• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:25
CEST 05:25
KST 12:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8038 users

TeamLiquid Heart of the Swarm Preview - Page 21

Forum Index > SC2 General
1222 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 62 Next
Deleuze
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United Kingdom2102 Posts
May 31 2011 12:01 GMT
#401
On May 31 2011 20:28 eviltomahawk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 31 2011 20:23 Deleuze wrote:
The marketplace too is a little worrying.

I do wonder how much money Blizz makes from the game....

WoW is all about generating ongoing income, and is having new subscription upgrades etc to stimulate income from it.

If this marketplace is where Blizz really sees the money coming in from SC2 (from end users at least) assuming they take a cut from the custom maps they sell then this could present serious implications about where their interests lie: 'hardcore' (read: intellegent, passionate) gamers or casual gamers running around with a chefs hat trying to fry zerglings....

I think the Marketplace is more aimed at allowing mapmakers and mod-makers to make money, not just Blizzard themselves. Mapmakers may have more incentive to make top quality maps once they have an opportunity to profit from from their own work, similar to how iPhone apps or some Source mods work.

I think Valve also adopted a similar philosophy with their hat store in TF2 where some of the revenue goes to the people who helped design the items and hats that are sold in the store.

Also, I think I read in an old interview that Blizzard's standards for the map marketplace are going to be extremely high, to a point where perhaps even Blizzard DotA would not make the cut.



@eviltomahawk - I certainly hope your right.

Although, I just believe mapmakers and Mods are more motivated by their personal passion and dedication to the community to produce quality work rather than finances - though I'm sure it helps!

I'm just concerned that if Blizz see this as a viable long term income opportunity the overall direction of the game will change, and how those focused on multplay and progaming with be included in this needs to be addressed.

What were the resident mapmakers responces to this info anyone? After skimming I haven't read any in this thread?
“An image of thought called philosophy has been formed historically and it effectively stops people from thinking.” ― Gilles Deleuze, Dialogues II
Anima4
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia59 Posts
May 31 2011 12:02 GMT
#402
concept art is amazing. even made one of the pictures my desktop background. good job blizzard.
TheKefka
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Croatia11752 Posts
May 31 2011 12:02 GMT
#403


On May 31 2011 20:45 Zelniq wrote:And finally the 0 build time is new I think and sort of cool, except for the "uh oh I need some units NOW to defend this/or do that...ah np i'll just instantly make lings! now I don't have to worry anymore and can just have an army instantly on demand" factor
In a way this is "balanced" for zerg, because of larva. Producing a quick unit instantly isn't exactly game breaking either.
[/QUOTE]

No...but people still complain about warpgate.
Cackle™
twiitar
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany372 Posts
May 31 2011 12:02 GMT
#404
Wow, it feels pretty bad to see a company go all "You want LAN support? Screw you, here's an AppStore for Maps and stuff so we can make MORE money off of you idiots!". :/ I wish Blizzard was less greedy and would try to focus on making a great game, not a great sales vehicle.
diverzee
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden992 Posts
May 31 2011 12:03 GMT
#405
On May 31 2011 20:45 Zelniq wrote:And finally the 0 build time is new I think and sort of cool, except for the "uh oh I need some units NOW to defend this/or do that...ah np i'll just instantly make lings! now I don't have to worry anymore and can just have an army instantly on demand" factor


I can think of a race which already has this ability. It isn't zerg.
Parting
vyyye
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden3917 Posts
May 31 2011 12:04 GMT
#406
On May 31 2011 20:58 TheKefka wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 31 2011 20:45 Rococo wrote:
On May 31 2011 20:09 phanto wrote:
99% of the design should be spent around making it balanced, not whether or not it's "cool".


Your issue seems to be more about semantics than anything - cool doesn't have to mean flashy and shallow. I took their use of the word to mean mechanically interesting and strategically open-ended, which the Overseer is most definitely not. To me a cool unit is something like the vulture or science vessel.


That might be but blizzards idea of cool and mechanically interesting strategy unit does not really translate into balance.
The colossus on paper looks like a really cool mechanically strategic unit that can walk on cliffs and is that siege unit,but is punished for being able to get shot down by air.
This results in you being unable to have the option to transition into something like a stargate tech when you went colossus because they will be going anti air anyways so it leaves you with templar tech as the only optimal transition.People complain in never seeing the carrier for instance.Well this is the reason.
Colossus was a cool idea both mechanically and strategically,but it doesn't really make for interesting gameplay nor balance right now.

Huh? The reason you don't see carriers is not because colossi forces anti air. It's because carriers are pretty goddamn useless until you get a good number of them, and if scouted too early any T/Z can pump far more anti air than you'll ever have carriers. How many P that goes for HT tech straight away do you see transition to carriers?

