• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:20
CEST 16:20
KST 23:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)56Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9887 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 175

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 173 174 175 176 177 653 Next
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
July 10 2012 03:10 GMT
#3481
Not really if you don't have relevant headphones, loudspeakers, and/or good source material.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
July 10 2012 03:18 GMT
#3482
Something like a Xonar DX will definitely produce a higher-fidelity audio output (well, same goes for inputs). As alluded to above, that may not result in any appreciably different or better sound. Certainly a sound card is not high on the list of parts of the audio chain that matter a lot.

If it's for speakers and you have a high-end system already, then sure (though to be honest, some calibration and room treatment might be more important anyway, assuming the onboard audio is okay). For headphones, it's not really a good option—unless you have a dedicated headphone amp—since its line output is not that well suited to driving headphones directly.
teknotrance
Profile Joined March 2012
61 Posts
July 10 2012 06:07 GMT
#3483
On July 06 2012 11:16 Myrmidon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 06 2012 10:59 teknotrance wrote:
can you crossfire 6790 with 6950 or 6850?


6870, 6850, or another 6790 will work (and all should give the performance of Crossfire 6790s), at least to the extent that Crossfire works in general. All three of these are based on the Barts GPU. Others will not work.



how about 6950 2gb?
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
July 10 2012 06:11 GMT
#3484
On July 10 2012 15:07 teknotrance wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 06 2012 11:16 Myrmidon wrote:
On July 06 2012 10:59 teknotrance wrote:
can you crossfire 6790 with 6950 or 6850?


6870, 6850, or another 6790 will work (and all should give the performance of Crossfire 6790s), at least to the extent that Crossfire works in general. All three of these are based on the Barts GPU. Others will not work.



how about 6950 2gb?

I think you're looking for this?
On July 06 2012 11:16 Myrmidon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 06 2012 10:59 teknotrance wrote:
can you crossfire 6790 with 6950 or 6850?


6870, 6850, or another 6790 will work (and all should give the performance of Crossfire 6790s), at least to the extent that Crossfire works in general. All three of these are based on the Barts GPU. Others will not work. [explanation: see unbolded text]
-iNko
Profile Joined August 2010
Lithuania160 Posts
July 10 2012 06:41 GMT
#3485
On July 09 2012 03:06 -iNko wrote:
I need to buy a cooler for my cpu and also need to pick a psu

Currently i have these:
i5 2500k plan to overclock to 4,5ghz
asus p67 sabertooth motherboard
palit gtx 560ti

For cpu cooler i have this in mind - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo , will this be enough for a stable 4,5?
For psu - PSU Cooler Master ATX GX 650W , note - i plan on getting a 2nd gpu for sli, so will this psu be enough?

Are my choices good or would u guys recommend something else?

Ty


^ anyone?
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
July 10 2012 07:33 GMT
#3486
Hyper 212 Evo is enough. Unless your CPU in particular is very bad, pretty much any tower cooler with a 120mm fan (and some others) will be enough.

If the Cooler Master GX 650W is 80 plus (model RS-650-ACAA-E3), I would exercise caution if running SLI GTX 560s. Don't overclock everything a lot and fully stress your system heavily as a regular occurrence. If it's the newer 80 plus bronze model (RS-650-ACAA-D3) it should be okay regardless. Generally there should be better options available though; I would definitely not buy the RS-650-ACAA-E3, and the D3 model may not be priced that well anyway.
Rulker
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
United States1477 Posts
July 10 2012 11:46 GMT
#3487
Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide or thread (counldnt find one) to play on korea? These are my resources:

American Credit Card,

Adress etc etc,

Battle.net account with copy of NA sc2



I can buy a taiwan account or something, and also how do i use something i read about called the "Relocalization mod"?
Atoissen
Profile Joined July 2011
Norway1737 Posts
July 10 2012 19:17 GMT
#3488
Hi

What kind of ad-aware should I use, is there any free ones you would recommend?

PS, browse with Chrome and got Norton for Anti virus, anything els I should have to be safe?
And yes, I do surf on questionable sites QQ
“Strength lies not in defense but in attack.”
Mandarinez
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States52 Posts
July 10 2012 20:50 GMT
#3489
Would asking TL for an appraisal of what my pc would get on craigslist be in poor taste?
Tegin
Profile Joined November 2010
United States840 Posts
July 10 2012 23:23 GMT
#3490
Ok so I searched around and couldn't get a straight answer to the question I have which is: If I have a monitor that supports 1920 x 1080 resolution plugged in via DVI or D-Sub to my + Show Spoiler +
EVGA 570GTX
will it appear on my monitor at 1080p or do I need to use an HDMI connection?
Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-10 23:34:50
July 10 2012 23:32 GMT
#3491
On July 10 2012 15:07 teknotrance wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 06 2012 11:16 Myrmidon wrote:
On July 06 2012 10:59 teknotrance wrote:
can you crossfire 6790 with 6950 or 6850?


