• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:10
CEST 18:10
KST 01:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)47Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8597 users

Put down the pitchforks, or lower them, at least. - Page 23

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 35 Next All
JimmyJRaynor
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada17882 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 17:15:46
February 14 2012 17:12 GMT
#441
Gold members get to see all "Pro Circuit" events.
Sundance states that the "Arena" is not part of the "Pro Circuit".

But, graphics like this are being cranked out since the announcement of the MLG Arena concept.


[image loading]


As a result, Gold Members have their pitchforks out... with some justification.

As others have already stated this new revenue model appears ill conceived and rushed out the door at the last minute.
Ray Kassar To David Crane : "you're no more important to Atari than the factory workers assembling the cartridges"
HardlyNever
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1258 Posts
February 14 2012 17:12 GMT
#442
I have several issues with this, but I'm with some of the other people who can't/wouldn't watch the whole weekend. I usually try to catch my favorite players then the semi-finals and finals at these types of events. There is no way I'd pay $20 for that kind of viewing experience, and I can't really change my viewing experience without sacrificing something else. VODs would be ok, but that just isn't that same, and I doubt I'd go rewatch them (they would be spoiled anyhow).

I might do $10, but even that seems a little high, for what I would personally get out of it. $5 is about all I could personally justify spending.

I should also mention that I watch as much SC2 as I do because it is free. As soon as it becomes anything near an expensive "hobby" I'll move on to something else free or at least something where I feel like I get more for my money.

My 2c.
Out there, the Kid learned to fend for himself. Learned to build. Learned to break.
Vasily17
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada55 Posts
February 14 2012 17:18 GMT
#443
I like that MLG is doing a PPV how ever the fact that gold members do not get the content is silly. I can see why they did this as they are comparing it to the Gomtv and there AoL tournaments as depending on which package you get you may or may not get them. However MLG is not Gom and does not have the same level of competition as Gom does. Also with Assembly be at the same time this is a poor decision by MLG as many viewers will just jump ship. I think this concept would work if the price was lowered to $15 and Gold membership included it.
Esports Canada.
Sirrush
Profile Joined May 2011
Netherlands165 Posts
February 14 2012 17:20 GMT
#444
I'm crossposting this from a Reddit thread, don't think I need to provide extra context:

I really, really want to support MLG and the industry in general, but $20 for a weekend is too much, too soon. Factor into that that their target demographic is a generally poor audience AND that we can get much more content for less ($15 for a GSL season), it becomes hard to justify throwing them $20 when quite frankly I am always almost broke. Would I have paid $10? Absolutely, in a heartbeat, I can justify it as an impulse purchase! $20, however, is way way too much.

I guess part of this is that I've never seen PPV. I know it exists, but (as far as I'm aware) not in the Netherlands. Whenever I thought "PPV" I though "So like, $5-10 for an UFC event".

On the one hand I really hope that this works out for MLG, but I also hope that they can look at their current pricing structure and realize that their key demographic (generally) doesn't have a lot of money.

And like OP said, telling us about the Winter Arena being PPV not even 2 weeks before the event starts feels like a bit of a kick in the balls. I was genuinely looking forward to the event, but now I can't help but think "Well, guess I'll just look up the scores on TL." Had we known about it sooner (like for instance similar to GSL's ticket structure), I would've been able to take my time to look at the price and my budget to see if I could fit it in, like I did with GSL.

