• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:10
CEST 21:10
KST 04:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8015 users

[NASL] Season 3 Finals Day 2 - Page 276

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Tournaments
Post a Reply
Prev 1 274 275 276 277 278 283 Next
rhs408
Profile Joined January 2011
United States904 Posts
July 16 2012 02:21 GMT
#5501
On July 16 2012 11:05 Emperor_Earth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2012 10:55 oniman999 wrote:
On July 16 2012 10:49 Pur3_MaYheM wrote:
On July 16 2012 10:45 oniman999 wrote:
On July 16 2012 10:39 rhs408 wrote:
On July 16 2012 10:32 Antithesis wrote:
On July 16 2012 10:29 Zeon0 wrote:
why are they dacing? i dont mind, but i just dont understand it? and then everyone is hugging everyone, never saw something like that in any other sport before^^

This is cracking me up because it's exactly how I felt.

I enjoyed watching the ceremony, but it was kinda odd. I can't really believe they planned it like "Well, and when the final match is over, EVERYBODY ENTERS THE STAGE AND DANCES".

I don't say it was bad, though.

I have sort of mixed feelings on this "closing ceremony"... first of all, this was definitely an American type of victory celebration - this is what you see in baseball when the world series or even when playoff games are won, the team celebrates after the game in the locker room by spraying champagne on each other, some players may even start dancing around with each other, etc. All perfectly normal in that scenario. But here, it was just one guy who won, and basically the casters all come out, spray champagne on the winner, and then start dancing with him? Imagine if say, this happened when a major Tennis match is won? Do the Tennis TV annoucers come down, spray champagne on the champion, and then start dancing with him?

I think it was all a good idea, we all got a good laugh out of it, but was a bit too "raw". Any feeling of "professional production" that was left went out the window. The winner certainly enjoyed the celebration though, I guess that's an important part of it all (even Alicia would have had a good time I think!), but I think this was more than a bit over the top.


I have only ever seen one professional tennis match in my life, and when that match was the won, the winner threw his racket in the air, screamed, and ripped off his shirt (The heat had something to do with this I imagine). He did this on the court, as soon as the match was over, eventually falling to the ground and staying there for a while, but only after he threw his shirt into the crowd. I would much rather have a dance party to celebrate a tournament where fans can get involved and everyone can have some fun than a celebration like I saw in tennis.



You are talking aobut djokovic after wining a big match, yeah thats pure emotion right there.

As for "professional production" Most of thepeople participating in this league are kids in their 20s, theres no need for a ceremony with red carpets and long speeches, its a videogame ment to be fun, the tournament is meant to bring entertainment, a dance party with the winner seems right for the kind of event the NASL is


Yeah, I couldn't remember if the winner was Djokovic or Nadal. I should probably clarify that I saw nothing wrong with his celebration, it was like you said "pure emotion". I just didn't like the point that tennis is some purely professional 1v1 competition where stuff like that never happens. I like when people show emotion and have fun after a big win, which is why I liked this NASL finals celebration.


... Are you serious? Tennis is one of the most pussified, unprofessional, and fake win celebrations I've ever seen. Grown men on their knees sobbing after match wins... seriously?

I don't mind emotional wins but not after every single match like it's the end of your life. Save it for a finals or something, like Kobe winning Game 7 over Boston a few years back. If Roddick finally beat Federer in a Wimbledon Finals or when Nadal finally trumped Djokovic, okay, that's obviously something emotional. But if you're a top tier profesisonal, you should be expecting to win as part of your mental preparation. Did you see Kobe act like a 4 year old with a scabbed knee after every win? No. You saw a man who controlled himself until he won something of import, not after every bloody day of good work.

BoxeR after his loss to oov was an iconic SC moment for example, and thus obviously full of real emotion. That's something worth sharing and remembering for many reasons. But if BoxeR were to randomly cry everytime he wins a match, i would say that's very unprofessional.

So no, Tennis is an abysmal example in general for what a professional production and celebration should look like.

Sorry tennis lovers, I wasn't trying to make a huge deal about tennis (actually was just trying to think of a sport that is mostly 1v1), never said it lacked emotional endings or anything like that... I gave a specific example of what would seem strange in a tennis match though, a 1v1 sport (for the most part). I'm not really focusing on the reaction of the player/winner, I'm focusing on the production - following a championship victory, would you ever see the TV announcers walk down to the court, spray champagne on the winner and then start dancing with him for a few minutes?

