• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:28
CEST 12:28
KST 19:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup5StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12392 users

Korea Weekly - May 21 - Season's Heating Up

Forum Index > SC2 General
33 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 Next All

Korea Weekly - May 21 - Season's Heating Up

Text byTL.net ESPORTS
Graphics byshiroiusagi
May 21st, 2017 11:02 GMT
  • Korea Weekly
  • Group of Death


The Weekly Preview

by hexhaven
[image loading] - hexhaven



Code S returns this week with two groups. As the playoffs draw ever closer, the pressure is on for the players to dive in and give it their all. Whatever the outcome, the eventual champion will be found among this group of 16 players. The time is also ripe to start betting on the potential winners. Will INnoVation live up to his fearsome reputation? Will Stats manage to advance on two fronts simultaneously? Might we see another fresh face raise the trophy? Meanwhile, SSL’s Challenge Division’s second phase continues with a single round of matches, while we wait with bated breath for the Post Season in just over a week’s time.

Stats’s Long Halftime Walk

Can Stats really pull it off? Historically, focusing on two different star leagues at the same time has been extremely difficult, especially as we run deeper into the tournaments. Even so, there’s something special about daring to hope to see a record matched. Stats is in both the round of 16 in Code S and in the Post Season in SSL, which means that another star league title is a prospect that’s certainly on the horizon.

Is it possible to see him advance in both tournaments? Is it even feasible? And most of all, is there a world where he could potentially reach both finals? He only has to win two matches for the SSL finals, and potentially only four matches for the GSL finals. Theoretically, winning all six sets is doable, but is it within practical limits? The fans cry out that Stats has been in a slump recently, but what’s certain is that he’s managed to make another deep run in both of the hardest tournaments on the planet. It’s the end result that weighs more heavily than any possible misstep on the way. Somewhere in the back of his mind he has to know that he could be on the cusp of something truly historic.

Machines of Loving Grace

If Stats is all about the upcoming journey and its possibilities, INnoVation has already all but arrived. We’ve been hailing the Terran as the cream of the crop all throughout the year, but a title has so far remained just out of reach. He’s already comfortably in the grand finals of SSL, while his road to the Code S finals is not quite finished yet. Over the coming weeks he has to prepare for both the eventual other finalist, as well as his opponents in Code S. As mentioned, splitting one’s attention between two star leagues can be difficult, so INnoVation will need to polish up on his hyperthreading.

He’s also in the arguably most difficult group of the Ro16, going up against Classic and TY. But INnoVation knows instinctively that the best results always require hard work, and he’s not afraid to put in the effort. While debate still rages on whether he’s a mortal being or not, he will without a doubt always show up when it matters.

Rounding Out the Trifecta

Of course the third player to deserve his share of the attention is ByuL. Like the Protoss and the Terran detailed above, he too has managed to reach both Code S round of 16 and SSL Post Season. But unlike Stats and INnoVation, ByuL has spent most of his career firmly just below the very highest rung of the competition. While still lacking a big title to his name, the Zerg has had a famous resurgence this year. He’s proven himself quite capable to go toe-to-toe with the best of them. He’s risen to the top while other Zergs have languished. It’s been two years and one entire expansion since his three second place finishes, so it’s about time he makes a convincing case for himself.

The SSL Post Season won’t start until next week, but these three players are all playing their Code S matches this week. Each of them face different kind of obstacles on their way to greatness, and it remains to be seen who will manage to cling on to dear life. We like to follow the great, and we love to flock to the best, and that mythical dual-title is there for the taking, for all three players.

Six Men Enter, One Man Advances

Only two days of matches remain in the SSL Challenge Division’s second phase. While saying that Ryung has struggled is an understatement of the year, he’s now also the only one without a round of 16 Code S spot. Perhaps we live in a universe where this could have given him an actual advantage over the others, but with a 0-3 score line, the writing’s on the wall. Meanwhile, herO is leading the pack with a comfortable 3-0 match score. With only Dear and TY to go, he should be the favorite to earn the coveted Premier Division spot for the next season. On the other hand, this is SSL, where upsets are seen as the norm. Losing the next two matches would mean that the mid-listers pull ahead, so the pressure is still on.


Weekly Schedule:

Wed - Code S - Group A: Stats vs Trap / ByuL vs GuMiho
Sat - Code S - Group B: aLive vs Classic / TY vs INnoVation
Sat - SSL Challenge - herO vs Dear / Classic vs TY / ByuN vs Ryung




Group of Death

by hexhaven
[image loading] - hexhaven

The Group of Death

Every time immediately after Code S groups are announced and finalized, it’s a proud tradition to choose a single one as the most dangerous, as the most difficult. There’s prestige involved, be it imaginary or real, for any player having to wade through the toughest opposition to advance. Fans are also salivating at the thought of what are likely to be sheer great games. Following a favorite player as they face challenge after challenge on their way to the top is always exhilarating, so it’s understandable that one group should always stand above the others.

