• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:06
CEST 22:06
KST 05:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9590 users

Khaldor's thoughts about the future of RTS - Page 7

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 12 Next All
Faust852
Profile Joined February 2012
Luxembourg4004 Posts
February 16 2014 09:36 GMT
#121
WC3 was logically more successful because it came after BW, with fancy graphics and at a period where video games were more popular.
Khaldor
Profile Joined March 2008
Germany861 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-16 09:41:51
February 16 2014 09:39 GMT
#122
On February 16 2014 18:36 Faust852 wrote:
WC3 was logically more successful because it came after BW, with fancy graphics and at a period where video games were more popular.


That was not the reason. One of the biggest reasons was how the internet infrastructure improved in the years before WarCraft3 was released. That's something people tend to forget completely. BW didn't create an Esports infrastructe in Europe, we did that with WarCraft 3. Creating regular tournaments, big leagues and regular broadcasts that became more and more popular over time.

Back then it was also all audio. There was no bandwith etc. for videostreams a the beginning of WarCraft3. That came a few years later and had it's breakthrough then with StarCraft 2.
Tutorials, Quick Tips and Guides: www.YouTube.com/KhaldorTV
ssxsilver
Profile Joined June 2007
United States4409 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-16 09:49:57
February 16 2014 09:42 GMT
#123
On February 16 2014 18:35 Khaldor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2014 18:32 Prince_Stranger wrote:
In my opnion LoL and Dota 2 have more viewers because it is free. Many people understands the game and ready to watch it.


That this plays a role goes without saying. But it's not as big a factor as people make it out to be. If you would make SC2 free to play today it would change very little. It would definitely have an impact, but not by as much as people seem to think.

I've also talked about this in the video (which you have obviously not watched). I ignored that argument the same way I didn't talk further about the team vs. solo argument since I wanted to add another one that has not really been discussed a lot so far. That's the entire point of the video, adding something new to the discussion and making people aware of it. Didn't call it food for thought for nothing

It would have made a huge impact had the game been released F2P. Look at HoN. It was billed as the Dota sequel (supposedly with Icefrog helping behind the scenes). There was like a 1 year window prior to Dota 2's announcement for HoN to establish a large player base or retain it's 3 million beta account users. They went with the pay model while LoL went with the free model and the rest is history.
Khaldor
Profile Joined March 2008
Germany861 Posts
February 16 2014 09:47 GMT
#124
You are assuming HoN would have been superior to LOL if both of them were F2P which you obviously can't know. I'm just saying that I do not think that if you make SC2 F2P that it would suddenly solve everything and the game would boom and gain a massive followership.

It might have been different if the game would have been released as a F2P game but I honestly doubt that even then we would have the number MOBAs currently generate. Be it as it may: those points are completely besides what the video is about and this discussion should be about. Those points have been discussed over and over again, the video I recorded was to add something new. I think it plays an important role, people are of course free to disagree but I think it's a point that has to be mentioned/talked about.
Tutorials, Quick Tips and Guides: www.YouTube.com/KhaldorTV
padiseal2
Profile Joined August 2012
Austria721 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-16 09:52:35
February 16 2014 09:51 GMT
#125
Nvm
Samsungjackets on twitch || 강민수 화이팅
Malphite
Profile Joined December 2012
United States186 Posts
February 16 2014 09:51 GMT
#126
Ok I'm the biggest SC 2 fanboy in the world. I still watch all the major events including GSL. I play league of legends.

Why?? because my friends play it. They don't play sc 2 because it's too damn hard. Plain and simple

One example, i was a masters player in 1v1,2v2,3v3,4v4 in WOL. i was diamond in HOTS 1v1 because I didn't play much. I have been playing BW since 99 rush protoss carrier days, LT 1v1 bgh days.... I tried getting my friends to play. We went to 2v2. 5 games we played, all zerg ling rushes and other early rushes. The game is way too hard for the casuals to play. People play COD because it's so easy to get kills even if you suck. I love SC2 to death, but it's just too hard for the casuals.

