• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:34
CEST 10:34
KST 17:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9002 users

StarCraft 2: What's The Problem - Page 86

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 84 85 86 87 88 103 Next
Aiobhill
Profile Joined June 2013
Germany283 Posts
October 15 2013 06:33 GMT
#1701
On October 15 2013 14:19 flashimba wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 10:37 imBLIND wrote:
Magic boxing was also the reason why ground units clumped up and did stupid shit. It was an unintended glitch of the engine that created a limiting factor on how big of an army you're allowed to have; if you didn't micro all your control groups properly, your army wouldn't be any stronger than a well micro'd force smaller than yours.

Seeing pros move a giant army doesn't make you look in awe in SC2; what I see is "pfft I can do that too." And then people say "oh he's got a bunch of units," and everyone I know goes "he just does it 10 seconds quicker." Now I'm not inferring that there is no skill involved in SC2; what I'm saying is that there is no note-worthy skill in SC2 that is worth watching.


What about larva inject, creep spread, chronoboost?

Nothing like watching a good pro juggle these while pumping out a gazillion units.


This - I'm afraid - is the heart of the problem of SC2 as an e-sport. How many current SC2 viewers, current viewers of other e-sports and not-yet e-sports consumers really wanna watch for hours a game where building worker units marginally quicker often decides the match?

Many times we have or had "top 10 moments" videos after tournaments. These strangely showed fighting unproportionally more often than creepspreading, muledropping or chronoboosting. Wierd isn't it?
Axslav - apm70maphacks - tak3r
KeksX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany3634 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-15 07:07:54
October 15 2013 07:04 GMT
#1702
On October 15 2013 02:07 a176 wrote:
When was the last time a player switched to SC2?

SelecT!


On October 15 2013 15:33 Aiobhill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 14:19 flashimba wrote:
On October 15 2013 10:37 imBLIND wrote:
Magic boxing was also the reason why ground units clumped up and did stupid shit. It was an unintended glitch of the engine that created a limiting factor on how big of an army you're allowed to have; if you didn't micro all your control groups properly, your army wouldn't be any stronger than a well micro'd force smaller than yours.

Seeing pros move a giant army doesn't make you look in awe in SC2; what I see is "pfft I can do that too." And then people say "oh he's got a bunch of units," and everyone I know goes "he just does it 10 seconds quicker." Now I'm not inferring that there is no skill involved in SC2; what I'm saying is that there is no note-worthy skill in SC2 that is worth watching.


What about larva inject, creep spread, chronoboost?

Nothing like watching a good pro juggle these while pumping out a gazillion units.


This - I'm afraid - is the heart of the problem of SC2 as an e-sport. How many current SC2 viewers, current viewers of other e-sports and not-yet e-sports consumers really wanna watch for hours a game where building worker units marginally quicker often decides the match?

Many times we have or had "top 10 moments" videos after tournaments. These strangely showed fighting unproportionally more often than creepspreading, muledropping or chronoboosting. Wierd isn't it?


Apparently almost 100k for IEM NY, 100k+ for WCS EU and thousands of other for other tournaments.


I can only repeat myself so many times:
Stop making up stuff.

"There's no micro in SC2"
"Nobody wants to watch this"
What is this, 2009?!


You guys have to stick your heads out of your arse. If SC2 really was only about "making workers slightly faster" then we wouldn't have consistent winners, and as countless posts already pointed out, we do in fact have consistent winners! We also have consistent losers, and we also have former winners that are now losers (and thus leavers).

There ARE comebacks(we had a few this weekend at IEM NY). We HAVE micro. We HAVE skill in SC2.

It's different from BW, it's different from, it's different from DotA2 and might not attract 300k viewers.
But thats still OKAY.

BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-15 07:07:01
October 15 2013 07:05 GMT
#1703
On October 15 2013 14:51 Xiphos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 14:34 BigFan wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:19 flashimba wrote:
On October 15 2013 10:37 imBLIND wrote:
Magic boxing was also the reason why ground units clumped up and did stupid shit. It was an unintended glitch of the engine that created a limiting factor on how big of an army you're allowed to have; if you didn't micro all your control groups properly, your army wouldn't be any stronger than a well micro'd force smaller than yours.

Seeing pros move a giant army doesn't make you look in awe in SC2; what I see is "pfft I can do that too." And then people say "oh he's got a bunch of units," and everyone I know goes "he just does it 10 seconds quicker." Now I'm not inferring that there is no skill involved in SC2; what I'm saying is that there is no note-worthy skill in SC2 that is worth watching.


What about larva inject, creep spread, chronoboost?

Nothing like watching a good pro juggle these while pumping out a gazillion units.

Xiphos is right. Once you get to late game with 5-6 bases and multiple inbase hatcheries, imagine having to go to each base and manually click on the hatchery then select the larvae and make units from it. Larva inject in a way simplifies the macro since even though you have to remember to inject larva, you get 7 larvae so that's 4 more larva than usual. With 3 bases, instead of 9 larva, you have 21 larva which is equivalent to 7 hatcheries lol. This doesn't include any inbase hatchery or more bases XD Creep spread adds to APM activity but I think someone mentioned its about 17 or so at best. Chronoboost can create some interesting timings but it's not a must aside from making probes out faster(and upgrades too for a timing attack). You can chronoboost from the minimap, same with larva inject which is what I used to do


As an addendum, I've wrote a piece on SC2 vs BW zerg mechanics comparison here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=370433

interesting. Still have to wonder why they banned you though? XD

On October 15 2013 16:04 KeksX wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 02:07 a176 wrote:
When was the last time a player switched to SC2?

SelecT!


Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 15:33 Aiobhill wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:19 flashimba wrote:
On October 15 2013 10:37 imBLIND wrote:
Magic boxing was also the reason why ground units clumped up and did stupid shit. It was an unintended glitch of the engine that created a limiting factor on how big of an army you're allowed to have; if you didn't micro all your control groups properly, your army wouldn't be any stronger than a well micro'd force smaller than yours.

Seeing pros move a giant army doesn't make you look in awe in SC2; what I see is "pfft I can do that too." And then people say "oh he's got a bunch of units," and everyone I know goes "he just does it 10 seconds quicker." Now I'm not inferring that there is no skill involved in SC2; what I'm saying is that there is no note-worthy skill in SC2 that is worth watching.


What about larva inject, creep spread, chronoboost?

Nothing like watching a good pro juggle these while pumping out a gazillion units.


This - I'm afraid - is the heart of the problem of SC2 as an e-sport. How many current SC2 viewers, current viewers of other e-sports and not-yet e-sports consumers really wanna watch for hours a game where building worker units marginally quicker often decides the match?

Many times we have or had "top 10 moments" videos after tournaments. These strangely showed fighting unproportionally more often than creepspreading, muledropping or chronoboosting. Wierd isn't it?


Apparently almost 100k for IEM NY, 100k+ for WCS EU and thousands of other for other tournaments.


I can only repeat myself so many times:
Stop making up stuff.

"There's no micro in SC2"
"Nobody wants to watch this"

What is this, 2009?!

Select came back to SCII after his move to LoL(or was it dota?) was unsuccessful so he doesn't qualify lol. As for the second comment, I think you missed his joke comment lol. Starcraft II wasn't released in 2009 >.> unless that was the joke lol.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
KeksX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany3634 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-15 07:11:56
October 15 2013 07:09 GMT
#1704
On October 15 2013 16:05 BigFan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 14:51 Xiphos wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:34 BigFan wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:19 flashimba wrote:
On October 15 2013 10:37 imBLIND wrote:
Magic boxing was also the reason why ground units clumped up and did stupid shit. It was an unintended glitch of the engine that created a limiting factor on how big of an army you're allowed to have; if you didn't micro all your control groups properly, your army wouldn't be any stronger than a well micro'd force smaller than yours.

