• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:47
CEST 05:47
KST 12:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6600 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 86

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 84 85 86 87 88 730 Next
ShaLLoW[baY]
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Canada12499 Posts
February 18 2011 02:26 GMT
#1701
Front squat is now up to 245lbs, yeeeee buddy!
ALEXISONFIRE ARE FUCKING BACK (sAviOr for life)
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
February 18 2011 03:44 GMT
#1702
On February 18 2011 10:35 phyre112 wrote:
Usually if you go barefoot and don't make a big deal out of it you'll be fine. Same with chalk, just dont spill/leave it all over the place so that people start to complain.

Squatted 205 for 5x5 today, felt like a BOSS. Chinups 3x8, ohp 5x5 @ 80lbs...aced my first ochem test of the semester, and somehow its magically 45 degrees out in syracuse in february. Minute I step out of the gym, my pandora radio goes into triple overdrive movie soundtrack mode. This moment is possibly one of the best feelings I will ever have in my life. I Fucking love the gym, its done so much for my life, and i'm happy ALL THE TIME. Fuck yeah health and fitness thread. I mean this literally, you guys have changed my life.



isnt there a oly gym in syracuse?
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
February 18 2011 03:47 GMT
#1703
On February 18 2011 10:35 phyre112 wrote:
Usually if you go barefoot and don't make a big deal out of it you'll be fine. Same with chalk, just dont spill/leave it all over the place so that people start to complain.

Squatted 205 for 5x5 today, felt like a BOSS. Chinups 3x8, ohp 5x5 @ 80lbs...aced my first ochem test of the semester, and somehow its magically 45 degrees out in syracuse in february. Minute I step out of the gym, my pandora radio goes into triple overdrive movie soundtrack mode. This moment is possibly one of the best feelings I will ever have in my life. I Fucking love the gym, its done so much for my life, and i'm happy ALL THE TIME. Fuck yeah health and fitness thread. I mean this literally, you guys have changed my life.


I know a guy who does Oly at Syracuse but I'm not sure where he works out of.... I can ask him for you if you wanted
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
sawedust
Profile Joined December 2010
United States506 Posts
February 18 2011 04:08 GMT
#1704
Crazy squat day for me on the GST program!

Squat 3x135 3x135 8x135
Front Squat 3x8@95
Bulgarian Split Squat 3x8@25

Definitely smashed those quads today, by my final set I couldn't get up from the ground. Those split squats are a killer to finish with.

As for the lifting shoes, I second the Chucks. Good stuff while also looking stylish at the same time.
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-18 04:15:37
February 18 2011 04:10 GMT
#1705
I've got a while to go before i'm ready for oly I think. Id say i'm halfway/ three quarters through SS right now I think? There was no club listed at the site you posted a while back dimsum... but it's a relatively large city, so I can't see that there wouldn't be something somewhere.

Maybe sometime in the next few months it would be great to get into oly... i'm obviously in the syracuse university/hill area, but between buses and my sisters car, I can pretty much get anywhere I need to. Thanks for the offer, maybe soon ill be able to take you up on it.

Edit/sidenote - I'm now out of excuses. Guess i'll have to start doing flexibility work, full cleans, front squats and overhead squats(?). Time to work up to oly for real!

Editedit- on the shoe note, I lift in pumas with basically no sole in them whatsoever. Still on my phone, but ill post a similar shoe when I get to a pc.
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
February 18 2011 04:16 GMT
#1706
i swear i saw a video of a oly gym with syracuse on the wall.

Well usaw only post gyms that are certified for oly weightlifitng. There are plenty of college gyms that have bumpers and platform but are not registered for usaw.
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
February 18 2011 05:08 GMT
#1707
On February 18 2011 13:16 AoN.DimSum wrote:
i swear i saw a video of a oly gym with syracuse on the wall.

Well usaw only post gyms that are certified for oly weightlifitng. There are plenty of college gyms that have bumpers and platform but are not registered for usaw.


Yeah, in the main gym we have one platform and set of bumper plates. In the athlete's gym (have to be on football, basketball, or lacrosse team to access) there are rows of platforms and power cages and bumper plates... seriously the set up in there probably costs three times my tuition. All those athletes using it are, of course on full scholarship =p.

I lift in shoes something like http://www.amazon.com/PUMA-Drift-Sneaker-White-Black/dp/B001VH7C8Y/ref=sr_1_46?ie=UTF8&qid=1298005296&sr=8-46. Just btw.
Kenshin_915
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada139 Posts
February 18 2011 05:23 GMT
#1708
Reporting in post workout, just finished 15 minutes ago. I finally got around to downloading and reading Starting Strength on the first page. I have to say learning the in's and outs of all the proper techniques in such depth was an eye opener. (I highly recommend reading it if you haven't. Go to page 1) It improved my squat technique quite a bit. It was good before, but not perfect. Now I'm glad to say I'm busting out perfect squats. :D OH SHIT today was also the first time I attempted deadlifitng 100kg. And it went much better than I thought it would. I guess I was underestimating myself.

