• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:06
CEST 01:06
KST 08:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)20Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10365 users

Newspaper: Jinro returns to Sweden - Page 13

Forum Index > SC2 General
298 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 Next All
igge
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden25 Posts
April 12 2011 09:30 GMT
#241
Nyhetsmorgon update:

Since my father works at nyhetsmorgon, I will be able to go there tomorrow to meet Jinro. But I'm not posting this to brag. No, really.

I asked one of his co-workers (to whom I sent my paper on SC2 and jinro etc) when I should be there. She told me to be there by 9, so I'm guessing Jinro will be on around 9.

I will make another post when I have more detailed information though.
orgolove
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Vatican City State1650 Posts
April 12 2011 09:32 GMT
#242
Idra leaving Korea. Jinro Leaving Korea. Will there be no other foreigners that will be in the Korean Scene? (and I mean GOOD foreigners, not ... you get the idea)
초대 갓, 이영호 | First God, Lee Young Ho
coddan
Profile Joined May 2010
Estonia890 Posts
April 12 2011 09:38 GMT
#243
On April 12 2011 18:32 orgolove wrote:
Idra leaving Korea. Jinro Leaving Korea. Will there be no other foreigners that will be in the Korean Scene? (and I mean GOOD foreigners, not ... you get the idea)

He's going back tomorrow.
Silentness
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2821 Posts
April 12 2011 09:40 GMT
#244
On April 12 2011 18:32 orgolove wrote:
Idra leaving Korea. Jinro Leaving Korea. Will there be no other foreigners that will be in the Korean Scene? (and I mean GOOD foreigners, not ... you get the idea)


Did you even read the article??? It clearly says he went home "briefly"
GL HF... YOLO..lololollol.
evanthebouncy!
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
United States12815 Posts
April 12 2011 09:48 GMT
#245
YES!
Life is run, it is dance, it is fast, passionate and BAM!, you dance and sing and booze while you can for now is the time and time is mine. Smile and laugh when still can for now is the time and soon you die!
arew
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Lithuania1861 Posts
April 12 2011 09:50 GMT
#246
On April 12 2011 18:40 Silentness wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 12 2011 18:32 orgolove wrote:
Idra leaving Korea. Jinro Leaving Korea. Will there be no other foreigners that will be in the Korean Scene? (and I mean GOOD foreigners, not ... you get the idea)


Did you even read the article??? It clearly says he went home "briefly"

50% of people makes an answers just by reading the topic, though.

So nice, SC2 gets a lot of attention in the public, that's awesome!
750/750 emotions fully stacked
zeru
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
8156 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-12 11:04:48
April 12 2011 10:46 GMT
#247
--- Nuked ---
Krogan
Profile Joined January 2011
Sweden375 Posts
April 12 2011 11:07 GMT
#248
[/QUOTE]
One of them was something about how ESPORTS wasn't a real SPORT because you couldn't get any injury worse than mouse arm/carpal tunnel. You know, because it's no sport if it don't hurt. He was quickly shot down, though.

Then there's a discussion about how ESPORTS™ might finally be expanding beyond its status as a subculture, considering how this article got on the front page of Aftonbladets homepage. [/QUOTE]

No doubt that esports is taking off in Sweden, we are the most successful country in the world after Korea in Starcraft 2 and newspapers aren't late to pick up on that fact. The tune has totally changed regarding computer gaming compared to just a few years back where every report in media about gaming had a negative angle.[/QUOTE]

Honestly that was my first thought when I saw Aftonbladet had a piece of esports "please let this not be another "gaming is bad" article. Thankfully it turned out to be anything but and more similar to a home coming story of any other sport.

As for Aftonbladet hyping Jinro up a little bit, what did you except? Still there is an argument that could be made for Jirno being the most accomplished foreigner so far in sc2, remember he did win MLG Dallas last year as well.
Micro[TN]
Profile Joined February 2008
United Kingdom8 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-12 11:43:06
April 12 2011 11:10 GMT
#249
Here's another article:
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/spela/article12866788.ab
Swede Jonathan is
a star - in Korea


"Jinro 'livelihood
as e-sports pro
He gets two cooked meals a day.

