• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:36
CEST 19:36
KST 02:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War545.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8982 users

Is it too late to switch races? - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
Mongery
Profile Joined May 2009
892 Posts
December 09 2010 11:31 GMT
#41
Stick to the race u think is the best! or the one u feel most comfortable with! At least protoss isnt that underpowered imo. Just check GSL protoss is doing well there at least. I think zerg got some issues atm but it will get there i guess.
http://www.twitch.tv/mongery_tv https://www.esportsearnings.com/players/27699-mongery-
BetterFasterStronger
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States604 Posts
December 09 2010 11:32 GMT
#42
I think I will help you a lot with this decision. I too was a Warcraft 3 player. One of the best on the US Servers (1 billionth overall). So because of that I chose Protoss because it SEEMED like it was the most micro intensive race, but after playing it for 1,000 games, making the top 200. I learned that it really isn't. At least from my perspective Terran seems like you are rewarded from micro then any of the other races where as Zerg you are rewarded more for macro, and protoss you are rewarded more from Build Order Refinement and your caster units (how to forcefield, storm, ect). Thats just how I personally view the races. Its not to late to switch races, keep in mind we won't have a finished game till 2014 when Legacy of the Void comes out.

How i came to the decision to switch was i just stopped playing for a week. I thought about it, and after a while I realized terran just suits me more. However, i did fall of the top 200 pretty fucking hard though, so that sucks. But im getting it back.
Top 200 as Protoss - Switched to Terran. 0-30 against EGiNcontroL... God damnet
NearPerfection
Profile Joined October 2010
232 Posts
December 09 2010 11:33 GMT
#43
On December 09 2010 19:51 Keitzer wrote:
because there was no TL;DR, i'm going to assume my own...

play your "favorite" race.... if you play the imba race, GL with that because Starcraft is such a close game balance wise that you'll be switching race every patch.


anyone kind enough to explain to me what TL:DR is? Team Liquid: Database what?
Gigaudas
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Sweden1213 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-09 11:37:40
December 09 2010 11:35 GMT
#44
On December 09 2010 20:20 Kyuki wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 09 2010 19:50 Gigaudas wrote:
On December 09 2010 19:48 Kyuki wrote:
Don't even talk balance.. It's really stupid. :/


Why? A top200 player would surely have more fun if he was also getting far in regional tournaments. Winning is fun!

This is detrimental to development. What will you do when your race gets figured out and other races catches up within the metagame, and a balance change happens and what not. Will you swap race again and have top players with that race laugh at you? The further we get into this game the harder it'll get to catch up when you swap races.

This is the same bullshit that's going on when top players scream imba, and then a couple of weeks later the issues are resolved even without patching, and then patching happens and readjustments needs to occur again.

What is fun has nothing to do with it, ofc it's fun to win, but you will not be a longterm winner if you think in balance terms. You need to just play the race that you are comfortable with and play it out to the max. What I'm saying is; dont choose your race because it's more powerful in certain situations in the metagame, but choose your race based upon your playstyle, comfort and perhaps what you see as potential within the race. Any other decision will backfire eventually.


The OP is arguing that some types of units will always be better at a top level as long as the game is balanced for casual players. If this is true, which I believe it is, then it's likely that a player would win more and enjoy the game more with a certain race.

Scroll through the pages here:

http://www.teamliquid.net/tlpd/korean/individual-leagues#tblt-3441-1-0-DESC

with this in mind: Protoss in Brood War was considered OP and easy-mode among D-C players on ICCUP. Someone ranked C on ICCUP in Brood War was definitely on a skill level comparable to top Diamond in SC2. Now, count the Protoss players in the above link.

I've already posted this but, look at the winners in the SC2-tournaments registered by tl.net:

http://www.teamliquid.net/tlpd/sc2-international/individual-leagues#tblt-6363-1-0-DESC

Count the Terran players. At the same time there is a general consensus that the game is decently balanced because that is how it feels to the average player.

That last link hints at an even worse balance if you consider that the Zerg/Protoss players have a large portion of their wins in show matches and KotH-formats.

