• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:06
CEST 17:06
KST 00:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9604 users

[G] Improving on one's own - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
April 20 2012 11:57 GMT
#21
On April 20 2012 11:23 Raymano wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2012 21:24 decaf wrote:


Terran hotkeys I picked IMMvp's set. I know many people say pick what suits you the most, but honestly, if IMMvp managed to get that good with the way he hotkeys it's proven it's possible. Just get used to it and it is what "suits" you. I don't believe there's better hotkey layouts, they're all the same (unless you fuck them up on purpose).

.


what's MVP's hotkey layout? im really interested =D

Basically it looks like this in the midgame:
1, 2 army
3 raxes
4 facs
5 starports
6 CCs
7 ebays (not sure if he does it but I do)

Mvp has actually very few army hotkeys, most of the time his main army isn't even hotkeyed if you watch closely, he will have dropships on there or something like that.
In matchups I don't use all facilities like TvP or with mech I do 1-3 army and 4raxes, 5ports for instance.
dotCom
Profile Joined April 2012
United States3 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-20 17:25:19
April 20 2012 17:25 GMT
#22
Hi decaf, very good guide! One question about mechanics, how did you get better at being precise with your mouse? Out of curiosity, what is your DPI set to? A lot of people have some insane high DPI and I am not even sure how they can click so well -.-

I've tried 1600 dpi with the windows settings on 6, but can't seem to be very accurate. I would like to play around there, but right now I seem to have good control @ 1200-1300 DPI.

Thanks!
NoBanMeAgain
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
United States194 Posts
April 20 2012 17:32 GMT
#23
I totally agree with this thread! There are so many things you can do at once to improve. I don't think you have to work on everything at once but focusing on one thing at atime is what really helped me. Im a 1v1 silver league Terran player. Lately ive been on a 12/15 game win streak. Large part is due to upgrades. I was terrible at getting my units upgraded. But lately i have decided to fucus on getting 3-3 as early as i can. Now i am focusing on trying to expand earlier while not stopping scv production.

Very well written!
'Widow mines will split open the earth, releasing the fiery bats of hell. The skies will grow black with the shadows of the medivacs, and they shall see no light but the harsh exhaust of afterburners. MajOr-16:1
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
April 20 2012 18:19 GMT
#24
On April 21 2012 02:25 dotCom wrote:
Hi decaf, very good guide! One question about mechanics, how did you get better at being precise with your mouse? Out of curiosity, what is your DPI set to? A lot of people have some insane high DPI and I am not even sure how they can click so well -.-

I've tried 1600 dpi with the windows settings on 6, but can't seem to be very accurate. I would like to play around there, but right now I seem to have good control @ 1200-1300 DPI.

Thanks!

Hey,
my dpi is set to 1800, on windows I got 6/11 and ingame I got 51% (my screen has 24 inches). I used to have about 81% with higher dpi a few months ago, reducing that insane speed helped me being more precise quite a bit. It didn't even take me long to get used to it, because it felt so natural, like only a couple of games. I think you should play at the highest speed you're comfortable at, if it's too fast, reduce it. 1200dpi sounds fine, too (I wouldn't go any lower, though).
9-BiT
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
United States1089 Posts
April 21 2012 05:53 GMT
#25
I'd like to ask a question to expand on your concept of practice partners more.
I'm a gold Toss who just switched to Terran. I think I am capable of doing what you have mentioned, but I'm not sure if I can get someone that's about my level in Terran. Do you think it's better to play people your level, or do you think that playing against masters would be beneficial? The guide is great btw thanks.
kwark_uk: @father_sc learn to play maybe?
oZe
Profile Joined January 2011
Sweden492 Posts
April 21 2012 06:48 GMT
#26
On April 21 2012 02:25 dotCom wrote:
Hi decaf, very good guide! One question about mechanics, how did you get better at being precise with your mouse? Out of curiosity, what is your DPI set to? A lot of people have some insane high DPI and I am not even sure how they can click so well -.-

I've tried 1600 dpi with the windows settings on 6, but can't seem to be very accurate. I would like to play around there, but right now I seem to have good control @ 1200-1300 DPI.

Thanks!