He does not make the bed himself.

He lives with 15 other professional players.

- Everything is taken care of, it's almost like living at home when you are young, "says Swedish e-sport star and the Korea-Pro Jonathan" Jinro "Walsh.

A young man waiting a bit nervously at the entrance to the gaming cafe Inferno Online in Stockholm. In the end he concludes courage and walk up to me and the photographer Bilberg and asks:

- Do you think I can get "Jinros' autograph?

Jonathan "Jinro" Walsh, 22, is accustomed. After eight months working as a professional e-sports in Korea. During the big "StarCraft II" games in Seoul the fans gather. When Jonathan goes to get a haircut the hairdresser knows who he is.

South Korea has "Starcraft"-fevers in ten years. The major tournaments are broadcast on sold out huge arenas. When you look at aerial photos of the audience oceans it is not U2, which stands on the stage - it is the country's e-sports stars.

"Lots of money"
- Those who became stars in the first "StarCraft" can go into a restaurant and all the staff want their autograph, "says Jonathan.

There are still many who are not ready to accept e-sports as a "real" sports. Who find it incomprehensible that you can make a living at playing video games.

- When there is a tournament that is determined each month with the winner playing home $ 50 000 (over 300 000 SEK) so you can live on it. It is broadcast on television, there are people who watch it, there are sponsors who pay lots of money for you to represent them when playing the big tournaments.

Dreamhack driving
With computer festival Dreamhack, the flagship, Sweden has begun to establish itself as a major e-sports nation. Today is competing for the first time eight of the world's best "Starcraft II" Player of Culture in Stockholm.

"Jinro" is the most successful non-Korean ever to "Starcraft II". He is the only foreign player who made it to two semi-finals in GSL - Global Starcraft League. To succeed at this level requires both tremendous powers of concentration and lightning-fast fingers. Real-time strategy game forces the players to several hundred decision in minutes.

- It's like playing the piano. I would not say that it is not as difficult to play at the highest level concert. But in the game there's also an element of strategy. And one missclick and the match could be over.

Have to keep in shape..
It must mean a true heavy burden on the body.

- I notice it when I before a game just practice, practice, practice. One can notice that the hand complain a bit. But we go to the gym, we live pretty healthy.

You have to do it to succeed?

- Yeah. If you are in good physical shape to keep you playing longer and as you can concentrate longer. It is no wonder that most Korean pro gamers are in pretty good shape.

How does your personality affect the way you play?

- I think everybody's personality affects the way they play. My specific? If you look at me, I'm very "obsessive" with stuff I do. Have I lost one game so I can easily feel that I'm going to play for 20 hours. I am not a good loser. Then I'm a little too passive, which I think has to do with my personality. I almost think that the game might change my personality more than anything else. I may be too passive in real life too, but I notice that there is a problem in the "Starcraft". And then I might change it in both the "Starcraft" and real life.

"I'm 'Jinro', come home with me!"
Jonathan Walsh lives in Incheon, the neighboring city of Seoul, along with 15 other professional players in the same apartment. They eat, going to the gym and working out "Starcraft II" all day. They have a cook and maid who takes care of the household.

- She cleans everything, wash everything, buying food. Everything is taken care of, it's almost like living at home when you are young, haha. There is not much more responsibility.

Do you have time for a social life?

- Yes, but there are some difficulties with the language. There are not many Koreans who speak English well enough to be able to have a sophisticated conversation. But all the Koreans in our team has improved a lot in English since we arrived. And we at Liquid have started taking Korean lessons.

Is it easy to pick up girls in Korea if you are a progamer at "Starcraft"?

- If you are "Boxer" (Lim Yo-Hwan, also known as "Emperor", the most famous "StarCraft" player, editor. Note.), No problem. But I do not think I can say: 'I am' Jinro ', come home with me! "

You should try.

- It would be interesting, I must learn how to say it in Korean first.


