• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:48
CEST 10:48
KST 17:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11768 users

[WCS EU] Challenger Day 1 Season 1 2014 - Page 55

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Tournaments
Post a Reply
Prev 1 53 54 55
Xoronius
Profile Joined July 2011
Germany6362 Posts
January 21 2014 22:16 GMT
#1081
On January 22 2014 07:11 Darkhoarse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2014 07:10 Xoronius wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:05 Darkhoarse wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:01 ssxsilver wrote:
Oh good. More Naniwa vs Scarlett discussions.

I'm not actually arguing I'm just having a bit of fun

Since were already on the way to kill time until WCS AM, have you accepted the undeniable superiority of Round Robin by now?

Round Robin is the Devil's work.

He must have crafted it to seduce people to his side then, since it is such a fine work.
Volband
Profile Joined March 2011
Hungary6034 Posts
January 21 2014 22:16 GMT
#1082
On January 22 2014 07:05 MavivaM wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2014 06:57 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:52 Zealously wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:50 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:49 Swiipii wrote:
Stakiman is playing really badly but maybe it's just the stress?

What stress? He has absolutely no weight on his shoulders, no one expects him to win.


No I'm sure he doesn't feel the pressure of either advancing to Premier or losing and having to go through a grueling set of qualifiers again next season, nor any pressure over the fact that he's playing (arguably) one of the biggest matches of his life against Europe's best player.

Nah, why would he feel any stress?

So you say when a little team from the 6th division plays a 1st divison team in a football cup, the little team has a lot of stress on them, because if they lose, they'll have to wait a whole year to compete again, and hell, it's a 1st divison star league!

No, not at all. They are happy to play against said team, and utterly proud of themselves to make it this far (because a 6th division team needs to beat higher ones to meet a 1st division one), and if they lose it's expected, if they manage to get a draw (that's a close series if you translate my analogy to SC language) then their city will make a statue for the team, and if they win, well... you better avoid said city for the next few days.

No pressure, and he failed, but he was already a winner getting through his bracket, so he shouldn't be ashamed or anything, but me, the viewer has the right to bash on him, because these games were awful to watch, and I have no idea why it had to be a BO3.

No, on several levels.

When a little team plays a professional squad they would give their absolute best and be on top level tension since it's their chance to show to someone more competent their ability.
Mediocre people would get content and say "oh well, I made it that far now I can relax".
Competitive people always want to do their best, and therefore feel tension.

Also: money on the line, another season of Wcs on the line, viewers like you who want to criticize everything since they are behind a keyboard and maybe the fact that Stakiman probably wants to be a professional, so he cannot be content with this result.
Unlike him you have no chance to qualify to Wcs afaik, so your "right to bash" looks conceited.

Since when does giving your best equals being under heavy pressure? Sure, make me race with an olympic runner, and I'll give my best for sure, but I won't faint from the stress or anything. It's not about giving up, it's about playing without any expectations from the public, and that's why you are relieved from the immense pressure.

And yes, I have the right to bash, because I did not expect a "Naniwa vs random gold guy"-play. I don't know why he played that way, but it made for a cringeworthy series. Whether my criticism is for Stakiman or Blizzard is up to debate, but someone messed up if such a series could happen.
MavivaM
Profile Joined November 2011
1535 Posts
January 21 2014 22:19 GMT
#1083
On January 22 2014 07:16 Volband wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2014 07:05 MavivaM wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:57 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:52 Zealously wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:50 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:49 Swiipii wrote:
Stakiman is playing really badly but maybe it's just the stress?

What stress? He has absolutely no weight on his shoulders, no one expects him to win.


No I'm sure he doesn't feel the pressure of either advancing to Premier or losing and having to go through a grueling set of qualifiers again next season, nor any pressure over the fact that he's playing (arguably) one of the biggest matches of his life against Europe's best player.

Nah, why would he feel any stress?

So you say when a little team from the 6th division plays a 1st divison team in a football cup, the little team has a lot of stress on them, because if they lose, they'll have to wait a whole year to compete again, and hell, it's a 1st divison star league!

No, not at all. They are happy to play against said team, and utterly proud of themselves to make it this far (because a 6th division team needs to beat higher ones to meet a 1st division one), and if they lose it's expected, if they manage to get a draw (that's a close series if you translate my analogy to SC language) then their city will make a statue for the team, and if they win, well... you better avoid said city for the next few days.

No pressure, and he failed, but he was already a winner getting through his bracket, so he shouldn't be ashamed or anything, but me, the viewer has the right to bash on him, because these games were awful to watch, and I have no idea why it had to be a BO3.

No, on several levels.

When a little team plays a professional squad they would give their absolute best and be on top level tension since it's their chance to show to someone more competent their ability.
Mediocre people would get content and say "oh well, I made it that far now I can relax".
Competitive people always want to do their best, and therefore feel tension.

Also: money on the line, another season of Wcs on the line, viewers like you who want to criticize everything since they are behind a keyboard and maybe the fact that Stakiman probably wants to be a professional, so he cannot be content with this result.
Unlike him you have no chance to qualify to Wcs afaik, so your "right to bash" looks conceited.

Since when does giving your best equals being under heavy pressure? Sure, make me race with an olympic runner, and I'll give my best for sure, but I won't faint from the stress or anything. It's not about giving up, it's about playing without any expectations from the public, and that's why you are relieved from the immense pressure.

And yes, I have the right to bash, because I did not expect a "Naniwa vs random gold guy"-play. I don't know why he played that way, but it made for a cringeworthy series. Whether my criticism is for Stakiman or Blizzard is up to debate, but someone messed up if such a series could happen.

Because you don't care about running apparently.
Or have never been in a competition that you cared about.
Your Opinion has been counted. Only 3 more Opinions needed for a reddit thread.
Volband
Profile Joined March 2011
Hungary6034 Posts
January 21 2014 22:20 GMT
#1084
On January 22 2014 07:10 Darkhoarse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2014 07:07 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:59 stuchiu wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:57 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:52 Zealously wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:50 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:49 Swiipii wrote:
Stakiman is playing really badly but maybe it's just the stress?

