UPDATE 10/3/15: Win a copy of LotV by sharing your build orders!
Thanks everyone for your feedback on the release of the Spawning Tool Build Orders (http://lotv.spawningtool.com/build/ , explanation at http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/495133-announcing-spawning-tool-build-orders ). We have been making tweaks and fixing bugs over the past week to make it work better for you. However, we’re at a bit of a loss with LotV build orders, and we would like to jumpstart that content by starting this contest!
We will be awarding 2 preorder copies of LotV on October 10th according to the following:
1. the user who submits the build order on http://lotv.spawningtool.com/build/ with the most thumbs up by October 10th 9AM PDT.
2. we will randomly select a user in a raffle. You get one entry for every thumbs up or thumbs down vote on a build order on http://lotv.spawningtool.com/build/ submitted by October 10th 9AM PDT (note that you can only have 1 vote per build order, so it doesn't do anything to toggle the same one back and forth)
We will contact you via email to gift that copy to whichever email you wish to receive that copy of LotV. Your email will be found via your Spawning Tool: LotV account, so make sure that’s accurate as well.
1. StoicLoofah, why would I want to win a copy of LotV, especially since I pre-ordered to get beta access? Well, even if you don’t want it for yourself, I would bet that you have a friend who’s on the fence about spending $40 when there are so many FTP games out there. This is an easy way to get an archon mode or allied commanders partner into the game!
2. I really want to enter, but I don’t think I have any good LotV build orders. To be honest, I think most of us are in that spot, but we’re hoping that this will be a great area where you can share and improve your build orders based on feedback!
3. How are you handling fake accounts? If we suspect foul play in upvoting your own builds or making a ton of extra voting accounts, we will reach out to you about it as we don’t want to knock out someone who just got their friends involved. We reserve the right to exclude you from the contest.
4. What do I do if I encounter a bug and can’t publish my build order? Let me know ASAP at email@example.com , and we will do our best to resolve it quickly! What if there’s a tie for the most thumbs up on a build order? We will break ties by numbers of views. Note that thumbs down will not be counted in any way.
Feel free to ask any other questions on the comments below as well.
(This was originally posted at https://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/3ml4ag/win_a_copy_of_lotv_by_sharing_your_build_orders/)
Spawning Tool Build Orders
Over the past few years, Spawning Tool has grown a ton. Thanks to tournaments organizers and casual players, we have accumulated over 30,000 StarCraft 2 replays with 13 million build steps and 400,000 tags. Although the site can generate interesting statistics and predictions from the data, it can be daunting for players to find strategies to actually use in-game. You have to dig through hundreds of replays and hope to find a good, clean build order. We wanted to make that easier, so we’re releasing Spawning Tool Build Orders.
Build orders are the backbone of StarCraft strategy: everyone from new players to top professionals is looking for and creating build orders. Builds offer new, interesting ways to play and provide structure for the mechanical and tactical play that makes this game so much fun. Even so, there aren’t many centralized resources for build orders active today, and we didn’t want that void to be our legacy.
Spawning Tool Build Orders (also available for LotV at http://lotv.spawningtool.com/build/) lets you browse the newest or most popular build orders. Watch a walkthrough Find the builds for a matchup or to fit your playstyle, and filter down to the builds written up by our featured contributors.
The builds themselves are hand-written, so you don’t have to worry about funny timings or mistakes from build orders extracted from replays. Read an explanation, watch the VOD, follow the build order, read the annotations, get the SALT encoding, discuss the build in the comments, find similar replays, and more to really get into the strategy. And be sure to vote so the best builds can filter up to the top.
Build Orders depends on community contributions, so anyone can create and publish build orders. If you just want to use Build Orders as a personal notebook, that works. If you want to share a cool, new strategy and see it voted up by the community, that’s also great. We hope that builds are easy to write with unit name autocomplete and drag-and-drop reordering. Also, builds are integrated into our existing replay database, so you can export any replay build order as a starting point.
If you do publish a build order, remember to set your twitter and twitch names at http://spawningtool.com/accounts/preferences/ so other users can find and follow you after reading your build. Our Legacy of the Void Build Orders in particular could use more builds, and we would love to see lesser-known community members emerge as creators for their build orders. We will be watching to find more people we can mark as “Featured Contributors”.
The Spawning Tool team is committed to making StarCraft data open and accessible to the community, and we believe that Build Orders continues that same philosophy. By creating this hub for build orders, players can learn from each other and raise the level of play and enjoyment for everyone. We also realize that our site exists solely from contributions from the community and want to highlight the effort from content creators in replays, VODs, casts, writeups, and more. We don’t want to appropriate your work: we want to make accessible in a centralized, easy-to-use place so everyone can appreciate it, too.
Along those lines, we would love it if you could try out Spawning Tool Build Orders and let us know what you think. We hope that players come back to it for every ladder session and that content creators contribute more and more, but if that’s not true, we definitely want to hear about it. Feel free to share any feedback you have on this feature with us via email (firstname.lastname@example.org), twitter (@spawningtool), or anywhere else you can find us, and we will do our best to improve the experience.
GLHF, and enjoy Legacy of the Void!
-The Spawning Tool Team
Spawning Tool Build Orders