• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:43
CEST 18:43
KST 01:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)57Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Fantasy returning? ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8316 users

[D] PvZ Beating Stephano Style Roaches - Page 60

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 58 59 60 61 62 78 Next
Please have some semblance of an idea of what you're talking about.
Markwerf
Profile Joined March 2010
Netherlands3728 Posts
April 09 2012 23:49 GMT
#1181
On April 10 2012 06:23 Skyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2012 05:36 Treehead wrote:
On April 10 2012 05:24 Skyro wrote:
On April 10 2012 05:15 Treehead wrote:
On April 10 2012 05:01 Skyro wrote:
On April 10 2012 04:26 the p00n wrote:
On April 10 2012 04:19 Treehead wrote:
For those who insist that FFE into early Stargate with one void/phoenixes is the way to play against this style, how much damage do your phoenixes typically need to do so that your phoenix harass catches you up appropriately to compensate for the slower third (like the 10:30 from the day9 daily).


That depends on how many phoenixes you make. I personally just make 1 phoenix for scouting, and 1 void to prevent early pushes. I don't intend to do much damage at all, it's just for safety.


I highly recommend you make 5 phoenix after your initial VR and try to do as much damage as possible if you are playing a 3rd base macro style (priority should be queens and then drones). You will have much more success this way. The only time I would not make the phoenixes is if I were trying to fake-out my opponent to make them think I was going for a passive 3-base macro style but instead go for a mass gateway push.


I mean, yeah - obviously if you can hurt the zerg you want to. What I'm trying to get at here is whether the amount of damage you *need* to do not to die to roach spam/roach hydra as you take your third is on an order of magnitude which is attainable without your opponent messing up. The effectiveness of this play tends to vary from game to game, so I was just looking to see if anyone has a sense of "ok, I killed two queens" - that's nice, but is it enough to establish a third if he is going to get aggressive when I throw it down?


What do you want me to say? If zerg plays perfect you will be behind, but VR/Phoenixes are highly micro-able so you should be able to do good damage vs equally skilled opponents. A lot of people get all bent out of shape that omg stephano is unbeatable etc. etc. but guess what you're not playing stephano on ladder. You're playing people much much less skilled and you're going to be able to do enough damage to justify the cost more often than not.

And the reason you prioritize queens is to mess up his larve injects. So if you killed 2 out of 3 queens + whatever extra damage from drones + OLs yeah I'd say you are in good shape to grab your 3rd and survive the follow-up push. If they were prepared and made extra queens and you killed 2 out of 6 queens and he didn't miss a beat on injects, then yeah, you're behind.


What I'm proposing is answerable if you've experimented with it. I'm not asking a question that's anything like "how do you beat stephano as a bronze level protoss?" If you haven't experimented with it, you don't have to - the question wasn't directed at you specifically. I just thought it was a reasonable question and that someone who has opened stargate a lot would want to be able to answer. I can do the macro part of it just fine and come up with the number of units each side can have as the third is going down - but then if I suck at forcefielding (as has been pointed to many, many times in this thread) I can't really take those counts and say "look, this isn't stable".

Therefore, I put my suggestion to the community. Feel free to ignore it and I'll wait til I'm better to figure out the answer if the question is still there at that point.

Edit: And if I am to take from your post that making 6 queens instead of 3 generally is adequate to protect from phoenixes - then isn't the phoenix harassment simply adding on an cost effective adaptation zergs have to do?


The amount of "damage" you need to do is not easy to quantify, however a good point of reference however is that up until 7 mins or so, worker count on both sides is essentially even (~40 workers), and between 7-8 mins Zergs really start to power drones past this mark, as they have the larve and resources to do so. At 8 mins, you're looking at something like ~45 probes to ~60 drones (which is where you would stop if you want to max on roaches and break a protoss 3rd). Every full inject cycle you delay you essentially reduce larve (and workers) by 4. Every spore means 1 less drone, and of course every drone you kill also means 1 less drone. For example you kill 2 out of 3 queens and force 3 spores (1 at each base)? That's roughly 10 drones, which should help you catch up a bit in eco, though you probably still need to do more damage than that since you spent significant resources going stargate units. Like I said, hard to quantify specifically.

And it's not as easy as making extra queens. Zergs don't want to make extra queens, and you could possibly kill those queens as well with good micro. It all depends on so many factors, but like I said the numbers above are a sort of reference point you can use in your head.

edit: I feel that if your goal was to go FFE into a 9-10min 3rd then stargate is the way to go. It's quite hard to force many units out of a robo or twilight opening unless you spend significant resources to do so. Although stargate you also spend significant resources, with good micro you shouldn't lose any of those units so it is not as bad. Stargate units also gives you perfect scouting to see the angles of attack which is very important, and also hedges you a bit vs. roach into mutas switches. Also I feel if you have the micro for it making 2-3 stalkers from your initial gate to go harass the zerg to force lings is also a low cost, low risk way to force units instead of drones.


