• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:37
CEST 21:37
KST 04:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War325.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8549 users

Hybrid Settings 3.0 - LOTV Edition - Page 5

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Neron02
Profile Joined October 2011
Spain10 Posts
January 18 2017 19:59 GMT
#81
Good job I lost over 100 fps
tili
Profile Joined July 2012
United States1332 Posts
January 18 2017 20:07 GMT
#82
I really love this idea... but don't think I can help from switching *any* options in game
seopthi
Profile Blog Joined December 2014
401 Posts
February 21 2017 03:09 GMT
#83
Recently I noticed that when playing on Mac, there is a new option under Render API. By default it is OpenGL 2.1, but now it is possible to use Metal(Beta). With Metal I get huge increase in fps, making it basically the same performance as when using Windows boot.

However, when using Metal, the game is crashing on startup when the lighting=0 is added to variables.txt.
Scyless
Profile Joined February 2018
1 Post
February 16 2018 00:18 GMT
#84
I'm trying to get it running under wine 3.0/3.1, everything works except one thing. As soon as I put lighting=0 into my variables.txt, I get "An unexpected fatal error occurred". Same thing happens in wine 3.1. Any idea what might cause it?

Distro=Arch Linux
Version=4.15.3
RaiZ
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
2813 Posts
April 18 2018 19:41 GMT
#85
On February 16 2018 09:18 Scyless wrote:
I'm trying to get it running under wine 3.0/3.1, everything works except one thing. As soon as I put lighting=0 into my variables.txt, I get "An unexpected fatal error occurred". Same thing happens in wine 3.1. Any idea what might cause it?

Distro=Arch Linux
Version=4.15.3


Try lighting=false

The tutorial is old. It may be possible some of the variables changed, but I can't guarantee that it's the correct one. If it doesn't show the intended one, try to modify everything again but this time put lighting=true
Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. Oscar Wilde
Golgotha
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)8418 Posts
August 08 2018 03:42 GMT
#86
I'm getting back into sc2 and I wanted to try some different settings because I don't really like the high settings in the game. Is this guide still good to follow? Or is there an updated one?
Psychotikah
Profile Joined January 2015
Canada101 Posts
August 08 2018 05:51 GMT
#87
This guide is awesome. I just formatted my computer and re-installed SC2 and this is literally the first thing that I did when I got in SC2.
True_Spike
Profile Joined July 2004
Poland3434 Posts
September 25 2018 15:58 GMT
#88
I came back to the game recently after years of hiatus and it's been SO FUN; it's the best SC2 has ever been for sure.

I'm playing T now and have been using the Hybrid settings. They seem fine, but I do have one question - which setting to change to limit/remove explosions & over the top death animations? I was watching Uthermal's stream yesterday and whenever a baneling explodes there's pretty much no visual effect of that; The battlefield remains clear, everything is super visible.

Also, I'm having trouble spotting invisible units - is there anything that could help regarding this?
bobo38
Profile Joined February 2016
France220 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-09-25 20:43:29
September 25 2018 20:41 GMT
#89
you're interested in "reduced violence" in graphics settings: uncheck the box and you will be done

to spot invisible units, hybrid settings are ok, you can rotate camera in case of doubt: it makes invisible units apparent as pixel blobs then you can land scan or EMP
Check out TheCore Lite last release:
https://github.com/bobo38/TheCoreLite/releases
Arghmyliver
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States1081 Posts
September 25 2018 23:59 GMT
#90
On September 26 2018 00:58 True_Spike wrote:
I came back to the game recently after years of hiatus and it's been SO FUN; it's the best SC2 has ever been for sure.

I'm playing T now and have been using the Hybrid settings. They seem fine, but I do have one question - which setting to change to limit/remove explosions & over the top death animations? I was watching Uthermal's stream yesterday and whenever a baneling explodes there's pretty much no visual effect of that; The battlefield remains clear, everything is super visible.

Also, I'm having trouble spotting invisible units - is there anything that could help regarding this?