For the second season of this year’s Code S, in the Ro16 the famed and reviled Group of Death is not an easy pick, but popular consensus has deemed it Group B. With TY, Classic, INnoVation and yes, even aLive, the case is built on a solid foundation. As usual, two players will advance to the quarterfinals, while two players will have to bide their time until the next season. Thankfully this year there’s still one more to come.

aLive vs Classic

aLive’s form this year has been built on two things: his IEM Katowice run, including taking down INnoVation, and his legendary stage pajamas second place in the Super Tournament, again taking down INnoVation on the way. His advancement will almost certainly rely on being able to replicate his feat from those two tournaments. While Classic isn’t an easy opponent to start with, by any means, aLive’s TvP is his best match-up in 2017, both online and offline. Even so, the two have met three times this year, and aLive has only won a single BO1 against Classic in Shoutcraft Kings. He’s made a strong showing so far, but he’ll still need something more to make people remember that he does indeed exist.

Classic seems to have missed out on the resurgence that some of the other players have seen this year. A return to form seems elusive, with middling results both online and offline. In the previous season he made it to the Ro16, where he couldn’t overcome INnoVation and soO in Dark’s famous Group of SKT. This time he starts the day by going against aLive, and his offline PvT win rate is surprisingly formidable for the year. Compared to the Terran, however, he’s still searching for that crucial missing element that would enable his comeback.

TY vs INnoVation

At the start of the year, both Terrans were brimming with unbridled potential. In the end, it was TY who was the first to make good of the predictions, winning both IEM Katowice and WESG. A title had been a long time coming for the Terran, now he holds two. Of course, one could argue that both of them were non-Korean titles, and to prove his mettle for good, TY should have to win a Korean star league. Prestige matters, and there’s no more prestigious tournament than this. Curiously, TY was placed in his group by newly discovered team mate Stats. The Terran’s weakest match up for the year is TvT, so maybe the Splyce players know something that the rest of us don’t. Maybe TY has discovered a secret formula to reliably take down INnoVation. Maybe working with Stats again has given both of them newfound confidence in their abilities. Whatever the case, it remains to be seen whether the gamble pays off.

There was something peculiar happening in the group selection last Wednesday. In a group of 16 players, one seemed to stand out from the rest. Could it be that the others were displaying... fear? Arguably no one really wants to up against INnoVation, because there’s no doubt that he’s able to take down anyone. After narrowly missing out on the semifinals in the first season, the Eternal Terran is looking to make his mark once again. Topping the SSL Premier group as well as his Ro32 group, INnoVation’s one sole weakness for the year seems to be his TvT. If he’s been able to adapt his collective consciousness, there’s a very good chance that a victory here will carry him onward to the finals.





Korea Weekly: hexhaven
Focus: hexhaven
Graphics: shiroiusagi
Photos: ESL, Shayla
Facebook Twitter Reddit
TL+ Member
Edpayasugo
Profile Joined April 2013
United Kingdom2223 Posts
May 21 2017 11:57 GMT
#2
Innovation the eternal terran, I like it.
FlaSh MMA INnoVation FanTaSy MKP TY Ryung | soO Dark Rogue | HuK PartinG Stork State
Argonauta
Profile Joined July 2016
Spain4967 Posts
May 21 2017 11:59 GMT
#3
FEAR the MACHINE!
Rogue | Maru | Scarlett | Trap
TL+ Member
DieuCure
Profile Joined January 2017
France3713 Posts
May 21 2017 12:02 GMT
#4
TY will take the 1st place easily
TL+ Member
hexhaven
Profile Joined July 2014
Finland965 Posts
May 21 2017 13:47 GMT
#5
On May 21 2017 20:57 Edpayasugo wrote:
Innovation the eternal terran, I like it.


Somebody just has to edit the Liquipedia page to make it official.
WriterI shoot events. | http://www.jussi.co/esports
imre
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
France9263 Posts
May 21 2017 16:34 GMT
#6
I love the format of this weekly, keep up the good job
Zest fanboy.
pvsnp
Profile Joined January 2017
7676 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-21 17:26:49
May 21 2017 17:24 GMT
#7
On May 21 2017 20:57 Edpayasugo wrote:
Innovation the eternal terran, I like it.

