• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:47
CEST 05:47
KST 12:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6600 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 85

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 83 84 85 86 87 730 Next
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
February 17 2011 19:04 GMT
#1681
question: I'm considering getting magnesium because I'm getting these weird "mini cramps" in my left leg. how much should I take per day?
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
vicariouscheese
Profile Joined June 2010
United States589 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-17 19:11:15
February 17 2011 19:10 GMT
#1682
On February 18 2011 03:56 frawress wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 18 2011 02:36 vicariouscheese wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On February 18 2011 02:21 frawress wrote:
Today's Workout:

Squat
20x1x5
30x1x5
40x1x5
45x1x0.5 (LOL)
40x2x5

Bench Press
45x2x5
55x1x5
60x1x5
65x3x5

Getting used to the form on squat but still having difficulties with the 45lb bar and I think its just a balance/shoulder flexibility issue. I'm working on it though.

Bench Press is getting much better and the form is coming more naturally to me.

Feels good :D!


For balance, what kind of shoes are you using?

Have you checked out the cal strength vids on shoulder flexibility?

How are you doing those weights btw, just holding up dumbbells?


I'm just wearing my regular shoes which are more running shoes I think:
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.famousfootwear.com/Shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?p=90864&pg=1020478

Yes I watched the videos and I bought a PVC pipe to work on flexibility.

My school rec center has a set of a barbells in increments of 10lbs starting at 20lbs. I was just using those to do the squats. The only difference being that they aren't as wide so I can't use the squat rack and it forces my hands to be further inward which is something I'm not doing with the larger bar.


Assuming you are correct in that you are having balance issues, I would highly recommend not using those kinds of shoes for any of the SS workouts. Alot of people here will recommend lifting shoes, but chucks are a great cheap starting shoe, and I personally vouch for barefoot for stability. I almost missed a rep at ~180 with crappy shoes, switched to barefoot and didnt have any troubles until I hit my back issue at 240.

Anyways keep it up :D


On February 18 2011 04:04 Zafrumi wrote:
question: I'm considering getting magnesium because I'm getting these weird "mini cramps" in my left leg. how much should I take per day?


A magnesium calculator like the fish oil one we have somewhere here (can we put that in the OP actually?) would be awesome
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
February 17 2011 19:21 GMT
#1683
You should find out when you start getting diarrhea from magnesium and take a little less than that. That's how you find your body's absorption rate
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
February 17 2011 19:23 GMT
#1684
lol sounds pleasant :D searched this thread for magnesium, and it said about 600mg per day!
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
Necosarius
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Sweden4042 Posts
February 17 2011 19:25 GMT
#1685
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DIMSUM :D
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
February 17 2011 19:44 GMT
#1686
EL DIMSUM!

EL BIRTHDAY BROZO

LEVANTA ESA VERGA CHICO

VAMO QUE TU PUEDES

GOGOGO DIMSUM

Happy birthday bro .
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-17 20:25:16
February 17 2011 20:08 GMT
#1687
On February 18 2011 03:56 frawress wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 18 2011 02:36 vicariouscheese wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On February 18 2011 02:21 frawress wrote:
Today's Workout:

Squat
20x1x5
30x1x5
40x1x5
45x1x0.5 (LOL)
40x2x5

Bench Press
45x2x5
55x1x5
60x1x5
65x3x5

Getting used to the form on squat but still having difficulties with the 45lb bar and I think its just a balance/shoulder flexibility issue. I'm working on it though.

Bench Press is getting much better and the form is coming more naturally to me.

Feels good :D!


For balance, what kind of shoes are you using?

Have you checked out the cal strength vids on shoulder flexibility?

How are you doing those weights btw, just holding up dumbbells?


I'm just wearing my regular shoes which are more running shoes I think:
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.famousfootwear.com/Shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?p=90864&pg=1020478

Yes I watched the videos and I bought a PVC pipe to work on flexibility.

My school rec center has a set of a barbells in increments of 10lbs starting at 20lbs. I was just using those to do the squats. The only difference being that they aren't as wide so I can't use the squat rack and it forces my hands to be further inward which is something I'm not doing with the larger bar.


If you're wearing running shoes, you might want to think about wearing old socks to the gym and squatting barefoot. Feels much better to me, but it will get your socks dirty :p. I use the same type of bar as you're describing for my overhead press. They're fine for squats until you can use a full size one, which should be any day now. Just make sure you're getting deep enough!

As far as not being done SS when you reset your bench... well, yeah. That's why im still on the program. Im just being proactive about making sure I take longer to stall out the next time.

