• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:27
CEST 11:27
KST 18:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11128 users

SpeCial talks about the keys to group stage success & Zerg…

Forum Index > SC2 General
61 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
TL.net ESPORTS
Profile Joined July 2011
4 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-10-23 12:23:47
October 23 2019 09:41 GMT
#1
Interview conducted by Wax

TL.net interviewed #4 Circuit seed (Wiki)SpeCial ahead of the 2019 Global Finals, talking about the value of GSL-style preparation™, sharing strategies with TY, and how he prepares for BlizzCon. Also, just a liiitttle chat about balance. Just a little. I promise.

[image loading]


*This interview has been edited and condensed.


Wax: You've been very good at previous BlizzCons, advancing past the group stage in 2017 and 2018. Do you think you can do it again?

SpeCial: Yeah, yes last two times I advanced. One time I advanced in first, second time I advanced in second so, maybe, I hope I can do the same again. I mean, I'm starting to play better right now [note: interview was conducted shortly after Super Tournament II], and that's good because the tournament is not so far away. So if I can maintain... if I can maintain my pace and keep [improving], I think I can do it.

It's not... I'm not going to say I'm going to advance 100%, but I'm always going to try my hardest. I don't know! I think there's a chance.

You always say you play better when you have time to prepare for specific opponents like in the Global Finals.

Yes, that's the reason I think I always do well in the groups. Not only the groups, but even the first match. For the round-of-eight, there's also like, five days to prepare for that match. For example, the first year I beat Miko [Elazer]. Year two, I lost to Stats 1-3, but those games were actually insanely close. Like, the result doesn't tell the story. So I feel like, if I at least have some days to prepare, I think I can do well, regardless of who I play.

How specific is your preparation? A build or two for every map?

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Every map I have a build, or have a response to what he does, or what I think he will do. That's exactly how I prepare.

Has your experience from previous BlizzCons made you feel like you can start planning ahead for the later rounds where there's no time to prep?

No, I don't like that. I think that's a bad mentality to have. Because, if you lose in the group, it doesn't matter what you've prepared for the rest. I think it depends on the format, of course. Because, not to s*** talk, but let's say I play WCS, and I'm playing someone that's not a top Zerg. Then, of course, I can save stuff. But here, everyone is good, you know?

Does the change to best-of-five it harder for you this year?

Yeah, I think it's harder for Terran right now to win a BO5 than a BO3, but it's not impossible. How do I put it... Right now, the map pool is not very favored for Terran, so you're going to end up with some maps that are hard to prepare on. And BO5 is just in general, it tends to... normally favor like the better player, no matter what? I don't know, it's hard to explain. But it's still possible.

I think it's worse in general for everyone that's not super godly mechanically like Maru or Serral. It's bad, but it's not like you can't win, that's not how it works. You can still win.

Speaking of mechanics monsters, what did you think when you saw players like INnoVation or Maru just bringing a couple of builds to a series and bulldozing guys with mechanics?

Nowadays, actually it's rare to see that. I don't think I've seen that anymore, it's too easy to blind counter right now. They try to mix stuff up nowadays. For example, if you saw TY play the Super Tournament, he basically mixed his up his build every single game. I feel that's the biggest strength that I have right now. That's also why, for example, Maru won GSL's. He mixed up everything, and he played well.

Yeah, but TY was always like that. INnoVation has been notable for just playing the same build.

That was like, Heart of the Swarm, was that? He'd play Widow Mine against Zerg and he'd never lose. It was different back then. And also, people were worse at preparing back then, I think people are so much better now. Like, I like to put Zest up as an example. Before last year, he was still playing like one build every match-up, and he was so good on ladder, but he used to do really bad in tournaments.

Then, he started mixing stuff up, and he got like GSL finals, he went to BlizzCon. You know? That's one of the players who started mixing stuff up and started getting better results.

How closely do you collaborate with TY on strategies these days?

Consider that I just gave him like three builds against herO [in the Super Tournament], I would say really close. I was actually surprised he went mech, I didn't know he would go mech. But I gave him the openings. I just told him herO is weak against proxy because he always goes like one base.

Was the late mech a surprise?