Seeing pros move a giant army doesn't make you look in awe in SC2; what I see is "pfft I can do that too." And then people say "oh he's got a bunch of units," and everyone I know goes "he just does it 10 seconds quicker." Now I'm not inferring that there is no skill involved in SC2; what I'm saying is that there is no note-worthy skill in SC2 that is worth watching.


What about larva inject, creep spread, chronoboost?

Nothing like watching a good pro juggle these while pumping out a gazillion units.

Xiphos is right. Once you get to late game with 5-6 bases and multiple inbase hatcheries, imagine having to go to each base and manually click on the hatchery then select the larvae and make units from it. Larva inject in a way simplifies the macro since even though you have to remember to inject larva, you get 7 larvae so that's 4 more larva than usual. With 3 bases, instead of 9 larva, you have 21 larva which is equivalent to 7 hatcheries lol. This doesn't include any inbase hatchery or more bases XD Creep spread adds to APM activity but I think someone mentioned its about 17 or so at best. Chronoboost can create some interesting timings but it's not a must aside from making probes out faster(and upgrades too for a timing attack). You can chronoboost from the minimap, same with larva inject which is what I used to do


As an addendum, I've wrote a piece on SC2 vs BW zerg mechanics comparison here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=370433

interesting. Still have to wonder why they banned you though? XD

Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 16:04 KeksX wrote:
On October 15 2013 02:07 a176 wrote:
When was the last time a player switched to SC2?

SelecT!


On October 15 2013 15:33 Aiobhill wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:19 flashimba wrote:
On October 15 2013 10:37 imBLIND wrote:
Magic boxing was also the reason why ground units clumped up and did stupid shit. It was an unintended glitch of the engine that created a limiting factor on how big of an army you're allowed to have; if you didn't micro all your control groups properly, your army wouldn't be any stronger than a well micro'd force smaller than yours.

Seeing pros move a giant army doesn't make you look in awe in SC2; what I see is "pfft I can do that too." And then people say "oh he's got a bunch of units," and everyone I know goes "he just does it 10 seconds quicker." Now I'm not inferring that there is no skill involved in SC2; what I'm saying is that there is no note-worthy skill in SC2 that is worth watching.


What about larva inject, creep spread, chronoboost?

Nothing like watching a good pro juggle these while pumping out a gazillion units.


This - I'm afraid - is the heart of the problem of SC2 as an e-sport. How many current SC2 viewers, current viewers of other e-sports and not-yet e-sports consumers really wanna watch for hours a game where building worker units marginally quicker often decides the match?

Many times we have or had "top 10 moments" videos after tournaments. These strangely showed fighting unproportionally more often than creepspreading, muledropping or chronoboosting. Wierd isn't it?


Apparently almost 100k for IEM NY, 100k+ for WCS EU and thousands of other for other tournaments.


I can only repeat myself so many times:
Stop making up stuff.

"There's no micro in SC2"
"Nobody wants to watch this"

What is this, 2009?!

Select came back to SCII after his move to LoL(or was it dota?) was unsuccessful so he doesn't qualify lol. As for the second comment, I think you missed his joke comment lol. Starcraft II wasn't released in 2009 >.> unless that was the joke lol.


I'm referring to the fact that priot to SC2 release people posted the same stuff. Like, almost word for word. Thats why I said 2009, because people didn't get to play the game. And I suspect many here to do the same.

EDIT:
Also, about your argument:
Almost every player that switched from SC2 did so because he didn't have success in SC2(anymore). SelecT did exactly the same thing.
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-15 07:29:22
October 15 2013 07:28 GMT
#1705
On October 15 2013 16:09 KeksX wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 16:05 BigFan wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:51 Xiphos wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:34 BigFan wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:19 flashimba wrote:
On October 15 2013 10:37 imBLIND wrote:
Magic boxing was also the reason why ground units clumped up and did stupid shit. It was an unintended glitch of the engine that created a limiting factor on how big of an army you're allowed to have; if you didn't micro all your control groups properly, your army wouldn't be any stronger than a well micro'd force smaller than yours.

Seeing pros move a giant army doesn't make you look in awe in SC2; what I see is "pfft I can do that too." And then people say "oh he's got a bunch of units," and everyone I know goes "he just does it 10 seconds quicker." Now I'm not inferring that there is no skill involved in SC2; what I'm saying is that there is no note-worthy skill in SC2 that is worth watching.


What about larva inject, creep spread, chronoboost?

Nothing like watching a good pro juggle these while pumping out a gazillion units.

Xiphos is right. Once you get to late game with 5-6 bases and multiple inbase hatcheries, imagine having to go to each base and manually click on the hatchery then select the larvae and make units from it. Larva inject in a way simplifies the macro since even though you have to remember to inject larva, you get 7 larvae so that's 4 more larva than usual. With 3 bases, instead of 9 larva, you have 21 larva which is equivalent to 7 hatcheries lol. This doesn't include any inbase hatchery or more bases XD Creep spread adds to APM activity but I think someone mentioned its about 17 or so at best. Chronoboost can create some interesting timings but it's not a must aside from making probes out faster(and upgrades too for a timing attack). You can chronoboost from the minimap, same with larva inject which is what I used to do


As an addendum, I've wrote a piece on SC2 vs BW zerg mechanics comparison here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=370433

interesting. Still have to wonder why they banned you though? XD

On October 15 2013 16:04 KeksX wrote:
On October 15 2013 02:07 a176 wrote:
When was the last time a player switched to SC2?

SelecT!


On October 15 2013 15:33 Aiobhill wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:19 flashimba wrote:
On October 15 2013 10:37 imBLIND wrote:
Magic boxing was also the reason why ground units clumped up and did stupid shit. It was an unintended glitch of the engine that created a limiting factor on how big of an army you're allowed to have; if you didn't micro all your control groups properly, your army wouldn't be any stronger than a well micro'd force smaller than yours.

Seeing pros move a giant army doesn't make you look in awe in SC2; what I see is "pfft I can do that too." And then people say "oh he's got a bunch of units," and everyone I know goes "he just does it 10 seconds quicker." Now I'm not inferring that there is no skill involved in SC2; what I'm saying is that there is no note-worthy skill in SC2 that is worth watching.


What about larva inject, creep spread, chronoboost?

Nothing like watching a good pro juggle these while pumping out a gazillion units.


This - I'm afraid - is the heart of the problem of SC2 as an e-sport. How many current SC2 viewers, current viewers of other e-sports and not-yet e-sports consumers really wanna watch for hours a game where building worker units marginally quicker often decides the match?

Many times we have or had "top 10 moments" videos after tournaments. These strangely showed fighting unproportionally more often than creepspreading, muledropping or chronoboosting. Wierd isn't it?


Apparently almost 100k for IEM NY, 100k+ for WCS EU and thousands of other for other tournaments.


I can only repeat myself so many times:
Stop making up stuff.

"There's no micro in SC2"
"Nobody wants to watch this"

What is this, 2009?!

Select came back to SCII after his move to LoL(or was it dota?) was unsuccessful so he doesn't qualify lol. As for the second comment, I think you missed his joke comment lol. Starcraft II wasn't released in 2009 >.> unless that was the joke lol.


