• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:24
CEST 14:24
KST 21:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20264Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8610 users

Worker splitting: Does it really matter? - Page 9

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 17 Next All
Half
Profile Joined March 2010
United States2554 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-02 22:29:30
June 02 2010 22:23 GMT
#161
Huh I don't split either.

Guess that makes me a baddy huh bros. Too much work

That being said I kinda miss it. I missed being the baddy with 75 apm in C- who would beat you while drunk. Someone, that mod person, said something about playstyle distinguishing a player, so as a Player who never split, i feel like something has been lost. The ability to distinguish myself as a lazy fuck.

Down with casuals. brahrahrhaghahrhahrahrhr
Too Busy to Troll!
wanderer
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States641 Posts
June 02 2010 22:25 GMT
#162
On June 03 2010 06:57 G_G wrote:
In BW, every high level player split well. They did it in 100% of games, at the same time, everytime. I don't think that qualifies as a reward of superior mechanics when it only serves to level you off with the rest of the players.


yes.. yes it does.

what you just said contradicts everything i have ever learned about competitive gami.... anything, really.
Fuck you, I have a degree in mathematics and I speak 12 languages. (I called the World Cup final in 2008 btw)
Arrian
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States889 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-02 22:35:26
June 02 2010 22:29 GMT
#163
On June 03 2010 07:19 pilsken wrote:
Show nested quote +
.... You can't test it on slowest. The real test of whether f1 is how skilled you are at splitting. If you do it on slowest... well of course you will be able to be faster.


The question is, does a perfect manual split matter or is the difference so little/not exisiting that you should let the AI do it and don't bother with it.

Show nested quote +
I'm not saying the split should be very important, I'm saying making it not matter at all essentially is yet another attempt to marginalize the little things that separate players. Reducing it to the exact functions is missing the point. In BW, if you ever watched the GOM games, Tasteless constantly talks about all the little things that the players did, like the placement of depots or the placement of overlords or the timing of tech or buildings that on the surface wouldn't seem to matter, but they do. They separated players in important ways, yes, I said important. They're important because they betray deeper knowledge of the game, a more thought out and well executed game than somebody who may be otherwise equal. You can draw up many scenarios in which the split doesn't matter, and shouldn't matter, but there are scenarios where little things like splitting made a difference. Taking these out of SC2 is a way of marginalizing the small ways in which players distinguished themselves, and that's not a good thing.


You bring up several points that have nothing to do with worker splitting. Placement of Depots? Yes sure, it's a strategic component how your base is structured, even when just talking about depots. Placement of overlords? Sure, beeing a great scout while your supplyunit makes placement very important. Timing of buildings? Well thats essentially what build orders and strategies are all about.

But worker split? I beg your pardon, no. SC2 is not BW. There is no strategic value and no deeper understanding involved. It's just sending your workers to get money. There is no point in making the utmost basic thing in the world complicated. I bet there are millions of things you can improve in your game, which have much much more strategic/tactical value than just establishing basic muscle memory for the ever-same action in the first second of the game. Don't be so stuck in that BW mindset.


You misunderstand my examples. The depot example specifically was referring to the placement of depots by the spawn point of the CC which pops the SCV closer to the mineral patches to speed up mining. That is very similar to work splitting as it has the same general idea. The overlord example was specifically referring to positioning on scrap station as pointed out by Day[9] where overlords can check tech from two different directions.

And yes, worker split. Obviously, SC2 is not BW. That's not being contested. What I am saying is that SC2 should be more like BW in this respect. I don't want SC2 to be BW with new graphics, in fact, I really like the game. I part ways with a good many people on this board in not complaining about SC2 as it relates to BW. I think it's a really fun, strategic game. But this is one place where I really take issue with its design; I don't think it's complex enough in this respect.

