• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:30
CEST 17:30
KST 00:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20266Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10808 users

2014 Olympic Ice Hockey Tournament of Manly Men - Page 23

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 122 Next
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
February 13 2014 19:20 GMT
#441
On February 14 2014 04:16 Sub40APM wrote:
the only major team that didnt disappoint was USA. Both Canada and Russia look really vulnerable.

agreed, though it is canadian tradition to start slow and needlessly make easy games tough

the russians are pretty sketchy outside of their top six talent.
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
iCanada
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada10660 Posts
February 13 2014 19:23 GMT
#442
On February 14 2014 04:20 QuanticHawk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2014 04:16 Sub40APM wrote:
the only major team that didnt disappoint was USA. Both Canada and Russia look really vulnerable.

agreed, though it is canadian tradition to start slow and needlessly make easy games tough

the russians are pretty sketchy outside of their top six talent.


Yeah. Anton Belov played the 2nd most minutes for a Russian Defender tonight.

The last 5 games hes been a healthy scratch by the Edmonton Oilers for Fraser.
Masamune
Profile Joined January 2007
Canada3401 Posts
February 13 2014 19:24 GMT
#443
On February 14 2014 04:20 iCanada wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2014 04:13 Masamune wrote:
yeah I think this game amplified that bad decision not to include guys like Hall on this team.

Really uncomfortable about Canada in this tournament despite Norway not being bad. Hope it's not a Torino all over again


I dunno, i think the team will be fine, I do think Hall and Giroux should have made the team though.

Hall on big ice just seems like a natural fit to me. Kid would be the fastest player on the ice all tournament long.

I dont like Kunitz being on the team (or Nash for that matter, he's been garbage this year), but I'm actually okay with Carter. He feels like a fit to me, has the speed and hands to keep up. Also probably the only "shoot" player on the team aside from maybe Marleau.

That being said, regardless of picks its a poor excuse; we have the deepest and strongest club here, bar none.

I hope so!
Roflhaxx
Profile Joined April 2010
Korea (South)1244 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-13 19:25:37
February 13 2014 19:25 GMT
#444
On February 14 2014 04:20 Masamune wrote:
Population wise, Norway is around the same size as Finland but why aren't they as good? I mean, I think today proved that they have the potential to be on a similar level and hopefully they can beat the Fins next game.

Football is a lot bigger than hockey over here. And even at football we are pretty terrible.
A game where the first thing you do is scout with a “worker”. Does that make any sense? Who scouts with a “worker”? That’s like sending out the janitor to perform recon, what general would do that? Retarded game.
Masamune
Profile Joined January 2007
Canada3401 Posts
February 13 2014 19:27 GMT
#445
On February 14 2014 04:25 Roflhaxx wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2014 04:20 Masamune wrote:
Population wise, Norway is around the same size as Finland but why aren't they as good? I mean, I think today proved that they have the potential to be on a similar level and hopefully they can beat the Fins next game.

Football is a lot bigger than hockey over here. And even at football we are pretty terrible.

That sucks I think more of your players should try and compete in the North American system instead of always going to Sweden. Anyway, rooting for you against Finland and Austria and in curling (aside from Canada, ofc )
Sub40APM
Profile Joined August 2010
6336 Posts
February 13 2014 19:30 GMT
#446
On February 14 2014 04:20 QuanticHawk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2014 04:16 Sub40APM wrote:
the only major team that didnt disappoint was USA. Both Canada and Russia look really vulnerable.

agreed, though it is canadian tradition to start slow and needlessly make easy games tough

the russians are pretty sketchy outside of their top six talent.

Ya maybe, as is the tradition of picking people who dont belong in the Olympics like Carter and Kunitz because although hockey is a rich kids sport the pig farmers who fluked into being hockey brass today still like to pretend its a 'blue collar' sport or whatever reason Hall isnt there or Duchane sits.
iCanada
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada10660 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-13 19:32:54
February 13 2014 19:31 GMT
#447
On February 14 2014 04:24 Masamune wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2014 04:20 iCanada wrote:
On February 14 2014 04:13 Masamune wrote:
yeah I think this game amplified that bad decision not to include guys like Hall on this team.

Really uncomfortable about Canada in this tournament despite Norway not being bad. Hope it's not a Torino all over again


I dunno, i think the team will be fine, I do think Hall and Giroux should have made the team though.

Hall on big ice just seems like a natural fit to me. Kid would be the fastest player on the ice all tournament long.