What stress? He has absolutely no weight on his shoulders, no one expects him to win.


No I'm sure he doesn't feel the pressure of either advancing to Premier or losing and having to go through a grueling set of qualifiers again next season, nor any pressure over the fact that he's playing (arguably) one of the biggest matches of his life against Europe's best player.

Nah, why would he feel any stress?

So you say when a little team from the 6th division plays a 1st divison team in a football cup, the little team has a lot of stress on them, because if they lose, they'll have to wait a whole year to compete again, and hell, it's a 1st divison star league!

No, not at all. They are happy to play against said team, and utterly proud of themselves to make it this far (because a 6th division team needs to beat higher ones to meet a 1st division one), and if they lose it's expected, if they manage to get a draw (that's a close series if you translate my analogy to SC language) then their city will make a statue for the team, and if they win, well... you better avoid said city for the next few days.

No pressure, and he failed, but he was already a winner getting through his bracket, so he shouldn't be ashamed or anything, but me, the viewer has the right to bash on him, because these games were awful to watch, and I have no idea why it had to be a BO3.


This isn't football. As Wolf often says, a loss here could be the same as the end of his career. Just look at Titan. He himself said that if he hadn't made it into premier, he would have stoped being a professional player and just turned it into a hobby on the side while studying.

But he's not a professional player (yet?), and if he gives up on his goal (assuming he wants be a professional gamer) just because he lost to possibly the best foreigner in the world, then he wasn't serious about it in the first place. Sure, he wanted to win, but with a common sense, he had to know that it's not the time he's supposed to break through. If he wins that's an enormous boost, and if he doesn't... good job making it this far, next time you'll be more lucky with the draws.

And I know everyone has some kind of pressure on them, but didn't he have pressure playing the qualifiers? Don't compare this pressure, with the pressure players feel in an ace match, or final, or in a game where they play versus their rivals, or when established pro players are trying to hang on the last straw. Those are the kind of pressures, that can break you hard, not this.

I would argue that the pressure of having a career is worse. Think of it this way. If Naniwa loses the IEM finals to Life, what is the difference? Sure he makes less money, sure he doesn't get the title. That's a lot of pressure. But he still has his career and popularity to fall back on. He'll be invited to more tournaments, have the opportunity to make more money,and still have tons of fans.

Stakiman on the other hand has nothing if he loses to Naniwa but a $600 dollar paycheck and a road ahead of him through another difficult qualifier filled with good Europeans and Koreans alike. He may never play another televised game of Starcraft because of this loss, and that sucks. So yeah, pressure.



On January 22 2014 07:11 Zealously wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2014 07:07 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:59 stuchiu wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:57 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:52 Zealously wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:50 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:49 Swiipii wrote:
Stakiman is playing really badly but maybe it's just the stress?

What stress? He has absolutely no weight on his shoulders, no one expects him to win.


No I'm sure he doesn't feel the pressure of either advancing to Premier or losing and having to go through a grueling set of qualifiers again next season, nor any pressure over the fact that he's playing (arguably) one of the biggest matches of his life against Europe's best player.

Nah, why would he feel any stress?

So you say when a little team from the 6th division plays a 1st divison team in a football cup, the little team has a lot of stress on them, because if they lose, they'll have to wait a whole year to compete again, and hell, it's a 1st divison star league!

No, not at all. They are happy to play against said team, and utterly proud of themselves to make it this far (because a 6th division team needs to beat higher ones to meet a 1st division one), and if they lose it's expected, if they manage to get a draw (that's a close series if you translate my analogy to SC language) then their city will make a statue for the team, and if they win, well... you better avoid said city for the next few days.

No pressure, and he failed, but he was already a winner getting through his bracket, so he shouldn't be ashamed or anything, but me, the viewer has the right to bash on him, because these games were awful to watch, and I have no idea why it had to be a BO3.


This isn't football. As Wolf often says, a loss here could be the same as the end of his career. Just look at Titan. He himself said that if he hadn't made it into premier, he would have stoped being a professional player and just turned it into a hobby on the side while studying.

But he's not a professional player (yet?), and if he gives up on his goal (assuming he wants be a professional gamer) just because he lost to possibly the best foreigner in the world, then he wasn't serious about it in the first place. Sure, he wanted to win, but with a common sense, he had to know that it's not the time he's supposed to break through. If he wins that's an enormous boost, and if he doesn't... good job making it this far, next time you'll be more lucky with the draws.

And I know everyone has some kind of pressure on them, but didn't he have pressure playing the qualifiers? Don't compare this pressure, with the pressure players feel in an ace match, or final, or in a game where they play versus their rivals, or when established pro players are trying to hang on the last straw. Those are the kind of pressures, that can break you hard, not this.


Please refer to my previous post:

+ Show Spoiler +
On January 22 2014 07:03 Zealously wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2014 06:57 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:52 Zealously wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:50 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:49 Swiipii wrote:
Stakiman is playing really badly but maybe it's just the stress?

What stress? He has absolutely no weight on his shoulders, no one expects him to win.


No I'm sure he doesn't feel the pressure of either advancing to Premier or losing and having to go through a grueling set of qualifiers again next season, nor any pressure over the fact that he's playing (arguably) one of the biggest matches of his life against Europe's best player.

Nah, why would he feel any stress?

So you say when a little team from the 6th division plays a 1st divison team in a football cup, the little team has a lot of stress on them, because if they lose, they'll have to wait a whole year to compete again, and hell, it's a 1st divison star league!

No, not at all. They are happy to play against said team, and utterly proud of themselves to make it this far (because a 6th division team needs to beat higher ones to meet a 1st division one), and if they lose it's expected, if they manage to get a draw (that's a close series if you translate my analogy to SC language) then their city will make a statue for the team, and if they win, well... you better avoid said city for the next few days.

No pressure, and he failed, but he was already a winner getting through his bracket, so he shouldn't be ashamed or anything, but me, the viewer has the right to bash on him, because these games were awful to watch, and I have no idea why it had to be a BO3.


