• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:18
CEST 15:18
KST 22:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8798 users

Beta Key Self-Nominators - Page 64

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 62 63 64 65 66 99 Next
crate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States2474 Posts
April 18 2010 21:25 GMT
#1261
On April 19 2010 06:23 getSome[703] wrote:
I think/hope that the contest ends with keys being awarded to people who have removed themselves from consideration. Selflessness deserves rewards. Selfishness does not.

I'd say nominating oneself in the first place is a selfish act.
We did. You did. Yes we can. No. || http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/crate.html || twitch.tv/crate3333
Cheree
Profile Joined January 2010
Canada123 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-18 21:28:45
April 18 2010 21:26 GMT
#1262
On April 19 2010 06:22 snowdrift86 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2010 05:50 Cheree wrote:
I am starting to feel like TL has some condescending/elite behavior from their members/leaders. There's people like that everywhere, and thanks to this thread, I can start pinpointing these guys out. Getting to know the community goes both ways.


I'm sure they'll all understand the error of their ways and quickly reform once they know you're watching them.

I'm not arguing to reform them, I'm doing it to get to know them and see if I wish to socialize with them any further. I'm also empathizing with those who don't have beta keys to ease their depression. Yes, I'm a Saint, brought to Earth to spread love and care to the world. Tomorrow morning, I'm planning to go make a donation to Amnesty International and buy a goat the whole village can fuck. I'm just that kind of person.
*wants beta*
LodiDodi
Profile Joined April 2010
United States30 Posts
April 18 2010 21:26 GMT
#1263
it has come to my attention that my name is still crossed off. please green font me
What is brown and rhymes with Snoop? Dr. Dre
3FFA
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States3931 Posts
April 18 2010 21:27 GMT
#1264
Now this thread is getting funny for me. I don't know about why you would be jealous though. I was just guessing, thats why I put a "IDK" in my post after jealous.
"As long as it comes from a pure place and from a honest place, you know, you can write whatever you want."
leetchaos
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States395 Posts
April 18 2010 21:29 GMT
#1265
Serious Business.
getSome[703]
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States753 Posts
April 18 2010 21:31 GMT
#1266
On April 19 2010 06:25 crate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2010 06:23 getSome[703] wrote:
I think/hope that the contest ends with keys being awarded to people who have removed themselves from consideration. Selflessness deserves rewards. Selfishness does not.

I'd say nominating oneself in the first place is a selfish act.


I disagree. People who are new to TL will not be familiar with names on the forum and people who do deserve a key. And a seemingly free chance to get a beta key opens up via self-nomination it is hard not to take without realizing the multitude of other deserving members.

Hopefully though, after seeing the error of their ways, people will realize that there ARE people who want to play and deserve to more than they do, and consent to have their name removed. This recognition alone makes them deserving of a beta key IMO
Running Log! http://www.runningahead.com/logs/5081b4d7a4a94c5e8fa20b01e668dfb6/calendar
prosky
Profile Joined January 2007
Poland83 Posts
April 18 2010 21:31 GMT
#1267
@lodidodi - you can't "uncross" your name , if you haven't made it in time to post here "i want to stay"
w00t th3 f00ck ?
crate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States2474 Posts
April 18 2010 21:33 GMT
#1268
On April 19 2010 06:31 getSome[703] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2010 06:25 crate wrote:
On April 19 2010 06:23 getSome[703] wrote:
I think/hope that the contest ends with keys being awarded to people who have removed themselves from consideration. Selflessness deserves rewards. Selfishness does not.

I'd say nominating oneself in the first place is a selfish act.


I disagree. People who are new to TL will not be familiar with names on the forum and people who do deserve a key. And a seemingly free chance to get a beta key opens up via self-nomination it is hard not to take without realizing the multitude of other deserving members.

Hopefully though, after seeing the error of their ways, people will realize that there ARE people who want to play and deserve to more than they do, and consent to have their name removed. This recognition alone makes them deserving of a beta key IMO

You say that wanting a beta key for yourself instead of allowing it to go to someone else is selfish (this is this thread).

