• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:21
CEST 14:21
KST 21:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0 Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9001 users

Breadth of Gameplay in SC2 - Page 8

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 113 Next
NEW IN-GAME CHANNEL: FRB
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
March 16 2012 20:17 GMT
#141
It amazes me how much this lines up with my recent thoughts (mostly focused on unit control,) but this is much more complete. Yesterday I was watching a BW game and comparing how the fighting went. I wanted to compare the difference between big battles in the two games. I watched a 40 minute game, and there's was not a single big battle in the whole thing. I was left a bit confused, but enlightened.

I've always loved microing small battles. Before SC2 when I played other games, this was always my favorite part. In SC2, I was thinking I would have to find a way to play a low-economy, like 1-2 base, aggressive style so I could do that. This worked better on the older maps where it was really hard to expand. At the same time, I wanted it to be easier to expand and not have a cap on the number of expansions. I'm not the type of player to do a lot of all ins or anything, but that was the only thing there really was that encouraged micro since you couldn't expand past 2-3 bases. Lately I've been trying to think of a way where we could allow for more fighting that isn't designed to kill the opponent completely, and used to go into a longer game.

Metalopolis was, assuming not close positions, a map where you had a nice progression and could keep expanding, and I've always thought that's why it was the most long-lasting of all the original maps. However, you still wouldn't take a fourth until your main mined out anyway, cause you didn't need to, and it was actually quite difficult. It had a setup where the bases got progressively more difficult to defend as you expanded, but the bases were all pretty hard to defend to begin with.

(Notice how I refer to Metalopolis in the past tense.)

While the idea of changing resource counts had crossed my mind, I hadn't thought of it this in-depth. It actually seems like the optimal solution, and I'm disappointed in myself for not realizing it sooner.

I think the old style of SC2, on the older maps, is a bit like WC3. WC3, though, was designed to be this way with it's low supply system and hero system, and I think it worked out fine, although it never had the spectator value of BW imo. I think SC2's game design would be more suited BW style gameplay, and the ability to spend a massive amount of supply on workers really allows for that, unlike WC3, from what I know of it.

I also love how it is mentioned that it's just not worth microing units over macro in SC2 at the current stage.

Anyways, I'm not finished reading it all yet, but I've loved every word thus far.
all's fair in love and melodies
iGrok
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States5142 Posts
March 16 2012 20:18 GMT
#142
On March 17 2012 05:04 Diamond wrote:
I'm actually shocked people took the time to read this. When Barirn previewed it for me I was SURE everyone was going to see the length and skip it.

That being said, lots of good response thus far, maybe I'll throw a small no prize match on it with some pros to see it in action.

Get this article translated to Korean and get their opinions on it!

Great post Barrin.
MOTM | Stim.tv | TL Mafia | Fantasy Fighting! | SNSD
BaconofWar
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States369 Posts
March 16 2012 20:19 GMT
#143
Barrin: You are an incredible genius for the work you've personally put into this, and the numbers you've had to deal with to make this thread. Your argument is flawless, there is no hole left open for debate. Congratulations sir, you have made the most flawless argument I have ever seen.
Well, C9 is the best right now
dudecrush
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada418 Posts
March 16 2012 20:19 GMT
#144
So. Damn. True. Thank you for making this. I always despair at the huge number or 2 base vs. 3 base game we see, where as in BW (as long as the skill gap wasn't huge and one player didn't cheese) games would always last until 4 bases each or more.
di3alot
Profile Joined December 2011
172 Posts
March 16 2012 20:20 GMT
#145
man i feel like a hipster right now :D

but i dont think anything would change.
Player/blizzard/tournaments dont give a shit about this

player are only interested in maps that are in tournaments but tournaments do not rly care what the players want so the only way is through blizzard....ups i mean activision and they also dont give a shit.
cArn-
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Korea (South)824 Posts
March 16 2012 20:20 GMT
#146
To be honest I don't like this, and here is the reason.

If you have less ressources per base, you'll need more bases, but if you want to be able to defend them you also need more units, which already takes more time than before with this change and will just artificially make games painfully slower without really promoting faster expanding.
It would promote faster expanding only for strategies involving very mobiles armies and make them even more effective.
Is it a good thing or a bad thing I don't know, but I don't like the idea of reducing diversity and making the games slower
Twitter : http://twitter.com/CARNDARAK
Xanatoss
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany539 Posts
March 16 2012 20:20 GMT
#147
So
much
text
...
starting now.
The chair slowly turns around. You see his face, but it can't be. He's not supposed to be here. Not him. Not a Protoss. Not THAT Protoss. MC says, "Hi Greg, long time no see." You back slowly out of the booth. But you can't. It's already forcefielded.
Diamond
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States10796 Posts
March 16 2012 20:20 GMT
#148
On March 17 2012 05:18 iGrok wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2012 05:04 Diamond wrote:
I'm actually shocked people took the time to read this. When Barirn previewed it for me I was SURE everyone was going to see the length and skip it.

That being said, lots of good response thus far, maybe I'll throw a small no prize match on it with some pros to see it in action.

Get this article translated to Korean and get their opinions on it!

Great post Barrin.


I don't feel like killing my translator. haha :D
Ballistix Gaming Global Gaming/Esports Marketing Manager - twitter.com/esvdiamond
Candadar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
2049 Posts
March 16 2012 20:21 GMT
#149
I'm going to read this all now, but just reading the first few lines yes -- yes it does feel dead to me. Once they implement all the changes in the upcoming patches and I hear feedback of how it is, I'll come back to give it a final shot before HotS. At the moment though, after 2 years, I just am too bored. The game feels dead, and feels like a job just going on and laddering in solitude. Any friends I talk to are on Skype because there is basically no real way to stay in contact with others. Not to mention, the game just feels...dry compared to Brood War.