That would be hilarious if that happened in GSL though... Tastosis walk to the stage, spray champagne on winner and then start dancing with him WOOT

But why won't we ever see that on GSL...hmm...
Gamegene
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States8308 Posts
July 16 2012 02:22 GMT
#5502
i can't help but think ret vs stephano would have been a lot more exciting :/
Throw on your favorite jacket and you're good to roll. Stroll through the trees and let your miseries go.
ShAdZ_ZX
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia635 Posts
July 16 2012 02:22 GMT
#5503
On July 16 2012 11:19 00Visor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2012 11:14 Lstrike wrote:
Stephano's run in GSL would depend on a lot of things...His vP is pretty impressive as he can counter a variety of builds. Even without the recent zerg buff, his vP was good.. But his vT is questionable at best and vZ is terrible at Code S level... With the recent metagame shifting to powerful zerg lategame, we will see a lot of zergs in Code A/S. (Even now in Code A ,matches we see a lot of zergs advancing). So his GSL run would depend on any powerful zergs being in his group.

MC vs Stephano can go either way. it went 4-2 this time. MC won 5-3 in fightclub. We havent seen Stephano battle Korean protoss IN KOREA. So only time will tell....


His vT is questionable?
Since May 35-11
http://www.teamliquid.net/tlpd/details.php?section=sc2-international&type=players&id=1996&part=games&vs=T&league=any&map=any&from_year=2012&from_month=5&from_day=1&to_year=2012&to_month=7&to_day=10&action=Update

Won: Keen, Puma, Ganzi x2, Polt, Heart, Ryung
Lost: Bomber, Marineking


Now that I'm arguing against you, but considering this discussion is about GSL, how many of those Terrans he beat are in Code S?
BathTubNZ
Profile Joined December 2011
New Zealand2556 Posts
July 16 2012 02:22 GMT
#5504
On July 16 2012 10:59 Zzoram wrote:
Are the WCS VODs going to be free since they are Blizzard's tournament and not part of NASL?


All NASL VODs are free, why would these be any different? It will probably just take a few days for them to be edited and uploaded as they recover from the finals.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NAStarLeague/videos
InMotion
Profile Joined May 2012
Canada110 Posts
July 16 2012 02:23 GMT
#5505
On July 16 2012 11:16 Alryk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2012 11:07 InMotion wrote:
On July 16 2012 11:05 Alryk wrote:
On July 16 2012 11:01 InMotion wrote:
On July 16 2012 10:57 revel8 wrote:
Stephano has beaten 16 different Koreans in the past 9 weeks or so since he decided to extend his career by an extra year. That includes Alicia and MC both twice. Plus Nerchio, Ret, Socke, Huk, BeastyQT. He has been defeated by Vodka 6 though!


He just got lucky by choosing zerg as his race. This isn't even a balance whine but honestly Z is very strong right now and its just easier to play than protoss or terran. He just wouldn't be winning with Terran especially.

T and P seem to be a race that is very weak late game vs Z and are forced to do all ins or timing pushes to stop the zerg.




This sounds like balance whine.

Ret got stomped by MC in long, late macro games. It's not the race, it's the player.


When did I say Ret = Stephano? Don't bother posting to me if your logic is terrible.


You're saying Stephano is lucky because he chose an easy race (zerg) to play.

I'm saying the race does not make him successful. Ret got stomped by MC, even though he played zerg.

I guess if you're saying "stephano would be worse as a terran" I could say "MVP would be worse as a zerg" what's your point then? I completely disagree about T and P being weak late game and forced to allin to beat zerg. You see protoss players doing early expands and things like that with no pressure and it working all the time against other zerg players.

By saying "stephano would be worse as Terran" you sound like you're saying zerg is easier to play. Hence balance whine. I never said that you said Ret = Stephano, I'm pointing out that the race itself isn't inherently easier to play than any of the others. What were you telling people in mid 2011 when Terran was the only race dominating the GSL? "Other players just aren't as good"? O.o

I mean, I guess yeah, Stephano would do worse as terran.

I say MVP would do worse as Zerg. MC would do worse as terran. MKP would do worse as protoss. DRG would do worse as random. What's the point? Zerg isn't inherently easier to play automatically making stephano better at the game because he plays it.


Except, you realize that there HAS to be "easier" races to play, when compared to the others in the same game?

Blizzard did not make a magical game in which every race requires the EXACT same level of skill, speed, decision-making, micro, and accuracy.

Sorry, they just didn't. My opinion is that zerg is the easiest to play, even if it's by a small margin, it makes a huge difference at this level of play.

