• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:59
CEST 01:59
KST 08:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)62Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9683 users

[Interview] 2012 GSL S1 Code S RO8 Day 1 Winners

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Weirdkid
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Singapore2431 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-15 16:18:34
February 15 2012 16:14 GMT
#1
These interviews were translated from
http://s.163.com/12/0215/19/7QB1GLR700314D0E.html and http://s.163.com/12/0215/20/7QB5D58M00314D0E.html

and

http://www.thisisgame.com/board/view.php?id=1100370&category=13439 and http://www.thisisgame.com/board/view.php?id=1100416&category=13439

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Match-Ups
Fnatic_aLive vs. SlayerS_MMA
FXO_GuMiho vs. SlayerS_Puzzle
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Winner of First Match
+ Show Spoiler +
Fnatic_aLive
[image loading]

Q: You advanced to the Code S semi-finals for the first time. How does it feel?
A: I am so glad to advance to the Code S semi-finals. I think I can start having some confidence in my skills after today. Before this, whenever I got good results, I would just feel that I was lucky. However, being able to beat such a strong player today gave me more confidence in my skills. I think I have a good future to look forward to as a growing player.

Q: Your build in the first set was really good.
A: I have played a lot of TvTs on Dual Sight, including games against Mvp and MarineKing, but I lost in both those games. I had used the same strategy in both those games, and so I made some slight modifications to the build. Because I wasn't too confident in the first and third games, I decided to try to win using my tactics. The tactics which I used happened to counter my opponent, and I am really happy for that.

Q: You were ahead in the second game, but MMA made a comeback to win.
A: I ruled out the possibility of my opponent going banshees, and that made me lose control of the game. However, even if I had lost the second game, being in that advantage let me know that in terms of skill, I was ahead.

Q: What was the key reason for winning the third game?
A: I originally thought that I had lost, but when I noticed that my opponent's barracks did not have an add-on. I decided to use another strategy. That was the key to the victory.

Q: You were in a bad position in the fourth game, but you eventually made a comeback.
A: The first attack was not supposed to be blocked by the opponent, and when that attack failed, I was in a horrible position. I decided to use harassment tactics to stall for time, and the cloak banshees came at the right time. It seemed like the opponent did not expect such a strategy from me at all.

Q: Overall, you seemed to be in good condition today.
A: Actually, my condition was not that great, but it does not seem to affect my performance in the games. As long as it's not a flu or anything serious, there isn't a significant effect on the games. I don't think I've ever been in a good condition when I play in tournaments. Maybe my wins in recent online tournaments gave me a lot of momentum for today.

Q: Your opponent in the semi-finals will be the winner between MC and Genius. Either way, it's a Protoss.
A: If it was a Zerg, I think I would lose, because there're rumours of patch 1.4.3 and the ghost changes.

Nowadays, Terrans are finding it hard in the TvP matchup. In the semi-finals, I hope not to have to win using special builds and tactics, but rather, to win using my mechanics. This time, I won't choose to route around the mountain. I will face it head on.

Personally though, I hope to play against Genius. They're both great players, but I am very good friends with Genius. When Starcraft 2 first started, he gave me a lot of help, and now, it's time for me to teach him a lesson (laughs). To be honest, what I really want is to go through a smaller mountain (laughs).

Q: What are the chances of you making it to the finals?
A: I still don't know who my semi-finals opponent will be, so I feel it's a 50% chance for now. Both of them are really strong, so I cannot say that I am 100% confident of advancing to the finals. If Genius advances, I think I have a 55% chance. If MC advances, I think I have a 40% chance.

Q: Any last things to add?
A: I want to thank our sponsors, RaidCall, MSI, SteelSeries, and Eizo. I also want to thank the players that practised with me.

Now that I have gained this new confidence in my skills, I will work even harder. Some people say that players become complacent once they get good results, but I will try my best not to become complacent.

I am also thankful to Anne from the team who came to the studio to cheer for me.