On 1920x1200 resolution I would recomend 5000 CPI. Might take you a few days to adapt. Most people who use my computer think I am insane. Also you _HAVE_ to read and apply this. http://donewmouseaccel.blogspot.se/2010/03/markc-windows-7-mouse-acceleration-fix.html

Because in windows there is a bug where you cannot turn off acceleration by turning off acceleration. Unless you apply the fix above.
The worst kinds of organized crime are religion & government.
mothergoose729
Profile Joined December 2010
United States666 Posts
April 21 2012 07:31 GMT
#27
Your guide makes a lot of sense for someone who is already good at the game. Doing what you described is great for taking a person hanging around in platinum or diamond and helping them to go up a league.
Salivanth
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Australia1071 Posts
April 21 2012 07:56 GMT
#28
On April 21 2012 14:53 9-BiT wrote:
I'd like to ask a question to expand on your concept of practice partners more.
I'm a gold Toss who just switched to Terran. I think I am capable of doing what you have mentioned, but I'm not sure if I can get someone that's about my level in Terran. Do you think it's better to play people your level, or do you think that playing against masters would be beneficial? The guide is great btw thanks.


Actually, the best practice partner for you would probably be a Platinum player, if you have the choice. You want a player who usually beats you, but not always: You'll learn more from a Platinum than getting your ass constantly handed to you by a Master player. Gold over Master if those are your choices though.
<@Wikt> so you are one of those nega-fans <@Wikt> that hates the company that makes a game and everything they stand for <@Wikt> but still plays the game <@Wikt> (like roughly 30% of blizzard's player base, maybe much more...)
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
April 21 2012 08:52 GMT
#29
On April 21 2012 14:53 9-BiT wrote:
I'd like to ask a question to expand on your concept of practice partners more.
I'm a gold Toss who just switched to Terran. I think I am capable of doing what you have mentioned, but I'm not sure if I can get someone that's about my level in Terran. Do you think it's better to play people your level, or do you think that playing against masters would be beneficial? The guide is great btw thanks.

By the time you should be looking for practice partners you already improved a bunch, people underestimated how much of a boost practicing a build order in a relieved environment actually gives. If you always know what step comes next up to 10 minutes and then know how the mid and late game should look like in general (how much production you can support) you already are at masters level (if you don't supply block yourself every 10 seconds and have some grasp at micro). If you are satisfied with what you do in those build order test maps go get them practice partners (if you figure you didn't know your build well enough just go back to the build order map and practice it a little more).
Just try it out, go for a diamond guy and see how well you can do. Then get a masters guy. I wouldn't go lower than diamond though, because people in the lower leagues don't play builds you can accout for.

The only thing you need to worry about is cheese, because that takes a little more experience to fend off and you will get a few losses from that against lesser players. But just stick to what the pro does, copy expand timings, movement of units, build order etc.
Gomox
Profile Joined December 2010
32 Posts
April 21 2012 09:08 GMT
#30
Great guide I have one question though.Would you recommend to copy the timing of the 3rd for example even though it really depends on a lot of things (for example if the opponent expands a lot, makes pressure...)? I'd really like to see an example of a stolen build so I know what you write down and how you do it.
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
April 21 2012 09:33 GMT
#31
On April 21 2012 18:08 Gomox wrote:
Great guide I have one question though.Would you recommend to copy the timing of the 3rd for example even though it really depends on a lot of things (for example if the opponent expands a lot, makes pressure...)? I'd really like to see an example of a stolen build so I know what you write down and how you do it.

No, I filter out mistakes that occur in the replay. If the pro's macro slips and he takes his expo at 700 instead of at 400 minerals I'm not gonna copy that.
Added an example to the OP under the Pick one build order for that matchup from a well-established pro-section.
Gomox
Profile Joined December 2010
32 Posts
April 21 2012 10:54 GMT
#32
Don't you think that it limits your gameplay and prevents a reactionary game style if you copy a build up until the 10 minute mark? Or do you use these building just as goals that you want to reach? Like: Ok, he attacked me early. However, I still know that I want to get 3 gates and a robo down.
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-21 16:59:31
April 21 2012 16:49 GMT
#33
On April 21 2012 19:54 Gomox wrote:
Don't you think that it limits your gameplay and prevents a reactionary game style if you copy a build up until the 10 minute mark? Or do you use these building just as goals that you want to reach? Like: Ok, he attacked me early. However, I still know that I want to get 3 gates and a robo down.

