• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:44
CEST 23:44
KST 06:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)50Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9956 users

2.0.4 FAQ: Unranked, Bonus Pool, Leave League - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Nimix
Profile Joined October 2011
France1809 Posts
March 01 2013 18:11 GMT
#41
I've got a low master's MMR in WoL, and when I went to play 2 unranked games I was matched against gold players. I think it's because I did the 3 "placement" matches against AI before, that placed me in AI gold league (lulz), and the system might be stupid and/or broken. Sorry to the 2 goldies that played a depressing game because of that
ffadicted
Profile Joined January 2011
United States3545 Posts
March 01 2013 19:24 GMT
#42
I just came back from months and months of not playing WoL and my MMR was fully reset (as expected) and I played 5 placement matches and am now in a league.... I havn't played any Unranked matches, so if you want me to Leave League and test out your theory about it using Unranked MMR if it can (causing 1 placement match) and resetting if it can't (causing 5 placement matches), let me know. I would expect to play 5 more in this case.
SooYoung-Noona!
digmouse
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
China6331 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-01 19:29:40
March 01 2013 19:28 GMT
#43
On March 01 2013 22:55 Wertheron wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 01 2013 22:51 digmouse wrote:
On March 01 2013 22:47 Wertheron wrote:
Just to be sure. I have two profile in plat, and my wife want to test sc2 in multi (before she was just playing against AI). Now with "leaving league", could i sent one of my profile into bronze ?


Two 1v1 ladders? That doesn't seem likely. Or are you talking about 2v2?


Yes i have two accounts in Plat 1v1. I wanted to demote the training account (now i have unranked to play without pressure) for her in bronze. If "leaving league" is faster than 54 free looses, could be cool


Don't play any ranked game including team games on that account for an entire season and your MMR will be reset aka 5 placement matches. Don't try losing streak to demote youself tho, it's against the ToS and could get you banned.

Or she can just play in unranked, it would only take a few losses to stablize her unranked MMR.
TranslatorIf you want to ask anything about Chinese esports, send me a PM or follow me @nerddigmouse.
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12257 Posts
March 01 2013 19:45 GMT
#44
On March 02 2013 04:24 ffadicted wrote:
I just came back from months and months of not playing WoL and my MMR was fully reset (as expected) and I played 5 placement matches and am now in a league.... I havn't played any Unranked matches, so if you want me to Leave League and test out your theory about it using Unranked MMR if it can (causing 1 placement match) and resetting if it can't (causing 5 placement matches), let me know. I would expect to play 5 more in this case.


By all means, if you don't mind doing that =)
Moderator
TmzZ666
Profile Joined November 2010
Poland144 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-01 20:42:37
March 01 2013 20:28 GMT
#45
On March 01 2013 21:10 digmouse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 01 2013 20:30 TmzZ666 wrote:
Im liking the new changes in general, but how about giving us some stats, like:
- matchup winrate,
- map winrate,
- matchup map winrate,
Put it on loading screen plus some tab in a profile to browse?
Easy stuff and so much helpful. Anyone on this?

EDIT:
And vs players history if applicable. I would love them stats!


You haven't checked your profile page right...? There are already map and MU stats in patch 2.0.4.



Sorry, not logged to WoL since got Beta in my hands
Its time to go with it. Still i would see more statistics, gotta just love them.


EDIT:
Where the fuck is my profile, its gone?! Nice patch (
Nerski
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1095 Posts
March 01 2013 23:21 GMT
#46
Good write up Z.
Twitter: @GoForNerski /// Youtube: Youtube.com/nerskisc
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
March 01 2013 23:32 GMT
#47
On March 01 2013 19:04 Soundwave12 wrote:
sounds good my only concern with the leave league thing is this. Wont it make it quite easy to smurf? For example a diamond who want to have some "fun" ripping up bronzes leaves leagues, loses placement matches, places in bronze and there we go. If he want to go back to diamond he'll be there in a week since he'll just crush everything game after game up till he hits high plat...

and wouldnt this make portrait farming quite easy too, with the same technique... if you are a decent player you just go for it, once you get to much competition, leave league and restart from bronze...

I imagine "Leave League" is exactly the same as playing the first match of a season. The Placement match does absolutely nothing to determine your league, it just effects your MMR the same as any other game.

So your diamond player would leave his league, play his placement, throw it, and then...get placed back wherever his MMR determines is correct.

