• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:24
CEST 02:24
KST 09:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8495 users

'TSL expelled from SC2 Conference' - Page 51

Forum Index > SC2 General
1124 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 49 50 51 52 53 57 Next
Zinthar
Profile Joined March 2011
United States394 Posts
August 05 2011 06:48 GMT
#1001
On August 05 2011 12:51 Condor Hero wrote:

EG just talking to Puma was unprofessional because he clearly was representing another team at a competition. His team paid for him to compete, not looking for other offers.


Actually, his team did not pay for him to compete at the NASL -- NASL paid for that trip. He was not at a team competition, he was playing for himself. He also was not under contract with TSL.

The lack of contract is particularly important because the association that TSL players had amongst one another was really more of an at will partnership which could be broken at any time for any reason. TSL provided food and a team house for its players, while TSL's most recognizable faces attracted sponsorship dollars for the team.

Before I thought TSL's coach was just a terrible businessman who was clueless about to how to run an organization. After reading this, however, Coach Lee's intentions were clearly more insidious than I had imagined. The man was trying to use FD and Trickster (and he succeeded, as he likely will never pay them what is owed), and it's sad that he's using Killer and Clide even still. Does anyone believe that Lee didn't pressure Killer and Clide into paying their wages into the operating budget?

Manager Lee should have no part in the e-sports community. After these events, I highly doubt that TSL will be able to attract any sponsors and improve their financial position. The team will likely disband, Lee will be excised of his "team manager" title for good in the SC2 scene, and this charade can end.
sashamunguia
Profile Joined February 2011
Mexico423 Posts
August 05 2011 06:56 GMT
#1002
It's a little shoking to hear this from one of the supposedly most respectable/trustworthy/beloved/caring coaches of Korea, but well... if it was just a lie I'm glad to know this before it's too late and ppl starts yelling he's the best coach/guy on earth... oh wait

Reading of TSL players as victims, and he as a not honest coach well, not a nice picture to be on mind.



can't wait to read what else is there to say

"only the need for meaning changes how you feel about what you see" "he who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life" "being a Rebel is as stupid as to be completely Obedient"
Z3kk
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4099 Posts
August 05 2011 06:57 GMT
#1003
It sort of feels sad that the unpaid wages are still so low in amount though

Thanks for the translation~
Failure is not falling down over and over again. Failure is refusing to get back up.
Zinthar
Profile Joined March 2011
United States394 Posts
August 05 2011 06:59 GMT
#1004
On August 05 2011 15:24 histrionic wrote:
It doesn't say if Coach Lee is going to pay those "fines."

(note: I'm just going to refer to TSL/CoachLee as TSL. I'm not suggesting the team of players be punished)

Ok so TSL has been "expelled" or withdrawn from the SC2Con as the SC2Con said would happen if TSL didn't pay the ordered reparations. What "further measures" can SC2Con really take if they can't enforce these "monetary disciplinary actions" and aren't going to ban/tempban TSL from league play? (I'm not saying they SHOULD ban TSL)
Does TSL even really lose anything from withdrawing/being banned from SC2Con (besides losing rep)?

I guess I'm mostly questioning the usefulness of this SC2Con if it has no real power.


If you define "real" power as the ability to enforce the judgment against TSL in any event, then no, SC2Con has no real power.

However, expulsion from SC2Con as the alternative punishment and the associated shame with the expulsion will result in tangible consequences for TSL, most likely in the form of lesser ability to attact new players, keep existing players, and acquire sponsors.

SC2Con membership ensures that all member teams abide by certain rules, and that certainty is a key selling point the team. Why would a TSL player rely on a contract when it seems that Manager Lee is willing to unilaterally breach it? I'm not sure what Korean contract law entails, but a lawsuit as the player's remedy is probably prohibitively expensive. A respected body like SC2Con that can adjudicate disputes within the community cheaply compared to legal alternatives. Essentially, it can act as a well-informed (because of their knowledge of the SC2 community) arbitrator.
histrionic
Profile Joined October 2010
United States34 Posts
August 05 2011 07:35 GMT
#1005
On August 05 2011 15:42 IslandLife wrote:
If SC2Con thought Mr. Lee was an okay guy who just made a few mistakes, they wouldn't have released that to the public.