Of course, if you scout something like a roach rush with your hellions you want to make a marauder asap and throw down a bunker. Generally those builds account for most of the things plus most people play standard anyways, because there's a reason why certain strategies are standard.
If you scout something significant you gotta deviate your build if it doesn't accout for it already. Just be smart about what you do. If going back to your build is the rigtht solution after fending off such a roach rush (for instance) then do it, if you can win the game right now then do that.
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
April 21 2012 17:18 GMT
#34
I think you're definitely on the right track when you talk about choosing a matchup to focus on. I personally despise ladder practice simply because you can't choose the matchup. It's much better to spend a few hours straight focusing on one matchup at a time, which is why it's so important to stay good mannered when you ladder and ask the skilled players that you face for tips / practice.
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
Serge89
Profile Joined May 2011
Belgium38 Posts
April 21 2012 17:28 GMT
#35
Well nice guide ty ! I just got a question. I, myself, improve on my own too by only doing one or two builds per matchup and react properly.
My main problem i think is my apm. At the start of the game my apm is huge cause i know well my build and i spam but midgame i got smtgh like 80-90 apm which i find really low (High diamond). Do you have some advices or tricks to improve this ?
decaf
Profile Joined October 2010
Austria1797 Posts
April 22 2012 10:54 GMT
#36
On April 22 2012 02:28 Serge89 wrote:
Well nice guide ty ! I just got a question. I, myself, improve on my own too by only doing one or two builds per matchup and react properly.
My main problem i think is my apm. At the start of the game my apm is huge cause i know well my build and i spam but midgame i got smtgh like 80-90 apm which i find really low (High diamond). Do you have some advices or tricks to improve this ?

The only way to up your apm is by playing a ton. If you know your build really well you don't have to spend time on thinking about the next step. If you have the entire game mapped out in your head you can focus on following that map as quickly as possible. Just stay focused and try to get useful actions inbetween the actions needed to play your build order. If you send your SCV to build a CC, cycle through your buildings, check minimap, try to stack SCVs on close mineral patches whatever.
SeriouR
Profile Joined November 2010
Spain622 Posts
April 22 2012 11:41 GMT
#37
Thank you very much for this :D I'm going to work like this and comment on the results
Trance music makes the fairys dance
Sup3rior
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden442 Posts
April 22 2012 12:01 GMT
#38
I think though that u should watch every replay, atleast where you lost.. You will ALWAYS find stuff to improve,that you wouldnt have found if u didnt watch it.. Nice guide though,. really!
HELLO!!! lol! :D
DawN883
Profile Joined November 2011
Sweden558 Posts
April 22 2012 12:12 GMT
#39
Really really nice writeup!
If the dead are not raised, Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die
unit
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States2621 Posts
April 22 2012 12:44 GMT
#40
my biggest problem with this is PvZ as it feels like all the code S players do is just 2base allin the zergs rather than go for macro play :/
that said it's kinda hard overall for me to find replays of really good players in sc2

bw was a lot easier on that due to the replays bar on the left side of teamliquid
where do you suggest i find some replays (specifically of PvZ macro play or PvP in general)
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech135
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5210
Bisu 2988
Soulkey 1614
Jaedong 727
EffOrt 612
Horang2 587
Mini 557
Larva 384
ZerO 296
actioN 256
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 242
Yoon 143
Mind 108
sorry 92
Sharp 83
Dewaltoss 81
hero 73
Barracks 73
Shinee 73
Pusan 57
Snow 54
Hyun 42
Bale 41
ToSsGirL 28
Trap 20
scan(afreeca) 19
Sacsri 15
Rock 14
NaDa 13
Terrorterran 13
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
zelot 8
Noble 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5686
qojqva2556
Dendi1194
420jenkins164
Counter-Strike
fl0m2369
Fnx 630
x6flipin231
Other Games
hiko948
Liquid`RaSZi842
B2W.Neo520
Lowko366
crisheroes299
DeMusliM280
Livibee196
XBOCT192
Liquid`VortiX187
QueenE98
Mew2King45
ZerO(Twitch)20
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream32
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 65
• mYiSmile130
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 48
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV702
League of Legends
• Nemesis3145
• TFBlade548
• Noizen143
Other Games
• Shiphtur308
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
8h 54m
Patches Events
1d
The PondCast
1d 18h
INu's Battles
1d 19h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.