• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:33
CEST 11:33
KST 18:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8852 users

StarCraft 2: What's The Problem - Page 84

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 82 83 84 85 86 103 Next
Qwyn
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2781 Posts
October 14 2013 16:27 GMT
#1661
I think it speaks volumes that the only MU I enjoy (coincidentally the flagship matchup of SC2) is ZvT/TvZ. And it is NO coincidence that this MU happens to be the most mechanical of all...People have said it time and time again, but there are limiting dymanics in the other MUs which make them far less enjoyable than ZvT which I feel epitomizes the direction the game should move for all MUs.

+ Show Spoiler +
(And of course, Protoss represents all that is wrong with game design).
"Think of the hysteria following the realization that they consciously consume babies and raise the dead people from their graves" - N0
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12559 Posts
October 14 2013 16:28 GMT
#1662
On October 15 2013 01:18 JustPassingBy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 01:10 ETisME wrote:
I am not understanding this at all.
SC2 mechanics is about how well you control your units as well as macro behind etc.
then things like "if I go there he goes there" should be tactics, no? why would that be mechanics (in SC2 definition)

I mean you playing faster doesn't mean you are going to get a triple flank just because you play fast. you have to use tactics to get the enemy into that location and then goes in with the flank


The best tactic is useless if you don't have the mechanics to carry it out well enough though. Your mechanics determine which tactics are viable for you.


Yeah but the execution of chess tactics isn't hard. It's not hard to threaten a fork or a skewer. It's hard to create a position where your opponent has no choice but to fall to these tactics. That's why it doesn't really make sense to put this under mechanics.
No will to live, no wish to die
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12889 Posts
October 14 2013 16:38 GMT
#1663
On October 15 2013 01:27 Qwyn wrote:
I think it speaks volumes that the only MU I enjoy (coincidentally the flagship matchup of SC2) is ZvT/TvZ. And it is NO coincidence that this MU happens to be the most mechanical of all...People have said it time and time again, but there are limiting dymanics in the other MUs which make them far less enjoyable than ZvT which I feel epitomizes the direction the game should move for all MUs.

+ Show Spoiler +
(And of course, Protoss represents all that is wrong with game design).

I actually think you are the minority here
From what I read, most other people prefer zvp then every other match ups and it is because how diverse the unit composition can be
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
RampancyTW
Profile Joined August 2010
United States577 Posts
October 14 2013 16:43 GMT
#1664
On October 15 2013 01:38 ETisME wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 01:27 Qwyn wrote:
I think it speaks volumes that the only MU I enjoy (coincidentally the flagship matchup of SC2) is ZvT/TvZ. And it is NO coincidence that this MU happens to be the most mechanical of all...People have said it time and time again, but there are limiting dymanics in the other MUs which make them far less enjoyable than ZvT which I feel epitomizes the direction the game should move for all MUs.

+ Show Spoiler +
(And of course, Protoss represents all that is wrong with game design).

I actually think you are the minority here
From what I read, most other people prefer zvp then every other match ups and it is because how diverse the unit composition can be
As a corollary to this, I really enjoy when the BW enthusiasts complain about ZvZ being a roach wars matchup when roach wars are, at their core, a highly mechanical contest of maintaining macro, eking out advantages with micro and positioning, and stretching out armies as thin as possible to do damage in as many places at once.

It should be a BW enthusiast's wet dream, but they hate it for some inexplicable reason.
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
October 14 2013 16:46 GMT
#1665
On October 15 2013 01:28 Nebuchad wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 01:18 JustPassingBy wrote:
On October 15 2013 01:10 ETisME wrote:
I am not understanding this at all.
SC2 mechanics is about how well you control your units as well as macro behind etc.
then things like "if I go there he goes there" should be tactics, no? why would that be mechanics (in SC2 definition)

I mean you playing faster doesn't mean you are going to get a triple flank just because you play fast. you have to use tactics to get the enemy into that location and then goes in with the flank


The best tactic is useless if you don't have the mechanics to carry it out well enough though. Your mechanics determine which tactics are viable for you.


Yeah but the execution of chess tactics isn't hard. It's not hard to threaten a fork or a skewer. It's hard to create a position where your opponent has no choice but to fall to these tactics. That's why it doesn't really make sense to put this under mechanics.

"I can see the combinations as well as Alekhine, but I cannot get to the same positions." ~Rudolf Spielmann.

