• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:07
CEST 08:07
KST 15:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202614Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8184 users

[G] TheCore - Advanced Keyboard Layout - Page 310

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 308 309 310 311 312 432 Next
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
January 31 2014 00:13 GMT
#6181
Added it to the description! Sorry about that
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Rationalist
Profile Joined March 2011
3 Posts
February 03 2014 02:52 GMT
#6182
Hi, just started using The Core. Haven't played since WoL and am looking to get back into it. Was a mid-master back in those days. I've always known that my keyboard mechanics were the biggest obstacle to progressing beyond that point and I've wanted to find a better system for a long time, so I'm giving this a try. Seems like a good idea.

I'm using Z-R-M

The first 24 hours have been pretty strange, feels like my left hand has 5 retarded stumps wiggling around mashing the keys for me. The more I play though the more I've noticed some pretty good muscle memory starting to set in for certain things. I've never used camera keys before, so that's very alien to me, but I'm pushing through and forcing myself to use them.

The biggest issue I've had so far is that my fingers are fumbling around trying to find the groups on the top row ("now where the hell did I put those mutas?"). They don't seem to like shifting a half key to the left on the P-O-I row and then a half key back to the right on the 9-0-(-) row, I end up losing my placement entirely and having to find a familiar key on the bottom row somewhere, I might even have to look down to figure it out. I am tilting my keyboard, but If I go much over 30 degrees then my fingers get completely lost trying to figure out why the keys are all diamond shaped instead of squares and how to find the keys that are supposed to be near them. It's like trying to attack diagonally with a rook, it just doesn't work. Not sure if maybe I should've started off with Z-R-L instead, but I'd probably have the same problem if I did. I think I'll be shifting the top row keys to 8-9-0 to put them more in line with the rows below.

I've also had trouble with not having a go to alert key and a deselect unit key. I'll use my space for the alerts but I'm not sure how to come up with another key that functions like escape did, though I'm also trying to tell myself that I should be able to play without that, right?

I'm sure that particular issue has been discussed already, but 310 pages is about 305 pages over my limit for forum reading.

For the most part I just wanted to express my appreciation for the resources and explanations that have been assembled and to share with you the beginning of my fall into finger purgatory. I can't remember a time when I've felt this noobish.
Fhiz
Profile Joined October 2013
361 Posts
February 05 2014 05:31 GMT
#6183
Hey I was wondering, you know the menu in the bottom right corner that has all the commands you can give a unit? Mine just has a "right click to move and left click to select" "and then j to auto attack" is there anyway I can get back the icons for things like, stop, hold, move, patrol etc etc?
girls generation make u feel da heat
rubor
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden19 Posts
February 05 2014 06:39 GMT
#6184
Go to the menu -> gameplay -> untick "Enable Simple Command Card".
slowbacontron
Profile Joined October 2012
United States7722 Posts
February 05 2014 13:23 GMT
#6185
On February 05 2014 15:39 rubor wrote:
Go to the menu -> gameplay -> untick "Enable Simple Command Card".

Thanks, I was wondering that too!
jjakji fan
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 05 2014 15:40 GMT
#6186
Other settings you may not have known about:




Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Liquorshot_852
Profile Joined July 2010
Korea (South)72 Posts
February 05 2014 17:26 GMT
#6187
Hi JaKaTaK, I have utilised the core for a couple weeks now, and got used to it pretty much as of now. but even before switching to the core, I only used max 3 hotkeys for my army, and never have used the camera hotkeys. even after I switched to the core, the same problem persists. could you recommend me of any ways that I could utilize more hotkeys? I am trying, but on a normal ladder game, I just don't have enough mindpower to comprehend the game plus trying to utilize more hotkeys.

Thanks in advance.
uoeahtns
Profile Joined February 2012
52 Posts
February 05 2014 17:57 GMT
#6188
I'm not Jak, but my advice is to just take things slowly. As you play more and more and get more experienced, which hotkeys you use to complete certain actions don't require mindpower, but are simply practiced and reflexive.
BjoernK
Profile Joined April 2012
194 Posts
February 05 2014 21:15 GMT
#6189
Using hotkeys is something that needs to be thought about. Make a plan what you want to be able to do and set your hotkeys accordingly. I personally came up with something that works for me:

9,0 early game OL late game harrass
p hatches
*p queens
l light units
ö (german key right of l) main army
ä (right of ö) air units
ü (right of p) spell casters

this works ok for me.

As for camera hotkeys. Especially from a zerg perspective (but also valid for the other races) it makes sense to use the shift+ keys for you bases. I use shift+l for my main hatch and use the other keys according to the minimap-position of the other hatches.
Liquorshot_852
Profile Joined July 2010
Korea (South)72 Posts
February 05 2014 21:16 GMT
#6190
I just tend to scroll around my main and natural when injecting, and that bothers me a lot. I want to use the camera hotkeys, but I just don't know how I'm supposed to approach it. even if I set the camera locations, I just end up not using them when playing games.
umavfx
Profile Joined September 2012
Sweden11 Posts
February 05 2014 23:08 GMT
#6191
Hey Liquorshot,

Why don´t you try to turn scroll off in the settings, then you are forced to create a new habit, either using the camera hotkeys or clicking the minimap. Once you are used to it, you can re-enable the scrolling for sanity purposes.

