• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:23
CEST 16:23
KST 23:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)56Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9828 users

Four Minutes to Midnight - Page 9

Forum Index > SC2 General
296 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 15 Next All
andrewlt
Profile Joined August 2009
United States7702 Posts
November 28 2013 04:11 GMT
#161
On November 28 2013 11:58 Fanatic-Templar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 28 2013 05:31 NEEDZMOAR wrote:Sure koreans are more dominating than ever but at the same time the quality of the games and the playerskills are better than ever before.


sc2 is getting more and more beautiful for each week that goes by, and anyone whos actually a fan of the game would agree with this.


No it isn't. TvT has remained largely consistent, PvP is probably the best it's ever been and ZvZ is marginally improved by making Mutalisks viable, but still nowhere near as exciting as the pre-Roach ling-baneling dance that used to be standard in the matchup.

TvZ is nowhere near the legendary heights of the period where it was unquestionably the best matchup in StarCraft II, the entertainment value of PvT is directly related to whether or not the Protoss makes any Colossi, and on that front it will probably never be as good as the glorious days of San the Man's brief reign. And PvZ might be the best it's ever been... maybe... I mean, Colossi are less prominent than they used to be, but on the other hand now we've got Void Rays and Swarm Hosts...

So, no, the quality of the games are not better than ever before, "and anyone whos actually a fan of the game would agree with this."


SC2 is still not where BW was but you have to admit that HotS is a lot more skill based and a lot less luck based compared to WoL. It is more feasible to recover from build order disadvantages. It is more possible to beat higher supply or higher quality armies through micro. Foreigners are just unable to keep up.
AnachronisticAnarchy
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States2957 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-28 04:19:18
November 28 2013 04:18 GMT
#162
On November 28 2013 08:46 Valikyr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 28 2013 05:15 HeeroFX wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:11 emanresU wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:09 HeeroFX wrote:
well I wil probably stop watching SC 2 when Naniwa and Scarlett call it


Because no one watched Brood War right?



No i just don't have players I am interested in watching. I only care about events that have players I like to watch. That is resonable. I don't watch a TV show I don't like even if its suppose to be good.

So the only or number one criteria for you to like a player is: Not a Korean. ?
Seems borderline racist to me but hey the community sure aint gonna miss you when you're gone.

Not racist. It's the hometown hero phenomenon. A lot of fans out there (like me) are too bad at the game to see the skill difference between foreigners and Koreans unless they are actually facing each other. So, since we can't see the godlike skill of the Koreans like others, we rally behind certain players. Like most people, we have a particular love for hometown heroes and underdogs, which leaves us with less fondness for the Koreans (one can only be a passionate fan of so many people at once).

I find it odd that so many people in the thread don't recognize this. Stream viewership is considerably affected by foreigner presence so I would have thought there would be more people in that demographic posting here. Oh well.
"How are you?" "I am fine, because it is not normal to scream in pain."
Chaggi
Profile Joined August 2010
Korea (South)1936 Posts
November 28 2013 04:21 GMT
#163
On November 28 2013 13:18 AnachronisticAnarchy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 28 2013 08:46 Valikyr wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:15 HeeroFX wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:11 emanresU wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:09 HeeroFX wrote:
well I wil probably stop watching SC 2 when Naniwa and Scarlett call it


Because no one watched Brood War right?



No i just don't have players I am interested in watching. I only care about events that have players I like to watch. That is resonable. I don't watch a TV show I don't like even if its suppose to be good.

So the only or number one criteria for you to like a player is: Not a Korean. ?
Seems borderline racist to me but hey the community sure aint gonna miss you when you're gone.

Not racist. It's the hometown hero phenomenon. A lot of fans out there (like me) are too bad at the game to see the skill difference between foreigners and Koreans unless they are actually facing each other. So, since we can't see the godlike skill of the Koreans like others, we rally behind certain players. Like most people, we have a particular love for hometown heroes and underdogs, which leaves us with less fondness for the Koreans (one can only be a passionate fan of so many people at once).