But at this point? Sorry MLG, assuming I can still pay $10 for 3 months of Silver (and thus a MLG championship), that's all you will be getting from me.
Words.
Tivu
Profile Joined February 2012
United States244 Posts
February 14 2012 17:22 GMT
#445
Awesome post Alex!
TUski
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1258 Posts
February 14 2012 17:25 GMT
#446
Are you guys serious? There were just as many people who aren't willing to pay at all as there were who would shell out $10? If you honestly can't afford $10 for 20 hours of gameplay and content, you seriously need to take the metaphorical stick out of your ass and think about what you're conveying to MLG and other tournaments. You're not willing to pay a dime because you're entitled to free content 100% of the time? How many tournaments do you think will aim to please the fans as much as MLG has if you idiots aren't willing to pay at all for the content they provide? $10 is a solid, reasonable amount for a weekend of starcraft, not to mention the amazing production quality that MLG provides us every tournament. Look at how far they've come since Columbus last year, then think about where they can go with $10 per viewer for each event.

MLG is headed in the right direction. I hope you guys who think you're entitled to herp derp free content wake/grow up.
"There is nothing more cool than being proud of the things that you love." - Day[9]
FeyFey
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany10114 Posts
February 14 2012 17:27 GMT
#447
well i am just curious about the viewer numbers. In my experience alot that say i won't pay for it, do it anyway. So i am interested in how many mlg will get, 5k viewers or 15k. In any case a horror scenario for sponsors. But maybe mlg caught enough people in their net already, so they can life of these few viewers. Which would most likely turn all their events into ppv only.
Wonder how the second arena will fare, when everyone isn't shocked by the announcement anymore.
Kyir
Profile Joined June 2011
United States1047 Posts
February 14 2012 17:29 GMT
#448
Has it been announced if there will be ads or not? I would feel a lot more comfortable paying in the first place if I knew that it would secure me some peace of mind from those things.
MattyClutch
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States711 Posts
February 14 2012 17:30 GMT
#449
On February 14 2012 15:10 Bowzer wrote:
As a disgruntled gold member, I will be doing option C.

For me it isn't about the 20 dollars, I spent 20 dollars on supper tonight. It's the principle of how Sundance convinced us that buying gold memberships was helping pro players and e-sports, and that we'd see big things this year depending on the amount of gold subscribers they got.


This is more or less how I feel. I still feel that $20 is a bit too much compared to GSL/NASL, but the big thing for me is I have Gold and they still want $20 from me for a one off event?
Nihn'kas Neehn
SC2NeCro
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada507 Posts
February 14 2012 17:34 GMT
#450
Option B for me.
Fav Terran: forGG, aLive, Jinro ||| Fav Zerg: Moon, TLO, DRG ||| Fav Protoss: Genius, Grubby, ToD
Nizzy
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States839 Posts
February 14 2012 17:35 GMT
#451
MLG was cool when it was silver pass = like 3 MLG's online.

Now its just lame. Haven't ordered a "PPV" since I watched the WWF's Royal Rumble when I was like 12.

Just fuck off with all this MLG ARENA BATTLE, ONLINE MLG CUPS, MLG QUALIFIERS, ETC and just go back to the old format of 6 MLG's a year. It was prestigious.

already finding a way to screw it up...
Probasaur
Profile Joined August 2011
United States461 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 17:50:44
February 14 2012 17:36 GMT
#452
Because your free and membership views were doing so well last year you think you can push us around this year and be so bold to try and make us pay TWENTY DOLLARS FOR 3 DAYS?!?!? Have you lost your damn minds?? This is pure greed in its purest form. I see you want to be UFC successful. However this isn't UFC levels of popularity.

Our scene is no where near that form. We have so many alternatives and albeit MLG is a huge event I greatly look forward to, its not worth it for someone who makes 8bucks an hour to pay 3hrs worth of their hard work. Have you completely forgotten what your majority fanbase is? They're kids like me who are still working small jobs and paying to go to school. Who just cant afford it.

As I was reading it from the start when I saw you were gonna be making it a PPV I said to myself
"Well it better only be $5 or else this is a huge fail and a huge greedy move."

Then I saw the 20 and it was "Nope, no way. Never"


This is a sad day in esports. If this was a year from now and the scene had continued to exponentially grow as it did from 2010 to 2011. Then MAYBE this would work. But its not. And you need to hurry up and change this now. Make different packs.