If your mechanics are good I think stargate always pays itself off. You force spores, interrupt their injecting and are practically garanteed at least 1-2 ovie kills with potential for quite a bit more damage. I think the problem is just that to put those stargate units effectively to work agianst a roach push you need great phoenix control which comes on top of the macro and specifically forcefield micro. It's really difficult to multitask that all and i've rarely seen even the pro's do it well so for most realisitic purposes straight robo is probably better.

Overall i think the 9-10 min expands where you scout first are much more reliable. 7min ish 3rd may be better agianst the exact stephano build but i don't think it's safe if zerg happened to take gas faster. Some zergs still do weird shit like 3 base into ling style aggression and that kind of stuff is just hard to handle if you get a third before you're sentry energy is up.

As for stalker aggression, i think it's generally not worth. You're tremendously delaying tech and your sentry energy buildup to do so and on most maps you really won't do any damage with it. They already have their initial 4 lings and just a a couple more will do to repel the stalkers if they are good with creep spread. Only on maps where you can expect to do some good damage like korhal compound i would do it but i all-in there anyways.
Bill Murray
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States9292 Posts
April 10 2012 06:23 GMT
#1182
I feel like triple robo is the way to go here
hold on, let me get my replays

+ Show Spoiler +
jk hehehehe
I rarely FFE, to be honest. I open 2 gateways.


User was warned for this post
University of Kentucky Basketball #1
-Exalt-
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States972 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-10 06:56:14
April 10 2012 06:53 GMT
#1183
Here's a rep (mid-highish master MMR) vs a zerg that was maxed at the 12-13 minute mark but i think he made too many drones. Regardless, if you're at this level or below copy my build to deal with this mass roach style just fine.
http://drop.sc/157367

Basically, I get an extremely fast third;
-sometimes I fake a 4 gate zealot pressure which delays it 30 seconds or so
-otherwise it's robo first then 3 gates, expand when WG is done and use sentries/immortals/stalkers to defend early roaches The robo first version should get the 3rd up at 7:50-8:00. At this time, especially if you did some early zealot/ stalker pressure, the zerg will just be saturing his bases fully so you don't have to worry about aggression. This gives you time to power up, saturate your own third, and match the zergs economy.

Important things to note: Make sure you get blink at a good time. If he flys mutas into your base with no blink it's gg. Late game I go double forge (I use a lot of chrono on upgrades, they're so underrated in PvZ) and mass stalker and 3-4 colossus. I was maxxed at around 15:30. Taking a 4th behind it and getting a warp prism to deny outward bases.
Let it Raine
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada1245 Posts
April 10 2012 07:03 GMT
#1184
On April 10 2012 08:49 Markwerf wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2012 06:23 Skyro wrote:
On April 10 2012 05:36 Treehead wrote:
On April 10 2012 05:24 Skyro wrote:
On April 10 2012 05:15 Treehead wrote:
On April 10 2012 05:01 Skyro wrote:
On April 10 2012 04:26 the p00n wrote:
On April 10 2012 04:19 Treehead wrote:
For those who insist that FFE into early Stargate with one void/phoenixes is the way to play against this style, how much damage do your phoenixes typically need to do so that your phoenix harass catches you up appropriately to compensate for the slower third (like the 10:30 from the day9 daily).


That depends on how many phoenixes you make. I personally just make 1 phoenix for scouting, and 1 void to prevent early pushes. I don't intend to do much damage at all, it's just for safety.


I highly recommend you make 5 phoenix after your initial VR and try to do as much damage as possible if you are playing a 3rd base macro style (priority should be queens and then drones). You will have much more success this way. The only time I would not make the phoenixes is if I were trying to fake-out my opponent to make them think I was going for a passive 3-base macro style but instead go for a mass gateway push.


I mean, yeah - obviously if you can hurt the zerg you want to. What I'm trying to get at here is whether the amount of damage you *need* to do not to die to roach spam/roach hydra as you take your third is on an order of magnitude which is attainable without your opponent messing up. The effectiveness of this play tends to vary from game to game, so I was just looking to see if anyone has a sense of "ok, I killed two queens" - that's nice, but is it enough to establish a third if he is going to get aggressive when I throw it down?


