• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:18
CEST 00:18
KST 07:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)52Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9641 users

Starbow - Page 56

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 54 55 56 57 58 346 Next
NukeD
Profile Joined October 2010
Croatia1612 Posts
January 16 2014 16:27 GMT
#1101
On January 17 2014 00:54 Plansix wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 17 2014 00:46 NukeD wrote:
On January 17 2014 00:10 Plansix wrote:
On January 16 2014 23:57 Heartland wrote:
The chances for Starbow to get anywhere are probably related to how much people actually like the mod, and how much people are using it as a chance to bitch about sc2. If it's the latter then it's probably not going to make it very far.

Agreed. The mod needs to stand on it's own, rather the be a place where people can just take shots at SC2 because they know they are in front of a friendly audience that will agree with them.

How do you like the mod so far?

It's good so far. Science vessels are pretty dumb when it shits all over your army with unremovable AOE damage and some of the anti air units are a little lack luster. But their is room to grow. Early scouting seems a bit rough for Protoss too.

But this is just and friend and I fucking around. Still, i don't like that science vessel.

Yes I agree about irradiate. My main grief is still the pathing tho. Also zerg seems to be weak aerly to mid game vs Terran in my extremely limited experience.
sorry for dem one liners
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-16 16:38:26
January 16 2014 16:29 GMT
#1102
On January 17 2014 01:24 purakushi wrote:
@Hider, does irradiate (splash) stack? It seems like it does. It did in BW, but that may be too strong for smartcast.

On that note, what's the update on possibly adding no-smartcast? (IdrA wants it )
--
Also, I said this in the other thread: if irradiate is allowed to stack that makes it more powerful, but that's a justification for removing smartcast. You could even say the same thing for psionic storm, I think if it's allowed to stack that's probably balanced if it comes with smartcast removal?

Alternatively, irradiate can have a much lower cast range so that the science vessel is more vulnerable to scourge.

I think generally speaking it's bad to have detection units that are too available, since scan is such a nice mechanic for detection already as there is opportunity cost instead of omnipresent detection units that makes all burrow/cloak strategies pointless past a certain point.

On January 17 2014 01:27 NukeD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 17 2014 00:54 Plansix wrote:
On January 17 2014 00:46 NukeD wrote:
On January 17 2014 00:10 Plansix wrote:
On January 16 2014 23:57 Heartland wrote:
The chances for Starbow to get anywhere are probably related to how much people actually like the mod, and how much people are using it as a chance to bitch about sc2. If it's the latter then it's probably not going to make it very far.

Agreed. The mod needs to stand on it's own, rather the be a place where people can just take shots at SC2 because they know they are in front of a friendly audience that will agree with them.

How do you like the mod so far?

It's good so far. Science vessels are pretty dumb when it shits all over your army with unremovable AOE damage and some of the anti air units are a little lack luster. But their is room to grow. Early scouting seems a bit rough for Protoss too.

But this is just and friend and I fucking around. Still, i don't like that science vessel.

My main grief is still the pathing tho.

Yeah, but it's the same thing as with limited unit selection: no matter your opinion about it, it's not possibly in the game's engine, so at what point does it cease being productive to discuss it? I think it's more sensible to simply accept it and balance the game around these fundamentals (which is perfectly possible, see ZvT in SC2).
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
January 16 2014 16:33 GMT
#1103
You can dodge psy storm once cast and the caster is a ground unit that's slow like dirt. The SV is an unblock able flying unit that does nothing but build up energy and then shit all over the army. And if the damage stacks, the Terran just gets more SVs, cause why not?