I want more cool shit in SC2. Granted I want it to be balanced, but balanced doesn't have to mean boring as fuck. Lurkers are fucking awesome, reaver is the height of badassery, seeing a winning zerg get overzealous and get blown to pieces by mines is orgasmic.
On the other hand.. seeing a colossi roast zerglings? Uh, cool the first time due to the effects I guess.

I'm no game designer, but I'd love some "cool" units as a lot of the units in SC2 are pretty stale.
annYeong(o11)
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Canada784 Posts
May 31 2011 12:05 GMT
#407
Brood War called, it wants its campaign back. Oh, and warcraft 3 is on the other line (and he sounds pissed)


le fucking sigh. I had really hoped blizzard would do something really fun and innovative with this new expansion. With Wings of Liberty, you're using humans, forcing you out of the more fantastic parts of science fiction, it's also the first game, so it's best not to over complicate matters and better to make a simple, but fun game. Heart of the Swarm is Blizzard's first real chance in SC2 to say "LOOK AT ALL THE FUN STUFF WE CAN DO WITH A GAME". Instead they took the Wings of Liberty campaign, added a really generous portion of Brood War, and topped it off with RPG elements from Warcraft 3. Instead of making an interesting and new game, they chopped up their previous titles into servings most likely to keep fan boys from different franchises on board.

I mean for fucks sake "War for the Brood"

Seriously?

When I first saw the leaked ending for Heart, I laughed at it's very campy, very cheesy ending, marveling at how similar Blizzard can make the Zerg and the Orcs. "Oh, they just leaked it to get fan reactions to see if everybody anybody liked it, they'll surely change it after all this outrage" I thought, surely a multimillion (billion?) dollar company could hire a half decent set of fucking writers right?

Apparently it can't.
Founder of the KiWiKaKi Fanclub: teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=188537 my keyboard is like half broken. like terran. please ignore typos, thanks
PsionicDeath
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1 Post
May 31 2011 12:05 GMT
#408
ok i know none of this is going into the multi-play because then zerg would be WAAAAAAAAAY OVER POWERED XD LOL

but also, i dont think that most of the abilites mentioned here will be in the campaign either, then it would be way to easy...

i mean come on, a baneling with an even BIGER radious of splash damage... AND SPAWNS MORE BANELINGS ON DEATH!? COME ON XD
All's fair in love and war... even if its bull...
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
May 31 2011 12:06 GMT
#409
Peachy,

I'll wait to see it for myself before I start judging.
Kielbasa
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia67 Posts
May 31 2011 12:07 GMT
#410
So they're gonna remove units from multiplayer, didn't expect that.
SevenOfNine
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Sweden48 Posts
May 31 2011 12:08 GMT
#411
I AM GOING TO BUY THIS EXPANSION!
Do never give up! Never surrender
Seikhor
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada116 Posts
May 31 2011 12:08 GMT
#412
On May 31 2011 20:59 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 31 2011 20:55 Seikhor wrote:
On May 31 2011 20:34 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
On May 31 2011 20:27 Seikhor wrote:
Nice write up. I'm wondering if competitive play with transfer to HS for beta or will it wait for release to be more stable and balanced?

Any tournament that has begun as WoL, or begun qualifiers as WoL, will stay WoL. Any tournament which is yet to start or start its prelims, will switch.

That is my guess anyway. For WC3 you could see them using the original game for an extra year because they had already announced/started prelims etc, but most tournaments switched pretty quickly IIRC.


That was what I thought. But I think it is dangerous because we don't know if the beta will be balanced or not and it could affect competetive play a lot and favor one race over the other for certain times in certain tournaments. But, every amateur player with be playing beta so I believe it is essentiel that competetive play switch as fast as possible to please the spectators.


Eh, thats just how it works - whichever race is favored will be random so the rest have to live with it and hope that they get a patch of glory as well.


Haha, true. It will be very exciting for sure!
zBro
Profile Joined March 2011
Finland448 Posts
May 31 2011 12:09 GMT
#413
Do HotS and WoL players play together in the multiplayer?
twiitar
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany372 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-31 12:10:20
May 31 2011 12:09 GMT
#414
On May 31 2011 21:07 Kielbasa wrote:
So they're gonna remove units from multiplayer, didn't expect that.

Another thing that's pretty stupid if you ask me - some units ended up being underused or "over-glorified scouts" because Blizzard didn't make them appealing enough. Overseers have a use, it's just that they're underused. But instead of mending what's broken they just outright go and want to remove it. I facepalmed so hard when I read that part because it's Blizzard saying "We screwed up, we have no idea how to mend it so we'll just cut it out".