I feel like people reminisce on BW and how it was the biggest esports title. That was because there were no League or dota back then.
Prince_Stranger
Profile Joined November 2010
Kazakhstan762 Posts
February 16 2014 09:52 GMT
#127
On February 16 2014 18:35 Khaldor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2014 18:32 Prince_Stranger wrote:
In my opnion LoL and Dota 2 have more viewers because it is free. Many people understands the game and ready to watch it.


That this plays a role goes without saying. But it's not as big a factor as people make it out to be. If you would make SC2 free to play today it would change very little. It would definitely have an impact, but not by as much as people seem to think.

I've also talked about this in the video (which you have obviously not watched). I ignored that argument the same way I didn't talk further about the team vs. solo argument since I wanted to add another one that has not really been discussed a lot so far. That's the entire point of the video, adding something new to the discussion and making people aware of it. Didn't call it food for thought for nothing

Sorry was commenting while watching.
Heroes + StarCraft = WarCraft. It is better to not add heroes to StarCraft and have WC4 and SC3 - 2 different games instead of 2 almost equavalent.
I think you are wrong about SC2 free to play today would change very little. I agree the fact that people don't understand game. Anyone can play game or you have to make some operations before getting the game. More people understand the game. I think this is huge difference. Jaedong stream watching 2K and some random LoLer watching 30K persons.
Another disadvantage SC2 is non-stop pathches - game changers. Yeah MOBA game has it too. In my opinion it is disadvantage of competitive LoL and Dota2 too.
Just my 5 cents.
"To all eSports fans, I want to be remembered as a progamer who can make something out of nothing, and someone who always does his best. I think that is the right way of living, and I'm always doing my best to follow that." - Jaedong
Patate
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada441 Posts
February 16 2014 09:53 GMT
#128
If Riot puts a considerable amount of effort in making a RTS game, I am CERTAIN that it would be a hit. I don't think this is about the genre being non-popular, just that the offer of those games have not been good these past years. SC2 has been an ongoing trainwreck from the start, with it being kept alive by Blizzard's past games' reputation. Maps, balance, Battle.Net, and actual design were lacking in the game. It's not bad eough to be a bad game, but certainly not good enough to stay on top.

As for why developpers don't make RTS games.. mostly because this generation (starting with ps3 and xb360 in 2006) has been very poor in terms of originality and effort. There were so many FPS games, all built onto the same graphics engine. RTS on the other hand are very difficult to program, which is why the genre has been left for dead in the past years.
Dead game.
Khaldor
Profile Joined March 2008
Germany861 Posts
February 16 2014 09:56 GMT
#129
On February 16 2014 18:52 Prince_Stranger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2014 18:35 Khaldor wrote:
On February 16 2014 18:32 Prince_Stranger wrote:
In my opnion LoL and Dota 2 have more viewers because it is free. Many people understands the game and ready to watch it.


That this plays a role goes without saying. But it's not as big a factor as people make it out to be. If you would make SC2 free to play today it would change very little. It would definitely have an impact, but not by as much as people seem to think.

I've also talked about this in the video (which you have obviously not watched). I ignored that argument the same way I didn't talk further about the team vs. solo argument since I wanted to add another one that has not really been discussed a lot so far. That's the entire point of the video, adding something new to the discussion and making people aware of it. Didn't call it food for thought for nothing

Sorry was commenting while watching.
Heroes + StarCraft = WarCraft. It is better to not add heroes to StarCraft and have WC4 and SC3 - 2 different games instead of 2 almost equavalent.
I think you are wrong about SC2 free to play today would change very little. I agree the fact that people don't understand game. Anyone can play game or you have to make some operations before getting the game. More people understand the game. I think this is huge difference. Jaedong stream watching 2K and some random LoLer watching 30K persons.
Another disadvantage SC2 is non-stop pathches - game changers. Yeah MOBA game has it too. In my opinion it is disadvantage of competitive LoL and Dota2 too.
Just my 5 cents.