We used to do that, it's not that bad. The problem is it only works on map like... It was very good on, for example, New Repugnancy or Kairos, because those maps are small. The smallest map right now is Winter's Gate, I would say. It makes sense on that map, but if you try on a bigger map, it doesn't really work. Protoss is really rich and there's no place to attack for you.

How do you discuss strategies? I know you have some decent game-related Korean.

His English is good enough now, he studies English. It's not super fluent, but it's good enough. And I know a lot of Korean game stuff, so it works.

Are you surprised at how historically bad Koreans have been at scouting the foreigners and their strats? There are some exceptions, but it's felt like you could do a ladder strat and catch someone off guard.

Yeah, I think it's dumb. I think there's no reason not to do the research. You can always learn from anyone, no matter who, you know? For example in BlizzCon 2017, the build I used to beat TY was from a 5.9K player. I played on ladder, I almost lost to it, and I thought, I can make this better. And I did, and it was a good build, man.

How do you feel about the progress you've made as a player since 2017?

I think after 2016 was s*** for me, at the beginning of 2017 I told myself I would go to Korea, and if I failed I would probably stop playing. So after that change of mind, I think my results have been mostly stable. So I'm very happy about that.

Any frustration about the pace of improvement slowing down, or are you just happy to be consistent?

Of course I would like to win, obviously. Who doesn't want to win, right? I think being stable is just as important as winning. If you're not stable, at least, you're not making any money so it's not worth it. Obviously I want to win, and I always aim to win. But if I can't win, at least I want to be stable.

I guess Serral existing is the biggest reason other players can't win.

Ehhhh... I don't think so. I think if we had time, like GSL, it would be easier to beat people like that. Zerg benefits the most from tournaments like [the WCS Circuit.]

That's a thing you've said for a while. Terran benefits the most from being able to prepare.

Yes, I've been saying that before Serral was dominant. I said that when Neeb was winning everything, remember back in 2017? I always said like, if I had time to prepare I could win this tournament, but... I mean, it's not an excuse, but it's just the way I feel. If I win one day, great. But I'll still think if you can prepare as Terran, it's just miles easier and better for you overall.

I mean, I'm not saying if I prepare I'm going to beat Serral every time, that's not what I mean. I'm probably gonna put up a better fight than when we played in the finals. Even though I lost 4-0, I feel like I played good in some games. But I feel like if I had time to prepare, I could make the score at least closer.

Let's talk about the Zerg is OP in late-game meme. You seem to think they're just OP in general?

The Overlord speed buff gave Zerg the option get free intel basically, and even if they don't get it... It's not like Terran can know if they're getting the OL-speed upgrade or not, because there's so many Zerg openings. Even if they don't get it, it already crosses out a lot builds for Terran, just because if they get overlord speed—ripperino, not good, you know?

And also, I feel like doing damage early on against Zerg nowadays is very hard because of maps. Just the way Zerg players got better at defending stuff. I feel like you always enter the mid-game in a disadvantage you know. I feel like, there should be some stuff changed about the way Zerg works. Some drastic change, I think. I don't think it's particularly fair that creep gives vision, for example. I think that's really dumb.

And this map pool is particularly bad?

Yeah it's terrible. It's just big. There's no good pushing spots. They're just wide open, there's no real harassment options, kind of. I think it's just not good for Terran in this scenario. When one of your best maps is Thunderbird, you know something is wrong. That map wasn't event hat good last season.

What's your goal for the global finals?

As I always say, my goal is to win, but I take it round-by-round. The first thing is advance from your f***ing group. If I advance from the group, I'll think about round-of-eight.

But my goal is always to win, doesn't matter, the tournaments I really care about, I always try to win.

Any final comments to your fans?

As I always say, I'm trying my best here. I really try to do well for myself and for my fans, obviously.

Keep the good vibes, and the Doritos will come, I promise. Well I don't promise, because I never promise. But they will come.