The only time your MMR is reset is after a very long break, as in several months/multiple season, which isn't very abusable.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
ffadicted
Profile Joined January 2011
United States3545 Posts
March 02 2013 04:52 GMT
#48
On March 02 2013 04:45 Excalibur_Z wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2013 04:24 ffadicted wrote:
I just came back from months and months of not playing WoL and my MMR was fully reset (as expected) and I played 5 placement matches and am now in a league.... I havn't played any Unranked matches, so if you want me to Leave League and test out your theory about it using Unranked MMR if it can (causing 1 placement match) and resetting if it can't (causing 5 placement matches), let me know. I would expect to play 5 more in this case.


By all means, if you don't mind doing that =)


Hmm interesting... I left the league, and the message that popped up clearly said it would not affect my MMR... yet when I go to matchmaking, it now tells me I have 5 placement matches remaining (as expected).... not sure what to make of that, I wonder if it will start my placement matches at my regular MMR maybe?
SooYoung-Noona!
y0su
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Finland7871 Posts
March 02 2013 17:06 GMT
#49
On March 02 2013 13:52 ffadicted wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 02 2013 04:45 Excalibur_Z wrote:
On March 02 2013 04:24 ffadicted wrote:
I just came back from months and months of not playing WoL and my MMR was fully reset (as expected) and I played 5 placement matches and am now in a league.... I havn't played any Unranked matches, so if you want me to Leave League and test out your theory about it using Unranked MMR if it can (causing 1 placement match) and resetting if it can't (causing 5 placement matches), let me know. I would expect to play 5 more in this case.


By all means, if you don't mind doing that =)


Hmm interesting... I left the league, and the message that popped up clearly said it would not affect my MMR... yet when I go to matchmaking, it now tells me I have 5 placement matches remaining (as expected).... not sure what to make of that, I wonder if it will start my placement matches at my regular MMR maybe?

I did some playing around with this today too.. (on a "new" global play account). After joining and leaving a league I had to play 5 placement matches. (Did this twice.) However, they started out vs higher league opponents (i.e. the opponent level that I probably would have faced if I had not left my league). I had played one unranked match before my my initial league placement. If I get time I'll try later on yet another new account.
rei
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States3594 Posts
March 03 2013 16:01 GMT
#50
Excalibur_Z do you think they raised the diamond / master player mmr break point?
Didn't play for like 2 months or so, it only asked me to play one placement match, last time i played ladder I was around 1000 point master random player, and been placed in masters every season by just playing one placement match for the last 2 years,but yesterday after I won my placement match I got placed into diamond.
GET OUT OF MY BASE CHILL
darkphantom
Profile Joined November 2012
98 Posts
March 03 2013 17:08 GMT
#51
http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/2932979/1/DarkPhantom/

as u see under the portrait there is a box with (0) inside .... what does this mean ?
From the darkness i come
Existor
Profile Joined July 2010
Russian Federation4295 Posts
March 03 2013 17:11 GMT
#52

as u see under the portrait there is a box with (0) inside .... what does this mean ?

Level. In hots there are levels which give rewards such as decals, portraits, dances and unit skins
Nerski
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1095 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-03 17:13:32
March 03 2013 17:12 GMT
#53
On March 04 2013 01:01 rei wrote:
Excalibur_Z do you think they raised the diamond / master player mmr break point?
Didn't play for like 2 months or so, it only asked me to play one placement match, last time i played ladder I was around 1000 point master random player, and been placed in masters every season by just playing one placement match for the last 2 years,but yesterday after I won my placement match I got placed into diamond.


The MMR break point for leagues would have to be constantly changing in order to keep the % of players in each division consistent as total player numbers in a region fluctuates. So if you played far less over the previous season thusly stagnating your MMR it's quite possible due to population fluctuations and MMR's of the population you feel.

It's also possible it didn't fluctuate much at all and you were at or near demotion at the time you left. When you came back it did what it might of done previously.

All point stuff aside, look back to your history and see what leagues your opponents were in before you stopped playing. Assuming you at least placed and played some games every season (or else MMR could reset).

If they were all vs masters players then it would stand to reason it's more likely the MMR break point moved. If many of them were vs diamond players then it'd stand to reason you were already nearing demotion.

You could even go as far as to see what types of opponents your masters opponents were playing to try to surmise if those players were nearing demotion.