I dont like Kunitz being on the team (or Nash for that matter, he's been garbage this year), but I'm actually okay with Carter. He feels like a fit to me, has the speed and hands to keep up. Also probably the only "shoot" player on the team aside from maybe Marleau.

That being said, regardless of picks its a poor excuse; we have the deepest and strongest club here, bar none.

I hope so!


I think the Nash selection should get more hate than any of the others... dude is currently 170th in NHL scoring. Dead last for those included on the Olympic team. Was picked for "Olympic experience" and wanting a Natural Left winger.

Ah well. Like I said, still the best team on paper in pretty much every aspect in the games. Especially defensive talent... we make every other squad look like Junior teams when we compare defenceman.

On February 14 2014 04:27 Masamune wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2014 04:25 Roflhaxx wrote:
On February 14 2014 04:20 Masamune wrote:
Population wise, Norway is around the same size as Finland but why aren't they as good? I mean, I think today proved that they have the potential to be on a similar level and hopefully they can beat the Fins next game.

Football is a lot bigger than hockey over here. And even at football we are pretty terrible.

That sucks I think more of your players should try and compete in the North American system instead of always going to Sweden. Anyway, rooting for you against Finland and Austria and in curling (aside from Canada, ofc )


Agreed, I think Norwegians would do well in the CHL. The Germans have started coming over and they have really flourished.
Masamune
Profile Joined January 2007
Canada3401 Posts
February 13 2014 19:40 GMT
#448
Wasn't Nash playing really well for the Rangers in the last few games heading towards the Olympics? I actually like him on the team and think he had some really good scoring chances this game... hopefully he'll do better vs. Austria. But Kunitz, to me, was the worst choice tbh. I think Carter needs to be placed elsewhere and I agree with Sub40APM in that Duchene should be playing. Subban definitely needs to be, as well. I dunno, hopefully things come together :S

QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
February 13 2014 19:43 GMT
#449
he started good, got hurt, came back and sucked, has been better of late and had a small hot streak before not scoring in the last 5 games.
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
iCanada
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada10660 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-13 19:52:33
February 13 2014 19:49 GMT
#450
On February 14 2014 04:40 Masamune wrote:
Wasn't Nash playing really well for the Rangers in the last few games heading towards the Olympics? I actually like him on the team and think he had some really good scoring chances this game... hopefully he'll do better vs. Austria. But Kunitz, to me, was the worst choice tbh. I think Carter needs to be placed elsewhere and I agree with Sub40APM in that Duchene should be playing. Subban definitely needs to be, as well. I dunno, hopefully things come together :S



Hall this season has 20 goals, 56 points in 53 games. Kunitz this season has 27 goals, 57 points in 59 games. Nash has 18 goals, 27 points in 48 games.

I know Nash has talent. I know he has experience. But 0.56 ppg just isn't good enough for Team Canada, imo.

He has been really really bad this year. Its not even like he brings physicality any more. Has all of 8 hits. 8! Kunitz has 125 hits, and Hall has 46.

I just dont think Nash is good enough at this stage in his career. I think Iginla for example wouldn't been a much better pick.
Masamune
Profile Joined January 2007
Canada3401 Posts
February 13 2014 19:53 GMT
#451
iCanada, shattering dreams one post at a time
Masamune
Profile Joined January 2007
Canada3401 Posts
February 13 2014 19:54 GMT
#452
I'm still hoping Nash's speed and skill will be an asset for us, though
iCanada
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada10660 Posts
February 13 2014 20:01 GMT
#453
Like I said, I dont like the pick, but honestly, I dont think its a good excuse at all. We are the favorites, we should be the favorites.

I think the team will do fine. I have confidence in them (as much as I think Hall would've been ten times the pick as far as speed and skill goes.)
one-one-one
Profile Joined November 2011
Sweden551 Posts
February 13 2014 20:08 GMT
#454
On February 14 2014 04:54 Masamune wrote:
I'm still hoping Nash's speed and skill will be an asset for us, though


Who cares? You are not gonna win any medals anyways.

The most interesting game of tomorrow is of course Sweden - Switzerland. A Swedish victory is certain, we don't need to waste any time arguing about that. Switzerland might feel before the game that they have a small chance, but when they stand on the ice waiting for the first puck drop facing down the Swedish players that are taller, stronger, manlier and more elegant, that feeling will go away quickly.

I predict 6-1 or 5-2 to Sweden.