I'd say SC2Con released this because they want Mr. Lee out of the business. The teams in SC2Con have to protect their business by trying to keep the public image of SC2 teams clean. I'm sure most of the managers care about their players and the game itself as well.

A few sponsors will most likely withdraw now. TSL would dissolve and the players could join other teams or get a new coach who isn't a shyster (hopefully).

If you have young kids signing dubious contracts (or not even on contracts...ahem...) it makes court cases difficult, if not impossible. I think SC2Con's approach is rather admirable. It's great they are doing what they can.



On August 05 2011 15:59 Zinthar wrote:
If you define "real" power as the ability to enforce the judgment against TSL in any event, then no, SC2Con has no real power.

However, expulsion from SC2Con as the alternative punishment and the associated shame with the expulsion will result in tangible consequences for TSL, most likely in the form of lesser ability to attact new players, keep existing players, and acquire sponsors.

SC2Con membership ensures that all member teams abide by certain rules, and that certainty is a key selling point the team. Why would a TSL player rely on a contract when it seems that Manager Lee is willing to unilaterally breach it? I'm not sure what Korean contract law entails, but a lawsuit as the player's remedy is probably prohibitively expensive. A respected body like SC2Con that can adjudicate disputes within the community cheaply compared to legal alternatives. Essentially, it can act as a well-informed (because of their knowledge of the SC2 community) arbitrator.


I don't have anything to add, just wanted to say thanks for the informative replies.
NeWeNiyaLord
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Norway2474 Posts
August 05 2011 07:40 GMT
#1006
Drama? =o Haha :D
This is where we begin. Show your true self, Battosai.
originalred04
Profile Joined July 2011
United States53 Posts
August 05 2011 07:43 GMT
#1007
Hmmmmm I hope all you EG haters that gave it to them with no lube when Puma signed with them, apologize now, but I doubt you will.
I am the Ginger King
b_unnies
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
3579 Posts
August 05 2011 08:00 GMT
#1008
On August 05 2011 03:34 Ribbon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2011 20:48 b_unnies wrote:
Honestly I think what Coach Lee did is fair. Trickster/Fruitdealer don't practice? They don't get paid. Do you expect your boss to pay you if you don't show up for work either?


Yes. Because I'm salaried. As presumably is Fruitdealer. If I spend 6 hours a day on Reddit or TL at work, I expect to get yelled at, written up, and eventually fired. I don't expect my boss to come up and say "Actually you're not worth what we agreed upon. I am altering the agreement. Pray I don't alter it further."

You can't just retroactively and unilaterally renegotiate a contract, even a verbal one, without even warning the other party.


Except Coach Lee didnt alter any agreements at all
Horse...falcon
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1851 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-05 08:12:36
August 05 2011 08:10 GMT
#1009
On August 05 2011 15:48 Zinthar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 05 2011 12:51 Condor Hero wrote:

EG just talking to Puma was unprofessional because he clearly was representing another team at a competition. His team paid for him to compete, not looking for other offers.


Actually, his team did not pay for him to compete at the NASL -- NASL paid for that trip. He was not at a team competition, he was playing for himself. He also was not under contract with TSL.

The lack of contract is particularly important because the association that TSL players had amongst one another was really more of an at will partnership which could be broken at any time for any reason. TSL provided food and a team house for its players, while TSL's most recognizable faces attracted sponsorship dollars for the team.

Before I thought TSL's coach was just a terrible businessman who was clueless about to how to run an organization. After reading this, however, Coach Lee's intentions were clearly more insidious than I had imagined. The man was trying to use FD and Trickster (and he succeeded, as he likely will never pay them what is owed), and it's sad that he's using Killer and Clide even still. Does anyone believe that Lee didn't pressure Killer and Clide into paying their wages into the operating budget?