You can follow SpeCial on Twitter at @SpeCialsc2 for quality Pokemon and StarCraft II content. SpeCial will play in his WCS Global Finals group with Dark, ShoWTimE, and soO on Thursday, Oct 24 3:00am GMT (GMT+00:00)
Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
DSh1
Profile Joined April 2017
292 Posts
October 23 2019 10:47 GMT
#2
nice
Harris1st
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany7412 Posts
October 23 2019 11:12 GMT
#3
Cool interview!
Interesting that he just mentions Zerg scouting as the biggest threat, not even Infestor or Broodlords. Analog to what we discussed in the other thread, changes to Ovi speed or creep vision
Go Serral! GG EZ for Ence. Flashbang dance FTW
Ej_
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
47656 Posts
October 23 2019 11:18 GMT
#4
On October 23 2019 20:12 Harris1st wrote:
Cool interview!
Interesting that he just mentions Zerg scouting as the biggest threat, not even Infestor or Broodlords. Analog to what we discussed in the other thread, changes to Ovi speed or creep vision

Infestor/BL is a ZvP problem. Terran struggles atm because their builds are too easy for Zerg to read.
I think the creep vision complaint is misguided, whenever creep spreads to the point of a virtual maphack, it's because the Zerg had too much freedom earlier in the game. Creep wasn't nearly as overpresent in early LotV or even HotS, when Zerg's early game was much weaker.
"Technically the dictionary has zero authority on the meaning or words" - Rodya
Shuffleblade
Profile Joined February 2012
Sweden1903 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-10-23 11:34:03
October 23 2019 11:32 GMT
#5
On October 23 2019 20:18 Ej_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 23 2019 20:12 Harris1st wrote:
Cool interview!
Interesting that he just mentions Zerg scouting as the biggest threat, not even Infestor or Broodlords. Analog to what we discussed in the other thread, changes to Ovi speed or creep vision

Infestor/BL is a ZvP problem. Terran struggles atm because their builds are too easy for Zerg to read.
I think the creep vision complaint is misguided, whenever creep spreads to the point of a virtual maphack, it's because the Zerg had too much freedom earlier in the game. Creep wasn't nearly as overpresent in early LotV or even HotS, when Zerg's early game was much weaker.

So terran struggles early and mid game because their builds and pushes are easy to scout and predict. Then you say creep spread is not a problem because terran should kill or cripple zerg early....

So first you state early terran attacks are weak and inneffective and then you say terran needs to pressure early?

Something needs to change, either zergs power in mid-late game or terrans ability to pressure/harass early game, either of those would work.

The problem with creep also is the map pool right now, even if you do a mid game push you will need to step far onto creep to do any damage. Its not only late game that creep has gotten a bit too poweful.

Also because the maps are so open pure ling bane kills absolutely everything terran can build that isn't in the skies. Zerglings and banelings are simply OP in this mappool and tanks are crap
Maru, Bomber, TY, Dear, Classic, DeParture and Rogue!
LTCM
Profile Joined May 2017
174 Posts
October 23 2019 11:48 GMT
#6
The thing I remember most about off racing as Zerg is the feeling that I had a map hack on. Zerg's vision and scouting is that insane. Couldn't agree more with special about his comments.
Byun is a convicted match-fixer.
Ej_
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
47656 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-10-23 13:07:12
October 23 2019 11:55 GMT
#7
On October 23 2019 20:32 Shuffleblade wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 23 2019 20:18 Ej_ wrote:
On October 23 2019 20:12 Harris1st wrote:
Cool interview!
Interesting that he just mentions Zerg scouting as the biggest threat, not even Infestor or Broodlords. Analog to what we discussed in the other thread, changes to Ovi speed or creep vision

Infestor/BL is a ZvP problem. Terran struggles atm because their builds are too easy for Zerg to read.
I think the creep vision complaint is misguided, whenever creep spreads to the point of a virtual maphack, it's because the Zerg had too much freedom earlier in the game. Creep wasn't nearly as overpresent in early LotV or even HotS, when Zerg's early game was much weaker.

So terran struggles early and mid game because their builds and pushes are easy to scout and predict. Then you say creep spread is not a problem because terran should kill or cripple zerg early....

So first you state early terran attacks are weak and inneffective and then you say terran needs to pressure early?

Something needs to change, either zergs power in mid-late game or terrans ability to pressure/harass early game, either of those would work.