I rather like the ring of "Eternal Terran, " though there is a certain simple elegance to "The Machine."

And Inno seems to be the only player whose nickname (or synonyms involing robotics) is frequently used by the casters.
Denominator of the Universe
TL+ Member
FrostedMiniWheats
Profile Joined August 2010
United States30730 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-21 18:49:16
May 21 2017 18:48 GMT
#8
Surprised there isn't more of an exciting narrative for ByuL. Not only has he already been to simultaneous starleague finals, but considering where he's placed in both leagues atm I'd say he stands arguably the best shot out of the 3 of hitting dual finals this season.

5 starleague finals total and pulling off another dual run would be insane in its own right. Rockets him to top 10 GOAT status easily.
NesTea | Mvp | MC | Leenock | Losira | Gumiho | DRG | Taeja | Jinro | Stephano | Thorzain | Sen | Idra |Polt | Bomber | Symbol | Squirtle | Fantasy | Jaedong | Maru | sOs | Seed | ByuN | ByuL | Neeb| Scarlett | Rogue | IM forever
Elentos
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
55594 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-21 19:02:47
May 21 2017 19:01 GMT
#9
On May 22 2017 03:48 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
5 starleague finals total and pulling off another dual run would be insane in its own right. Rockets him to top 10 GOAT status easily.

Eh close one. Mvp, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, MC, NesTea, Polt, MMA, Zest, INnoVation, Maru, Rain, soO, sOs and if you have enough Liquid bias also TaeJa all have legitimate claims to being top 10 GOAT. It's hard to say where to place him if he makes a run like that. I'd still put him behind soO, and I'd put soO in the lower half (although I guess 6-10 is technically the higher half?) of the top 10.
Every 60 seconds in Africa, a minute passes.
pvsnp
Profile Joined January 2017
7676 Posts
May 21 2017 19:18 GMT
#10
On May 22 2017 04:01 Elentos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2017 03:48 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
5 starleague finals total and pulling off another dual run would be insane in its own right. Rockets him to top 10 GOAT status easily.

Eh close one. Mvp, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, MC, NesTea, Polt, MMA, Zest, INnoVation, Maru, Rain, soO, sOs and if you have enough Liquid bias also TaeJa all have legitimate claims to being top 10 GOAT. It's hard to say where to place him if he makes a run like that. I'd still put him behind soO, and I'd put soO in the lower half (although I guess 6-10 is technically the higher half?) of the top 10.

TaeJa has a solid claim for top 10. Top-3-ish is where you need a hefty dose of TL-bias to still go with TaeJa. Though that's largely irrelevant atm since Zest, INnoVation, ByuL, Maru, soO and so forth are the only ones still adding to their legacies (well maybe not Zest) and thus have a real opportunity to cement themselves as the unquestioned GOAT.

Inno is the closest, for instance if he wins GSL+SSL he will pretty much be able to claim GOAT without contest.
Denominator of the Universe
TL+ Member
Mizenhauer
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
United States1967 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-21 19:23:21
May 21 2017 19:20 GMT
#11
On May 22 2017 04:01 Elentos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2017 03:48 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
5 starleague finals total and pulling off another dual run would be insane in its own right. Rockets him to top 10 GOAT status easily.

Eh close one. Mvp, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, MC, NesTea, Polt, MMA, Zest, INnoVation, Maru, Rain, soO, sOs and if you have enough Liquid bias also TaeJa all have legitimate claims to being top 10 GOAT. It's hard to say where to place him if he makes a run like that. I'd still put him behind soO, and I'd put soO in the lower half (although I guess 6-10 is technically the higher half?) of the top 10.


Not to insert too much nitpicking, but Classic's career is almost certainly more impressive than ByuL's if ByuL "only" loses in both finals (especially because this years SSL is a Starleague like the Hot6Cup is a GSL (which it technically is given how Mvp's GSL wins are calculated(Congratulations herO, the second player to win a GSL and SSL :/ ))). This is an interesting case because in my opinion winning a final is an overrated barometer for a player's greatness. But as I see it, ByuL's success was achieved in a very isolated period (I don't count his WCS America run as particularly impressive), whereas Classic was an elite player for a much longer period of time. The topic of how much 1st vs 2nd place matters is one I plan on investigating at length at some point. Maybe when I take a break from writing fan fics I can get back to it.