I'm referring to the fact that priot to SC2 release people posted the same stuff. Like, almost word for word. Thats why I said 2009, because people didn't get to play the game. And I suspect many here to do the same.

EDIT:
Also, about your argument:
Almost every player that switched from SC2 did so because he didn't have success in SC2(anymore). SelecT did exactly the same thing.

His point was that we don't have many new players in SCII in the sense that none have switched into it. We got more players that came with the KeSPA switch but we haven't heard much from others. I wasn't here in 2009 so I can't say much on what they were saying. Are you talking about the macro mechanics comments? Also, I played SCII a lot so I'm not just saying lol
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
KeksX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany3634 Posts
October 15 2013 07:43 GMT
#1706
On October 15 2013 16:28 BigFan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 16:09 KeksX wrote:
On October 15 2013 16:05 BigFan wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:51 Xiphos wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:34 BigFan wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:19 flashimba wrote:
On October 15 2013 10:37 imBLIND wrote:
Magic boxing was also the reason why ground units clumped up and did stupid shit. It was an unintended glitch of the engine that created a limiting factor on how big of an army you're allowed to have; if you didn't micro all your control groups properly, your army wouldn't be any stronger than a well micro'd force smaller than yours.

Seeing pros move a giant army doesn't make you look in awe in SC2; what I see is "pfft I can do that too." And then people say "oh he's got a bunch of units," and everyone I know goes "he just does it 10 seconds quicker." Now I'm not inferring that there is no skill involved in SC2; what I'm saying is that there is no note-worthy skill in SC2 that is worth watching.


What about larva inject, creep spread, chronoboost?

Nothing like watching a good pro juggle these while pumping out a gazillion units.

Xiphos is right. Once you get to late game with 5-6 bases and multiple inbase hatcheries, imagine having to go to each base and manually click on the hatchery then select the larvae and make units from it. Larva inject in a way simplifies the macro since even though you have to remember to inject larva, you get 7 larvae so that's 4 more larva than usual. With 3 bases, instead of 9 larva, you have 21 larva which is equivalent to 7 hatcheries lol. This doesn't include any inbase hatchery or more bases XD Creep spread adds to APM activity but I think someone mentioned its about 17 or so at best. Chronoboost can create some interesting timings but it's not a must aside from making probes out faster(and upgrades too for a timing attack). You can chronoboost from the minimap, same with larva inject which is what I used to do


As an addendum, I've wrote a piece on SC2 vs BW zerg mechanics comparison here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=370433

interesting. Still have to wonder why they banned you though? XD

On October 15 2013 16:04 KeksX wrote:
On October 15 2013 02:07 a176 wrote:
When was the last time a player switched to SC2?

SelecT!


On October 15 2013 15:33 Aiobhill wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:19 flashimba wrote:
On October 15 2013 10:37 imBLIND wrote:
Magic boxing was also the reason why ground units clumped up and did stupid shit. It was an unintended glitch of the engine that created a limiting factor on how big of an army you're allowed to have; if you didn't micro all your control groups properly, your army wouldn't be any stronger than a well micro'd force smaller than yours.

Seeing pros move a giant army doesn't make you look in awe in SC2; what I see is "pfft I can do that too." And then people say "oh he's got a bunch of units," and everyone I know goes "he just does it 10 seconds quicker." Now I'm not inferring that there is no skill involved in SC2; what I'm saying is that there is no note-worthy skill in SC2 that is worth watching.


What about larva inject, creep spread, chronoboost?

Nothing like watching a good pro juggle these while pumping out a gazillion units.


This - I'm afraid - is the heart of the problem of SC2 as an e-sport. How many current SC2 viewers, current viewers of other e-sports and not-yet e-sports consumers really wanna watch for hours a game where building worker units marginally quicker often decides the match?

Many times we have or had "top 10 moments" videos after tournaments. These strangely showed fighting unproportionally more often than creepspreading, muledropping or chronoboosting. Wierd isn't it?


Apparently almost 100k for IEM NY, 100k+ for WCS EU and thousands of other for other tournaments.


I can only repeat myself so many times:
Stop making up stuff.

"There's no micro in SC2"
"Nobody wants to watch this"

What is this, 2009?!

Select came back to SCII after his move to LoL(or was it dota?) was unsuccessful so he doesn't qualify lol. As for the second comment, I think you missed his joke comment lol. Starcraft II wasn't released in 2009 >.> unless that was the joke lol.


I'm referring to the fact that priot to SC2 release people posted the same stuff. Like, almost word for word. Thats why I said 2009, because people didn't get to play the game. And I suspect many here to do the same.

EDIT:
Also, about your argument:
Almost every player that switched from SC2 did so because he didn't have success in SC2(anymore). SelecT did exactly the same thing.

His point was that we don't have many new players in SCII in the sense that none have switched into it. We got more players that came with the KeSPA switch but we haven't heard much from others. I wasn't here in 2009 so I can't say much on what they were saying. Are you talking about the macro mechanics comments? Also, I played SCII a lot so I'm not just saying lol



Not only macro, people said there would be no micro. Basically that SC2 would be a skillless game nobody cares about.

Anyway. We DO have a lot of new players, it's just that they have to work their way through the top. Do you think new players in LoL and DotA2 instantly get attention and play in major tournaments?
BigFan
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
TLADT24920 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-15 08:02:40
October 15 2013 08:00 GMT
#1707
On October 15 2013 16:43 KeksX wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 16:28 BigFan wrote:
On October 15 2013 16:09 KeksX wrote:
On October 15 2013 16:05 BigFan wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:51 Xiphos wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:34 BigFan wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:19 flashimba wrote:
On October 15 2013 10:37 imBLIND wrote:
Magic boxing was also the reason why ground units clumped up and did stupid shit. It was an unintended glitch of the engine that created a limiting factor on how big of an army you're allowed to have; if you didn't micro all your control groups properly, your army wouldn't be any stronger than a well micro'd force smaller than yours.

Seeing pros move a giant army doesn't make you look in awe in SC2; what I see is "pfft I can do that too." And then people say "oh he's got a bunch of units," and everyone I know goes "he just does it 10 seconds quicker." Now I'm not inferring that there is no skill involved in SC2; what I'm saying is that there is no note-worthy skill in SC2 that is worth watching.


What about larva inject, creep spread, chronoboost?

Nothing like watching a good pro juggle these while pumping out a gazillion units.

Xiphos is right. Once you get to late game with 5-6 bases and multiple inbase hatcheries, imagine having to go to each base and manually click on the hatchery then select the larvae and make units from it. Larva inject in a way simplifies the macro since even though you have to remember to inject larva, you get 7 larvae so that's 4 more larva than usual. With 3 bases, instead of 9 larva, you have 21 larva which is equivalent to 7 hatcheries lol. This doesn't include any inbase hatchery or more bases XD Creep spread adds to APM activity but I think someone mentioned its about 17 or so at best. Chronoboost can create some interesting timings but it's not a must aside from making probes out faster(and upgrades too for a timing attack). You can chronoboost from the minimap, same with larva inject which is what I used to do


As an addendum, I've wrote a piece on SC2 vs BW zerg mechanics comparison here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=370433

interesting. Still have to wonder why they banned you though? XD

On October 15 2013 16:04 KeksX wrote:
On October 15 2013 02:07 a176 wrote:
When was the last time a player switched to SC2?

SelecT!