Don't get me wrong, I think it would change something. I just don't think it would suddenly solve everything. Should have made this a bit more clear in my post. It would, as I already said: definitely have an impact on the scene and with the release of LotV maybe even cause a second/third wind. But I still think that it would not suddenly put us on par with the MOBA scene. The F2P aspect is only one part of the problem, an important one for sure, but there's more depth to it.
Tutorials, Quick Tips and Guides: www.YouTube.com/KhaldorTV
padiseal2
Profile Joined August 2012
Austria721 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-16 10:04:20
February 16 2014 09:59 GMT
#130
On February 16 2014 18:52 Prince_Stranger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2014 18:35 Khaldor wrote:
On February 16 2014 18:32 Prince_Stranger wrote:
In my opnion LoL and Dota 2 have more viewers because it is free. Many people understands the game and ready to watch it.


That this plays a role goes without saying. But it's not as big a factor as people make it out to be. If you would make SC2 free to play today it would change very little. It would definitely have an impact, but not by as much as people seem to think.

I've also talked about this in the video (which you have obviously not watched). I ignored that argument the same way I didn't talk further about the team vs. solo argument since I wanted to add another one that has not really been discussed a lot so far. That's the entire point of the video, adding something new to the discussion and making people aware of it. Didn't call it food for thought for nothing

Sorry was commenting while watching.
Heroes + StarCraft = WarCraft. It is better to not add heroes to StarCraft and have WC4 and SC3 - 2 different games instead of 2 almost equavalent.
I think you are wrong about SC2 free to play today would change very little. I agree the fact that people don't understand game. Anyone can play game or you have to make some operations before getting the game. More people understand the game. I think this is huge difference. Jaedong stream watching 2K and some random LoLer watching 30K persons.
Another disadvantage SC2 is non-stop pathches - game changers. Yeah MOBA game has it too. In my opinion it is disadvantage of competitive LoL and Dota2 too.
Just my 5 cents.

The player stream viewer count is an entirely different issue. In my opinion league player streams attract way more viewers not only because the player base is bigger but because it's possible to interact a lot more with the viewers. Commentary during sc2 Games is basically non-existant, because the Games are much more mechanically demanding(personal opinion) while it is essential for every league stream. Aside from that Western league players are as of now still way more relevant in the lol scene than in sc2, what increases the difficulty in providing an entertaining sc2 stream
Samsungjackets on twitch || 강민수 화이팅
Faust852
Profile Joined February 2012
Luxembourg4004 Posts
February 16 2014 10:00 GMT
#131
On February 16 2014 18:39 Khaldor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2014 18:36 Faust852 wrote:
WC3 was logically more successful because it came after BW, with fancy graphics and at a period where video games were more popular.


That was not the reason. One of the biggest reasons was how the internet infrastructure improved in the years before WarCraft3 was released. That's something people tend to forget completely. BW didn't create an Esports infrastructe in Europe, we did that with WarCraft 3. Creating regular tournaments, big leagues and regular broadcasts that became more and more popular over time.

Back then it was also all audio. There was no bandwith etc. for videostreams a the beginning of WarCraft3. That came a few years later and had it's breakthrough then with StarCraft 2.


And how the fact that it came later didn't help ? Blizzard made a name or itself, internet became more popular, and videogame where exploding at the time. It could have been WC3 in 1998 and BW in 2002, i'm pretty sure we would have see the same patern. It's more due to the context of each game more than the game in itself.
ssxsilver
Profile Joined June 2007
United States4409 Posts
February 16 2014 10:01 GMT
#132
On February 16 2014 18:47 Khaldor wrote:
You are assuming HoN would have been superior to LOL if both of them were F2P which you obviously can't know. I'm just saying that I do not think that if you make SC2 F2P that it would suddenly solve everything and the game would boom and gain a massive followership.

