• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:35
CEST 06:35
KST 13:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War585.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8191 users

The HotS Protoss Help Me Thread - Page 49

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 47 48 49 50 51 367 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action. Also, please put some effort into your questions. Do not just ask for build orders.
KingLumps
Profile Joined January 2012
74 Posts
April 08 2013 18:34 GMT
#961
what time does a hatch first go down?
iSuck
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
April 08 2013 18:35 GMT
#962
2:05
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
DrSayius
Profile Joined February 2013
12 Posts
April 09 2013 01:46 GMT
#963
Gold Protoss, here.

Just a quick query with respect to phoenix vs muta battles. Should I be getting armour upgrades first or focusing on attack upgrades? In the GSL last week, Artosis mentioned that in muta wars its best to get the armour first due to glaives. Does this same logic apply or is there something peculiar to phoenix vs muta that makes attack upgrades better?

Secondly, does going for a land based composition with phoenix support make shield upgrades more of a priority?
Ben...
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3485 Posts
April 09 2013 01:50 GMT
#964
Oh man, 2 medivac 8 marauder drop where all they do is target down the nexus and then NOS out. I mean it is a pretty old school tactic, but with boost it seems kinda potent, especially if you aren't really close by. I just got completely dominated by someone doing that. It can snipe a nexus before you can respond. I never even thought about that because I haven't seen it in so long. Just giving the heads up that it does exist again. I will review my replay. I am sure I did something wrong.
"Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide" -Tastosis
SteveNick
Profile Joined November 2008
United States304 Posts
April 09 2013 02:32 GMT
#965
On April 09 2013 10:46 DrSayius wrote:
Gold Protoss, here.

Just a quick query with respect to phoenix vs muta battles. Should I be getting armour upgrades first or focusing on attack upgrades? In the GSL last week, Artosis mentioned that in muta wars its best to get the armour first due to glaives. Does this same logic apply or is there something peculiar to phoenix vs muta that makes attack upgrades better?

Secondly, does going for a land based composition with phoenix support make shield upgrades more of a priority?



I don't know the exact context of whatever Artosis said, but you definitely want air attack over air armour in phoenix vs. muta. With proper micro the mutalisks shouldn't be able to attack the phoenixes, so the only factor upgrades play is in how fast the mutalisks die.
It's all fun and games until somebody gets 4gated.
LeeDawg
Profile Joined April 2012
United States1306 Posts
April 09 2013 04:15 GMT
#966
how do i hold off a proxy reaper rush? just got raped by a proxy reaper. I chronoed my stalker and added a second gate, but he just microed my lone stalker to death with 3 reapers
:-)
recklessfire
Profile Joined September 2010
United States373 Posts
April 09 2013 05:12 GMT
#967
On April 09 2013 13:15 LeeDawg wrote:
how do i hold off a proxy reaper rush? just got raped by a proxy reaper. I chronoed my stalker and added a second gate, but he just microed my lone stalker to death with 3 reapers


did you get the msc out?
HeyJude
Profile Joined July 2010
United States157 Posts
April 09 2013 09:43 GMT
#968
I checked the OP and don't see anything about how to execute a 4-gate with MSC. I've tried various builds and it seems like if I'm able to get out an MSC it means cutting the early stalker(s) so I have to add a 2nd gas, but then I end up with loads of extra gas. If someone could post or link a replay with a well executed 4-gate with MSC I'd appreciate it.
FireMonkey
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Australia105 Posts
April 09 2013 09:55 GMT
#969
a 4gate with msc is too late, you can still do normal 4gate and hope he goes mothership core early on so you can win. I dont know if its just me cause im in diamond, but i've found that 4 gating works really well when they go mothership core early on.
fuck bitches, get money
rEalGuapo
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany832 Posts
April 09 2013 14:36 GMT
#970
Has anyone found a solution to ghost Viking, I read the OP but it isn't quite that simple. 20 upgraded vikings rip through Colossi fast enough to kill 6 of them by the time the Vikings die, afterwards 200 supply of Gateway units will lose to 40 Ghosts and 10 Marauders hard -.-
Are Tempests any good maybe? To snipe Vikings and help my Colossi survive?
ThaReckoning
Profile Joined January 2011
United States197 Posts
April 09 2013 14:49 GMT
#971
On April 09 2013 18:55 FireMonkey wrote:
a 4gate with msc is too late, you can still do normal 4gate and hope he goes mothership core early on so you can win. I dont know if its just me cause im in diamond, but i've found that 4 gating works really well when they go mothership core early on.


