• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:09
CEST 06:09
KST 13:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7518 users

[G] TheCore - Advanced Keyboard Layout - Page 311

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 309 310 311 312 313 432 Next
Judger
Profile Joined December 2013
Portugal2 Posts
February 12 2014 15:35 GMT
#6201
Hey JaKaTaK

I started using TheCore recently using the hotkey trainer and the thing I find more dificult right now is the control groups, but that is because I didn't trained that much yet. But I'm realy diggind into it and finding more fun and simple.

I use the TRM version for the US keyboard and I've made already some customization.

The first thing is mostly because I'm used to using the tab in the standard l needed a key in my keyboard that did that to, so since the backspace was not being used, i added to the function to go to the next sub control group. If I need to reach to it I can use the tumb or the index finger.

The second chance is because right now I'm using a keyboard that does not allow rapid fire, but I came up with a way to have rapid fire even in a keyboard that doesn't allow it.
The only condition is that your mouse must have more that 5 buttons, and currently many more mouses have that property, or have enough buttons that the mouse has both a keyboard settings and a mouse settings when you right click on it. Then you set the mouse keyboard settings (I know it's confusing) and do the same as you would do on a keyboard. Afterwards you can add that buttons to the hotkeys in the same way you would do to rapid fire. Usually I found that those extra buttons are mapped to keys like page up and page down, so I had to change the zoom keys to home and end. (If you didn't understand tell me and I'll try to explain better or PM me.) But basically it's a way to have rapid fire even if you don't have a keyboard that does not support rapid fire.

Thanks for this amazing layout.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 12 2014 15:55 GMT
#6202
The first thing is mostly because I'm used to using the tab in the standard l needed a key in my keyboard that did that to, so since the backspace was not being used, i added to the function to go to the next sub control group. If I need to reach to it I can use the tumb or the index finger.


The thumb?! That is some crazy reach. I would advise against this. Try swapping the enter key function with the backspace. Much faster and easier on your wrist.

Cool work around for rapid fire. However, all keyboards support rapid fire, just not rapid fire worker splits or injects. Those 2 are special

Glad you're digging the layout. Feel free to stop by TheJaKaChaT group on the AM server and hang out/play games with us
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Judger
Profile Joined December 2013
Portugal2 Posts
February 12 2014 16:19 GMT
#6203
The thumb?! That is some crazy reach. I would advise against this. Try swapping the enter key function with the backspace. Much faster and easier on your wrist.


Very nice idea, I'll be sure to try that.


I didn't explained myself clearly in the other post, but this trick was to solve the problems with this two special ones. xD
If you have a seven mouse button you can for example put button 6 for idle worker or base camera and button seven to the rapid fire or other option you want, that way you can do rapid fire injects or rapid worker splits even if the keyboard does not support it.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 12 2014 16:31 GMT
#6204
Cool Now we're on the same page. Wanted to make sure you knew you could use normal rapid fire without pressing 2 buttons.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Fortuna.424
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany174 Posts
February 13 2014 15:46 GMT
#6205
Hey,
I just wanted to ask if there are any proven benifits reducing wrist pain while using the core.
I like Zerglings... and Banelings... and also Roaches... well, i like ZERG
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 13 2014 16:02 GMT
#6206
No Clinical Trials. But individual players have reported reduced wrist pain. Foxy Mayhem (Co-creator) has some serious wrist issues and did a lot of research for himself that we applied to TheCore to make it as ergonomic as possible.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
zerK
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada176 Posts
February 13 2014 16:28 GMT
#6207
At GM level would it be usefull to switch? im a BW player.. i really like the normal setup but i would like to be different idk!
zerK the Zerg !
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 13 2014 16:38 GMT
#6208
If you want to be different, now's the time to get on TheCore boat early. Then you can say you used TheCore before it was cool. Because it will be cool! Oh yes, it will

Basically the more APM you use, the more useful TheCore is to you, because it takes time off each action and action combo you do. GM is probably one of the sweet spots for learning TheCore, you're not a pro yet, so you can afford to take the time out and learn the layout, and you also have lots of dicipline, and training knowledge that will help you learn quickly. We've found that the better players tend to learn TheCore faster.

GLHF! Let us all know how it goes
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
B34ST
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom150 Posts
February 14 2014 22:13 GMT
#6209
If I want to use The Chameleon or I don't have the side buttons on my mouse which one do I use? right side, zerg, medium hand.

I've been using the old Core and think I should upgrade with HOTS
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 14 2014 23:15 GMT
#6210
TheCore ZRM is the best layout for you based on what you're saying. Customize Next Subgroup to be on Enter and you're good to go

