• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:49
CEST 21:49
KST 04:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8464 users

Proposed Design Changes To StarCraft 2's UI - Page 15

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 Next All
Shanedon
Profile Joined April 2010
United States147 Posts
March 16 2012 17:03 GMT
#281
+ Show Spoiler +
On March 16 2012 22:55 Bigpet wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2012 21:56 paralleluniverse wrote:
On March 16 2012 21:42 Mesha wrote:
Blizzard would implement this and many more but the technology simply isn't there yet.
These ideas are ok but i don't think that Blizzard's develepers are lacking ideas, i think they haven't put in resources and efforts to upgrade their shitty UI. This next patch could be something that changes that.

The technology isn't there to launch a replay from the score screen? To add tabs to replays?

You make it sound like Blizzard is attempting to design a quantum computer.


It was sarcasm. The phrase "the technology isn't there yet" was used by Blizzard as a comment regarding shared viewing of replays if I recall correctly (something BW had mind you). Might have been something else regarding replays though.

my bad it was actually something TB said sarcastically: reddit

edit2: which was a quote from Frank Pearce regarding cross-region play (basically saying the ping is too high)
Show nested quote +
You know, it depends on the technology infrastructure provided by the telecommunications providers. It's something that we'll be constantly evaluating and looking at. In an ideal world, the Blizzard gaming community would be unified in one global region, but the technology's just not there yet. Ten years ago, we weren't making 3D games. Hopefully, in the same way that we're making 3D games today and we weren't ten years ago, down the road the connectivity in terms of the internet will be such that we can bring everyone together in a unified community, but it's just not possible right now. That's the ideal world.

TL Thread containing the quote


lol, this guy's got his sources!
Gyar...
alteredsego
Profile Joined November 2010
United States50 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-16 17:14:52
March 16 2012 17:10 GMT
#282
Since a lot of people seem to be commenting on the whole difference between an Artist and a Designer, and what role development plays in the whole thing, I thought I would share this:

The Overlay Show Episode 28

It is an interview with Nick Slough, who is the Lead UI Artist on StarCraft 2, and at around 58 minutes it starts into a whole discussion on Designer versus Developer argument and what roles each plays. The shows hosts kind of dominate the conversation a lot, but he does talk a bit about how in his eyes they are all part of the development team and should be involved with making the best product possible. As it relates to this topic, and it is somewhat interesting: I thought I would go ahead and share.

Thanks again for all the feedback!
"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child: now that I am become a man, I have put away childish things." I Corinthians 13:11 (Alternately Cereal Killer from Hackers)
probob
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany227 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-16 17:44:13
March 16 2012 17:17 GMT
#283
On March 16 2012 21:45 Art_of_Kill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2012 06:24 Ashur wrote:
I do not like those changes but icons in replays. Suggestions are useless for daily purpose. I mean, StarCraft II Bnet UI needs to be changed completely, not just to move this and that and add minor feature. Those requirements are in several threads already

1) Shared replays
1a) Serverside saved replays (anyone can just view my public replays, till I click just played game as "do not publish")
2) Be able to move to the middle or end of the replay immediately
3) Public chat channels
4) Chat commands (/whisper, /ignore, /join, /creategame) we are not xbox dumbasses to click 3 times to whisper, right?
5) Be able to join game from chat via clicking a button ("Observe" for example, when someone left channel and started new public game)
6) Be able to join game after it started, or this might be a feature to prevent cheating - see the real content with a slight 2 min delay
7) Statistics in UI (sc2 ranks stats for my profile, for our teams, its just numbers)
8) An option to show/hide my win/loss ratio to myself/others
9) Clan support
10) E-sports support, why I cannot see replays from games (perhaps with audio) and I have to see a stream? Why is there no stream directly in game UI when this event has Blizzard as a sponsor/partner?
11) Map market
11a) Model market, why you do not make some new models (e.g. CE Thor) of units paid for Blizzbucks?
12) Simplify it, I am just too lazy to click same sequence of tabs/buttons/scroll/rightclicks over and over
13) Screw realms, make it global as it used to be
14) Charts, more charts in game for casters, and more charts in BN UI to analyze. What about chart for income, for unit loss etc.