EDIT: Since everyone keeps talking about SSL, I urge everyone to please be reasonable and remember that this season's SSL is nowhere near the prestige of GSL. Winning it would be more analogous to winning a KeSPA Cup of MLG of 2012 era. I just can't see a case being made to classify it as anything other than a tier 2 event.
┗|∵|┓Second Place in LB 28, Third Place in LB 29 and Destined to Be a Kong
Elentos
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
55594 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-21 19:26:03
May 21 2017 19:23 GMT
#12
On May 22 2017 04:20 mizenhauer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2017 04:01 Elentos wrote:
On May 22 2017 03:48 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
5 starleague finals total and pulling off another dual run would be insane in its own right. Rockets him to top 10 GOAT status easily.

Eh close one. Mvp, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, MC, NesTea, Polt, MMA, Zest, INnoVation, Maru, Rain, soO, sOs and if you have enough Liquid bias also TaeJa all have legitimate claims to being top 10 GOAT. It's hard to say where to place him if he makes a run like that. I'd still put him behind soO, and I'd put soO in the lower half (although I guess 6-10 is technically the higher half?) of the top 10.


Not to insert too much nitpicking, but Classic's career is almost certainly more impressive than ByuL's if ByuL "only" loses in both finals (especially because this years SSL is a Starleague like the Hot6Cup is a GSL (which it technically is given how Mvp's GSL wins are calculated(Congratulations herO, the second player to win a GSL and SSL :/ ))). This is an interesting case because in my opinion winning a final is an overrated barometer for a player's greatness. But as I see it, ByuL's success was achieved in a very isolated period (I don't count his WCS America run as particularly impressive), whereas Classic was an elite player for a much longer period of time. The topic of how much 1st vs 2nd place matters is one I plan on investigating at length at some point. Maybe when I take a break from writing fan fics I can get back to it.

I totally forgot about Classic when writing the comment tbh

Also I think the 9 week RR format for SSL with playoffs afterwards makes the runs harder than many tier 1 tournament runs in the past.
Every 60 seconds in Africa, a minute passes.
Mizenhauer
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
United States1967 Posts
May 21 2017 19:39 GMT
#13
On May 22 2017 04:23 Elentos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2017 04:20 mizenhauer wrote:
On May 22 2017 04:01 Elentos wrote:
On May 22 2017 03:48 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
5 starleague finals total and pulling off another dual run would be insane in its own right. Rockets him to top 10 GOAT status easily.

Eh close one. Mvp, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, MC, NesTea, Polt, MMA, Zest, INnoVation, Maru, Rain, soO, sOs and if you have enough Liquid bias also TaeJa all have legitimate claims to being top 10 GOAT. It's hard to say where to place him if he makes a run like that. I'd still put him behind soO, and I'd put soO in the lower half (although I guess 6-10 is technically the higher half?) of the top 10.


Not to insert too much nitpicking, but Classic's career is almost certainly more impressive than ByuL's if ByuL "only" loses in both finals (especially because this years SSL is a Starleague like the Hot6Cup is a GSL (which it technically is given how Mvp's GSL wins are calculated(Congratulations herO, the second player to win a GSL and SSL :/ ))). This is an interesting case because in my opinion winning a final is an overrated barometer for a player's greatness. But as I see it, ByuL's success was achieved in a very isolated period (I don't count his WCS America run as particularly impressive), whereas Classic was an elite player for a much longer period of time. The topic of how much 1st vs 2nd place matters is one I plan on investigating at length at some point. Maybe when I take a break from writing fan fics I can get back to it.

I totally forgot about Classic when writing the comment tbh

Also I think the 9 week RR format for SSL with playoffs afterwards makes the runs harder than many tier 1 tournament runs in the past.


Qualifying was so gimmicky though. The main problem in my eyes is that the player representation in Premier was really lack luster because of it. You can't tell me that Zest, sOs or Patience played like they belonged while herO, TY, ByuN and, to a lesser degree, Classic were stuck in Challenge. Next season's event should be a far more well rounded affair. When I compare this tournament to any of the SSL's from 2015 (In my mind the hardest tournaments ever), I just can't put them on the same level (I also think the 2016 SSL's kind of have an asterisk as well).
┗|∵|┓Second Place in LB 28, Third Place in LB 29 and Destined to Be a Kong
pvsnp
Profile Joined January 2017
7676 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-21 19:45:28
May 21 2017 19:43 GMT
#14
On May 22 2017 04:20 mizenhauer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2017 04:01 Elentos wrote:
On May 22 2017 03:48 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
5 starleague finals total and pulling off another dual run would be insane in its own right. Rockets him to top 10 GOAT status easily.