You say that wanting a beta key for yourself instead of allowing it to go to someone else is not selfish (this is nominating yourself to win one).

I really don't see how you can logically agree with both of these sentences.
We did. You did. Yes we can. No. || http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/crate.html || twitch.tv/crate3333
3FFA
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States3931 Posts
April 18 2010 21:34 GMT
#1269
I hope Proom wins and If neccesary I will snooze(and loose) just to give him a better chance of winning. I will decide before going to bed(~5 hours)
"As long as it comes from a pure place and from a honest place, you know, you can write whatever you want."
Cheree
Profile Joined January 2010
Canada123 Posts
April 18 2010 21:35 GMT
#1270
On April 19 2010 06:25 crate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2010 06:23 getSome[703] wrote:
I think/hope that the contest ends with keys being awarded to people who have removed themselves from consideration. Selflessness deserves rewards. Selfishness does not.

I'd say nominating oneself in the first place is a selfish act.

Go to a job interview and say 'No, I don't think I deserve the job. There are many more valuable candidates than me.' and leave. See if your humbleness deserves any reward.
*wants beta*
crate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States2474 Posts
April 18 2010 21:36 GMT
#1271
On April 19 2010 06:35 Cheree wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2010 06:25 crate wrote:
On April 19 2010 06:23 getSome[703] wrote:
I think/hope that the contest ends with keys being awarded to people who have removed themselves from consideration. Selflessness deserves rewards. Selfishness does not.

I'd say nominating oneself in the first place is a selfish act.

Go to a job interview and say 'No, I don't think I deserve the job. There are many more valuable candidates than me.' and leave. See if your humbleness deserves any reward.

I never said selfishness is bad. I'm a very selfish person and I don't understand people who are not. I'm just attacking an argument that doesn't seem self-consistent to me.
We did. You did. Yes we can. No. || http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/crate.html || twitch.tv/crate3333
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
April 18 2010 21:37 GMT
#1272
On April 19 2010 06:35 Cheree wrote:
Go to a job interview and say 'No, I don't think I deserve the job. There are many more valuable candidates than me.' and leave. See if your humbleness deserves any reward.

That's not relevant. For one, no one at most places of work are judging you on selfishness. Arguably, selfishness and ruthlessness are advantageous traits in many of those lines of work.
Moderator
snowdrift
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
France2061 Posts
April 18 2010 21:37 GMT
#1273
On April 19 2010 06:26 Cheree wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2010 06:22 snowdrift86 wrote:
On April 19 2010 05:50 Cheree wrote:
I am starting to feel like TL has some condescending/elite behavior from their members/leaders. There's people like that everywhere, and thanks to this thread, I can start pinpointing these guys out. Getting to know the community goes both ways.


I'm sure they'll all understand the error of their ways and quickly reform once they know you're watching them.

I'm not arguing to reform them, I'm doing it to get to know them and see if I wish to socialize with them any further.


Oh, I'm sure they'll reform now! Who would want to miss out on having you as a friend? What can they do to obtain your forgiveness?
NaDa. Our Lord and sAviOr shall return. Learn to nydus you scrub
Cheree
Profile Joined January 2010
Canada123 Posts
April 18 2010 21:39 GMT
#1274
On April 19 2010 06:36 crate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2010 06:35 Cheree wrote:
On April 19 2010 06:25 crate wrote:
On April 19 2010 06:23 getSome[703] wrote:
I think/hope that the contest ends with keys being awarded to people who have removed themselves from consideration. Selflessness deserves rewards. Selfishness does not.

I'd say nominating oneself in the first place is a selfish act.

Go to a job interview and say 'No, I don't think I deserve the job. There are many more valuable candidates than me.' and leave. See if your humbleness deserves any reward.

I never said selfishness is bad. I'm a very selfish person and I don't understand people who are not. I'm just attacking an argument that doesn't seem self-consistent to me.