And you're going on about korean pros being worse as other races? You know MVP and MC both have amazing zerg? Confirmed by code A/S practice partners?

Also, did you know that both DRG and Stephano have said that zerg doesn't need much practice to maintain skill?
mordk
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Chile8385 Posts
July 16 2012 02:23 GMT
#5506
On July 16 2012 11:22 BathTubNZ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2012 10:59 Zzoram wrote:
Are the WCS VODs going to be free since they are Blizzard's tournament and not part of NASL?


All NASL VODs are free, why would these be any different? It will probably just take a few days for them to be edited and uploaded as they recover from the finals.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NAStarLeague/videos

You must mean recover from the massive amounts of alcohol they'll all consume tonight
taoito
Profile Joined July 2011
65 Posts
July 16 2012 02:24 GMT
#5507
On July 16 2012 10:48 darkest44 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2012 10:17 Pur3_MaYheM wrote:
Laurenand the other girl definitely want to abng stephano tonight


Might actually be true... she seems to really like stephano, her twitter https://twitter.com/IamLaurenElise
"haha! Im just his biggest fan! " etc etc like 10 tweets about him
geez hes a rockstar


Another tweet from her:
@MillStephano My french croissant... Please win... You are my favorite!

Well well, with her being married too, what's happening tonight I wonder :p
Snusmumriken
Profile Joined April 2012
Sweden1717 Posts
July 16 2012 02:24 GMT
#5508
reading this thread is like being back in primary-school arguing whos brother is the oldest and strongest.
Amove for Aiur
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
July 16 2012 02:26 GMT
#5509
On July 16 2012 11:19 Lstrike wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2012 10:56 epicdemic wrote:
On July 16 2012 10:39 mordk wrote:
On July 16 2012 10:34 illsick wrote:
On July 16 2012 10:30 SCST wrote:
I don't think GSL really suites Stephano's style . . . he doesn't catch me as the kind of guy who studies his opponents, or wants to wait around for days and weeks to play each match. He just wants to roll through to the end and cash in. Can't say I blame him, and I'm definitely a big fan because of it.


He plays his style and doesn't worry too much on other people's style. He's been analyzed and studied a lot but yet he still is a dominant player. I think he can do well, just that there's so many people at his skill level in GSL. He's definitely one of the best players in the world.

He's a dominant player who only just got his first big tournament. I think he's an awesome player, but don't think he'll magically get to korea and win the GSL. The competition there is far and above anything Stephano has won so far.


Lol man, what's with the fucking haters. Stephano has been finishing top 4 in so many major recent tournaments he participated in. MLG, Red Bull, IPL, NASL, he's been owning it up everywhere. His skill level is higher than both Naniwa and SaSe, who both made it into code S recently.

If Stephano would participate in Code S it would of course not be a guaranteed win, but he would have a better shot than the average Code S player most certainly.

He has already been to Korea once and the only reason he didn't do Code S was because he didn't want to. He only has to accept GOM's seed.

And I'm not saying this because I like Stephano. MKP has said in an interview that Stephano is Code S level, and I believe some other Code S players as well. Furthermore a lot of Broodwar Players (Jaedong et. al) are impressed with him.

Sure Stephano is not perfect, but he's one of the best players in the world and if you want to post comments like that you're in the wrong place at the wrong time bro. GTFO.

Sase? sure.. Naniwa? I dont think so... You are seriously underestimating Naniwa's skill level.. Stephano is surely Code S level, no doubt about that.. He may even go to Ro8-Ro4 depending on his luck.. But comparing him to Naniwa is just not right.


Personally, I think Naniwa and Stephano are equal in skill.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
FeUerFlieGe
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1193 Posts
July 16 2012 02:27 GMT
#5510
On July 16 2012 11:24 Snusmumriken wrote:
reading this thread is like being back in primary-school arguing whos brother is the oldest and strongest.


No! These are grown men arguing on how good Stephano is because it really matters!
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores. - Shakespeare
00Visor
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
4337 Posts
July 16 2012 02:28 GMT
#5511
On July 16 2012 11:22 ShAdZ_ZX wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2012 11:19 00Visor wrote:
On July 16 2012 11:14 Lstrike wrote:
Stephano's run in GSL would depend on a lot of things...His vP is pretty impressive as he can counter a variety of builds. Even without the recent zerg buff, his vP was good.. But his vT is questionable at best and vZ is terrible at Code S level... With the recent metagame shifting to powerful zerg lategame, we will see a lot of zergs in Code A/S. (Even now in Code A ,matches we see a lot of zergs advancing). So his GSL run would depend on any powerful zergs being in his group.