As a side note, for anyone that can't play with TheCore because they don't have a keyboard that works with it. Go to a thrift shop. They got piles and piles for around $4.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
oyaji
Profile Joined February 2014
3 Posts
February 15 2014 04:56 GMT
#6211
Speaking of keyboards, is there one that is particularly good to use with TheCore? On my cheap Dell keyboard, I find it's uncomfortable to hold down the shift key without hitting any of the other keys. I think the ideal might be a keyboard with a large shift key and a wide key (or two keys) between Ctrl and Alt that can be popped out, leaving a big space for the thumb.
EmNGiantNome
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
United States126 Posts
February 15 2014 21:38 GMT
#6212
To improve the efficiency of the backspace method on the core you may be able to bind commands to the side mouse buttons on your mouse. If you do not have a mouse with side buttons you may be able to layer the left and right mouse buttons with a key on the keyboard. Example would be Shift+Left Click. I think the core is well optimized for most other forms of injects but the backspace method is one area where the core is lacking imo. Hopefully this helps someone Love to hear thoughts!
YoTcA
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany151 Posts
February 16 2014 14:44 GMT
#6213
Hey, I started to use TheCore a few weeks back and i love it so far. It was really hard, and also fun, to learn a new hotkey setup and I finally feel like using thecore is more fluent than my old hotkey setup. So thanks a lot for all the work you put into this.

I am using ZRM and only made 1 change so far. I swapped the center base hotkey from strg+alt (german keyboard) to a side mouse button, so now i can decide if I want the camera to be centered or not.
There is still one problem i am facing from time to time, and that is the K button. Sometimes i forget to press shift (or am a little to slow with my thumb, i dont know) and end up building extra queens or tell my units to stop. As the queens can be cacled, the stop command is my main problem. So i am thinking about removing the stop command from the K button, as I normally do not use it at all. Is there any big advantage of the stop command compared to hold position, that I am not aware of / Is there any situation in the game, where to stop command makes your life easier compared to hold position?

Also, as I am playing protoss and terran from time to time, I wondered, if there is a big drawback in using RRM instead of ZRM for playing zerg?
btw: I am using the camera location + manually selct my queens for larva injecting, as my keyboard can not handle the rapid fire inject -> jkkkkkkkkkkk So the layerd P controle group will not be missed.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 16 2014 16:43 GMT
#6214
There isn't a huge advantage of having both stop and hold position. Technically there is an advantage to having both so we put it in TheCore, but since you're customizing, go for whatever feels good to you.

Since you've already learned TheCore, learning a different version has significantly diminished returns. I would stick with what you have, but I have heard of someone learning all 3 and changing when playing a different race.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
YoTcA
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany151 Posts
February 16 2014 23:24 GMT
#6215
Ok, thanks for your answer. I think I will just go with the standard hotkey setup for the other two races then, as it really takes some time to get does hotkey setups down, and i am not playing enough for that.

Also i wanted to note, that the TheCore Visualizer sems broken for the german keyboard layout. At least all the hotkeys for the german keys (ö,ä etc) are not displayed. It is not that big a problem, as it is possible to change the keyboard layout in windows to USqwerty, but I do not know if you are aware of this issue.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 17 2014 01:53 GMT
#6216
Wait... YoTcA, you can use the version of TheCore you know now to offrace. It has been specifically designed to do so. Much easier than standard.

Visualizer is broken to some degree. Can't fix it till I learn the language it was coded in.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
maqr
Profile Joined August 2010
4 Posts
February 17 2014 05:01 GMT
#6217
YoTcA, you can use the version of TheCore you know now to offrace


I'm a right-mouse-hand, us-qwerty, default grid, platinum zerg (but I'm not sure if I'll be zerg forever) looking to try out The Core, and I'm not sure which version to choose. One of the things that really appeals to me is being able to play all races with the same hotkey setup.

It seems like I should just learn the 'random' version of The Core to be safe, but it's unclear what the differences actually are between Z/P/T/R. What would be a good reason to use each of the race specific versions over using the random version? Sorry if this has been answered before, but the thread is over 300 pages and I didn't see this in the FAQ.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 17 2014 05:40 GMT
#6218
I think that is an excellent question

You should pick the race you play the most. For 1.0 TP and R are identical. So really, it's a question of how much zerg you play. This will change for TheCore 1.1 (but that is a while off) No matter what you pick you will be able to efficiently play with all races, it's just a matter of how the efficiency leans.

Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
maqr
Profile Joined August 2010
4 Posts
February 17 2014 06:12 GMT
#6219
On February 17 2014 14:40 JaKaTaK wrote:
For 1.0 TP and R are identical.


Could you elaborate on what's different about Z and what the thinking is behind it?

Also, your youtube videos are excellent, I've watched almost everything on the channel today and subscribed

Thanks for all your hard work.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 17 2014 13:49 GMT
#6220
Thanks! I'll keep making them as long as I can. The more views we get, the longer I can make them, so tell your friends

This is a common question. I think I'll make a video and post it up instead of typing it out. Easier to explain that way. Brb
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Prev 1 309 310 311 312 313 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 191
ProTech119
Nina 42
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2179
Shuttle 1177
Snow 74
Dewaltoss 59
Noble 49
Bale 47
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm165
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1092
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor633
Other Games
summit1g8904
JimRising 658
C9.Mang0308
PiGStarcraft279
Mew2King245
ViBE56
ArmadaUGS55
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream95
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta17
• practicex 10
• Response 9
• Letter145
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota215
League of Legends
• Lourlo1207
• Rush439
• Stunt264
Other Games
• Scarra838
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
8h 51m
OSC
17h 51m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 5h
Online Event
1d 6h
FEL
1d 11h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 12h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 14h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.