I mean, game itself is perfect, but whoever made current Battle.NET UI 2.0 just failed. It sucks. It definitely sucks.

Blizzard should be leader in game industry, so far I see that people are complaining. Other companies do a lot - a lot more, to make their games user friendly. It's sad. Oh and BTW So far it seems that D3 socializing will have same "empty" syndrom as SC2 has.

way more important improvement then the op suggested

No one has ever put it better. These minor changes arent enough.
All these suggestions would have more effect than more shiny icons and graphic changes.
Maybe people would actually spend their time in bnet if it would be that convienent and play more themselves. I definetely think we need to grow our playerbase in the long run for esports to grow.
Ich bin ein Berliner
Xxazn4lyfe51xX
Profile Joined October 2010
United States976 Posts
March 16 2012 17:21 GMT
#284
These changes look amazing! I really hope you get the position!

That being said, to better your chances of getting said position, fix the typo at 7:23 You have Ehacing instead of Enhancing.

Good luck!
nukkuj
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Finland403 Posts
March 16 2012 17:25 GMT
#285
Amazing work! I hope you will get the job.
alteredsego
Profile Joined November 2010
United States50 Posts
March 16 2012 17:28 GMT
#286
On March 17 2012 02:21 Xxazn4lyfe51xX wrote:
These changes look amazing! I really hope you get the position!

That being said, to better your chances of getting said position, fix the typo at 7:23 You have Ehacing instead of Enhancing.

Good luck!


lol Yeah I noticed that right after it started to get traction... I don't think there is a way to replace a video without creating a new one, but I could be wrong. Regardless, thanks for letting me know! I just let that one get away from me unfortunately.
"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child: now that I am become a man, I have put away childish things." I Corinthians 13:11 (Alternately Cereal Killer from Hackers)
Sqorpion
Profile Joined October 2011
Denmark384 Posts
March 16 2012 17:30 GMT
#287
This is amazing!
"Until the very, very top, in almost anything all that matters, is how much work you put in. The only problem is that most people can't work hard even at things they do enjoy, much less things they don't have a real passion for." - Greg "IdrA" Fields
0neder
Profile Joined July 2009
United States3733 Posts
March 16 2012 19:28 GMT
#288
Very nice. As a starcraft fan and a professional designer, this is great work (and only just the beginning). What about group replay watching? Blizzard, hire this man now.
birdkicker
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States752 Posts
March 16 2012 19:37 GMT
#289
In all honesty, the emphasis you put on the amazing changes you have thought out for the UI got me dissapointed. The changes in the video, IMO, isn't that original; I thought there was going to be more except replays and match history.
NeMeSiS3
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Canada2972 Posts
March 16 2012 19:41 GMT
#290
On March 17 2012 01:47 ffdestiny wrote:
Show nested quote +


... You wouldn't happen to work for Blizzards UI team would you?



Since you never addressed any of the realistic business-side issues that actually being employed at such a huge company as Blizzard (or any company) deems as necessary, and you never answered any of my reasons for the critique through picking careers (as in, this is an employment application) through such an important, and in-depth project I don't really know what to say to you, other than your attack is largely ad hominen, emotional and dismisses the fact that the original video is grossly detracted from the actual job that he desires. Furthermore, since he's calling for employment, it's different. If this were a simple "hey look what SC II can be" then, like I said, I would agree with it more. As of right now, there's no reason to curtail those emotions and ignore the fallacies that exist in his logic--also, why are you speaking for him in such a manner, anyway? I'm sure he can respond if he wishes, and taking up a random, anonymous white-knight for your defense is all-together, I don't know, baseless?


the biggest question out of all of that, since you only managed to quote the part in which I asked you if you work for Blizzards UI team is, do you? Since you singled out that specific quote you'd imagine that you'd answer it.
FoTG fighting!
sAyMole
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)35 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-16 20:46:12
March 16 2012 19:53 GMT
#291
These are good proposals, though I feel like a lot of the proposed changes are basic UI features that should've been included in the package to begin with, had Blizzard been even remotely considerate towards UI.