Basically it's like fungle that just fucking kills you instead of rooting you. And the infestor can fly too.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Heartland
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Sweden24604 Posts
January 16 2014 16:35 GMT
#1104
You could make the case that it's too early to know if there is some balance or not and that the meta has to develop. Perhaps people will learn how to spread or protect important units.
Deleted User 97295
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
1137 Posts
January 16 2014 16:42 GMT
#1105
--- Nuked ---
Killcani
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden448 Posts
January 16 2014 16:42 GMT
#1106
I would be careful to take balance feedback from forums like these as most people posting have no clue what they are talking about. I just think you should strive to make this game more exciting(slower battles, more micro, reavers shots etc) and APM intensive(so better players can shine) as those were two areas that I felt sc2 really lacked in.
Squat
Profile Joined September 2013
Sweden7978 Posts
January 16 2014 16:44 GMT
#1107
The meta development will definitely solve many of these issues over time. That being said, I am worried about things like Dark Swarm and Irradiate being as strong as they are with Smartcast. Watching a terran irradiate anything that costs gas in 5-6 seconds, or seeing how Sasquatch carpeted QCX's entire army with DS makes a little concerned.

These spells could be as powerful as they were in BW because the UI prevented spamming to a large extent. I really do think one or the other will have to give, either smartcast, or some nerfs to the really powerful, game-changing spells.
"Digital. They have digital. What is digital?" - Donald J Trump
TheBloodyDwarf
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
Finland7524 Posts
January 16 2014 16:45 GMT
#1108
On January 17 2014 01:42 Killcani wrote:
I would be careful to take balance feedback from forums like these as most people posting have no clue what they are talking about. I just think you should strive to make this game more exciting(slower battles, more micro, reavers shots etc) and APM intensive(so better players can shine) as those were two areas that I felt sc2 really lacked in.

apm says who is better player. lol.
Fusilero: "I still can't believe he did that, like dude what the fuck there's fandom and then there's what he did like holy shit. I still see it when I close my eyes." <- reaction to the original drunk santa post which later caught on
NukeD
Profile Joined October 2010
Croatia1612 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-16 16:47:58
January 16 2014 16:46 GMT
#1109
On January 17 2014 01:29 Grumbels wrote:
Yeah, but it's the same thing as with limited unit selection: no matter your opinion about it, it's not possibly in the game's engine, so at what point does it cease being productive to discuss it? I think it's more sensible to simply accept it and balance the game around these fundamentals (which is perfectly possible, see ZvT in SC2).

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=223889&currentpage=40#783

It IS possible to make units not push eachother and there are more suggestions in that thread which have not been implemented in Starbow.

EDIT: I meant there are more suggestions in this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=377527
sorry for dem one liners
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
January 16 2014 16:46 GMT
#1110
On January 17 2014 01:33 Plansix wrote:
You can dodge psy storm once cast and the caster is a ground unit that's slow like dirt. The SV is an unblock able flying unit that does nothing but build up energy and then !@#$%^&* all over the army. And if the damage stacks, the Terran just gets more SVs, cause why not?

Basically it's like fungle that just fucking kills you instead of rooting you. And the infestor can fly too.


I think the issue here is that the SV is basically good vs everything. It rapes Mutalisks, its great vs Lurkers, Defiler and Viper and pretty decent vs Ultralisks. So you always want to get them. While it is a neccesity that its great vs Mutalisks (would be impossible to balance TvZ otherwise), it could definitely need some type of change in one way.
TheWorldToCome
Profile Joined January 2012
United States452 Posts
January 16 2014 16:46 GMT
#1111
Irradiate is way too strong as is.
Starcraft 2 was designed to have a best race. You play the worst one.
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-16 16:56:09
January 16 2014 16:49 GMT
#1112
On January 17 2014 01:35 Heartland wrote:
You could make the case that it's too early to know if there is some balance or not and that the meta has to develop. Perhaps people will learn how to spread or protect important units.