I completely agree with you that my game, and most people's, can be improved in far more important ways than worker splitting. I'm not contesting there are far more important things than the worker split, and it's something I've said multiple times iirc. But that's also irrelevant to this discussion. I'm saying that while I don't want it to matter a lot, I do want it to matter more than it does.
Writersator arepo tenet opera rotas
Arrian
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States889 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-02 22:34:55
June 02 2010 22:30 GMT
#164
edit:total browser fail
Writersator arepo tenet opera rotas
Half
Profile Joined March 2010
United States2554 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-02 22:34:01
June 02 2010 22:30 GMT
#165
But worker split? I beg your pardon, no. SC2 is not BW. There is no strategic value and no deeper understanding involved. It's just sending your workers to get money. There is no point in making the utmost basic thing in the world complicated. I bet there are millions of things you can improve in your game, which have much much more strategic/tactical value than just establishing basic muscle memory for the ever-same action in the first second of the game. Don't be so stuck in that BW mindset.


Musicological psychological states dog.

Its mad amusing to watch an accomplished progamer take like five seconds to start mining after completely screwing up a split after losing two or three matches.

Messing up a split puts you back like fifty minerals. Whatever. But it has a far deeper impact both on the player and the audience because it's a simple task set right at the beginning of the game, and is going to put one player at an advantage, and another at a disadvantage, however slight, from there mental states alone, from their ability to preform under pressue and how they take their loses. It says something before anything has been said.

edit:

spellcheck is balls.
Too Busy to Troll!
Kletus
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada580 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-02 22:35:47
June 02 2010 22:34 GMT
#166
Okay, a couple of things to note:

i) Speed was slowest throughout the whole 1min timer; the timer I used was real-time supplied by the build order tester map VERSION 2.3.

ii) This was timed to the second. By that I mean I stopped looking at the minerals once I saw 1:00 so if an scv was JUST about to put in minerals, he gets cut.

iii) Race used was terran.

iv) For F1 split, I started the split from 6th patch from the bottom. Then just clicked down each patch. 7th scv was placed on the nearest non-occupied patch.

Also, I have noticed a pattern with the F1 selection AI and it can probably be done even more efficiently than just clicking down a line; will investigate this later.

v) For half split, I split the scvs to the patches 2nd from the top and 2nd from the bottom. 7th scv was placed on the nearest non-occupied patch.

vi) For no split, I simply took all my scvs and right-clicked the fifth patch from the bottom, which is the closest and most centered patch on the beta tester map. 7th scv was placed on the nearest non-occupied patch.

These are my findings:

Minerals @ 1min
[image loading]

The difference between half and none is truly negligible.
The difference between F1 and the rest is maybe a couple of milliseconds, just enough for one scv to finish his trip.

Your resistance only serves to make my carapace harder.
Buddhist
Profile Joined April 2010
United States658 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-02 22:39:53
June 02 2010 22:39 GMT
#167
er woops double post
Buddhist
Profile Joined April 2010
United States658 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-02 22:40:09
June 02 2010 22:39 GMT
#168

On June 03 2010 07:34 Kletus wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Okay, a couple of things to note:

i) Speed was slowest throughout the whole 1min timer; the timer I used was real-time supplied by the build order tester map VERSION 2.3.

ii) This was timed to the second. By that I mean I stopped looking at the minerals once I saw 1:00 so if an scv was JUST about to put in minerals, he gets cut.

iii) Race used was terran.

iv) For F1 split, I started the split from 6th patch from the bottom. Then just clicked down each patch. 7th scv was placed on the nearest non-occupied patch.

Also, I have noticed a pattern with the F1 selection AI and it can probably be done even more efficiently than just clicking down a line; will investigate this later.

v) For half split, I split the scvs to the patches 2nd from the top and 2nd from the bottom. 7th scv was placed on the nearest non-occupied patch.

vi) For no split, I simply took all my scvs and right-clicked the fifth patch from the bottom, which is the closest and most centered patch on the beta tester map. 7th scv was placed on the nearest non-occupied patch.