I
Piski
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Finland3461 Posts
December 09 2010 11:35 GMT
#45
On December 09 2010 19:22 Melancholia wrote:
I'm assuming that English isn't your first language? The phrasing of much of that was rather odd.


Why does it matter? He made his point just fine and posting just to point out "I don't think you're native language is english" is stupid. There are a lot of people who don't speak english as their native language and mistakes will be made. Who cares.
Kyuki
Profile Joined February 2008
Sweden1867 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-09 11:44:07
December 09 2010 11:35 GMT
#46
On December 09 2010 20:33 NearPerfection wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 09 2010 19:51 Keitzer wrote:
because there was no TL;DR, i'm going to assume my own...

play your "favorite" race.... if you play the imba race, GL with that because Starcraft is such a close game balance wise that you'll be switching race every patch.


anyone kind enough to explain to me what TL:DR is? Team Liquid: Database what?

Too Long, Didnt Read.
Mada Mada Dane
Kyuki
Profile Joined February 2008
Sweden1867 Posts
December 09 2010 11:43 GMT
#47
On December 09 2010 20:35 Gigaudas wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 09 2010 20:20 Kyuki wrote:
On December 09 2010 19:50 Gigaudas wrote:
On December 09 2010 19:48 Kyuki wrote:
Don't even talk balance.. It's really stupid. :/


Why? A top200 player would surely have more fun if he was also getting far in regional tournaments. Winning is fun!

This is detrimental to development. What will you do when your race gets figured out and other races catches up within the metagame, and a balance change happens and what not. Will you swap race again and have top players with that race laugh at you? The further we get into this game the harder it'll get to catch up when you swap races.

This is the same bullshit that's going on when top players scream imba, and then a couple of weeks later the issues are resolved even without patching, and then patching happens and readjustments needs to occur again.

What is fun has nothing to do with it, ofc it's fun to win, but you will not be a longterm winner if you think in balance terms. You need to just play the race that you are comfortable with and play it out to the max. What I'm saying is; dont choose your race because it's more powerful in certain situations in the metagame, but choose your race based upon your playstyle, comfort and perhaps what you see as potential within the race. Any other decision will backfire eventually.


The OP is arguing that some types of units will always be better at a top level as long as the game is balanced for casual players. If this is true, which I believe it is, then it's likely that a player would win more and enjoy the game more with a certain race.

Scroll through the pages here:

http://www.teamliquid.net/tlpd/korean/individual-leagues#tblt-3441-1-0-DESC

with this in mind: Protoss in Brood War was considered OP and easy-mode among D-C players on ICCUP. Someone ranked C on ICCUP in Brood War was definitely on a skill level comparable to top Diamond in SC2. Now, count the Protoss players in the above link.

I've already posted this but, look at the winners in the SC2-tournaments registered by tl.net:

http://www.teamliquid.net/tlpd/sc2-international/individual-leagues#tblt-6363-1-0-DESC

Count the Terran players. At the same time there is a general consensus that the game is decently balanced because that how it feels to the average player.

That last link hints at an even worse balance if you consider that the Zerg/Protoss players have a large portion of their wins in show matches and KotH-formats.


And I disagree completely. You can surely argue about these things, but it isnt anything else but theorycraft, especially in this game since it's so young. If you lean back on statistics like this you will fall over and die when they change. I don't care if this is the case Atm, tides will change and always have.

All the info you post is pretty useless when you think longterm, which I would do if I wanted to play this game for more than just 1 expansion at a higher level.

I never stated that the game is balanced or that there is no issues. Weather that is the case or not just is not important since THIS game is so new still. You see major changes coming with each patch, and you also see development in the actual games from all the different races.

I will keep saying that if you include balance within your reasoning as to what race you will play, you will regret it later if it does not fit your own playstyle and your own comfort, because once the tides changes and players adapt to different metagame changes and responses, you will fall over and die.