Eh close one. Mvp, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, MC, NesTea, Polt, MMA, Zest, INnoVation, Maru, Rain, soO, sOs and if you have enough Liquid bias also TaeJa all have legitimate claims to being top 10 GOAT. It's hard to say where to place him if he makes a run like that. I'd still put him behind soO, and I'd put soO in the lower half (although I guess 6-10 is technically the higher half?) of the top 10.


Not to insert too much nitpicking, but Classic's career is almost certainly more impressive than ByuL's if ByuL "only" loses in both finals (especially because this years SSL is a Starleague like the Hot6Cup is a GSL (which it technically is given how Mvp's GSL wins are calculated(Congratulations herO, the second player to win a GSL and SSL :/ ))). This is an interesting case because in my opinion winning a final is an overrated barometer for a player's greatness. But as I see it, ByuL's success was achieved in a very isolated period (I don't count his WCS America run as particularly impressive), whereas Classic was an elite player for a much longer period of time. The topic of how much 1st vs 2nd place matters is one I plan on investigating at length at some point. Maybe when I take a break from writing fan fics I can get back to it.


EDIT: Since everyone keeps talking about SSL, I urge everyone to please be reasonable and remember that this season's SSL is nowhere near the prestige of GSL. Winning it would be more analogous to winning a KeSPA Cup of MLG of 2012 era. I just can't see a case being made to classify it as anything other than a tier 2 event.


In order to win SSL, a player must survive 9 Bo3s, plus up to 3 post-season Bo5/7 matches. To win GSL, a player goes through 4-6 Bo3s and 3 Bo5/7s. GIven that the caliber of players is pretty damn similar, I see no pressing reason to discount the SSL as significantly inferior to GSL.

You mentioned the dismal performances of sOs and Zest as giving other players easy matches, but it's not like GSL doesn't have easy matches either. There are almost always heavy favorites in the Ro32 and Ro16, guys like Losira, Dear, and Trap are not exactly superstars.
Denominator of the Universe
TL+ Member
Elentos
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
55594 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-21 19:51:51
May 21 2017 19:49 GMT
#15
On May 22 2017 04:39 mizenhauer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2017 04:23 Elentos wrote:
On May 22 2017 04:20 mizenhauer wrote:
On May 22 2017 04:01 Elentos wrote:
On May 22 2017 03:48 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
5 starleague finals total and pulling off another dual run would be insane in its own right. Rockets him to top 10 GOAT status easily.

Eh close one. Mvp, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, MC, NesTea, Polt, MMA, Zest, INnoVation, Maru, Rain, soO, sOs and if you have enough Liquid bias also TaeJa all have legitimate claims to being top 10 GOAT. It's hard to say where to place him if he makes a run like that. I'd still put him behind soO, and I'd put soO in the lower half (although I guess 6-10 is technically the higher half?) of the top 10.


Not to insert too much nitpicking, but Classic's career is almost certainly more impressive than ByuL's if ByuL "only" loses in both finals (especially because this years SSL is a Starleague like the Hot6Cup is a GSL (which it technically is given how Mvp's GSL wins are calculated(Congratulations herO, the second player to win a GSL and SSL :/ ))). This is an interesting case because in my opinion winning a final is an overrated barometer for a player's greatness. But as I see it, ByuL's success was achieved in a very isolated period (I don't count his WCS America run as particularly impressive), whereas Classic was an elite player for a much longer period of time. The topic of how much 1st vs 2nd place matters is one I plan on investigating at length at some point. Maybe when I take a break from writing fan fics I can get back to it.

I totally forgot about Classic when writing the comment tbh

Also I think the 9 week RR format for SSL with playoffs afterwards makes the runs harder than many tier 1 tournament runs in the past.


Qualifying was so gimmicky though. The main problem in my eyes is that the player representation in Premier was really lack luster because of it. You can't tell me that Zest, sOs or Patience played like they belonged while herO, TY, ByuN and, to a lesser degree, Classic were stuck in Challenge. Next season's event should be a far more well rounded affair. When I compare this tournament to any of the SSL's from 2015 (In my mind the hardest tournaments ever), I just can't put them on the same level (I also think the 2016 SSL's kind of have an asterisk as well).

I wouldn't call it gimmicky. A regular bracket qualifier, and then a regular offline group stage. Not much different from getting to the Ro16 in GSL, is it?

And yeah, Zest, sOs and Patience didn't really look like they belonged in Premier over those other players. But that's hindsight. Without looking at it in hindsight, I say Zest deserved to be in Premier after topping a group with herO, Dark and GuMiho in it. Sure, a bit into Premier it turned out they couldn't keep up with the other players. But you have that in GSL Ro16s all the time.
Every 60 seconds in Africa, a minute passes.
Mizenhauer
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
United States1967 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-21 20:02:02
May 21 2017 19:51 GMT
#16
On May 22 2017 04:43 pvsnp wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2017 04:20 mizenhauer wrote:
On May 22 2017 04:01 Elentos wrote:
On May 22 2017 03:48 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
5 starleague finals total and pulling off another dual run would be insane in its own right. Rockets him to top 10 GOAT status easily.