Do you compete at any significant level in anything? I read a whole lot of this "there's no pressure so why would he be nervous?"-crap and I think it's bullshit every time. Of course there's pressure. People think that because winning is unlikely that suddenly erases the nerves of competing in front of (tens of thousands of) people. In general, it doesn't. If someone put me in a race with an olympic medalist, you bet your life savings I'd be freaking terrified. I don't want to be embarrassed. Hell, I'm a competitor - I don't want to lose. Especially not when tons of people are watching.

If you think Stakiman is happy to have played and lost against Naniwa because it was a "great oppurtunity" (which I suppose it was), I think you're very mistaken. He did not only just lose his chance at making Premier, he did it in disappointing and (to some) humiliating fashion. That doesn't feel good. At all.

Even putting all this aside, there is the very real fact that sustaining oneself through Starcraft II is fucking hard. Stakiman needed this win, probably more than Naniwa.


Only losers have the "I did my best"-attitude. People who really want to win that just doing your best isn't enough, and losing feels like shit.

Replying to both. So giving your best is loser mentality, but assuming you'll never ever ever have the chance to break into the pro scene if you fail here vs the best possible opponent you could've been paired with is fine?

And dude, assuming you are right, this guy broke down at 0-0? Like what the hell, if he was in a 2-0 lead I'd say you are right, but it wasn't the case.
Darkhorse
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States23455 Posts
January 21 2014 22:22 GMT
#1085
On January 22 2014 07:16 Xoronius wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2014 07:11 Darkhoarse wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:10 Xoronius wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:05 Darkhoarse wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:01 ssxsilver wrote:
Oh good. More Naniwa vs Scarlett discussions.

I'm not actually arguing I'm just having a bit of fun

Since were already on the way to kill time until WCS AM, have you accepted the undeniable superiority of Round Robin by now?

Round Robin is the Devil's work.

He must have crafted it to seduce people to his side then, since it is such a fine work.

I refused to be ensnared by this fiendish group design!
WriterRecently Necro'd (?)
Darkhorse
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States23455 Posts
January 21 2014 22:23 GMT
#1086
On January 22 2014 07:20 Volband wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2014 07:10 Darkhoarse wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:07 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:59 stuchiu wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:57 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:52 Zealously wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:50 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:49 Swiipii wrote:
Stakiman is playing really badly but maybe it's just the stress?

What stress? He has absolutely no weight on his shoulders, no one expects him to win.


No I'm sure he doesn't feel the pressure of either advancing to Premier or losing and having to go through a grueling set of qualifiers again next season, nor any pressure over the fact that he's playing (arguably) one of the biggest matches of his life against Europe's best player.

Nah, why would he feel any stress?

So you say when a little team from the 6th division plays a 1st divison team in a football cup, the little team has a lot of stress on them, because if they lose, they'll have to wait a whole year to compete again, and hell, it's a 1st divison star league!

No, not at all. They are happy to play against said team, and utterly proud of themselves to make it this far (because a 6th division team needs to beat higher ones to meet a 1st division one), and if they lose it's expected, if they manage to get a draw (that's a close series if you translate my analogy to SC language) then their city will make a statue for the team, and if they win, well... you better avoid said city for the next few days.

No pressure, and he failed, but he was already a winner getting through his bracket, so he shouldn't be ashamed or anything, but me, the viewer has the right to bash on him, because these games were awful to watch, and I have no idea why it had to be a BO3.


This isn't football. As Wolf often says, a loss here could be the same as the end of his career. Just look at Titan. He himself said that if he hadn't made it into premier, he would have stoped being a professional player and just turned it into a hobby on the side while studying.

But he's not a professional player (yet?), and if he gives up on his goal (assuming he wants be a professional gamer) just because he lost to possibly the best foreigner in the world, then he wasn't serious about it in the first place. Sure, he wanted to win, but with a common sense, he had to know that it's not the time he's supposed to break through. If he wins that's an enormous boost, and if he doesn't... good job making it this far, next time you'll be more lucky with the draws.

And I know everyone has some kind of pressure on them, but didn't he have pressure playing the qualifiers? Don't compare this pressure, with the pressure players feel in an ace match, or final, or in a game where they play versus their rivals, or when established pro players are trying to hang on the last straw. Those are the kind of pressures, that can break you hard, not this.

I would argue that the pressure of having a career is worse. Think of it this way. If Naniwa loses the IEM finals to Life, what is the difference? Sure he makes less money, sure he doesn't get the title. That's a lot of pressure. But he still has his career and popularity to fall back on. He'll be invited to more tournaments, have the opportunity to make more money,and still have tons of fans.

Stakiman on the other hand has nothing if he loses to Naniwa but a $600 dollar paycheck and a road ahead of him through another difficult qualifier filled with good Europeans and Koreans alike. He may never play another televised game of Starcraft because of this loss, and that sucks. So yeah, pressure.



Show nested quote +
On January 22 2014 07:11 Zealously wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:07 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:59 stuchiu wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:57 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:52 Zealously wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:50 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:49 Swiipii wrote:
Stakiman is playing really badly but maybe it's just the stress?

What stress? He has absolutely no weight on his shoulders, no one expects him to win.


No I'm sure he doesn't feel the pressure of either advancing to Premier or losing and having to go through a grueling set of qualifiers again next season, nor any pressure over the fact that he's playing (arguably) one of the biggest matches of his life against Europe's best player.

Nah, why would he feel any stress?

So you say when a little team from the 6th division plays a 1st divison team in a football cup, the little team has a lot of stress on them, because if they lose, they'll have to wait a whole year to compete again, and hell, it's a 1st divison star league!

No, not at all. They are happy to play against said team, and utterly proud of themselves to make it this far (because a 6th division team needs to beat higher ones to meet a 1st division one), and if they lose it's expected, if they manage to get a draw (that's a close series if you translate my analogy to SC language) then their city will make a statue for the team, and if they win, well... you better avoid said city for the next few days.