(Google translate with corrections made)
nihlon
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden5581 Posts
April 12 2011 11:21 GMT
#250
I just tried the "I'm jinro, come home with me." it didn't work.
Banelings are too cute to blow up
Sneakyz
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden2361 Posts
April 12 2011 11:35 GMT
#251
On April 12 2011 20:10 Micro[TN] wrote:

- When there is a tournament that is determined each month with the winner playing home $ 50 000 (over 300 000 euros) so you can live on it. It is broadcast on television, there are people who watch it, there are sponsors who pay lots of money for you to represent them when playing the big tournaments.

It's supposed to be 300k SEK, not euro .
I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
0tso
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden67 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-12 12:14:02
April 12 2011 11:51 GMT
#252
+ Show Spoiler +
On April 12 2011 20:10 Micro[TN] wrote:
Here's another article:
http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/spela/article12866788.ab
Swede Jonathan is a star - in Korea


"Jinro" is a professional e-sports player.
He gets two cooked meals a day.
He does not make the bed himself.
He lives with 15 other progamers.

- Everything is taken care of, it's almost like living at home when you are young, "says Swedish e-sport star and the Korea-Pro Jonathan" Jinro "Walsh.

A young man is waiting nervously at the entrance to the gaming cafe Inferno Online in Stockholm. Finally, he approaches me and my photographer Bilberg and asks:

- Do you think I can get "Jinros" autograph?

Jonathan "Jinro" Walsh, 22, is used to it. He's been a professional e-sports player for eight months in South Korea. The big "StarCraft II" games in Seoul bring hordes of fans. When Jonathan gets his hair cut the barber knows who he is.

South Korea has had the "Starcraft" fever for the last ten years. The major tournaments are broadcasted on sold out, huge arenas. Looking at the crowd, one might think U2 is on stage - but it's the domestic e-sports superstars.

"Lots of money"
- Those who became stars in the original "StarCraft" game can go into a restaurant and the whole staff will ask for their autograph, Jonathan says.

There are still lots of people who are not ready to accept e-sports as a "real" sport. A lot of people find it incomprehensible that you can make a living from playing video games.

- When there is a monthly tournament with the winner bringing home $50 000 (over 300 000SEK) you can live off of gaming. The matches are broadcasted on television, there are tonnes of people watching it, there are sponsors paying lots of money for you to represent them while playing the big tournaments.

Dreamhack, a driving force
With computer festival Dreamhack as its flagship, Sweden has started establishing itself as a major e-sports nation. Today - for the first time - eight of the worlds best "Starcraft II" players will be competing in Kulturhuset in Stockholm.

"Jinro" is the most successful non-Korean ever to "Starcraft II". He is the only foreigner who made it to two semi-finals in GSL - Global Starcraft League. To succeed at this level you need both tremendous powers of concentration and lightning-fast fingers. Real-time strategy games forces the player to make hundreds of decisions per minute.

- It's like playing the piano. I don't want to say it is as difficult as playing the piano at the very highest level, but the game also involves an element of strategy. One misclick and the match could end in your opponents favor.

Got to keep in shape
Practicing so much must put a heavy strain on the body.
- I notice it when I practice, practice, practice before a game. I can feel my hand complaining sometimes, but we hit the gym regularly, we live fairly healthy.

You need a healthy lifestyle to succeed?

- Indeed. If you are in good physical shape, it will make you able to play for longer periods of time and it will help your concentration. It's no wonder that most Korean pro gamers are pretty fit.

How does your personality affect your playstyle?

- I think everybody has their own playstyle because of their personality. My personality? If you look at me, I'm very "obsessive" with stuff I do. If I've lost a game I'll often feel that I need to play for 20 hours. I'm also a bit too passive, which I acredit my personality. I'd rather say the game changes my personality than the other way around. Maybe I'm too passive in real life too, but I only connect it to problems in Starcraft. Maybe I'll change that both in Starcraft and real life.

