• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:15
CEST 15:15
KST 22:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)43Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8911 users

[D] PvZ - Establishing third with Skytoss (viable?) - Page…

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 43 44 45 46 47 48 Next All
HelioSeven
Profile Joined February 2012
United States193 Posts
July 24 2012 02:57 GMT
#881
On July 24 2012 07:07 Shikada wrote:
Sorry for switching the topic a bit, but what do you do when zerg goes for a baneling bust before the mothership is out? I'm not sure what the best response would be.


Silly macro nexus shenanigans aside, if you smell baneling bust, ever, get sentries. In fact, getting a couple sentries at some point not a bad idea in any case. Sure, it's a hunk of gas, but you can always use the extra minerals to econ a bit faster. Even if you don't use the forcefields you have a few guardian shields later on, which always helps. Watch hydras against carriers with GS, it's fun.

A couple of sentries is always good safety against early aggression. Put 'em on a different hotkey, though, sometimes you gotta dance them back while the carriers wreck.
If I smite you, have you been smitten?
Morton
Profile Joined July 2012
United States152 Posts
July 24 2012 15:33 GMT
#882
reading about the idea of zerg denying the 3rd and 4th with heavy ling pressure, is it possible to get out a single carrier early enough to take your bases without screwing over your economy. The reason I ask is that interceptors kill zerglings and banelings extremely fast, and would allow you to easily repel any ling/bling pressure.

I honestly have not attempted this build as my mechanics are crap and I am working on improving over trying out new builds. I really like the idea of pure skytoss though, so I would love to experiment once I can get my macro to an acceptable level.
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
July 24 2012 16:19 GMT
#883
Basically, I send a Zealot and a Void to the third and build one pylon next to the nexus. If they send enough lings (say, 20-ish) to cancel that, I'm out 300 minerals, I've killed a bunch of the lings, and they had to bone their own economy to make that many lings, so I'm fine with the delay. If they send them right when you start it, that means they already made the lings instead of ~10 drones, so you're really fine with losing 300 minerals for free with a cancel. That's the beauty of a fast third--they have to either really commit, or they can't do anything about it because they've been droning.

After the pylon is done, I put a cannon down, then another pylon, then another cannon, then another pylon. You have a minor sim-city for fighting lings where the cannons hug the nexus and 3 pylons form a partial wall next to them. If you get attacked, you can build one more building and block off the cannons, which makes speedlings super cost-inefficient, even while these buildings are 75% done because your first cannon, your zealot, and your Void Ray will do so much damage (even though it's lings). The thing about getting a Carrier is that you have to spend 250 gas on it, and it takes 120 seconds to build. For 150 more gas and 40 more seconds, you could have a Mothership. You can't afford both, so it's better to just get the Mothership because it does a more solid job of defending your third base. Plus, you want it as soon as possible because Mothership energy is a valuable resource which increases over time. More energy means more vortexes to deter timing attacks. It also means more move-out times where you roll out with an army and hunt down bases, then teleport out when the infestors show up (or to defend a base from counter-attacks).

Personally, I have been a lot happier lately with opening 13 Gate in PvZ, so I don't FFE anymore. I don't even want to begin to bring that debate into this thread, but it's worth mentioning because otherwise I would probably post some replays to help. I still take fast thirds or go into heavy stargate/fast mothership play, but I don't do it from the FFE because I prefer to get some stalkers out early to pressure the zerg...I have War3 micro so I might as well use it.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
Morton
Profile Joined July 2012
United States152 Posts
July 24 2012 17:01 GMT
#884
that makes sense. I haven't really had much experience with motherships, but using it for defense seems very solid.



HelioSeven
Profile Joined February 2012
United States193 Posts
July 26 2012 03:48 GMT
#885
On July 25 2012 02:01 Morton wrote:
that makes sense. I haven't really had much experience with motherships, but using it for defense seems very solid.


