• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:01
CEST 18:01
KST 01:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7978 users

Hybrid settings 2.0 - Page 15

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 22 Next All
Existor
Profile Joined July 2010
Russian Federation4295 Posts
May 20 2014 21:19 GMT
#281
On May 21 2014 04:45 SphinxOP wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 21 2014 04:11 Existor wrote: Habitation station brightness on hybrid settings is same as on medium settings.


Really? I could have sworn it was brighter. Anyways, what commands are for the specifications I said? I'd like to try just those. Thanks for the quick answer.

It depends on Models.
Psycho.Vortex
Profile Joined May 2014
Chile2 Posts
May 30 2014 01:57 GMT
#282
Hi Guys I'm new here.

I have been trying so hard to make this work in my MAC but I can not find any way at all, I didn't see any .txt file. Please Could you help me. BlibleThump
Vino
daurp
Profile Joined May 2014
Sweden3 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-31 13:11:21
May 31 2014 13:08 GMT
#283
Hello, The ground becomes BLACK even though i've tried to "fix" it for about 2 hours now with all of the "fixes" that you got. I've tried it all. I have ASUS radeon 7950 graphics card if that matters... does it support this kind of "settings"? Rofl. Even though I play this game perfect without problems on maxed out settings.

I am now very frustrated because of 2 hours i've been trying to get this to work because i've seen how good it looks / feels and I really really want it. Well, as I have renamed the SC2 folders I feel it's harder to find the cache, I am maybe not clearing the right one? This is how my folder looks like D:\games\Blizzard\StarCraft II - and inside that I have nothing called cache.

( and yes I have done so I can see hidden folders )

So, what i've done is gone into the updates folder because there is the only place that I could find a "cache" folder and I deleted it. Then followed all other steps EXACTLY. If i've done something wrong it should have been with the cache folder deletion.

Sorry for this wall of text but I just want to make sure you guys maybe can understand and help me.

Thanks!

I have the latest drivers too.
Parcelleus
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia1662 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-31 13:39:28
May 31 2014 13:37 GMT
#284
On May 31 2014 22:08 daurp wrote:
Hello, The ground becomes BLACK even though i've tried to "fix" it for about 2 hours now with all of the "fixes" that you got. I've tried it all. I have ASUS radeon 7950 graphics card if that matters... does it support this kind of "settings"? Rofl. Even though I play this game perfect without problems on maxed out settings.

I am now very frustrated because of 2 hours i've been trying to get this to work because i've seen how good it looks / feels and I really really want it. Well, as I have renamed the SC2 folders I feel it's harder to find the cache, I am maybe not clearing the right one? This is how my folder looks like D:\games\Blizzard\StarCraft II - and inside that I have nothing called cache.

( and yes I have done so I can see hidden folders )

So, what i've done is gone into the updates folder because there is the only place that I could find a "cache" folder and I deleted it. Then followed all other steps EXACTLY. If i've done something wrong it should have been with the cache folder deletion.

Sorry for this wall of text but I just want to make sure you guys maybe can understand and help me.

Thanks!

I have the latest drivers too.



Hey, you are looking in the incorrect folder. You should be looking in C (or whatever drive is your OS drive, usually C) : ProgramData / BlizzardEntertainment / StarCraft II

Also, you may need to repair (from Sc2 launcher options) numerous times.

GL
*burp*
daurp
Profile Joined May 2014
Sweden3 Posts
May 31 2014 15:14 GMT
#285
Okay I found it. C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II - But there is no cache in that folder, so I went into the next C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II\Maps - there I have a cache folder, so I deleted it and then I went into the battle.net APP and repair / scanned sc2 several times ( 5/6 times ) then I launched it, went into the unit preloader, and there we go, units and buildings on a totally black map.

Damn, this aint working for me... if I did something wrong again, please tell me all steps like if I was retarded rofl.

Thanks!
Parcelleus
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia1662 Posts
May 31 2014 15:37 GMT
#286
On June 01 2014 00:14 daurp wrote:
Okay I found it. C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II - But there is no cache in that folder, so I went into the next C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II\Maps - there I have a cache folder, so I deleted it and then I went into the battle.net APP and repair / scanned sc2 several times ( 5/6 times ) then I launched it, went into the unit preloader, and there we go, units and buildings on a totally black map.