Eh close one. Mvp, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, MC, NesTea, Polt, MMA, Zest, INnoVation, Maru, Rain, soO, sOs and if you have enough Liquid bias also TaeJa all have legitimate claims to being top 10 GOAT. It's hard to say where to place him if he makes a run like that. I'd still put him behind soO, and I'd put soO in the lower half (although I guess 6-10 is technically the higher half?) of the top 10.


Not to insert too much nitpicking, but Classic's career is almost certainly more impressive than ByuL's if ByuL "only" loses in both finals (especially because this years SSL is a Starleague like the Hot6Cup is a GSL (which it technically is given how Mvp's GSL wins are calculated(Congratulations herO, the second player to win a GSL and SSL :/ ))). This is an interesting case because in my opinion winning a final is an overrated barometer for a player's greatness. But as I see it, ByuL's success was achieved in a very isolated period (I don't count his WCS America run as particularly impressive), whereas Classic was an elite player for a much longer period of time. The topic of how much 1st vs 2nd place matters is one I plan on investigating at length at some point. Maybe when I take a break from writing fan fics I can get back to it.


EDIT: Since everyone keeps talking about SSL, I urge everyone to please be reasonable and remember that this season's SSL is nowhere near the prestige of GSL. Winning it would be more analogous to winning a KeSPA Cup of MLG of 2012 era. I just can't see a case being made to classify it as anything other than a tier 2 event.


In order to win SSL, a player must survive 9 Bo3s, plus up to 3 post-season Bo5/7 matches. To win GSL, a player goes through 4-6 Bo3s and 3 Bo5/7s. GIven that the caliber of players is pretty damn similar, I see no pressing reason to discount the SSL as significantly inferior to GSL.

You mentioned the dismal performances of sOs and Zest as giving other players easy matches, but it's not like GSL doesn't have easy matches either. There are almost always heavy favorites in the Ro32 and Ro16, guys like Losira, Dear, and Trap are not exactly superstars.


You can win SSL by going 8-4 in matches (with a +2 game score in the regular season(a low +/- like this is possible in GSL as well, but from memory it occurs less frequently, if at all, among players who win GSL's))... Just doesn't seem as difficult.
┗|∵|┓Second Place in LB 28, Third Place in LB 29 and Destined to Be a Kong
pvsnp
Profile Joined January 2017
7676 Posts
May 21 2017 20:04 GMT
#17
On May 22 2017 04:51 mizenhauer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2017 04:43 pvsnp wrote:
On May 22 2017 04:20 mizenhauer wrote:
On May 22 2017 04:01 Elentos wrote:
On May 22 2017 03:48 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
5 starleague finals total and pulling off another dual run would be insane in its own right. Rockets him to top 10 GOAT status easily.

Eh close one. Mvp, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, MC, NesTea, Polt, MMA, Zest, INnoVation, Maru, Rain, soO, sOs and if you have enough Liquid bias also TaeJa all have legitimate claims to being top 10 GOAT. It's hard to say where to place him if he makes a run like that. I'd still put him behind soO, and I'd put soO in the lower half (although I guess 6-10 is technically the higher half?) of the top 10.


Not to insert too much nitpicking, but Classic's career is almost certainly more impressive than ByuL's if ByuL "only" loses in both finals (especially because this years SSL is a Starleague like the Hot6Cup is a GSL (which it technically is given how Mvp's GSL wins are calculated(Congratulations herO, the second player to win a GSL and SSL :/ ))). This is an interesting case because in my opinion winning a final is an overrated barometer for a player's greatness. But as I see it, ByuL's success was achieved in a very isolated period (I don't count his WCS America run as particularly impressive), whereas Classic was an elite player for a much longer period of time. The topic of how much 1st vs 2nd place matters is one I plan on investigating at length at some point. Maybe when I take a break from writing fan fics I can get back to it.


EDIT: Since everyone keeps talking about SSL, I urge everyone to please be reasonable and remember that this season's SSL is nowhere near the prestige of GSL. Winning it would be more analogous to winning a KeSPA Cup of MLG of 2012 era. I just can't see a case being made to classify it as anything other than a tier 2 event.