These are my findings:

Minerals @ 1min
[image loading]

The difference between half and none is truly negligible.
The difference between F1 and the rest is maybe a couple of milliseconds, just enough for one scv to finish his trip.



Nice. I'm happy that you found the F1 split superior, because like I said before, I want a reason to keep doing it, it's fun and looks cool :3.
Kletus
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada580 Posts
June 02 2010 22:40 GMT
#169
On June 03 2010 07:39 Buddhist wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 03 2010 07:34 Kletus wrote:
Okay, a couple of things to note:

i) Speed was slowest throughout the whole 1min timer; the timer I used was real-time supplied by the build order tester map VERSION 2.3.

ii) This was timed to the second. By that I mean I stopped looking at the minerals once I saw 1:00 so if an scv was JUST about to put in minerals, he gets cut.

iii) Race used was terran.

iv) For F1 split, I started the split from 6th patch from the bottom. Then just clicked down each patch. 7th scv was placed on the nearest non-occupied patch.

Also, I have noticed a pattern with the F1 selection AI and it can probably be done even more efficiently than just clicking down a line; will investigate this later.

v) For half split, I split the scvs to the patches 2nd from the top and 2nd from the bottom. 7th scv was placed on the nearest non-occupied patch.

vi) For no split, I simply took all my scvs and right-clicked the fifth patch from the bottom, which is the closest and most centered patch on the beta tester map. 7th scv was placed on the nearest non-occupied patch.

These are my findings:

Minerals @ 1min
[image loading]

The difference between half and none is truly negligible.
The difference between F1 and the rest is maybe a couple of milliseconds, just enough for one scv to finish his trip.


Nice. I'm happy that you found the F1 split superior, because like I said before, I want a reason to keep doing it, it's fun and looks cool :3.


Honestly, whatever the outcome I would keep doing F1 only because it looks sweet and it makes me feel super gosu.
Your resistance only serves to make my carapace harder.
Doc Daneeka
Profile Joined March 2010
United States577 Posts
June 02 2010 22:41 GMT
#170
i certainly don't feel any difference in the game from splitting, but why not do it? it's not like there's anything else going on in a game at the under 1 minute mark besides hitting the worker hotkey over and over..
payed off security
Bibdy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States3481 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-02 22:44:53
June 02 2010 22:42 GMT
#171
I think you should take this data with a grain of salt, by the way. Having identical minerals at a certain moment would be identical results even if you have 6 workers who had just delivered their minerals, versus 6 workers who are just about to deliver an extra batch.

Its hard to argue that a perfect split isn't going to net you SOME kind of advantage over someone who wastes the time of 5 workers moving that extra distance before they start mining. This new system is just less punishing on complete newbies who don't realize that splitting your workers up nets more resources than sending all four to a single spot (using SCBW as a reference).
numberThirtyOne
Profile Joined March 2008
United States294 Posts
June 02 2010 22:42 GMT
#172
On June 03 2010 07:39 Buddhist wrote:

Show nested quote +
On June 03 2010 07:34 Kletus wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Okay, a couple of things to note:

i) Speed was slowest throughout the whole 1min timer; the timer I used was real-time supplied by the build order tester map VERSION 2.3.

ii) This was timed to the second. By that I mean I stopped looking at the minerals once I saw 1:00 so if an scv was JUST about to put in minerals, he gets cut.

iii) Race used was terran.

iv) For F1 split, I started the split from 6th patch from the bottom. Then just clicked down each patch. 7th scv was placed on the nearest non-occupied patch.

Also, I have noticed a pattern with the F1 selection AI and it can probably be done even more efficiently than just clicking down a line; will investigate this later.

v) For half split, I split the scvs to the patches 2nd from the top and 2nd from the bottom. 7th scv was placed on the nearest non-occupied patch.

vi) For no split, I simply took all my scvs and right-clicked the fifth patch from the bottom, which is the closest and most centered patch on the beta tester map. 7th scv was placed on the nearest non-occupied patch.