Manager Lee should have no part in the e-sports community. After these events, I highly doubt that TSL will be able to attract any sponsors and improve their financial position. The team will likely disband, Lee will be excised of his "team manager" title for good in the SC2 scene, and this charade can end.


I think NASL only covered $500 for players who finished in the ro32. I'm not sure whether TSL or Puma himself paid for his flight/stay. Thankfully Puma made it back and then some.

I agree with your points though. People made a huge deal over EG's alleged improper business behavior but it sounds like Alex just approached Puma since they were both at the event. Did people really expect him NOT to talk to a player he was interested in while they were both in the same corner of the world? Should he have said hi Puma, I'm going to call your coach first and then we'll talk when you're 6000 miles away again.
Artosis: "From horsssse....falcon"
Demidyne
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States110 Posts
August 05 2011 08:17 GMT
#1010
The fact is that most people of intelligence found Mr Lee's behavior odd during the Puma incident and were also not immediately convinced of the "FD and Trickster are lazy so they want to leave TSL and go drink and party in StarTale" explanation. I believe Mr Lee is an unscrupulous character who created and used the Puma situation to both harm international e-sports relations and attempted to expand the power of coaches and the SC2PA towards his own personal agenda. I said this both during the FD/Trickster arc and the Puma arc. Honestly it came as absolutely no surprise to me when this news popped up, in fact I was expecting "something" to come to light involving the TSL team.

Perhaps I am a bit biased, I study domestic violence, particularly methods of coercive control and have read hundreds of accounts of emotionally coercive non-violent relationships across dozens of ethnicities and cultures and Mr Lee's actions fit disturbingly into some of the patterns of those people. His use of public humiliation, the obvious attempts to isolate players from speaking, the umbrage taken due to EGs 'violation' of norms while at the same time violating norms himself by disgracing his player, and the night before the news broke we got to see him in an interview during the Code A finals where he sounded more like a robot than a person and seemed to just be speaking the words that he thought would make people like him the most. No I don't trust that guy one bit, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some level of coercive emotional control happening in that team, not healthy team spirit or team loyalty.. but guilt and/or fear.
He saw how civilized men behave, he never forgot and he never forgave.
Excludos
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway8279 Posts
August 05 2011 08:19 GMT
#1011
On August 05 2011 17:00 b_unnies wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 05 2011 03:34 Ribbon wrote:
On August 04 2011 20:48 b_unnies wrote:
Honestly I think what Coach Lee did is fair. Trickster/Fruitdealer don't practice? They don't get paid. Do you expect your boss to pay you if you don't show up for work either?


Yes. Because I'm salaried. As presumably is Fruitdealer. If I spend 6 hours a day on Reddit or TL at work, I expect to get yelled at, written up, and eventually fired. I don't expect my boss to come up and say "Actually you're not worth what we agreed upon. I am altering the agreement. Pray I don't alter it further."

You can't just retroactively and unilaterally renegotiate a contract, even a verbal one, without even warning the other party.


Except Coach Lee didnt alter any agreements at all


Withholding salaries but still using their images after they have quit is most definately "altering a verbal contract".
Nightfall.589
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada766 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-05 08:24:24
August 05 2011 08:23 GMT
#1012
On August 05 2011 17:00 b_unnies wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 05 2011 03:34 Ribbon wrote:
On August 04 2011 20:48 b_unnies wrote:
Honestly I think what Coach Lee did is fair. Trickster/Fruitdealer don't practice? They don't get paid. Do you expect your boss to pay you if you don't show up for work either?


Yes. Because I'm salaried. As presumably is Fruitdealer. If I spend 6 hours a day on Reddit or TL at work, I expect to get yelled at, written up, and eventually fired. I don't expect my boss to come up and say "Actually you're not worth what we agreed upon. I am altering the agreement. Pray I don't alter it further."

You can't just retroactively and unilaterally renegotiate a contract, even a verbal one, without even warning the other party.