In order to win SSL, a player must survive 9 Bo3s, plus up to 3 post-season Bo5/7 matches. To win GSL, a player goes through 4-6 Bo3s and 3 Bo5/7s. GIven that the caliber of players is pretty damn similar, I see no pressing reason to discount the SSL as significantly inferior to GSL.

You mentioned the dismal performances of sOs and Zest as giving other players easy matches, but it's not like GSL doesn't have easy matches either. There are almost always heavy favorites in the Ro32 and Ro16, guys like Losira, Dear, and Trap are not exactly superstars.


You can win SSL by going 8-4 in matches (with a +2 game score in the regular season(a low +/- like this is possible in GSL as well, but from memory it occurs less frequently, if at all, among players who win GSL's))... Just doesn't seem as difficult.

The lowest possible score for winning GSL is 7-2 matches and 19-16 games. Dunno how often this happens though.
Denominator of the Universe
TL+ Member
Elentos
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
55594 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-21 20:05:09
May 21 2017 20:04 GMT
#18
On May 22 2017 04:51 mizenhauer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2017 04:43 pvsnp wrote:
On May 22 2017 04:20 mizenhauer wrote:
On May 22 2017 04:01 Elentos wrote:
On May 22 2017 03:48 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
5 starleague finals total and pulling off another dual run would be insane in its own right. Rockets him to top 10 GOAT status easily.

Eh close one. Mvp, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, MC, NesTea, Polt, MMA, Zest, INnoVation, Maru, Rain, soO, sOs and if you have enough Liquid bias also TaeJa all have legitimate claims to being top 10 GOAT. It's hard to say where to place him if he makes a run like that. I'd still put him behind soO, and I'd put soO in the lower half (although I guess 6-10 is technically the higher half?) of the top 10.


Not to insert too much nitpicking, but Classic's career is almost certainly more impressive than ByuL's if ByuL "only" loses in both finals (especially because this years SSL is a Starleague like the Hot6Cup is a GSL (which it technically is given how Mvp's GSL wins are calculated(Congratulations herO, the second player to win a GSL and SSL :/ ))). This is an interesting case because in my opinion winning a final is an overrated barometer for a player's greatness. But as I see it, ByuL's success was achieved in a very isolated period (I don't count his WCS America run as particularly impressive), whereas Classic was an elite player for a much longer period of time. The topic of how much 1st vs 2nd place matters is one I plan on investigating at length at some point. Maybe when I take a break from writing fan fics I can get back to it.


EDIT: Since everyone keeps talking about SSL, I urge everyone to please be reasonable and remember that this season's SSL is nowhere near the prestige of GSL. Winning it would be more analogous to winning a KeSPA Cup of MLG of 2012 era. I just can't see a case being made to classify it as anything other than a tier 2 event.


In order to win SSL, a player must survive 9 Bo3s, plus up to 3 post-season Bo5/7 matches. To win GSL, a player goes through 4-6 Bo3s and 3 Bo5/7s. GIven that the caliber of players is pretty damn similar, I see no pressing reason to discount the SSL as significantly inferior to GSL.

You mentioned the dismal performances of sOs and Zest as giving other players easy matches, but it's not like GSL doesn't have easy matches either. There are almost always heavy favorites in the Ro32 and Ro16, guys like Losira, Dear, and Trap are not exactly superstars.


You can win SSL by going 8-4 in matches (with a +2 game score in the regular season(a low +/- like this is possible in GSL as well, but from memory it occurs less frequently, if at all, among players who win GSL's))... Just doesn't seem as difficult.

I was gonna say, GSL isn't safe from that. In theory you can win GSL by going 19-16. That's about what Stats would have if he made it to the finals (before even playing those). I think what degrades it a bit in the end is the playoff format that puts a person straight to the finals. If the playoffs were a top 4 bracket - let alone a double elimination bracket - it would be another story.
Every 60 seconds in Africa, a minute passes.
Mizenhauer
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
United States1967 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-05-21 20:17:19
May 21 2017 20:08 GMT
#19
On May 22 2017 05:04 Elentos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2017 04:51 mizenhauer wrote:
On May 22 2017 04:43 pvsnp wrote:
On May 22 2017 04:20 mizenhauer wrote:
On May 22 2017 04:01 Elentos wrote:
On May 22 2017 03:48 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
5 starleague finals total and pulling off another dual run would be insane in its own right. Rockets him to top 10 GOAT status easily.

Eh close one. Mvp, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, MC, NesTea, Polt, MMA, Zest, INnoVation, Maru, Rain, soO, sOs and if you have enough Liquid bias also TaeJa all have legitimate claims to being top 10 GOAT. It's hard to say where to place him if he makes a run like that. I'd still put him behind soO, and I'd put soO in the lower half (although I guess 6-10 is technically the higher half?) of the top 10.