Alekhine was world champion in chess for 15+ years.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
JustPassingBy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
10776 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-14 16:54:59
October 14 2013 16:52 GMT
#1666
On October 15 2013 01:28 Nebuchad wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 01:18 JustPassingBy wrote:
On October 15 2013 01:10 ETisME wrote:
I am not understanding this at all.
SC2 mechanics is about how well you control your units as well as macro behind etc.
then things like "if I go there he goes there" should be tactics, no? why would that be mechanics (in SC2 definition)

I mean you playing faster doesn't mean you are going to get a triple flank just because you play fast. you have to use tactics to get the enemy into that location and then goes in with the flank


The best tactic is useless if you don't have the mechanics to carry it out well enough though. Your mechanics determine which tactics are viable for you.


Yeah but the execution of chess tactics isn't hard. It's not hard to threaten a fork or a skewer. It's hard to create a position where your opponent has no choice but to fall to these tactics. That's why it doesn't really make sense to put this under mechanics.


Eh? But I was talking about sc2, or did I misunderstood the post I quoted? It also clearly mentions sc2... <.<

edit:

On October 15 2013 01:26 ETisME wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 01:18 JustPassingBy wrote:
On October 15 2013 01:10 ETisME wrote:
I am not understanding this at all.
SC2 mechanics is about how well you control your units as well as macro behind etc.
then things like "if I go there he goes there" should be tactics, no? why would that be mechanics (in SC2 definition)

I mean you playing faster doesn't mean you are going to get a triple flank just because you play fast. you have to use tactics to get the enemy into that location and then goes in with the flank


The best tactic is useless if you don't have the mechanics to carry it out well enough though. Your mechanics determine which tactics are viable for you.

the option of tactics is limited for a player's tactical mind as well.
for example, bomber can do a HSM medivac suicide move and only him has done it so far because no others have the tactical mind like he has.

honestly this is just arguing for the balance between rewarding a faster player or a more tactical and strategic player.
Right now he is arguing for 80% should be for a better mechanic player, but by mechanics, he means a player who can execute a game plan better, not a player who can play faster, which sounds to me, that is a better tactical player because faster doesn't mean you are executing better.


The lack of a player's tactical mind can be compensated by a good coach though, so I wouldn't say that it is a limiting factor.
XXXSmOke
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States1333 Posts
October 14 2013 16:53 GMT
#1667
On October 15 2013 01:26 ETisME wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 01:18 JustPassingBy wrote:
On October 15 2013 01:10 ETisME wrote:
I am not understanding this at all.
SC2 mechanics is about how well you control your units as well as macro behind etc.
then things like "if I go there he goes there" should be tactics, no? why would that be mechanics (in SC2 definition)

I mean you playing faster doesn't mean you are going to get a triple flank just because you play fast. you have to use tactics to get the enemy into that location and then goes in with the flank


The best tactic is useless if you don't have the mechanics to carry it out well enough though. Your mechanics determine which tactics are viable for you.

the option of tactics is limited for a player's tactical mind as well.
for example, bomber can do a HSM medivac suicide move and only him has done it so far because no others have the tactical mind like he has.

honestly this is just arguing for the balance between rewarding a faster player or a more tactical and strategic player.
Right now he is arguing for 80% should be for a better mechanic player, but by mechanics, he means a player who can execute a game plan better, not a player who can play faster, which sounds to me, that is a better tactical player because faster doesn't mean you are executing better.


No people are misunderstanding again...

Faster/better mechanics/tactics should be the 80% of the skill cap as we saw in BW. 20% of the game should be overall strategy such as openings, late game strategy etc. Once again a plan is a strategy mechanics is executing the strategy through being fast/tactical/precise etc

As I said earlier an example of a strategy is "I am going to go 2 rax pressure early on in TvP' Then the mechanics are the running low hp units back/focus firing/positioning. I am claiming that there is not enough of this in SC2 for many reasons. The AI is to effective. The resources in the game really only make it so you only need 3 bases. And the terrible terrible damage makes battles end to quickly for a players superior micro to turn it around. With the current state of SC2 the pro players have gotten to a point in the game where they are to close to the skill cieling cap in the game(I am not saying anybody's perfect) because the game does not have as high of skill ceiling cap to make it as competitive and cut throat as it could be at the pro level.
Emperor? Boxer disapproves. He's building bunkers at your mom's house even as you're reading this.
Qwyn
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2781 Posts
October 14 2013 16:54 GMT
#1668
On October 15 2013 01:38 ETisME wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 01:27 Qwyn wrote:
I think it speaks volumes that the only MU I enjoy (coincidentally the flagship matchup of SC2) is ZvT/TvZ. And it is NO coincidence that this MU happens to be the most mechanical of all...People have said it time and time again, but there are limiting dymanics in the other MUs which make them far less enjoyable than ZvT which I feel epitomizes the direction the game should move for all MUs.