He/she asked a question and I'm responding to what I belive is the better way to view this longterm, and you disagreeing is completely fine with me, but I don't think you're making a case more than just presenting a bunch of numbers that tries to explain balance, which in itself is quite absurd imo.
Mada Mada Dane
diegonolan
Profile Joined November 2010
United States54 Posts
December 09 2010 11:50 GMT
#48
stalkers can out micro marines and roaches, i don't really understand, every race has units that require micro
phisku
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Belgium864 Posts
December 09 2010 11:50 GMT
#49
play the most OP one :p
switch at every patch.
pro like morrow and tlo have switch, it's so in. :D
WAAA
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
New Zealand291 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-09 11:54:32
December 09 2010 11:51 GMT
#50
On December 09 2010 19:51 TheOne85 wrote:
top wc3 player? should probably have a name listed for credibility here since your forum name yields absolutely no results, no videos, etc when it should.


I believe he is cgz.perfect a mid-high level amatuer player I think he might of been improving alot before sc2 came out.

As for your choice I find terran the most fun but I dont think the amount of unit control terran requires will satisfy you either depending on how you play. However I agree with some of what you said and by the sounds of it terran would fit you well.. my advice is to switch !
MementoMori
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada419 Posts
December 09 2010 11:55 GMT
#51
Even though you're top 200, respectfully I've gotta question some of your OP. Although what you said might be true in the long run about ranged units vs melee(I'm not really sure what I think about that), there's plenty of things you can always improve on no matter your skill level. You might be microing zealots less than a player microing roaches, but lots of protoss units are quite microable at high levels. Colossus, high templars, phoenix, void rays, they could always be microed better no matter your skill. I'm not convinced that protoss has a lower skill ceiling. Even if you take your melee vs ranged example as fact, zealots are only one unit.
for the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
Gigaudas
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Sweden1213 Posts
December 09 2010 11:56 GMT
#52
On December 09 2010 20:43 Kyuki wrote:
I will keep saying that if you include balance within your reasoning as to what race you will play, you will regret it later if it does not fit your own playstyle and your own comfort, because once the tides changes and players adapt to different metagame changes and responses, you will fall over and die.



"The OP is arguing that some types of units will always be better at a top level as long as the game is balanced for casual players."

You don't agree with this, I do. I feel that the statistics that I posted work well to back up the arguments of the OP. Games that are perceived as balanced are unbalanced at a top level - and the imbalances are those that one would expect with the OPs arguments in mind.

In no way am I proving the points that OP made true and the statistics I posted do not prove imbalance. There are always too many variables to prove imbalance. But I feel that it hints at imbalances that can not be explained by the current meta game and that the imbalances (at a top level) are likely to last even through patching.

It sounds to me like the OP might want to take it into consideration when choosing his race.
I
Condor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Netherlands188 Posts
December 09 2010 11:57 GMT
#53
Yeah, TL: DR is a pest that deserves to be exterminated. What, can't have a discussion with founded arguments (you know the ones that are not just oneliner vacuous talking points)?

Back on topic:
In Broodwar, Ret was known for having some of the best ZvT and TvZ for a non-Korean player. His understanding of the matchup was much better than most, probably also due to playing both sides of the matchup.

And finally, you are skilled with micro and macro, but you don't like some things in the matchup. Do you see opportunities for innovative play that you can create for yourself? I can start naming units, but I guess you thought about this for yourself?
MementoMori
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada419 Posts
December 09 2010 11:59 GMT
#54
On December 09 2010 20:57 Condor wrote:
Yeah, TL: DR is a pest that deserves to be exterminated. What, can't have a discussion with founded arguments (you know the ones that are not just oneliner vacuous talking points)?


Totally agree. Sorry to get off topic but I don't really see the point of it. If the original post is too long then don't participate in the discussion! The OP took time to write out his whole argument/point, you shouldn't respond if you didn't take the time to read it in my opinion. Plus anything you say after just skimming it over or reading a TL;DR might easily have already been covered by the OP.
for the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
Darren1337
Profile Joined October 2010
Ireland73 Posts
December 09 2010 12:03 GMT
#55
I think you confused micro with macro a lot. Stick with the race you're comfortable with. Who knows, Protoss might be perceived to be the new "op" race when the GSL is over. Maybe not.
Uniden!
TALegion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1187 Posts
December 09 2010 12:07 GMT
#56
I would say, "Play the race that you find the most fun," but I've been trying to that myself, and I've been doing terrible
Zerg to Protoss is really difficult for me, but I just like playing Brotoss SO much more.
A person willing to die for a cause is a hero. A person willing to kill for a cause is a madman
NearPerfection
Profile Joined October 2010
232 Posts
December 09 2010 12:12 GMT
#57
On December 09 2010 21:03 Darren1337 wrote:
I think you confused micro with macro a lot. Stick with the race you're comfortable with. Who knows, Protoss might be perceived to be the new "op" race when the GSL is over. Maybe not.