Damn, this aint working for me... if I did something wrong again, please tell me all steps like if I was retarded rofl.

Thanks!


Delete it again , and also delete the shaders folder in C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II\Versions.

Then delete your variables.txt and load sc2 :

Choose your Texture quality which you prefer more.

Set Graphics Quality to Low (i.e. everything to low)

Find your variables.txt, located here / Documents / StarCraft II / .. and backup them, if you will want to return to old settings.

Close the StarCraft 2 game, if it's launched.

Copypaste the following code to the end of your original variables.txt:

antialias=0
bakeTerrainLighting=0
creeptrans=1
globalhdr=1
glossmaps=1
GraphicsOptionEffectsDetail=1
GraphicsOptionModelQuality=1
GraphicsOptionOverallQualityVer7[15]=5
GraphicsOptionPortraits=1
GraphicsOptionShaderDetail=1
GraphicsOptionShadowQuality=0
lighting=0
lightingLevel=2
lightingregionmapterrain=1
localhdr=1
lowqualitymodels=0
normalmap=1
particlelod=1
pixellight=1
portraits3d=0
preBlendedCreep=0
sampleFOW=1
shadows=1
simplifiedCloaking=0
simplifiedShaders=0
spec=1
splatlod=1
textureBasedFOW=1
use20shaders=0
useLowqualitymodels=0


Save and close variables.txt, and launch StarCraft 2 to try new Hybrid Settings.

*burp*
daurp
Profile Joined May 2014
Sweden3 Posts
May 31 2014 18:05 GMT
#287
Oh sweet! Thank you really much for the help! Now it works! Damn, so stupid I am for not trying that.. anyways, thank you really much! It worked perfectly
Musicka
Profile Joined March 2013
United States5 Posts
May 31 2014 20:31 GMT
#288
Can someone please tell me how to find the variables.txt file on a Mac?
Musicka
Profile Joined March 2013
United States5 Posts
May 31 2014 20:33 GMT
#289
Nevermind. I found out how to get to the 'variables.txt' file on Mac.

1. Click anywhere on your Desktop.
2. Select Go from the system menu bar and select Go to Folder: http://i50.tinypic.com/28vt2yw.png
3. Copy/Paste the following line:
~/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/StarCraft II
4. Press enter and you should now see your variables.txt files.
Existor
Profile Joined July 2010
Russian Federation4295 Posts
May 31 2014 20:47 GMT
#290
On June 01 2014 05:33 Musicka wrote:
Nevermind. I found out how to get to the 'variables.txt' file on Mac.

1. Click anywhere on your Desktop.
2. Select Go from the system menu bar and select Go to Folder: http://i50.tinypic.com/28vt2yw.png
3. Copy/Paste the following line:
~/Library/Application Support/Blizzard/StarCraft II
4. Press enter and you should now see your variables.txt files.

Thank you! I'll add to the OP
ElriCtheProtoss
Profile Joined May 2014
Sweden3 Posts
June 01 2014 11:16 GMT
#291
does anyone know why my pylon power suck even after the settings?
“Never ignore coincidence. Unless, of course, you’re busy. In which case, always ignore coincidence.”
Parcelleus
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia1662 Posts
June 01 2014 14:59 GMT
#292
On June 01 2014 03:05 daurp wrote:
Oh sweet! Thank you really much for the help! Now it works! Damn, so stupid I am for not trying that.. anyways, thank you really much! It worked perfectly


You're welcome enjoy ! xD
*burp*
Existor
Profile Joined July 2010
Russian Federation4295 Posts
June 01 2014 20:08 GMT
#293
Found another hybrid user

http://www.twitch.tv/ketroc
Existor
Profile Joined July 2010
Russian Federation4295 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-02 15:50:35
June 02 2014 15:13 GMT
#294
Found more Hybrid users

http://www.twitch.tv/jaypower
http://www.twitch.tv/crank

Also added tl;dr green text to the OP (at the beginning of 1st post) about quick install.
skern49
Profile Joined January 2014
28 Posts
June 03 2014 06:00 GMT
#295
I want to keep medium settings but replace the angled shadows with blob shadows. I set GraphicsOptionShadowQuality=0 which gives blobs, and I set other shadow variables to 0, but once I run the game, it changes those variables back to 1 so I end up with BOTH kinds of shadow. I would have to set all in-game settings to Low, so shadow variables are default 0, and then change ALL OF THE other variables back to medium settings, which is way beyond me.