These are my findings:

Minerals @ 1min
[image loading]

The difference between half and none is truly negligible.
The difference between F1 and the rest is maybe a couple of milliseconds, just enough for one scv to finish his trip.



Nice. I'm happy that you found the F1 split superior, because like I said before, I want a reason to keep doing it, it's fun and looks cool :3.


Looks like you already had 2 reasons.
voIDRAys are the most bm unit in SC2
bias-
Profile Joined October 2004
United States410 Posts
June 02 2010 22:43 GMT
#173
It's not as though splitting was very hard in the first place once you got the few methods used for various positions to minerals... especially compared to the other mechanics involved in the game. So for all these people saying that BW splitting was bad, or gave an advantage to the skilled player, or put players with poor mouse coordination at an inherent disadvantage from the start, or didn't matter that much anyway...
Say that to a Zerg who loses only one ling instead of two or three when doing a runby on a building cannon/s, or a bunker that completes just in time, or a zeal that gets there just in time allowing that last hit on the sunken to save a zealot, letting his shield recharge. The ramifications from a perfect split could be huge, and was essential.

It really wasn't hard. Not to show off because this is basic, but in BW this generally always works:
1) build worker
2)select 4 send to 'far patch' (select 2 higher than closest or 2 lower than closest patch)
3) select first 2 scvs ('first' being the two that spawned closest to patches, left two or right two)
4) send those to closest patch, select manually or de-select one and send it to patch right next to patch selected with first two
5) the other two scvs are still going to the 'far patch' you selected, still, so send the 'third one' to the patch next to the first one you selected.

It's about 4 'task' actions in ~ 4 seconds (100 APM required within the first minute, not even if you're like Flash at the start) 9 actions total (building + selecting scvs + selecting mineral patches). Within 20 minutes I think any SC2 new-to-the-game player can split perfectly 80% of the time, maybe less if you spawn with patches below your 'town hall.'

After this initial 'burst' (not even really hard) of action, you have all the time in the world relative to the rest of the game to think about strategy, starting positions, and possibilities. In the end I feel this finding reinforces people's desire to be lazy and to not practice mechanics at all. Not the mention the rest of the game that generally requires less (and moves arguably a bit slower, especially with animations), so I feel it's only compounding the problem.

Detailed enough?

For serious minds, a bias recognized is a bias sterilized.
Logo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States7542 Posts
June 02 2010 22:46 GMT
#174
On June 03 2010 07:29 Arrian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 03 2010 07:19 pilsken wrote:
.... You can't test it on slowest. The real test of whether f1 is how skilled you are at splitting. If you do it on slowest... well of course you will be able to be faster.


The question is, does a perfect manual split matter or is the difference so little/not exisiting that you should let the AI do it and don't bother with it.

I'm not saying the split should be very important, I'm saying making it not matter at all essentially is yet another attempt to marginalize the little things that separate players. Reducing it to the exact functions is missing the point. In BW, if you ever watched the GOM games, Tasteless constantly talks about all the little things that the players did, like the placement of depots or the placement of overlords or the timing of tech or buildings that on the surface wouldn't seem to matter, but they do. They separated players in important ways, yes, I said important. They're important because they betray deeper knowledge of the game, a more thought out and well executed game than somebody who may be otherwise equal. You can draw up many scenarios in which the split doesn't matter, and shouldn't matter, but there are scenarios where little things like splitting made a difference. Taking these out of SC2 is a way of marginalizing the small ways in which players distinguished themselves, and that's not a good thing.


You bring up several points that have nothing to do with worker splitting. Placement of Depots? Yes sure, it's a strategic component how your base is structured, even when just talking about depots. Placement of overlords? Sure, beeing a great scout while your supplyunit makes placement very important. Timing of buildings? Well thats essentially what build orders and strategies are all about.