Winner of Second Match
+ Show Spoiler +
FXO_GuMiho
[image loading]

Q: You advanced to the Code S semi-finals for the first time. How does it feel?
A: Very happy. I wasn't able to play as well as I wanted to in the game, and that made me a bit uneasy. I am very happy to advance despite that. I even made newbie mistakes such as being supply blocked, which made me think I was going to be eliminated.

Q: Overall, what mistakes were there?
A: There were mistakes in the second and third game. I was supply blocked for a period of time, and there were also some mistakes with resource gathering. It was just all these minor mistakes that kept cropping up.

Q: Even though you made all these mistakes, you still managed to win 3:1. Are you satisfied with the score?
A: The match went as I had planned for it to go. In the game that I lost, I already had the feeling that I was going to lose that. I prepared very little for the second game because I thought the map was so hard. I just gave up on the practice for that. I mainly focused my practice on the first game.

My strategy in the first game was not one that I use often, but because I practised sufficiently for that, I was quite confident. In the third game, I had absolute confidence in my strategy for that game.

Q: Did Oz help you in practice?
A: Yes. He spoke a lot to me too. He told me a few points that Terran was strongest at, and told me to take advantage of those few points. This did help me, but only a little bit (laughs).

What he told me was about ghost timings, but because the strategies that I had prepared were not standard strategies, it wasn't much help to me.

Q: Your opponent in the semi-finals is the winner between DongRaeGu and Parting. Who do you wish to face?
A: They're both really strong. When I practised with Parting, it just felt like I was running into a wall. It would be really hard to win using a mix up of special strategies like I did today.

I was originally confident in my TvZ, but there is the possibility that patch 1.4.3 is coming out soon, which makes me very worried. If the patch comes out, the key point of contention will be about who adapts to the new patch faster. I think there will be a huge change in the way the TvZ matchup is played.

If I absolutely had to choose, I think Parting will be an easier match. Because I am good friends with him, I will feel less guilty even if I were to win against him.

Q: What do you think are the chances of you getting to the finals?
A: I don't think it's very high. To be honest, even for today, I did not expect for myself to really win. I think it's really strange. Every time I think I am going to lose, my chances of winning go up.

It seems like I am less stressed when I start feeling there isn't much hope for me left, so I am usually able to play well. For this semifinals though, I think that the results will be proportional to the amount of effort put in.

Q: If you make it to the finals, who do you hope your opponent to be?
A: I hope it's MC. Even though the results of the finals are very important too, the most important is still the accumulation of experience. So I think it's better to play against the strongest opponent. That will stimulate myself into working even harder, and even if I lose I will learn a lot. I think there's nothing to lose.

Q: Any last things you want to say?
A: asd hyung lost in the preliminaries yesterday. We are all really sad, but we hope he'll be able to continue doing his best.

I want to thank the team mates who helped me practise, and also CreatorPrime. I hope we will do well in GSTL the day after tomorrow. I also hope that Tear, who will be making his debut, will be able to do well and get good results.


_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Previous interviews can be found at the following links.
+ Show Spoiler +
Code S Round of 32

Group A (NSHoseo_Jjakji, Gamania_Sen, SlayerS_Boxer, SlayerS_Ganzi) - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=302021

Group B (FXO_Leenock, oGs_Fin, oGs_Supernova, SK_MC) - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=302137

Group C (IM_Mvp, FXO_Lucky, EG_Idra, IM_Nestea) - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=302614

Group D (FXOz, Startale_Curious, Startale_Bomber, oGs_Inca) - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=302683

Group E (SlayerS_MMA, FXO_Gumiho, SlayerS_Yugioh, Liquid_Zenio) - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=303848

Group F (MVP_sC, EG_JYP, MVP_DongRaeGu, MVP_Genius) - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=303968

Group G (Alive, SlayerS_Brown, IM_Happy, MarineKingPrime) - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=304262

Group H (SlayerS_Puzzle, StarTale_Parting, MVP_Keen, oGs_Nada)
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=305097


Code S Round of 16

Group A (IM_Mvp, FXO_Gumiho, StarTale_Curious, aLive)
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=308127

