• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:30
CEST 05:30
KST 12:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6483 users

Replays aren't autosaved to your computer anymore - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
MasterOfChaos
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
Germany2896 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-09 18:20:08
July 09 2010 18:19 GMT
#21
On July 10 2010 02:20 MasterJack wrote:
yuo can get ~20/meg ... that's 5,000 replays per 100GB

Can you explain that step to me?

And personally I like the peace of mind that all my replays are saved.
LiquipediaOne eye to kill. Two eyes to live.
IPS.ZeRo
Profile Joined April 2003
Germany1142 Posts
July 09 2010 18:26 GMT
#22
An average replay seems to be about 150kb or so. Lets be pessimistic and say 200kb per replay.
Then 5000 replays would be 0,2mb * 5000 = 1GB. A PC that is able to run sc2 should have more than enough space so that replay files like that don't matter. Unless you are using a small SSD, but they could make an option to disable it.
aka DTF-ZeRo
junemermaid
Profile Joined September 2006
United States981 Posts
July 09 2010 18:27 GMT
#23
On July 10 2010 03:19 MasterOfChaos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2010 02:20 MasterJack wrote:
yuo can get ~20/meg ... that's 5,000 replays per 100GB

Can you explain that step to me?

And personally I like the peace of mind that all my replays are saved.


Having all the replays saved gets a little bit unwieldy.

Phase 1 I had about 700 replays in one folder, and it was impossible to find a certain game i wanted to view.

Now, if a replay is noteworthy of saving, I'll save it. I really don't want every game in my replay folder, since so few are actually good enough to warrant a view.

The change doesn't bother me at all.
the UMP says YER OUT
Lite.wasalreadytaken
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada42 Posts
July 09 2010 18:27 GMT
#24
On July 10 2010 02:10 darmousseh wrote:
I don't think its a bad idea for 90% of people who don't care too much about every replay. In most games, if you want extra information stored on your computer you have to specify that. This is just preventing the thousands of games people will play from automatically filling up your harddrive. Also consider that 99% of people will only use replays to watch the game once. For tournament games or pro games, they will just have to hit save and name it (so it kinda saves them from renaming it later.)


90% of people wont play thousands of games. 90% of people will play tens-hundreds, which is not an issue.
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
silver_fox
Profile Joined June 2008
Canada243 Posts
July 09 2010 18:29 GMT
#25
wow thanks for the headsup i didn't even realize this...
Lite.wasalreadytaken
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada42 Posts
July 09 2010 18:31 GMT
#26
On July 10 2010 03:27 junemermaid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2010 03:19 MasterOfChaos wrote:
On July 10 2010 02:20 MasterJack wrote:
yuo can get ~20/meg ... that's 5,000 replays per 100GB

Can you explain that step to me?

And personally I like the peace of mind that all my replays are saved.


Having all the replays saved gets a little bit unwieldy.

Phase 1 I had about 700 replays in one folder, and it was impossible to find a certain game i wanted to view.

Now, if a replay is noteworthy of saving, I'll save it. I really don't want every game in my replay folder, since so few are actually good enough to warrant a view.

The change doesn't bother me at all.


Use replay management software like sc gears.
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
~Matthias
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada56 Posts
July 09 2010 18:32 GMT
#27
Anyone else having problems downloading and playing replays from Phase 1?

Theres some games I want to watch, however it says I cannot load them, Im guessing its because of phase 2.
I attend church Sunday to Thursday at 7pm PST on day9.tv
Lite.wasalreadytaken
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada42 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-09 18:35:27
July 09 2010 18:33 GMT
#28
On July 10 2010 02:20 MasterJack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2010 02:16 Mastermind wrote:
auto replay save should be an option you can turn on or off, and it should be on by default. Replays are so small no one is going to care if they accidentally have a few hundred of them saved on their comp.

at 50kb/replay ... yuo can get ~20/meg ... that's 5,000 replays per 100GB, at 20mins/replay that's 1,667 hours of starcraft or .2years of playime.

The more you know! (not sure of the exact time/size ratio ... but close enough)


I am not sure what you are talking about. 100 gigabytes worth of 50 kb replays is over 2 million replays.

100 gigabytes / 50 kilobytes

Which, judging by your time estimate is just shy of 80 years.

100 gigabytes / 50 kilobytes * 20 minutes
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
RageOverdose
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States690 Posts
July 09 2010 18:35 GMT
#29
I have no problem with Blizzard keeping my stuff organized, but if there was some parameter that controls this and could be found...that wouldn't be a bad thing either.

It's just, I don't save every replay, just ones where I don't quite understand the loss, brag-worthy ones (rare), potential hacking, and when I feel I need to just evaluate my play a little more. And usually when those happen, it's either I watch it and save them when they happen, or I'll save them for later almost immediately. I don't like having a huge, hard to read list of replays.
Peekay.switch
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada285 Posts
July 09 2010 18:38 GMT
#30
I Think someone should post a thread on the blizzard suggestion forum to add more relevant info the the replay file names maybe?

Something like Date/Opponents/Game Length/Match up would be nice.

Can't browse the Blizzard forum from Work, did Anyone ever consider that? It'd make long ass names, but at least we'd know a bit better what it is.

Besides that, there should definitely be an option to save more than 25 replays...
Dionyseus
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States2068 Posts
July 09 2010 18:39 GMT
#31
On July 10 2010 03:26 IPS.ZeRo wrote:
An average replay seems to be about 150kb or so. Lets be pessimistic and say 200kb per replay.
Then 5000 replays would be 0,2mb * 5000 = 1GB. A PC that is able to run sc2 should have more than enough space so that replay files like that don't matter. Unless you are using a small SSD, but they could make an option to disable it.