I miss the old Blizzard of the '90s. :/

zBro, HotS will get a separate ladder.
DarKcS
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Australia1237 Posts
May 31 2011 12:10 GMT
#415
I'd love to see those zergling mechanics in MP :D Can't wait to see what they do..bring on Blizzcon...
Die tomorrow - Live today
See.Blue
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States2673 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-31 12:12:07
May 31 2011 12:11 GMT
#416
On May 31 2011 20:45 Zelniq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 31 2011 20:30 Noocta wrote:
On May 31 2011 20:26 Zelniq wrote:
Roach

Chitinous Plating - +1 armor.
Bile Ducts – +2 damage.
Organic Carapace – Health regeneration increased by 2

Evolution:

Prowler – Enables burrow movement.
Leech – Every unit killed gains the leech 10 HP (up to a maximum of 60). Also, Health regeneration increased.

I'm glad they've finally come up with some new ideas to make the roach more interesting, it was starting to feel like a stale/1-dimensional unit. I can't wait to get try out the new +armor, +damage, +regen, +burrowed move, singleplayer-only roach upgrades in HotS!


(yes yes I realize this is a very early build and most likely will be changed, but I still find it amusing how that's the best they were able to come up with for 1 of their 2 units they put on display)


I find them boring.
Zergling get some cool shit, roaches have +armor, +damage ? booring (

putting aside the funny roach part....

"zergling get some cool shit" ?? i have to disagree, all of those seem kinda boring and actually are mostly not new ideas. In I think the alpha of WoL, there was a hive upgrade to spawn an additional zergling from an egg. Although it does make it feel more swarm-like, it's pretty uninteresting to just get more units from less production infrastructure than you'd normally need. Spawn broodling on death is new for the zergling i think, but not new to zerg.. (queen's spawn broodling in bw, buildings dying in sc2, etc). Raptors that leap at their opponents, those aren't new they're in the campaign already, and in map editor, i think they were called 'hunterlings.' And it sounds much cooler than it is, in fact I think it's annoying to have them leap into battle, it's yet more steering away from micro/control and more into automated sequences/lack of control options, and they tend to just leap into their death quicker, which I think is why they added the +10 hp as I'm sure they noticed this problem. And finally the 0 build time is new I think and sort of cool, except for the "uh oh I need some units NOW to defend this/or do that...ah np i'll just instantly make lings! now I don't have to worry anymore and can just have an army instantly on demand" factor

still though it's certainly all more interesting than the roach stuff



Dude you've been a downer this whole thread. Sure, there are a ton of new things we'd all love to see. But you seem determined to not be happy with anything you've seen. Relax, the stuff thus far looks like it'll be a lot of fun. If not, you always have BW.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46478 Posts
May 31 2011 12:15 GMT
#417
I can't wait! This is an awesome preview!
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
TheSubtleArt
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada2527 Posts
May 31 2011 12:18 GMT
#418
Q: Is there going to be any solution for LAN?

A: We don't have any intentions to do anything towards that right now. *Proceed with cop out answer*


~_~

Cool write up though guys. I never really pay attention to single player (still haven't started the WoL campaign lol) but found it an interesting read none the less. More than anything I'm excited that they're adding new units to the multiplayer, that should be awesome (hopefully). Wondering if they're gonna have to remove any existing units to keep the game from being too bloated?

Also, has anybody heard anything regarding when pros will switch over to HotS? Will it be as soon as beta is up or will tournaments wait for retail to switch over to the game.
Dodge arrows
Philip2110
Profile Joined April 2010
Scotland798 Posts
May 31 2011 12:20 GMT
#419
Saying that they are probably going to remove old units is pretty crazy, didnt expect that
Master Sc2 - Diamond LoL - Eu W
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
May 31 2011 12:21 GMT
#420
Anyone remember the joke about how it'd be nice if protoss units cost money? Well, it looks like for the singleplayer of heart of the swarm they took that.. to heart. Zerglings can come with an extra one free and banelings give money back! :D

No seriously, this is an awesome preview of whats to come.
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
Prev 1 19 20 21 22 23 62 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 192
ProTech145
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2244
Shuttle 1459
Bale 49
Dewaltoss 37
NaDa 32
Noble 17
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm151
League of Legends
JimRising 658
Counter-Strike
taco 362
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox703
Mew2King90
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor897
Other Games
summit1g8936
C9.Mang0340
PiGStarcraft319
ViBE58
ArmadaUGS57
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV261
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream90
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP163
• Hupsaiya 132
• davetesta17
• Letter146
• Response 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo747
Other Games
• Scarra907
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
9h 35m
OSC
18h 35m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 6h
Online Event
1d 7h
FEL
1d 12h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 13h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 15h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.