But worker split? I beg your pardon, no. SC2 is not BW. There is no strategic value and no deeper understanding involved. It's just sending your workers to get money. There is no point in making the utmost basic thing in the world complicated. I bet there are millions of things you can improve in your game, which have much much more strategic/tactical value than just establishing basic muscle memory for the ever-same action in the first second of the game. Don't be so stuck in that BW mindset.


You misunderstand my examples. The depot example specifically was referring to the placement of depots by the spawn point of the CC which pops the SCV closer to the mineral patches to speed up mining. That is very similar to work splitting as it has the same general idea. The overlord example was specifically referring to positioning on scrap station as pointed out by Day[9] where overlords can check tech from two different directions.

And yes, worker split. Obviously, SC2 is not BW. That's not being contested. What I am saying is that SC2 should be more like BW in this respect. I don't want SC2 to be BW with new graphics, in fact, I really like the game. I part ways with a good many people on this board in not complaining about SC2 as it relates to BW. I think it's a really fun, strategic game. But this is one place where I really take issue with its design; I don't think it's complex enough in this respect.

I completely agree with you that my game, and most people's, can be improved in far more important ways than worker splitting. I'm not contesting there are far more important things than the worker split, and it's something I've said multiple times iirc. But that's also irrelevant to this discussion. I'm saying that while I don't want it to matter a lot, I do want it to matter more than it does.


Still I think there are important distinctions between the different things you mention. Building the depot or positioning the overlord still involves a strategic decision because there's a trade-off. Putting a supply depot in a given location means you aren't putting it elsewhere. The worker split is completely irrelevant strategically. It's a 100% decision. It's ALWAYS better to split once you learn to do it.

I really agree that the small stuff should matter and add up, it's what really makes the game interesting to keep playing. I just think that in the particular case of a worker split it's a very acceptable loss (good even) since there's 0 strategic element to it and it comes at the start of the game when 100% of your attention can be focused on it. By all means say that you miss having any cool small tricks or that some small stuff should be more interesting. I just think you should pick your battles. A small mechanic test with 0 strategic element is not the type of battle I'd recommend picking.
Logo
Kletus
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada580 Posts
June 02 2010 22:47 GMT
#175
On June 03 2010 07:42 Bibdy wrote:
I think you should take this data with a grain of salt, by the way. Having identical minerals at a certain moment would be identical results even if you have 6 workers who had just delivered their minerals, versus 6 workers who are just about to deliver an extra batch.

Its hard to argue that a perfect split isn't going to net you SOME kind of advantage over someone who wastes the time of 5 workers moving that extra distance before they start mining. This new system is just less punishing on complete newbies who don't realize that splitting your workers up nets more resources than sending all four to a single spot.


Agreed, it's only a couple milliseconds. At best I would say it will help you defend against or execute cheese. At the same time, remember that I was just "clicking down the mineral line" with F1. The F1 selection AI automatically picked the top one each time, then the bottom, then 2nd from top etc. It's something I'll look into for sure because I'm curious.
Your resistance only serves to make my carapace harder.
pilsken
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany441 Posts
June 02 2010 22:48 GMT
#176
I actually almost prefer the wc3 approach. Just have a single mining spot that loses mining efficency once you put more than x drones on it (where x is the amount of drones you need to put on your mineral fields in sc2 to lose efficency) to the same degree as now. Exactly same numbers, no splitting, same mining for everyone.

Now of course this doesn't work in sc2 for lots and lots of reasons, since the mineral line and all it's implications on harassing, defending, buildingplacement etc. is an important (_and_ strategic) part of sc2. But for me there seems to be no point to have a) the most basic thing in the game beeing overly complicated b) people getting rewarded for _purely_ mechanical abilites. All the macroing, microing and tactics we do, may they be mechanically as demanding as possible, have always a thought component, always a part where your brain has to take part. This is just not the case with worker splitting.