No pressure, and he failed, but he was already a winner getting through his bracket, so he shouldn't be ashamed or anything, but me, the viewer has the right to bash on him, because these games were awful to watch, and I have no idea why it had to be a BO3.


This isn't football. As Wolf often says, a loss here could be the same as the end of his career. Just look at Titan. He himself said that if he hadn't made it into premier, he would have stoped being a professional player and just turned it into a hobby on the side while studying.

But he's not a professional player (yet?), and if he gives up on his goal (assuming he wants be a professional gamer) just because he lost to possibly the best foreigner in the world, then he wasn't serious about it in the first place. Sure, he wanted to win, but with a common sense, he had to know that it's not the time he's supposed to break through. If he wins that's an enormous boost, and if he doesn't... good job making it this far, next time you'll be more lucky with the draws.

And I know everyone has some kind of pressure on them, but didn't he have pressure playing the qualifiers? Don't compare this pressure, with the pressure players feel in an ace match, or final, or in a game where they play versus their rivals, or when established pro players are trying to hang on the last straw. Those are the kind of pressures, that can break you hard, not this.


Please refer to my previous post:

+ Show Spoiler +
On January 22 2014 07:03 Zealously wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2014 06:57 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:52 Zealously wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:50 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:49 Swiipii wrote:
Stakiman is playing really badly but maybe it's just the stress?

What stress? He has absolutely no weight on his shoulders, no one expects him to win.


No I'm sure he doesn't feel the pressure of either advancing to Premier or losing and having to go through a grueling set of qualifiers again next season, nor any pressure over the fact that he's playing (arguably) one of the biggest matches of his life against Europe's best player.

Nah, why would he feel any stress?

So you say when a little team from the 6th division plays a 1st divison team in a football cup, the little team has a lot of stress on them, because if they lose, they'll have to wait a whole year to compete again, and hell, it's a 1st divison star league!

No, not at all. They are happy to play against said team, and utterly proud of themselves to make it this far (because a 6th division team needs to beat higher ones to meet a 1st division one), and if they lose it's expected, if they manage to get a draw (that's a close series if you translate my analogy to SC language) then their city will make a statue for the team, and if they win, well... you better avoid said city for the next few days.

No pressure, and he failed, but he was already a winner getting through his bracket, so he shouldn't be ashamed or anything, but me, the viewer has the right to bash on him, because these games were awful to watch, and I have no idea why it had to be a BO3.


Do you compete at any significant level in anything? I read a whole lot of this "there's no pressure so why would he be nervous?"-crap and I think it's bullshit every time. Of course there's pressure. People think that because winning is unlikely that suddenly erases the nerves of competing in front of (tens of thousands of) people. In general, it doesn't. If someone put me in a race with an olympic medalist, you bet your life savings I'd be freaking terrified. I don't want to be embarrassed. Hell, I'm a competitor - I don't want to lose. Especially not when tons of people are watching.

If you think Stakiman is happy to have played and lost against Naniwa because it was a "great oppurtunity" (which I suppose it was), I think you're very mistaken. He did not only just lose his chance at making Premier, he did it in disappointing and (to some) humiliating fashion. That doesn't feel good. At all.

Even putting all this aside, there is the very real fact that sustaining oneself through Starcraft II is fucking hard. Stakiman needed this win, probably more than Naniwa.


Only losers have the "I did my best"-attitude. People who really want to win that just doing your best isn't enough, and losing feels like shit.

Replying to both. So giving your best is loser mentality, but assuming you'll never ever ever have the chance to break into the pro scene if you fail here vs the best possible opponent you could've been paired with is fine?

And dude, assuming you are right, this guy broke down at 0-0? Like what the hell, if he was in a 2-0 lead I'd say you are right, but it wasn't the case.

I'm not saying he is going to give up on his pro career or anything, but what are the odds he makes it through the qualifiers again. Not great all things considered. So this was his best opportunity to make something of a pro gaming career. He may get another one, but losing this one must hurt.
WriterRecently Necro'd (?)
Volband
Profile Joined March 2011
Hungary6034 Posts
January 21 2014 22:24 GMT
#1087
On January 22 2014 07:19 MavivaM wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2014 07:16 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:05 MavivaM wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:57 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:52 Zealously wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:50 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:49 Swiipii wrote:
Stakiman is playing really badly but maybe it's just the stress?

What stress? He has absolutely no weight on his shoulders, no one expects him to win.


No I'm sure he doesn't feel the pressure of either advancing to Premier or losing and having to go through a grueling set of qualifiers again next season, nor any pressure over the fact that he's playing (arguably) one of the biggest matches of his life against Europe's best player.

Nah, why would he feel any stress?

So you say when a little team from the 6th division plays a 1st divison team in a football cup, the little team has a lot of stress on them, because if they lose, they'll have to wait a whole year to compete again, and hell, it's a 1st divison star league!

No, not at all. They are happy to play against said team, and utterly proud of themselves to make it this far (because a 6th division team needs to beat higher ones to meet a 1st division one), and if they lose it's expected, if they manage to get a draw (that's a close series if you translate my analogy to SC language) then their city will make a statue for the team, and if they win, well... you better avoid said city for the next few days.

No pressure, and he failed, but he was already a winner getting through his bracket, so he shouldn't be ashamed or anything, but me, the viewer has the right to bash on him, because these games were awful to watch, and I have no idea why it had to be a BO3.

No, on several levels.

When a little team plays a professional squad they would give their absolute best and be on top level tension since it's their chance to show to someone more competent their ability.
Mediocre people would get content and say "oh well, I made it that far now I can relax".
Competitive people always want to do their best, and therefore feel tension.

Also: money on the line, another season of Wcs on the line, viewers like you who want to criticize everything since they are behind a keyboard and maybe the fact that Stakiman probably wants to be a professional, so he cannot be content with this result.
Unlike him you have no chance to qualify to Wcs afaik, so your "right to bash" looks conceited.