I find it odd that so many people in the thread don't recognize this. Stream viewership is considerably affected by foreigner presence so I would have thought there would be more people in that demographic posting here. Oh well.


I don't agree with the last part as it stands. I dont' think stream viewership is considerably affected by simply just foreigner presence, but by the presence of a foreigner hope, those like Stephano, Scarlett, HuK, Idra, etc. I can't imagine (and I think the numbers for WCS 2012 back it up) that a foreigner only tournament would do well. You need to have really really strong foreigners that have a chance at beating top Koreans to get the high stream numbers.
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
November 28 2013 04:24 GMT
#164
On November 28 2013 13:02 for_the_swarm wrote:
i think the only way foreigners can win if the whole tournament is best of 3. Then all the foreigners have to do is successfully cheese once and outplay 1 game or cheese twice. In best of 5 or 7, the better player will almost always win, which will be the koreans.


So in other words, you believe in the GSL? hue hue hue. I'm still proposing an alternative. You know, so your boys don't blow it in 2/3 sets and find themselves back in Code A. Ideally the best out of the best for the whole year will actually be found this way (what do you know, the NASL first season was actually onto something except we're amplifying it to an actual League).
AnachronisticAnarchy
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States2957 Posts
November 28 2013 04:28 GMT
#165
On November 28 2013 13:21 Chaggi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 28 2013 13:18 AnachronisticAnarchy wrote:
On November 28 2013 08:46 Valikyr wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:15 HeeroFX wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:11 emanresU wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:09 HeeroFX wrote:
well I wil probably stop watching SC 2 when Naniwa and Scarlett call it


Because no one watched Brood War right?



No i just don't have players I am interested in watching. I only care about events that have players I like to watch. That is resonable. I don't watch a TV show I don't like even if its suppose to be good.

So the only or number one criteria for you to like a player is: Not a Korean. ?
Seems borderline racist to me but hey the community sure aint gonna miss you when you're gone.

Not racist. It's the hometown hero phenomenon. A lot of fans out there (like me) are too bad at the game to see the skill difference between foreigners and Koreans unless they are actually facing each other. So, since we can't see the godlike skill of the Koreans like others, we rally behind certain players. Like most people, we have a particular love for hometown heroes and underdogs, which leaves us with less fondness for the Koreans (one can only be a passionate fan of so many people at once).

I find it odd that so many people in the thread don't recognize this. Stream viewership is considerably affected by foreigner presence so I would have thought there would be more people in that demographic posting here. Oh well.


I don't agree with the last part as it stands. I dont' think stream viewership is considerably affected by simply just foreigner presence, but by the presence of a foreigner hope, those like Stephano, Scarlett, HuK, Idra, etc. I can't imagine (and I think the numbers for WCS 2012 back it up) that a foreigner only tournament would do well. You need to have really really strong foreigners that have a chance at beating top Koreans to get the high stream numbers.

I think there are a few more factors than just upset potential, which is why I didn't specify "foreign hope". For example, a lot of foreign players have tons of loyal fans who watch the stream specifically because they care about that player. That said, upset potential is indeed probably the biggest factor when it comes to the effect foreigners have on stream viewership.
"How are you?" "I am fine, because it is not normal to scream in pain."
BronzeKnee
Profile Joined March 2011
United States5226 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-28 04:57:48
November 28 2013 04:53 GMT
#166
You know, I am absolutely shocked that spreading Koreans around the world with WCS didn't work!

I mean, isn't it great practice to get stomped by Koreans in a couple of best of three matches every few months? How come that didn't work? I don't understand. Isn't that how other Korean players got good, by losing to better Koreans they played once every few months?