What do you want me to say? If zerg plays perfect you will be behind, but VR/Phoenixes are highly micro-able so you should be able to do good damage vs equally skilled opponents. A lot of people get all bent out of shape that omg stephano is unbeatable etc. etc. but guess what you're not playing stephano on ladder. You're playing people much much less skilled and you're going to be able to do enough damage to justify the cost more often than not.

And the reason you prioritize queens is to mess up his larve injects. So if you killed 2 out of 3 queens + whatever extra damage from drones + OLs yeah I'd say you are in good shape to grab your 3rd and survive the follow-up push. If they were prepared and made extra queens and you killed 2 out of 6 queens and he didn't miss a beat on injects, then yeah, you're behind.


What I'm proposing is answerable if you've experimented with it. I'm not asking a question that's anything like "how do you beat stephano as a bronze level protoss?" If you haven't experimented with it, you don't have to - the question wasn't directed at you specifically. I just thought it was a reasonable question and that someone who has opened stargate a lot would want to be able to answer. I can do the macro part of it just fine and come up with the number of units each side can have as the third is going down - but then if I suck at forcefielding (as has been pointed to many, many times in this thread) I can't really take those counts and say "look, this isn't stable".

Therefore, I put my suggestion to the community. Feel free to ignore it and I'll wait til I'm better to figure out the answer if the question is still there at that point.

Edit: And if I am to take from your post that making 6 queens instead of 3 generally is adequate to protect from phoenixes - then isn't the phoenix harassment simply adding on an cost effective adaptation zergs have to do?


The amount of "damage" you need to do is not easy to quantify, however a good point of reference however is that up until 7 mins or so, worker count on both sides is essentially even (~40 workers), and between 7-8 mins Zergs really start to power drones past this mark, as they have the larve and resources to do so. At 8 mins, you're looking at something like ~45 probes to ~60 drones (which is where you would stop if you want to max on roaches and break a protoss 3rd). Every full inject cycle you delay you essentially reduce larve (and workers) by 4. Every spore means 1 less drone, and of course every drone you kill also means 1 less drone. For example you kill 2 out of 3 queens and force 3 spores (1 at each base)? That's roughly 10 drones, which should help you catch up a bit in eco, though you probably still need to do more damage than that since you spent significant resources going stargate units. Like I said, hard to quantify specifically.

And it's not as easy as making extra queens. Zergs don't want to make extra queens, and you could possibly kill those queens as well with good micro. It all depends on so many factors, but like I said the numbers above are a sort of reference point you can use in your head.

edit: I feel that if your goal was to go FFE into a 9-10min 3rd then stargate is the way to go. It's quite hard to force many units out of a robo or twilight opening unless you spend significant resources to do so. Although stargate you also spend significant resources, with good micro you shouldn't lose any of those units so it is not as bad. Stargate units also gives you perfect scouting to see the angles of attack which is very important, and also hedges you a bit vs. roach into mutas switches. Also I feel if you have the micro for it making 2-3 stalkers from your initial gate to go harass the zerg to force lings is also a low cost, low risk way to force units instead of drones.


If your mechanics are good I think stargate always pays itself off. You force spores, interrupt their injecting and are practically garanteed at least 1-2 ovie kills with potential for quite a bit more damage. I think the problem is just that to put those stargate units effectively to work agianst a roach push you need great phoenix control which comes on top of the macro and specifically forcefield micro. It's really difficult to multitask that all and i've rarely seen even the pro's do it well so for most realisitic purposes straight robo is probably better.

Overall i think the 9-10 min expands where you scout first are much more reliable. 7min ish 3rd may be better agianst the exact stephano build but i don't think it's safe if zerg happened to take gas faster. Some zergs still do weird shit like 3 base into ling style aggression and that kind of stuff is just hard to handle if you get a third before you're sentry energy is up.

As for stalker aggression, i think it's generally not worth. You're tremendously delaying tech and your sentry energy buildup to do so and on most maps you really won't do any damage with it. They already have their initial 4 lings and just a a couple more will do to repel the stalkers if they are good with creep spread. Only on maps where you can expect to do some good damage like korhal compound i would do it but i all-in there anyways.


confirm zerg is doing the roach stuff via phoenix

play it like normal

except skip immortals entirely (unless floating money) for void rays

profit

"but what if he goes mutas"

confirm via phoenix

play it like normal, but keep making phoenix
Grandmaster Zerg x14. Diamond 1 LoL. MLG 50, Halo 3. Raine.
DT17
Profile Joined August 2011
United States10 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-10 16:15:32
April 10 2012 16:14 GMT
#1185
I'm sure it has already been posted as a strategy, but I would like to build upon the 6 gate, 2 robo +1/1 timing at around 11:00/11:15. I have been doing this more and more vs Z and have found it very successful. Would just like thoughts on how people have been doing with it if they tried it? The Z's production has just barely started to kick in, and by the time you attack you will have (roughly) 20 stalkers, 5 zealots, 5 sentries, 5 immortals, and a warp prism/6 gates to reinforce. The key is that you have to hide 1 of your robos, it cannot be scouted, so you have to be active with stalkers, and have awareness of where overlords are coming from. This build places a high demand on execution. Hiding your immortal counts and at least one of your robos is key. Mind games help too