Since when does giving your best equals being under heavy pressure? Sure, make me race with an olympic runner, and I'll give my best for sure, but I won't faint from the stress or anything. It's not about giving up, it's about playing without any expectations from the public, and that's why you are relieved from the immense pressure.

And yes, I have the right to bash, because I did not expect a "Naniwa vs random gold guy"-play. I don't know why he played that way, but it made for a cringeworthy series. Whether my criticism is for Stakiman or Blizzard is up to debate, but someone messed up if such a series could happen.

Because you don't care about running apparently.
Or have never been in a competition that you cared about.

The competitions I've been in were for my own league. In training sessions I was paired against practice partners from higher weight-category, and while it was much more frustrating to play against them, I didn't feel like "omg, if I can't beat him i'm a no one!". When I was playing against guys from my own league I was sick as hell.

Really now, why would I mess up when I fight vs a guy with 25 kgs on me? What part of my brain should make me feel pressured into messing up, and making a technical error? I really don't know.
Zealously
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
East Gorteau22261 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-21 22:28:22
January 21 2014 22:26 GMT
#1088
No, giving your best is bare minimum. When you're in the tip top in any (e-)sport in any region, you start to demand more of yourself than just "doing your best". I don't give shit about doing my best at the Nationals, I want to win. If I end up fourth because I wasn't good enough, do you think I'm satisfied? No, I'm not - it doesn't work like that. Stakiman probably isn't (and shouldn't be) happy with how he performed either, valuable experience or not.

As for the idea that you should assume anything - you don't have to assume that you're toast if you don't make it, but you're certainly going to entertain the thought at one time or another. In a scene where you have to win a lot to sustain yourself if you want to play full time (usually a requirement for becoming an international top player), it's only natural that the do-or-die situation will get to you. He's facing the qualifiers again next season - better players than him have failed to make it through those. Knowing that you'll have to do that again if you lose is a very real concern. Even the elite Korean players tell us how much they fear the GSL qualifiers.
AdministratorBreak the chains
Xoronius
Profile Joined July 2011
Germany6362 Posts
January 21 2014 22:27 GMT
#1089
On January 22 2014 07:22 Darkhoarse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2014 07:16 Xoronius wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:11 Darkhoarse wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:10 Xoronius wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:05 Darkhoarse wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:01 ssxsilver wrote:
Oh good. More Naniwa vs Scarlett discussions.

I'm not actually arguing I'm just having a bit of fun

Since were already on the way to kill time until WCS AM, have you accepted the undeniable superiority of Round Robin by now?

Round Robin is the Devil's work.

He must have crafted it to seduce people to his side then, since it is such a fine work.

I refused to be ensnared by this fiendish group design!

I refuse to answer to arguments, in which I have to google translate more than one word!

Seriously though, I´m going to take at least a nap now, have fun in the NA thread, maybe I´ll come by again in a few hours.
Volband
Profile Joined March 2011
Hungary6034 Posts
January 21 2014 22:31 GMT
#1090
On January 22 2014 07:23 Darkhoarse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2014 07:20 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:10 Darkhoarse wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:07 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:59 stuchiu wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:57 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:52 Zealously wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:50 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:49 Swiipii wrote:
Stakiman is playing really badly but maybe it's just the stress?

What stress? He has absolutely no weight on his shoulders, no one expects him to win.


No I'm sure he doesn't feel the pressure of either advancing to Premier or losing and having to go through a grueling set of qualifiers again next season, nor any pressure over the fact that he's playing (arguably) one of the biggest matches of his life against Europe's best player.

Nah, why would he feel any stress?

So you say when a little team from the 6th division plays a 1st divison team in a football cup, the little team has a lot of stress on them, because if they lose, they'll have to wait a whole year to compete again, and hell, it's a 1st divison star league!

No, not at all. They are happy to play against said team, and utterly proud of themselves to make it this far (because a 6th division team needs to beat higher ones to meet a 1st division one), and if they lose it's expected, if they manage to get a draw (that's a close series if you translate my analogy to SC language) then their city will make a statue for the team, and if they win, well... you better avoid said city for the next few days.

No pressure, and he failed, but he was already a winner getting through his bracket, so he shouldn't be ashamed or anything, but me, the viewer has the right to bash on him, because these games were awful to watch, and I have no idea why it had to be a BO3.


This isn't football. As Wolf often says, a loss here could be the same as the end of his career. Just look at Titan. He himself said that if he hadn't made it into premier, he would have stoped being a professional player and just turned it into a hobby on the side while studying.

But he's not a professional player (yet?), and if he gives up on his goal (assuming he wants be a professional gamer) just because he lost to possibly the best foreigner in the world, then he wasn't serious about it in the first place. Sure, he wanted to win, but with a common sense, he had to know that it's not the time he's supposed to break through. If he wins that's an enormous boost, and if he doesn't... good job making it this far, next time you'll be more lucky with the draws.

And I know everyone has some kind of pressure on them, but didn't he have pressure playing the qualifiers? Don't compare this pressure, with the pressure players feel in an ace match, or final, or in a game where they play versus their rivals, or when established pro players are trying to hang on the last straw. Those are the kind of pressures, that can break you hard, not this.

I would argue that the pressure of having a career is worse. Think of it this way. If Naniwa loses the IEM finals to Life, what is the difference? Sure he makes less money, sure he doesn't get the title. That's a lot of pressure. But he still has his career and popularity to fall back on. He'll be invited to more tournaments, have the opportunity to make more money,and still have tons of fans.

Stakiman on the other hand has nothing if he loses to Naniwa but a $600 dollar paycheck and a road ahead of him through another difficult qualifier filled with good Europeans and Koreans alike. He may never play another televised game of Starcraft because of this loss, and that sucks. So yeah, pressure.



On January 22 2014 07:11 Zealously wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:07 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:59 stuchiu wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:57 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:52 Zealously wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:50 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:49 Swiipii wrote:
Stakiman is playing really badly but maybe it's just the stress?

What stress? He has absolutely no weight on his shoulders, no one expects him to win.