Yes, I think Zerg has much more freedom in early game than they used to, whether it's because they can make drones and queens over combat units, or scout and prepare for every offensive play (which didn't use to be a thing, anybody remember when Zerg started 1/1 significantly after Terran in 2015?).
You could tackle the strentgh of creep here, but IMHO the real culprit is the combination of queen's early game+ease of overlord scouting.
"Technically the dictionary has zero authority on the meaning or words" - Rodya
Shuffleblade
Profile Joined February 2012
Sweden1903 Posts
October 23 2019 12:08 GMT
#8
On October 23 2019 20:55 Ej_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 23 2019 20:32 Shuffleblade wrote:
On October 23 2019 20:18 Ej_ wrote:
On October 23 2019 20:12 Harris1st wrote:
Cool interview!
Interesting that he just mentions Zerg scouting as the biggest threat, not even Infestor or Broodlords. Analog to what we discussed in the other thread, changes to Ovi speed or creep vision

Infestor/BL is a ZvP problem. Terran struggles atm because their builds are too easy for Zerg to read.
I think the creep vision complaint is misguided, whenever creep spreads to the point of a virtual maphack, it's because the Zerg had too much freedom earlier in the game. Creep wasn't nearly as overpresent in early LotV or even HotS, when Zerg's early game was much weaker.

So terran struggles early and mid game because their builds and pushes are easy to scout and predict. Then you say creep spread is not a problem because terran should kill or cripple zerg early....

So first you state early terran attacks are weak and inneffective and then you say terran needs to pressure early?

Something needs to change, either zergs power in mid-late game or terrans ability to pressure/harass early game, either of those would work.

Yes, I think Zerg has much more freedom in early game than they used, whether it's because they can make drones and queens over combat units, or scout and prepare for every offensive play (which didn't use to be a thing, anybody remember when Zerg started 1/1 significantly after Terran in 2015?).
You could tackle the strentgh of creep here, but IMHO the real culprit is the combination of queen's early game+ease of overlord scouting.

Yeah you are right, however the question is if the state of the game from 2015 is possible to bring back with lotv new economic model that ***** the balance very badly. Early game pressure is much worse in lotv than earlier version of the game that is just how it is, how to balance it so zerg still has chinks in its armor while at the same time is able to get into the mid game even (which means ahead 1 base) is very hard.

If we want the matchup to be balanced like that a year down the line than we probably need to nerf zerg so badly their winrate will plummet for the next 4-6 months while struggling to adapt to the nerfs. The state of lotv started out decently balanced early-mid-late game wise but the more time zerg got to improve the more imbalanced it got.
Maru, Bomber, TY, Dear, Classic, DeParture and Rogue!
Fej
Profile Joined July 2011
Hungary26 Posts
October 23 2019 12:15 GMT
#9
"because there's so many Zerg openings"

wait, wat
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27406 Posts
October 23 2019 12:22 GMT
#10
On October 23 2019 20:12 Harris1st wrote:
Cool interview!
Interesting that he just mentions Zerg scouting as the biggest threat, not even Infestor or Broodlords. Analog to what we discussed in the other thread, changes to Ovi speed or creep vision

It’s such a combination of factors, Zerg scouting potency is more pronounced because of the ‘cripple them before lategame’ timer.

It’s interesting how it segues in with what Special was saying about the importance of prepped stuff and how Zerg tends to require it the least. He mentioned Inno’s styles from previous games and metas where he just came at you with bio mine pushes and not a great deal of trickery at all.

I’ll be very surprised if a Zerg doesn’t win Blizzcon. They’re strong at present anyway, maps are good for them and the format is great for them as well.

Bo5s in groups with a second chance if you lose a series, gets pretty tough for the other races, if it were Bo3 at that stage I could see more Zergs getting put out at that stage.