+ Show Spoiler +
(And of course, Protoss represents all that is wrong with game design).

I actually think you are the minority here
From what I read, most other people prefer zvp then every other match ups and it is because how diverse the unit composition can be


I don't think so, lol.

I think - "most people prefer ZvT now compared to the shitfest it used to be," is more accurate. But I still think ZvT is and will be (no matter the "balance-state,") the matchup that draws all the gamers to the yard. I mean, I'm not capable of providing stream numbers, but I would not be surprised if viewer fluctuations coincided with MU with ZvT at the top (obviously this isn't completely accurate overall since player popularity/time/tournament bracket has a lot to do with it too).
"Think of the hysteria following the realization that they consciously consume babies and raise the dead people from their graves" - N0
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12889 Posts
October 14 2013 16:56 GMT
#1669
I think we should all leave the chess stuff out. It's way too confusing.
What I meant is that while chess says "if he goes there I go there" is mechanics, it is not the same as the mechanics defined by sc2 which is micro and macro faster.
And so his argument for sc2 to become 80 percent mechanics is wrong
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
October 14 2013 16:56 GMT
#1670
On October 15 2013 01:43 RampancyTW wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 01:38 ETisME wrote:
On October 15 2013 01:27 Qwyn wrote:
I think it speaks volumes that the only MU I enjoy (coincidentally the flagship matchup of SC2) is ZvT/TvZ. And it is NO coincidence that this MU happens to be the most mechanical of all...People have said it time and time again, but there are limiting dymanics in the other MUs which make them far less enjoyable than ZvT which I feel epitomizes the direction the game should move for all MUs.

+ Show Spoiler +
(And of course, Protoss represents all that is wrong with game design).

I actually think you are the minority here
From what I read, most other people prefer zvp then every other match ups and it is because how diverse the unit composition can be
As a corollary to this, I really enjoy when the BW enthusiasts complain about ZvZ being a roach wars matchup when roach wars are, at their core, a highly mechanical contest of maintaining macro, eking out advantages with micro and positioning, and stretching out armies as thin as possible to do damage in as many places at once.

It should be a BW enthusiast's wet dream, but they hate it for some inexplicable reason.


I am not BW elitist, in fact i just got into broodwar, but its not really the same at all. Roachwars arent about micro, they are only about positioning BEFORE the engagement happens and then fungal, fungal, infested terran.
I agree that it can be fun (when some highlvl zerg play it) cause of multitasking with small roach groups, but the actuall big engagements are about as bad as it can get in sc2.
Blingwars are way more fun to watch and to some extend i think muta ling was more fun too, (i think it rewarded better mechanics way more than roachwars).
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
Qwyn
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2781 Posts
October 14 2013 16:57 GMT
#1671
On October 15 2013 01:43 RampancyTW wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 01:38 ETisME wrote:
On October 15 2013 01:27 Qwyn wrote:
I think it speaks volumes that the only MU I enjoy (coincidentally the flagship matchup of SC2) is ZvT/TvZ. And it is NO coincidence that this MU happens to be the most mechanical of all...People have said it time and time again, but there are limiting dymanics in the other MUs which make them far less enjoyable than ZvT which I feel epitomizes the direction the game should move for all MUs.

+ Show Spoiler +
(And of course, Protoss represents all that is wrong with game design).

I actually think you are the minority here
From what I read, most other people prefer zvp then every other match ups and it is because how diverse the unit composition can be
As a corollary to this, I really enjoy when the BW enthusiasts complain about ZvZ being a roach wars matchup when roach wars are, at their core, a highly mechanical contest of maintaining macro, eking out advantages with micro and positioning, and stretching out armies as thin as possible to do damage in as many places at once.

It should be a BW enthusiast's wet dream, but they hate it for some inexplicable reason.