TBH, the inefficiency of finding replays to their corresponding match histories, or having to reselect the match history category after returning from viewing match details simply because it didn't provide us with enough information on the list itself are unacceptable design flaws considering how easy they are to implement, just to name a couple out of many.

The lack of effort put in by blizzard in regards to UI is astounding in contrast to the quality of the game itself. Truly, the UI is dragging the SC2 experience down for its users.

So props for actually doing something and getting this video out there.

There are a couple things I'd like to say though:

I couldn't help but cringe when you mention that you thought the interface was already well designed and had a difficult time in finding ways to improve upon it. If you really think this way, I believe your standard for UI design is set unacceptably low, especially considering you're a designer yourself. If you don't really think this way (which I'm personally assuming) you're kissing their asses for a failed design. Either way the statement doesn't belong in this video.

You're quite dramatic as well, with the tone of your voice, vocabulary, and the choice of background music. You might want to turn down the sensationalism and get to the points to "up" your credibility.
Jake the dog (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) & Finn the human | (• ◡•)|
Mr.Pyro
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Denmark959 Posts
March 16 2012 19:56 GMT
#292
On March 17 2012 04:41 NeMeSiS3 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2012 01:47 ffdestiny wrote:


... You wouldn't happen to work for Blizzards UI team would you?



Since you never addressed any of the realistic business-side issues that actually being employed at such a huge company as Blizzard (or any company) deems as necessary, and you never answered any of my reasons for the critique through picking careers (as in, this is an employment application) through such an important, and in-depth project I don't really know what to say to you, other than your attack is largely ad hominen, emotional and dismisses the fact that the original video is grossly detracted from the actual job that he desires. Furthermore, since he's calling for employment, it's different. If this were a simple "hey look what SC II can be" then, like I said, I would agree with it more. As of right now, there's no reason to curtail those emotions and ignore the fallacies that exist in his logic--also, why are you speaking for him in such a manner, anyway? I'm sure he can respond if he wishes, and taking up a random, anonymous white-knight for your defense is all-together, I don't know, baseless?


the biggest question out of all of that, since you only managed to quote the part in which I asked you if you work for Blizzards UI team is, do you? Since you singled out that specific quote you'd imagine that you'd answer it.



I am in complete agreement with ffdestiny here.
The video does not at all adress an interface artist. Go look at the job requirements.
A task for an interface artist might be something along the lines of: "So the GUI Designer made this prototype, with these buttons here, here, here and here. We want you to texture and animate these buttons."

I'm terribly sorry to put it so crudely, because i'm sure this guy is passionate about it, but i'll be a monkey's uncle if he gets the job.
P⊧[1]<a>[2]<a>[3]<a>tt | P ≝ 1.a.2.a.3.a.P
GreEny K
Profile Joined February 2008
Germany7312 Posts
March 16 2012 19:58 GMT
#293
Very nicely done, hope they hire you!
Why would you ever choose failure, when success is an option.
NeMeSiS3
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
Canada2972 Posts
March 16 2012 20:02 GMT
#294
On March 17 2012 04:56 Mr.Pyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2012 04:41 NeMeSiS3 wrote:
On March 17 2012 01:47 ffdestiny wrote:


... You wouldn't happen to work for Blizzards UI team would you?



Since you never addressed any of the realistic business-side issues that actually being employed at such a huge company as Blizzard (or any company) deems as necessary, and you never answered any of my reasons for the critique through picking careers (as in, this is an employment application) through such an important, and in-depth project I don't really know what to say to you, other than your attack is largely ad hominen, emotional and dismisses the fact that the original video is grossly detracted from the actual job that he desires. Furthermore, since he's calling for employment, it's different. If this were a simple "hey look what SC II can be" then, like I said, I would agree with it more. As of right now, there's no reason to curtail those emotions and ignore the fallacies that exist in his logic--also, why are you speaking for him in such a manner, anyway? I'm sure he can respond if he wishes, and taking up a random, anonymous white-knight for your defense is all-together, I don't know, baseless?


the biggest question out of all of that, since you only managed to quote the part in which I asked you if you work for Blizzards UI team is, do you? Since you singled out that specific quote you'd imagine that you'd answer it.



