• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:56
CEST 11:56
KST 18:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8166 users

[G] Improving on one's own - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 All
Fencar
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States2694 Posts
June 04 2012 08:01 GMT
#61
On April 23 2012 01:54 ShatterZer0 wrote:
Why steal a pro build order? Just make one yourself if you have enough time on your hands to be practicing it a dozen times on a build order tester. Better yet, don't test it. Ladder it and see where it's funky.

Make a style for yourself

Don't justify things with "Because MC does it", justify it with your own strategic sense and logic!

I can testify that this works, but don't go too off the rails.

My own example is from TvP. I would go 1rax FE into 4rax Stim/Shield marine/marauder push that hit earlier than a lot of timings and often would outright win the game, which was awesome. I stopped doing it around diamond, when I dabbled in a variety of builds, but I could probably do that build again if I wanted to.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
June 05 2012 16:15 GMT
#62
On June 04 2012 12:20 Belial88 wrote:
Show nested quote +

I strongly disagree with both of you.
@ShatterZer0: First off, you simply do not have the time or experience to make up your own build orders that will keep up with build order pros came up with. Plus as I already stated, if you do something different everygame you're going to make extremely different mistakes everygame and you'll have an insanely hard time fixing those mistakes.
Even pros like Stephano who supposedly have their own styles all learned from other pros until they were good enough to justify such deviations. Why would you try to reinvent the wheel?

Im an EU Bronze level player, and I have found that Build orders and pros replays don't apply at this level.

I follow building groupings, and play in a style that suits me - this way I UNDERSTAND why I need to do something rather than doing it by memory.

I don't want to fall into the trap of seeing PvZ (for example) and my brain ticking...9 Pylon (Scout) 13 Forge etc etc. I want to think, okay dependent on what the Zerg is doing when I scout i'll switch my build order. FFE is a very open build and if I see early pool, I cannon up and get that gateway down and chrono out that Zealot to wall off vs his lings. If I see hatch first I can match him by taking an expansion before I pop down a forge so I can keep up with him in terms of macro.



Listen to decaf. He's much smarter and better than you, and he's telling you that pros are much smarter and better than he'll ever be. If your build order doesn't look similar to a pros, then 100% you are fucking up. The pros have played more than 1000x games as you, you can guarantee that there isn't any build that you can come up with that they haven't done already.

100% - if the pros don't do something (like go infestors in ZvZ before hydras), it's because it's bad. You just are too low level to know why yet. I just learned at about 1000 points masters how much better hydras are than infestors in ZvP and ZvZ.




As always decaf, great guide. Your stuff is always completely top notch, and I hope one day my guides will be viewed as half as good as yours. I'm a 1100 points masters (random mid-masters scrub ;/ ) and I took a lot away from it.

Your bit about watching streams, can be applied to posting to forums (the reason I'm not in code s right now -_- ), reddit (the worst of all), and watching tournaments (i try to only watch match-ups that I'm currently questioning or struggling with, and only in the gsl, and in fast forward, as well as macro timings of zvp). All this stuff just kills your ranking - there's a reason you always hear the pros on SOTG (yea another horrible rank killer, but i listen to it at work on recording) like nony, nestea, destiny, naniwa, incontrol, idra, all say "i didnt see that game" or "i heard about it but didn't watch it" - it's because they are busy playing. You will very, very rarely see top players post on this forum, because they know to play more. Just perusing a couple series of GSL, and posting on TL for replay analysis (something thats really helpful actually) is all you need.

One thing though - I try to watch all of my replays, win or lose (unless it was a stupidly easy win), to see if maybe I won because he didn't push out, if I lost because I didn't push out, and macro benchmarking. I don't think it's bad to watch 100% of your replays, you can always 8x through them, and just check out the questionable parts. The worst is when you rage over a game and refuse to watch it.

Another tip I'd add though - saying glhf/gg. I'm seriously the most bm person on b.net, I'm a huge rager, I offensively gg and everything. But I decided to start saying that stuff just to try it out, and I realized very quickly that it helps you log in more games. It lets you get over losses much quicker and keep playing, it just lets you play with less tilt... you don't need to be GM to do it (every time someone says 'glhf' to me i'm so tempted to just say 'fuck you'), just robotically do it, and walla, your gaming will increase as will your rank.

That's too much appreciation x:
I actually thought about adding the stuff about teamliquid as well, because it really consumes a lot of time, but I thought better not tell people to sturp lurking TL 24/7 on TL. Don't think mods would appreciate it~ But yea, all those tasks that actually do nothing else but waste time - watching streams, browsing TL or doing whatever might as well be spent on improving (at least if it's time you're kind of investing in sc2 anyway).