Gonna have to disagree.

Roach itself is about the most bland, boring unit you'll ever see. Micro consists soley of getting a better arc. Roach wars are actually, macro simplified. You can't even make a COMPARISON to ZvZ in BW so I don't understand why you would try.

One is fast paced, immediate, cutthroat and deadly (the thing that compares to this is ling/bane wars in SC2 - you used the wrong comparison) and the other slow, bland and boring...
"Think of the hysteria following the realization that they consciously consume babies and raise the dead people from their graves" - N0
XXXSmOke
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States1333 Posts
October 14 2013 17:02 GMT
#1672
On October 15 2013 01:54 Qwyn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 01:38 ETisME wrote:
On October 15 2013 01:27 Qwyn wrote:
I think it speaks volumes that the only MU I enjoy (coincidentally the flagship matchup of SC2) is ZvT/TvZ. And it is NO coincidence that this MU happens to be the most mechanical of all...People have said it time and time again, but there are limiting dymanics in the other MUs which make them far less enjoyable than ZvT which I feel epitomizes the direction the game should move for all MUs.

+ Show Spoiler +
(And of course, Protoss represents all that is wrong with game design).

I actually think you are the minority here
From what I read, most other people prefer zvp then every other match ups and it is because how diverse the unit composition can be


I don't think so, lol.

I think - "most people prefer ZvT now compared to the shitfest it used to be," is more accurate. But I still think ZvT is and will be (no matter the "balance-state,") the matchup that draws all the gamers to the yard. I mean, I'm not capable of providing stream numbers, but I would not be surprised if viewer fluctuations coincided with MU with ZvT at the top (obviously this isn't completely accurate overall since player popularity/time/tournament bracket has a lot to do with it too).


Exactly, even though ZvT is horrible right now if you back to good times of TvZ pre infest/BL the MU was by far the best thing weve had in SC2 by a LONGSHOT.

You had tons of different openings all with there own strategy's people had to think about.

The mechanics were grueling micro managing the tank leap frog push with drops and making sure you always knew where the Z army was. The creep spread the splits, the muta harass, the positioning, the economy. It was insane and it was mainly mechanics so the better player would usually win and it created many amazing games. Then infestor/Bl came about and it turned more into a strategy game. The Z would just turtle and then get the unbeatable army that required significantly less mechanics to execute and TvZ was gone.
Emperor? Boxer disapproves. He's building bunkers at your mom's house even as you're reading this.
RampancyTW
Profile Joined August 2010
United States577 Posts
October 14 2013 17:04 GMT
#1673
On October 15 2013 01:57 Qwyn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 01:43 RampancyTW wrote:
On October 15 2013 01:38 ETisME wrote:
On October 15 2013 01:27 Qwyn wrote:
I think it speaks volumes that the only MU I enjoy (coincidentally the flagship matchup of SC2) is ZvT/TvZ. And it is NO coincidence that this MU happens to be the most mechanical of all...People have said it time and time again, but there are limiting dymanics in the other MUs which make them far less enjoyable than ZvT which I feel epitomizes the direction the game should move for all MUs.

+ Show Spoiler +
(And of course, Protoss represents all that is wrong with game design).

I actually think you are the minority here
From what I read, most other people prefer zvp then every other match ups and it is because how diverse the unit composition can be
As a corollary to this, I really enjoy when the BW enthusiasts complain about ZvZ being a roach wars matchup when roach wars are, at their core, a highly mechanical contest of maintaining macro, eking out advantages with micro and positioning, and stretching out armies as thin as possible to do damage in as many places at once.

It should be a BW enthusiast's wet dream, but they hate it for some inexplicable reason.


Gonna have to disagree.

Roach itself is about the most bland, boring unit you'll ever see. Micro consists soley of getting a better arc. Roach wars are actually, macro simplified. You can't even make a COMPARISON to ZvZ in BW so I don't understand why you would try.

One is fast paced, immediate, cutthroat and deadly (the thing that compares to this is ling/bane wars in SC2 - you used the wrong comparison) and the other slow, bland and boring...
Not trying to compare it to BW ZvZ. Just saying that is pretty much a giant mechanics fest with both players trying to eke out tiny advantages wherever they can.