MC vs Stephano can go either way. it went 4-2 this time. MC won 5-3 in fightclub. We havent seen Stephano battle Korean protoss IN KOREA. So only time will tell....


His vT is questionable?
Since May 35-11
http://www.teamliquid.net/tlpd/details.php?section=sc2-international&type=players&id=1996&part=games&vs=T&league=any&map=any&from_year=2012&from_month=5&from_day=1&to_year=2012&to_month=7&to_day=10&action=Update

Won: Keen, Puma, Ganzi x2, Polt, Heart, Ryung
Lost: Bomber, Marineking


Now that I'm arguing against you, but considering this discussion is about GSL, how many of those Terrans he beat are in Code S?

I don't think Code S means that much, some better players are in Code A and its changing every season.

But If you only take Code S:
Won: Keen, Ganzi x2, Ryung
Lost: Marineking

Still not really questionable imo.
Lstrike
Profile Joined April 2012
United States27 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-16 02:30:44
July 16 2012 02:30 GMT
#5512
On July 16 2012 11:26 Alryk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2012 11:19 Lstrike wrote:
On July 16 2012 10:56 epicdemic wrote:
On July 16 2012 10:39 mordk wrote:
On July 16 2012 10:34 illsick wrote:
On July 16 2012 10:30 SCST wrote:
I don't think GSL really suites Stephano's style . . . he doesn't catch me as the kind of guy who studies his opponents, or wants to wait around for days and weeks to play each match. He just wants to roll through to the end and cash in. Can't say I blame him, and I'm definitely a big fan because of it.


He plays his style and doesn't worry too much on other people's style. He's been analyzed and studied a lot but yet he still is a dominant player. I think he can do well, just that there's so many people at his skill level in GSL. He's definitely one of the best players in the world.

He's a dominant player who only just got his first big tournament. I think he's an awesome player, but don't think he'll magically get to korea and win the GSL. The competition there is far and above anything Stephano has won so far.


Lol man, what's with the fucking haters. Stephano has been finishing top 4 in so many major recent tournaments he participated in. MLG, Red Bull, IPL, NASL, he's been owning it up everywhere. His skill level is higher than both Naniwa and SaSe, who both made it into code S recently.

If Stephano would participate in Code S it would of course not be a guaranteed win, but he would have a better shot than the average Code S player most certainly.

He has already been to Korea once and the only reason he didn't do Code S was because he didn't want to. He only has to accept GOM's seed.

And I'm not saying this because I like Stephano. MKP has said in an interview that Stephano is Code S level, and I believe some other Code S players as well. Furthermore a lot of Broodwar Players (Jaedong et. al) are impressed with him.

Sure Stephano is not perfect, but he's one of the best players in the world and if you want to post comments like that you're in the wrong place at the wrong time bro. GTFO.

Sase? sure.. Naniwa? I dont think so... You are seriously underestimating Naniwa's skill level.. Stephano is surely Code S level, no doubt about that.. He may even go to Ro8-Ro4 depending on his luck.. But comparing him to Naniwa is just not right.


Personally, I think Naniwa and Stephano are equal in skill.


I have the same opinion.. But I said that because we cannot compare them because they are at totally different levels..
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27451 Posts
July 16 2012 02:30 GMT
#5513
On July 16 2012 11:27 FeUerFlieGe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2012 11:24 Snusmumriken wrote:
reading this thread is like being back in primary-school arguing whos brother is the oldest and strongest.


No! These are grown men arguing on how good Stephano is because it really matters!

In an LR thread about him no less! Plus this is much preferable to Stephano fanboys and anti-fanboys (I now refuse to use that idiotic term 'hater' ) stinking up 90% of other unrelated threads discussing him
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Zzoram
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada7115 Posts
July 16 2012 02:30 GMT
#5514
On July 16 2012 11:26 Alryk wrote:

Personally, I think Naniwa and Stephano are equal in skill.


I don't think we can judge this until we get them to play each other.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
July 16 2012 02:32 GMT
#5515
On July 16 2012 11:23 InMotion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2012 11:16 Alryk wrote:
On July 16 2012 11:07 InMotion wrote:
On July 16 2012 11:05 Alryk wrote:
On July 16 2012 11:01 InMotion wrote:
On July 16 2012 10:57 revel8 wrote:
Stephano has beaten 16 different Koreans in the past 9 weeks or so since he decided to extend his career by an extra year. That includes Alicia and MC both twice. Plus Nerchio, Ret, Socke, Huk, BeastyQT. He has been defeated by Vodka 6 though!