Best
Niklas
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 06 2014 00:40 GMT
#6192
Hey liquorshot,

for cameras try this:





For the other stuff umavfx and bjoernK have solid answers. I'm adding "how to use more control groups" to my list of videos to do So subscribe
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
esports_Swag
Profile Joined February 2014
Canada11 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-02-08 22:33:15
February 08 2014 22:22 GMT
#6193
for me the build structure button was bound to tilde key ( ` ) not apostrophe ( ' ) and select army units was bound to the apostrophe, but i think its supposed to be enter. maybe its just me. so is the top left building selection nexus and twilight they're set to tilde as well. it must be my drivers or something. all i had to do was reset it but maybe it was set wrong by deafult, dunno why maybe they look the same? am using PRM
david kim buff oracle plz
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 08 2014 22:38 GMT
#6194
Is your keyboard a US qwerty like this one?

[image loading]
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
esports_Swag
Profile Joined February 2014
Canada11 Posts
February 08 2014 22:47 GMT
#6195
On February 09 2014 07:38 JaKaTaK wrote:
Is your keyboard a US qwerty like this one?


no its a razer with a func. key and macro buttons. i mean it is a qwerty and eveything is the same except that :/ i guess its different firmware or whatever.
david kim buff oracle plz
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 09 2014 05:36 GMT
#6196
hmmm, can you email me the hotkey file with a link to a picture of your keyboard?

thejakatak@gmail.com
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Deleted User 327297
Profile Joined February 2014
3 Posts
February 10 2014 21:24 GMT
#6197
Hey JaKaTaK, I actually independently came to the conclusion that the standard hotkey layout is a great pain point and we should think of changing the interface. Fortunately before I started studying the ergonomics and heatmaps etc. I came across The Core. I think using the thumb is the best part of The Core, Thumb >> Pinky, and it really opens all the keys up for you to use. For reference I am learning the RRM (random, right hand, medium) layout.

I thought it might be helpful to share what key combinations are painful for me. Keep in mind there is so much more about The Core that is positive that I am not mentioning in detail.
shift + 7
7 (I think with enough muscle memory I can get over this)
the shift + = button for free camera
the ' + u combination for making a sensor tower
the ' + m for making engineering
the . key using the middle finger. I thought, depending on the keyboard, the . key for group 0 can be done with the thumb making it a lot more utilizable.

I also learned of the Rapid Keys possibilities, unfortunately since I play random I don't know which keys to change to what. It would help if there was a comprehensive written guide to instruct me on rapid key possibilities.

Another helpful document would be a hotkey chart. The visualiser is cool but I feel it would be faster to learn by simply having a document listing all the hotkeys in a vertical list next to a picture of the hotkeys ingame representation next to it.

But great job on The Core, watching the video of you explaining the history of the Core definitely revealed the depth of thought you guys exhibited to understand the perfect layout. The experimentation you guys did with weird combinations and overlapping keys was genius. I would definitely consider this professional level work (I studied User Interface Design at MIT), you guys should get together and start discovering User Interfaces in even more detail for things besides Starcraft. One suggestion, inspired by your videos, is the interface of a guitar. Or maybe the interface of a car. Or even the interface for a programming language. Or go more abstract and simply map out the User Interface of the Human body (this research settles most other UI designs). There are many interfaces designed and used greatly today that have not been subject to great research.
esports_Swag
Profile Joined February 2014
Canada11 Posts
February 10 2014 21:40 GMT
#6198
Can someone link me to that arcade map that allows you to train on camera hotkeys?
david kim buff oracle plz
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 10 2014 23:39 GMT
#6199
If you're down with the attention to detail that you get with TheCore, you're definitely going to dig this one:





There's also a reddit thread that I'll be watching to answer questions etc. Enjoy :D
http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/1xk8w6/hybrid_graphics_are_back_and_already_being_used/
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
esports_Swag
Profile Joined February 2014
Canada11 Posts
February 11 2014 06:11 GMT
#6200
On February 11 2014 08:39 JaKaTaK wrote:
If you're down with the attention to detail that you get with TheCore, you're definitely going to dig this one:


http://youtu.be/KYXRxx0Rixw



There's also a reddit thread that I'll be watching to answer questions etc. Enjoy :D
http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/1xk8w6/hybrid_graphics_are_back_and_already_being_used/


once i get my new PC i will definitely be using these settings. High gfx is hard on the eyes, low gfx lets you actually play. But going low can have drawbacks. You guys found the perfect solution.Thanks
david kim buff oracle plz
Prev 1 308 309 310 311 312 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 155
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3950
Sharp 417
Mong 74
sorry 27
Noble 9
Icarus 8
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King174
Other Games
summit1g7925
WinterStarcraft634
C9.Mang0290
Sick173
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 34
• StrangeGG 19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki23
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2270
League of Legends
• Lourlo1025
• Stunt400
Other Games
• Shiphtur568
Upcoming Events
OSC
16h 53m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 3h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 10h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 12h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.