• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:33
CEST 11:33
KST 18:33
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8848 users

Coca forfeits Code S due to ESV weekly scandal - Page 50

Forum Index > SC2 General
1944 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 98 Next
Valikyr
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden2653 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 08:57:03
November 15 2011 08:56 GMT
#981
On November 15 2011 17:49 Whitewing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2011 17:45 mrkent wrote:
I have a very serious question here that I hope people will address:

Did anything ever came of the MVP vs Nestea game at Blizzcon? This coca vs byun case doesn't seem to be premeditated, where as blizzcon game would be (if in fact fixed). However there is no hard evidence of MVP and Nestea fixing it.

I think 2 players with 6 championships possibly fixing their matches is infinitely worse than what what coca and byun did. I can't believe they weren't even asked about it.


There's no evidence that it was fixed, and a lot of pro players said it looked real and probably wasn't faked (zerg felt like he had no options).

Nestea just became zergbong for a few minutes.

OnTopic: I think it's a good decision by SlayerS. Match fixing must NEVER be allowed and it's good to see how serious they are taking it. So disappointed at CoCa. He was one of my favourite zergs.
Fubi
Profile Joined March 2011
2228 Posts
November 15 2011 08:57 GMT
#982
On November 15 2011 17:54 Strydor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2011 17:47 Zeddicus wrote:
I feel this is about equivalent to this type of situation:

+ Show Spoiler +

A goalie celebrates too early, and ends up letting a goal go by while celebrating


Coca made a ballsy move and ended up losing. I don't see how anyone can call this match fixing. I see it as "I just wanted to play one more game". He looks like an idiot for not taking the win when he should have. That's all the more punishment he needs.

This kind of reaction is baffling:

On November 15 2011 17:25 Strydor wrote:
Now Coca on the other hand. It's obvious that he threw the game, regardless of the reasons. He was caught red handed with video and picture proof, not just some person going "Hey, I think they fixed the match." and saying things based on evidence that had not yet been brought to light.

What Coca did, to put it crudely, is throw all the hard work that the organisers of the tournament did to get to the level it is back to their faces. It could also have cost potential sponsors with a mark like this which calls into question the legitimacy of e-sports tournaments.


Are you serious? Caught red handed? He wasn't hiding anything. Calls into question the legitimacy of e-sports? I just don't see it at all.


On November 15 2011 17:25 .Sic. wrote:
2. Coca blatantly left a game that he had won. He took a tournament as a joke, thereby taking away its legitimacy.
...
4. Right now, his mere presence in code S is a stain on the legitimacy of the Korean SC2 scene
Conclusion:
1. It was necessary for Coca to forfeit his spot to ensure the survival of starcraft 2 in Korea


How would Starcraft 2 die if Coca didn't forfeit his spot? How is Coca being around do anything to the legitimacy of SC2? We have people smurfing in tournaments in the foreign scene and nothing is said, no action is taken. That is far worse than this. And even so, it still doesn't matter. It's not a big deal. SC2 will go on. MLB Players are going to use steroids, but Baseball will go on. This doesn't even come close to comparing to Steroids. People love to drum up their drama at the drop of a hat, but this is the most ludicrous overreaction I've ever seen.


So, how would you tell if Coca meets another teammate in Code S and loses by playing badly? I meant that he got caught doing something he should not even have contemplating doing, it throws away the legitimacy by showing that he's doing this more for entertainment than playing to win, like a professional player should be doing.

If I wanted to watch players win in scripted matches, I'd be watching WWE. I watch Starcraft 2 to support the players I like and hope that they win in fair and straight up matches. If they get cheesed out... too bad, but at least they played fairly.

The matches themselves weren't scripted.
Also, Coca seems to only did this because there was nothing on the line for him, there was no gain for winning and not loss for losing either. All he wanted was practice and he got what he wanted
Pandemona *
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Charlie Sheens House51493 Posts
November 15 2011 08:58 GMT
#983
Lol.....

WTF 0.O this is crazy and so stupid, why would you do this!? Rofl atleast type on MSN so the whole fkn stream cant see lol wtf. If you cheat atleast do it fkn properly lmao

sigh kids these days!
ModeratorTeam Liquid Football Thread Guru! - Chelsea FC ♥
figq
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
12519 Posts
November 15 2011 08:58 GMT
#984
They shouldn't have submitted the replays, and instead just state that Coca forfeits, and there would have been no trouble, because official forfeits are accepted by everyone.

But they submitted them, and most of us were well satisfied to see their play overall. Much better than no games. If only there was some warning note, like: "Coca forfeits, but if you like you can cast these games just for build content value".

Forfeiting isn't cheating. The insanity is the opposite -- trying to punish and coerce people into never forfeiting. Sorry, but friendship doesn't kill esports.
If you stand next to my head, you can hear the ocean. - Day[9]
Hemula
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Russian Federation1849 Posts
November 15 2011 08:58 GMT
#985
The punishment is kinda too hard for a simple stupidity... ㅠ_ㅠ
TaCo123
Profile Joined July 2011
Mexico7 Posts
November 15 2011 08:58 GMT
#986
Humm, these kids should get banned from the GSL.