No I'm sure he doesn't feel the pressure of either advancing to Premier or losing and having to go through a grueling set of qualifiers again next season, nor any pressure over the fact that he's playing (arguably) one of the biggest matches of his life against Europe's best player.

Nah, why would he feel any stress?

So you say when a little team from the 6th division plays a 1st divison team in a football cup, the little team has a lot of stress on them, because if they lose, they'll have to wait a whole year to compete again, and hell, it's a 1st divison star league!

No, not at all. They are happy to play against said team, and utterly proud of themselves to make it this far (because a 6th division team needs to beat higher ones to meet a 1st division one), and if they lose it's expected, if they manage to get a draw (that's a close series if you translate my analogy to SC language) then their city will make a statue for the team, and if they win, well... you better avoid said city for the next few days.

No pressure, and he failed, but he was already a winner getting through his bracket, so he shouldn't be ashamed or anything, but me, the viewer has the right to bash on him, because these games were awful to watch, and I have no idea why it had to be a BO3.


This isn't football. As Wolf often says, a loss here could be the same as the end of his career. Just look at Titan. He himself said that if he hadn't made it into premier, he would have stoped being a professional player and just turned it into a hobby on the side while studying.

But he's not a professional player (yet?), and if he gives up on his goal (assuming he wants be a professional gamer) just because he lost to possibly the best foreigner in the world, then he wasn't serious about it in the first place. Sure, he wanted to win, but with a common sense, he had to know that it's not the time he's supposed to break through. If he wins that's an enormous boost, and if he doesn't... good job making it this far, next time you'll be more lucky with the draws.

And I know everyone has some kind of pressure on them, but didn't he have pressure playing the qualifiers? Don't compare this pressure, with the pressure players feel in an ace match, or final, or in a game where they play versus their rivals, or when established pro players are trying to hang on the last straw. Those are the kind of pressures, that can break you hard, not this.


Please refer to my previous post:

+ Show Spoiler +
On January 22 2014 07:03 Zealously wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2014 06:57 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:52 Zealously wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:50 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:49 Swiipii wrote:
Stakiman is playing really badly but maybe it's just the stress?

What stress? He has absolutely no weight on his shoulders, no one expects him to win.


No I'm sure he doesn't feel the pressure of either advancing to Premier or losing and having to go through a grueling set of qualifiers again next season, nor any pressure over the fact that he's playing (arguably) one of the biggest matches of his life against Europe's best player.

Nah, why would he feel any stress?

So you say when a little team from the 6th division plays a 1st divison team in a football cup, the little team has a lot of stress on them, because if they lose, they'll have to wait a whole year to compete again, and hell, it's a 1st divison star league!

No, not at all. They are happy to play against said team, and utterly proud of themselves to make it this far (because a 6th division team needs to beat higher ones to meet a 1st division one), and if they lose it's expected, if they manage to get a draw (that's a close series if you translate my analogy to SC language) then their city will make a statue for the team, and if they win, well... you better avoid said city for the next few days.

No pressure, and he failed, but he was already a winner getting through his bracket, so he shouldn't be ashamed or anything, but me, the viewer has the right to bash on him, because these games were awful to watch, and I have no idea why it had to be a BO3.


Do you compete at any significant level in anything? I read a whole lot of this "there's no pressure so why would he be nervous?"-crap and I think it's bullshit every time. Of course there's pressure. People think that because winning is unlikely that suddenly erases the nerves of competing in front of (tens of thousands of) people. In general, it doesn't. If someone put me in a race with an olympic medalist, you bet your life savings I'd be freaking terrified. I don't want to be embarrassed. Hell, I'm a competitor - I don't want to lose. Especially not when tons of people are watching.

If you think Stakiman is happy to have played and lost against Naniwa because it was a "great oppurtunity" (which I suppose it was), I think you're very mistaken. He did not only just lose his chance at making Premier, he did it in disappointing and (to some) humiliating fashion. That doesn't feel good. At all.

Even putting all this aside, there is the very real fact that sustaining oneself through Starcraft II is fucking hard. Stakiman needed this win, probably more than Naniwa.


Only losers have the "I did my best"-attitude. People who really want to win that just doing your best isn't enough, and losing feels like shit.

Replying to both. So giving your best is loser mentality, but assuming you'll never ever ever have the chance to break into the pro scene if you fail here vs the best possible opponent you could've been paired with is fine?

And dude, assuming you are right, this guy broke down at 0-0? Like what the hell, if he was in a 2-0 lead I'd say you are right, but it wasn't the case.

I'm not saying he is going to give up on his pro career or anything, but what are the odds he makes it through the qualifiers again. Not great all things considered. So this was his best opportunity to make something of a pro gaming career. He may get another one, but losing this one must hurt.

There are other tournaments, starting from the small prized weeklys to WCS. If he's good, he's bound to show results, right? Or is there something in WCS, where if you qualify you get to spend 10 Attribute points, which will suddenly make you a better player?
Darkhorse
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States23455 Posts
January 21 2014 22:33 GMT
#1091
On January 22 2014 07:24 Volband wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2014 07:19 MavivaM wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:16 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:05 MavivaM wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:57 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:52 Zealously wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:50 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:49 Swiipii wrote:
Stakiman is playing really badly but maybe it's just the stress?

What stress? He has absolutely no weight on his shoulders, no one expects him to win.


No I'm sure he doesn't feel the pressure of either advancing to Premier or losing and having to go through a grueling set of qualifiers again next season, nor any pressure over the fact that he's playing (arguably) one of the biggest matches of his life against Europe's best player.

Nah, why would he feel any stress?

So you say when a little team from the 6th division plays a 1st divison team in a football cup, the little team has a lot of stress on them, because if they lose, they'll have to wait a whole year to compete again, and hell, it's a 1st divison star league!

No, not at all. They are happy to play against said team, and utterly proud of themselves to make it this far (because a 6th division team needs to beat higher ones to meet a 1st division one), and if they lose it's expected, if they manage to get a draw (that's a close series if you translate my analogy to SC language) then their city will make a statue for the team, and if they win, well... you better avoid said city for the next few days.