In my experience, if you 4gate and they go MSC, you've almost certainly lost. It's really hard to get pylons inside a player's base with the MSC there.
If you want to make one goal, to win, you must lose.
FetTerBender
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany1393 Posts
April 09 2013 15:35 GMT
#972
On April 09 2013 23:36 rEalGuapo wrote:
Has anyone found a solution to ghost Viking, I read the OP but it isn't quite that simple. 20 upgraded vikings rip through Colossi fast enough to kill 6 of them by the time the Vikings die, afterwards 200 supply of Gateway units will lose to 40 Ghosts and 10 Marauders hard -.-
Are Tempests any good maybe? To snipe Vikings and help my Colossi survive?


Tempest are great if you want to force the T into action. In a way you give him a "fight or flee" command, due to the great range of the tempest. On the other hand, every tempest you build means mineral-wise -1 colossus, so you have to be careful not to go too temp-heavy. 2-3 are a great way to focus down Vikings imho.
There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity.
ShaolinZorg
Profile Joined February 2013
Belgium47 Posts
April 09 2013 15:38 GMT
#973

In my experience, if you 4gate and they go MSC, you've almost certainly lost. It's really hard to get pylons inside a player's base with the MSC there.


how do you effectively manage the pressure of a 4 gater ,

let's suppose you got 3 gates and MSC, are you suppose to hold and increase number of gates (as 4 gater will likely increase his gates) ? expand behind ?
Qui veut voyager loin ménage sa monture
ThaReckoning
Profile Joined January 2011
United States197 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-09 16:42:01
April 09 2013 16:32 GMT
#974
On April 10 2013 00:38 ShaolinZorg wrote:
Show nested quote +

In my experience, if you 4gate and they go MSC, you've almost certainly lost. It's really hard to get pylons inside a player's base with the MSC there.


how do you effectively manage the pressure of a 4 gater ,

let's suppose you got 3 gates and MSC, are you suppose to hold and increase number of gates (as 4 gater will likely increase his gates) ? expand behind ?


I'm usually planning to DT anyways, so all you do is keep the forward pylons from going down + def with MSC until DT's are out, and then you usually autowin.

Edit: It works the same with any tech path, though. You hold out for blink or immortals or to put an oracle in his mineral line or voids or whatever, the theory is all the same. Use 3g + msc to deny pylons and defend, then beat him with a gas advantage.
If you want to make one goal, to win, you must lose.
HeyJude
Profile Joined July 2010
United States157 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-09 17:05:52
April 09 2013 17:01 GMT
#975
On April 09 2013 18:43 HeyJude wrote:
I checked the OP and don't see anything about how to execute a 4-gate with MSC. I've tried various builds and it seems like if I'm able to get out an MSC it means cutting the early stalker(s) so I have to add a 2nd gas, but then I end up with loads of extra gas. If someone could post or link a replay with a well executed 4-gate with MSC I'd appreciate it.

So does anyone have a decent, game-tested 4-gate w/ MSC? I guess if I went double zealot for my first 2 units instead of a stalker it could work, but then I'd lose the harass factor.

***and if I open 4gate and a terran opens fast widow mines/drop that's basically a build order loss right? Or is there some way I can recover? Really sucks that a mine one-shots stalkers
.kv
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States2332 Posts
April 09 2013 17:26 GMT
#976
On April 10 2013 02:01 HeyJude wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 09 2013 18:43 HeyJude wrote:
I checked the OP and don't see anything about how to execute a 4-gate with MSC. I've tried various builds and it seems like if I'm able to get out an MSC it means cutting the early stalker(s) so I have to add a 2nd gas, but then I end up with loads of extra gas. If someone could post or link a replay with a well executed 4-gate with MSC I'd appreciate it.

So does anyone have a decent, game-tested 4-gate w/ MSC? I guess if I went double zealot for my first 2 units instead of a stalker it could work, but then I'd lose the harass factor.

***and if I open 4gate and a terran opens fast widow mines/drop that's basically a build order loss right? Or is there some way I can recover? Really sucks that a mine one-shots stalkers

That's the downside to that build which is why you don't see many do that build...its just overall bad...its better if you do a tech/Msc/gateway allin instead if you so choose to
.kv
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States2332 Posts
April 09 2013 17:28 GMT
#977
On April 10 2013 00:38 ShaolinZorg wrote:
Show nested quote +

In my experience, if you 4gate and they go MSC, you've almost certainly lost. It's really hard to get pylons inside a player's base with the MSC there.


how do you effectively manage the pressure of a 4 gater ,

let's suppose you got 3 gates and MSC, are you suppose to hold and increase number of gates (as 4 gater will likely increase his gates) ? expand behind ?