I can't believe Blizzard was wrong about this...
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33704 Posts
November 28 2013 05:15 GMT
#167
I'm more curious who the four riders of the Korean Apocalypse are
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
Chaggi
Profile Joined August 2010
Korea (South)1936 Posts
November 28 2013 05:20 GMT
#168
On November 28 2013 13:28 AnachronisticAnarchy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 28 2013 13:21 Chaggi wrote:
On November 28 2013 13:18 AnachronisticAnarchy wrote:
On November 28 2013 08:46 Valikyr wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:15 HeeroFX wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:11 emanresU wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:09 HeeroFX wrote:
well I wil probably stop watching SC 2 when Naniwa and Scarlett call it


Because no one watched Brood War right?



No i just don't have players I am interested in watching. I only care about events that have players I like to watch. That is resonable. I don't watch a TV show I don't like even if its suppose to be good.

So the only or number one criteria for you to like a player is: Not a Korean. ?
Seems borderline racist to me but hey the community sure aint gonna miss you when you're gone.

Not racist. It's the hometown hero phenomenon. A lot of fans out there (like me) are too bad at the game to see the skill difference between foreigners and Koreans unless they are actually facing each other. So, since we can't see the godlike skill of the Koreans like others, we rally behind certain players. Like most people, we have a particular love for hometown heroes and underdogs, which leaves us with less fondness for the Koreans (one can only be a passionate fan of so many people at once).

I find it odd that so many people in the thread don't recognize this. Stream viewership is considerably affected by foreigner presence so I would have thought there would be more people in that demographic posting here. Oh well.


I don't agree with the last part as it stands. I dont' think stream viewership is considerably affected by simply just foreigner presence, but by the presence of a foreigner hope, those like Stephano, Scarlett, HuK, Idra, etc. I can't imagine (and I think the numbers for WCS 2012 back it up) that a foreigner only tournament would do well. You need to have really really strong foreigners that have a chance at beating top Koreans to get the high stream numbers.

I think there are a few more factors than just upset potential, which is why I didn't specify "foreign hope". For example, a lot of foreign players have tons of loyal fans who watch the stream specifically because they care about that player. That said, upset potential is indeed probably the biggest factor when it comes to the effect foreigners have on stream viewership.


Most likely. I didn't get a chance to watch RedBull this last weekend, but I was watching I think Unfiltered, and they said how when it was sOs vs Scarlett, the viewership went up to like 60-70k, while for the finals, it was lower by a good amount. But honestly, if I substitute that from sOs vs... random foreign no name Zerg, it's not gonna get much viewership either. But you can say that about random Korean no name too I guess. I just don't think it's as cut and dry as foreigners = good viewership.
AlternativeEgo
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden17309 Posts
November 28 2013 05:21 GMT
#169
On November 28 2013 13:21 Chaggi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 28 2013 13:18 AnachronisticAnarchy wrote:
On November 28 2013 08:46 Valikyr wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:15 HeeroFX wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:11 emanresU wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:09 HeeroFX wrote:
well I wil probably stop watching SC 2 when Naniwa and Scarlett call it


Because no one watched Brood War right?



No i just don't have players I am interested in watching. I only care about events that have players I like to watch. That is resonable. I don't watch a TV show I don't like even if its suppose to be good.

So the only or number one criteria for you to like a player is: Not a Korean. ?
Seems borderline racist to me but hey the community sure aint gonna miss you when you're gone.

Not racist. It's the hometown hero phenomenon. A lot of fans out there (like me) are too bad at the game to see the skill difference between foreigners and Koreans unless they are actually facing each other. So, since we can't see the godlike skill of the Koreans like others, we rally behind certain players. Like most people, we have a particular love for hometown heroes and underdogs, which leaves us with less fondness for the Koreans (one can only be a passionate fan of so many people at once).

I find it odd that so many people in the thread don't recognize this. Stream viewership is considerably affected by foreigner presence so I would have thought there would be more people in that demographic posting here. Oh well.


I don't agree with the last part as it stands. I dont' think stream viewership is considerably affected by simply just foreigner presence, but by the presence of a foreigner hope, those like Stephano, Scarlett, HuK, Idra, etc. I can't imagine (and I think the numbers for WCS 2012 back it up) that a foreigner only tournament would do well. You need to have really really strong foreigners that have a chance at beating top Koreans to get the high stream numbers.


