• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:22
CEST 18:22
KST 01:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12898 users

[Guideline] SC2 Computers - Page 41

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 39 40 41 42 43 66 Next
guitarizt
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States1492 Posts
April 28 2010 20:57 GMT
#801
I run on low and it uses up slightly over 700 mb of ram.
“There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.” - Hemingway
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
April 28 2010 20:59 GMT
#802
On April 29 2010 05:42 Terrakin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2010 11:19 FragKrag wrote:
He is running the game at low (presumably). He shouldn't need much more RAM than that unless he is running a lot of programs in the background.

Ursad0n: I have no way of knowing

So ram wont help FPS, just the ability to multitask?


Once above a certain threshold (enough to run the game), additional ram won't help.
DanceDance
Profile Joined November 2008
226 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-29 03:13:16
April 29 2010 03:11 GMT
#803
Computer Specs:
CPU: i5 750
Graphics: 5770
RAM: 4gb ddr3
OS: Windows 7 32bit
Resolution: 1680 x 1050 x 32

Ultra/High settings
Average 85-95 FPS

With Shaders, Shadows, Texture Quality and Physics set to High and all other settings set to Ultra, I average 85-95 FPS. I haven't seen it drop below 70FPS.

With everything set to Ultra, I get an average of 55 FPS.

With all settings set to Low, I get an average of 200 FPS.

I can definitely see a performance difference between 55FPS and 85-95FPS. I can not see any performance difference between 85-95 FPS and 200 FPS.

In my opinion, I can not see hardly any visual difference between High and Ultra settings. It looks the same to me.

I am very happy with the performance and visuals.

Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
April 30 2010 00:28 GMT
#804
Would anything http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2032280010 1308920938&name=Gaming beat the builds tat were presented to me?
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
April 30 2010 01:35 GMT
#805
probably not
It's nice to have a warranty and to not build it yourself, but you're guaranteed to get some shady parts (PSU, ram) unless u configure it yourself on their website, and then you pay an arm and a leg. For this price point it'll always be cheaper to build it yourself. If you're looking at more the $500 price range then the difference is more neglible, in that you probably won't go for top end parts anyways, so the fact that you get some no name PSU isn't as big of a deal

You're still better off making your own, that's a pretty wide range of available products though, give a target price and let's see what can be built
BluE[SKA]
Profile Joined September 2006
United States35 Posts
April 30 2010 01:50 GMT
#806
On April 30 2010 09:28 Froadac wrote:
Would anything http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2032280010 1308920938&name=Gaming beat the builds tat were presented to me?

I was looking at this same list of comps to buy for sc2 lol
i was looking at this one particularly http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227241
is it a good computer for the price?
can it run sc2? (im pretty sure it can;
and also does it have wireless capabilities? or do i have to buy a wireless card or sumthing
w00t
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
April 30 2010 02:42 GMT
#807
On April 30 2010 10:35 KOFgokuon wrote:
probably not
It's nice to have a warranty and to not build it yourself, but you're guaranteed to get some shady parts (PSU, ram) unless u configure it yourself on their website, and then you pay an arm and a leg. For this price point it'll always be cheaper to build it yourself. If you're looking at more the $500 price range then the difference is more neglible, in that you probably won't go for top end parts anyways, so the fact that you get some no name PSU isn't as big of a deal

You're still better off making your own, that's a pretty wide range of available products though, give a target price and let's see what can be built

Alright. Here is a not complete, but general summary of three builds presented to me earlier in the thread. What do you think about these builds? Thanks.
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
April 30 2010 05:00 GMT
#808
On April 30 2010 10:50 BluE[SKA] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 30 2010 09:28 Froadac wrote:
Would anything http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2032280010 1308920938&name=Gaming beat the builds tat were presented to me?

I was looking at this same list of comps to buy for sc2 lol
i was looking at this one particularly http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227241
is it a good computer for the price?
can it run sc2? (im pretty sure it can;
and also does it have wireless capabilities? or do i have to buy a wireless card or sumthing


you're have to buy a wireless card, 5450 looks to be between a 4350 and a 4650, so it could probably play at medium or so depending on your resolution. I dunno I'd still build my own just so that I would know exactly went into it
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
April 30 2010 05:01 GMT
#809
On April 30 2010 11:42 Froadac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 30 2010 10:35 KOFgokuon wrote:
probably not
It's nice to have a warranty and to not build it yourself, but you're guaranteed to get some shady parts (PSU, ram) unless u configure it yourself on their website, and then you pay an arm and a leg. For this price point it'll always be cheaper to build it yourself. If you're looking at more the $500 price range then the difference is more neglible, in that you probably won't go for top end parts anyways, so the fact that you get some no name PSU isn't as big of a deal

You're still better off making your own, that's a pretty wide range of available products though, give a target price and let's see what can be built

Alright. Here is a not complete, but general summary of three builds presented to me earlier in the thread. What do you think about these builds? Thanks.


well these builds are solid, and you definitely get more bang for your buck than these other ones, higher quality case / psu / ram / cpu / gpu, i dunno what else you want haha
Ignorant prodigy
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States385 Posts
April 30 2010 16:05 GMT
#810
my head is spinning. I'm new to all of this.
Can some one point me to an 'out of the box' comp that can handle this game on it's highest setting (in it's current configuration) that won't cost me my left arm?