The big engagements themselves might not be "exciting" but it's very easy to see who the better player is in roach wars.
Qwyn
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2781 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-14 17:09:51
October 14 2013 17:07 GMT
#1674
On October 15 2013 02:04 RampancyTW wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 01:57 Qwyn wrote:
On October 15 2013 01:43 RampancyTW wrote:
On October 15 2013 01:38 ETisME wrote:
On October 15 2013 01:27 Qwyn wrote:
I think it speaks volumes that the only MU I enjoy (coincidentally the flagship matchup of SC2) is ZvT/TvZ. And it is NO coincidence that this MU happens to be the most mechanical of all...People have said it time and time again, but there are limiting dymanics in the other MUs which make them far less enjoyable than ZvT which I feel epitomizes the direction the game should move for all MUs.

+ Show Spoiler +
(And of course, Protoss represents all that is wrong with game design).

I actually think you are the minority here
From what I read, most other people prefer zvp then every other match ups and it is because how diverse the unit composition can be
As a corollary to this, I really enjoy when the BW enthusiasts complain about ZvZ being a roach wars matchup when roach wars are, at their core, a highly mechanical contest of maintaining macro, eking out advantages with micro and positioning, and stretching out armies as thin as possible to do damage in as many places at once.

It should be a BW enthusiast's wet dream, but they hate it for some inexplicable reason.


Gonna have to disagree.

Roach itself is about the most bland, boring unit you'll ever see. Micro consists soley of getting a better arc. Roach wars are actually, macro simplified. You can't even make a COMPARISON to ZvZ in BW so I don't understand why you would try.

One is fast paced, immediate, cutthroat and deadly (the thing that compares to this is ling/bane wars in SC2 - you used the wrong comparison) and the other slow, bland and boring...
Not trying to compare it to BW ZvZ. Just saying that is pretty much a giant mechanics fest with both players trying to eke out tiny advantages wherever they can.

The big engagements themselves might not be "exciting" but it's very easy to see who the better player is in roach wars.


Well you're arguing the standpoint of BW enthusiasts - who are going to compare it to their own variant of the MU...so...It's only natural such a comparison would be made.

There's a distinct lack of excitement in roach wars - perhaps why BW players aren't enthusiastic about it:

- They have waaay more macro in all of their respective MUs.
- They have unit engagements and interactions that are exciting (in the case of ZvZ, explosive! They might like ling/bane wars ^_^).

The thing is that the way players in roach wars "eke out advantages," are boring, they are minimal and they are not varied. Two players macroing well? It comes down to the advantages gained and lost before the roach transition - and then enagement and positioning. That's it. Most of the time the game is won or lost before the roach wars even begin.

If the opposing player turtles up then, once again, it's a game of who can have the better arc. That's hardly exciting or variant micro/macro. I think you consider the BW player to be a mindless automaton who only wants micro/macro - and does not care for the QUALITY of it? I'd argue the reverse ^_^.
"Think of the hysteria following the realization that they consciously consume babies and raise the dead people from their graves" - N0
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
October 14 2013 17:07 GMT
#1675
When was the last time a player switched to SC2?
starleague forever
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12889 Posts
October 14 2013 17:08 GMT
#1676
On October 15 2013 01:54 Qwyn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 01:38 ETisME wrote:
On October 15 2013 01:27 Qwyn wrote:
I think it speaks volumes that the only MU I enjoy (coincidentally the flagship matchup of SC2) is ZvT/TvZ. And it is NO coincidence that this MU happens to be the most mechanical of all...People have said it time and time again, but there are limiting dymanics in the other MUs which make them far less enjoyable than ZvT which I feel epitomizes the direction the game should move for all MUs.

+ Show Spoiler +
(And of course, Protoss represents all that is wrong with game design).

I actually think you are the minority here
From what I read, most other people prefer zvp then every other match ups and it is because how diverse the unit composition can be


I don't think so, lol.

I think - "most people prefer ZvT now compared to the shitfest it used to be," is more accurate. But I still think ZvT is and will be (no matter the "balance-state,") the matchup that draws all the gamers to the yard. I mean, I'm not capable of providing stream numbers, but I would not be surprised if viewer fluctuations coincided with MU with ZvT at the top (obviously this isn't completely accurate overall since player popularity/time/tournament bracket has a lot to do with it too).