Over 100k watched the European finals.
Mark Munoz looks like Gretorp
stuchiu
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Fiddler's Green42661 Posts
November 28 2013 05:38 GMT
#170
Blysky falls. First blood has been taken by San.
Moderator
Cheren
Profile Blog Joined September 2013
United States2911 Posts
November 28 2013 05:52 GMT
#171
On November 28 2013 14:21 AlternativeEgo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 28 2013 13:21 Chaggi wrote:
On November 28 2013 13:18 AnachronisticAnarchy wrote:
On November 28 2013 08:46 Valikyr wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:15 HeeroFX wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:11 emanresU wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:09 HeeroFX wrote:
well I wil probably stop watching SC 2 when Naniwa and Scarlett call it


Because no one watched Brood War right?



No i just don't have players I am interested in watching. I only care about events that have players I like to watch. That is resonable. I don't watch a TV show I don't like even if its suppose to be good.

So the only or number one criteria for you to like a player is: Not a Korean. ?
Seems borderline racist to me but hey the community sure aint gonna miss you when you're gone.

Not racist. It's the hometown hero phenomenon. A lot of fans out there (like me) are too bad at the game to see the skill difference between foreigners and Koreans unless they are actually facing each other. So, since we can't see the godlike skill of the Koreans like others, we rally behind certain players. Like most people, we have a particular love for hometown heroes and underdogs, which leaves us with less fondness for the Koreans (one can only be a passionate fan of so many people at once).

I find it odd that so many people in the thread don't recognize this. Stream viewership is considerably affected by foreigner presence so I would have thought there would be more people in that demographic posting here. Oh well.


I don't agree with the last part as it stands. I dont' think stream viewership is considerably affected by simply just foreigner presence, but by the presence of a foreigner hope, those like Stephano, Scarlett, HuK, Idra, etc. I can't imagine (and I think the numbers for WCS 2012 back it up) that a foreigner only tournament would do well. You need to have really really strong foreigners that have a chance at beating top Koreans to get the high stream numbers.


Over 100k watched the European finals.


Anything will get more viewers during European prime time. I think people tend to overanalyze who's playing and not really pay attention to when in the day they're playing.
GulpyBlinkeyes
Profile Joined October 2009
United States1449 Posts
November 28 2013 06:16 GMT
#172
On November 28 2013 14:15 Waxangel wrote:
I'm more curious who the four riders of the Korean Apocalypse are


Who are the best players out there who are also unmistakably Korean? Guys who dominate but also haven't been adopted by other countries (Polt, MVP), play for foreign teams (Jaedong, Taeja), or got known for their interaction with the foreign community or foreign tournament play (MC, Bomber)?

Maybe Innovation, Soulkey, sOs, and Dear would be the four?
Highspeedfreak
Profile Joined October 2013
Sweden40 Posts
November 28 2013 06:17 GMT
#173
On November 28 2013 14:52 Cheren wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 28 2013 14:21 AlternativeEgo wrote:
On November 28 2013 13:21 Chaggi wrote:
On November 28 2013 13:18 AnachronisticAnarchy wrote:
On November 28 2013 08:46 Valikyr wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:15 HeeroFX wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:11 emanresU wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:09 HeeroFX wrote:
well I wil probably stop watching SC 2 when Naniwa and Scarlett call it


Because no one watched Brood War right?



No i just don't have players I am interested in watching. I only care about events that have players I like to watch. That is resonable. I don't watch a TV show I don't like even if its suppose to be good.

So the only or number one criteria for you to like a player is: Not a Korean. ?
Seems borderline racist to me but hey the community sure aint gonna miss you when you're gone.

Not racist. It's the hometown hero phenomenon. A lot of fans out there (like me) are too bad at the game to see the skill difference between foreigners and Koreans unless they are actually facing each other. So, since we can't see the godlike skill of the Koreans like others, we rally behind certain players. Like most people, we have a particular love for hometown heroes and underdogs, which leaves us with less fondness for the Koreans (one can only be a passionate fan of so many people at once).

