• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:45
CEST 00:45
KST 07:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War365.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7667 users

Q&A with Zoun, the GSL's breakout Protoss

Forum Index > SC2 General
12 CommentsPost a Reply
TL.net ESPORTS
Profile Joined July 2011
4 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-01-27 18:04:31
November 12 2020 19:32 GMT
#1
[image loading]

by: TheOneAboveU

With Zest & Stats facing impending military service and sOs declining in form, things have looked bleak for Korean Protosses. However, breakout player (Wiki)Zoun has offered them a glimmer of hope, reaching the RO16 of Code S while going toe-to-toe with championship caliber players in the Gold Series team competitions.

TL.net talked to the Alpha X Protoss about returning to StarCraft II after retiring in 2016, his unusual playstyle, and his plans going forward.



TheOneAboveU: Hello Zoun, thank you for taking the time and talking to us! First, how did you start down the path of becoming a progamer?

I was a viewer of Brood War Proleague when I came across StarCraft II. I wanted to play on that stage as well, so I decided to try and go pro.

You originally started out on Prime during the Proleague era and then went to SK Telecom T1. What did it mean to you back then to play for such a historical team as SKT?

I thought "Me, joining SKT?"

I was happy that the team had a great system, living up to its reputation.

SKT's StarCraft II team disbanded in 2016 and you were picked up by Alpha X in 2020, so you were on your own for close to four years. How difficult were those years for you and why did you ultimately return to professional StarCraft 2?

Zoun: When the team first disbanded, I switched to Overwatch before I had to quit for some external reasons. After that, I tried League of legends, and I joined a team called APK. However, there were a lot of players who were younger and better than me, so I gave that up. After that I was studying how to use 3D architecture/design software.

Along the way, I wanted to play some StarCraft II before I started my military service, and somehow I ended up sticking to it.

How did you come into contact with Alpha X after being teamless for so long?

I kept getting offers from teams as I was streaming, and I ended up joining Alpha X because they offered the best conditions.

Your performances this year have won you many new fans around the world, and some are calling you the new Protoss hope. Do you feel more pressure from expectations on you becoming higher?

My goal this year was to reach the GSL round of eight, but unfortunately I wasn't able to reach that goal. I'm proud that I got satisfactory results in tournaments like King of Battles and the Gold Series Team Championship—obviously, you feel pressure as a progamer to get good results.

Your gameplay style is known for its broad variety of builds—you can play excellent cheeses, but also very solid macro games—do you have any idol as a play, someone you try to emulate?

Before I quit StarCraft II the first time, I really liked macro-oriented play so I liked playstyles similar to Rain. But I learned a lot from watching Classic and Myungsik's play on SKT, and I learned a lot of strategic play as well.

How difficult is it for you to maintain good form in both tricky play and macro at the same time?

I think you have to have a solid base as a macro player to show off those strategic plays.

It seems like your signature-style in PvT is going for Phoenixes, you did it a lot in the GTC Spring season and then against INnoVation in last season's playoffs, for example. Why do you like it so much, what are the strengths of the style?

There's so many things Terran can open with. But if you go Phoenixes, you can at least force your way to a macro game, even if you give up a bit of an advantage early on—that's why I use them a lot. I don't like Robo or Twilight starts as much, because you give up too much of an advantage.

Let's talk about GTC a bit more—congratulations on getting second place this season! How important is competing in a team league for you? Does it bring back memories from Proleague, from the start of your career?

My teammates outperformed expectations, so I was really disappointed that I let them down by slipping up at the end. The GTC was fun because it let me feel nostalgia from the old Proleague days.

RagnaroK and Nice replaced Astrea and BreakingGG on your roster for the latest season. How was it for you getting two new team mates to work with?

Astrea and BreakinGG played well in their own unique ways, and I was happy to play with good players as well this season.

What's your team's greatest strength in your opinion?

I think the team's greatest strengths are managing the players' condition, the amount of support they give us, and analyzing our opponents.

Your team is considered to be very strong at preparing for your opponents, are you players doing most of this work, or is the team supporting you with gathering information and so on?

I don't know if it's as much preparation as it is every player utilizing their individual strengths to the max, sharing information with each other, and being confident.

How did the routine change for the playoffs, since you couldn't do that much preparation for those games?

It was unfortunate that the playoffs were so condensed, so we didn't have much time to prepare. I think if we had more time, we could have won the championship.

What was your reaction when you saw TIME instead of INnoVation in the ace match of the Grand Finals?

TIME has really increased his skill level lately and my recent head-to-head record against him isn't that good. I almost never get nervous in team competitions, but I was nervous playing against TIME.