It might have been different if the game would have been released as a F2P game but I honestly doubt that even then we would have the number MOBAs currently generate. Be it as it may: those points are completely besides what the video is about and this discussion should be about. Those points have been discussed over and over again, the video I recorded was to add something new. I think it plays an important role, people are of course free to disagree but I think it's a point that has to be mentioned/talked about.

I'm not suggesting either is superior. I'm just saying it's (the impact of F2P) not a marginal factor considering how the 3 MOBAs turned out (I participated in all 3 betas mind you). The active userbase of HoN's beta was actually on par with LoL's, but fell off the cliff once the game went "live" and then practically doubled once they switched to "f2p."

In any case, I put in my response to your videos a few posts back. Some agreements, some disagreements. Much sadness for SC2.
Khaldor
Profile Joined March 2008
Germany861 Posts
February 16 2014 10:04 GMT
#133
On February 16 2014 19:00 Faust852 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2014 18:39 Khaldor wrote:
On February 16 2014 18:36 Faust852 wrote:
WC3 was logically more successful because it came after BW, with fancy graphics and at a period where video games were more popular.


That was not the reason. One of the biggest reasons was how the internet infrastructure improved in the years before WarCraft3 was released. That's something people tend to forget completely. BW didn't create an Esports infrastructe in Europe, we did that with WarCraft 3. Creating regular tournaments, big leagues and regular broadcasts that became more and more popular over time.

Back then it was also all audio. There was no bandwith etc. for videostreams a the beginning of WarCraft3. That came a few years later and had it's breakthrough then with StarCraft 2.


And how the fact that it came later didn't help ? Blizzard made a name or itself, internet became more popular, and videogame where exploding at the time. It could have been WC3 in 1998 and BW in 2002, i'm pretty sure we would have see the same patern. It's more due to the context of each game more than the game in itself.


The way you wrote your initial post I assumed you were saying that the reason why WC3 was more successful was because BW pathed the way. Which is not really true as we weren't really able to build an infrastructure for esports in Europe just yet.

If you are referring to WarCraft3 having the better standing because of the improvements in technology etc. you are of course correct. That helped tremendously and gave us the chance to start building esports in the first place. Sorry if I misunderstood your comment. I just answered one on the page before where someone referred to the success BW had in Korea (which is imho a silly argument for reasons mentioned). So I automatically assumed you were going in the same direction with your comment.
Tutorials, Quick Tips and Guides: www.YouTube.com/KhaldorTV
bhfberserk
Profile Joined August 2011
Canada390 Posts
February 16 2014 10:05 GMT
#134
I don't think it is true that the audience likes to just see flashy moments. People can appreciates tactical maneuver, clever tech choice, strategy.

The biggest problem in SC2 is still, "Turtle 3 bases, massing up a big army then A-move across the map." This is still the most efficient way to play the game, and most pro-gamers tend to use this method to win.

People cannot appreciate other strategic choice because we see this format far too often.
Khaldor
Profile Joined March 2008
Germany861 Posts
February 16 2014 10:07 GMT
#135
On February 16 2014 19:01 ssxsilver wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2014 18:47 Khaldor wrote:
You are assuming HoN would have been superior to LOL if both of them were F2P which you obviously can't know. I'm just saying that I do not think that if you make SC2 F2P that it would suddenly solve everything and the game would boom and gain a massive followership.

It might have been different if the game would have been released as a F2P game but I honestly doubt that even then we would have the number MOBAs currently generate. Be it as it may: those points are completely besides what the video is about and this discussion should be about. Those points have been discussed over and over again, the video I recorded was to add something new. I think it plays an important role, people are of course free to disagree but I think it's a point that has to be mentioned/talked about.

I'm not suggesting either is superior. I'm just saying it's (the impact of F2P) not a marginal factor considering how the 3 MOBAs turned out (I participated in all 3 betas mind you). The active userbase of HoN's beta was actually on par with LoL's, but fell off the cliff once the game went "live" and then practically doubled once they switched to "f2p."

In any case, I put in my response to your videos a few posts back. Some agreements, some disagreements. Much sadness for SC2.