On October 15 2013 15:33 Aiobhill wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:19 flashimba wrote:
On October 15 2013 10:37 imBLIND wrote:
Magic boxing was also the reason why ground units clumped up and did stupid shit. It was an unintended glitch of the engine that created a limiting factor on how big of an army you're allowed to have; if you didn't micro all your control groups properly, your army wouldn't be any stronger than a well micro'd force smaller than yours.

Seeing pros move a giant army doesn't make you look in awe in SC2; what I see is "pfft I can do that too." And then people say "oh he's got a bunch of units," and everyone I know goes "he just does it 10 seconds quicker." Now I'm not inferring that there is no skill involved in SC2; what I'm saying is that there is no note-worthy skill in SC2 that is worth watching.


What about larva inject, creep spread, chronoboost?

Nothing like watching a good pro juggle these while pumping out a gazillion units.


This - I'm afraid - is the heart of the problem of SC2 as an e-sport. How many current SC2 viewers, current viewers of other e-sports and not-yet e-sports consumers really wanna watch for hours a game where building worker units marginally quicker often decides the match?

Many times we have or had "top 10 moments" videos after tournaments. These strangely showed fighting unproportionally more often than creepspreading, muledropping or chronoboosting. Wierd isn't it?


Apparently almost 100k for IEM NY, 100k+ for WCS EU and thousands of other for other tournaments.


I can only repeat myself so many times:
Stop making up stuff.

"There's no micro in SC2"
"Nobody wants to watch this"

What is this, 2009?!

Select came back to SCII after his move to LoL(or was it dota?) was unsuccessful so he doesn't qualify lol. As for the second comment, I think you missed his joke comment lol. Starcraft II wasn't released in 2009 >.> unless that was the joke lol.


I'm referring to the fact that priot to SC2 release people posted the same stuff. Like, almost word for word. Thats why I said 2009, because people didn't get to play the game. And I suspect many here to do the same.

EDIT:
Also, about your argument:
Almost every player that switched from SC2 did so because he didn't have success in SC2(anymore). SelecT did exactly the same thing.

His point was that we don't have many new players in SCII in the sense that none have switched into it. We got more players that came with the KeSPA switch but we haven't heard much from others. I wasn't here in 2009 so I can't say much on what they were saying. Are you talking about the macro mechanics comments? Also, I played SCII a lot so I'm not just saying lol



Not only macro, people said there would be no micro. Basically that SC2 would be a skillless game nobody cares about.

Anyway. We DO have a lot of new players, it's just that they have to work their way through the top. Do you think new players in LoL and DotA2 instantly get attention and play in major tournaments?

well, you still have to admit that the level of micro in SCII isn't quite what people wanted. Even Jaedong himself was saying how in BW, he can win through micro alone but you can't in SCII(rare). Not sure where I stand on macro mechanics though lol. I think chronoboost is interesting, muling and inject larvae are too static since they are used on one thing meh.

As for new players, even in the last several months, only Sora comes to mind. Maybe there is someone else I'm not aware of. I've seen/heard of most of the other players and it's still mostly the top ESF and KeSPA who are playing and dominating.
Former BW EiC"Watch Bakemonogatari or I will kill you." -Toad, April 18th, 2017
Insoleet
Profile Joined May 2012
France1806 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-15 08:05:41
October 15 2013 08:05 GMT
#1708
On October 15 2013 17:00 BigFan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 16:43 KeksX wrote:
On October 15 2013 16:28 BigFan wrote:
On October 15 2013 16:09 KeksX wrote:
On October 15 2013 16:05 BigFan wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:51 Xiphos wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:34 BigFan wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:19 flashimba wrote:
On October 15 2013 10:37 imBLIND wrote:
Magic boxing was also the reason why ground units clumped up and did stupid shit. It was an unintended glitch of the engine that created a limiting factor on how big of an army you're allowed to have; if you didn't micro all your control groups properly, your army wouldn't be any stronger than a well micro'd force smaller than yours.

Seeing pros move a giant army doesn't make you look in awe in SC2; what I see is "pfft I can do that too." And then people say "oh he's got a bunch of units," and everyone I know goes "he just does it 10 seconds quicker." Now I'm not inferring that there is no skill involved in SC2; what I'm saying is that there is no note-worthy skill in SC2 that is worth watching.


What about larva inject, creep spread, chronoboost?

Nothing like watching a good pro juggle these while pumping out a gazillion units.

Xiphos is right. Once you get to late game with 5-6 bases and multiple inbase hatcheries, imagine having to go to each base and manually click on the hatchery then select the larvae and make units from it. Larva inject in a way simplifies the macro since even though you have to remember to inject larva, you get 7 larvae so that's 4 more larva than usual. With 3 bases, instead of 9 larva, you have 21 larva which is equivalent to 7 hatcheries lol. This doesn't include any inbase hatchery or more bases XD Creep spread adds to APM activity but I think someone mentioned its about 17 or so at best. Chronoboost can create some interesting timings but it's not a must aside from making probes out faster(and upgrades too for a timing attack). You can chronoboost from the minimap, same with larva inject which is what I used to do


As an addendum, I've wrote a piece on SC2 vs BW zerg mechanics comparison here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=370433

interesting. Still have to wonder why they banned you though? XD

On October 15 2013 16:04 KeksX wrote:
On October 15 2013 02:07 a176 wrote:
When was the last time a player switched to SC2?

SelecT!


On October 15 2013 15:33 Aiobhill wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:19 flashimba wrote:
On October 15 2013 10:37 imBLIND wrote:
Magic boxing was also the reason why ground units clumped up and did stupid shit. It was an unintended glitch of the engine that created a limiting factor on how big of an army you're allowed to have; if you didn't micro all your control groups properly, your army wouldn't be any stronger than a well micro'd force smaller than yours.

Seeing pros move a giant army doesn't make you look in awe in SC2; what I see is "pfft I can do that too." And then people say "oh he's got a bunch of units," and everyone I know goes "he just does it 10 seconds quicker." Now I'm not inferring that there is no skill involved in SC2; what I'm saying is that there is no note-worthy skill in SC2 that is worth watching.


What about larva inject, creep spread, chronoboost?

Nothing like watching a good pro juggle these while pumping out a gazillion units.


This - I'm afraid - is the heart of the problem of SC2 as an e-sport. How many current SC2 viewers, current viewers of other e-sports and not-yet e-sports consumers really wanna watch for hours a game where building worker units marginally quicker often decides the match?

Many times we have or had "top 10 moments" videos after tournaments. These strangely showed fighting unproportionally more often than creepspreading, muledropping or chronoboosting. Wierd isn't it?


Apparently almost 100k for IEM NY, 100k+ for WCS EU and thousands of other for other tournaments.


I can only repeat myself so many times:
Stop making up stuff.

"There's no micro in SC2"
"Nobody wants to watch this"

What is this, 2009?!

Select came back to SCII after his move to LoL(or was it dota?) was unsuccessful so he doesn't qualify lol. As for the second comment, I think you missed his joke comment lol. Starcraft II wasn't released in 2009 >.> unless that was the joke lol.


I'm referring to the fact that priot to SC2 release people posted the same stuff. Like, almost word for word. Thats why I said 2009, because people didn't get to play the game. And I suspect many here to do the same.

EDIT:
Also, about your argument:
Almost every player that switched from SC2 did so because he didn't have success in SC2(anymore). SelecT did exactly the same thing.

