• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:35
CEST 00:35
KST 07:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8411 users

Depth of Micro - Page 46

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 44 45 46 47 48 61 Next
jotmang
Profile Joined October 2013
Korea (South)16 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-09 16:21:15
November 09 2013 16:19 GMT
#901
I and many koreans gave up on SC2 a looooooooong time ago. There's a reason why koreans call it the jotmang game.

I only come to TL once in a while to see if the 4 magic words has been posted.

"DK has been FIRED!!!"

You can cry and whine and debate about balance and design and what have you until the cows come home, but until those 4 words are uttered, there's no hope for this game.

User was warned for this post
jotmang game is jotmang
JieXian
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Malaysia4677 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-09 16:25:14
November 09 2013 16:22 GMT
#902
On November 09 2013 10:21 Wombat_NI wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2013 10:04 CutTheEnemy wrote:
We're gonna have to rely on day9's game now to save the rts genre

Why do people post stuff about the guy who has never exactly been vocal about fixing SC2's flaws from a position of actual influence?


I've just realised what you mentioned about Day9.... and I can't help but to be disappointed. Up until today I've really looked up on Day9 for what he's done and acheived.

Someone from a position of actual influence with Day9 should talk to him so he can be a hero in my books again
Please send me a PM of any song you like that I most probably never heard of! I am looking for people to chat about writing and producing music | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noD-bsOcxuU |
TaShadan
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany1982 Posts
November 09 2013 16:33 GMT
#903
On November 10 2013 01:22 JieXian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2013 10:21 Wombat_NI wrote:
On November 09 2013 10:04 CutTheEnemy wrote:
We're gonna have to rely on day9's game now to save the rts genre

Why do people post stuff about the guy who has never exactly been vocal about fixing SC2's flaws from a position of actual influence?


I've just realised what you mentioned about Day9.... and I can't help but to be disappointed. Up until today I've really looked up on Day9 for what he's done and acheived.

Someone from a position of actual influence with Day9 should talk to him so he can be a hero in my books again


Why? I think its great that Day9 works on a rts game. SC2 will most likely never change.
Total Annihilation Zero
Falling
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada11607 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-09 16:48:36
November 09 2013 16:48 GMT
#904
Well. That is a very frustrating response from David Kim and demonstrably and entirely untrue. It took me a long time to understand how the chinese triangle worked with mutalisk micro and to this day I still can't execute it properly. However. That didn't stop me from being awed the first time I saw pro's pick off scourge after scourge rather than seeing scourge immediately explode into the mutalisks.

Knowing the mechanics of how the micro operates is entirely unnecessary to enjoy this sort of micro because it inherently visual. That's all it is. There is no hidden micro- the unit moves back and forth, no tricky spells, behind the scene buffs, etc. Just moving in and out, moving at top speed and picking off targets.

All you need to know how the unit normally operates when just clicked into battle with normal good positioning and spread and then you see moving shot micro. And you are like, what the heck? How did they even do that. I know those units normally operate and this is sooooo crazy. That's exciting. That's cool. And that's just as much for casuals as for pros.

We also have casters who can explain how the micro works. And it is exactly the sort of micro that makes a casual want to go out and try it out.
ModeratorWake me up when Trump's term is finished. Slava Ukraini.
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-09 18:13:24
November 09 2013 18:12 GMT
#905
So does anyone think that David Kim actually watched the video and took it serious enough to explore Lalush's theories with the editor and such? And does anyone think that David Kim could explain the exact functionality of at least a majority of the brood war micro tricks?

I have no idea, literally. David Kim is such a difficult person to read, I can never tell if he actually means what he's saying and how much he knows about the game, or what he even does for his job. I mean, could anyone in the SC2 community tell if he had only been spending 10 hours a week on the multiplayer?
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
November 09 2013 19:45 GMT
#906
On November 10 2013 03:12 Grumbels wrote:
So does anyone think that David Kim actually watched the video and took it serious enough to explore Lalush's theories with the editor and such? And does anyone think that David Kim could explain the exact functionality of at least a majority of the brood war micro tricks?

