• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:59
CEST 03:59
KST 10:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War385.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9453 users

Season 3 coming to an end... - Page 13

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 30 Next All
StatX
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Canada343 Posts
October 04 2011 19:30 GMT
#241
I think shorter seasons might be a good thing. If we see map rotations every seasons and the turn around of GM every so often, we might see new players rising that couldn't because someone played 24/7 the first 2 weeks.
Can we snipe it? Yes we can!
Snuggles
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1865 Posts
October 04 2011 19:33 GMT
#242
I hope I'll get lucky and replace some low Master players next season. Those bastards need to go =P. Honestly if you're just playing to improve your skill and have fun, ladder rank means a lot less. But people judge you immediately based on your league, then it becomes an issue.

I'm tired of condescending players looking down on me. I already acknowledge that I'm not a "Masters" player but my level of skill should not be immediately be thrown out of the window.
Big J
Profile Joined March 2011
Austria16289 Posts
October 04 2011 19:44 GMT
#243
Don't care. MMR doesn't change in between seasons, so it doesn't make the slightest difference.
I'm gonna play that one placement match and regardless of how it ends, I will be Masters afterwards (or whatever league I'm in then)
As there is no league identity anyways ("hey look, I'm in league 'weird name'. I'm always playing against guys of this league and try to become #1")
iAmJeffReY
Profile Joined August 2010
United States4262 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-04 19:51:25
October 04 2011 19:49 GMT
#244
8-4... 300 or so points masters... facing 1400-1600 master, and grandmaster with a 900 bonus pool...

Oh lord the grueling journey I am going to undertake.... From 8-4 to 50-64 here we go!!!!

edit -- gotta get over this ladder hatred. I never feel 'warm' and yet somehow I keep winning games I shouldn't. I need to play more, maybe the short season can force that.
Unbiased biased terran abuser Jeffrey. Sorry for the rage, friend!
Tatari
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States1179 Posts
October 04 2011 19:51 GMT
#245
Sigh... this is forcing me to grind out games. Gotta spend that 300+ bonus points I got from getting promoted into Master league T_T.
A fed jungler is no longer a jungler, but a terrorist.
c0ldfusion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States8293 Posts
October 04 2011 20:01 GMT
#246
On a related note, I saw a few posts on that thread in the Blizz forum by guys claiming that if you skip a season entirely your MMR is reset, i.e. they claim that they did not play a single game in season 2 and when they resumed play during season 3, they had to redo all 5 placement matches.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?
AnachronisticAnarchy
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States2957 Posts
October 04 2011 20:05 GMT
#247
I like the new shorter seasons. First and foremost, grandmaster league is no longer a stagnant set of players who, for some of them, should be cycled out for another. Another cool part is that season times are more organized and that your career page will be more accurate at how it displays your progress through.
"How are you?" "I am fine, because it is not normal to scream in pain."
MenSol[ZerO]
Profile Joined January 2010
Canada1134 Posts
October 04 2011 20:16 GMT
#248
i don't really care since you always keep your mmr, i just hope maps keep on switching out because i hate playing the same maps for to long
Prime/MarineKing!!! www.twitter.com/DayTripperSC
sjschmidt93
Profile Joined April 2010
United States2518 Posts
October 04 2011 20:20 GMT
#249
Seasons are way too quick.
My grandpa could've proxied better, and not only does he have arthritis, he's also dead. -Sean "Day[9]" Plott
Ben...
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3485 Posts
October 04 2011 20:25 GMT
#250
I honestly hope the vast majority of the maps are switched out for maps from that Blizzard contest or tournament maps (gogo Daybreak!). I would not be sad to see Backwater Gulch, Abyssal Caverns, and Typhon Peaks go. Especially if they brought back Metalopolis instead (perhaps revamped a little, but not too much. No close positions etc.).
"Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide" -Tastosis
StryderP
Profile Joined October 2011
United States1 Post
October 04 2011 20:27 GMT
#251
On October 05 2011 05:01 c0ldfusion wrote:
On a related note, I saw a few posts on that thread in the Blizz forum by guys claiming that if you skip a season entirely your MMR is reset, i.e. they claim that they did not play a single game in season 2 and when they resumed play during season 3, they had to redo all 5 placement matches.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

