• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:06
CEST 21:06
KST 04:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20267Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Biografia
Playlenda
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9471 users

Worker splitting: Does it really matter? - Page 10

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 17 Next All
cloudJR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States266 Posts
June 02 2010 23:21 GMT
#181
Personally I never split, but I always assumed the people who do either want to look cool (always a positive) or want to prevent a weird AI glitch putting them 1-2 seconds behind. Either way by the data it doesn't matter and that kind of upsets me.
All I can hear are thousands of children screaming imbalance.......
woolly
Profile Joined May 2010
United States56 Posts
June 02 2010 23:28 GMT
#182
I just tested as well, and can confirm that the F1 split yields 5 more minerals at the 40 sec mark. That 5 minerals isn't going to exponentially increase though, so I suppose it's more a question of preference.
roymarthyup
Profile Joined April 2010
1442 Posts
June 02 2010 23:28 GMT
#183
the best split is moving your 6 workers to one half of your 8 mineral patchs targeting the third or fourth one from the end then take the worker furthest away from reaching that mineral and select it and move it to a the closest mineral to your main on the other half.


i do this every game. seems to get out that 8th scv way faster
pyr0ma5ta
Profile Joined May 2010
United States458 Posts
June 02 2010 23:30 GMT
#184
On June 03 2010 08:28 roymarthyup wrote:
the best split is moving your 6 workers to one half of your 8 mineral patchs targeting the third or fourth one from the end then take the worker furthest away from reaching that mineral and select it and move it to a the closest mineral to your main on the other half.


i do this every game. seems to get out that 8th scv way faster


This cool story brought to you by Bro, Inc. Back up your claim. The OP has numbers. You have a super cool story.
"I made you a zergling, but I eated it." - Defiler
Lexpar
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
1813 Posts
June 02 2010 23:34 GMT
#185
It's nerds like you that make this community great.
Kletus
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada580 Posts
June 02 2010 23:36 GMT
#186
Alright! I have further testing with F1. Here is what I gathered:

I originally thought that the F1 selection AI wasn't random, I was wrong. However, 7 out of the 15 games I played ended up with the scvs being selected by this pattern: top, bottom, top, bottom, etc.
About 4 times I would get: top, bottom, bottom, bottom, etc. For the rest of the games the selection seemed random.

I ran through the tests(same ones as on page 9) comparing the F1 first pattern to the F1 "click down the minerals" and the difference in negligible; the scv that carries the minerals to raise the count to 145 is just about to hand it in before the timer hits 1:00.
Your resistance only serves to make my carapace harder.
SkCom
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada229 Posts
June 03 2010 00:04 GMT
#187
if nothing else, the split will at least warm us up for a good match instead of just spamming mindlessly to keep your hands warm
Bosu
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States3247 Posts
June 03 2010 00:08 GMT
#188
On June 03 2010 09:04 SkCom wrote:
if nothing else, the split will at least warm us up for a good match instead of just spamming mindlessly to keep your hands warm


lol

If there really is no difference splitting to warm up would be pretty dumb since people screw it up all the time.
#1 Kwanro Fan
ClicheGuevara
Profile Joined May 2010
United States11 Posts
June 03 2010 00:28 GMT
#189
auto split/mine and MBS are only expanding the player base. It isn't really going to make a difference in the higher levels of play


By "expanding the player base" you mean "fixing a shitty UI".
Redmark
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada2129 Posts
June 03 2010 00:37 GMT
#190
Either way it's really an insignificant change.
If I practiced for half an hour I could do a practically-perfect split every times, or at least perfect enough for it not to matter. It doesn't add skill, it just adds a bit of time you have to practice something trivial and useless to get to playing the actual competitive game.
NonY
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
8751 Posts
June 03 2010 00:37 GMT
#191
On June 03 2010 09:28 ClicheGuevara wrote:
Show nested quote +
auto split/mine and MBS are only expanding the player base. It isn't really going to make a difference in the higher levels of play


By "expanding the player base" you mean "fixing a shitty UI".

High level players didn't have a problem with the UI. I think you are mistaken here.
"Fucking up is part of it. If you can't fail, you have to always win. And I don't think you can always win." Elliott Smith ---------- Yet no sudden rage darkened his face, and his eyes were calm as they studied her. Then he smiled. 'Witness.'
ejac
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States1195 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-03 00:40:59
June 03 2010 00:40 GMT
#192
If I do not split, I typically have to wait like, iono, .2 seconds after the first drone hatches before I build the second, and if I do split, I build it right when the drone hatches.

Does it really matter? no. I may be gaining a grand total of .1 minerals. I could probably play 100 billion games and you'd see no connection between me splitting and what not, but I do it anyway
esq>n
CauthonLuck
Profile Joined July 2009
United States93 Posts
June 03 2010 00:43 GMT
#193
It matters, a fair amount on some maps, an insignificant amount on others.

These tests that were run don't take into account important factors like the start time on your second worker nor the distribution of optimal mineral patches. Using a 3/3 or f1 split on a map that has it's optimal patches on the ends instead of the middle areas is conclusively better than sending all 6 to any one of the patches and letting the AI take over.