He just got lucky by choosing zerg as his race. This isn't even a balance whine but honestly Z is very strong right now and its just easier to play than protoss or terran. He just wouldn't be winning with Terran especially.

T and P seem to be a race that is very weak late game vs Z and are forced to do all ins or timing pushes to stop the zerg.




This sounds like balance whine.

Ret got stomped by MC in long, late macro games. It's not the race, it's the player.


When did I say Ret = Stephano? Don't bother posting to me if your logic is terrible.


You're saying Stephano is lucky because he chose an easy race (zerg) to play.

I'm saying the race does not make him successful. Ret got stomped by MC, even though he played zerg.

I guess if you're saying "stephano would be worse as a terran" I could say "MVP would be worse as a zerg" what's your point then? I completely disagree about T and P being weak late game and forced to allin to beat zerg. You see protoss players doing early expands and things like that with no pressure and it working all the time against other zerg players.

By saying "stephano would be worse as Terran" you sound like you're saying zerg is easier to play. Hence balance whine. I never said that you said Ret = Stephano, I'm pointing out that the race itself isn't inherently easier to play than any of the others. What were you telling people in mid 2011 when Terran was the only race dominating the GSL? "Other players just aren't as good"? O.o

I mean, I guess yeah, Stephano would do worse as terran.

I say MVP would do worse as Zerg. MC would do worse as terran. MKP would do worse as protoss. DRG would do worse as random. What's the point? Zerg isn't inherently easier to play automatically making stephano better at the game because he plays it.


Except, you realize that there HAS to be "easier" races to play, when compared to the others in the same game?

Blizzard did not make a magical game in which every race requires the EXACT same level of skill, speed, decision-making, micro, and accuracy.

Sorry, they just didn't. My opinion is that zerg is the easiest to play, even if it's by a small margin, it makes a huge difference at this level of play.

And you're going on about korean pros being worse as other races? You know MVP and MC both have amazing zerg? Confirmed by code A/S practice partners?

Also, did you know that both DRG and Stephano have said that zerg doesn't need much practice to maintain skill?


Ok, you're right. Each race isn't EXACTLY the same in difficulty. If you could quantify it anyways.

My opinion is that zerg is not the easiest to play. I play protoss. Each race has a different skillset that you need to master. Zerg is so mechanically difficult that players with excellent mechanics like Stephano and DRG are going to find it easy to maintain their skill because they're practically born with an affinity for it.

Not that I don't believe you, but can you source all of that? I think I do remember reading something about MVP playing zerg as his off race, but I also think that MVP would still not perform as well as he does if he switched to zerg. Otherwise, why wouldn't he? Early on in his career he wanted to earn as much money as possible to help his family, so if he can earn more by playing zerg, he should.

The way I see it, if any of the races was noticeably, quantifiably easier to play in every way than the others, all of the successful players would play that race (funny that was terran for a while, you never answered my question about GSL terran dominance ). That doesn't happen because different players excel at different parts of the game.

I'm pretty sure that in MC's days of dominance, FF was insanely overpowered and protoss was easy to play. Then MVP came, and zerg required a ton of skill. Now, terran and protoss are clearly underpowered because Stephano won NASL, the stars are lined up with the sun, and let's not forget MVP winning the last GSL. That one was very important for zerg being an easier race to play.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
00Visor
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
4337 Posts
July 16 2012 02:33 GMT
#5516
On July 16 2012 11:30 Zzoram wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2012 11:26 Alryk wrote:

Personally, I think Naniwa and Stephano are equal in skill.


I don't think we can judge this until we get them to play each other.


IMO not.
That would only be one matchup. PvZ is probably Naniwas weakest and Stephanos strongest.
ShAdZ_ZX
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia635 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-16 02:36:15
July 16 2012 02:33 GMT
#5517
On July 16 2012 11:26 Alryk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2012 11:19 Lstrike wrote:
On July 16 2012 10:56 epicdemic wrote:
On July 16 2012 10:39 mordk wrote:
On July 16 2012 10:34 illsick wrote:
On July 16 2012 10:30 SCST wrote:
I don't think GSL really suites Stephano's style . . . he doesn't catch me as the kind of guy who studies his opponents, or wants to wait around for days and weeks to play each match. He just wants to roll through to the end and cash in. Can't say I blame him, and I'm definitely a big fan because of it.