It’s really stretching it to say Zergs can just play the same game every game, but it is closer to the case with them than Protoss or Terrans playing vZ for sure.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
emperorofwild
Profile Joined July 2019
87 Posts
October 23 2019 13:55 GMT
#11
zerg vs zerg in finnal is so common in wcs, people take it as a default.
now KR zerg is dominating KR
And I can say if Dark was not beaten by Rouge, not a P or T player can stop him.
In highest level matches, only zerg beat zerg, in CTC best zerg means best team.Zerg always win, in all kind of ways. Top terran can be cannon rushed, but zerg? no! Error tolerance is not same level.
So is that all P&T players a dumb?All smart players choose to be zerg? or just zerg op?
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12133 Posts
October 23 2019 14:32 GMT
#12
On October 23 2019 21:22 Wombat_NI wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 23 2019 20:12 Harris1st wrote:
Cool interview!
Interesting that he just mentions Zerg scouting as the biggest threat, not even Infestor or Broodlords. Analog to what we discussed in the other thread, changes to Ovi speed or creep vision

It’s such a combination of factors, Zerg scouting potency is more pronounced because of the ‘cripple them before lategame’ timer.

It’s interesting how it segues in with what Special was saying about the importance of prepped stuff and how Zerg tends to require it the least. He mentioned Inno’s styles from previous games and metas where he just came at you with bio mine pushes and not a great deal of trickery at all.

I’ll be very surprised if a Zerg doesn’t win Blizzcon. They’re strong at present anyway, maps are good for them and the format is great for them as well.

Bo5s in groups with a second chance if you lose a series, gets pretty tough for the other races, if it were Bo3 at that stage I could see more Zergs getting put out at that stage.

It’s really stretching it to say Zergs can just play the same game every game, but it is closer to the case with them than Protoss or Terrans playing vZ for sure.

OTOH what can you do as a zerg to stop scouting? You can't just block the "hop in" points, you can't deny the hallucinations and you certainly can't deny the shades. They have to be the race with the least pressure on the preparation. IMO (maybe I'm missing something)

Maybe they need to redesign the queen/inject/creep mechanic, but I don't see that happening, because the ability to create 20 drones at once(or 20 units) is IMO wrong. Should be more BW-ish in this terms.
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
ZigguratOfUr
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Iraq16955 Posts
October 23 2019 14:39 GMT
#13
Nice interview. Nothing really new from Special, but lots of interesting details.
DreamlnCode
Profile Joined December 2018
United Kingdom77 Posts
October 23 2019 14:41 GMT
#14
Sounds like Pro-Gamer fatigue setting in, Hope you at least make the Ro8 SpeCial.

No comments from here on the Zerg stuff.
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
October 23 2019 14:44 GMT
#15
Good interview! What was the most interesting to me was his comment about using some 5.9k build in an improved version to actually beat TY. Really shows that there is still some creativity and one could potentially find it anywhere. Brings back memories of the time where some guy on reddit said why not just use sensor towers against blink allins and TY actually did it once :D
A lot of balance talk here as well, bad mappool but also thoughts about more inherent zerg design.

If we only care about the queen and creep mechanic situation i think the problem simply lies in zerg being able to build a lot of them only for creep + defense. Their whole energy will be used just for creep in most cases because there is barely any need to transfuse them while defending. So if we want less creep we have a few options.
Either we simply increase the energy requirement of the ability, or we make the queen use energy in other ways so there is less for creep. How one could do that? Either by making it so the queen has to transfuse more often, which would only really be the case if they were less tanky and thus needed the healing more often, or if we say remove the autoattack and give the queen an oracle like attack which uses energy. That way any harass you want to defend with a lot of queens actually results into less creep later on. Not sure how viable any of this is, but it's potentially something to think about.

IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27406 Posts
October 23 2019 14:46 GMT
#16
On October 23 2019 23:32 deacon.frost wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 23 2019 21:22 Wombat_NI wrote:
On October 23 2019 20:12 Harris1st wrote:
Cool interview!
Interesting that he just mentions Zerg scouting as the biggest threat, not even Infestor or Broodlords. Analog to what we discussed in the other thread, changes to Ovi speed or creep vision

It’s such a combination of factors, Zerg scouting potency is more pronounced because of the ‘cripple them before lategame’ timer.

It’s interesting how it segues in with what Special was saying about the importance of prepped stuff and how Zerg tends to require it the least. He mentioned Inno’s styles from previous games and metas where he just came at you with bio mine pushes and not a great deal of trickery at all.