I find it odd that so many people in the thread don't recognize this. Stream viewership is considerably affected by foreigner presence so I would have thought there would be more people in that demographic posting here. Oh well.


I don't agree with the last part as it stands. I dont' think stream viewership is considerably affected by simply just foreigner presence, but by the presence of a foreigner hope, those like Stephano, Scarlett, HuK, Idra, etc. I can't imagine (and I think the numbers for WCS 2012 back it up) that a foreigner only tournament would do well. You need to have really really strong foreigners that have a chance at beating top Koreans to get the high stream numbers.


Over 100k watched the European finals.


Anything will get more viewers during European prime time. I think people tend to overanalyze who's playing and not really pay attention to when in the day they're playing.

Agree
"Lets be honest. Cannons make you a better gamer." -Day[9]
Fanatic-Templar
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada5819 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-28 06:46:27
November 28 2013 06:44 GMT
#174
On November 28 2013 13:11 andrewlt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 28 2013 11:58 Fanatic-Templar wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:31 NEEDZMOAR wrote:Sure koreans are more dominating than ever but at the same time the quality of the games and the playerskills are better than ever before.


sc2 is getting more and more beautiful for each week that goes by, and anyone whos actually a fan of the game would agree with this.


No it isn't. TvT has remained largely consistent, PvP is probably the best it's ever been and ZvZ is marginally improved by making Mutalisks viable, but still nowhere near as exciting as the pre-Roach ling-baneling dance that used to be standard in the matchup.

TvZ is nowhere near the legendary heights of the period where it was unquestionably the best matchup in StarCraft II, the entertainment value of PvT is directly related to whether or not the Protoss makes any Colossi, and on that front it will probably never be as good as the glorious days of San the Man's brief reign. And PvZ might be the best it's ever been... maybe... I mean, Colossi are less prominent than they used to be, but on the other hand now we've got Void Rays and Swarm Hosts...

So, no, the quality of the games are not better than ever before, "and anyone whos actually a fan of the game would agree with this."


SC2 is still not where BW was but you have to admit that HotS is a lot more skill based and a lot less luck based compared to WoL. It is more feasible to recover from build order disadvantages. It is more possible to beat higher supply or higher quality armies through micro. Foreigners are just unable to keep up.


Could you give some specifics regarding this? I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make.

On November 28 2013 15:16 GulpyBlinkeyes wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 28 2013 14:15 Waxangel wrote:
I'm more curious who the four riders of the Korean Apocalypse are


Who are the best players out there who are also unmistakably Korean? Guys who dominate but also haven't been adopted by other countries (Polt, MVP), play for foreign teams (Jaedong, Taeja), or got known for their interaction with the foreign community or foreign tournament play (MC, Bomber)?

Maybe Innovation, Soulkey, sOs, and Dear would be the four?


Wasn't Innovation adopted by a foreign team?
I bear this sig to commemorate the loss of the team icon that commemorated Oversky's 2008-2009 Proleague Round 1 performance.
slowbacontron
Profile Joined October 2012
United States7722 Posts
November 28 2013 06:59 GMT
#175
ForGGeddon and aPoltcalypse, never forget
jjakji fan
LockeTazeline
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
2390 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-28 08:16:41
November 28 2013 08:16 GMT
#176
Thoughts:

DreamHack Winter: ~1%. No way. Stacked to the top and overflowing.

IEM Singapore: ~10%. Long shot, but not implausible with Scarlett attending. Most of the Koreans there aren't top tier, but only 4 foreigners have qualified to challenge them. Unfortunately, Scarlett got placed in the hardest group with Bomber and herO

WCG: ~5%. Doubtful. Prospects look good with only 3 Koreans and some strong players such as Jim, Macsed, and Sen, but PartinG and Soulkey are 2 of the most solid of the top pros; it's difficult to imagine both of them losing a bo5 to a foreigner.