I always gl hf but I never gg. That's simply how I do it, if you go into a game and simply gl hf you rarely ever get tilted, like you said. I used to rage occasionally, too, but one of my sc2 friends got banned for it so I quit raging and turned into a gl hf robot. But I really don't wanna start one of those useless "to gg or not to gg" discussions so I'm not gonna add it to the OP.

And about the replay thing, I still believe watching 100% of your replays is a waste of time. If you know why you lost, you really don't need to watch it, the chance of maybe finding something you might improve on is so small, you're better off starting anothe game.

Just for information, because you seem to enjoy my guides, it'll take a couple of months before I can write my next guide simply due to the fact that I don't get to play a whole lot - my tendonitis still is not cured, I've been having it for 3 months now - 3 months of not playing TT My next guide will be TvX anyways, oh well. The terran section is lacking anyways
MilExo
Profile Joined September 2011
South Africa139 Posts
June 11 2012 04:41 GMT
#63
@decaf: Regarding mechanics and spamming your macro cycle, would you recommend tabbed production or separate production? I really love the guide and want to make sure that I get the right habits down when practicing. As a protoss player I normally have separate hotkeys for Nexus, Gateways, Robo/Stargate, Forges but have read that some people recommend just doing Nexus/Upgrades and Production as two separate control groups as this makes the macro cycle easier. Your thoughts on this?
zmansman17
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2567 Posts
June 11 2012 05:08 GMT
#64
This is a Great guide. However, 2 seasons ago when Terran was starting to have trouble as a race, I opted to learn how to play Protoss. I used 1v1 obs for about 30 games and then took to ladder on another account. In only a few days I was able to hit rank 1 master Protoss (same point value as my Terran). While that may not be the experience of everyone, I do recommend testing the waters in 1v1 obs before purchasing another account or using your first account.
♞ - His EKG is flattening get me a defib stat! Prepped and Ready! - ♞
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
June 11 2012 09:57 GMT
#65
On June 11 2012 13:41 MilExo wrote:
@decaf: Regarding mechanics and spamming your macro cycle, would you recommend tabbed production or separate production? I really love the guide and want to make sure that I get the right habits down when practicing. As a protoss player I normally have separate hotkeys for Nexus, Gateways, Robo/Stargate, Forges but have read that some people recommend just doing Nexus/Upgrades and Production as two separate control groups as this makes the macro cycle easier. Your thoughts on this?

I'm sorry, I'm completely clueless when it comes to protoss TT I've played only like 3 games or so to show a fellow zerg how easy it is to all in with that race lol. Maybe someone more experienced with the protoss race can answer your question?
All I can say is that as a terran player I think hotkeying raxes, facs and ports individually is better than tabbing thru them. I guess both works though, since Mvp uses the individual hotkey setup and MKP tabs thru it so it's just a matter of practice. Something that's simply a good habit though is having both ebays and armories on one hotkey and tab thru those, since you don't need them that often so you don't waste much time tabbing thru things. I guess that applies to your Nexus/forge thing, right?

Btw, I'm finally coming back a bit from my hand injury. Haven't been able to play for 3-4 months and on day 2 of playing again I already defeated a GM player ^.^(the game only took 5 minutes, because I countered him perfectly, but oh well). My tendonitis is still there, but I think it'll go away soon. Prepare for more guides as I heal up~
scrub96
Profile Joined August 2010
United States76 Posts
June 11 2012 16:23 GMT
#66
I am not familiar with the build order test map you listed. I cannot seem to find a good one on the NA server. Is there a link to a map site with the specific map you use (orions?).
9-BiT
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
United States1089 Posts
June 11 2012 17:47 GMT
#67
Scrub, YABOT is the typical one. It has one for most commonly played maps.
kwark_uk: @father_sc learn to play maybe?
DAKnockout
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany3 Posts
June 21 2012 22:00 GMT
#68
Thanks a lot, this has helped me improving much quicker, though it can be hard to keep up the discipline at times
Prev 1 2 3 4 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech57
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 713
Jaedong 466
Bisu 388
Horang2 360
Zeus 359
Larva 303
Pusan 118
Mind 105
Killer 87
ggaemo 75
[ Show more ]
Hyun 70
Barracks 59
scan(afreeca) 55
sorry 47
Bale 41
Sharp 34
Yoon 32
NotJumperer 32
Sacsri 24
Hm[arnc] 21
Shinee 14
Noble 9
Dota 2
febbydoto98
League of Legends
JimRising 418
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1188
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King84
Other Games
summit1g7875
ceh9650
Happy355
crisheroes207
Sick174
dupreeh113
Pyrionflax102
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream39
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 22
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast8
• LUISG 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2283
League of Legends
• Jankos1164
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
5m
Soma vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 1614
StarCastTV_EN31
INu's Battles
1h 5m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
14h 5m
Patches Events
1d 6h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.