Is there any way around this?
Existor
Profile Joined July 2010
Russian Federation4295 Posts
June 03 2014 12:23 GMT
#296
On June 03 2014 15:00 skern49 wrote:
I want to keep medium settings but replace the angled shadows with blob shadows. I set GraphicsOptionShadowQuality=0 which gives blobs, and I set other shadow variables to 0, but once I run the game, it changes those variables back to 1 so I end up with BOTH kinds of shadow. I would have to set all in-game settings to Low, so shadow variables are default 0, and then change ALL OF THE other variables back to medium settings, which is way beyond me.

Is there any way around this?

I'll explain this no-shadows trick.

Magical parameter lighting=0 turns off ANY lighting in the game. And because there is no light, shadows can't exist at all (except blob-shadows, that are just generic black blob image instead of generated shadows from 3D objects)

For no-shadows mode you must have shadows from medium to ultra. Only low-shadows will generate blobs under units and some buildings.

There is also one unneeded and funny trick, that allows you to have 3D shadows and blob-shadows on standard medium settings (with all that shiny effect)
skern49
Profile Joined January 2014
28 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-04 06:10:07
June 04 2014 04:19 GMT
#297
Thanks for replying! The problem is, lighting=0 gets rid of ALL lighting, like you said. But I want to keep all lighting EXCEPT for the 3D shadows. I like shiny stuff

I have found out how to do your last trick, with 3D shadows AND blob shadows on medium settings. But I don't want both shadows

Is there any way to do this?

On June 03 2014 21:23 Existor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 03 2014 15:00 skern49 wrote:
I want to keep medium settings but replace the angled shadows with blob shadows. I set GraphicsOptionShadowQuality=0 which gives blobs, and I set other shadow variables to 0, but once I run the game, it changes those variables back to 1 so I end up with BOTH kinds of shadow. I would have to set all in-game settings to Low, so shadow variables are default 0, and then change ALL OF THE other variables back to medium settings, which is way beyond me.

Is there any way around this?

I'll explain this no-shadows trick.

Magical parameter lighting=0 turns off ANY lighting in the game. And because there is no light, shadows can't exist at all (except blob-shadows, that are just generic black blob image instead of generated shadows from 3D objects)

For no-shadows mode you must have shadows from medium to ultra. Only low-shadows will generate blobs under units and some buildings.

There is also one unneeded and funny trick, that allows you to have 3D shadows and blob-shadows on standard medium settings (with all that shiny effect)

nrv
Profile Joined April 2011
United States113 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-06-05 07:18:29
June 05 2014 07:18 GMT
#298
I wanted something like this a few years ago and now you finally made it, thanks man.
yes
Bruc3l33t
Profile Joined June 2012
18 Posts
June 05 2014 19:36 GMT
#299
Is this legal in tournaments? Also korean tournaments?
Use no limitation as limitation
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
June 05 2014 22:10 GMT
#300
no tournament that we know of has banned these settings or anything that is required to make them
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 17 22 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TaKeTV 67
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ByuN 12
RotterdaM 7
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 4368
Shuttle 1199
Bisu 1136
Stork 541
BeSt 402
EffOrt 363
Mini 354
actioN 285
Rush 265
Horang2 257
[ Show more ]
hero 134
Mind 131
Light 113
910 88
Yoon 88
Zeus 74
Mong 73
Snow 58
Shinee 54
sorry 53
Sea.KH 48
Barracks 45
JYJ 37
Bale 25
Killer 24
Sexy 24
ToSsGirL 23
Terrorterran 23
HiyA 21
yabsab 15
scan(afreeca) 14
zelot 12
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc5592
qojqva2822
Dendi1317
Counter-Strike
fl0m3661
Fnx 710
Other Games
singsing2608
TKL 1018
hiko945
ceh9383
Livibee340
XBOCT289
Hui .219
Beastyqt215
Liquid`VortiX193
XaKoH 151
Trikslyr30
Chillindude15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix13
• iopq 11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2790
Other Games
• Shiphtur151
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
6h 59m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 59m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
18h 59m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 7h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.