I thought I had it all figured out.. then I started reading this thread and I realized I have no idea what I'm doing.
http://www.twitch.tv/ignorantprodigy playing masters random with no hotkeys......big pimpin'
Prem_
Profile Joined April 2010
United States85 Posts
April 30 2010 16:15 GMT
#811
My computer rocks. i have no problem.
The only good job is a blow job.
SoL[9]
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Portugal1370 Posts
April 30 2010 16:27 GMT
#812
My Pc Pentium(R) 4 2.66Hz 9 years old geezzz
2.68 Ghz
1,25 GB RAM
and my oldest graphic card was a Raedon 9200 Series so i put a GeForce FX5200 to see if happends some kinda miracle to run SC2. (I put this graphic because my motherboard cant handle others t_t)
The miracle happend it runs SC2 but is very slow is like im playing it lag even when a write in chat.

So my question is: what should i do?
Buy another motherboard, new graphic and (probably a new RAM???) Or Buy another pc?
The problem is that i dont have much money to spend...
I just want play SC2 with settings in middle atleast.

Sugestions plz thx


I Can Fly...
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-30 18:05:05
April 30 2010 18:03 GMT
#813
On May 01 2010 01:05 Ignorant prodigy wrote:
my head is spinning. I'm new to all of this.
Can some one point me to an 'out of the box' comp that can handle this game on it's highest setting (in it's current configuration) that won't cost me my left arm?

I thought I had it all figured out.. then I started reading this thread and I realized I have no idea what I'm doing.


give me a budget
If you want to run on ultra, you don't have windows, and you don't have a monitor, and you don't have any parts that you can recycle, for ultra you're looking at $900 minimum

On May 01 2010 01:27 SoL[9] wrote:
My Pc Pentium(R) 4 2.66Hz 9 years old geezzz
2.68 Ghz
1,25 GB RAM
and my oldest graphic card was a Raedon 9200 Series so i put a GeForce FX5200 to see if happends some kinda miracle to run SC2. (I put this graphic because my motherboard cant handle others t_t)
The miracle happend it runs SC2 but is very slow is like im playing it lag even when a write in chat.

So my question is: what should i do?
Buy another motherboard, new graphic and (probably a new RAM???) Or Buy another pc?
The problem is that i dont have much money to spend...
I just want play SC2 with settings in middle atleast.

Sugestions plz thx




you need to start from scratch, nothing from your PC will be updated enough for a new system
For medium you can get a PC probably for more like $600 that will run it well, again it depends on what resolution you're running
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
May 01 2010 00:05 GMT
#814
On April 30 2010 14:01 KOFgokuon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 30 2010 11:42 Froadac wrote:
On April 30 2010 10:35 KOFgokuon wrote:
probably not
It's nice to have a warranty and to not build it yourself, but you're guaranteed to get some shady parts (PSU, ram) unless u configure it yourself on their website, and then you pay an arm and a leg. For this price point it'll always be cheaper to build it yourself. If you're looking at more the $500 price range then the difference is more neglible, in that you probably won't go for top end parts anyways, so the fact that you get some no name PSU isn't as big of a deal

You're still better off making your own, that's a pretty wide range of available products though, give a target price and let's see what can be built

Alright. Here is a not complete, but general summary of three builds presented to me earlier in the thread. What do you think about these builds? Thanks.


well these builds are solid, and you definitely get more bang for your buck than these other ones, higher quality case / psu / ram / cpu / gpu, i dunno what else you want haha

Thanks for the confirmation :D
sutureself
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
United States192 Posts
May 01 2010 05:32 GMT
#815
System specs:

3 year old Dell Inspiron 531 running Win XP/SP3
AMD Athlon X2 Dualcore 3.03 GHz
ATI HD Radeon 4670 512MB
4GB RAM

Can run at High settings at 1680x1050x32b resolution with no probs. FPS stays around 65-75ish mostly (I play terran). Drops a little when in a big zerg base.

