• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:30
CEST 05:30
KST 12:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6519 users

Replays aren't autosaved to your computer anymore - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Wigz
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada42 Posts
July 09 2010 19:36 GMT
#41
christ, I loved the fact that you could have all your games. This change is fucking stupid.
Juvator
Profile Joined July 2010
Netherlands199 Posts
July 09 2010 19:46 GMT
#42
wtf... cmon these replays are like 0kb /care if It saves a million.
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
Serpico
Profile Joined May 2010
4285 Posts
July 09 2010 19:49 GMT
#43
they could give us the option of doing one or the other, what the hell is this BS?
junemermaid
Profile Joined September 2006
United States981 Posts
July 09 2010 19:53 GMT
#44
On July 10 2010 03:53 Lite.wasalreadytaken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2010 03:40 junemermaid wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:31 Lite.wasalreadytaken wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:27 junemermaid wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:19 MasterOfChaos wrote:
On July 10 2010 02:20 MasterJack wrote:
yuo can get ~20/meg ... that's 5,000 replays per 100GB

Can you explain that step to me?

And personally I like the peace of mind that all my replays are saved.


Having all the replays saved gets a little bit unwieldy.

Phase 1 I had about 700 replays in one folder, and it was impossible to find a certain game i wanted to view.

Now, if a replay is noteworthy of saving, I'll save it. I really don't want every game in my replay folder, since so few are actually good enough to warrant a view.

The change doesn't bother me at all.


Use replay management software like sc gears.


I shouldn't be forced to use a 3rd party program so I don't get swamped with replays because b.net auto-saves every 5 minute replay.

No thank you.


I don't know if I understand your point. By your description, in both scenarios the replay folder is useless. To derive use from it you would have to manually rename and file replays according to some criteria. Its just that in the old configuration you had the option of seeing every game you ever played and the only downside was a few less megabytes of free space on your drive. I think it's worth it.

You should try sc gears. It is targeted towards pro players. Blizzard wouldn't spend so much effort on a product for so little people. The killer feature is an AMP vs time chart.


I don't see where the confusion is.

In the new scheme, a player saves replays based on some kind of criteria they establish. This might mean saving 10-15% of the games played / observed. This makes finding a certain replay easier, since instead of 1000 replays, you're sifting through 100.

In the old way, a player has ALL their replays saved, even UMS games, games that lasted 2 seconds, etc...

In the latter case, the replays become hard to manage. There is literally 1000+ replays to scroll through, and it is more difficult to find something in particular, this is the downside.

I wouldn't mind an auto-save option, but I would definitely turn it off. There should just be a save replay option in the score screen (I think this was there in patch 15?).

I've tried SC2 gears out. I found the interface to be pretty clunky. I'll wait until it gets refined.
the UMP says YER OUT
ssnseawolf
Profile Joined May 2010
32 Posts
July 09 2010 20:21 GMT
#45
On July 10 2010 02:20 MasterJack wrote:
at 50kb/replay ... yuo can get ~20/meg ... that's 5,000 replays per 100GB, at 20mins/replay that's 1,667 hours of starcraft or .2years of playime.

The more you know! (not sure of the exact time/size ratio ... but close enough)


If each replay is 50 KB then 100 GB would equal 2,097,152 replays.

Which is, you know, a lot of replays.
Ouga
Profile Joined March 2008
Finland645 Posts
July 09 2010 20:45 GMT
#46
On July 10 2010 03:07 jamesr12 wrote:
Its not a big deal to me, 10 replays is plenty to decide if you want to save it or not. Personally i only got 230gb on my computer (its a laptop). I dont want to have to through and delete replays, id rather have it be somehwere between 10-100


I've 2200 reps from beta on comp, they take 252 MB total. It'd be surprising if I managed to mass games even to match 1 GB of space, ever? I couldn't think of better use for 1GB of stuff than SC2 reps, even if I unlikely ever checked them. It's a catalog of what you've done in a game, game history. I for one appreciate the ability to look up a game from any given time.

There's really no sense to not have at least option to autosave all reps. It should be automatical, because more people will be sad to notice they could've had their first games up for viewing, than those who'll be happy for not having to use 5secs to remove 90% of them at any point. It's not even close, autosave as option should 100% of people agree on, autosave as default option should 50%+ agree on.
nttea
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Sweden4353 Posts
July 09 2010 20:52 GMT
#47
i would like it best if i got prompted after every game: Save replay? Y/N
Zerluth
Profile Joined May 2010
Argentina78 Posts
July 09 2010 20:54 GMT
#48
You can still save them manually, both at the end of the match and later in the replays section; maybe 25 is not an ideal number, but we'll have to be used to as soon as a game worth rewatching finishes to save the replay, just make it automatically, like when making probes.
wooozy
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
3813 Posts
July 09 2010 21:30 GMT
#49
i keep forgetting to save them at score screen
so not used to this
cocosoft
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden1068 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-09 22:10:40
July 09 2010 22:05 GMT
#50
On July 09 2010 13:30 Raydog wrote:
Replays aren't autosaved to your computer's recent replays folder anymore. instead, they are saved to the server
WOAH this is great news!!
(EDIT: If you understand why)


On July 10 2010 03:41 mnck wrote:
They will most likely make an autosave replay option like they did with WC3. WC3 doesn't autosave replays either by default.
Actually, I think in the recent patches that this was changed to default.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Azile
Profile Joined March 2010
United States339 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-09 23:51:32
July 09 2010 23:49 GMT
#51
I'm having problems just viewing replays.. did they change the spot to put them in to view?