Free for 240p... 5 dollars for 480p. 10 for 720p and 20 for HD. And VOD's should all be included, if you payed to watch it during stream you should be able to watch it forever.

Maybe not free for 240p... the whole point is to start making money, and I'm starting to agree with your sentiment.
"He who makes a beast of himself.... gets rid of the pain of being a man" -Hunter S Thompson.
neoghaleon55
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7435 Posts
February 14 2012 17:39 GMT
#453
MLG has always rubbed me the wrong way when it comes to PR.
Starting from the time Sundance showed up at SotG to discuss extended series.

Basically it came down to...
...for every complaint about MLG, Sundance replied:
"Do you see any other successful North American leagues around? I don't think so! Deal with it!"

They are very headstrong about their beliefs and no amount of fan whining will stop them.
Which means the PPV is probably here to stay...
moo...for DRG
RvB
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands6322 Posts
February 14 2012 17:39 GMT
#454
On February 15 2012 02:25 TUski wrote:
Are you guys serious? There were just as many people who aren't willing to pay at all as there were who would shell out $10? If you honestly can't afford $10 for 20 hours of gameplay and content, you seriously need to take the metaphorical stick out of your ass and think about what you're conveying to MLG and other tournaments. You're not willing to pay a dime because you're entitled to free content 100% of the time? How many tournaments do you think will aim to please the fans as much as MLG has if you idiots aren't willing to pay at all for the content they provide? $10 is a solid, reasonable amount for a weekend of starcraft, not to mention the amazing production quality that MLG provides us every tournament. Look at how far they've come since Columbus last year, then think about where they can go with $10 per viewer for each event.

MLG is headed in the right direction. I hope you guys who think you're entitled to herp derp free content wake/grow up.


Why dont you grow up yourself, i just dont think mlg is worth 20 bucks. Its at night, their stream always sucks for me and their are better alternatives that are cheaper (gsl). Plus the only thing that makes mlg worth it for me(the crowd) isn't even there this event.
No need to be such an ass because people dont agree with you
DwD
Profile Joined January 2010
Sweden8621 Posts
February 14 2012 17:40 GMT
#455
For myself I find it hard to justify to pay for any event when there are so many games going on and free tournaments and even some in free HD. Just looking at the people who are streaming, top names! Why would I pay.. doesn't make any sense.. and paying 20$ like 6 times for all events? No thanks.
~ T-ARA ~ DREAMCATCHER ~ EVERGLOW ~ OH MY GIRL ~ DIA ~ BOL4 ~ CHUNGHA ~
Souljah
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States423 Posts
February 14 2012 17:48 GMT
#456
Interesting perspective.. you made some great points, and I can understand why you are not participating. Viewership is your bread and butter, and you have a responsibility to your sponsors to market their product as much as possible.
Probasaur
Profile Joined August 2011
United States461 Posts
February 14 2012 17:50 GMT
#457
On February 15 2012 02:39 RvB wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 02:25 TUski wrote:
Are you guys serious? There were just as many people who aren't willing to pay at all as there were who would shell out $10? If you honestly can't afford $10 for 20 hours of gameplay and content, you seriously need to take the metaphorical stick out of your ass and think about what you're conveying to MLG and other tournaments. You're not willing to pay a dime because you're entitled to free content 100% of the time? How many tournaments do you think will aim to please the fans as much as MLG has if you idiots aren't willing to pay at all for the content they provide? $10 is a solid, reasonable amount for a weekend of starcraft, not to mention the amazing production quality that MLG provides us every tournament. Look at how far they've come since Columbus last year, then think about where they can go with $10 per viewer for each event.

MLG is headed in the right direction. I hope you guys who think you're entitled to herp derp free content wake/grow up.


