• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:44
CEST 00:44
KST 07:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8527 users

Proposed Design Changes To StarCraft 2's UI - Page 16

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 14 15 16 All
Mr.Pyro
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Denmark959 Posts
March 16 2012 22:21 GMT
#301
On March 17 2012 07:00 Mr.Jelly wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2012 05:35 Mr.Pyro wrote:
On March 17 2012 05:16 faulty wrote:
It's baffling that these kinds of things weren't implemented in the first place. No offence to OP, but the proposed changes are intuitive and should have been thought of the first thing around.


This too. They are not 'groundbreaking'.

Hi, I'm the real you, I hope you can change for the both of us.


I'm sorry that reality is so unfair to you.
P⊧[1]<a>[2]<a>[3]<a>tt | P ≝ 1.a.2.a.3.a.P
Xapti
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada2473 Posts
March 16 2012 22:31 GMT
#302
On March 17 2012 04:53 sAymole wrote:
These are good proposals, though I feel like a lot of the proposed changes are basic UI features that should've been included in the package to begin with, had Blizzard been even remotely considerate towards UI.

TBH, the inefficiency of finding replays to their corresponding match histories, or having to reselect the match history category after returning from viewing match details simply because it didn't provide us with enough information on the list itself are unacceptable design flaws considering how easy they are to implement, just to name a couple out of many.

The lack of effort put in by blizzard in regards to UI is astounding in contrast to the quality of the game itself. Truly, the UI is dragging the SC2 experience down for its users.

...

I couldn't help but cringe when you mention that you thought the interface was already well designed and had a difficult time in finding ways to improve upon it. If you really think this way, I believe your standard for UI design is set unacceptably low, especially considering you're a designer yourself. If you don't really think this way (which I'm personally assuming) you're kissing their asses for a failed design. Either way the statement doesn't belong in this video.

I very much agree with this.
"Then he told me to tell you that he wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire" — "Well, you tell him that I said that I wouldn't piss on him if he was on Jeopardy!"
TheChostoProject
Profile Joined May 2010
Mexico96 Posts
March 17 2012 00:54 GMT
#303
+ Show Spoiler +
On March 16 2012 06:41 alteredsego wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2012 06:19 Lorizean wrote:
On March 16 2012 06:17 TheChostoProject wrote:
Not to be rude, but it seems like a lot of high level ideas and no concern of how to do it.

The linking of replay and match history... how would they implement that without storing replays in the server?

Yeah this. Did you take into account the changes that would have to be made to the game code etc.?



The thought I had was a localized XML file that stored all the crosslinked data. Your match history is just a web page anyways, it would not be an issue to check a XML file while it is loading data from Blizzard's site. If you are on someone elses computer and the replay file is not available then it just greys out the load replay button, or if the file is deleted it would automatically remove that entry from the crosslinking file.

Initially I did go into a lot more detail about how things worked, and covered a lot more ideas... but the voiceover was around 25 minutes long and I did not think anyone would watch all of it anyways; so I scrapped it and kept it short and sweet. I suppose I could have provided more data using on screen text, but I was afraid that would be too distracting. (Plus I was trying to get this thing out relatively quickly.)

I agree with you overall though, as if it is only pie in the sky suggestions it does not do much good. However, even if I did include a lot of technical information: I would be guessing somewhat as to how StarCraft 2's back end did things; so my proposals might not be very good anyways if I am incorrect in my understanding of how things work.

I should probably point out that this position is for a User Interface Artist anwyways, and I am not sure how much they have to do with coding things on the back end anyways. (The job listing makes no mention of any language knowledge or coding experience; so I think it is just graphical design and modeling layouts... which is what I did.)


The problem is that you sound like an "idea guy" instead of someone who "gets shit done". If you're applying for a low level position, chances are that your employer is not looking for someone with fresh ideas that can bring someone new to the table and fix their shit, they are looking for someone who can do whatever they're told to do in the best way possible.

If you're position is artist, i'd expect to see more of buttons designs, icons, maybe tables / grids, ways to implement images and effects etc. Functionality is not what artists do.

Everybody has ideas, but only the good people actually make those ideas happen.
www.soundclick.com/thechostoproject
Ero-Sennin
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States756 Posts
March 17 2012 00:54 GMT
#304
When you're applying for a job at a BIG company, if you come in and say "Wow, you guys really missed the mark on this. Your game 14 years ago has better UI than this piece of crap." You're not going to get the job at that company, unless you have some great credentials to back you up.

Luck makes talent look like genius.
UniQ.eu
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden82 Posts
March 17 2012 10:49 GMT
#305
Regardless of wether this guy gets the job or not, the changes he proposed are still great and a step in the right direction!
RobiTL
Profile Joined July 2010
France55 Posts
March 17 2012 15:56 GMT
#306
Hello, I'm in EU, how do I support these ideas along with watching replays together with other people ?
Born to be Zerg
Prev 1 14 15 16 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 16m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech134
SpeCial 115
Nathanias 58
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 581
910 27
MaD[AoV]22
Bale 13
League of Legends
JimRising 550
Counter-Strike
Fnx 611
minikerr4
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox507
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3886
Other Games
summit1g7951
FrodaN599
C9.Mang0246
shahzam173
Trikslyr27
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV216
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream24
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21372
Other Games
• imaqtpie819
• Shiphtur585
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
1h 16m
Patches Events
17h 16m
The PondCast
1d 11h
INu's Battles
1d 12h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 23h
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.