6870, 6850, or another 6790 will work (and all should give the performance of Crossfire 6790s), at least to the extent that Crossfire works in general. All three of these are based on the Barts GPU. Others will not work.



how about 6950 2gb?


I decided to answer all questions about crossfire with a chart.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


A tad old, but the spirit is the same.
twitch.tv/medrea
Mondieu
Profile Joined November 2011
Romania803 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-11 00:26:40
July 11 2012 00:02 GMT
#3492
Hello TL Tech Support. I've been looking for a new laptop for Guild Wars 2 and I think that I finally found something that is worth buying; it is cheap but at the same time delivers performance, or so it seems.

It is the ''Laptop Acer Aspire 5755G-2438G''. I found in on an online store in romania for about 500 euros. I'm going to use it mainly for games I guess. Is the ''Acer'' brand up for that, will it last me more than 2-3 years (or around that) if I take care of it properly, even though it may be on for 10 hours straight of gameplay?

Didn't have a laptop exclusively for gaming so far, but something more demanding than Guild Wars 2 I am certain that I won't play on it. I haven't found any negative reviews on it so far, only that the display isn't top notch etc; but w/e, i'll plug a monitor onto it if I want awesome display.

Laptop Info: Intel® Core™ i5
i5-2430M 2.4 GHz
8GB Ram
750GB HDD 5400 RPM
Geforce 540M 2GB

Found even more Acer laptops for cheaper and the same performances. Should I go with Acer?
AJCpar
Profile Joined February 2012
United States32 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-11 03:22:20
July 11 2012 03:12 GMT
#3493
Hey guys, I have a question about RAM and my CPU Cooler. I'm planning to get a Cooler Master TPC-812, and I was wondering if it would be too big for G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2x4GB) on an ASUS P8Z77-V Pro motherboard in a HAF XM Chassis. Thanks!

Edit: Also, I forgot! The Sniper Series RAM I was planning on buying was overclocked (at least I believe it was because it runs at 1.6v and 2133MHz. You can see it here. I was also wondering about the issues that this could occur with the mobo (if any), and if I should buy it at this price (I think it's a great deal), however, if there are too many problems, G.Skill Ripjawz X RAM is also available at the same price but with no OC and running at 1866. Thanks again!
Dali.
Profile Joined June 2010
New Zealand689 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-11 03:59:49
July 11 2012 03:59 GMT
#3494
Hihi :D

Whenever I play a ladder game that sees an engagement of two reasonably sized armies, I get substantial graphical lag. Two maxed armies would usually see a drop to ~10-15 fps in the height of battle. This seems well below the computers capabilities.

PC Specs:

I5 2500
Sapphire 6870 (GPU clock @ 900mhz, Memory clock at 1160mhz)
8gb Kingston ram
2 monitors

SC2 settings:
1920x1080
Low/med
Windowed (full screen)

I have, at this moment Fastest map open at full siply (300) with a ton of hatches, queens, drones and larvae all active on screen. I'm currently idling at 8fps on FULL low, when I change to FULL extreme, it goes down to about 5 fps. The weirds thing is that my CPU usage is only at ~35-40% on all cores, at ~38-40 degrees and my GFX card is 47 degrees @ 63% fan speed.

I'd love if someone could give any advice on how to fix the lag I'm experiencing or if this simply a reality of this hardware.

Thanks :D
Arkaridge
Profile Joined June 2010
Australia48 Posts
July 11 2012 04:20 GMT
#3495
On July 11 2012 12:12 AJCpar wrote:
Hey guys, I have a question about RAM and my CPU Cooler. I'm planning to get a Cooler Master TPC-812, and I was wondering if it would be too big for G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2x4GB) on an ASUS P8Z77-V Pro motherboard in a HAF XM Chassis. Thanks!

Edit: Also, I forgot! The Sniper Series RAM I was planning on buying was overclocked (at least I believe it was because it runs at 1.6v and 2133MHz. You can see it here. I was also wondering about the issues that this could occur with the mobo (if any), and if I should buy it at this price (I think it's a great deal), however, if there are too many problems, G.Skill Ripjawz X RAM is also available at the same price but with no OC and running at 1866. Thanks again!


The G.Skill sniper series are pretty low profile, so they should fit under the cooler. (just make sure to have the RAM installed first before installing cooler). And the case has enough clearence in general to fit the cooler. Getting Ripjawz X RAM may be too tall to fit under the heatsink. It's probably worth noting that for gaming, increased RAM speed doesn't really help with gaming performance (fps will be pretty much same).
findingthelimit
Profile Joined May 2012
Hong Kong219 Posts
July 11 2012 04:41 GMT
#3496
what is a PCI express 2.0 x16? When is it used? never built a computer before, but my understanding is that the PCIE 3.0x16 is for GPUs...

second question, what are SATA ports; specifically, what do their numbers denote? there are sata 3gb/s, 6gb/s, and RAID specifications on the motherboard, what do those mean? the comp i would like to build has a 128gb ssd and a 1tb hdd, what specs should i be looking for? 
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-11 07:00:57
July 11 2012 06:58 GMT
#3497
PCIe 16x is used for hardware that need a specific amount of bandwidth. Typically GPUs will use it. For GPUs, there is literally no difference between PCIe 16x 2.0 and 3.0.