I don't think that what they did deserves for them to be banned but if savior is banned from the GSL for match fixing in another league, then I believe that they too should be banned for match fixing in another league.

The way I see it there is no difference between them and savior, except for savior being a god...
Divine-Sneaker
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark1225 Posts
November 15 2011 09:00 GMT
#987
Oh wow, that really is pretty dumb by them. They should have realized what they were about to do. Sad for them both after earning their spots. Good however to see the respective teams take action quickly.
hoivenmayven
Profile Joined April 2011
United States134 Posts
November 15 2011 09:00 GMT
#988
[image loading]

"I'm sorry. I'm truly sorry."

Why Byunnn? Why?
Gijian
Profile Joined February 2011
United States273 Posts
November 15 2011 09:00 GMT
#989
Perhaps a temporarily ban from korean tournament, but SlayerS should allow CoCa to play oversea. I think CoCa could rebuild his credential by succeeding oversea tournaments.
DeathPengu
Profile Joined January 2011
Taiwan137 Posts
November 15 2011 09:01 GMT
#990
I don't know what to say... it's a tragedy.

I can understand the punishment, but I also want to say that
as a audience, I don't feel THAT MUCH be insulted by their action.

You can feel they are 50% joking becuase they type the words on
the screen, not by other more secret means. I really hope they can
get warned and still can show us good games.

Hope we can see Coca and Byun on GSL very soon.
Strydor
Profile Joined August 2011
Singapore95 Posts
November 15 2011 09:02 GMT
#991
On November 15 2011 17:57 Fubi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2011 17:54 Strydor wrote:
On November 15 2011 17:47 Zeddicus wrote:
I feel this is about equivalent to this type of situation:

+ Show Spoiler +
http://youtu.be/AJ5DPBnHPqo
A goalie celebrates too early, and ends up letting a goal go by while celebrating


Coca made a ballsy move and ended up losing. I don't see how anyone can call this match fixing. I see it as "I just wanted to play one more game". He looks like an idiot for not taking the win when he should have. That's all the more punishment he needs.

This kind of reaction is baffling:

On November 15 2011 17:25 Strydor wrote:
Now Coca on the other hand. It's obvious that he threw the game, regardless of the reasons. He was caught red handed with video and picture proof, not just some person going "Hey, I think they fixed the match." and saying things based on evidence that had not yet been brought to light.

What Coca did, to put it crudely, is throw all the hard work that the organisers of the tournament did to get to the level it is back to their faces. It could also have cost potential sponsors with a mark like this which calls into question the legitimacy of e-sports tournaments.


Are you serious? Caught red handed? He wasn't hiding anything. Calls into question the legitimacy of e-sports? I just don't see it at all.


On November 15 2011 17:25 .Sic. wrote:
2. Coca blatantly left a game that he had won. He took a tournament as a joke, thereby taking away its legitimacy.
...
4. Right now, his mere presence in code S is a stain on the legitimacy of the Korean SC2 scene
Conclusion:
1. It was necessary for Coca to forfeit his spot to ensure the survival of starcraft 2 in Korea


How would Starcraft 2 die if Coca didn't forfeit his spot? How is Coca being around do anything to the legitimacy of SC2? We have people smurfing in tournaments in the foreign scene and nothing is said, no action is taken. That is far worse than this. And even so, it still doesn't matter. It's not a big deal. SC2 will go on. MLB Players are going to use steroids, but Baseball will go on. This doesn't even come close to comparing to Steroids. People love to drum up their drama at the drop of a hat, but this is the most ludicrous overreaction I've ever seen.


So, how would you tell if Coca meets another teammate in Code S and loses by playing badly? I meant that he got caught doing something he should not even have contemplating doing, it throws away the legitimacy by showing that he's doing this more for entertainment than playing to win, like a professional player should be doing.

If I wanted to watch players win in scripted matches, I'd be watching WWE. I watch Starcraft 2 to support the players I like and hope that they win in fair and straight up matches. If they get cheesed out... too bad, but at least they played fairly.

The matches themselves weren't scripted.
Also, Coca seems to only did this because there was nothing on the line for him, there was no gain for winning and not loss for losing either. All he wanted was practice and he got what he wanted


True, they weren't... but the outcome was determined in a non-legitimate manner, to me it's still the same thing.

That said, it's my own opinion. I felt the punishments were justifiably harsh and a smart thing to do, seeing as the situation could have easily snowballed into something much bigger.
SevenShots
Profile Joined November 2011
Germany84 Posts
November 15 2011 09:03 GMT
#992
This honestly sucks...
Well the problem is that you can win a code A spot in this tournament.
So i understand the upset...

But i don't think they really thought about this.
crawlingchaos
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada2025 Posts
November 15 2011 09:03 GMT
#993
On November 15 2011 18:00 hoivenmayven wrote:
[image loading]

"I'm sorry. I'm truly sorry."