Yeah, it's hardly like science vessels are irredeemably too powerful. In Brood War there were strategic ways to utilize them that depended on knowledge of your opponent's army movements: the location of his tech units, the location of his anti-air units, the location of your units. You could often dare cutting into your opponent's territory because of this knowledge without putting your vessels at too much risk. It's very similar to MMA's archetypal TvZ style of using drops to pull his opponent out of position so he can advance with his tanks and vice versa. Because this does depend on skill & gives your opponent counterplay it can easily appear to be too powerful in the hands of a strong player, but that's not necessarily so. The zerg has ways of properly safeguarding his units, and in Starbow there are queens to possibly heal the affected units, to further give possible counters to irradiate-play.
On January 17 2014 01:46 NukeD wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 17 2014 01:29 Grumbels wrote:
Yeah, but it's the same thing as with limited unit selection: no matter your opinion about it, it's not possibly in the game's engine, so at what point does it cease being productive to discuss it? I think it's more sensible to simply accept it and balance the game around these fundamentals (which is perfectly possible, see ZvT in SC2).

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=223889&currentpage=40#783

It IS possible to make units not push eachother and there are more suggestions in that thread which have not been implemented in Starbow.

EDIT: I meant there are more suggestions in this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=377527

I guess that's interesting, but I don't know if I would trust an implementation by community members, (and I don't know if Starbow developers have the required expertise), since it's so strongly tied to the existing pathfinding. Wouldn't you need triggers to constantly affect units? I would be very worried about whether you can create consistent unit movement this way.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Killcani
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden448 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-16 16:51:44
January 16 2014 16:51 GMT
#1113
On January 17 2014 01:45 TheBloodyDwarf wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 17 2014 01:42 Killcani wrote:
I would be careful to take balance feedback from forums like these as most people posting have no clue what they are talking about. I just think you should strive to make this game more exciting(slower battles, more micro, reavers shots etc) and APM intensive(so better players can shine) as those were two areas that I felt sc2 really lacked in.

apm says who is better player. lol.

yes it does if the game requires a certain amount of apm to be played good.
NukeD
Profile Joined October 2010
Croatia1612 Posts
January 16 2014 16:56 GMT
#1114
On January 17 2014 01:49 Grumbels wrote:
I guess that's interesting, but I don't know if I would trust an implementation by community members, since it's so strongly tied to the pathfinding implementation in the engine. Wouldn't you need triggers to constantly affect units? I would be very worried about whether you can create a consistent implementation that's not frustrating.

The guy says its literally a flag command you can switch off by one click. That doesnt sound like something too extreme to implement,
sorry for dem one liners
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-16 17:05:38
January 16 2014 17:02 GMT
#1115
I don't quite understand the discussions about smartcast, pathing and unit selection. Aren't those some of the main things that set Starbow apart from BW (and the SC2BW mod)?
I mean, sure Starbow can toy around with that kind of stuff. But wouldn't it be more interesting to balance Starbow around being Starbow, instead of just going back to BW whenever a problem (or some theoretical arguement why there could be a problem) occurs?

Edit: Not to get missinterpreted. If the question is only whether units should move a little more spread etc. I'm all for (at least discussing/testing) it. Just not the extreme let's-solve-it-with-BW approaches for things that may be solveable more comfortably.
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-16 17:04:40
January 16 2014 17:04 GMT
#1116
On January 17 2014 02:02 Big J wrote:
I don't quite understand the discussions about smartcast, pathing and unit selection. Aren't those some of the main things that set Starbow apart from BW (and the SC2BW mod)?
I mean, sure Starbow can toy around with that kind of stuff. But wouldn't it be more interesting to balance Starbow around being Starbow, instead of just going back to BW whenever a problem (or some theoretical arguement why there could be a problem) occurs?

But clumps of hydras and roaches still look bad in Starbow. If there was a non-intrusive way of making units spread out more I think we should go for it. (I just doubt whether it's all that easy) Also, removal of smartcast goes a long way to balancing spellpower. (and unit selection isn't possible to change therefore shouldn't be brought up)
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
NukeD
Profile Joined October 2010
Croatia1612 Posts
January 16 2014 17:06 GMT
#1117
On January 17 2014 02:02 Big J wrote:
I don't quite understand the discussions about smartcast, pathing and unit selection. Aren't those some of the main things that set Starbow apart from BW (and the SC2BW mod)?
I mean, sure Starbow can toy around with that kind of stuff. But wouldn't it be more interesting to balance Starbow around being Starbow, instead of just going back to BW whenever a problem (or some theoretical arguement why there could be a problem) occurs?