Since you play Terran I would recommend using the Orbital Command ability "Scanner Sweep" to spot invisible units. You could also make Ravens, but OCs require less tech and are therefore available earlier in the game.
Now witness their attempts to fly from tree to tree. Notice they do not so much fly as plummet.
True_Spike
Profile Joined July 2004
Poland3434 Posts
September 26 2018 19:26 GMT
#91
On September 26 2018 05:41 bobo38 wrote:
you're interested in "reduced violence" in graphics settings: uncheck the box and you will be done

to spot invisible units, hybrid settings are ok, you can rotate camera in case of doubt: it makes invisible units apparent as pixel blobs then you can land scan or EMP


Thanks, but I don't think that's it - I already had it ticket and so I still see the baneling explode in green goo. On some streams it just sort of disappears when it explodes; In terms of clarity it's much, much better.


On September 26 2018 08:59 Arghmyliver wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2018 00:58 True_Spike wrote:
I came back to the game recently after years of hiatus and it's been SO FUN; it's the best SC2 has ever been for sure.

I'm playing T now and have been using the Hybrid settings. They seem fine, but I do have one question - which setting to change to limit/remove explosions & over the top death animations? I was watching Uthermal's stream yesterday and whenever a baneling explodes there's pretty much no visual effect of that; The battlefield remains clear, everything is super visible.

Also, I'm having trouble spotting invisible units - is there anything that could help regarding this?


Since you play Terran I would recommend using the Orbital Command ability "Scanner Sweep" to spot invisible units. You could also make Ravens, but OCs require less tech and are therefore available earlier in the game.


Thanks! I'll give you a shout out when I win WCS next year because of that trick.
Rizare
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada593 Posts
September 26 2018 22:36 GMT
#92
You probably need set models to low. That setting on low makes units disappear instantly when they die and if it's set to high, then that's where you get units explode, melt in green acid and all.
broto
Profile Joined January 2019
42 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-26 01:52:13
January 26 2019 01:48 GMT
#93
HELLO

Is there a way to unanimate the menu background? I know some backgrounds are actually not animated if you don't have shaders on high (or medium iirc) and similiar. So this certainly is a known performance thingy to the developers which should deliver options.

I know from other games you can set such "useless" stuff to unanimated = 2d.

Which makes the big difference of a mobile system crashing/security shutting off OR running actually very well.
Stormhoof
Profile Joined January 2015
Serbia182 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-01-26 06:55:07
January 26 2019 06:51 GMT
#94
On September 27 2018 04:26 True_Spike wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 26 2018 05:41 bobo38 wrote:
you're interested in "reduced violence" in graphics settings: uncheck the box and you will be done

to spot invisible units, hybrid settings are ok, you can rotate camera in case of doubt: it makes invisible units apparent as pixel blobs then you can land scan or EMP


Thanks, but I don't think that's it - I already had it ticket and so I still see the baneling explode in green goo. On some streams it just sort of disappears when it explodes; In terms of clarity it's much, much better.


Show nested quote +
On September 26 2018 08:59 Arghmyliver wrote:
On September 26 2018 00:58 True_Spike wrote:
I came back to the game recently after years of hiatus and it's been SO FUN; it's the best SC2 has ever been for sure.

I'm playing T now and have been using the Hybrid settings. They seem fine, but I do have one question - which setting to change to limit/remove explosions & over the top death animations? I was watching Uthermal's stream yesterday and whenever a baneling explodes there's pretty much no visual effect of that; The battlefield remains clear, everything is super visible.

Also, I'm having trouble spotting invisible units - is there anything that could help regarding this?


Since you play Terran I would recommend using the Orbital Command ability "Scanner Sweep" to spot invisible units. You could also make Ravens, but OCs require less tech and are therefore available earlier in the game.


Thanks! I'll give you a shout out when I win WCS next year because of that trick.


You need models on High! Since i did that its much easier too spot banshees or observers when moving of course I dont need shout out, just send me a check
Also, check shadows and other settings for effects, when you cross over to option in graphics it will give you a little hint so you can adjust it yourself easily.
broto
Profile Joined January 2019
42 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-02-06 14:32:47
February 06 2019 14:27 GMT
#95
On January 26 2019 10:48 broto wrote:

Is there a way to unanimate the menu background?