Why Byunnn? Why?

Awww, how can anyone be mad at a guy with that avatar? ^_^
They say that life's a carousel, spinning fast you've gotta ride it well, the world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams, it's heaven and hell, oh well.
Jesushooves
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada553 Posts
November 15 2011 09:03 GMT
#994
On November 15 2011 18:01 DeathPengu wrote:
I don't know what to say... it's a tragedy.

I can understand the punishment, but I also want to say that
as a audience, I don't feel THAT MUCH be insulted by their action.

You can feel they are 50% joking becuase they type the words on
the screen, not by other more secret means. I really hope they can
get warned and still can show us good games.

Hope we can see Coca and Byun on GSL very soon.

Please.. people react enough to this stupid sc2 drama without you throwing in "tragedy"
Lose its good, after will be win.
Kreb
Profile Joined September 2010
4834 Posts
November 15 2011 09:04 GMT
#995
Wow, brain fart indeed.

Punishment is good, if only for the purpose of making people think twice. Becaues quite honestly they hardly thought twice about it, if even once. This was probably a case of not taking the tourny serious at all and not even considering the consequenses it could bring. Had they truly been scheming about it, they'd hardly have done it in public. Their stupidity saves them from harsher punishment imo, and I hope they get back soon.
Heavenly
Profile Joined January 2011
2172 Posts
November 15 2011 09:04 GMT
#996
Out of curiosity, would people actually care as much if Coca just randomly forfeited instead of playing it out and said he had other stuff to do?
"thx for all my fans i'm many lost but cheer for me .. i lost but so happy my power is fans i will good play this is promise my fans" - oGsMC
Ponyo
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States1231 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 09:07:29
November 15 2011 09:06 GMT
#997
Um, I feel like their mistake was getting caught. If a match doesn't matter to someone then they aren't going to take it seriously and that's kind of the tournys fault. Maybe this is too different to make a connection.. But at IPL3 ? Idra didn't even want/need to play in the pool play and forfeited all his rounds, because he was the same seed no matter what. Of course it was because he was tired or w./e, but the same basic principle should apply, IMO. So, i guess the biggest thing about this is the culture, and the overreaction, like they are smart guys, they probably didn't expect it to go down this way. I mean they could even pm themselves ingame and have accomplished the same thing.

TLDR: punishment does not suit the crime.
ponyo.848
mrkent
Profile Joined January 2010
United States160 Posts
November 15 2011 09:06 GMT
#998
On November 15 2011 17:49 Whitewing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 15 2011 17:45 mrkent wrote:
I have a very serious question here that I hope people will address:

Did anything ever came of the MVP vs Nestea game at Blizzcon? This coca vs byun case doesn't seem to be premeditated, where as blizzcon game would be (if in fact fixed). However there is no hard evidence of MVP and Nestea fixing it.

I think 2 players with 6 championships possibly fixing their matches is infinitely worse than what what coca and byun did. I can't believe they weren't even asked about it.


There's no evidence that it was fixed, and a lot of pro players said it looked real and probably wasn't faked (zerg felt like he had no options).


For that 10 minutes from when Nestea grew his bank from 5k to 10k and MVP was just taking his 4th base you mean? He had no options?

Here's what I think happened: MVP can obviously beat Nestea, as well as anyone else in that tournament. He let Nestea have a free 2nd place while he come back from the losers bracket. They planned for an "epic" match, but totally bombed it.

I would very much appreciate a link to these pro player quotes defending Nestea tho. And more importantly, is Nestea himself quoted denying allegations?
Fubi
Profile Joined March 2011
2228 Posts
November 15 2011 09:06 GMT
#999
On November 15 2011 18:03 SevenShots wrote:
This honestly sucks...
Well the problem is that you can win a code A spot in this tournament.
So i understand the upset...

But i don't think they really thought about this.

For like the 2308432th time in this thread, you CAN NOT win code A spot in this tournament.
Hnnngg
Profile Joined June 2011
United States1101 Posts
November 15 2011 09:06 GMT
#1000
I remember when White-Ra match-fixed in the open bracket at MLG.

Sad stuff, to see these progamers fall from their pedestals of crowning human achievement and sully their souls with promises of money and whores.

Or not.
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 98 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 27m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech14
StarCraft: Brood War
Zeus 410
Horang2 320
Larva 269
EffOrt 247
Mind 65
Hyun 55
scan(afreeca) 47
sorry 45
Pusan 43
ggaemo 43
[ Show more ]
Killer 42
Bale 41
NotJumperer 38
Sharp 33
Sacsri 19
Shinee 19
Barracks 18
Yoon 15
Hm[arnc] 12
Noble 5
Dota 2
febbydoto103
League of Legends
JimRising 404
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1240
edward178
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King105
Other Games
summit1g7831
ceh9663
Happy450
crisheroes193
Sick172
dupreeh76
Pyrionflax7
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick557
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• LUISG 0
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2282
League of Legends
• Jankos1076
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
27m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1h 27m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
14h 27m
Patches Events
1d 6h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.