Why dont you grow up yourself, i just dont think mlg is worth 20 bucks. Its at night, their stream always sucks for me and their are better alternatives that are cheaper (gsl). Plus the only thing that makes mlg worth it for me(the crowd) isn't even there this event.
No need to be such an ass because people dont agree with you


I didn't see him being an 'ass' in the least bit. He's annoyed as well he should be that people who supposedly "support" this community isn't willing to actually stand up and support it when the time comes.

10 dollars is reasonable. 20 is not. I'll pay 10, never 20.

If VODs aren't included with 10 I won't be buying it either. If you pay to watch something streamed you get it permanently. Also if its not HD I can't bring myself to spend money on it either so if you're thinking about doing some cop out MLG where 10 for low quality? Then forget it.
"He who makes a beast of himself.... gets rid of the pain of being a man" -Hunter S Thompson.
viOLetFanClub
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Korea (South)390 Posts
February 14 2012 17:50 GMT
#458
People ITT:

[image loading]

User was warned for this post
bovineblitz
Profile Joined September 2010
United States314 Posts
February 14 2012 17:51 GMT
#459
On February 15 2012 02:25 TUski wrote:
Are you guys serious? There were just as many people who aren't willing to pay at all as there were who would shell out $10? If you honestly can't afford $10 for 20 hours of gameplay and content, you seriously need to take the metaphorical stick out of your ass and think about what you're conveying to MLG and other tournaments. You're not willing to pay a dime because you're entitled to free content 100% of the time? How many tournaments do you think will aim to please the fans as much as MLG has if you idiots aren't willing to pay at all for the content they provide? $10 is a solid, reasonable amount for a weekend of starcraft, not to mention the amazing production quality that MLG provides us every tournament. Look at how far they've come since Columbus last year, then think about where they can go with $10 per viewer for each event.

MLG is headed in the right direction. I hope you guys who think you're entitled to herp derp free content wake/grow up.


How many times are people going to repeat themselves.

The point is NOT that I don't have $20. It's just not. Please get that through your heads.
red4ce
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States7313 Posts
February 14 2012 17:52 GMT
#460
I know the polls aren't scientific but with 15% of people in the MLG thread saying they'd pay $20 and 40% of the people in this thread saying they'd pay $10, simple math would indicate that MLG mispriced their product.
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 35 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
IntoTheiNu 1225
ComeBackTV 618
SteadfastSC453
TaKeTV 446
LamboSC2398
IndyStarCraft 167
Rex132
EnkiAlexander 57
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
13:00
King of the Hill #263
EmpressLilyy23
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 453
LamboSC2 398
mouzHeroMarine 215
IndyStarCraft 167
ProTech152
Rex 132
BRAT_OK 80
UpATreeSC 62
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 32665
Shuttle 1872
Mini 921
EffOrt 893
Light 577
Rush 335
firebathero 329
Soma 303
Snow 206
ZerO 174
[ Show more ]
hero 163
sorry 63
Sea.KH 57
Killer 44
Yoon 41
Liquid`Ret 34
Shinee 32
ToSsGirL 30
Mong 29
Sexy 24
Bale 21
soO 20
Trap 19
Shine 18
Free 12
Sacsri 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Terrorterran 8
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc8542
qojqva1339
Dendi1023
420jenkins155
Counter-Strike
fl0m1268
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2006
crisheroes1284
XaKoH 192
MindelVK11
Other Games
singsing1876
B2W.Neo1080
Hui .193
Liquid`VortiX168
ArmadaUGS145
Beastyqt131
KnowMe121
QueenE107
Mew2King76
ToD50
Trikslyr50
Dewaltoss35
ZerO(Twitch)20
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream90
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 4
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile117
• Gemini_19 17
• Adnapsc2 1
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 18
• FirePhoenix14
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3225
• TFBlade1104
Other Games
• Shiphtur246
• WagamamaTV204
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 50m
Stellar Fest
20h 50m
OSC
1d 5h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 17h
Online Event
1d 18h
FEL
1d 23h
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.