His point was that we don't have many new players in SCII in the sense that none have switched into it. We got more players that came with the KeSPA switch but we haven't heard much from others. I wasn't here in 2009 so I can't say much on what they were saying. Are you talking about the macro mechanics comments? Also, I played SCII a lot so I'm not just saying lol



Not only macro, people said there would be no micro. Basically that SC2 would be a skillless game nobody cares about.

Anyway. We DO have a lot of new players, it's just that they have to work their way through the top. Do you think new players in LoL and DotA2 instantly get attention and play in major tournaments?

well, you still have to admit that the level of micro in SCII isn't quite what people wanted. Even Jaedong himself was saying how in BW, he can win through micro alone but you can't in SCII(rare). Not sure where I stand on macro mechanics though lol. I think chronoboost is interesting, muling and inject larvae are too static since they are used on one thing meh.

As for new players, even in the last several months, only Sora comes to mind. Maybe there is someone else I'm not aware of. I've seen/heard of most of the other players and it's still mostly the top ESF and KeSPA who are playing and dominating.


In SC2, you have to be decent in micro (splitting / positionning / focus fire / spells) and decent in macro (no ressource stock piling, no supply block, no pause between upgrades) to win.

Players cant shine throught micro or macro, they shine because they are good in both.
Rabiator
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany3948 Posts
October 15 2013 08:30 GMT
#1709
On October 15 2013 17:05 Insoleet wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 17:00 BigFan wrote:
On October 15 2013 16:43 KeksX wrote:
On October 15 2013 16:28 BigFan wrote:
On October 15 2013 16:09 KeksX wrote:
On October 15 2013 16:05 BigFan wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:51 Xiphos wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:34 BigFan wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:19 flashimba wrote:
On October 15 2013 10:37 imBLIND wrote:
Magic boxing was also the reason why ground units clumped up and did stupid shit. It was an unintended glitch of the engine that created a limiting factor on how big of an army you're allowed to have; if you didn't micro all your control groups properly, your army wouldn't be any stronger than a well micro'd force smaller than yours.

Seeing pros move a giant army doesn't make you look in awe in SC2; what I see is "pfft I can do that too." And then people say "oh he's got a bunch of units," and everyone I know goes "he just does it 10 seconds quicker." Now I'm not inferring that there is no skill involved in SC2; what I'm saying is that there is no note-worthy skill in SC2 that is worth watching.


What about larva inject, creep spread, chronoboost?

Nothing like watching a good pro juggle these while pumping out a gazillion units.

Xiphos is right. Once you get to late game with 5-6 bases and multiple inbase hatcheries, imagine having to go to each base and manually click on the hatchery then select the larvae and make units from it. Larva inject in a way simplifies the macro since even though you have to remember to inject larva, you get 7 larvae so that's 4 more larva than usual. With 3 bases, instead of 9 larva, you have 21 larva which is equivalent to 7 hatcheries lol. This doesn't include any inbase hatchery or more bases XD Creep spread adds to APM activity but I think someone mentioned its about 17 or so at best. Chronoboost can create some interesting timings but it's not a must aside from making probes out faster(and upgrades too for a timing attack). You can chronoboost from the minimap, same with larva inject which is what I used to do


As an addendum, I've wrote a piece on SC2 vs BW zerg mechanics comparison here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=370433

interesting. Still have to wonder why they banned you though? XD

On October 15 2013 16:04 KeksX wrote:
On October 15 2013 02:07 a176 wrote:
When was the last time a player switched to SC2?

SelecT!


On October 15 2013 15:33 Aiobhill wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:19 flashimba wrote:
On October 15 2013 10:37 imBLIND wrote:
Magic boxing was also the reason why ground units clumped up and did stupid shit. It was an unintended glitch of the engine that created a limiting factor on how big of an army you're allowed to have; if you didn't micro all your control groups properly, your army wouldn't be any stronger than a well micro'd force smaller than yours.

Seeing pros move a giant army doesn't make you look in awe in SC2; what I see is "pfft I can do that too." And then people say "oh he's got a bunch of units," and everyone I know goes "he just does it 10 seconds quicker." Now I'm not inferring that there is no skill involved in SC2; what I'm saying is that there is no note-worthy skill in SC2 that is worth watching.


What about larva inject, creep spread, chronoboost?

Nothing like watching a good pro juggle these while pumping out a gazillion units.


This - I'm afraid - is the heart of the problem of SC2 as an e-sport. How many current SC2 viewers, current viewers of other e-sports and not-yet e-sports consumers really wanna watch for hours a game where building worker units marginally quicker often decides the match?

Many times we have or had "top 10 moments" videos after tournaments. These strangely showed fighting unproportionally more often than creepspreading, muledropping or chronoboosting. Wierd isn't it?


Apparently almost 100k for IEM NY, 100k+ for WCS EU and thousands of other for other tournaments.


I can only repeat myself so many times:
Stop making up stuff.

"There's no micro in SC2"
"Nobody wants to watch this"

What is this, 2009?!

Select came back to SCII after his move to LoL(or was it dota?) was unsuccessful so he doesn't qualify lol. As for the second comment, I think you missed his joke comment lol. Starcraft II wasn't released in 2009 >.> unless that was the joke lol.


I'm referring to the fact that priot to SC2 release people posted the same stuff. Like, almost word for word. Thats why I said 2009, because people didn't get to play the game. And I suspect many here to do the same.

EDIT:
Also, about your argument:
Almost every player that switched from SC2 did so because he didn't have success in SC2(anymore). SelecT did exactly the same thing.

His point was that we don't have many new players in SCII in the sense that none have switched into it. We got more players that came with the KeSPA switch but we haven't heard much from others. I wasn't here in 2009 so I can't say much on what they were saying. Are you talking about the macro mechanics comments? Also, I played SCII a lot so I'm not just saying lol



Not only macro, people said there would be no micro. Basically that SC2 would be a skillless game nobody cares about.

Anyway. We DO have a lot of new players, it's just that they have to work their way through the top. Do you think new players in LoL and DotA2 instantly get attention and play in major tournaments?

well, you still have to admit that the level of micro in SCII isn't quite what people wanted. Even Jaedong himself was saying how in BW, he can win through micro alone but you can't in SCII(rare). Not sure where I stand on macro mechanics though lol. I think chronoboost is interesting, muling and inject larvae are too static since they are used on one thing meh.

As for new players, even in the last several months, only Sora comes to mind. Maybe there is someone else I'm not aware of. I've seen/heard of most of the other players and it's still mostly the top ESF and KeSPA who are playing and dominating.


In SC2, you have to be decent in micro (splitting / positionning / focus fire / spells) and decent in macro (no ressource stock piling, no supply block, no pause between upgrades) to win.

Players cant shine throught micro or macro, they shine because they are good in both.

Nah ... you also have to rely on your opponent to screw up to win. The perfect example is the Baneling, where the efficiency of the unit - in its ground based forms - depends largely on the opponent NOT splitting quickly enough or NOT detecting the landmines. Due to the "instant kill potential" of a bunch of Banelings they can literaly decide a game in a few seconds. That isnt an exciting way to lose, because you have to be VERY good AND look at your units at the right time ...