You also have to take into consideration though that HoN, LOL and DotA are all MOBAs. StarCraft2 is a completely different genre. Therefore the matter is much more complex than isolating a single reason for the success or lack of success compared to other games. And I think that the argument that I made in the video is one of these additional reasons.
Tutorials, Quick Tips and Guides: www.YouTube.com/KhaldorTV
Faust852
Profile Joined February 2012
Luxembourg4004 Posts
February 16 2014 10:07 GMT
#136
On February 16 2014 19:04 Khaldor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2014 19:00 Faust852 wrote:
On February 16 2014 18:39 Khaldor wrote:
On February 16 2014 18:36 Faust852 wrote:
WC3 was logically more successful because it came after BW, with fancy graphics and at a period where video games were more popular.


That was not the reason. One of the biggest reasons was how the internet infrastructure improved in the years before WarCraft3 was released. That's something people tend to forget completely. BW didn't create an Esports infrastructe in Europe, we did that with WarCraft 3. Creating regular tournaments, big leagues and regular broadcasts that became more and more popular over time.

Back then it was also all audio. There was no bandwith etc. for videostreams a the beginning of WarCraft3. That came a few years later and had it's breakthrough then with StarCraft 2.


And how the fact that it came later didn't help ? Blizzard made a name or itself, internet became more popular, and videogame where exploding at the time. It could have been WC3 in 1998 and BW in 2002, i'm pretty sure we would have see the same patern. It's more due to the context of each game more than the game in itself.


The way you wrote your initial post I assumed you were saying that the reason why WC3 was more successful was because BW pathed the way. Which is not really true as we weren't really able to build an infrastructure for esports in Europe just yet.

If you are referring to WarCraft3 having the better standing because of the improvements in technology etc. you are of course correct. That helped tremendously and gave us the chance to start building esports in the first place. Sorry if I misunderstood your comment. I just answered one on the page before where someone referred to the success BW had in Korea (which is imho a silly argument for reasons mentioned). So I automatically assumed you were going in the same direction with your comment.


Yep there was a misunderstanding then, i totaly agree with you. BW was really a niche game back in the day in the West.
SiroKO
Profile Joined February 2012
France721 Posts
February 16 2014 10:08 GMT
#137
I don't agree with Khaldor.
Clarity of the graphics is definitely a huge deal for neophytes,
both players and spectators, but that's basically it.
All this obsession about 'heros' is non-sense to me.
LoL is a slow game, with very obscure and confusing animations.
You wouldn't get excited by LoL/HoN if you don't know the heros
well, in other words, if you didn't play the game.

The significant difference is that these games are easier to play
than games from the RTS genre, thus more appealing to a wider
audience. It takes far less skill and less personal investment to
become decent at LoL or HoN.

TLDR : what matters for neophytes
1/. clear graphics 2/. noobie friendly interface
no "heroes", as if they were a concept in themselves...
Our envy always last longer than the happiness of those we envy
Prince_Stranger
Profile Joined November 2010
Kazakhstan762 Posts
February 16 2014 10:10 GMT
#138
On February 16 2014 18:56 Khaldor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2014 18:52 Prince_Stranger wrote:
On February 16 2014 18:35 Khaldor wrote:
On February 16 2014 18:32 Prince_Stranger wrote:
In my opnion LoL and Dota 2 have more viewers because it is free. Many people understands the game and ready to watch it.


That this plays a role goes without saying. But it's not as big a factor as people make it out to be. If you would make SC2 free to play today it would change very little. It would definitely have an impact, but not by as much as people seem to think.

I've also talked about this in the video (which you have obviously not watched). I ignored that argument the same way I didn't talk further about the team vs. solo argument since I wanted to add another one that has not really been discussed a lot so far. That's the entire point of the video, adding something new to the discussion and making people aware of it. Didn't call it food for thought for nothing

Sorry was commenting while watching.
Heroes + StarCraft = WarCraft. It is better to not add heroes to StarCraft and have WC4 and SC3 - 2 different games instead of 2 almost equavalent.
I think you are wrong about SC2 free to play today would change very little. I agree the fact that people don't understand game. Anyone can play game or you have to make some operations before getting the game. More people understand the game. I think this is huge difference. Jaedong stream watching 2K and some random LoLer watching 30K persons.
Another disadvantage SC2 is non-stop pathches - game changers. Yeah MOBA game has it too. In my opinion it is disadvantage of competitive LoL and Dota2 too.
Just my 5 cents.