Yeah, the cloaking is a real boon, even if your opponent brings detection (which can usually be sniped anyway). But it's the build-up of energy that really makes the mothership incredible at defense. Mass recalls and vortexes are worth their weight in gold that early in the game.
If I smite you, have you been smitten?
emaster
Profile Joined August 2011
United States32 Posts
July 27 2012 00:08 GMT
#886
well if you do a +1 2gate zealot push like i do, then no amount of slings are gonna stop a mothership with some +1 zealots underneath it from securing a 3rd.
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-27 01:00:19
July 27 2012 00:59 GMT
#887
This strategy makes me cry, what should I do? I tried a corruptor/ling timing, but it was to no avail (Bad engagement, i had lings get decimated by cannons, then corruptors took tons of fire)
I had a burrowed drone (lol) to deny his fourth, but he got it up anyways because he built cannons before the nexus. I tried to break him at his fourth, but void rays decimate corruptors. I didn't have infestors because I lost them all, and I felt that I needed to attack NOW...it got crushed, and shortly after he just a-moves and wins. A fairly fast game, I got starved out.
Also i lost 80 lings for nothing, which was terrible but not game-ending. It really wasn't close...what should I do differently to attempt to win?

Replay: http://drop.sc/229057

Guy was very mannered, apparently Protoss players are nicer than zergs xD

Thanks!

Edit: I think I felt pressured to attack because I scouted a gateway transition incoming. And I hate archons. I got REALLY lucky and was gonna roach drop his main, but 20 roaches spawned and killed the archons. Didn't help me from losing the game though.
Getting back into sc2 O_o
HelioSeven
Profile Joined February 2012
United States193 Posts
July 27 2012 05:11 GMT
#888
On July 27 2012 09:08 emaster wrote:
well if you do a +1 2gate zealot push like i do, then no amount of slings are gonna stop a mothership with some +1 zealots underneath it from securing a 3rd.


I usually get a slow +1 attack, not throwing any chrono boost on it, but for that very reason. Having some zealot cushion is never really bad against anything, in the early game, and the +1 timing with your third going down is hard for a Zerg to push against. Later on they don't scale so well with the shields upgrades (the way cannons do, for instance), so you gotta balance out that resource usage, but zealots are always a welcome cushion early on.
If I smite you, have you been smitten?
Conai
Profile Joined February 2012
Hong Kong39 Posts
July 27 2012 06:24 GMT
#889
On July 27 2012 09:59 Mavvie wrote:
This strategy makes me cry, what should I do? I tried a corruptor/ling timing, but it was to no avail (Bad engagement, i had lings get decimated by cannons, then corruptors took tons of fire)
I had a burrowed drone (lol) to deny his fourth, but he got it up anyways because he built cannons before the nexus. I tried to break him at his fourth, but void rays decimate corruptors. I didn't have infestors because I lost them all, and I felt that I needed to attack NOW...it got crushed, and shortly after he just a-moves and wins. A fairly fast game, I got starved out.
Also i lost 80 lings for nothing, which was terrible but not game-ending. It really wasn't close...what should I do differently to attempt to win?

Replay: http://drop.sc/229057

Guy was very mannered, apparently Protoss players are nicer than zergs xD

Thanks!

Edit: I think I felt pressured to attack because I scouted a gateway transition incoming. And I hate archons. I got REALLY lucky and was gonna roach drop his main, but 20 roaches spawned and killed the archons. Didn't help me from losing the game though.


Someone pls answer him ; ; I died to this on Daybreak and had never seen any openings to harass....
It all ended when he maxed out, destroyed the rocks, gg

fungals and hydras and transfuse was not enough
gearintherear
emaster
Profile Joined August 2011
United States32 Posts
July 27 2012 07:39 GMT
#890
http://drop.sc/218765

Study that replay, the endgame was played beautifully!

If you can play the game like that, then whoever manages expansions better will win.
trbot
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada142 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-27 17:06:48
July 27 2012 17:01 GMT
#891
On July 27 2012 15:24 Conai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 27 2012 09:59 Mavvie wrote:
This strategy makes me cry, what should I do? I tried a corruptor/ling timing, but it was to no avail (Bad engagement, i had lings get decimated by cannons, then corruptors took tons of fire)
I had a burrowed drone (lol) to deny his fourth, but he got it up anyways because he built cannons before the nexus. I tried to break him at his fourth, but void rays decimate corruptors. I didn't have infestors because I lost them all, and I felt that I needed to attack NOW...it got crushed, and shortly after he just a-moves and wins. A fairly fast game, I got starved out.
Also i lost 80 lings for nothing, which was terrible but not game-ending. It really wasn't close...what should I do differently to attempt to win?