"I'm 'Jinro', come home with me!"
Jonathan Walsh lives in Incheon, the neighboring city of Seoul. He shares a flat with 15 other professional gamers. They eat, hit the gym and practice "Starcraft II" all day. They have a cook and maid who takes care of the household.

- She cleans everything, wash everything, buys groceries. Everything is taken care of, it's almost like living at home when you are young, haha. There is not much more responsibility.

Do you have time for a social life?

- Yes, but there are some difficulties with the language. There are not many Koreans who speak English well enough to be able to have a sophisticated conversation. But all the Koreans in our team has improved a lot in English since our arrival. And we at Liquid have started taking Korean lessons.

Is it easy to pick up girls in Korea if you are a progamer at "Starcraft"?

- If you are "BoxeR" (Lim Yo-Hwan, also known as "Emperor", the most famous "StarCraft" player, editor. Note.), No problem. But I do not think I can say: 'I am' Jinro ', come home with me! "

You should try.

- It would be interesting, I must learn how to say it in Korean first.

I did some corrections, it took much longer than i had thought it would so I hope someone else didn't do it too
h
Sanguinarius
Profile Joined January 2010
United States3427 Posts
April 12 2011 11:59 GMT
#253
Thats awesome how supportive sweeden is to e sports. Excellent picture with Jinro's parents too.
Your strength is just an accident arising from the weakness of others -Heart of Darkness
Buffy
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Sweden665 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-12 12:27:19
April 12 2011 12:26 GMT
#254
Still find it amusing that aftonbladet even is streaming the event, watching it atm and it's not half bad. Kinda freaking awesome
Yes I am
SaYyId
Profile Joined August 2010
Portugal277 Posts
April 12 2011 16:00 GMT
#255
Wow! Jinro looks just like his father!!
No Strings. No attachments.
Zyori.tv
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States770 Posts
April 12 2011 20:11 GMT
#256
It is really inspiring to see the media in Sweden acknowledging Jinro's accomplishments and publishing it in a way that doesn't make the competitive scene sound childish. Every time I see something about "esports" in America is just older news casters laughing.
http://www.zyori.tv Twitter: @ZyoriTV
Animostas
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States568 Posts
April 12 2011 22:09 GMT
#257
Aww Jinro's parents are adorable :3 This is great news for Jinro and e-Sports!
Sprungjeezy
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States1313 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-13 04:47:56
April 13 2011 04:45 GMT
#258
What a couple of baller parents. Wish I lived near a huge tournament that pros fly to.

Wow thanks for all of the updates and posts, got lots to read.
Zheryn
Profile Joined December 2010
Sweden3653 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-13 05:40:15
April 13 2011 05:22 GMT
#259
I just checked the schedule for Nyhetsmorgon at text-tv and it says that he will appear on the show 09:18, that's in 1 hour 56 minutes.

Edit: Source @ http://www.nyhetskanalen.se/1.633665?page=643

[image loading]
hundred thousand krouner
alx
Profile Joined April 2009
Sweden33 Posts
April 13 2011 07:14 GMT
#260
I'm wathcing Nyhetsmorgon right now! Looks like Jinro is going to play live :D
Haha this is awesome! The amount of attention this event gets in swedish media is incredible! They even displayed the results in yesterdays late newscast.
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE159
Nina 109
Nathanias 59
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13935
Artosis 498
White-Ra 243
ToSsGirL 30
Dota 2
monkeys_forever416
NeuroSwarm144
League of Legends
Doublelift4379
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1068
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1898
Liquid`Hasu1319
Trikslyr61
Other Games
summit1g6576
Grubby3528
ArmadaUGS880
shahzam678
JimRising 347
C9.Mang0305
ZombieGrub58
Mew2King48
Maynarde0
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick409
BasetradeTV199
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream108
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 54
• davetesta37
• musti20045 32
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 36
• Azhi_Dahaki28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1089
• Scarra1000
• Shiphtur248
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
10h 54m
OSC
13h 54m
Stellar Fest
13h 54m
OSC
1d
Stellar Fest
1d 13h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.