Deadlifts: Warmups, 60kg 10 reps x 2 sets
70kg, 5 reps x 1 set.
84kg, 5 reps x 1 set
100kg, 5 reps x 1 set.

I now realize that I've been starting off too light on deadlifts. So from now on ill start at about 80~85kg and work up to 100.

Next is bench.
43kg, 10 reps x 2 sets warm ups.
61kg, 5 reps x 1 set.
65 kg, 5 reps x 2 sets.
61 kg, to failure for the last set.

Bench isn't my strongest area so I'm going to work hard at it.

And lastly squats. Now doing them with proper form, with my hips dropping below my knees I've eased back on the weight until I get used to them.

43kg x 5 reps x 2 sets, warm ups.
60kg, 5 reps x 1 set.
65kg, 5 reps x 1 set.
70kg, 5 reps x 1 set.

I've gained a bit of weight too, up to 63kg from 61 so I'm making progress. I'd like to get up to 70~72kg range.





Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-18 08:54:12
February 18 2011 08:28 GMT
#1709
good stuff kenshin. keep on owning!

speaking of owning: I passed all my exams this winter! hells to the yeah. gonna be a great workout session tomorrow!
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
February 18 2011 11:10 GMT
#1710
On February 18 2011 11:15 frawress wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 18 2011 09:33 sJarl wrote:
Those are the shoes we were talking about. Mine run up to the ankle though...dunno if it has any effect.

If the gym says no chalk, you use it anyway but try to spill as little as possible.

Protip: find an underground gym with lots of loud music, ugly but huge men and plenty of iron and you'll improve drastically.


I did some research and people say not to keep the top part too tight because it limits ankle flexibility, i guess that only matters for certain lifts though.

Show nested quote +
On February 18 2011 10:35 phyre112 wrote:
Usually if you go barefoot and don't make a big deal out of it you'll be fine. Same with chalk, just dont spill/leave it all over the place so that people start to complain.


I haven't seen anyone using it and the weight room staff is pretty anal about having any liquid other then water in weight room so I can't imagine how batshit crazy they would go if I brought some chalk. Grip isn't an issue right now though so I don't need it.

Show nested quote +
On February 18 2011 10:35 phyre112 wrote:aced my first ochem test of the semester


here's a meme that you might be able to appreciate:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]



ROFL! Forever a ketone :'D
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
Necosarius
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Sweden4042 Posts
February 18 2011 11:15 GMT
#1711
I got my Powercleans right yesterday! I can feel my traps right now lol.
nataziel
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Australia1455 Posts
February 18 2011 12:13 GMT
#1712
Had a bad lifting day today

After conquering 70kg squats on monday 5x5 (with considerable effort) I went for 72.5 on wednesday and got 5/5/5/4/3. I was confident that today I'd be able to get it. My legs weren't too sore and I was really psyched up to get it done, I thought it was a shoe in. But when I warmed up and stretched a problem arose, my left quad is REALLY FUCKIN SORE. I have no idea how it got so sore, it hasn't been giving me any trouble up until I stretched it out and did a few warm up squats (20kgx5, 40kgx5, 60kgx3). I didn't want to hurt myself but I really wanted to do the squats, so I put 72.5 on the bar and went for my first set. Jesus christ, my quad was on fire! I made it through the set but the last 2 reps were so slow and energy sapping that I really should've stopped there. I went for the second set and only got 3 reps before I decided it was hurting too much to risk it. Went on with the rest of my workout but I'm supremely pissed off that I didn't conquer the squats. Gonna blast them on monday though, so at least that's something to look forward to.
u gotta sk8
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
February 18 2011 12:53 GMT
#1713
so it actually hurt? don't think that was DOMS. or maybe you experience it different from me, but whenever i train with sore muscles, it doesnt bother me at all during the exercise and goes away after the first couple of warm up sets.

you did the right thing by stopping. its never a good idea to work through pain.. maybe eshlow can shed some light on whats up with your leg!
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
February 18 2011 13:03 GMT
#1714
On February 18 2011 21:53 Zafrumi wrote:
so it actually hurt? don't think that was DOMS. or maybe you experience it different from me, but whenever i train with sore muscles, it doesnt bother me at all during the exercise and goes away after the first couple of warm up sets.

you did the right thing by stopping. its never a good idea to work through pain.. maybe eshlow can shed some light on whats up with your leg!



yeh. Not a good idea to keep on working a muscle that "burns".

Actually, when I was beginning in SS, I didn't have a clue about the DL form, when I started to pull the weight (I remember it being something light like 60 or something) My left trapezius went ON FIRE. Like I totally felt how that shit started to burn and it hurt like hell.

