NorCal StarCraft is excited to announce a free-entry, cash-prize ($250 minimum) SC2 LAN!
Gunrock Gaming (Computers will be free to use for the duration of this event)
UC Davis Memorial Union, Howard Way
Davis, CA 95616
Saturday, August 31
11:00 AM to 10:00 PM
Check-in: 10:45 AM to 11:00 AM
Gunrock Gaming is located in UCD's Memorial Union (view on Google Maps). If you drive, you can park at the nearby North Entry Parking Structure for free. Amtrak is also an option as the Davis station is only half a mile from the LAN center. If you have a UC Berkeley ID, you can travel from UCB to UCD using the Davis/Berkeley Shuttle.
You may be able to find a carpool in this thread or in our Discord server, especially if you’re coming from the Bay Area. If you're able to provide a ride, please let us know!
- A swiss-system Stage One will determine the seeds for an 8-player single elimination knockout Stage Two
- Winner of Stage Two will recieve $160
- Runner-up of Stage Two will recieve $50
- Third and fourth place of Stage Two will recieve $20 each
- All matches for both stages will be best-of-3
Stage One rules:
- Swiss-style system: 4 or 5 rounds where every player (except one if odd number of players) plays someone who has the same (or close to it) record in the tournament thus far. E.g. a 2-1 player plays another 2-1 player. Visualization here: https://www.thekievmajor.com/swiss-format/
- We will play five rounds if we have more than 16 players, otherwise we will play four
- We will use Challonge and will abide by its required variant of Swiss which uses slide pairing (1 vs 4, 2 vs 5, 3 vs 6, etc.), and, if the number of players in a round is odd, awards a bye to the lowest-seed player who has not already been given a bye
- When the tournament begins, you can visit www.norcalstarcraft.com to see the bracket. If you’re not sure who you should be playing in a round, ask Tiki or Nigel.
- One point will be awarded for wins and byes, a half-point will be awarded for ties
- Seeding for both stages will be determined by the following tie-breakers: number of points in Stage One, head-to-head match score of the two players, head-to-head map score, peak MMR, coin-toss
Stage Two rules:
The top eight players from Stage One will be seeded into a single elimination bracket as follows:
Map pool: Identical to the current 1v1 ladder map pool:
- Acropolis LE
- Disco Bloodbath LE
- Ephemeron LE
- Thunderbird LE
- Triton LE
- Winter's Gate LE
- World of Sleepers LE
Map selection procedure:
We will use WCS rules for map selection. The higher seed in each match must choose whether they are Player A or Player B. Then, each of the following steps must take place in order:
- Player A vetoes one map
- Player B vetoes one map
- Player B picks one map that will be played first
- Player A picks one map that will be played second
- Player A vetoes one more map
- Player B vetoes one more map
- Game 3 will be played on the one remaining map
$500 prize pool, to be distributed as follows:
-First Place: $300 + 1 CORSAIR Void Pro Surround headset
-Second Place: $100 + 1 CORSAIR Void Pro Surround headset
-Third and Fourth Place: $50 each
We will also be raffling off 1 CORSAIR M55 RGB Pro mouse. All attendees are eligible to enter!
NorCal StarCraft is a recently-established Discord-based group geared toward organizing local StarCraft activity. Some of its members are personally contributing to the prize pool for this event in the hopes that it'll create an exciting and competitive environment for local SC2 fans to enjoy. There is no lack of talent and passion in the area, so we're very much looking forward to this!
You are welcome to bring any keyboard, mouse, or headset that does not require installing drivers. Only a very small number of headsets are available for rent, so please bring your own.
Links and Contact
Administrator email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Can give a ride:
taylorqt (Santa Cruz/San Jose: email@example.com)