Your assumption is totally wrong for casual players, because you can win by simply producing more stuff than your opponent and then a-moving it into his base. I am terrible at SC2, but thats how I won a few games when I still played. The POTENTIAL for a huge production is simply a bad design decision for casuals, because you can never really tell when the switch from economy and buildup to mass production comes and then you lose because your opponent has wayy more stuff and due to the tight unit movement he can also kill your lower numbers far more easily due to the automatically maximized unit density.
If you cant say what you're meaning, you can never mean what you're saying.
gTank
Profile Joined January 2011
Austria2668 Posts
October 15 2013 08:39 GMT
#1710
On October 15 2013 14:51 Xiphos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 14:34 BigFan wrote:
On October 15 2013 14:19 flashimba wrote:
On October 15 2013 10:37 imBLIND wrote:
Magic boxing was also the reason why ground units clumped up and did stupid shit. It was an unintended glitch of the engine that created a limiting factor on how big of an army you're allowed to have; if you didn't micro all your control groups properly, your army wouldn't be any stronger than a well micro'd force smaller than yours.

Seeing pros move a giant army doesn't make you look in awe in SC2; what I see is "pfft I can do that too." And then people say "oh he's got a bunch of units," and everyone I know goes "he just does it 10 seconds quicker." Now I'm not inferring that there is no skill involved in SC2; what I'm saying is that there is no note-worthy skill in SC2 that is worth watching.


What about larva inject, creep spread, chronoboost?

Nothing like watching a good pro juggle these while pumping out a gazillion units.

Xiphos is right. Once you get to late game with 5-6 bases and multiple inbase hatcheries, imagine having to go to each base and manually click on the hatchery then select the larvae and make units from it. Larva inject in a way simplifies the macro since even though you have to remember to inject larva, you get 7 larvae so that's 4 more larva than usual. With 3 bases, instead of 9 larva, you have 21 larva which is equivalent to 7 hatcheries lol. This doesn't include any inbase hatchery or more bases XD Creep spread adds to APM activity but I think someone mentioned its about 17 or so at best. Chronoboost can create some interesting timings but it's not a must aside from making probes out faster(and upgrades too for a timing attack). You can chronoboost from the minimap, same with larva inject which is what I used to do


As an addendum, I've wrote a piece on SC2 vs BW zerg mechanics comparison here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=370433



Why did you get temp banned for this post?
One crossed wire, one wayward pinch of potassium chlorate, one errant twitch...and kablooie!
Liquid`Ret
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
Netherlands4535 Posts
October 15 2013 08:40 GMT
#1711
I'd really like this thread to not keep popping up on the left side of the forum.
Team Liquid
KeksX
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany3634 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-15 08:50:48
October 15 2013 08:44 GMT
#1712
@Rabiator:

Most of what you said is true for BW as well, though. I played casually and won 99% of my games because I simply overran my opponent with more units. I was never really good, though, so I don't know about high level play.
But I do know that in SC2, in high level play it's not that simple anymore.

I do agree, however, on another point:
Many tmes it's your opponent screwing up, not you winning. HOWEVER, in SC2, to make that more even, you can FORCE your opponent to screw up. Maybe while he spreads marines against your banelings, you snipe a medivac, or tanks, or buildings etc.

I also agree that SC2 has very different skillsets, even fewer in some regards compared to BW, but it is no "skillless ded gjaem".

As for new players:
Sora, Xenocider, a lot of koreans "coming out of their shell", Welmu has been pretty good and gets a lot better now. The problem is that people don't recognize "old players" getting better. For them its just reading COMPLETELY new names in big tournaments... This almost never happens in other games, and it won't happen in SC2.
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-15 09:41:08
October 15 2013 08:46 GMT
#1713
On October 15 2013 17:40 Liquid`Ret wrote:
I'd really like this thread to not keep popping up on the left side of the forum.

talk to the site owners and ask for 'ignore thread/poster' functionality
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Rabiator
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany3948 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-15 09:32:23
October 15 2013 09:09 GMT
#1714
On October 15 2013 17:44 KeksX wrote:
@Rabiator:

Most of what you said is true for BW as well, though. I played casually and won 99% of my games because I simply overran my opponent with more units. I was never really good, though, so I don't know about high level play.
But I do know that in SC2, in high level play it's not that simple anymore.

I do agree, however, on another point:
Many tmes it's your opponent screwing up, not you winning. HOWEVER, in SC2, to make that more even, you can FORCE your opponent to screw up. Maybe while he spreads marines against your banelings, you snipe a medivac, or tanks, or buildings etc.

I also agree that SC2 has very different skillsets, even fewer in some regards compared to BW, but it is no "skillless ded gjaem".

As for new players:
Sora, Xenocider, a lot of koreans "coming out of their shell", Welmu has been pretty good and gets a lot better now. The problem is that people don't recognize "old players" getting better. For them its just reading COMPLETELY new names in big tournaments... This almost never happens in other games, and it won't happen in SC2.

Obviously any "competitive resource management game" has to deal with the problem of potential mass production, BUT since SC2 has a far higher economy AND production boosts the swings from peaceful buildup to arms production are more drastic. In addition to this SC2 does not have a defenders advantage AND there are those "go around the defense" - stuff like Warp Gate or Reapers - or even the straight up bust with Banelings and this really screws up a lot of defensive potential. This makes SC2 far far FAR too much focused on the offensive side of the game.

BW was less economy and lower unit density and thus any sudden swing in production could be delayed by a few defensively minded units like Siege Tanks or Lurkers and gave you enough time to react. In SC2 you dont have that potential of a slow down, because of the automatically maximized unit density and the far too big efficiency against smaller numbers because of this.

----

EDIT: The key difference between BW and SC2 really is the "dosis" and SC2 has far too much of many things:
- unit density
- economy
- unit production
- unit "utility" (unlimited selection, smartcast, ..)
This all adds up to an unhealthy package which makes the game volatile and coinflippy. BW on the other hand had the UI limitations which slowed everything down to a manageable speed which was fair to both the attacker AND the defender.
If you cant say what you're meaning, you can never mean what you're saying.
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
October 15 2013 10:25 GMT
#1715
On October 15 2013 18:09 Rabiator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 17:44 KeksX wrote:
@Rabiator:

Most of what you said is true for BW as well, though. I played casually and won 99% of my games because I simply overran my opponent with more units. I was never really good, though, so I don't know about high level play.
But I do know that in SC2, in high level play it's not that simple anymore.

I do agree, however, on another point:
Many tmes it's your opponent screwing up, not you winning. HOWEVER, in SC2, to make that more even, you can FORCE your opponent to screw up. Maybe while he spreads marines against your banelings, you snipe a medivac, or tanks, or buildings etc.

I also agree that SC2 has very different skillsets, even fewer in some regards compared to BW, but it is no "skillless ded gjaem".

As for new players:
Sora, Xenocider, a lot of koreans "coming out of their shell", Welmu has been pretty good and gets a lot better now. The problem is that people don't recognize "old players" getting better. For them its just reading COMPLETELY new names in big tournaments... This almost never happens in other games, and it won't happen in SC2.

Obviously any "competitive resource management game" has to deal with the problem of potential mass production, BUT since SC2 has a far higher economy AND production boosts the swings from peaceful buildup to arms production are more drastic. In addition to this SC2 does not have a defenders advantage AND there are those "go around the defense" - stuff like Warp Gate or Reapers - or even the straight up bust with Banelings and this really screws up a lot of defensive potential. This makes SC2 far far FAR too much focused on the offensive side of the game.

BW was less economy and lower unit density and thus any sudden swing in production could be delayed by a few defensively minded units like Siege Tanks or Lurkers and gave you enough time to react. In SC2 you dont have that potential of a slow down, because of the automatically maximized unit density and the far too big efficiency against smaller numbers because of this.