ASUS ROG: ~10%. Unlikely, but conceivable. It has a strong foreigner density compared to IEM/Dreamahck, many of whom are in the upper echelon of non-Koreans. If Naniwa hadn't canceled, I'd have put it up to maybe almost 20%, but as is, Scarlett and co. will have to deal with a quite scary list of Korean names without him.
GulpyBlinkeyes
Profile Joined October 2009
United States1449 Posts
November 28 2013 09:08 GMT
#177
On November 28 2013 15:44 Fanatic-Templar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 28 2013 13:11 andrewlt wrote:
On November 28 2013 11:58 Fanatic-Templar wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:31 NEEDZMOAR wrote:Sure koreans are more dominating than ever but at the same time the quality of the games and the playerskills are better than ever before.


sc2 is getting more and more beautiful for each week that goes by, and anyone whos actually a fan of the game would agree with this.


No it isn't. TvT has remained largely consistent, PvP is probably the best it's ever been and ZvZ is marginally improved by making Mutalisks viable, but still nowhere near as exciting as the pre-Roach ling-baneling dance that used to be standard in the matchup.

TvZ is nowhere near the legendary heights of the period where it was unquestionably the best matchup in StarCraft II, the entertainment value of PvT is directly related to whether or not the Protoss makes any Colossi, and on that front it will probably never be as good as the glorious days of San the Man's brief reign. And PvZ might be the best it's ever been... maybe... I mean, Colossi are less prominent than they used to be, but on the other hand now we've got Void Rays and Swarm Hosts...

So, no, the quality of the games are not better than ever before, "and anyone whos actually a fan of the game would agree with this."


SC2 is still not where BW was but you have to admit that HotS is a lot more skill based and a lot less luck based compared to WoL. It is more feasible to recover from build order disadvantages. It is more possible to beat higher supply or higher quality armies through micro. Foreigners are just unable to keep up.


Could you give some specifics regarding this? I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make.

Show nested quote +
On November 28 2013 15:16 GulpyBlinkeyes wrote:
On November 28 2013 14:15 Waxangel wrote:
I'm more curious who the four riders of the Korean Apocalypse are


Who are the best players out there who are also unmistakably Korean? Guys who dominate but also haven't been adopted by other countries (Polt, MVP), play for foreign teams (Jaedong, Taeja), or got known for their interaction with the foreign community or foreign tournament play (MC, Bomber)?

Maybe Innovation, Soulkey, sOs, and Dear would be the four?


Wasn't Innovation adopted by a foreign team?


Oh right! Derp. Not sure why I forgot... I guess my brain is just stuck in the past thinking of him as a Kespa guy.
JustPassingBy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
10776 Posts
November 28 2013 10:01 GMT
#178
On November 28 2013 11:58 Fanatic-Templar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 28 2013 05:31 NEEDZMOAR wrote:Sure koreans are more dominating than ever but at the same time the quality of the games and the playerskills are better than ever before.


sc2 is getting more and more beautiful for each week that goes by, and anyone whos actually a fan of the game would agree with this.


No it isn't. TvT has remained largely consistent, PvP is probably the best it's ever been and ZvZ is marginally improved by making Mutalisks viable, but still nowhere near as exciting as the pre-Roach ling-baneling dance that used to be standard in the matchup.

TvZ is nowhere near the legendary heights of the period where it was unquestionably the best matchup in StarCraft II, the entertainment value of PvT is directly related to whether or not the Protoss makes any Colossi, and on that front it will probably never be as good as the glorious days of San the Man's brief reign. And PvZ might be the best it's ever been... maybe... I mean, Colossi are less prominent than they used to be, but on the other hand now we've got Void Rays and Swarm Hosts...

So, no, the quality of the games are not better than ever before, "and anyone whos actually a fan of the game would agree with this."


Omfg, I don't miss the ling-baneling dance one bit, that shit was not good for my heart...