I have no idea, literally. David Kim is such a difficult person to read, I can never tell if he actually means what he's saying and how much he knows about the game, or what he even does for his job. I mean, could anyone in the SC2 community tell if he had only been spending 10 hours a week on the multiplayer?


I think it's much more difficult to get product managers out of the pure statistics driven analysis they are prone to and things like how "fun" something looks is not as important to them as what systems are currently present in other successful games right now (not successful games ten years ago)

And so I think David Kim was unable to get it through to them with their responses being akin to "our survey suggests otherwise."
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
Elldar
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden287 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-09 20:36:27
November 09 2013 20:36 GMT
#907
On November 10 2013 00:25 TaShadan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2013 23:21 Elldar wrote:
On November 09 2013 23:12 TaShadan wrote:
On November 09 2013 22:56 Taguchi wrote:
On November 09 2013 22:07 TheBloodyDwarf wrote:
Well, for me that looked horrible. Unit turns faster than light lol?


yes, an aircraft stopping midair, gazing at its target for a while, then shooting looks very normal and natural for the casual viewer, or hell, anyone at all /facepalm

not to mention, in the hots cinematic playing during blizzcon the tank had a fucking tracking turret

so sad


Never seen an F-16 doing that in battle? Its kinda commen in reality. Real tanks dont need to turn the turret aswell. They can turn the whole tank super fast!

+ Show Spoiler +
Oh wait... NOT

In SC2 the tank can't rotate its turret, and I can't see how a F-16 can stop dead in a single spot rotate to aim and shoot. All aerodynamic would tell you that it would drop in altitude within seconds. Being realistic is not the fun-factor unless you play a simulator game.


Oh really? Did you check the spoiler? :p


That spoiler TT
JieXian
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Malaysia4677 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-10 02:36:54
November 10 2013 02:36 GMT
#908
On November 10 2013 01:33 TaShadan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2013 01:22 JieXian wrote:
On November 09 2013 10:21 Wombat_NI wrote:
On November 09 2013 10:04 CutTheEnemy wrote:
We're gonna have to rely on day9's game now to save the rts genre

Why do people post stuff about the guy who has never exactly been vocal about fixing SC2's flaws from a position of actual influence?


I've just realised what you mentioned about Day9.... and I can't help but to be disappointed. Up until today I've really looked up on Day9 for what he's done and acheived.

Someone from a position of actual influence with Day9 should talk to him so he can be a hero in my books again


Why? I think its great that Day9 works on a rts game. SC2 will most likely never change.


Well working on another rts game is like giving up hope on SC2 or ignoring it. It's kinda like running away from your country instead of leading a revolution. (Yes I know I'm exaggerating here). He is in the perfect positon to explain to "casual viewers that can't understand that type of micro".

On November 10 2013 01:48 Falling wrote:
Well. That is a very frustrating response from David Kim and demonstrably and entirely untrue. It took me a long time to understand how the chinese triangle worked with mutalisk micro and to this day I still can't execute it properly. However. That didn't stop me from being awed the first time I saw pro's pick off scourge after scourge rather than seeing scourge immediately explode into the mutalisks.

Knowing the mechanics of how the micro operates is entirely unnecessary to enjoy this sort of micro because it inherently visual. That's all it is. There is no hidden micro- the unit moves back and forth, no tricky spells, behind the scene buffs, etc. Just moving in and out, moving at top speed and picking off targets.

All you need to know how the unit normally operates when just clicked into battle with normal good positioning and spread and then you see moving shot micro. And you are like, what the heck? How did they even do that. I know those units normally operate and this is sooooo crazy. That's exciting. That's cool. And that's just as much for casuals as for pros.

We also have casters who can explain how the micro works. And it is exactly the sort of micro that makes a casual want to go out and try it out.


I find it very difficult to believe that someone that played on a WCG USA level doesn't feel the shortcomings of the game. I feel uncomfortable accusing him of this since I don't know him but it seems like he's taken the "politician route" of try to appeal to the majority for his benefit (which I would have absolutely nothing against were these problems absent in SC2 because I think he deserves all the popularity he gets). Of course I'm not expecting him to go to the extreme and hate on or start cursing SC2 because it would be stupid thing to do to his SC2 fans but something would be nice.