Also, another point. You could be a good contributor and nominate yourself. You could even be better than other nominees who didn't nominate themselves. To take an extreme example, a lifetime's worth of selfless acts shouldn't be shattered by the mere fact that one nominated themselves to bring it to the attention of people.
*wants beta*
prosky
Profile Joined January 2007
Poland83 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-18 21:41:01
April 18 2010 21:39 GMT
#1275
Oh, yes, what can i do to obtain your forgiveness, dear lords? (Please note that if you don't forgive me i still have eskimo assassins waiting for orders.(and their bears too))



Anyway, they shouldn't allow to nominate yourself in the begining. That would make people to think who is worthy of getting the keys, but they didn't do that and even mentioned that self-nomi is okay. That turned on crowd frenzy about "i wannaaa beta key", and this topic was created :D
w00t th3 f00ck ?
getSome[703]
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States753 Posts
April 18 2010 21:40 GMT
#1276
On April 19 2010 06:33 crate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 19 2010 06:31 getSome[703] wrote:
On April 19 2010 06:25 crate wrote:
On April 19 2010 06:23 getSome[703] wrote:
I think/hope that the contest ends with keys being awarded to people who have removed themselves from consideration. Selflessness deserves rewards. Selfishness does not.

I'd say nominating oneself in the first place is a selfish act.


I disagree. People who are new to TL will not be familiar with names on the forum and people who do deserve a key. And a seemingly free chance to get a beta key opens up via self-nomination it is hard not to take without realizing the multitude of other deserving members.

Hopefully though, after seeing the error of their ways, people will realize that there ARE people who want to play and deserve to more than they do, and consent to have their name removed. This recognition alone makes them deserving of a beta key IMO

You say that wanting a beta key for yourself instead of allowing it to go to someone else is selfish (this is this thread).

You say that wanting a beta key for yourself instead of allowing it to go to someone else is not selfish (this is nominating yourself to win one).

I really don't see how you can logically agree with both of these sentences.


Let me clarify then.

You say that wanting a beta key for yourself instead of allowing it to go to someone else is/is not selfish (this is this thread).

Wanting a beta key is not selfish. Everybody likes beta keys. And people who originally self-nominated themselves may not have realized that there are other more deserving people than they are. So in the scope of THESE people's knowledge, it is not a selfish act. They may not be aware of the work and effort many people have put into the TL community. However, people who nominate themselves knowing full well they have done shit and that other people have are being selfish.

And of course, people who do ultimately realize and are OK with the fact that other people deserve beta keys more than they do by conceding this contest are not being selfish.


Running Log! http://www.runningahead.com/logs/5081b4d7a4a94c5e8fa20b01e668dfb6/calendar
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-18 21:45:31
April 18 2010 21:43 GMT
#1277
On April 19 2010 06:39 Cheree wrote:
Also, another point. You could be a good contributor and nominate yourself. You could even be better than other nominees who didn't nominate themselves. To take an extreme example, a lifetime's worth of selfless acts shouldn't be shattered by the mere fact that one nominated themselves to bring it to the attention of people.

Then you drop out of the contest. If you value this community more than a silly beta key, the decision should be trivial.

Selflessness implies doing good without expecting anything in return. Even if you've contributed to the community, by nominating yourself, you are asking for something in return. The fact that you've contributed is irrelevant to whether or not you're being selfish.

Responding to an earlier post:
On April 19 2010 06:20 Cheree wrote:
Ah, the fun of being on the inside pissing out. The answer to "Why are you pissing on your members and newcommers?" is "You'll understand with time." Tough love, man. Tough love.

It's not tough love. People who entered the community without expecting some material reward for being a member are treated just fine, and, as seen in the other thread, plenty were rewarded for it. The only people who have been given the tough treatment are those who feel like they *deserve* something.
Moderator
prosky
Profile Joined January 2007
Poland83 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-18 21:47:39
April 18 2010 21:47 GMT
#1278
Anyway you consider all "low posters" new members. Remember that some of them might be like me - i like to read , not to write stuff ( well, that's probably i was too busy playing bw xD - it changed a bit now) but my account dates way back than Cheere or TheYango. So please, don't assume something just looking at someone post number.
w00t th3 f00ck ?
crate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States2474 Posts
April 18 2010 21:48 GMT
#1279
On April 19 2010 06:40 getSome[703] wrote:
Let me clarify then.