This is correct. I played during season one but I did not play at all season 2. When I started to play again during season 3 I had to do all 5 placement matches.
c0ldfusion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States8293 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-04 20:34:51
October 04 2011 20:31 GMT
#252
On October 05 2011 05:27 StryderP wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2011 05:01 c0ldfusion wrote:
On a related note, I saw a few posts on that thread in the Blizz forum by guys claiming that if you skip a season entirely your MMR is reset, i.e. they claim that they did not play a single game in season 2 and when they resumed play during season 3, they had to redo all 5 placement matches.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

This is correct. I played during season one but I did not play at all season 2. When I started to play again during season 3 I had to do all 5 placement matches.


Thank you!

Did your placement matches feel normal, i.e. did not feel like it was leaning towards your old MMR?

Now that seasons are shorter, this could be a cheap way of resetting your MMR - just don't play for 2 months.
Ignorant prodigy
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States385 Posts
October 04 2011 21:09 GMT
#253
I think it may be a good thing to have shorter seasons.. this is how I envision it working..
Since we sort of agree MRR is a moving target, I think the qty of people actively playing the game effects which ranking certain MMR ranges fall into.
This would mean the shorter season weeds out the newer players quicker.. making the variance in skill between the rankings a bit less diluted.

For instance if Blizzard is trying to maintain certain percentages of its overall populace into different leagues then shorter seasons reduce the qty of inactive players accounting for those percentages. Meaning your ranking will be more accurate to your skill level amongst active players.

I created a quick chart to sort of show what I’m saying.
Let’s say right now there’s 50,000 people who’ve played their placement matches in S3.
Lets also guesstimate Blizzard wishes to maintain 23% of that 50,000 be dedicated to Bronze (12,750 Players in bronze)
If S4 comes along and only 30,000 players have played their placement matches, that 23% shows a lower number of people (7,650 in bronze)
Meaning the MMR would slide accordingly.

My example shows that in S3 a player with 1780 MMR is Platinum, whereas in S4 that MMR has this player in Diamond. Obviously if S4 grows to 50,000 people and the player in the example below never played a game, then he would drop back down in Platinum.

[image loading]


Of course.. this is all guessing on my part.. I just sort of envision it working this way.
http://www.twitch.tv/ignorantprodigy playing masters random with no hotkeys......big pimpin'
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12258 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-04 21:17:16
October 04 2011 21:16 GMT
#254
On October 05 2011 06:09 Ignorant prodigy wrote:
I think it may be a good thing to have shorter seasons.. this is how I envision it working..
Since we sort of agree MRR is a moving target, I think the qty of people actively playing the game effects which ranking certain MMR ranges fall into.
This would mean the shorter season weeds out the newer players quicker.. making the variance in skill between the rankings a bit less diluted.

For instance if Blizzard is trying to maintain certain percentages of its overall populace into different leagues then shorter seasons reduce the qty of inactive players accounting for those percentages. Meaning your ranking will be more accurate to your skill level amongst active players.

I created a quick chart to sort of show what I’m saying.
Let’s say right now there’s 50,000 people who’ve played their placement matches in S3.
Lets also guesstimate Blizzard wishes to maintain 23% of that 50,000 be dedicated to Bronze (12,750 Players in bronze)
If S4 comes along and only 30,000 players have played their placement matches, that 23% shows a lower number of people (7,650 in bronze)
Meaning the MMR would slide accordingly.

My example shows that in S3 a player with 1780 MMR is Platinum, whereas in S4 that MMR has this player in Diamond. Obviously if S4 grows to 50,000 people and the player in the example below never played a game, then he would drop back down in Platinum.

[image loading]


Of course.. this is all guessing on my part.. I just sort of envision it working this way.