Kletus
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada580 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-03 00:59:50
June 03 2010 00:44 GMT
#194
On June 03 2010 09:37 Liquid`NonY wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 03 2010 09:28 ClicheGuevara wrote:
auto split/mine and MBS are only expanding the player base. It isn't really going to make a difference in the higher levels of play


By "expanding the player base" you mean "fixing a shitty UI".

High level players didn't have a problem with the UI. I think you are mistaken here.


Agreed, heck I didn't have a problem with the UI and I was C-. Then again I'm currently playing, "warcraft: orcs and humans" and having a blast. 4 unit selection only, have to use hotkeys to move units(right click moves your view, not moves units and I actually prefer this over todays rts games), units/buildings can't be hotkeyed to number keys.

Feels good, wish I could stream it but alas my upload rate sucks.
Your resistance only serves to make my carapace harder.
SnuggleKittens
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia57 Posts
June 03 2010 01:11 GMT
#195
It could be to do with how workers get minerals. I dont really know how the system worked but in WC3 workers would walk slow or fast between resources and town hall. i guess this is how it kept the income consistent. Perhaps a similar mechanism is used in SC2 whereby once you tell workers to mine a mineral patch, the game knows what the income should be and then alters the mining speed or traveling speed of the workers.
qoiN
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden576 Posts
June 03 2010 01:13 GMT
#196
I use a 3-2-1 split, moves all, selects 3 to move to another closer, then move one in the last group before it has to auto-split, and I earn at least a few ms. I've tested it out and it does make a small difference. I think I had a ~5-10 minerals difference while trying out different splits for 1-2 hours, god was it boring though.
InfiniteIce
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States794 Posts
June 03 2010 01:19 GMT
#197
Yea, this is about what I expected. Kinda sad that it makes NO difference whatsoever. The intensive micro components that lead to small advantages (remember, very small advantages add up, over the time period of a game...) seem to be being removed. SC2 is becoming (whether intentional or not!) less micro-requiring than a lot of people hoped for..

This is just quibbling over 5-10 minerals, but to those players with the skill and speed to do nice splits, such a miniscule 5-10 mineral reward SHOULD be allocated, I think. It's never going to break or win a game, but micro should be rewarded with small advantages over time.

Just my opinion.

Also, thanks for the charts and tests! I was hoping somebody would get around to this.
i keep going back to my response to chill's fake PM and laughing, then immediately getting a feeling that i assume i'd get if i had an orgasm and the girl said "hahaha guess what i have a dick" -FakeSteve
michaelhasanalias
Profile Joined May 2010
Korea (South)1231 Posts
June 03 2010 01:27 GMT
#198
I mean honestly, the funniest part of all this is that the position you put your cursor into plus adjustment reaction time more than eclipses any mineral gain.

This was the case in BW as well....

If you juts right click all 4 workers on the same patch, you could either jump a patch (if you're that retarded) or worst case, be back 1 gather.

So the difference there was genuinely up to 24 minerals, where as this you're not down gathers, but simply slowing your total gathers by milliseconds, which are really within the margin of error for the rest of your game.

If your micro/macro is up to where milliseconds of gather made a difference, you wouldn't be worrying about it anyway.

I mean, probably 40 people have commented on how misplaced the elitism over microing workers at the start is, but I think it's worth continuing to state until they stop crying about it.

I'm sorry you guys fail at basic mathematics and timescales in your brains, but it really doesn't make a difference beyond the margin of error of even a single mis-click over the entire game.
KR NsPMichael.805 | AM Michael.2640 | SEA Michael.523 | 엔에스피 New Star Players
dogabutila
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States1438 Posts
June 03 2010 01:31 GMT
#199
Some of the videos I watch of pros have them sending all to 1 patch, but splitting off 1 drone manually to a corner one.
Baller Fanclub || CheAse Fanclub || Scarlett Fanclub || LJD FIGHTING!
Playguuu
Profile Joined April 2010
United States926 Posts
June 03 2010 01:39 GMT
#200
I didn't think splits mattered so much because the pathing and ai is pretty decent. I was surprised though with the timing of the first worker built. I guess I can relax at the beginning of the game now.
I used to be just like you, then I took a sweetroll to the knee.
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 10m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 607
ProTech152
UpATreeSC 121
JuggernautJason47
MindelVK 29
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 30138
Calm 2962
Shuttle 766
firebathero 158
Mini 151
Dewaltoss 121
soO 32
HiyA 30
Hyun 29
NaDa 21
[ Show more ]
Aegong 20
Bale 20
PianO 18
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc8289
XaKoH 341
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1599
fl0m1555
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu564
Other Games
FrodaN3149
Beastyqt666
B2W.Neo604
ceh9576
mouzStarbuck423
Livibee184
ToD144
C9.Mang0126
KnowMe119
RotterdaM98
Trikslyr93
Mew2King42
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 36
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki34
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie951
• Shiphtur651
• WagamamaTV238
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 10m
Replay Cast
3h 55m
OSC
1d 3h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 14h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 21h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 23h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.