On the magnesium thing, I take 500 mg every morning. Hasn't messed with me yet, and it certainly seems to help with cramping and with getting quality sleep. Even more than the Vit D, calcium, or Fish oil, I notice if I miss it for two or three days.

Also happy birthday dimsum! Go lift a 10,000 kg cake over your head, then throw it to the moon to celebrate.
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-17 21:26:03
February 17 2011 20:12 GMT
#1688
thanks guys :D

I think I will try to max deadlift to see how much I can pull. :D


btw thanks eshlow on the advice. Ill just try to live healthy as possible. I dont want to get any surgery :D
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-17 21:17:18
February 17 2011 21:17 GMT
#1689
---oops sorry meant to edit
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
February 17 2011 22:21 GMT
#1690
@Frawress: try doing it barefoot/in socks. I felt a huge stability increase when I started doing them in Chuck's...which is basicly the same as going barefoot.

@decaf: Well, I guess I have to try harder then...the elbows just wont go higher for me

@DimSum: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! WOOOOO

Also, postponed todays bench sessions in favour of spending the day snowboarding! <333333 :D
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
Slithe
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States985 Posts
February 17 2011 22:26 GMT
#1691
Eshlow, I'm thinking of buying some rings. Do you have any experience with the xtreme rings from GymnasticBodies? They seem to be pretty well received and are cheaper than the EXF rings.
FyRe_DragOn
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada2057 Posts
February 17 2011 22:29 GMT
#1692
happy bday dimsum!

successfully deadlifted 100kg x5 today! squats are getting up there too..did 3x3 @ 195.

I rewatched that dave tate bench video that rosaparks posted a while ago before lifting today, I think it really helped with my tightness when unracking the bar. Still benched a measley 105x3x5, but I can see some actual progress coming if I dont skip workouts again.
aka DragOn[NaS]
frawress
Profile Joined February 2011
United States22 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-17 23:29:28
February 17 2011 23:17 GMT
#1693
On February 18 2011 04:10 vicariouscheese wrote:
Assuming you are correct in that you are having balance issues, I would highly recommend not using those kinds of shoes for any of the SS workouts. Alot of people here will recommend lifting shoes, but chucks are a great cheap starting shoe, and I personally vouch for barefoot for stability. I almost missed a rep at ~180 with crappy shoes, switched to barefoot and didnt have any troubles until I hit my back issue at 240.

Anyways keep it up :D


thanks!

By chucks I'm assuming you mean something like this: amazon? I remember reading about it in SS but I didn't think it would make much of a difference for when I was starting out. I guess I was wrong.

On February 18 2011 05:08 phyre112 wrote:
If you're wearing running shoes, you might want to think about wearing old socks to the gym and squatting barefoot. Feels much better to me, but it will get your socks dirty :p. I use the same type of bar as you're describing for my overhead press. They're fine for squats until you can use a full size one, which should be any day now. Just make sure you're getting deep enough!


I don't think they'll let me do anything barefoot. They have a strict set of rules which require athletic shoes. I'm also not allowed to drop barbells or use chalk. Luckily I'll only be at this one until I graduate in June then I can look for somewhere better to lift. I doubt places like LA fitness/24hr fitness are any better though.

On February 18 2011 07:21 sJarl wrote:
@Frawress: try doing it barefoot/in socks. I felt a huge stability increase when I started doing them in Chuck's...which is basicly the same as going barefoot.


Yeah I might just do that.

Happy Birthday DimSum!
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
February 18 2011 00:33 GMT
#1694
On February 18 2011 08:17 frawress wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On February 18 2011 04:10 vicariouscheese wrote:
Assuming you are correct in that you are having balance issues, I would highly recommend not using those kinds of shoes for any of the SS workouts. Alot of people here will recommend lifting shoes, but chucks are a great cheap starting shoe, and I personally vouch for barefoot for stability. I almost missed a rep at ~180 with crappy shoes, switched to barefoot and didnt have any troubles until I hit my back issue at 240.

Anyways keep it up :D


thanks!

By chucks I'm assuming you mean something like this: amazon? I remember reading about it in SS but I didn't think it would make much of a difference for when I was starting out. I guess I was wrong.

On February 18 2011 05:08 phyre112 wrote:
If you're wearing running shoes, you might want to think about wearing old socks to the gym and squatting barefoot. Feels much better to me, but it will get your socks dirty :p. I use the same type of bar as you're describing for my overhead press. They're fine for squats until you can use a full size one, which should be any day now. Just make sure you're getting deep enough!