I am fairly sure more people think zvp is better than ZvT now though, I watch a lot and post a lot lol
It is an improved matchup, don't get me wrong but a lot of people are bored with bio mine style which happens 24/7 in all maps.
Lack of unit diversity and too much on momentum rather than small run by pressure and players with different style and adapting to different maps.
I think this is also why biomine is getting phrased out and make room for mech and bio tank buffs to keep the match up more diverse
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-14 17:18:48
October 14 2013 17:12 GMT
#1677
I can't help but think that we are not considering the question of mechanics versus strategy from the right perspective.

I'm reminded of football practice last week where I ended up injured early on, having to be content watching the others play for an hour. I thought that was illuminating, I was in a critical mood and I could constantly point out mistakes someone would make: trying to shoot a ball while off-balance, doing a defensive pass in a risky situation, a feint that was too telegraphed and obvious, not electing to shield the ball properly during a tense encounter. Football is considered almost purely an athletic sport, with strategy being the purview of coaches more so than the individual players. Nevertheless, all the mistakes that I mentioned just now are the result of flawed decision making.

I think it's difficult to separate mechanical ability from decision making skills. It's true that there are some purely physical aspects such as strength and speed, but in many situations the main skill is what people usually call game intelligence or game sense. Consider that the most efficient brood war players weren't necessarily the ones that could execute the most actions per minute.

Rewarding mechanical ability doesn't lead to rewarding one-dimensional players or robots.

I think being adept at e.g. prioritizing your attention shows more profound understanding of strategic concepts than deciding which standard build order you want to try this map.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Qwyn
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2781 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-14 17:16:44
October 14 2013 17:15 GMT
#1678
On October 15 2013 02:08 ETisME wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 01:54 Qwyn wrote:
On October 15 2013 01:38 ETisME wrote:
On October 15 2013 01:27 Qwyn wrote:
I think it speaks volumes that the only MU I enjoy (coincidentally the flagship matchup of SC2) is ZvT/TvZ. And it is NO coincidence that this MU happens to be the most mechanical of all...People have said it time and time again, but there are limiting dymanics in the other MUs which make them far less enjoyable than ZvT which I feel epitomizes the direction the game should move for all MUs.

+ Show Spoiler +
(And of course, Protoss represents all that is wrong with game design).

I actually think you are the minority here
From what I read, most other people prefer zvp then every other match ups and it is because how diverse the unit composition can be


I don't think so, lol.

I think - "most people prefer ZvT now compared to the shitfest it used to be," is more accurate. But I still think ZvT is and will be (no matter the "balance-state,") the matchup that draws all the gamers to the yard. I mean, I'm not capable of providing stream numbers, but I would not be surprised if viewer fluctuations coincided with MU with ZvT at the top (obviously this isn't completely accurate overall since player popularity/time/tournament bracket has a lot to do with it too).

I am fairly sure more people think zvp is better than ZvT now though, I watch a lot and post a lot lol
It is an improved matchup, don't get me wrong but a lot of people are bored with bio mine style which happens 24/7 in all maps.
Lack of unit diversity and too much on momentum rather than small run by pressure and players with different style and adapting to different maps.
I think this is also why biomine is getting phrased out and make room for mech and bio tank buffs to keep the match up more diverse


Well without anything more concrete to give I can only stand on my own opinions, which aren't worth much. The lack of unit diversity you mention ISN'T a problem though! The game has always been like this. It's about unit DEPTH, not the amount of units used...

I'd say that ZvT is only evolving to be more complex and nuanced. Sure some break up might be good, but these sorts of pressures are only good in the long run. If bio-mine gets phased out it will be to mine-based mech, and I "pray to God" that this does not happen. It's like infestor broodlord for both sides.

There's this idea that somehow compositons get stale and that things should be mixed up...do that enough and people will always want to go back to the core of the MU...It's highly mechanical (high influence of player skill), and I would say the opposite of ZvP (which after a certain point, plays to reads and chance/luck).

I just don't think that's right. ZvT has the most action of any MU barring PvP/TvP over a longer period of time and sustained constantly, it is asymettric and has a high mechanical skillcap. How that can compare to ZvP I have no idea. As I said, compared to ZvP of WoL, by hell it's more interesting than it was, but other than that...
"Think of the hysteria following the realization that they consciously consume babies and raise the dead people from their graves" - N0
Headshot
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1656 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-14 17:24:43
October 14 2013 17:17 GMT
#1679
On October 15 2013 00:25 KeksX wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 00:16 Headshot wrote:
All I know is that one of the casters during the finals yesterday called Naniwa's micro "legendary" because he was pulling hurt Void Rays to the back. That is what really spoke to me about the current state of Starcraft 2.