My definition of Micro/Macro

Micro: Unit control oriented - Unit positioning, Moving back damaged units. Using abilities to maximum efficiency, target firing.

Macro Building Control Oriented - Using resources most efficiently, producing units, producing buildings when needed etc.
MementoMori
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada419 Posts
December 09 2010 12:14 GMT
#58
On December 09 2010 18:55 NearPerfection wrote:
I enjoy microing more than macroing but my macro is quite good anyway thanks to Wc3.


I think people are referring to this. Seems like they're just reversed there.
for the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
NearPerfection
Profile Joined October 2010
232 Posts
December 09 2010 12:22 GMT
#59
On December 09 2010 21:14 MementoMori wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 09 2010 18:55 NearPerfection wrote:
I enjoy microing more than macroing but my macro is quite good anyway thanks to Wc3.


I think people are referring to this. Seems like they're just reversed there.


Comparing Wc3 to Sc1 you would definitely have a strong point, but some things to take into account is that in Wc3 units that are training don't have a bar hovered over the building that tells you when something is finished. Secondly, at least the race i played in Wc3 had 3 seperate unit tech structures to macro off of. This is not so different in Sc2. 3rdly constantly producing workers is pretty simple because I have all my Nexus in 1 control group with rally points preset and i just press probe however many times as i have Nexus
Kyuki
Profile Joined February 2008
Sweden1867 Posts
December 09 2010 12:22 GMT
#60
On December 09 2010 20:56 Gigaudas wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 09 2010 20:43 Kyuki wrote:
I will keep saying that if you include balance within your reasoning as to what race you will play, you will regret it later if it does not fit your own playstyle and your own comfort, because once the tides changes and players adapt to different metagame changes and responses, you will fall over and die.



"The OP is arguing that some types of units will always be better at a top level as long as the game is balanced for casual players."

You don't agree with this, I do. I feel that the statistics that I posted work well to back up the arguments of the OP. Games that are perceived as balanced are unbalanced at a top level - and the imbalances are those that one would expect with the OPs arguments in mind.

In no way am I proving the points that OP made true and the statistics I posted do not prove imbalance. There are always too many variables to prove imbalance. But I feel that it hints at imbalances that can not be explained by the current meta game and that the imbalances (at a top level) are likely to last even through patching.

It sounds to me like the OP might want to take it into consideration when choosing his race.


What? How can you say that, when you first admit that the things you are indeed provide are Hints at best.

You even claim that there is imbalance at top level, at the same time as you say it's too many variables to prove imbalance. The post is very contradicting.

Anyway, short term thinking will lead you to choose your race based upon what you percieve as balance, weather that is backed up by other peoples opinion or stats that is bound to change over a longer period of time. That is my opinion.
Mada Mada Dane
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 5
Laughngamez YouTube
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Liquid`TLO 219
ProTech155
BRAT_OK 62
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16157
Leta 1045
Shuttle 531
Horang2 227
Trap 124
firebathero 120
Zeus 83
Hyun 56
Bale 48
soO 48
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 34
Rock 28
scan(afreeca) 21
Bishop 15
Sacsri 11
Dota 2
qojqva1894
420jenkins463
Counter-Strike
fl0m4548
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu396
Other Games
Grubby2317
Beastyqt726
FrodaN715
KnowMe217
Livibee140
QueenE74
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick431
StarCraft 2
angryscii 16
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 50
• printf 50
• Adnapsc2 21
• Hinosc 20
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach103
• Azhi_Dahaki29
• FirePhoenix16
• Michael_bg 11
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1625
Other Games
• Shiphtur635
Upcoming Events
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1h 24m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
16h 24m
Patches Events
21h 24m
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 1h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 1h
OSC
1d 5h
OSC
1d 18h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.