Except Coach Lee didnt alter any agreements at all


Not paying wages after the fact is either unilaterally altering an agreement, or a crime. Fraud, perhaps?
Proof by Legislation: An entire body of (sort-of) elected officials is more correct than all of the known laws of physics, math and science as a whole. -Scott McIntyre
Angelbelow
Profile Joined September 2010
United States3728 Posts
August 05 2011 08:28 GMT
#1013
On August 05 2011 17:00 b_unnies wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 05 2011 03:34 Ribbon wrote:
On August 04 2011 20:48 b_unnies wrote:
Honestly I think what Coach Lee did is fair. Trickster/Fruitdealer don't practice? They don't get paid. Do you expect your boss to pay you if you don't show up for work either?


Yes. Because I'm salaried. As presumably is Fruitdealer. If I spend 6 hours a day on Reddit or TL at work, I expect to get yelled at, written up, and eventually fired. I don't expect my boss to come up and say "Actually you're not worth what we agreed upon. I am altering the agreement. Pray I don't alter it further."

You can't just retroactively and unilaterally renegotiate a contract, even a verbal one, without even warning the other party.


Except Coach Lee didnt alter any agreements at all


lol this almost sounds like an attempt at defending coach lee.. youre just setting yourself up for a "no but he withheld payment without prior notice."
You may delay, but time will not. Current Music obsession: Opeth
Firesilver
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom1190 Posts
August 05 2011 08:30 GMT
#1014
Quite shocking for all this to come out suddenly, It sheds a whole new light on the EG situation in my eyes and it concerns me that this was even able to happen in the first place.
Caster at IMBA.tv -- www.twitter.com/IMBAFiresilver -- www.youtube.com/FiresilverTV
Ruyguy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada988 Posts
August 05 2011 08:32 GMT
#1015
So the truth comes out.
b_unnies
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
3579 Posts
August 05 2011 08:50 GMT
#1016
On August 05 2011 17:19 Excludos wrote:
Withholding salaries but still using their images after they have quit is most definately "altering a verbal contract".


Um, what G.Skill does is not TSL's responsibility.

On August 05 2011 17:23 Nightfall.589 wrote:
Not paying wages after the fact is either unilaterally altering an agreement, or a crime. Fraud, perhaps?


Are you saying that FD+Trickster deserves to go to jail? A bit extreme perhaps?

On August 05 2011 17:28 Angelbelow wrote:
lol this almost sounds like an attempt at defending coach lee.. youre just setting yourself up for a "no but he withheld payment without prior notice."


They had 30 days worth of notice.
baldgye
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom1114 Posts
August 05 2011 09:15 GMT
#1017
Seems like such an odd way to behave... I really don't get it
Delinius
Profile Joined March 2011
United States324 Posts
August 05 2011 09:18 GMT
#1018
That's unfortunate, Coach Lee seems like a nice guy.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
August 05 2011 09:28 GMT
#1019
It's funny how people think EG is bad and TSL is in the right WHEN THEY DON'T READ THE POSTS LOL.

PUMA WAS NOT ON CONTRACT.

EG 4 LyFE.

just kidding. But seriously, read the posts before commenting about how 'shitty' one person or another is. Puma was never contracted, TSL did not pay him, EG did nothing wrong and it's pretty clear the coach is a mess.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Vei
Profile Joined March 2010
United States2845 Posts
August 05 2011 09:31 GMT
#1020
Between EG's response about Lee and this post about Lee, he seems like a really shady/bad coach..
www.justin.tv/veisc2 ~ 720p + commentary
Prev 1 49 50 51 52 53 57 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 37m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft506
Nina 174
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13639
Hyuk 57
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm218
League of Legends
Doublelift4764
Other Games
summit1g8894
FrodaN3219
JimRising 625
KnowMe202
ViBE105
ArmadaUGS81
Mew2King80
Trikslyr33
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1303
BasetradeTV204
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream108
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 107
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 37m
INu's Battles
11h 37m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
14h 37m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
18h 37m
BSL Open Qualifier
18h 37m
Replay Cast
22h 37m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 10h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 15h
Replay Cast
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.