Zoun takes down INnoVation to qualify for the Code S RO16


How does it feel to be called the 'INnoVation-killer?' He's one of the greatest players of all time, but he seemed afraid to play against you in the GTC ace match.

I don't think you can call me that since I've lost to him a lot recently. I think people are just paying me lip-service to be nice—when I play against INnoVation, the luck factor just goes my way.

It feels like you really grew stronger by playing in GTC every week for two seasons. Is the tournament helping you improve, giving you a goal every week?

Just having the competition is motivation in itself, so it makes me practice a lot.

Your ID was inspired by the famous general Zoun/Zhao Yun from China's Three Kingdoms era. Why do you like Zhao Yun especially?

I've liked The Romance of the Three Kingdoms since way back—particularly the characters from Liu Bei's faction. Among them, I thought "Zoun" sounded good coming off the tongue, so I went with that.

It was recently announced that Blizzard would stop the support of SC2 with new content. As a progamer, how do you feel about this? Does it change any of your plans for the future?

I was really disappointed in this news. But it didn't affect my future plans.

What is your goal for 2021?

Obviously, it's winning a championship.

Thank you very much for your time, Zoun, we wish you the best of luck in the future and hope to see more of you. This is your opportunity to make shout-outs!

There's a lot of people who've told me they're my fans lately, and that really makes me happy. I'll try to repay that with good play.


You can watch Zoun's stream at Twitch.tv/zoun123.

Liquid+ members can check in here!
Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
Xain0n
Profile Joined November 2018
Italy3963 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-11-12 19:40:52
November 12 2020 19:40 GMT
#2
Zoun seems nice and humble, it would be great to see him win a tournament!
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33707 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-11-12 19:50:44
November 12 2020 19:50 GMT
#3
apparently SC2 is like megaman where you absorb someone's powers by defeating them

Clear the case with Zoun and innovation's interview skills anyway (just kidding )
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
ZigguratOfUr
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Iraq16955 Posts
November 12 2020 19:53 GMT
#4
Before I quit StarCraft II the first time, I really liked macro-oriented play so I liked playstyles similar to Rain. But I learned a lot from watching Classic and Myungsik's play on SKT, and I learned a lot of strategic play as well.


Myungsik certainly had a lot to teach about cheese and other bs plays.
MoonyD
Profile Joined December 2013
Australia191 Posts
November 13 2020 00:17 GMT
#5
It's great to see there's still so hope and new promising Protoss players like Zoun an Astrea coming up in the ranks. It's still going to be a while though I think until we will ever get a dominant protoss player.
The world wants to be deceived
pvsnp
Profile Joined January 2017
7676 Posts
November 13 2020 01:12 GMT
#6
Wait, has Zoun already completed his military service?
Denominator of the Universe
TL+ Member
ZigguratOfUr
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Iraq16955 Posts
November 13 2020 01:18 GMT
#7
On November 13 2020 10:12 pvsnp wrote:
Wait, has Zoun already completed his military service?


Don't think so. But he's the youngest Korean in Code S so he has the time.
Zambrah
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States7393 Posts
November 13 2020 07:22 GMT
#8
Zoun is great. Protoss and does 3D, great combo.
Incremental change is the Democrat version of Trickle Down economics.
Edpayasugo
Profile Joined April 2013
United Kingdom2223 Posts
November 13 2020 08:39 GMT
#9
Nice
FlaSh MMA INnoVation FanTaSy MKP TY Ryung | soO Dark Rogue | HuK PartinG Stork State
col_jung
Profile Joined October 2017
139 Posts
November 13 2020 10:19 GMT
#10
Stellar play lately from Zoun. I hope he keeps it up.
DevilDriver
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Germany77 Posts
November 13 2020 11:24 GMT
#11
Nice interview, definitely one of my favourite protoss players at the moment
rickzou
Profile Joined May 2019
46 Posts
November 13 2020 16:28 GMT
#12
didn't know zoun means Zhao Yun, hahaha
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
November 13 2020 18:46 GMT
#13
Solid interviews, as to be expected from TL. Excited to see how Zoun does after a real breakout few months
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 15m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 158
ProTech133
ViBE90
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12750
910 80
NaDa 17
Dota 2
monkeys_forever355
canceldota135
League of Legends
Doublelift4155
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4193
Other Games
summit1g4654
C9.Mang0330
JimRising 312
Liquid`Hasu262
ToD208
PPMD29
JuggernautJason18
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 86
• musti20045 38
• poizon28 37
• RyuSc2 24
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix3
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21588
League of Legends
• Scarra978
Other Games
• imaqtpie1056
• Shiphtur583
• tFFMrPink 9
Upcoming Events
OSC
15m
Big Brain Bouts
11h 15m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
18h 15m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
20h 15m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 11h
Patches Events
1d 16h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 20h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.