I don't think they'll let me do anything barefoot. They have a strict set of rules which require athletic shoes. I'm also not allowed to drop barbells or use chalk. Luckily I'll only be at this one until I graduate in June then I can look for somewhere better to lift. I doubt places like LA fitness/24hr fitness are any better though.

On February 18 2011 07:21 sJarl wrote:
@Frawress: try doing it barefoot/in socks. I felt a huge stability increase when I started doing them in Chuck's...which is basicly the same as going barefoot.


Yeah I might just do that.

Happy Birthday DimSum
!


Those are the shoes we were talking about. Mine run up to the ankle though...dunno if it has any effect.

If the gym says no chalk, you use it anyway but try to spill as little as possible.

Protip: find an underground gym with lots of loud music, ugly but huge men and plenty of iron and you'll improve drastically.
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
February 18 2011 01:01 GMT
#1695
On February 18 2011 07:26 Slithe wrote:
Eshlow, I'm thinking of buying some rings. Do you have any experience with the xtreme rings from GymnasticBodies? They seem to be pretty well received and are cheaper than the EXF rings.


I think rogue rings are cheaper than Xtreme rings

Honestly it doesn't matter which one you get... if you're serious about strength work then anything works and cheapest tends to be best option for people.

I like the feel of wood ones the best but they're expensive
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
February 18 2011 01:35 GMT
#1696
Usually if you go barefoot and don't make a big deal out of it you'll be fine. Same with chalk, just dont spill/leave it all over the place so that people start to complain.

Squatted 205 for 5x5 today, felt like a BOSS. Chinups 3x8, ohp 5x5 @ 80lbs...aced my first ochem test of the semester, and somehow its magically 45 degrees out in syracuse in february. Minute I step out of the gym, my pandora radio goes into triple overdrive movie soundtrack mode. This moment is possibly one of the best feelings I will ever have in my life. I Fucking love the gym, its done so much for my life, and i'm happy ALL THE TIME. Fuck yeah health and fitness thread. I mean this literally, you guys have changed my life.
Catch
Profile Joined September 2010
United States616 Posts
February 18 2011 01:53 GMT
#1697
:\ i hate being sick.
I think its strep throat, theres a bad case of it going around from what i hear.

Been about 24 hours and I can already tell Its starting to get better. Thanks to some vitamin D (and some promeythazine with codone syrup)

Kinda sucks, I really wanted to lift this week. I hate missing workouts.
Btw Happy bday dimsum!
Victory Loves Preparation
Slithe
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States985 Posts
February 18 2011 01:58 GMT
#1698
On February 18 2011 10:35 phyre112 wrote:
...aced my first ochem test of the semester


TL Health and Fitness Thread. It makes your brain buff too.
frawress
Profile Joined February 2011
United States22 Posts
February 18 2011 02:15 GMT
#1699
On February 18 2011 09:33 sJarl wrote:
Those are the shoes we were talking about. Mine run up to the ankle though...dunno if it has any effect.

If the gym says no chalk, you use it anyway but try to spill as little as possible.

Protip: find an underground gym with lots of loud music, ugly but huge men and plenty of iron and you'll improve drastically.


I did some research and people say not to keep the top part too tight because it limits ankle flexibility, i guess that only matters for certain lifts though.

On February 18 2011 10:35 phyre112 wrote:
Usually if you go barefoot and don't make a big deal out of it you'll be fine. Same with chalk, just dont spill/leave it all over the place so that people start to complain.


I haven't seen anyone using it and the weight room staff is pretty anal about having any liquid other then water in weight room so I can't imagine how batshit crazy they would go if I brought some chalk. Grip isn't an issue right now though so I don't need it.

On February 18 2011 10:35 phyre112 wrote:aced my first ochem test of the semester


here's a meme that you might be able to appreciate:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
February 18 2011 02:26 GMT
#1700
Spent five minutes trying to figure out what was happening there before I realized the screen on my phone is only wide enough to display half the image :p. I guess after the exam my brain isn't buff, it just hurts like hell
Prev 1 83 84 85 86 87 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 219
ProTech131
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17716
Rain 1454
GuemChi 641
sSak 43
Bale 23
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm191
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1022
taco 462
minikerr37
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1021
Mew2King69
Other Games
summit1g7651
JimRising 637
WinterStarcraft579
C9.Mang0170
ViBE121
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1066
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream50
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Light_VIP 18
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo786
• Stunt277
Other Games
• Shiphtur744
• Scarra718
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
6h 13m
INu's Battles
7h 13m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
9h 13m
OSC
18h 28m
Replay Cast
19h 13m
OSC
1d 19h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.