I’ll be very surprised if a Zerg doesn’t win Blizzcon. They’re strong at present anyway, maps are good for them and the format is great for them as well.

Bo5s in groups with a second chance if you lose a series, gets pretty tough for the other races, if it were Bo3 at that stage I could see more Zergs getting put out at that stage.

It’s really stretching it to say Zergs can just play the same game every game, but it is closer to the case with them than Protoss or Terrans playing vZ for sure.

OTOH what can you do as a zerg to stop scouting? You can't just block the "hop in" points, you can't deny the hallucinations and you certainly can't deny the shades. They have to be the race with the least pressure on the preparation. IMO (maybe I'm missing something)

Maybe they need to redesign the queen/inject/creep mechanic, but I don't see that happening, because the ability to create 20 drones at once(or 20 units) is IMO wrong. Should be more BW-ish in this terms.

I think in theory it’s fine if Zerg can explode in economy if they defend well and expand out on the map, with their creep and out-trade you. Metas considered good, usually featuring ling/bling/muta in TvZ anyway tend to fit that pattern.

A problem of the current meta is that Zerg are getting that eco going while transitioning to compositions that are incredibly cost-efficient as well. They have a better economy with compositions that trade way beyond their cost, which is a rather bad combination IMO.

You have a race that currently basically requires tailored builds to slow down, with the mechanic to mass drone, whose scouting capacity has been buffed recently, with maps that suit it and whose lategame comps are insane.

Individually these elements aren’t broken IMO but taken all together and it gets rather dicey indeed.

Personally I feel that if Zerg had some of these but it manifested in big swarms of low/mid tier units swamping opponents off an eco advantage that they’ve earned that feels like how Zerg ‘should’ play.

Any talk of balance aside it’s jarring that Zerg don’t fit their racial character.

'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
True_Spike
Profile Joined July 2004
Poland3434 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-10-23 15:18:30
October 23 2019 15:17 GMT
#17
I'm so glad Special said what he said about creep giving vision.

Personally I couldn't agree more - I feel this is the single biggest problem with Zergs "imba", ever since I started playing more Z.

Infestors being infestors doesn't help, but the fact that Zerg can so easily and so reliably get himself into good spots mid to late game is mostly due to easy and basically free scouting, mostly in the forms of creep tumors and OL speed.
bela.mervado
Profile Joined December 2008
Hungary417 Posts
October 23 2019 15:23 GMT
#18
amazing what a 25/25 decrease in ovi speed research cost can achieve!
RandomPlayer
Profile Joined April 2012
Russian Federation400 Posts
October 23 2019 15:33 GMT
#19
Remove creep vision - what a great idea!! I've never thought about it, keeping the vision for active tumors only makes complete sense. They should use overlords or zerglings as static observers.
BerserkSword
Profile Joined December 2018
United States2123 Posts
October 23 2019 15:33 GMT
#20
The anti-zerg whine is out of control.

They are on the verge of heavily nerfing the infestor and the brood lord and now some people already have creep in the crosshairs of the nerf gun.

Both the queen and creep were nerfed after blizzcon 2018.

How about before destroying a race (like what happened to Protoss) you give some time for the current changes (infestor and brood lord nerfs) to settle?
TL+ Member
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 33m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 169
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 629
Bisu 624
Horang2 610
Larva 483
Hyuk 413
soO 412
ZerO 182
Zeus 138
EffOrt 100
Killer 63
[ Show more ]
Shinee 55
Rush 51
Mind 36
Stork 30
Mong 25
Bale 24
PianO 22
Terrorterran 15
Sacsri 13
ToSsGirL 13
HiyA 10
Dota 2
XaKoH 665
XcaliburYe304
Counter-Strike
byalli778
Other Games
olofmeister1458
singsing1240
ceh9700
crisheroes206
Livibee183
ArmadaUGS60
Mew2King58
ZerO(Twitch)6
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH357
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2291
League of Legends
• Jankos1842
• Stunt385
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
33m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
1h 33m
Monday Night Weeklies
6h 33m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 14h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.