No pressure, and he failed, but he was already a winner getting through his bracket, so he shouldn't be ashamed or anything, but me, the viewer has the right to bash on him, because these games were awful to watch, and I have no idea why it had to be a BO3.

No, on several levels.

When a little team plays a professional squad they would give their absolute best and be on top level tension since it's their chance to show to someone more competent their ability.
Mediocre people would get content and say "oh well, I made it that far now I can relax".
Competitive people always want to do their best, and therefore feel tension.

Also: money on the line, another season of Wcs on the line, viewers like you who want to criticize everything since they are behind a keyboard and maybe the fact that Stakiman probably wants to be a professional, so he cannot be content with this result.
Unlike him you have no chance to qualify to Wcs afaik, so your "right to bash" looks conceited.

Since when does giving your best equals being under heavy pressure? Sure, make me race with an olympic runner, and I'll give my best for sure, but I won't faint from the stress or anything. It's not about giving up, it's about playing without any expectations from the public, and that's why you are relieved from the immense pressure.

And yes, I have the right to bash, because I did not expect a "Naniwa vs random gold guy"-play. I don't know why he played that way, but it made for a cringeworthy series. Whether my criticism is for Stakiman or Blizzard is up to debate, but someone messed up if such a series could happen.

Because you don't care about running apparently.
Or have never been in a competition that you cared about.

The competitions I've been in were for my own league. In training sessions I was paired against practice partners from higher weight-category, and while it was much more frustrating to play against them, I didn't feel like "omg, if I can't beat him i'm a no one!". When I was playing against guys from my own league I was sick as hell.

Really now, why would I mess up when I fight vs a guy with 25 kgs on me? What part of my brain should make me feel pressured into messing up, and making a technical error? I really don't know.

I mean if we're going to give personal anecdotes...

I rowed in high school for a public school. Honestly the sport of rowing at the high school level is DOMINATED by private schools. Basically if you make a finals of a major event and your school name doesn't end in "Prepatory Academy" or something similar, you're supposed to pat yourself on the back. My boat made the Stotesbury regatta (a huge race idk how to describe it) twice, but I never grabbed a medal. For a public school, that's great. But I was never happy with that, and on every starting line I would tremble uncontrollably waiting for the starter's gun. When we crossed the line fourth in my junior year, missing the podium by 1.4 seconds, I wasn't satisfied. I wasn't happy. And I had put a monumental amount of pressure upon myself to win.

Swimming was much the same. I wasn't a state record holder or anything, I was just okay. But on the starting blocks even against people I knew would beat me, I was always nervous. It just happens. It's unexplainable. I'm sure that Stakiman had a considerable amount of similar nerves.
WriterRecently Necro'd (?)
Volband
Profile Joined March 2011
Hungary6034 Posts
January 21 2014 22:43 GMT
#1092
On January 22 2014 07:26 Zealously wrote:
No, giving your best is bare minimum. When you're in the tip top in any (e-)sport in any region, you start to demand more of yourself than just "doing your best". I don't give shit about doing my best at the Nationals, I want to win. If I end up fourth because I wasn't good enough, do you think I'm satisfied? No, I'm not - it doesn't work like that. Stakiman probably isn't (and shouldn't be) happy with how he performed either, valuable experience or not.

I didn't say he should be satisfied, I'm saying "breaking down from the pressure" is not an excuse, when you are just trying your wings in the pro scene, and face the best possible opponent you could get, and the score is 0-0/0-1/0-2. Nani is expected to win the whole thing, every game he plays on his way there is labeled as a "must win".

Stakiman on the other hand? No one even knew about him before this, and he managed to take down Ret - as much as it counts for these days ... -, from an expectation standpoint, he already overdid himself. Sure, he wanted to win, but he only had to deal with himself, the ten thousands of viewers were not expecting anything from him.

On January 22 2014 07:26 Zealously wrote:
As for the idea that you should assume anything - you don't have to assume that you're toast if you don't make it, but you're certainly going to entertain the thought at one time or another. In a scene where you have to win a lot to sustain yourself if you want to play full time (usually a requirement for becoming an international top player), it's only natural that the do-or-die situation will get to you. He's facing the qualifiers again next season - better players than him have failed to make it through those. Knowing that you'll have to do that again if you lose is a very real concern. Even the elite Korean players tell us how much they fear the GSL qualifiers.

Korea is different, it's truly a ruthless scene.
Volband
Profile Joined March 2011
Hungary6034 Posts
January 21 2014 22:57 GMT
#1093
On January 22 2014 07:33 Darkhoarse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2014 07:24 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:19 MavivaM wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:16 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 07:05 MavivaM wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:57 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:52 Zealously wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:50 Volband wrote:
On January 22 2014 06:49 Swiipii wrote:
Stakiman is playing really badly but maybe it's just the stress?

What stress? He has absolutely no weight on his shoulders, no one expects him to win.


No I'm sure he doesn't feel the pressure of either advancing to Premier or losing and having to go through a grueling set of qualifiers again next season, nor any pressure over the fact that he's playing (arguably) one of the biggest matches of his life against Europe's best player.

Nah, why would he feel any stress?

So you say when a little team from the 6th division plays a 1st divison team in a football cup, the little team has a lot of stress on them, because if they lose, they'll have to wait a whole year to compete again, and hell, it's a 1st divison star league!

No, not at all. They are happy to play against said team, and utterly proud of themselves to make it this far (because a 6th division team needs to beat higher ones to meet a 1st division one), and if they lose it's expected, if they manage to get a draw (that's a close series if you translate my analogy to SC language) then their city will make a statue for the team, and if they win, well... you better avoid said city for the next few days.

No pressure, and he failed, but he was already a winner getting through his bracket, so he shouldn't be ashamed or anything, but me, the viewer has the right to bash on him, because these games were awful to watch, and I have no idea why it had to be a BO3.

No, on several levels.