You say that wanting a beta key for yourself instead of allowing it to go to someone else is/is not selfish (this is this thread).

Wanting a beta key is not selfish. Everybody likes beta keys. And people who originally self-nominated themselves may not have realized that there are other more deserving people than they are. So in the scope of THESE people's knowledge, it is not a selfish act. They may not be aware of the work and effort many people have put into the TL community. However, people who nominate themselves knowing full well they have done shit and that other people have are being selfish.

And of course, people who do ultimately realize and are OK with the fact that other people deserve beta keys more than they do by conceding this contest are not being selfish.

Wanting a beta key for oneself is selfish, by definition:

selfish: arising from concern with one's own welfare or advantage in disregard of others (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/selfish)

(I recognize that this is the second definition. Dictionary.com's first definition agrees with the one I quote here, and in my mind MW's first definition agrees also but I don't like the "excessive" qualifier because that doesn't at all apply to how I use the word so I don't quote that definition).

Since beta keys are a limited resource, wanting a beta key for yourself (being concerned for your ability to play SC2 beta) instead of allowing it to go to someone else (disregard of others) is being selfish.

Note that this says nothing about whether the selfish person deserves the key more or has done more for TL. That is irrelevant--read the definition of the word.
We did. You did. Yes we can. No. || http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/crate.html || twitch.tv/crate3333
LosingID8
Profile Blog Joined December 2006
CA10835 Posts
April 18 2010 21:50 GMT
#1280
On April 19 2010 06:47 prosky wrote:
Anyway you consider all "low posters" new members. Remember that some of them might be like me - i like to read , not to write stuff ( well, that's probably i was too busy playing bw xD - it changed a bit now) but my account dates way back than Cheere or TheYango. So please, don't assume something just looking at someone post number.

in a way it's almost worse that you joined in 2007 and don't even have 50 posts.

it reminds me of baller's post
On April 18 2010 08:37 baller wrote:
i think its funny mad peeps think watching streams or loving/playing starcraft is "contributing". helping others is contributing. doing work 4 the site is contributing. entertaining urself by doing something u choose to do is not contributing. simply existing on a website is not "contributing".

its like going to some1s house, not talking to the ppl there, watching the TV that they bought, eating the food they made, and then saying "ur welcome every1, no need 2 thank me just gimme a beta key"
ModeratorResident K-POP Elitist
Prev 1 62 63 64 65 66 99 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 43m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 631
Railgan 60
MindelVK 31
Codebar 2
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 68754
Calm 11100
Bisu 2391
FanTaSy 1167
Stork 743
soO 437
Rush 397
firebathero 211
Snow 176
Last 152
[ Show more ]
Sharp 109
Mind 96
Light 95
hero 80
Pusan 71
Sea.KH 55
Free 48
ToSsGirL 44
Trap 41
Sexy 35
Mong 32
Hm[arnc] 32
Bale 29
Aegong 20
yabsab 16
HiyA 15
zelot 14
Noble 11
Sacsri 10
Rock 9
Shine 9
IntoTheRainbow 7
Terrorterran 7
scan(afreeca) 6
Icarus 4
Dota 2
Gorgc6811
Dendi1135
Counter-Strike
fl0m3195
byalli816
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King75
Other Games
gofns39535
singsing2474
B2W.Neo575
Liquid`RaSZi555
Pyrionflax243
Beastyqt239
Happy182
Hui .122
Mlord57
Trikslyr48
Chillindude17
Khaldor15
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV213
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 92
• Response 10
• Dystopia_ 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV515
League of Legends
• Jankos3031
• Nemesis3009
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1419
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
1h 43m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 43m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 43m
OSC
9h 43m
Replay Cast
9h 43m
OSC
22h 43m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 21h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.