I apologise if I've missed out on things that he might have done.

Please send me a PM of any song you like that I most probably never heard of! I am looking for people to chat about writing and producing music | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noD-bsOcxuU |
NKexquisite
Profile Joined January 2009
United States911 Posts
November 10 2013 03:49 GMT
#909
This video just makes me sad. I almost wish I hadn't watched it.
Whattttt Upppppppp Im Nesteaaaaaa!!
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
November 10 2013 04:21 GMT
#910
Basically, SC2 will never change and remain the way it is. That's it, I'm done with the game, fuck me I've spent the last 3 years thinking that SC2 will eventually turn the ship around and have been optimistically awaiting for LotV for them to bust them out. I don't want to say those words but the only reason why SC2 is around is because of Blizzard's funding. BW is a self-sustaining organism. Blizzard, why so stubborn? Why not learn anything? Its because they teamed up with Activision. Lazy but profitable is their motto. Quit thinking that casuals are retarded kids insulting each other via CoD. We are better than that. As a whole community, we have a lot of smart individuals, you can't fool us.
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
purakushi
Profile Joined August 2012
United States3304 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-10 04:52:26
November 10 2013 04:52 GMT
#911
On November 10 2013 01:19 jotmang wrote:
I and many koreans gave up on SC2 a looooooooong time ago. There's a reason why koreans call it the jotmang game.
User was warned for this post


What does jotmang translate to? o.o
T P Z sagi
hansonslee
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States2027 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-10 04:59:52
November 10 2013 04:59 GMT
#912
Does people like cloaken and DK know why people were amazed with MarineKing? It's because of his marine control! If there was more micro with the units, then all kinds of people can appreciate it!

The reason why people watch games is not because of how well they "understand it". It is because people are mystified by how "unreal" the games can be.

Adding micro can definitely add more flavor to the game. I think Blizzard is more worried about upsetting the balance than making the game more interesting.

I just wish Blizzard would stop thinking that they know the game more than we do...
Seed's # 1 fan!!! #ForVengeance
flashimba
Profile Joined May 2011
225 Posts
November 10 2013 05:24 GMT
#913
After 46 pages, the thing to take away is: if you want Brood War, then watch Brood War.

There is nothing more to read. It will all be David Kim bashing.
GhoSt[shield]
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada2131 Posts
November 10 2013 05:29 GMT
#914
On November 10 2013 13:52 purakushi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2013 01:19 jotmang wrote:
I and many koreans gave up on SC2 a looooooooong time ago. There's a reason why koreans call it the jotmang game.
User was warned for this post


What does jotmang translate to? o.o


I looked up some Korean swear words after seeing that the word "jotmang"
Seems the phonetic "Jot" or "Joht" means dick in Korean. no idea what "Mang" means. Hope that helps a bit.

Yahoo Asnwers Korea Cuss Words
purakushi
Profile Joined August 2012
United States3304 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-10 06:03:52
November 10 2013 05:56 GMT
#915
On November 10 2013 14:29 GhoSt[shield] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2013 13:52 purakushi wrote:
On November 10 2013 01:19 jotmang wrote:
I and many koreans gave up on SC2 a looooooooong time ago. There's a reason why koreans call it the jotmang game.
User was warned for this post


What does jotmang translate to? o.o


I looked up some Korean swear words after seeing that the word "jotmang"
Seems the phonetic "Jot" or "Joht" means dick in Korean. no idea what "Mang" means. Hope that helps a bit.

Yahoo Asnwers Korea Cuss Words


Thanks for the response. Using your answer, I found
http://mirror.enha.kr/wiki/좆망
Google Translate gives a very rough description. From what I gather, it means "dick-doomed" or just "epic fail".

lol
T P Z sagi
MarlieChurphy
Profile Blog Joined January 2013
United States2065 Posts
November 10 2013 07:00 GMT
#916
Imho, I think DK and Cloaken's responses are pretty obvious and expected. Not only if they could have full reign to change things and wanted to, they would have to assemble a team to work on it or do it on the side with blizzards approval, which they probably would have trouble justifying for cost/resource/time when they could be working on the next project(s).

And then there is a whole host of other factors that probably go into things like this, alpha maybe beta testing internally.