Im sorry but this shows exactly why this discussion is useless. You post a quote, uncomplete and with relevant context missing, dont even mention who said it and the make a big conclusion you dont even tell us.

You expect a decent discussion out of this? You expect constructive posts after this?

You people will never learn. Your subjective "arguments" and sensationalist opinions are not helping at all.

Xeris made a decent post and instead of using it as a basis you just shit on whatever topic is hot in sc2. You, my friend, are the true indication of the current state of sc2.

The exact quote was "Naniwa's micro is legendary!" from one of the two casters of the finals, I'm not familiar with either of them, or I could tell you exactly who said it.

And as far as "you just shit on whatever topic is hot in sc2" goes, lack of micro, counterplay, and a high mechanical skill ceiling has been a hot topic in Starcraft 2 discussions since its release.

To be completely honest with you, at the risk of totally invalidating my input, yesterday's finals between Naniwa and Life was the first complete series of Starcraft 2 games that I've watched since 2011, but reading through this thread and discovering that people are still arguing over the same bullshit they were in 2010/2011 is hilarious. Either Blizzard has made little to no progress, or the common Team Liquid poster will never be happy with the state of the game, most likely a little of both.

I frankly agree 100% with the OP, and have been disappointed in how Blizzard has handled Starcraft 2's creation, balance, Battle.net 2.0, customer interactions/input, etc, and nothing has changed in four years. I wish Starcraft 2 good live up to its predecessor, but until something changes, I wont regret moving on to greener pastures.
-
RampancyTW
Profile Joined August 2010
United States577 Posts
October 14 2013 17:23 GMT
#1680
On October 15 2013 02:17 Headshot wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2013 00:25 KeksX wrote:
On October 15 2013 00:16 Headshot wrote:
All I know is that one of the casters during the finals yesterday called Naniwa's micro "legendary" because he was pulling hurt Void Rays to the back. That is what really spoke to me about the current state of Starcraft 2.


Im sorry but this shows exactly why this discussion is useless. You post a quote, uncomplete and with relevant context missing, dont even mention who said it and the make a big conclusion you dont even tell us.

You expect a decent discussion out of this? You expect constructive posts after this?

You people will never learn. Your subjective "arguments" and sensationalist opinions are not helping at all.

Xeris made a decent post and instead of using it as a basis you just shit on whatever topic is hot in sc2. You, my friend, are the true indication of the current state of sc2.

The exact quote was "Naniwa's micro is legendary!" from one of the two casters of the finals, I'm not familiar with either of them, or I could tell you exactly who said it.

And as far as "you just shit on whatever topic is hot in sc2" goes, lack of micro, counterplay, and a high mechanical skill ceiling has been a hot topic in Starcraft 2 discussions since its release.

And to be completely honest with you, at the of totally invalidating my input, yesterday's finals between Naniwa and Life was the first complete series of Starcraft 2 games that I've watched since 2011, but reading through this thread and discovering that people are still arguing over the same bulllshit they were in 2010/2011 is hilarious.
These "hot topics" are all complaints about lack of player ability, not about the game.

People have been complaining about the skill ceiling being too low since release. Current mid-masters players would stomp on 2011 pros via execution alone.

And I have no idea why you're equating terrible casting with terrible gameplay.
Prev 1 82 83 84 85 86 103 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 27m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech14
StarCraft: Brood War
Zeus 410
Horang2 320
Larva 269
EffOrt 247
Mind 65
Hyun 55
scan(afreeca) 47
sorry 45
Pusan 43
ggaemo 43
[ Show more ]
Killer 42
Bale 41
NotJumperer 38
Sharp 33
Sacsri 19
Shinee 19
Barracks 18
Yoon 15
Hm[arnc] 12
Noble 5
Dota 2
febbydoto103
League of Legends
JimRising 404
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1240
edward178
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King105
Other Games
summit1g7831
ceh9663
Happy450
crisheroes193
Sick172
dupreeh76
Pyrionflax7
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick557
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• LUISG 0
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2282
League of Legends
• Jankos1076
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
27m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1h 27m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
14h 27m
Patches Events
1d 6h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.