----

EDIT: The key difference between BW and SC2 really is the "dosis" and SC2 has far too much of many things:
- unit density
- economy
- unit production
- unit "utility" (unlimited selection, smartcast, ..)
This all adds up to an unhealthy package which makes the game volatile and coinflippy. BW on the other hand had the UI limitations which slowed everything down to a manageable speed which was fair to both the attacker AND the defender.


I cant really agree on your point that sc2 has problem with the army buildup being too drastic. terran and protoss should build army all the time and zerg has the larva to react to sudden attacks. If you wanna blame the game that you cant be even greedier than you are right now, well thats kinda redundant, there is always a point where you have to make some units^^

I also hate that people bring up the volatile aspect every time, it maybe is more volatile than BW, but it isnt volatile enough to completely destroy the competition, as you can see in nearly every tournament, the best players always get far.
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
Rabiator
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany3948 Posts
October 15 2013 10:43 GMT
#1716
On October 15 2013 19:25 The_Red_Viper wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 18:09 Rabiator wrote:
On October 15 2013 17:44 KeksX wrote:
@Rabiator:

Most of what you said is true for BW as well, though. I played casually and won 99% of my games because I simply overran my opponent with more units. I was never really good, though, so I don't know about high level play.
But I do know that in SC2, in high level play it's not that simple anymore.

I do agree, however, on another point:
Many tmes it's your opponent screwing up, not you winning. HOWEVER, in SC2, to make that more even, you can FORCE your opponent to screw up. Maybe while he spreads marines against your banelings, you snipe a medivac, or tanks, or buildings etc.

I also agree that SC2 has very different skillsets, even fewer in some regards compared to BW, but it is no "skillless ded gjaem".

As for new players:
Sora, Xenocider, a lot of koreans "coming out of their shell", Welmu has been pretty good and gets a lot better now. The problem is that people don't recognize "old players" getting better. For them its just reading COMPLETELY new names in big tournaments... This almost never happens in other games, and it won't happen in SC2.

Obviously any "competitive resource management game" has to deal with the problem of potential mass production, BUT since SC2 has a far higher economy AND production boosts the swings from peaceful buildup to arms production are more drastic. In addition to this SC2 does not have a defenders advantage AND there are those "go around the defense" - stuff like Warp Gate or Reapers - or even the straight up bust with Banelings and this really screws up a lot of defensive potential. This makes SC2 far far FAR too much focused on the offensive side of the game.

BW was less economy and lower unit density and thus any sudden swing in production could be delayed by a few defensively minded units like Siege Tanks or Lurkers and gave you enough time to react. In SC2 you dont have that potential of a slow down, because of the automatically maximized unit density and the far too big efficiency against smaller numbers because of this.

----

EDIT: The key difference between BW and SC2 really is the "dosis" and SC2 has far too much of many things:
- unit density
- economy
- unit production
- unit "utility" (unlimited selection, smartcast, ..)
This all adds up to an unhealthy package which makes the game volatile and coinflippy. BW on the other hand had the UI limitations which slowed everything down to a manageable speed which was fair to both the attacker AND the defender.


I cant really agree on your point that sc2 has problem with the army buildup being too drastic. terran and protoss should build army all the time and zerg has the larva to react to sudden attacks. If you wanna blame the game that you cant be even greedier than you are right now, well thats kinda redundant, there is always a point where you have to make some units^^

I also hate that people bring up the volatile aspect every time, it maybe is more volatile than BW, but it isnt volatile enough to completely destroy the competition, as you can see in nearly every tournament, the best players always get far.

You only think as a SPECTATOR and not as a player. Volatility is a HUGE problem for casuals, because it makes the game not fun to play. You absolutely need a huge fanbase for a game as the long term basis of an eSport.

If you ever get a Protoss warping in lots of units in your own base you will know what is meant with "too much volatility". As a professional you can deal with it, but casuals wont be.
If you cant say what you're meaning, you can never mean what you're saying.
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
October 15 2013 10:46 GMT
#1717
On October 15 2013 19:25 The_Red_Viper wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 18:09 Rabiator wrote:
On October 15 2013 17:44 KeksX wrote:
@Rabiator:

Most of what you said is true for BW as well, though. I played casually and won 99% of my games because I simply overran my opponent with more units. I was never really good, though, so I don't know about high level play.
But I do know that in SC2, in high level play it's not that simple anymore.

I do agree, however, on another point:
Many tmes it's your opponent screwing up, not you winning. HOWEVER, in SC2, to make that more even, you can FORCE your opponent to screw up. Maybe while he spreads marines against your banelings, you snipe a medivac, or tanks, or buildings etc.

I also agree that SC2 has very different skillsets, even fewer in some regards compared to BW, but it is no "skillless ded gjaem".

As for new players:
Sora, Xenocider, a lot of koreans "coming out of their shell", Welmu has been pretty good and gets a lot better now. The problem is that people don't recognize "old players" getting better. For them its just reading COMPLETELY new names in big tournaments... This almost never happens in other games, and it won't happen in SC2.

Obviously any "competitive resource management game" has to deal with the problem of potential mass production, BUT since SC2 has a far higher economy AND production boosts the swings from peaceful buildup to arms production are more drastic. In addition to this SC2 does not have a defenders advantage AND there are those "go around the defense" - stuff like Warp Gate or Reapers - or even the straight up bust with Banelings and this really screws up a lot of defensive potential. This makes SC2 far far FAR too much focused on the offensive side of the game.

BW was less economy and lower unit density and thus any sudden swing in production could be delayed by a few defensively minded units like Siege Tanks or Lurkers and gave you enough time to react. In SC2 you dont have that potential of a slow down, because of the automatically maximized unit density and the far too big efficiency against smaller numbers because of this.

----

EDIT: The key difference between BW and SC2 really is the "dosis" and SC2 has far too much of many things:
- unit density
- economy
- unit production
- unit "utility" (unlimited selection, smartcast, ..)
This all adds up to an unhealthy package which makes the game volatile and coinflippy. BW on the other hand had the UI limitations which slowed everything down to a manageable speed which was fair to both the attacker AND the defender.


I cant really agree on your point that sc2 has problem with the army buildup being too drastic. terran and protoss should build army all the time and zerg has the larva to react to sudden attacks. If you wanna blame the game that you cant be even greedier than you are right now, well thats kinda redundant, there is always a point where you have to make some units^^

I also hate that people bring up the volatile aspect every time, it maybe is more volatile than BW, but it isnt volatile enough to completely destroy the competition, as you can see in nearly every tournament, the best players always get far.

Brood War doesn't have the 12 minute roach max. I think it's a degenerate strategy: focus purely on economy and then purely on army, attack at maximum supply. It's a strategy not befitting a so-called strategy game, because it's the most simplistic one you could possibly think of. And it's all because zerg has so much production power to turn towards either economy or army, they have no limitations. It might not be imbalanced, but there is no strategic depth to it and it's quite sad that it's such a viable way to play.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-15 10:58:49
October 15 2013 10:54 GMT
#1718
On October 15 2013 19:43 Rabiator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 19:25 The_Red_Viper wrote:
On October 15 2013 18:09 Rabiator wrote:
On October 15 2013 17:44 KeksX wrote:
@Rabiator:

Most of what you said is true for BW as well, though. I played casually and won 99% of my games because I simply overran my opponent with more units. I was never really good, though, so I don't know about high level play.
But I do know that in SC2, in high level play it's not that simple anymore.

I do agree, however, on another point:
Many tmes it's your opponent screwing up, not you winning. HOWEVER, in SC2, to make that more even, you can FORCE your opponent to screw up. Maybe while he spreads marines against your banelings, you snipe a medivac, or tanks, or buildings etc.