As for SATA ports, its what you think it means. It denotes the maximum speed of the port.

RAID is simply a technol that harnesses multiple disks to create redundancy. Ignore and don't touch RAID. Just back up information like a normal human being.

On July 11 2012 12:12 AJCpar wrote:
Hey guys, I have a question about RAM and my CPU Cooler. I'm planning to get a Cooler Master TPC-812, and I was wondering if it would be too big for G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2x4GB) on an ASUS P8Z77-V Pro motherboard in a HAF XM Chassis. Thanks!

Edit: Also, I forgot! The Sniper Series RAM I was planning on buying was overclocked (at least I believe it was because it runs at 1.6v and 2133MHz. You can see it here. I was also wondering about the issues that this could occur with the mobo (if any), and if I should buy it at this price (I think it's a great deal), however, if there are too many problems, G.Skill Ripjawz X RAM is also available at the same price but with no OC and running at 1866. Thanks again!


RAM speeds are useless. That's not a good deal. You can get 8GB of 1333mhz memory for under $40. Memory heatsinks do shit all. RAM inside a consumer desktop doesn't get boiling hot.
Tazerenix
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia340 Posts
July 11 2012 07:13 GMT
#3498
On July 10 2012 20:46 Rulker wrote:
Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide or thread (counldnt find one) to play on korea? These are my resources:

American Credit Card,

Adress etc etc,

Battle.net account with copy of NA sc2



I can buy a taiwan account or something, and also how do i use something i read about called the "Relocalization mod"?

You can purchase taiwanese starcraft copies off http://sc2sea.com

I've purchased a copy myself and its pretty seemless. You can also use your current battle.net account for the taiwanese login.
billy5000
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States865 Posts
July 13 2012 00:55 GMT
#3499
I've had this hard drive for almost 4 years now, and I'm trying to prepare for the worst by backing up my stuff. I should note that it has a retail version of windows 7.

1) If my hard drive were to die tomorrow, is the only way of activating it on a new hard drive by calling microsoft?

2) And also, if I do manage to activate windows 7 on the new hard drive, would a backup dvd completely restore the new hard drive as if it were my old hard drive?

Thanks.
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly; Man got to sit and wonder, 'Why, why, why?' Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land; Man got to tell himself he understand. Vonnegut
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
July 13 2012 01:07 GMT
#3500
On July 13 2012 09:55 billy5000 wrote:
I've had this hard drive for almost 4 years now, and I'm trying to prepare for the worst by backing up my stuff. I should note that it has a retail version of windows 7.

1) If my hard drive were to die tomorrow, is the only way of activating it on a new hard drive by calling microsoft?

2) And also, if I do manage to activate windows 7 on the new hard drive, would a backup dvd completely restore the new hard drive as if it were my old hard drive?

Thanks.


If you're worried about stuff on the HDD, and have no hardware changes besides a new HDD planned, just clone that puppy. I'm not up to date on cloning software, because I don't have a bandwidth cap, so I take advantage of needing to reinstall to clear out the excess bullshit, but someone should be able to give you the top dogs.

Pretty sure there's some free cloning utilities through sourceforge, though. And that will save all the headaches you're asking about.
Prev 1 173 174 175 176 177 653 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 912
ComeBackTV 592
SteadfastSC452
TaKeTV 336
Rex158
IndyStarCraft 102
EnkiAlexander 49
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 458
ProTech146
Rex 130
IndyStarCraft 106
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 47978
Bisu 2909
Horang2 1379
EffOrt 767
Soma 572
BeSt 564
Hyuk 533
Light 430
Mini 424
Larva 342
[ Show more ]
ZerO 231
Rush 217
Mong 83
Leta 72
910 61
Sea.KH 58
Snow 53
Pusan 51
ToSsGirL 45
Mind 36
Sexy 33
Aegong 31
JYJ 29
Yoon 24
Bale 23
Terrorterran 20
Trap 17
Rock 12
Noble 10
Sacsri 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc6274
qojqva252
Counter-Strike
Fnx 770
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1457
Khaldor1093
Lowko464
Other Games
singsing2061
olofmeister1750
hiko1379
Beastyqt583
B2W.Neo407
Livibee197
Hui .183
XaKoH 153
Liquid`VortiX145
ArmadaUGS106
djWHEAT83
Mew2King68
KnowMe62
QueenE56
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV198
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream83
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 11
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 32
• FirePhoenix10
• Michael_bg 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2935
Other Games
• Shiphtur22
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 40m
CranKy Ducklings
19h 40m
Online Event
20h 40m
FEL
1d 1h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 2h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 4h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 19h
INu's Battles
1d 21h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.