Replay: http://drop.sc/229057

Guy was very mannered, apparently Protoss players are nicer than zergs xD

Thanks!

Edit: I think I felt pressured to attack because I scouted a gateway transition incoming. And I hate archons. I got REALLY lucky and was gonna roach drop his main, but 20 roaches spawned and killed the archons. Didn't help me from losing the game though.


Someone pls answer him ; ; I died to this on Daybreak and had never seen any openings to harass....
It all ended when he maxed out, destroyed the rocks, gg

fungals and hydras and transfuse was not enough


Proactively deny his third while taking a fourth, spreading creep, and getting tons of queens. Prevent him from taking his third until 12-13 minutes, then get hydra corruptor, make a huge push at 15:00, and win...

EDIT: don't forget to engage wherever he has the least cannons. That might be his natural. Otherwise, drop or double-nydus his main. I'd say up until ~15:00 you want pure hydra on the ground and pure corruptor in the air. After that add infestors and control them well (but not too many). If things drag out, you should be able to prevent him from taking a fourth forever by forcing him to engage your army away from cannons. Then after he kills you (at great cost), you remax on whatever will kill him (probably pure corruptor with lings for ground) and push again IMMEDIATELY, before he has a chance to cannon the fourth up. You starve him, he can't make units.
Nyast
Profile Joined November 2010
Belgium554 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-27 18:08:57
July 27 2012 18:08 GMT
#892
Yesterday somebody went for a bust with hydras at around 13'.. using a nydus just in front of my natural ! So creep spread isn't a factor, and he can reinforce directly in your face Found it quite effective First vortex helped to temporize but I didn't have enough units afterwards to hold 40+ hydras.

Fogetaboudit
Profile Joined July 2010
United States232 Posts
July 27 2012 18:19 GMT
#893
On July 28 2012 03:08 Nyast wrote:
Yesterday somebody went for a bust with hydras at around 13'.. using a nydus just in front of my natural ! So creep spread isn't a factor, and he can reinforce directly in your face Found it quite effective First vortex helped to temporize but I didn't have enough units afterwards to hold 40+ hydras.


Yeah I've been SUPER worried about this. Been holding it like 50% of the time but I hardly ever face it so my efficiency and the attackers efficiency have a lot of room to improve.
nGBeast
Profile Joined July 2010
United States914 Posts
July 27 2012 18:24 GMT
#894
Yeah I don't think this is viable anymore, and roaches so fucking good he can just trade roaches endlessly and lol at you
Nihilnovi
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden696 Posts
July 27 2012 18:31 GMT
#895
On July 28 2012 03:24 nGBeast wrote:
Yeah I don't think this is viable anymore, and roaches so fucking good he can just trade roaches endlessly and lol at you


Used this all my pvzs at 900ish masters eu, won all Devo still viable
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
July 27 2012 18:44 GMT
#896
I just think that you can't go FFE into defensive air-only play and expect it to work. The pressure is too little--too late, and you have to rely on static defense so much. I'm still a huge fan of air play and I almost always use Stargate units as part of my composition in PvZ, but I'm much prefering opening 13Gate and pressuring the zerg. In my opinion, it is better to be the bully when you face Zergs. If you start off the game by letting them call the shots, you're screwing yourself over.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
nGBeast
Profile Joined July 2010
United States914 Posts
July 27 2012 19:00 GMT
#897
On July 28 2012 03:31 Nihilnovi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2012 03:24 nGBeast wrote:
Yeah I don't think this is viable anymore, and roaches so fucking good he can just trade roaches endlessly and lol at you


Used this all my pvzs at 900ish masters eu, won all Devo still viable


a 12 min 200 food stephano roach push will shit all over you, it doesn't matter how much static d/void rays you have you will die and lose the base and he's only losing roaches while on 3 bases.
emaster
Profile Joined August 2011
United States32 Posts
July 27 2012 19:14 GMT
#898
lololololololol ^^^^