Nah the MMR boundaries for the leagues are fixed. It's the population that varies, not the league boundaries. MMR isn't a moving target. It's more like this:

[image loading]
Moderator
Ignorant prodigy
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States385 Posts
October 04 2011 21:17 GMT
#255
well... forget what I posted! hahaha
http://www.twitch.tv/ignorantprodigy playing masters random with no hotkeys......big pimpin'
BoilOlo
Profile Joined April 2011
United States139 Posts
October 04 2011 21:28 GMT
#256
i feel this hurts the players like me, who can only play a few times each week because of work or school or w/e. trying to use up all my bonus pool points seems like a challenge in itself.
never cook bacon naked.
Thurokiir
Profile Joined June 2010
United States779 Posts
October 04 2011 21:33 GMT
#257
Why are people caring about bonus pool when the method of getting promoted is your MMR?

Did I miss something or has the majority of sc2 players gone full retard?
Tahts halo dont worry
MangoTango
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States3670 Posts
October 04 2011 21:34 GMT
#258
So can they finally fix the 2v2 maps next season? Please? Pretty please? None of this Discord IV stuff?
"One fish, two fish, red fish, BLUE TANK!" - Artosis
c0ldfusion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States8293 Posts
October 04 2011 21:56 GMT
#259
On October 05 2011 06:33 Thurokiir wrote:
Why are people caring about bonus pool when the method of getting promoted is your MMR?

Did I miss something or has the majority of sc2 players gone full retard?



The "career" page of your profile is based on where you place within your division at the end of the season. So, at least cosmetically speaking, bonus pool does matter.
c0ldfusion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States8293 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-04 22:12:05
October 04 2011 22:08 GMT
#260
On October 05 2011 06:16 Excalibur_Z wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2011 06:09 Ignorant prodigy wrote:
I think it may be a good thing to have shorter seasons.. this is how I envision it working..
Since we sort of agree MRR is a moving target, I think the qty of people actively playing the game effects which ranking certain MMR ranges fall into.
This would mean the shorter season weeds out the newer players quicker.. making the variance in skill between the rankings a bit less diluted.

For instance if Blizzard is trying to maintain certain percentages of its overall populace into different leagues then shorter seasons reduce the qty of inactive players accounting for those percentages. Meaning your ranking will be more accurate to your skill level amongst active players.

I created a quick chart to sort of show what I’m saying.
Let’s say right now there’s 50,000 people who’ve played their placement matches in S3.
Lets also guesstimate Blizzard wishes to maintain 23% of that 50,000 be dedicated to Bronze (12,750 Players in bronze)
If S4 comes along and only 30,000 players have played their placement matches, that 23% shows a lower number of people (7,650 in bronze)
Meaning the MMR would slide accordingly.

My example shows that in S3 a player with 1780 MMR is Platinum, whereas in S4 that MMR has this player in Diamond. Obviously if S4 grows to 50,000 people and the player in the example below never played a game, then he would drop back down in Platinum.

[image loading]

Of course.. this is all guessing on my part.. I just sort of envision it working this way.


Nah the MMR boundaries for the leagues are fixed. It's the population that varies, not the league boundaries. MMR isn't a moving target. It's more like this:

[image loading]



Whoa, wait a minute, how would Blizzard maintain the 20/20/20/20/18/2 ratio if MMR boundaries are fixed?

Edit: Nevermind, read the ladder thread again, I guess the MMR is "redistributed".
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 30 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings112
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiLiPiLi 19
RuFF_SC2 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1138
Sharp 58
Bale 33
Dota 2
monkeys_forever553
NeuroSwarm210
League of Legends
Doublelift5009
Counter-Strike
taco 630
Other Games
summit1g7512
JimRising 530
C9.Mang0289
ViBE149
ToD74
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick770
BasetradeTV177
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 115
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP91
• poizon28 38
• davetesta27
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1158
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
8h 1m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
10h 1m
AI Arena Tournament
15h 1m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
17h 1m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 8h
Patches Events
1d 13h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.