Not to insert too much nitpicking, but Classic's career is almost certainly more impressive than ByuL's if ByuL "only" loses in both finals (especially because this years SSL is a Starleague like the Hot6Cup is a GSL (which it technically is given how Mvp's GSL wins are calculated(Congratulations herO, the second player to win a GSL and SSL :/ ))). This is an interesting case because in my opinion winning a final is an overrated barometer for a player's greatness. But as I see it, ByuL's success was achieved in a very isolated period (I don't count his WCS America run as particularly impressive), whereas Classic was an elite player for a much longer period of time. The topic of how much 1st vs 2nd place matters is one I plan on investigating at length at some point. Maybe when I take a break from writing fan fics I can get back to it.


EDIT: Since everyone keeps talking about SSL, I urge everyone to please be reasonable and remember that this season's SSL is nowhere near the prestige of GSL. Winning it would be more analogous to winning a KeSPA Cup of MLG of 2012 era. I just can't see a case being made to classify it as anything other than a tier 2 event.


In order to win SSL, a player must survive 9 Bo3s, plus up to 3 post-season Bo5/7 matches. To win GSL, a player goes through 4-6 Bo3s and 3 Bo5/7s. GIven that the caliber of players is pretty damn similar, I see no pressing reason to discount the SSL as significantly inferior to GSL.

You mentioned the dismal performances of sOs and Zest as giving other players easy matches, but it's not like GSL doesn't have easy matches either. There are almost always heavy favorites in the Ro32 and Ro16, guys like Losira, Dear, and Trap are not exactly superstars.


You can win SSL by going 8-4 in matches (with a +2 game score in the regular season(a low +/- like this is possible in GSL as well, but from memory it occurs less frequently, if at all, among players who win GSL's))... Just doesn't seem as difficult.

I was gonna say, GSL isn't safe from that. In theory you can win GSL by going 19-16. That's about what Stats would have if he made it to the finals (before even playing those). I think what degrades it a bit in the end is the playoff format that puts a person straight to the finals. If the playoffs were a top 4 bracket - let alone a double elimination bracket - it would be another story.


I acknowledged that it is possible. As someone who does a lot of research for articles, I can tell you it isn't worth looking into to confirm what the game win percentage of all GSL finalists are. It's more important to look at winning a Starleague by going 8-4, whereas the worst record possible which can win a GSL is 7-2.

I hate to look at really small sample sizes, but since the focus is the same player and the seasons are adjacent, here is Stats' journey to winning GSL S1 and what would be required of him to win SSL S1. Take it with a grain of salt, because I doubt my point would be as cleanly illustrated with other past GSL's.

Stats won GSL by beating: Ryung 2x, ByuN, ByuL 2x, INnoVation, soO and losing to TY.
He could win SSL by beating, Zest, Patience, Maru, ByuL 2x, aLive, Solar, INnoVation (A very similar run to his GSL as far as victories, but he also lost to sOs, Solar, Dark, INnoVation).
┗|∵|┓Second Place in LB 28, Third Place in LB 29 and Destined to Be a Kong
DieuCure
Profile Joined January 2017
France3713 Posts
May 21 2017 21:21 GMT
#20
Ssl premier is harder than gsl because it's all about top players

GSL ro32 and ro16 = a lot of weak players

Ssl challenge is better than ro16 gsl

TL+ Member
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
Krystianer vs TBD
CranKy Ducklings96
CranKy Ducklings SOOP15
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 9485
FanTaSy 1230
Hyuk 747
Horang2 590
BeSt 466
Stork 202
Pusan 181
Zeus 97
sorry 95
Killer 94
[ Show more ]
Mind 88
Last 75
Shinee 70
Hyun 67
ggaemo 44
PianO 42
Snow 36
Bale 35
ToSsGirL 29
Hm[arnc] 28
JYJ 23
Sacsri 14
Aegong 7
EffOrt 6
Noble 5
Dota 2
XcaliburYe138
Counter-Strike
byalli1147
fl0m250
x6flipin120
Other Games
gofns35622
singsing2327
Mew2King78
ArmadaUGS74
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick686
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream137
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 58
• Adnapsc2 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2282
League of Legends
• Lourlo1179
Upcoming Events
INu's Battles
1h 33m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
4h 33m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 33m
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 33m
Replay Cast
12h 33m
Afreeca Starleague
23h 33m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 5h
Replay Cast
1d 12h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 23h
Soma vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.