Average replay size for me seems to be under 50kb, most of my games have lasted under 20 minutes.
9/5/10 P acct: NA D 10,683 651pts 69w56L http://sc2ranks.com/char/us/290365/LetoAtreides T acct: NA D 16,137 553pts 70w67L http://sc2ranks.com/char/us/1560008/Khrone Z: NA G 16,058 465pts 28w26L http://www.sc2ranks.com/us/1997354/Omnius
junemermaid
Profile Joined September 2006
United States981 Posts
July 09 2010 18:40 GMT
#32
On July 10 2010 03:31 Lite.wasalreadytaken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2010 03:27 junemermaid wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:19 MasterOfChaos wrote:
On July 10 2010 02:20 MasterJack wrote:
yuo can get ~20/meg ... that's 5,000 replays per 100GB

Can you explain that step to me?

And personally I like the peace of mind that all my replays are saved.


Having all the replays saved gets a little bit unwieldy.

Phase 1 I had about 700 replays in one folder, and it was impossible to find a certain game i wanted to view.

Now, if a replay is noteworthy of saving, I'll save it. I really don't want every game in my replay folder, since so few are actually good enough to warrant a view.

The change doesn't bother me at all.


Use replay management software like sc gears.


I shouldn't be forced to use a 3rd party program so I don't get swamped with replays because b.net auto-saves every 5 minute replay.

No thank you.
the UMP says YER OUT
Ndugu
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1078 Posts
July 09 2010 18:41 GMT
#33
This is a good default, but needs to be optional.
mnck
Profile Joined April 2010
Denmark1518 Posts
July 09 2010 18:41 GMT
#34
They will most likely make an autosave replay option like they did with WC3. WC3 doesn't autosave replays either by default.
@Munck
EliteAzn
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States661 Posts
July 09 2010 18:42 GMT
#35
I personally don't like the location of these new replays...it's a lot deeper in the folder...and too much work

Hopefully when the game comes out, all this folder nonsense will be cleaned up. This game has been changed a crapload since beta first came out...
(╯`Д´)╯︵ ┻━┻ High Five! _o /\ o_
bbulzibar
Profile Joined June 2010
United States80 Posts
July 09 2010 18:47 GMT
#36
I wish all the replays would be saved because while I rarely watch a specific replay, I need the replays to mine for statistics. For example, only after using the matchup analyzer did I realize that I really need to practice steppes of war (40% win rate) vs all other maps (60% win rate). Also I realized that i need to work on ZvT as that is my weakest MU.

Lite.wasalreadytaken
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada42 Posts
July 09 2010 18:53 GMT
#37
On July 10 2010 03:40 junemermaid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 10 2010 03:31 Lite.wasalreadytaken wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:27 junemermaid wrote:
On July 10 2010 03:19 MasterOfChaos wrote:
On July 10 2010 02:20 MasterJack wrote:
yuo can get ~20/meg ... that's 5,000 replays per 100GB

Can you explain that step to me?

And personally I like the peace of mind that all my replays are saved.


Having all the replays saved gets a little bit unwieldy.

Phase 1 I had about 700 replays in one folder, and it was impossible to find a certain game i wanted to view.

Now, if a replay is noteworthy of saving, I'll save it. I really don't want every game in my replay folder, since so few are actually good enough to warrant a view.

The change doesn't bother me at all.


Use replay management software like sc gears.


I shouldn't be forced to use a 3rd party program so I don't get swamped with replays because b.net auto-saves every 5 minute replay.

No thank you.


I don't know if I understand your point. By your description, in both scenarios the replay folder is useless. To derive use from it you would have to manually rename and file replays according to some criteria. Its just that in the old configuration you had the option of seeing every game you ever played and the only downside was a few less megabytes of free space on your drive. I think it's worth it.

You should try sc gears. It is targeted towards pro players. Blizzard wouldn't spend so much effort on a product for so little people. The killer feature is an AMP vs time chart.
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
Scorch
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Austria3371 Posts
July 09 2010 18:53 GMT
#38
I want autosave too, at least as an option. And while we're at it, I want the replays to be stored in the SC2 folder, not somewhere on my system drive where they don't belong.
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
July 09 2010 19:19 GMT
#39
On July 10 2010 03:53 Scorch wrote:
I want autosave too, at least as an option. And while we're at it, I want the replays to be stored in the SC2 folder, not somewhere on my system drive where they don't belong.

You can relocate your documents folder to another drive. It's a bit of work but should be worth it. Most of the autosaves of modern commercial programs go into the default folders, so if you move them off your system drive you are seperating all that save data from your system drive at once.
I don't know anymore how to do it exactly, you'll have to google it if you're interested. A simple cut and paste won't do.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
Phayze
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada2029 Posts
July 09 2010 19:21 GMT
#40
I would like to see an option to save all replays. It's retarded that they just removed that functionality, with absolutely no warning, and did absolutely nothing in giving the option of having this particular function.
Proud member of the LGA-1366 Core-i7 4Ghz Club
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 30m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2426
NotJumperer 17
Shinee 13
Noble 13
Dota 2
monkeys_forever941
NeuroSwarm213
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft297
Other Games
summit1g7316
Coldzera 776
JimRising 656
C9.Mang0460
PiGStarcraft268
ArmadaUGS26
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick989
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream338
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo829
• Rush634
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6h 30m
Afreeca Starleague
6h 30m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
20h 30m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 7h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.