I'm using Vista 64 and dumping them in Documents\Starcraft II Beta\Replays\Multiplayer just like I did in phase 1 and they aren't showing up in-game.

edit: Figured it out.. i'm dumb. You have to 'keep' a replay before it will create a Multiplayer folder at the new location listed on page 1. Then you just dump in that one.
hiddencamper
Profile Joined May 2010
49 Posts
July 10 2010 00:15 GMT
#52
there have been many times where i go back and im like "oh crap, i encountered this situation like 3 weeks ago and I want to see what I did to win" or "i did this to another guy 3 weeks ago and how did he beat me" and i pull up an old replay i didnt save initially.

usually i only save things i really want. but at the same time, there is a LOT to gain by having all replays saved
Williowa
Profile Joined April 2010
129 Posts
July 10 2010 00:27 GMT
#53
You guys, seriously this isn't a question of you not being able to have your replays.

THIS IS blizzard's first attempt at limiting the user generated comment that you created, but THEY OWN. I'm sure it will make it easier for them to figure out who is pirating user generated content from the servers and turning it into videos on youtube without their consent.

I could be wrong, but I bet my starcraft 2 game that this was implemented because these are replays blizzard owns, not the user.
It's A Zergling Lester
StaR_Robo
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia229 Posts
July 10 2010 00:34 GMT
#54
If you look at the new replays folder there is a sub-folder called Multiplayer and one called Unsaved (at least that is what I have atm). This system isn't that different to the one many other games have had I think. If you don't specifically save a game at the end of the match it stays in your Unsaved folder. If you do save it then it goes in your Mutliplayer folder or where ever you choose to put it since I'm pretty sure you can use sub-folders to organise your games. The limit of 25 should only apply to games you don't specifically save yourself and you can go back and save them later if you want. In Age of Empires III and Age of Mythology the system was pretty much the same but the limit for unsaved games was only 10.
Working to spread StarCraft II through http://rts-sanctuary.com - replays, stats, streams and more ...
shinosai
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1577 Posts
July 10 2010 00:51 GMT
#55
I liked the old system that saved all your replays. The only problem was the naming process was poorly done. Something simple to say the date, the format (1v1, 2v2, ffa), and the race matchup (zvz, ztvpt, etc) would be nice.
Be versatile, know when to retreat, and carry a big gun.
Subversive
Profile Joined October 2009
Australia2229 Posts
July 10 2010 00:54 GMT
#56
Blizzard continues to amaze me with the changes they implement like this. I for one would like my replays. Auto-save didn't fill up my hard-drive in 2001, now that I have about 10 times the memory I'm pretty sure I can find the room for them
#1 Great fan ~ // Khan // FlaSh // JangBi // EffOrt //
DeCoup
Profile Joined September 2006
Australia1933 Posts
July 10 2010 01:15 GMT
#57
My phase 1 recent replays folder had just over 700 games and was around 70mb. They are small but it adds up fast, considering that I was working full time and have my playtime limited by my wife (lol) I can see this folder getting very big for some people very fast. (Especially if they play mainly 2v2 or FFA which have much much larger file sizes than 1v1 by comparison).

I don't think the average gamer would want every game they ever played saved, so I don't mind the system only keeping around 25 at a time (tho I would make it last 100 personally) but an option would be nice.

For the rest of us I can guarantee that a program will pop up shortly which auto copy-pastes replays out of your recent folder to another location. We already had programs which auto-rename the replays for us. There will no doubt be one which both renames and moves replays to a safe folder as they appear.
"Poor guy. I really did not deserve that win. So this is what it's like to play Protoss..." - IdrA
Ownos
Profile Joined July 2010
United States2147 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-10 01:59:11
July 10 2010 01:57 GMT
#58
I doubt a bunch of replays will fill someone's hard drive up or even take up significant space considering the crappiest of computers come with at least 500 GBs.

Edit: Wow a whole 70 MB? That's a lot of floppies!
...deeper and deeper into the bowels of El Diablo
tubs
Profile Joined March 2010
764 Posts
July 10 2010 04:07 GMT
#59
They need to give us the option to autosave all our replays again, even if we have to hand edit some text config file. These days 1000+ gigabyte drives are common, so it's not like we'll run out of space even after years of games.
"Roach dies to immortal and rockit black guy" - Tierdal.thex
chekthehek
Profile Joined May 2010
United States279 Posts
July 10 2010 06:28 GMT
#60
On July 10 2010 13:07 tubs wrote:
They need to give us the option to autosave all our replays again, even if we have to hand edit some text config file. These days 1000+ gigabyte drives are common, so it's not like we'll run out of space even after years of games.



yup, they def. should have added an option to cancel / enable it. automatically saving replays was one of my favorite features of the game, every now and then i would just look at random games to see how i won / loss, but now i cant do that anymore, unless i save everysingle one.

which i dont exactly feel like doing after raging when i lose ;p
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 30m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2426
NotJumperer 17
Shinee 13
Noble 13
Dota 2
monkeys_forever941
NeuroSwarm213
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft297
Other Games
summit1g7316
Coldzera 776
JimRising 656
C9.Mang0460
PiGStarcraft268
ArmadaUGS26
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick989
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream338
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo829
• Rush634
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6h 30m
Afreeca Starleague
6h 30m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
20h 30m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 7h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.