When a little team plays a professional squad they would give their absolute best and be on top level tension since it's their chance to show to someone more competent their ability.
Mediocre people would get content and say "oh well, I made it that far now I can relax".
Competitive people always want to do their best, and therefore feel tension.

Also: money on the line, another season of Wcs on the line, viewers like you who want to criticize everything since they are behind a keyboard and maybe the fact that Stakiman probably wants to be a professional, so he cannot be content with this result.
Unlike him you have no chance to qualify to Wcs afaik, so your "right to bash" looks conceited.

Since when does giving your best equals being under heavy pressure? Sure, make me race with an olympic runner, and I'll give my best for sure, but I won't faint from the stress or anything. It's not about giving up, it's about playing without any expectations from the public, and that's why you are relieved from the immense pressure.

And yes, I have the right to bash, because I did not expect a "Naniwa vs random gold guy"-play. I don't know why he played that way, but it made for a cringeworthy series. Whether my criticism is for Stakiman or Blizzard is up to debate, but someone messed up if such a series could happen.

Because you don't care about running apparently.
Or have never been in a competition that you cared about.

The competitions I've been in were for my own league. In training sessions I was paired against practice partners from higher weight-category, and while it was much more frustrating to play against them, I didn't feel like "omg, if I can't beat him i'm a no one!". When I was playing against guys from my own league I was sick as hell.

Really now, why would I mess up when I fight vs a guy with 25 kgs on me? What part of my brain should make me feel pressured into messing up, and making a technical error? I really don't know.

I mean if we're going to give personal anecdotes...

I rowed in high school for a public school. Honestly the sport of rowing at the high school level is DOMINATED by private schools. Basically if you make a finals of a major event and your school name doesn't end in "Prepatory Academy" or something similar, you're supposed to pat yourself on the back. My boat made the Stotesbury regatta (a huge race idk how to describe it) twice, but I never grabbed a medal. For a public school, that's great. But I was never happy with that, and on every starting line I would tremble uncontrollably waiting for the starter's gun. When we crossed the line fourth in my junior year, missing the podium by 1.4 seconds, I wasn't satisfied. I wasn't happy. And I had put a monumental amount of pressure upon myself to win.

Swimming was much the same. I wasn't a state record holder or anything, I was just okay. But on the starting blocks even against people I knew would beat me, I was always nervous. It just happens. It's unexplainable. I'm sure that Stakiman had a considerable amount of similar nerves.

You do know that there's a certain level of pressure every time you compete, and there's that pressure that just makes you fall apart. Being the underdog is much easier, because there is one person who holds you accountable, and that is you.

You example is great, because it's another scenario where an underdog competitor has no eyes on him. If you win it's huge, but if not, no one will tell you that you are a shame and a big disgrace to your school and city, hell, you might've got the opposite reaction just by making it so far! Yes, it shouldn't have satisfied you or anything, but aside from the healthy pressure everyone gets, I don't think you sailed backwards or something like that.

And from my experience, when you are in the act of competing, this pressure can even help you. It fucking sucks in the previous days, hours, minutes (well, I guess it might differ for each person), but when you are there, it can even boost your performance.
Ljas
Profile Joined July 2012
Finland725 Posts
January 21 2014 23:01 GMT
#1094
On January 22 2014 07:57 Volband wrote:
And from my experience, when you are in the act of competing, this pressure can even help you. It fucking sucks in the previous days, hours, minutes (well, I guess it might differ for each person), but when you are there, it can even boost your performance.

And different people react to pressure differently.
Ufnal
Profile Joined September 2013
Poland1435 Posts
January 21 2014 23:11 GMT
#1095
On January 22 2014 08:01 Ljas wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 22 2014 07:57 Volband wrote:
And from my experience, when you are in the act of competing, this pressure can even help you. It fucking sucks in the previous days, hours, minutes (well, I guess it might differ for each person), but when you are there, it can even boost your performance.

And different people react to pressure differently.


...which is a statement that should finally conclude this discussion. Seriously, it just boils down to this. Some people break under stress, others love it and need it to perform their best. For some people being the underdog is cool as they don't feel the pressure from other people's expectations, for others the pressure comes from their own ambitions and other people have nothing to do with it. What's more to say?
OG | Secret | Liquid | Nigma | Alliance | VP | Fnatic | EG | T1 | LGD
[Erasmus]
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia286 Posts
January 21 2014 23:52 GMT
#1096
This was on the WCS Europe twitch channel right?

Broadcast wasn't saved? Are there going to be vods for this? Cause I really want to watch Streloks games!
AnonymousSC2
Profile Joined January 2014
United States189 Posts
January 22 2014 00:33 GMT
#1097
Extremely dissapointing to miss game 1 of Naniwa vs Stakiman and the casters almost acted as though it didn't happen.. 30 second synopsis of an "epic game" we missed.

Floored by this honestly.
juicyjames *
Profile Joined August 2011
United States3815 Posts
January 22 2014 00:36 GMT
#1098
On January 22 2014 08:52 [Erasmus] wrote:
This was on the WCS Europe twitch channel right?

Broadcast wasn't saved? Are there going to be vods for this? Cause I really want to watch Streloks games!

Saved and uncut: http://www.twitch.tv/wcs_europe2/b/497048404
This Week in SC2Find out what happened 'This Week in Starcraft 2': http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=278126
Prev 1 53 54 55
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 1026
soO 432
Hyuk 402
Mini 225
ZerO 147
Killer 61
Shinee 49
Mind 36
Bale 29
Mong 26
[ Show more ]
PianO 25
Terrorterran 14
yabsab 12
HiyA 11
ZergMaN 11
Dota 2
XaKoH 667
XcaliburYe336
League of Legends
JimRising 447
Counter-Strike
byalli550
Other Games
olofmeister906
ceh9639
Happy372
singsing372
Livibee194
crisheroes191
Mew2King67
ArmadaUGS61
ZerO(Twitch)8
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH372
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2296
League of Legends
• Jankos1351
• Rush1315
• Stunt409
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
1h 12m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
2h 12m
Monday Night Weeklies
7h 12m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 1h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 15h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.