Another argument is, that there is also no decisionmaking in how to split your workers. It's not like if i do move A it'll be better say at 5 mins and if i do move B it'll be better at 10 mins. It's just split right or go fuck yourself. No game should be demanding in that way. In some cases you can not avoid it (when you have to overcome the weaknesses of an AI f.e.), but BW is so full of these issues it was absolutely necessary Blizzard got rid of it.
Jusciax
Profile Joined August 2007
Lithuania588 Posts
June 02 2010 22:54 GMT
#177
9 pages of discussion for this insignificant discovery? Hilarious...
Twist-O-Fate
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada38 Posts
June 02 2010 22:56 GMT
#178
On June 03 2010 03:29 mOnion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 03 2010 03:21 woolly wrote:
I suck at splitting anyways, I more often screw it up than get it right. Good riddance!


and another terrible player moves up in the ranks due to Blizzard's pathetic blessing.

Fantastic.

this is like the saddest thing ever.




LOL If everyone in the ranks have this same advantage, why would this terrible player surpass anyone, or move up from where he was? Show me one player that was being held back by splitting problems....Drama Queens abound these days; saddest thing ever.
Read not to contradict and to confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider.
Arrian
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States889 Posts
June 02 2010 22:56 GMT
#179
On June 03 2010 07:46 Logo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 03 2010 07:29 Arrian wrote:
On June 03 2010 07:19 pilsken wrote:
.... You can't test it on slowest. The real test of whether f1 is how skilled you are at splitting. If you do it on slowest... well of course you will be able to be faster.


The question is, does a perfect manual split matter or is the difference so little/not exisiting that you should let the AI do it and don't bother with it.

I'm not saying the split should be very important, I'm saying making it not matter at all essentially is yet another attempt to marginalize the little things that separate players. Reducing it to the exact functions is missing the point. In BW, if you ever watched the GOM games, Tasteless constantly talks about all the little things that the players did, like the placement of depots or the placement of overlords or the timing of tech or buildings that on the surface wouldn't seem to matter, but they do. They separated players in important ways, yes, I said important. They're important because they betray deeper knowledge of the game, a more thought out and well executed game than somebody who may be otherwise equal. You can draw up many scenarios in which the split doesn't matter, and shouldn't matter, but there are scenarios where little things like splitting made a difference. Taking these out of SC2 is a way of marginalizing the small ways in which players distinguished themselves, and that's not a good thing.


You bring up several points that have nothing to do with worker splitting. Placement of Depots? Yes sure, it's a strategic component how your base is structured, even when just talking about depots. Placement of overlords? Sure, beeing a great scout while your supplyunit makes placement very important. Timing of buildings? Well thats essentially what build orders and strategies are all about.

But worker split? I beg your pardon, no. SC2 is not BW. There is no strategic value and no deeper understanding involved. It's just sending your workers to get money. There is no point in making the utmost basic thing in the world complicated. I bet there are millions of things you can improve in your game, which have much much more strategic/tactical value than just establishing basic muscle memory for the ever-same action in the first second of the game. Don't be so stuck in that BW mindset.


You misunderstand my examples. The depot example specifically was referring to the placement of depots by the spawn point of the CC which pops the SCV closer to the mineral patches to speed up mining. That is very similar to work splitting as it has the same general idea. The overlord example was specifically referring to positioning on scrap station as pointed out by Day[9] where overlords can check tech from two different directions.

And yes, worker split. Obviously, SC2 is not BW. That's not being contested. What I am saying is that SC2 should be more like BW in this respect. I don't want SC2 to be BW with new graphics, in fact, I really like the game. I part ways with a good many people on this board in not complaining about SC2 as it relates to BW. I think it's a really fun, strategic game. But this is one place where I really take issue with its design; I don't think it's complex enough in this respect.

I completely agree with you that my game, and most people's, can be improved in far more important ways than worker splitting. I'm not contesting there are far more important things than the worker split, and it's something I've said multiple times iirc. But that's also irrelevant to this discussion. I'm saying that while I don't want it to matter a lot, I do want it to matter more than it does.