Don't get me wrong, I think it would change something. I just don't think it would suddenly solve everything. Should have made this a bit more clear in my post. It would, as I already said: definitely have an impact on the scene and with the release of LotV maybe even cause a second/third wind. But I still think that it would not suddenly put us on par with the MOBA scene. The F2P aspect is only one part of the problem, an important one for sure, but there's more depth to it.

Agree with important one for sure.
On February 16 2014 18:51 Malphite wrote:
Ok I'm the biggest SC 2 fanboy in the world. I still watch all the major events including GSL. I play league of legends.

Why?? because my friends play it. They don't play sc 2 because it's too damn hard. Plain and simple

One example, i was a masters player in 1v1,2v2,3v3,4v4 in WOL. i was diamond in HOTS 1v1 because I didn't play much. I have been playing BW since 99 rush protoss carrier days, LT 1v1 bgh days.... I tried getting my friends to play. We went to 2v2. 5 games we played, all zerg ling rushes and other early rushes. The game is way too hard for the casuals to play. People play COD because it's so easy to get kills even if you suck. I love SC2 to death, but it's just too hard for the casuals.

I feel like people reminisce on BW and how it was the biggest esports title. That was because there were no League or dota back then.

However, there was Dota when BW was still popular. I always liked BW sport game for it looked similar to chess with skill require factor. Yes, it is harder to play BW/SC2 but it motivates to play it. In Korea BW succes mentality is great and I think it could be repeated in another country, at least hoped for it.
"To all eSports fans, I want to be remembered as a progamer who can make something out of nothing, and someone who always does his best. I think that is the right way of living, and I'm always doing my best to follow that." - Jaedong
Moonsalt
Profile Joined May 2011
267 Posts
February 16 2014 10:11 GMT
#139
I totally agree about how the games are compared from a viewer perspective and that in Starcraft 2 it's harderd to appreciate what the player does if you don't know the game or watching a match for the first time.
Khaldor
Profile Joined March 2008
Germany861 Posts
February 16 2014 10:14 GMT
#140
On February 16 2014 19:08 SiroKO wrote:
TLDR : what matters for neophytes
1/. clear graphics 2/. noobie friendly interface
no "heroes", as if they were a concept in themselves...


The concept is not heroes, the concept is Micro vs. Macro.

With a hero-based game Micro will be the dominating factor. To make a player micro intensively you must make the individual unit important enough for him to be willing to spend the time to do it. The more valuable the unit the more willing he is. A hero unit puts that principle to an extreme, that's why I used it in all the examples.
Tutorials, Quick Tips and Guides: www.YouTube.com/KhaldorTV
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O95
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason173
BRAT_OK 56
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15310
Artosis 837
Mini 237
ZZZero.O 95
Mind 76
Hyun 38
Bale 25
NaDa 23
Dota 2
qojqva2693
420jenkins556
League of Legends
Doublelift1893
JimRising 18
Counter-Strike
Fnx 602
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6120
Khaldor1242
Liquid`Hasu1054
Other Games
summit1g6416
FrodaN2278
B2W.Neo773
byalli331
ToD208
Railgan38
KnowMe6
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1319
BasetradeTV265
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream40
StarCraft 2
angryscii 35
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 42
• Adnapsc2 38
• Reevou 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• Hupsaiya 0
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki19
• FirePhoenix11
• FT.aCt)Sony2
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie726
• Shiphtur250
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
2h 54m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 54m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
14h 54m
Monday Night Weeklies
19h 54m
Replay Cast
1d 2h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 13h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 14h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.