Group B (SlayerS_MMA, FXOz, SlayerS_Puzzle, oGs_Supernova)
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=308424

Group C (SK_MC, SlayerS_GanZI, NSH_jjakji, StarTale_Parting)
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=310025

Group D (IM_Nestea, MVP_DongRaeGu, MarineKing_Prime, MVP_Genius)
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=310384
"Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself." - Proverbs 26:4
Coal
Profile Joined July 2011
Sweden1535 Posts
February 15 2012 16:14 GMT
#2
Awesome! I was waiting for these to come up :D Thanks for translating!
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
Eee
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden2712 Posts
February 15 2012 16:19 GMT
#3
For those of you wondering who Anne is, she's the founder of Fnatic.
Noocta
Profile Joined June 2010
France12578 Posts
February 15 2012 16:20 GMT
#4
It's pretty funny to see both of them being worried about the patch.
I HOPE if DRG make the finals against a Terran, the ghost nerf wont change anything too obvious.
" I'm not gonna fight you. I'm gonna kick your ass ! "
Sylailene
Profile Joined February 2011
91 Posts
February 15 2012 16:28 GMT
#5
Wouldn't mind seeing a Mc vs gumiho final :D
Philosophy
Profile Joined May 2010
186 Posts
February 15 2012 16:30 GMT
#6
Looking at all the recent interviews etc, it really seems like MC is the most feared player. Wonder if its just because of his recent GSL performance or if hes crushing everyone in practice/ladder.
MrCon
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
France29748 Posts
February 15 2012 16:31 GMT
#7
Q: You advanced to the Code S semi-finals for the first time. How does it feel?
A: I am so glad to advance to the Code S semi-finals. I think I can start having some confidence in my skills after today. Before this, whenever I got good results, I would just feel that I was lucky. However, being able to beat such a strong player today gave me more confidence in my skills. I think I have a good future to look forward to as a growing player.


He's talking about Idra, right ? :p
Thanks for the translation
Amornthep
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Singapore2605 Posts
February 15 2012 16:35 GMT
#8
Thank you very much for the interviews.
Thinasy
Profile Joined March 2011
2856 Posts
February 15 2012 16:44 GMT
#9
On February 16 2012 01:31 MrCon wrote:
Show nested quote +
Q: You advanced to the Code S semi-finals for the first time. How does it feel?
A: I am so glad to advance to the Code S semi-finals. I think I can start having some confidence in my skills after today. Before this, whenever I got good results, I would just feel that I was lucky. However, being able to beat such a strong player today gave me more confidence in my skills. I think I have a good future to look forward to as a growing player.


He's talking about Idra, right ? :p
Thanks for the translation


Idra wishes
Jaedong & Faker
Weirdkid
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Singapore2431 Posts
February 15 2012 16:45 GMT
#10
On February 16 2012 01:44 Thinasy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2012 01:31 MrCon wrote:
Q: You advanced to the Code S semi-finals for the first time. How does it feel?
A: I am so glad to advance to the Code S semi-finals. I think I can start having some confidence in my skills after today. Before this, whenever I got good results, I would just feel that I was lucky. However, being able to beat such a strong player today gave me more confidence in my skills. I think I have a good future to look forward to as a growing player.


He's talking about Idra, right ? :p
Thanks for the translation


Idra wishes


0.o What's Idra got to do with this? Haha
"Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself." - Proverbs 26:4
Zzoram
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada7115 Posts
February 15 2012 16:47 GMT
#11
Interesting that both aLive and Gumiho seem to think MC is better PvT than Genius.
illsick
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1770 Posts
February 15 2012 16:55 GMT
#12
if MC wins, the SK and fnatic rivalry would be cool to watch
you live and you learn
Thinasy
Profile Joined March 2011
2856 Posts
February 15 2012 16:57 GMT
#13
On February 16 2012 01:45 Weirdkid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2012 01:44 Thinasy wrote:
On February 16 2012 01:31 MrCon wrote:
Q: You advanced to the Code S semi-finals for the first time. How does it feel?
A: I am so glad to advance to the Code S semi-finals. I think I can start having some confidence in my skills after today. Before this, whenever I got good results, I would just feel that I was lucky. However, being able to beat such a strong player today gave me more confidence in my skills. I think I have a good future to look forward to as a growing player.