Good thing I stopped there, and went online to check out the videos of the SS program. Best thing I've ever done, and I recommend everyone to take a look at them (and read the book). .

<3 you all. Hoping for a good workout today! :D
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
nataziel
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Australia1455 Posts
February 18 2011 13:10 GMT
#1715
It wasn't like it all of a sudden started hurting whilst I was doing the squat (like it would if I'd tore or pulled it) but it definitely wasn't DOMS. Gonna rest it over the weekend and assess how it is on monday. Was so pumped to smash the squats though
u gotta sk8
ModernAgeShaman
Profile Joined January 2008
Norway484 Posts
February 18 2011 15:03 GMT
#1716
On February 18 2011 22:10 nataziel wrote:
It wasn't like it all of a sudden started hurting whilst I was doing the squat (like it would if I'd tore or pulled it) but it definitely wasn't DOMS. Gonna rest it over the weekend and assess how it is on monday. Was so pumped to smash the squats though


you lost the battle but not the war.
better to retreat to recover fully rather than risk injury and turn a one workout delay into many.
be patient and rock them on monday if your leg is ok
unknown.sam
Profile Joined May 2007
Philippines2701 Posts
February 18 2011 16:25 GMT
#1717
question on texas method.

say i start my PR days with triples, does this mean i have to keep on doing triples on PR days? i'm at a point where i feel like i'm going to stall really soon and i was thinking of just doing doubles instead.

i also read somewhere that you can make gains as an intermediate for much longer than as a novice albeit at a much slower pace.

am i not eating enough? or maybe my increments are too much? smallest increments are at 2 & 3.5 lbs. still no luck finding olympic plates
"Thanks for the kind words, but if SS is the most interesting book you've ever read, you must have just started reading a couple of weeks ago." - Mark Rippetoe
DoubleZee
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada556 Posts
February 18 2011 21:29 GMT
#1718
Woo fitness thread! Damn some of you guys are beasts! lol...I quit smoking and started running in november, started going to the gym in december. Went from 5'8 130 (10 pounds under my normal weight due to personal shit) to 145-150 now. Looking to get up to a solid 160 with a 12 minute 1.5 mile ASAP. I'm still working up my cardio base since 5-6 years of smoking pot killed my lungs. Those first few weeks of running were pathetic. I need to stop the binge drinking though. One night of drinking with a weak dinner and I end up losing 3-5 pounds. Fucking hyper metabolism. Luckily there is a sick burrito place by my new job so bulking up will be less of an issue than it was a few months ago when I would skip lunch a few times a week. :D
Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!
vicariouscheese
Profile Joined June 2010
United States589 Posts
February 18 2011 21:40 GMT
#1719
On February 19 2011 06:29 DoubleZee wrote:
Woo fitness thread! Damn some of you guys are beasts! lol...I quit smoking and started running in november, started going to the gym in december. Went from 5'8 130 (10 pounds under my normal weight due to personal shit) to 145-150 now. Looking to get up to a solid 160 with a 12 minute 1.5 mile ASAP. I'm still working up my cardio base since 5-6 years of smoking pot killed my lungs. Those first few weeks of running were pathetic. I need to stop the binge drinking though. One night of drinking with a weak dinner and I end up losing 3-5 pounds. Fucking hyper metabolism. Luckily there is a sick burrito place by my new job so bulking up will be less of an issue than it was a few months ago when I would skip lunch a few times a week. :D


Looks like we have another dirty bulker here
nataziel
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Australia1455 Posts
February 18 2011 22:32 GMT
#1720
On February 19 2011 00:03 Sinep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 18 2011 22:10 nataziel wrote:
It wasn't like it all of a sudden started hurting whilst I was doing the squat (like it would if I'd tore or pulled it) but it definitely wasn't DOMS. Gonna rest it over the weekend and assess how it is on monday. Was so pumped to smash the squats though


you lost the battle but not the war.
better to retreat to recover fully rather than risk injury and turn a one workout delay into many.
be patient and rock them on monday if your leg is ok


Yeah will do, I'll massage it and put some tiger balm and shit on it over the weekend. Maybe do some light stretching to get the blood flowing, but I'll try to rest it as much as possible.
u gotta sk8
Prev 1 84 85 86 87 88 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 219
ProTech131
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17716
Rain 1454
GuemChi 641
sSak 43
Bale 23
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm191
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1022
taco 462
minikerr37
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1021
Mew2King69
Other Games
summit1g7651
JimRising 637
WinterStarcraft579
C9.Mang0170
ViBE121
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1066
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream50
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Light_VIP 18
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo786
• Stunt277
Other Games
• Shiphtur744
• Scarra718
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
6h 13m
INu's Battles
7h 13m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
9h 13m
OSC
18h 28m
Replay Cast
19h 13m
OSC
1d 19h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.