Zetterberg is saved for later games. The Swedish coach doesn't want him on the ice against a bunch of fake-German KHL b-teamers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1BFY4R7IIP4#t=1710s
Shelke14
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada6655 Posts
February 13 2014 20:24 GMT
#455
Sweden has no chance this year, see yea in 4 years man.
Banff
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada39 Posts
February 13 2014 20:26 GMT
#456
On February 14 2014 04:20 Masamune wrote:
Population wise, Norway is around the same size as Finland but why aren't they as good? I mean, I think today proved that they have the potential to be on a similar level and hopefully they can beat the Fins next game.


Should look at other sports, Norway has been real good at alpine sports (skiing & snowboarding). I think what really pushed Finland over the top was Teemu Selanne and they've had maybe 20 years since his break out to develop a great junior hockey system which has definitely popularized the sport. Norway now has Zuccarello and he was very good against Canada (his speed is one to match), so maybe they are just a couple of years behind in junior hockey development.

I was disappointed with Kunitz and Carter's play. Appeared lack lustre, hoping they put Duchene in with Crosby. I remember watching him play at the IIHF tourny and his speed & size was hard to match. He looked a lot like Nash did today.

A player that have really impressed me is Oliver Ekman Larsson. Watched him at a couple Calgary Coyotes games and his ease of skating is amazing. On the international, Sweden played really cohesive hockey. I thought D. Sedin looked a little lost out there without Henrik.

My favourite under dog team to cheer is Switzerland, they always play a tight game (much the way Norway did today) and tend to hang in there to the end. I have been impressed with the games today and yesterday.
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-13 20:28:45
February 13 2014 20:28 GMT
#457
On February 14 2014 05:26 Banff wrote:
[...]Calgary Coyotes[...]

lol
so true
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
AlternativeEgo
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden17309 Posts
February 13 2014 20:40 GMT
#458
All the decent Norwegian talents have been developed in MoDo. "Oh, what is MoDo?" you might wonder. MoDo is best hockey club from glorious Örnsköldsvik. Maybe you have heard of Peter Forsberg, Marcus Näslund, ginger twin brothers, Niklas Sundström, Victor Hedman. I can go on all day. So the key for future Norway hockey is here. Come throw your oil money at us and we will forge your youth.
Mark Munoz looks like Gretorp
Badboyrune
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Sweden2247 Posts
February 13 2014 20:45 GMT
#459
I wonder if hockey is the only thing that can bring both swedes and Canadians to actual trash talk
"If yellow does start SC2, I should start handsomenerd diaper busniess and become a rich man" - John the Translator
Sn0_Man
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
Tebellong44238 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-13 20:52:43
February 13 2014 20:52 GMT
#460
No Hockey just attracts the scumbags and retards who trash talk habitually (see: lamprey, one-one-one, etc).

Your average Canadian (and I'd assume swede) remain courteous and wise even when discussing hockey.

Note: Flaming Americans is a national pastime for us and doesn't count.
LiquidDota StaffSCIENTISTS BAFFLED | 3275929302
Prev 1 21 22 23 24 25 122 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
22:00
King of the Hill #264
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
MaxPax 338
OGKoka 260
Codebar 51
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 40720
Calm 3844
Shuttle 1918
Bisu 1629
FanTaSy 1456
Mini 1103
Soma 701
Rush 581
EffOrt 477
Stork 328
[ Show more ]
Light 296
actioN 282
Snow 249
Hyuk 246
firebathero 210
ZerO 209
Dewaltoss 106
Zeus 85
Barracks 80
hero 71
Sea.KH 51
Shinee 48
Killer 46
Pusan 36
Sharp 36
Hyun 35
ToSsGirL 31
Bale 29
Free 26
Shine 20
Yoon 20
Aegong 18
PianO 17
HiyA 16
sorry 16
zelot 15
yabsab 13
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc7710
Dendi1002
League of Legends
KnowMe41
Counter-Strike
x6flipin674
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes553
Other Games
singsing2300
hiko1591
B2W.Neo357
byalli269
mouzStarbuck203
Livibee199
Liquid`VortiX186
Hui .169
Beastyqt136
Mew2King69
Trikslyr59
RotterdaM23
Rex19
ZerO(Twitch)15
FrodaN0
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV248
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 49
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV248
League of Legends
• Nemesis2683
Other Games
• Shiphtur549
Upcoming Events
OSC
6h 45m
Replay Cast
7h 30m
OSC
1d 7h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 18h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.