He plays his style and doesn't worry too much on other people's style. He's been analyzed and studied a lot but yet he still is a dominant player. I think he can do well, just that there's so many people at his skill level in GSL. He's definitely one of the best players in the world.

He's a dominant player who only just got his first big tournament. I think he's an awesome player, but don't think he'll magically get to korea and win the GSL. The competition there is far and above anything Stephano has won so far.


Lol man, what's with the fucking haters. Stephano has been finishing top 4 in so many major recent tournaments he participated in. MLG, Red Bull, IPL, NASL, he's been owning it up everywhere. His skill level is higher than both Naniwa and SaSe, who both made it into code S recently.

If Stephano would participate in Code S it would of course not be a guaranteed win, but he would have a better shot than the average Code S player most certainly.

He has already been to Korea once and the only reason he didn't do Code S was because he didn't want to. He only has to accept GOM's seed.

And I'm not saying this because I like Stephano. MKP has said in an interview that Stephano is Code S level, and I believe some other Code S players as well. Furthermore a lot of Broodwar Players (Jaedong et. al) are impressed with him.

Sure Stephano is not perfect, but he's one of the best players in the world and if you want to post comments like that you're in the wrong place at the wrong time bro. GTFO.

Sase? sure.. Naniwa? I dont think so... You are seriously underestimating Naniwa's skill level.. Stephano is surely Code S level, no doubt about that.. He may even go to Ro8-Ro4 depending on his luck.. But comparing him to Naniwa is just not right.


Personally, I think Naniwa and Stephano are equal in skill.


Skill isn't quantifiable, unfortunately.

However, based on how they both have performed in recent history versus certain players, I think they'd have to be close. Still, that doesn't mean that Naniwa's GSL success would directly translate to Stephano. Placing high in GSL requires a lot more preparation and luck than most other tournaments. Stephano could quite easily get dropped in Ro32 if he happened to catch an unlucky group.
ShAdZ_ZX
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Australia635 Posts
July 16 2012 02:35 GMT
#5518
On July 16 2012 11:30 Zzoram wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2012 11:26 Alryk wrote:

Personally, I think Naniwa and Stephano are equal in skill.


I don't think we can judge this until we get them to play each other.


Their 'skill' is referring to their overall ability as pro players in ALL matchups. A 1v1 would only test their ZvP.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-16 02:36:44
July 16 2012 02:35 GMT
#5519
On July 16 2012 11:30 Zzoram wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2012 11:26 Alryk wrote:

Personally, I think Naniwa and Stephano are equal in skill.


I don't think we can judge this until we get them to play each other.


That's why it's just an opinion You can still evaluate players even though they haven't played against each other.

Think MVP and DRG, who have only played 4 times in Korea (one GSTL foreeeeeeeeever ago, then Arena of Legends, then blizzard cup). But you can still compare the two. The result of that comparison (of any two players) is up for debate though.

Edit: The fact about it only testing ZvP is a good point too.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Elairec
Profile Joined June 2011
United States410 Posts
July 16 2012 02:35 GMT
#5520
On July 16 2012 11:33 00Visor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2012 11:30 Zzoram wrote:
On July 16 2012 11:26 Alryk wrote:

Personally, I think Naniwa and Stephano are equal in skill.


I don't think we can judge this until we get them to play each other.


IMO not.
That would only be one matchup. PvZ is probably Naniwas weakest and Stephanos strongest.


So you want them to play all the matchups? O.o
Prev 1 274 275 276 277 278 283 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 4
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
BRAT_OK 55
JuggernautJason50
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 23925
Mini 395
Hyuk 156
firebathero 120
ggaemo 119
Dewaltoss 117
ToSsGirL 25
ZZZero.O 23
Terrorterran 1
Dota 2
Gorgc7144
febbydoto22
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3413
Khaldor1550
crisheroes1028
Liquid`Hasu812
Other Games
FrodaN2817
fl0m919
Beastyqt743
KnowMe441
mouzStarbuck306
summit1g157
ArmadaUGS122
Mew2King52
Trikslyr43
Chillindude17
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1102
BasetradeTV198
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream35
[ Show 21 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 100
• StrangeGG 49
• Adnapsc2 23
• LUISG 9
• Letter141
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 44
• 80smullet 19
• Azhi_Dahaki3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7705
• WagamamaTV485
Other Games
• imaqtpie854
• Shiphtur288
• tFFMrPink 15
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
14h 50m
INu's Battles
16h 50m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
19h 50m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
23h 50m
BSL Open Qualifier
23h 50m
Replay Cast
1d 4h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 14h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 15h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 20h
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.