I'll post with new thoughts, hopefully different ones, after reading the entirety though.
gurrpp
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States437 Posts
March 16 2012 20:22 GMT
#150
I'm really liking the idea of 6m1hg. I'll definitely be giving 6m1hg entombed valley and devolution a try. Keep fighting the good fight, OP. If blizzard doesn't implement a similar solution I hope the community can push Less Resources per Base maps into prominence.
hot fuh days
bonifaceviii
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada2890 Posts
March 16 2012 20:22 GMT
#151
This is the best thread since O Micro, Where Art Thou?
Stay a while and listen || http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=354018
milesfacade
Profile Joined November 2010
United Kingdom799 Posts
March 16 2012 20:22 GMT
#152
On March 17 2012 05:20 cArn- wrote:
To be honest I don't like this, and here is the reason.

If you have less ressources per base, you'll need more bases, but if you want to be able to defend them you also need more units, which already takes more time than before with this change and will just artificially make games painfully slower without really promoting faster expanding.
It would promote faster expanding only for strategies involving very mobiles armies and make them even more effective.
Is it a good thing or a bad thing I don't know, but I don't like the idea of reducing diversity and making the games slower


Isn't this covered by this?:

"Fallacy A:

"But if I have less resources in my base, I wont be able to make units fast enough to defend their attacks!"
or
"But if I have less resources in my base, then my semi-aggressive build will be too weak to penetrate their defense!"

There are two things we are looking at here:
The size of an army you can start moving across the field at a given point in time.
The defending player's ability (measured in time) to match and overcome the attacking player's army.

When you increase or decrease the amount of resources per base, you are changing both of these things. It is easy to feel like only one of them would change."
Alacast
Profile Joined December 2011
United States205 Posts
March 16 2012 20:22 GMT
#153
I highly recommend making an Official Channel for people who want to play on your maps to make it easier to find partners of equal skill and discuss. Put it in your OP etc. . .
Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them. -Frank Herbert
speknek
Profile Joined February 2012
758 Posts
March 16 2012 20:23 GMT
#154
sick read, i was thinking about less minerals per base as well
TBO
Profile Joined September 2009
Germany1350 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-16 20:23:53
March 16 2012 20:23 GMT
#155
Great Post, this is really one of the major issues with SC2.

An alternative to having less mineral patches would be to have a few patches per base with less than 1500 minerals (lets say 750) so fresh bases are just like they are right now, but not for too long, so you need to expand earlier while still having a lot of mining bases (vulnerabilities). the main probably should have all patches on 1500 though.
gCgCrypto
Profile Joined December 2010
Germany297 Posts
March 16 2012 20:23 GMT
#156
i am totally for your idea, read it all and can only say i want to test it but your map downloads are not working (for me atleast). I think we should spread this over not only TL but Blizz forums, Reddit and everywhere because it is a rather easy fix for Blizzard and it would make the game so mutch more interesting.

Crypto
L E E J A E D O N G ! <3
firehand101
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Australia3152 Posts
March 16 2012 20:25 GMT
#157
Ive also been thinking this as well. Bases would be more valuable, and so expansions would be seen more often. Either that, or players think you dont get much from an expo anymore and just cheese
The opinions expressed by our users do not reflect the official position of TeamLiquid.net or its staff.
gCgCrypto
Profile Joined December 2010
Germany297 Posts
March 16 2012 20:25 GMT
#158
@OP: Please collect eny responses of Pros or other important community members (liek JP, Day9 or whatever) if possible to make Blizz react!
L E E J A E D O N G ! <3
quistador
Profile Joined March 2011
United States43 Posts
March 16 2012 20:25 GMT
#159
It's seems like 7m1hyg would be the closest. Why no maps like this?
zhurai
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States5660 Posts
March 16 2012 20:26 GMT
#160
totally agree with this...

took a long time to read though ^^'' ~_~
Twitter: @zhurai | Site: http://zhurai.com
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 113 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1273
WardiTV608
OGKoka 196
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko392
OGKoka 196
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 11353
Bisu 3680
FanTaSy 2754
Shuttle 2055
Jaedong 1110
actioN 840
BeSt 684
Horang2 545
EffOrt 527
Leta 206
[ Show more ]
Zeus 194
Larva 175
Barracks 113
Dewaltoss 109
Mind 101
Mini 85
Mong 79
sorry 51
soO 49
ToSsGirL 48
Sexy 47
Sea.KH 46
JYJ 45
scan(afreeca) 45
Bale 34
Killer 30
Shinee 30
sSak 28
Free 27
Snow 26
Aegong 21
HiyA 16
zelot 13
Sacsri 12
yabsab 8
Yoon 7
Dota 2
Gorgc3311
Dendi775
XaKoH 343
qojqva171
Counter-Strike
x6flipin304
Other Games
singsing2555
Livibee2056
olofmeister1328
B2W.Neo667
crisheroes312
Pyrionflax220
hiko196
XBOCT194
dupreeh97
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
Afreeca ASL 7949
Other Games
gamesdonequick577
StarCraft: Brood War
StarCastTV_EN152
UltimateBattle 99
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream31
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1832
Other Games
• WagamamaTV162
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
3h 39m
Replay Cast
10h 39m
Afreeca Starleague
21h 39m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
22h 39m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 11h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.