You do know that mothership cloaks my units right? Good luck stomping over the invisible tight wall with invsible cannons and voidrays behind it with just roaches.
trbot
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada142 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-27 19:21:10
July 27 2012 19:17 GMT
#899
On July 28 2012 04:00 nGBeast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2012 03:31 Nihilnovi wrote:
On July 28 2012 03:24 nGBeast wrote:
Yeah I don't think this is viable anymore, and roaches so fucking good he can just trade roaches endlessly and lol at you


Used this all my pvzs at 900ish masters eu, won all Devo still viable


a 12 min 200 food stephano roach push will shit all over you, it doesn't matter how much static d/void rays you have you will die and lose the base and he's only losing roaches while on 3 bases.


You know, this is one of the things that I fear the absolute least. Absolute bottom of the food chain. I've faced the 12 minute max, and it's just a ridiculously easy hold each time. My mothership cloaks my shit. If you bring overseers, they die instantly. You can't get in, and you either retreat or die. Either way, I go rape your main with 6-8 void rays while you're stuck outside my base doing no damage... Bye bye lair... bye bye spire, hydra den, infestation pit, evo chambers, queens, ...

What -really- shakes my boots is a 200 food hydra push at 14:30. I only hold that 50% of the time. (I'm getting better though; extra cannons sure help.)
blooblooblahblah
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia4163 Posts
July 27 2012 19:40 GMT
#900
On July 28 2012 04:00 nGBeast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 28 2012 03:31 Nihilnovi wrote:
On July 28 2012 03:24 nGBeast wrote:
Yeah I don't think this is viable anymore, and roaches so fucking good he can just trade roaches endlessly and lol at you


Used this all my pvzs at 900ish masters eu, won all Devo still viable


a 12 min 200 food stephano roach push will shit all over you, it doesn't matter how much static d/void rays you have you will die and lose the base and he's only losing roaches while on 3 bases.


nice theorycraft
Ganzi beat me without stim. Ostojiy beat me with a nydus. Siphonn beat me with probes. Revival beat my sentry-immortal all-in.
Prev 1 43 44 45 46 47 48 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
Serral vs herO
Solar vs Shino
Maru vs Clem
SHIN vs GgMaChine
IntoTheiNu 654
SteadfastSC210
TaKeTV 188
ComeBackTV 153
LamboSC2118
Rex63
EnkiAlexander 13
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
13:00
King of the Hill #263
EmpressLilyy11
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 210
ProTech141
LamboSC2 118
Rex 63
BRAT_OK 9
IndyStarCraft 0
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 36602
Shuttle 3126
Horang2 935
Bisu 931
Jaedong 726
Mini 609
EffOrt 556
Light 460
BeSt 348
Soma 344
[ Show more ]
firebathero 340
Hyuk 320
Stork 307
Snow 169
Zeus 161
Rush 155
Last 150
ggaemo 147
ZerO 142
Pusan 91
Leta 83
hero 69
Killer 56
sorry 56
Sea.KH 49
Mong 45
Sharp 44
Mind 42
Bale 28
Shinee 27
Aegong 27
Shine 25
ToSsGirL 24
Trap 23
soO 23
Sexy 22
Terrorterran 20
NotJumperer 19
Free 14
PianO 13
HiyA 10
JulyZerg 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Sacsri 7
Icarus 7
Noble 7
zelot 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5799
qojqva1681
Dendi862
420jenkins90
Fuzer 70
League of Legends
Reynor108
Counter-Strike
x6flipin424
markeloff162
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2222
crisheroes975
XaKoH 150
Other Games
gofns39455
singsing2161
olofmeister1477
B2W.Neo954
Mlord252
DeMusliM185
Livibee178
Liquid`VortiX122
Hui .117
Mew2King101
ArmadaUGS92
QueenE88
Chillindude13
Railgan12
ZerO(Twitch)12
fpsfer 0
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream130
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 64
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• intothetv
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix5
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 1809
League of Legends
• Jankos2232
• Nemesis979
• TFBlade697
Other Games
• WagamamaTV189
Upcoming Events
OSC
10h 45m
Stellar Fest
23h 45m
OSC
1d 8h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 20h
Online Event
1d 21h
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.