Seeing as you can not physically see your MMR because blizzard is paranoid people would figure out ways to game the system there is no way with 100% certainty you'd be able to figure out exactly why you feel, merely speculate.
Twitter: @GoForNerski /// Youtube: Youtube.com/nerskisc
TAMinator
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia2706 Posts
March 03 2013 17:17 GMT
#54
So now i can leave league until i get into diam/masters from placement matches. Neat especially if you belong in higher leagues but games only match you with a league or so below because no1 else was available
GattAttack
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Canada202 Posts
March 03 2013 17:29 GMT
#55
These are pretty neat changes...I kindof wish they just stole the new Riot system though. I personally like how much more clear it is in terms of promotions to higher leagues.
llIH
Profile Joined June 2011
Norway2147 Posts
March 03 2013 17:34 GMT
#56
Interesting indeed
Nerski
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1095 Posts
March 03 2013 17:54 GMT
#57
On March 04 2013 02:17 TAMinator wrote:
So now i can leave league until i get into diam/masters from placement matches. Neat especially if you belong in higher leagues but games only match you with a league or so below because no1 else was available


Assuming leave league resets your MMR, you feasibly could play unranked until you were good enough to be masters then place masters.

I however do not understand the statement "especially if you belong in higher leagues but games only match you with a league or so below". Do you mean your say plat and you think your a D/M? Or are you referencing being say plat and playing a gold or silver player here or there?

I'd only ask this because if you were saying your league is wrong I'd disagree with you. There is very very few instances in which someone is in the wrong league for any significant amount of time. Not unless they themselves have done something like race switch to make it so.

When you play a 1v1 match and hit the search it's looking for the closest available player to your current MMR. By current MMR I don't mean when you logged on, but the number it's floating around as you win and lose games. Which is why if you go on a significant losing or winning streak you can play up or down leagues as the system tries to derive where your skill is at.
Twitter: @GoForNerski /// Youtube: Youtube.com/nerskisc
darkphantom
Profile Joined November 2012
98 Posts
March 03 2013 19:12 GMT
#58
On March 04 2013 02:11 Existor wrote:
Show nested quote +

as u see under the portrait there is a box with (0) inside .... what does this mean ?

Level. In hots there are levels which give rewards such as decals, portraits, dances and unit skins


if u don't have hots u can't level up ?
From the darkness i come
rei
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States3594 Posts
March 04 2013 00:14 GMT
#59
On March 04 2013 02:12 Nerski wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2013 01:01 rei wrote:
Excalibur_Z do you think they raised the diamond / master player mmr break point?
Didn't play for like 2 months or so, it only asked me to play one placement match, last time i played ladder I was around 1000 point master random player, and been placed in masters every season by just playing one placement match for the last 2 years,but yesterday after I won my placement match I got placed into diamond.


The MMR break point for leagues would have to be constantly changing in order to keep the % of players in each division consistent as total player numbers in a region fluctuates. So if you played far less over the previous season thusly stagnating your MMR it's quite possible due to population fluctuations and MMR's of the population you feel.

It's also possible it didn't fluctuate much at all and you were at or near demotion at the time you left. When you came back it did what it might of done previously.

All point stuff aside, look back to your history and see what leagues your opponents were in before you stopped playing. Assuming you at least placed and played some games every season (or else MMR could reset).

If they were all vs masters players then it would stand to reason it's more likely the MMR break point moved. If many of them were vs diamond players then it'd stand to reason you were already nearing demotion.

You could even go as far as to see what types of opponents your masters opponents were playing to try to surmise if those players were nearing demotion.

Seeing as you can not physically see your MMR because blizzard is paranoid people would figure out ways to game the system there is no way with 100% certainty you'd be able to figure out exactly why you feel, merely speculate.


not much diamond players at all when i last played.
GET OUT OF MY BASE CHILL
Kambing
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1176 Posts
March 04 2013 00:18 GMT
#60
On March 04 2013 04:12 darkphantom wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 04 2013 02:11 Existor wrote:

as u see under the portrait there is a box with (0) inside .... what does this mean ?

Level. In hots there are levels which give rewards such as decals, portraits, dances and unit skins


if u don't have hots u can't level up ?


Correct. It is a hots account-enabled feature currently.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 16m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech150
Nathanias 136
Nina 96
SpeCial 72
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12799
Bale 11
League of Legends
Doublelift2543
JimRising 414
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5071
Khaldor1287
Liquid`Hasu734
Other Games
summit1g7022
fl0m817
shahzam494
ToD203
FrodaN160
KnowMe134
ArmadaUGS113
Mew2King70
NeuroSwarm54
JuggernautJason42
ViBE36
PPMD16
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV190
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream69
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 29
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen94
Other Games
• imaqtpie869
• Shiphtur216
• Scarra175
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 16m
Stellar Fest
15h 16m
OSC
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 12h
Online Event
1d 13h
FEL
1d 18h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 19h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 21h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.