Of note, I have shadows turned off/2D portraits/Lighting off, which gives a significant boost to my FPS with little to no difference from a visual perspective.
Im tired of following my dreams, man. Im just going to ask them where theyre going and hook up with them later. -mh
jolenar
Profile Joined March 2010
United States23 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-02 02:28:12
May 02 2010 02:21 GMT
#816
so I just got a beta key; is there any way I can overclock this system and get it to run at ultra low smoothly, as it currently doesn't even meet minimum requirements? It's old as shit (like 7 years ago) but I'm going to wait until summer before getting a laptop so I just need it to last 2-3 months.

what clock speeds would I need the GPU and CPU to be at?

Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz
NVidia 6200 (the PCI version lol)
1.2GB RAM
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
May 02 2010 14:20 GMT
#817
well, they say that you need a pentium IV 2.2 GHz to run it, so you actually might be ok cpu wise
Your gpu is definitely going to be a problem though, and I don't know much about overclocking gpu's, but something that old...have you tried to run it?
Spirit_of_smoke
Profile Joined October 2002
United States11 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-03 00:07:38
May 03 2010 00:01 GMT
#818
Computer Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+ (2.4 GHZ)
Nvidia 8800GT PCI Express (I believe it's 512MB however, it could be 1024)
2GB of DDR2 Ram (The speed escapes me and I'm not entirely sure how to check it anymore.)
Windows XP SP3

Basically, I can run the game fairly well. But, in every match I will get a 4-5s freeze multiple times in a 20 minute game. I'm assuming it's because I'm using a single core processor. I plan on upgrading soon and I'm thinking I should just go for a Quad Core Processor and a new motherboard. I'm looking to spend about ~$400 and debating on getting Windows 7 while doing this current upgrade. However, I do plan on upgrading the rest of my computer later this year, I'm just trying to decide which pieces would help improve my performance the most. I.E. getting rid of the stutter.

Thoughts / suggestions? I'm kind of curious about the ram. If I do upgrade to a Quad Core/ newer mobo I'm curious if my ram will still be compatible. Should I upgrade my ram right now as well? Or can I get away with doing it later this year?

Edit: Clarification: I'm looking to spend $400 now, the upgrades that I'm going to do later this year will have a different budget.
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
May 03 2010 01:03 GMT
#819
Assuming you're going to stay with AMD,

if you want to use your current ram with your new system, you're going to have to buy an AM2+ board, and then when you buy your ram, you have to buy DDR2 ram. The better idea would be to wait a month or so, save up enough money, and then buy the ram/MB/cpu all at the same time so that you can get DDR3, an AM3 board, and a new cpu.

I don't know if you're a student but windows could be a little pricey, like $100, so between that a new cpu and motherboard, that's already $330 or so. If you can afford a little more than $400 then you can get 4 gb and ram then you're set for a while

if you go the intel route then you can only buy a 775 socket cpu if you want to re-use your ram, which means the core2duo line, which has been a defunct socket for a while. if you go 1156 it'll also be a little more expensive,

I'd recommended waiting or spending a little more than your budget
MarCoon
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Germany493 Posts
May 06 2010 13:44 GMT
#820
I have a question about the GPU I want to buy.
I either want to buy this one:
http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a453920.html

or

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a477960.html

I know the sites are in german, but the cards are still the same everywhere on the world
I basically want to play SC2 in medium settings maybe in high settings if possible.

Thank you in advance for your help guys.
~follow me on twitter.com/GGmarCoon
Prev 1 39 40 41 42 43 66 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM809
TKL 318
IndyStarCraft 209
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 809
ByuN 321
TKL 318
Reynor 315
IndyStarCraft 209
Railgan 75
BRAT_OK 31
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 53104
Bisu 2769
Calm 2489
FanTaSy 740
Stork 581
Rush 469
hero 283
firebathero 178
actioN 125
Sharp 90
[ Show more ]
Sea.KH 60
Free 51
Mong 30
ToSsGirL 30
Pusan 27
soO 25
Rock 24
HiyA 18
Hm[arnc] 16
Terrorterran 14
Aegong 13
scan(afreeca) 11
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc10619
Dendi1017
Counter-Strike
fl0m5318
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King68
Heroes of the Storm
MindelVK11
Other Games
singsing2000
Liquid`RaSZi1577
B2W.Neo676
Beastyqt591
Khaldor506
Mlord467
olofmeister424
KnowMe333
crisheroes171
FrodaN71
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV249
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 16
• Adnapsc2 13
• Reevou 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach47
• Azhi_Dahaki4
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV531
League of Legends
• Nemesis3305
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1539
Other Games
• Shiphtur513
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 38m
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 38m
OSC
6h 38m
Replay Cast
6h 38m
OSC
19h 38m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.