Anyways, I would love to see a foreigner take a tournament again, but seriously, I don't see it happen anytime soon. The foreign teams are just not setting the course necessary.
boxerfred
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Germany8360 Posts
November 28 2013 10:06 GMT
#179
What happened to IEM winner (LG)IM_Yoda, btw? Never got to hear anything from him ever again.
JustPassingBy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
10776 Posts
November 28 2013 10:06 GMT
#180
On November 28 2013 14:52 Cheren wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 28 2013 14:21 AlternativeEgo wrote:
On November 28 2013 13:21 Chaggi wrote:
On November 28 2013 13:18 AnachronisticAnarchy wrote:
On November 28 2013 08:46 Valikyr wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:15 HeeroFX wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:11 emanresU wrote:
On November 28 2013 05:09 HeeroFX wrote:
well I wil probably stop watching SC 2 when Naniwa and Scarlett call it


Because no one watched Brood War right?



No i just don't have players I am interested in watching. I only care about events that have players I like to watch. That is resonable. I don't watch a TV show I don't like even if its suppose to be good.

So the only or number one criteria for you to like a player is: Not a Korean. ?
Seems borderline racist to me but hey the community sure aint gonna miss you when you're gone.

Not racist. It's the hometown hero phenomenon. A lot of fans out there (like me) are too bad at the game to see the skill difference between foreigners and Koreans unless they are actually facing each other. So, since we can't see the godlike skill of the Koreans like others, we rally behind certain players. Like most people, we have a particular love for hometown heroes and underdogs, which leaves us with less fondness for the Koreans (one can only be a passionate fan of so many people at once).

I find it odd that so many people in the thread don't recognize this. Stream viewership is considerably affected by foreigner presence so I would have thought there would be more people in that demographic posting here. Oh well.


I don't agree with the last part as it stands. I dont' think stream viewership is considerably affected by simply just foreigner presence, but by the presence of a foreigner hope, those like Stephano, Scarlett, HuK, Idra, etc. I can't imagine (and I think the numbers for WCS 2012 back it up) that a foreigner only tournament would do well. You need to have really really strong foreigners that have a chance at beating top Koreans to get the high stream numbers.


Over 100k watched the European finals.


Anything will get more viewers during European prime time. I think people tend to overanalyze who's playing and not really pay attention to when in the day they're playing.


I've been wondering, why is that the case? I mean, a time unwatchable for the Europeans means that it is somewhat watchable in both Nord and South America, Australia and East Asia. Shouldn't streams like the ESL currently get massive viewers from Korea at the moment or do they have a hidden Korean stream unbeknown to the rest of the world?
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 912
ComeBackTV 592
SteadfastSC462
TaKeTV 336
Rex158
IndyStarCraft 102
EnkiAlexander 49
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 462
Rex 158
ProTech128
IndyStarCraft 102
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 48978
Bisu 2025
Horang2 1342
EffOrt 1106
Soma 646
Mini 580
Hyuk 561
BeSt 473
Light 435
Larva 383
[ Show more ]
Rush 256
ZerO 227
Mong 91
910 82
Leta 74
Pusan 52
Snow 51
ToSsGirL 44
firebathero 42
Mind 34
Sexy 34
JYJ 32
Aegong 29
Bale 23
Terrorterran 20
Trap 16
Rock 14
Noble 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Sacsri 10
Dota 2
Gorgc7184
qojqva526
Counter-Strike
Fnx 761
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1473
Khaldor1093
Lowko482
Other Games
singsing2056
olofmeister1379
hiko1303
Beastyqt638
B2W.Neo420
Livibee197
Hui .179
XaKoH 158
Liquid`VortiX145
ArmadaUGS111
djWHEAT86
Mew2King72
KnowMe64
QueenE54
ZerO(Twitch)10
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV202
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream83
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 12
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile110
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 36
• FirePhoenix11
• Michael_bg 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2753
Other Games
• Shiphtur70
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 37m
CranKy Ducklings
19h 37m
Online Event
20h 37m
FEL
1d 1h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 2h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 4h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 19h
INu's Battles
1d 21h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.