I also agree that SC2 has very different skillsets, even fewer in some regards compared to BW, but it is no "skillless ded gjaem".

As for new players:
Sora, Xenocider, a lot of koreans "coming out of their shell", Welmu has been pretty good and gets a lot better now. The problem is that people don't recognize "old players" getting better. For them its just reading COMPLETELY new names in big tournaments... This almost never happens in other games, and it won't happen in SC2.

Obviously any "competitive resource management game" has to deal with the problem of potential mass production, BUT since SC2 has a far higher economy AND production boosts the swings from peaceful buildup to arms production are more drastic. In addition to this SC2 does not have a defenders advantage AND there are those "go around the defense" - stuff like Warp Gate or Reapers - or even the straight up bust with Banelings and this really screws up a lot of defensive potential. This makes SC2 far far FAR too much focused on the offensive side of the game.

BW was less economy and lower unit density and thus any sudden swing in production could be delayed by a few defensively minded units like Siege Tanks or Lurkers and gave you enough time to react. In SC2 you dont have that potential of a slow down, because of the automatically maximized unit density and the far too big efficiency against smaller numbers because of this.

----

EDIT: The key difference between BW and SC2 really is the "dosis" and SC2 has far too much of many things:
- unit density
- economy
- unit production
- unit "utility" (unlimited selection, smartcast, ..)
This all adds up to an unhealthy package which makes the game volatile and coinflippy. BW on the other hand had the UI limitations which slowed everything down to a manageable speed which was fair to both the attacker AND the defender.


I cant really agree on your point that sc2 has problem with the army buildup being too drastic. terran and protoss should build army all the time and zerg has the larva to react to sudden attacks. If you wanna blame the game that you cant be even greedier than you are right now, well thats kinda redundant, there is always a point where you have to make some units^^

I also hate that people bring up the volatile aspect every time, it maybe is more volatile than BW, but it isnt volatile enough to completely destroy the competition, as you can see in nearly every tournament, the best players always get far.

You only think as a SPECTATOR and not as a player. Volatility is a HUGE problem for casuals, because it makes the game not fun to play. You absolutely need a huge fanbase for a game as the long term basis of an eSport.

If you ever get a Protoss warping in lots of units in your own base you will know what is meant with "too much volatility". As a professional you can deal with it, but casuals wont be.


I dont agree on that either. The good (but also bad) thing about sc2 is the matchmaking. You will only play vs opponents who are on your skillevel. Therefore its always pretty even, cause the opponent is just as bad as you to use "the volatile" aspects of the game. The bad thing about that is that you will always lose around 50% of your matches and that is just unfun for casuals (here: ladder anxienty). I think thats the biggest reason sc2 doesnt have much players, people dont like to lose 50% of the time, when there is nobody else to blame for except yourself.

On October 15 2013 19:46 Grumbels wrote:
Brood War doesn't have the 12 minute roach max. I think it's a degenerate strategy: focus purely on economy and then purely on army, attack at maximum supply. It's a strategy not befitting a so-called strategy game, because it's the most simplistic one you could possibly think of. And it's all because zerg has so much production power to turn towards either economy or army, they have no limitations. It might not be imbalanced, but there is no strategic depth to it and it's quite sad that it's such a viable way to play.


The zerg can only do that if the opponent doesnt harass at all. If you dont get pressured, why should u build units? If you dont lose drones, ofc you can hit such a timing, thats more the fault of the opponent though.
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
October 15 2013 11:02 GMT
#1719
On October 15 2013 19:46 Grumbels wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 19:25 The_Red_Viper wrote:
On October 15 2013 18:09 Rabiator wrote:
On October 15 2013 17:44 KeksX wrote:
@Rabiator:

Most of what you said is true for BW as well, though. I played casually and won 99% of my games because I simply overran my opponent with more units. I was never really good, though, so I don't know about high level play.
But I do know that in SC2, in high level play it's not that simple anymore.

I do agree, however, on another point:
Many tmes it's your opponent screwing up, not you winning. HOWEVER, in SC2, to make that more even, you can FORCE your opponent to screw up. Maybe while he spreads marines against your banelings, you snipe a medivac, or tanks, or buildings etc.

I also agree that SC2 has very different skillsets, even fewer in some regards compared to BW, but it is no "skillless ded gjaem".

As for new players:
Sora, Xenocider, a lot of koreans "coming out of their shell", Welmu has been pretty good and gets a lot better now. The problem is that people don't recognize "old players" getting better. For them its just reading COMPLETELY new names in big tournaments... This almost never happens in other games, and it won't happen in SC2.

Obviously any "competitive resource management game" has to deal with the problem of potential mass production, BUT since SC2 has a far higher economy AND production boosts the swings from peaceful buildup to arms production are more drastic. In addition to this SC2 does not have a defenders advantage AND there are those "go around the defense" - stuff like Warp Gate or Reapers - or even the straight up bust with Banelings and this really screws up a lot of defensive potential. This makes SC2 far far FAR too much focused on the offensive side of the game.

BW was less economy and lower unit density and thus any sudden swing in production could be delayed by a few defensively minded units like Siege Tanks or Lurkers and gave you enough time to react. In SC2 you dont have that potential of a slow down, because of the automatically maximized unit density and the far too big efficiency against smaller numbers because of this.

----

EDIT: The key difference between BW and SC2 really is the "dosis" and SC2 has far too much of many things:
- unit density
- economy
- unit production
- unit "utility" (unlimited selection, smartcast, ..)
This all adds up to an unhealthy package which makes the game volatile and coinflippy. BW on the other hand had the UI limitations which slowed everything down to a manageable speed which was fair to both the attacker AND the defender.


I cant really agree on your point that sc2 has problem with the army buildup being too drastic. terran and protoss should build army all the time and zerg has the larva to react to sudden attacks. If you wanna blame the game that you cant be even greedier than you are right now, well thats kinda redundant, there is always a point where you have to make some units^^

I also hate that people bring up the volatile aspect every time, it maybe is more volatile than BW, but it isnt volatile enough to completely destroy the competition, as you can see in nearly every tournament, the best players always get far.

Brood War doesn't have the 12 minute roach max. I think it's a degenerate strategy: focus purely on economy and then purely on army, attack at maximum supply. It's a strategy not befitting a so-called strategy game, because it's the most simplistic one you could possibly think of. And it's all because zerg has so much production power to turn towards either economy or army, they have no limitations. It might not be imbalanced, but there is no strategic depth to it and it's quite sad that it's such a viable way to play.


And HotS doesn't have it either.
Too_MuchZerg
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Finland2818 Posts
October 15 2013 11:13 GMT
#1720
On October 15 2013 17:40 Liquid`Ret wrote:
I'd really like this thread to not keep popping up on the left side of the forum.


Its easy to fix. Just go to "Site Setings" (just below Liquibets) and remove SC2 from being active. No more this thread appearing at left side of the forum.
Prev 1 84 85 86 87 88 103 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 26m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Zeus 496
Larva 114
Hyun 49
NotJumperer 48
Killer 43
scan(afreeca) 35
Bale 32
ajuk12(nOOB) 16
Hm[arnc] 13
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto124
League of Legends
JimRising 484
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1188
edward231
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King107
Other Games
summit1g7731
Coldzera 708
ceh9586
Happy283
Sick139
crisheroes129
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick566
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2307
League of Legends
• Jankos1028
• Stunt351
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
1h 26m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2h 26m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
15h 26m
Patches Events
1d 7h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.