I mean I really really doubt the reasons given were sincere. They were just given in order to seem neutral as possible as they can't/won't do anything because it will cost too much and it's too late.
RIP SPOR 11/24/11 NEVAR FORGET
Elldar
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden287 Posts
November 10 2013 10:02 GMT
#917
On November 10 2013 14:24 flashimba wrote:
After 46 pages, the thing to take away is: if you want Brood War, then watch Brood War.

There is nothing more to read. It will all be David Kim bashing.


If it is anything you should take away after 46 pages is that blizzard could change certain numbers in their code which improve the gameplay and that dk does not understand this.
Quixotic_tv
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Germany130 Posts
November 10 2013 10:40 GMT
#918
On November 10 2013 19:02 Elldar wrote:
If it is anything you should take away after 46 pages is that blizzard could change certain numbers in their code which improve the gameplay and that dk does not understand this.


Classic. "I know what has to be changed to make SC2's popularity shoot through the roof.", lol

This so-called well written OP really says that that Blizzard has to throw their game completely over. It is not at all likely that those "proposals" can be implemented with the editor blizzard uses.

Sorry, dear people, but since reading all of this whining, written by crackpots, wannabe game designers, pathological nostalgics, and shit storm addicts, I lost all respect to people who say that even one thing has to be changed in SC2.

To Day9: He says he likes Frisbee over Baseball. Yeah. Um. The Major League Frisbee is so popular, more than MLB. Second, a guy that says he does not like the game should not be invited to the biggest SC2 event of the year.

The problem is not an amount of wrongly set "certain numbers in their code". What is wrong with SC2 is a small, but very loud part of the community, people who in truth have NO intent to make anything better, but only to show off how much smarter they are than David Kim. Oh yes, David Kim, he is not to envy.

The sad part is that the rare cases of constructive criticism completely get lost besides those threads.


Lastly:

BREAKING NEWS!!! BW IS STILL PLAYABLE.

Go install it and play it, but please shut up about SC2. NO ONE wants to know your opinion, except yourself.

I hope TL will undertake the next step and either ban all SC2 whiners or make a special forum for them, moving all threads about how "bad" and "flawed" SC2 is there. I would call it the cesspool.
Life always finds a way.
Sapphire.lux
Profile Joined July 2010
Romania2620 Posts
November 10 2013 10:44 GMT
#919
On November 10 2013 19:40 papalion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2013 19:02 Elldar wrote:
If it is anything you should take away after 46 pages is that blizzard could change certain numbers in their code which improve the gameplay and that dk does not understand this.


Lastly:

BREAKING NEWS!!! BW IS STILL PLAYABLE.


The newer ATI drivers make BW unplayable actually

Unless ati or Blizzard do something about it, converting SC2 into BW is really the only solution left.
Head Coach Park: "They should buff tanks!"
Zodijackyl
Profile Joined October 2013
United States15 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-10 10:56:21
November 10 2013 10:55 GMT
#920
On November 10 2013 19:44 Sapphire.lux wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2013 19:40 papalion wrote:
On November 10 2013 19:02 Elldar wrote:
If it is anything you should take away after 46 pages is that blizzard could change certain numbers in their code which improve the gameplay and that dk does not understand this.


Lastly:

BREAKING NEWS!!! BW IS STILL PLAYABLE.


The newer ATI drivers make BW unplayable actually

Unless ati or Blizzard do something about it, converting SC2 into BW is really the only solution left.


Owned. No but really. BW was amazing and fun because of what was highlighted in depth of micro.
Prev 1 44 45 46 47 48 61 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 25m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 186
Nina 124
SteadfastSC 65
CosmosSc2 18
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 464
910 59
Bale 12
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm3
League of Legends
Doublelift1074
Super Smash Bros
PPMD56
Other Games
summit1g9151
Grubby2819
shahzam592
C9.Mang0241
PiGStarcraft214
Maynarde30
Liquid`Ken11
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 101
• musti20045 43
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21448
Other Games
• imaqtpie937
• Shiphtur297
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
25m
Afreeca Starleague
11h 25m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
12h 25m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 1h
Patches Events
1d 17h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.