Edit: Not to get missinterpreted. If the question is only whether units should move a little more spread etc. I'm all for (at least discussing/testing) it. Just not the extreme let's-solve-it-with-BW approaches for things that may be solveable more comfortably.

Who said anything about BW? I couldnt care less about BW pathing. I just want units to be A BIT more spread out thats all.
sorry for dem one liners
Killcani
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden448 Posts
January 16 2014 17:07 GMT
#1118
On January 17 2014 02:02 Big J wrote:
I don't quite understand the discussions about smartcast, pathing and unit selection. Aren't those some of the main things that set Starbow apart from BW (and the SC2BW mod)?
I mean, sure Starbow can toy around with that kind of stuff. But wouldn't it be more interesting to balance Starbow around being Starbow, instead of just going back to BW whenever a problem (or some theoretical arguement why there could be a problem) occurs?

Edit: Not to get missinterpreted. If the question is only whether units should move a little more spread etc. I'm all for (at least discussing/testing) it. Just not the extreme let's-solve-it-with-BW approaches for things that may be solveable more comfortably.

I prefer powerful hard to cast spells than average everyone can spam it spells
TheBloodyDwarf
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
Finland7524 Posts
January 16 2014 17:08 GMT
#1119
On January 17 2014 01:51 Killcani wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 17 2014 01:45 TheBloodyDwarf wrote:
On January 17 2014 01:42 Killcani wrote:
I would be careful to take balance feedback from forums like these as most people posting have no clue what they are talking about. I just think you should strive to make this game more exciting(slower battles, more micro, reavers shots etc) and APM intensive(so better players can shine) as those were two areas that I felt sc2 really lacked in.

apm says who is better player. lol.

yes it does if the game requires a certain amount of apm to be played good.

Yes but what skill level are we talking? You said "so better players can shine"

Brains vs hands? Who you wanna win?
Brains for me ofc.
Fusilero: "I still can't believe he did that, like dude what the fuck there's fandom and then there's what he did like holy shit. I still see it when I close my eyes." <- reaction to the original drunk santa post which later caught on
Heartland
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Sweden24604 Posts
January 16 2014 17:09 GMT
#1120
On January 17 2014 02:07 Killcani wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 17 2014 02:02 Big J wrote:
I don't quite understand the discussions about smartcast, pathing and unit selection. Aren't those some of the main things that set Starbow apart from BW (and the SC2BW mod)?
I mean, sure Starbow can toy around with that kind of stuff. But wouldn't it be more interesting to balance Starbow around being Starbow, instead of just going back to BW whenever a problem (or some theoretical arguement why there could be a problem) occurs?

Edit: Not to get missinterpreted. If the question is only whether units should move a little more spread etc. I'm all for (at least discussing/testing) it. Just not the extreme let's-solve-it-with-BW approaches for things that may be solveable more comfortably.

I prefer powerful hard to cast spells than average everyone can spam it spells


Spells can be difficult to cast for different reasons though. Smartcast is just one thing. As Plansix brought up Vessels will be easier to cast with because they're flying, pretty fast, etc. Compare to an HT or similar which is a slow unit that you have to angle and control with more care.

Might be interesting to bring in all the extra abilities that Starbow has into this discussion, too.
Prev 1 54 55 56 57 58 346 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 42m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 117
SpeCial 75
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12228
Artosis 323
Bale 12
League of Legends
Doublelift3374
JimRising 486
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox279
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5287
Khaldor1117
Liquid`Hasu749
Other Games
summit1g7285
shahzam511
FrodaN145
ArmadaUGS77
NeuroSwarm69
Mew2King62
JuggernautJason49
ViBE41
PPMD8
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV217
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream61
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 35
• davetesta1
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 22
• blackmanpl 14
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie850
• Scarra426
• Shiphtur208
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 42m
Stellar Fest
14h 42m
OSC
23h 42m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 11h
Online Event
1d 12h
FEL
1d 17h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 18h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 20h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.