I am in complete agreement with ffdestiny here.
The video does not at all adress an interface artist. Go look at the job requirements.
A task for an interface artist might be something along the lines of: "So the GUI Designer made this prototype, with these buttons here, here, here and here. We want you to texture and animate these buttons."

I'm terribly sorry to put it so crudely, because i'm sure this guy is passionate about it, but i'll be a monkey's uncle if he gets the job.


if you read back (he edited out the entire quote I posted to just add that) I agreed with that, what I was even arguing about was how he stated the changes were "redimdamt" and he said something along the lines of why change the system simplistic nature for a more complicated UI (which it would actually be the reverse)

I never argued that the job hes seeking is actually incorrect for what he's showing.
FoTG fighting!
faulty
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada204 Posts
March 16 2012 20:16 GMT
#295
It's baffling that these kinds of things weren't implemented in the first place. No offence to OP, but the proposed changes are intuitive and should have been thought of the first thing around.

Also, watch replays with friends needs to be added, no question.
"More gg, more skill" - White-Ra
mcblayer
Profile Joined January 2012
United Kingdom4 Posts
March 16 2012 20:26 GMT
#296
This makes me want to kill myself more than that Kony video.

The changes you proposed are very very limited.

A complete re-hall of the whole UI is needed in my opinion. With all the stuff there adding in, in HotS i think a complete UI design is needed as its going to make it even more confusing and annoying to get your head around.

Fae scotland.
Mr.Pyro
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Denmark959 Posts
March 16 2012 20:35 GMT
#297
On March 17 2012 05:16 faulty wrote:
It's baffling that these kinds of things weren't implemented in the first place. No offence to OP, but the proposed changes are intuitive and should have been thought of the first thing around.


This too. They are not 'groundbreaking'.
P⊧[1]<a>[2]<a>[3]<a>tt | P ≝ 1.a.2.a.3.a.P
HackBenjamin
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada1094 Posts
March 16 2012 20:42 GMT
#298
On March 17 2012 05:26 mcblayer wrote:
This makes me want to kill myself more than that Kony video.


You are being extremely melodramatic. The proposed changes are not even remotely bad enough to warrant this kind of response.
Nazeron
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada1046 Posts
March 16 2012 21:16 GMT
#299
Really nice upgrades, really like everything he did with it. Everything makes a lot more sense with his edits, hopefully blizz takes a look at this
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mr.Jelly
Profile Joined March 2012
Denmark2 Posts
March 16 2012 22:00 GMT
#300
On March 17 2012 05:35 Mr.Pyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2012 05:16 faulty wrote:
It's baffling that these kinds of things weren't implemented in the first place. No offence to OP, but the proposed changes are intuitive and should have been thought of the first thing around.


This too. They are not 'groundbreaking'.

Hi, I'm the real you, I hope you can change for the both of us.

User was banned for this post.
∈ [nil;∞] ∑ ∫ 1a2a3a da
Prev 1 13 14 15 16 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 1552
RotterdaM953
TaKeTV 366
IndyStarCraft 199
SteadfastSC164
ZombieGrub97
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 1552
RotterdaM 953
IndyStarCraft 199
MaxPax 179
SteadfastSC 164
RuFF_SC2 142
ZombieGrub97
UpATreeSC 70
MindelVK 23
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 2722
Shuttle 509
Dewaltoss 110
910 68
Mind 60
Bale 14
Counter-Strike
fl0m3932
pashabiceps1420
Fnx 678
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4943
Liquid`Hasu571
Other Games
Beastyqt897
summit1g700
shahzam406
mouzStarbuck382
ToD219
C9.Mang0173
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV207
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream30
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 182
• Reevou 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 19
• Eskiya23 13
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade350
Other Games
• imaqtpie860
• Shiphtur334
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
3h 12m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 12m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
15h 12m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 4h
Patches Events
1d 20h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.