Still I think there are important distinctions between the different things you mention. Building the depot or positioning the overlord still involves a strategic decision because there's a trade-off. Putting a supply depot in a given location means you aren't putting it elsewhere. The worker split is completely irrelevant strategically. It's a 100% decision. It's ALWAYS better to split once you learn to do it.

I really agree that the small stuff should matter and add up, it's what really makes the game interesting to keep playing. I just think that in the particular case of a worker split it's a very acceptable loss (good even) since there's 0 strategic element to it and it comes at the start of the game when 100% of your attention can be focused on it. By all means say that you miss having any cool small tricks or that some small stuff should be more interesting. I just think you should pick your battles. A small mechanic test with 0 strategic element is not the type of battle I'd recommend picking.


Ah, but there is connection. In 'A Legacy of Distinction' I wrote:

A game that is pure is one that has at its core the essence of strategy. Undoubtedly, there is no way for a real-time strategy game to be purely strategy; some technical component must accompany and complement the strategic one. But the physical component should not be considered irrelevant to competitive purity—competitive purity stresses strategic advantages over technical prowess, but technical ability is also a major factor. The prevailing idea behind a purity of competition is that, in the end, the better player must be the one to win, whether or not the play of the victor is defined by technical rather than strategic prowess. The favoring of strategy over technical ability is not a slight to the value of technical play, but rather it is meant to disqualify a game that permits the player who button-crunches faster and harder to always be the victor.

Technical ability and strategic execution are very different functions for a player, as different as the functions of the parts of the brain that control these activities. Without technical ability, the execution of a strategy will inevitably fail. Without a strategy, technical ability is useless. This is to point out that these two must act together; they must be completely and consciously coordinated. It is difficult to quantify or investigate which of these skills is more important to the outcome of a game, and it ought not be a concern for the player. In StarCraft, as in other competitive games, it is the fundamentals of strategy and technical ability that prove most important. Flashy hand motions or micro gimmicks are superficial and irrelevant to game outcome if the fundamentals of strategy and technique are not in place.


So bascially, we pretty much agree, except I believe that the split is one of those things that prevent a strategy from being executed to its fullest, and that is an interesting property of a build order: some miscue on the part of the player unrelated to his mental idea of the strategy can impede its success.
Writersator arepo tenet opera rotas
exezelot
Profile Joined May 2010
United States26 Posts
June 02 2010 22:58 GMT
#180
It's just fun to do. Just like spamming early. There's really no point to it, but it just helps you feel better about yourself, and helps your gameplay. I don't like sitting idle... It's counter intuitive to me.
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
Zoun vs herOLIVE!
SHIN vs TBD
IntoTheiNu 1207
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 238
Rex 81
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 54492
Calm 3791
Shuttle 2813
Bisu 1321
FanTaSy 1296
firebathero 389
Stork 275
Hyuk 263
Zeus 252
actioN 250
[ Show more ]
Mini 237
Soma 232
Rush 223
EffOrt 208
Soulkey 145
Last 139
Light 128
ZerO 114
Snow 110
Mong 71
Dewaltoss 64
PianO 64
Pusan 56
Sea.KH 56
Killer 45
JYJ 44
NotJumperer 37
hero 36
Barracks 36
Free 35
Shinee 34
ToSsGirL 31
Yoon 30
Bale 29
Aegong 27
Sharp 22
Shine 20
sorry 20
HiyA 19
yabsab 19
Sacsri 18
Noble 16
Dota 2
Gorgc6421
Dendi520
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1328
kRYSTAL_97
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King97
Heroes of the Storm
Lowko425
Other Games
gofns33593
singsing1994
B2W.Neo660
crisheroes245
DeMusliM213
hiko152
Livibee98
byalli14
ZerO(Twitch)5
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV206
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream18
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 7
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 31
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
OSC
36m
OSC
9h 51m
Replay Cast
10h 36m
OSC
1d 10h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 21h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.