Never let him get up your ramp and the next option is up to you what tech you want to go to and expand behind it
Kinon
Profile Joined October 2012
Romania207 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-09 20:35:31
April 09 2013 20:29 GMT
#978
Hello gosu TL users, I've been trying a PvZ build for a while now, and I think I'm ready to receive some feedback for it.
The build in question is ffe-->stargate-->4 gate pressure-->3 base push. The replay I got from Desrow, so it should work very well at my level (diamond).
This is the first game: http://drop.sc/321244
It went really good for me, that's my usual play. I cut quite a lot of probes, but I don't think it's that bad. Should have got a 4th, but I was convinced he wouldn't survive my push.

Second game: http://drop.sc/321243
This game was tricky:
- I tried to stall his natural, but I think I overextended and my forge was too late.
- he slipped 2 lings in my main and delayed my 4 gate pressure by about a minute.
- I killed his third and a ton of overlords, but his counterpush was realy damn good and I lost my third.
- My colossus was late, but his macro was still too good in my opinion.

So, here are my questions:
- Do you have anything to add/change to my build?
- Usually after the push I go Colossus tech, get 2 void rays+ MSC, 1 immortal and whatever I can warp in. In that last replay this wasn't enough, should I go more sentry heavy? Or what composition?
- Any general feedback?

Thanks in advance, gl hf!
hzflank
Profile Joined August 2011
United Kingdom2991 Posts
April 09 2013 21:59 GMT
#979
On April 10 2013 01:32 ThaReckoning wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2013 00:38 ShaolinZorg wrote:

In my experience, if you 4gate and they go MSC, you've almost certainly lost. It's really hard to get pylons inside a player's base with the MSC there.


how do you effectively manage the pressure of a 4 gater ,

let's suppose you got 3 gates and MSC, are you suppose to hold and increase number of gates (as 4 gater will likely increase his gates) ? expand behind ?


I'm usually planning to DT anyways, so all you do is keep the forward pylons from going down + def with MSC until DT's are out, and then you usually autowin.

Edit: It works the same with any tech path, though. You hold out for blink or immortals or to put an oracle in his mineral line or voids or whatever, the theory is all the same. Use 3g + msc to deny pylons and defend, then beat him with a gas advantage.


Just to add to this, if you are going immortals or voids you can hold with only 2 gates. The photon overcharge is really that good against a 4 gate. I tend to trade better than 2:1 against 4 gates now.

Typically I defend their attack, kill the pylons and counter with my superior tech while expanding behind it. But it does not really matter as you already won.
Ben...
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3485 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-09 22:04:58
April 09 2013 22:03 GMT
#980
Ok, here is a build that I have only seen once on NA but a few times on KR, but I honestly don't know how to tell it apart from a regular quick gas opening. Unfortunately this is a worse version of it, because the best replay I had of a guy from a known Korean clan doing it (which was much more crisply done) was lost when my SSD I had most of my replays on died the other day.

Firstly, I was kinda tilted playing because I had just played 2 PvPs before this game and lost both so I wasn't playing 100% but still mostly there. I goofed up my wall but it wouldn't have made a difference (usually the forge is near the ramp with the opening on the other side of the natural). The build is a crazy fast roach/ling all-in that looks like a standard hatch into speed opening. My initial scout probe died so I went to send another and it was already hitting. I know I was supply blocked when it hit, but the slight delay to my voidray again would not have helped. He did too much damage (which is the same thing that happened on the KR versions of this too. It does a ton of damage really fast).

However, this Zerg's rendition isn't nearly as good as the previously mentioned one from the Korean server. The other one opened with this low-drone, mass unit attack but afterward didn't make more units but instead droned and got a third behind it, making it much stronger because it still messed me up a ton but wasn't nearly as all-in.

Here's the replay: http://drop.sc/321260

Also, 2 people have been promoted to Master after playing me today. Kinda demoralizing hahaha.
"Cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide" -Tastosis
Prev 1 47 48 49 50 51 367 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 26m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 258
FoxeR 58
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4643
Leta 1813
ViBE132
Bale 53
Shine 20
Icarus 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm195
League of Legends
JimRising 623
Other Games
summit1g8289
WinterStarcraft541
Mew2King31
Sick6
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick581
BasetradeTV194
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta28
• Letter149
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota287
League of Legends
• Lourlo788
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5h 26m
Patches Events
10h 26m
BSL Open Qualifier
14h 26m
BSL Open Qualifier
14h 26m
OSC
18h 26m
OSC
1d 7h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.