This would greatly improve my performance. Thanks

For instance the plain "Griffin" or "Horner and Han" are still pictures, and let it run much better. They are only available in the start screen though (first left tab).









----------------

Also I have a bug report: (issue)
The map Ulzaan (with Hybrid Settings) has some flickering-backgrounds, for instance at the first ramp, starting area, quite some of the non-walkable cliffs.
Ulzan is currently in the 2vs2 Map Pool.
Kiaph
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
112 Posts
December 05 2019 05:48 GMT
#96
Recently re installed star-craft 2, and was thinking about streaming, and thought that this guide offered very good clarity, while still providing a better viewer experience in terms of graphics.

I have not played in awhile, and would hate to shoot myself in the foot, or waste too much time trying to determine if this same clarity can be kept with better graphic textures. I find it easier then some of the streamers I have watched recently to see obs using these settings and have even watched streamers miss obs, that I believe I would not have missed using hybrid settings, however the trade off for a better viewer experience may be worth missing a few observers in my TvP.

That all being said, if anyone has any experience with increases the graphics quality with the attempt to keep the main advantage of the hybrid settings ( clarity / distinction between creep/dark terrain and easier to spot burrowed / cloaked units ) I would love to know how it turned out. (ie not worth my time, or any suggestion that has worked for you)

Thanks in advance, and regardless if anyone replies, I also would like to thank the OP once again for summarizing this, as this is not my first time re installing and using this guide to quickly get back the settings I was previously using. With only 6 pages in all the years its been uploaded, I would even call this a under rated tutorial for the amount of people I am sure have used it as a reference point
StaNi
Profile Joined June 2011
Ukraine54 Posts
July 08 2020 20:17 GMT
#97
Watched Maru's Pov from GSL. He uses hybrid settings or what? Looks so bright and cool
bela.mervado
Profile Joined December 2008
Hungary417 Posts
July 09 2020 08:10 GMT
#98
On July 09 2020 05:17 StaNi wrote:
Watched Maru's Pov from GSL. He uses hybrid settings or what? Looks so bright and cool


i think it is just high gamma setting
check the loading screen at the end of match 1, or the background after match 3, so bright wherever you look
StaNi
Profile Joined June 2011
Ukraine54 Posts
July 09 2020 08:26 GMT
#99
On July 09 2020 17:10 bela.mervado wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 09 2020 05:17 StaNi wrote:
Watched Maru's Pov from GSL. He uses hybrid settings or what? Looks so bright and cool


i think it is just high gamma setting
check the loading screen at the end of match 1, or the background after match 3, so bright wherever you look

Yeah, thank you for waste time
bela.mervado
Profile Joined December 2008
Hungary417 Posts
July 09 2020 09:00 GMT
#100
On July 09 2020 17:26 StaNi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 09 2020 17:10 bela.mervado wrote:
On July 09 2020 05:17 StaNi wrote:
Watched Maru's Pov from GSL. He uses hybrid settings or what? Looks so bright and cool


i think it is just high gamma setting
check the loading screen at the end of match 1, or the background after match 3, so bright wherever you look

Yeah, thank you for waste time


No problem, i haven't seen the games yet


Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 23m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 535
ProTech156
UpATreeSC 84
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16973
Calm 3387
Mini 429
Mind 82
910 62
soO 46
Dota 2
Gorgc5545
canceldota60
Counter-Strike
fl0m2874
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3966
Other Games
FrodaN979
Beastyqt515
Liquid`Hasu313
Khaldor249
olofmeister187
Livibee184
C9.Mang0170
IndyStarCraft 123
ZombieGrub66
QueenE50
BRAT_OK 23
MindelVK6
[ Show 21 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 24
• 80smullet 22
• FirePhoenix15
• Michael_bg 2
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2924
• WagamamaTV352
League of Legends
• Nemesis1648
Other Games
• imaqtpie892
• Shiphtur689
• Scarra413
• tFFMrPink 11
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 23m
Big Brain Bouts
14h 23m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
21h 23m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
23h 23m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 14h
Patches Events
1d 19h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.