He's talking about Idra, right ? :p
Thanks for the translation


Idra wishes


0.o What's Idra got to do with this? Haha


I believe he was making a joke about the Idra vs Alive showmatch, where Alive 4-0'ed him^^, the showmatch was like 2 days ago.
Jaedong & Faker
Bagration
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States18282 Posts
February 15 2012 17:03 GMT
#14
On February 16 2012 01:57 Thinasy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2012 01:45 Weirdkid wrote:
On February 16 2012 01:44 Thinasy wrote:
On February 16 2012 01:31 MrCon wrote:
Q: You advanced to the Code S semi-finals for the first time. How does it feel?
A: I am so glad to advance to the Code S semi-finals. I think I can start having some confidence in my skills after today. Before this, whenever I got good results, I would just feel that I was lucky. However, being able to beat such a strong player today gave me more confidence in my skills. I think I have a good future to look forward to as a growing player.


He's talking about Idra, right ? :p
Thanks for the translation


Idra wishes


0.o What's Idra got to do with this? Haha


I believe he was making a joke about the Idra vs Alive showmatch, where Alive 4-0'ed him^^, the showmatch was like 2 days ago.


Wrecking a player as well known as Idra (nothing about skill, just how visible he is) so easily in 4 games has to make one feel good. I would be grinning ear to ear if I held off 2 consecutive 6 pools like that.
Team Slayers, Axiom-Acer and Vile forever
Weirdkid
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Singapore2431 Posts
February 15 2012 17:07 GMT
#15
On February 16 2012 01:57 Thinasy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 16 2012 01:45 Weirdkid wrote:
On February 16 2012 01:44 Thinasy wrote:
On February 16 2012 01:31 MrCon wrote:
Q: You advanced to the Code S semi-finals for the first time. How does it feel?
A: I am so glad to advance to the Code S semi-finals. I think I can start having some confidence in my skills after today. Before this, whenever I got good results, I would just feel that I was lucky. However, being able to beat such a strong player today gave me more confidence in my skills. I think I have a good future to look forward to as a growing player.


He's talking about Idra, right ? :p
Thanks for the translation


Idra wishes


0.o What's Idra got to do with this? Haha


I believe he was making a joke about the Idra vs Alive showmatch, where Alive 4-0'ed him^^, the showmatch was like 2 days ago.


Ohh ahha. That. Totally forgot about it
"Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself." - Proverbs 26:4
double620
Profile Joined July 2011
China804 Posts
February 16 2012 03:02 GMT
#16
Even though I love Mc, I do not expect Gumiho to call him the strongest opponent. It seems I do not understand pvt or I have not seen Mc's best pvt games yet.
iSometric
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
2221 Posts
February 16 2012 03:08 GMT
#17
Ah Slayers got lucky and now they got wrecked.
strava.com/athletes/zhaodynasty
RaiKageRyu
Profile Joined August 2009
Canada4773 Posts
February 19 2012 06:04 GMT
#18
Thanks for the interviews, WeirdKid.
Someone call down the Thunder?
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft358
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta18
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft358
Nina 99
ViBE89
SpeCial 78
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 166
Noble 77
Hyuk 60
NaDa 46
Bale 16
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm158
League of Legends
Doublelift3404
Counter-Strike
minikerr12
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox469
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4566
Khaldor632
Other Games
summit1g7719
FrodaN1740
Coldzera 805
shahzam605
JimRising 432
C9.Mang0250
KnowMe195
ArmadaUGS58
Mew2King54
CosmosSc2 14
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick775
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream89
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH351
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21480
Other Games
• imaqtpie760
• Shiphtur152
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
10h 2m
Online Event
11h 2m
FEL
16h 2m
AI Arena Tournament
17h 2m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
19h 2m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 10h
INu's Battles
1d 12h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 19h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-01
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Proleague 2026-10-02
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.