Obviously you can transition out of this (get a 3rd behind it, if hydras come, you can lay down a robo bay and get 2 colossi production at once)
ineversmile
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States583 Posts
April 11 2012 15:10 GMT
#1186
What about double stargate after the FFE? You can clear out all the overlords quickly, act like you're just doing the standard 1 Stargate thing for pressure/defense/information, and then hit over the cliff into the main with 4-5 Voids and a bunch of Phoenix with +1 air weapons? If they're spamming Roaches, all you have to do is send the Voids home and watch an air army fight against an army that can't shoot up. That's not a hard fight to win, considering sim city and sentries to slow down the damage from Roaches being sent to trade with infrastructure.

Sure, they can counter the air units, but the metagame is heavily roach-dependent. If they aren't getting into your base and you don't show too many stargate units early, they're not going to blind-go into Hydras or do something similarly out of character. It's not like you're going to lose to Mutas, either, if the plan is to directly go into double Stargate with +1 air units.
Nostradamus.146@AM, Nostradamus.398@KR, Nostradamus.922@EU http://www.teamliquid.net/blog/ins
Benjamin99
Profile Joined April 2012
4176 Posts
April 11 2012 15:58 GMT
#1187
Stephano has optimized his build he now max out at 11min
Stephano & Jaedong <-- The Pain Train. Polt and Innovation to EG plz
Mystgun
Profile Joined September 2010
Hong Kong311 Posts
April 11 2012 19:01 GMT
#1188
I've been dealing with this for some time and besides the 3-base blind counter which could lose to a number of other builds that the zerg might switch to, I find that I have pretty good success with an FFE, then transitioning into 4 gate +1 zealots with void ray support (the artosis build). Here is what I try to achieve:

- Ideally, be able to deny the third without losing any void rays in the process
- Scare the opponent by forcing spore/spine production and hydralisk den
- At the very least, force roach production and make them cut drones

I build about 3 void rays then reinforce with constant phoenix production and warp-ins. The transition into phoenix will keep you safe in case the zerg player decides to make a tech switch into muta while giving you the option to pick off queens, overlords, and hydralisks (if they pop up in small numbers from different spawn locations). Depending on how the engagements go, you might want to drop a robotics facility as insurance against tunneling roaches and to start transitioning into colossus
irksta
Profile Joined September 2010
4 Posts
April 11 2012 20:18 GMT
#1189
Ffe
7 gateway
+2 attack
A few zealots, sentries and stalkers to kill the third

User was warned for this post
Infocus
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada31 Posts
April 12 2012 20:47 GMT
#1190
I just went up against this on ladder the other day. It seems to be picking up in popularity!

Sweet name too!
My ZvZ mentality " My muta micro is better than your muta micro "
virul3nce
Profile Joined December 2011
United States41 Posts
April 12 2012 23:37 GMT
#1191
omfg thank you for this. the build titan used is pretty good for it. if you don't go for the hopeless pressure you should be able to keep up in macro enough to defend efficiently
windsupernova
Profile Joined October 2010
Mexico5280 Posts
April 13 2012 01:43 GMT
#1192
Sorry, I dont play P much and this probably has been said, but have you guys considered DTs as means to secure your 3rd?

As in going:

FFE into Stargate to distrupt the Zerg, tech into DTs. Use your phoenixes to snipe Overseers in the middle of the map.

Seems like ti could work against the 200 food roach push, if he goes Mutas you can make DT Archones in the meantime while teching to Storm,(also lets you get Blink).

Don't know how well the the timmings line up but to me at least on a theorycrafting level seems like a sound choice.

Only thing you could be vulnerable are Burrow timmings, but as long as you fight by your cannons the Zerg won't be able to attack into your bases.

Has anyone tried this? Sorry for the theorycrafting, but I've really been thinking about this lately and if the timmings come out Ok I can see it holding the roaches with enough DTs. Why not go voidrays instead? Well, I think Voids kill the mass amount of Roaches too slowly to make a difference while the Zerg tries to overrun you.

Haha, good luck figuring this out
"Its easy, just trust your CPU".-Boxer on being good at games
Treehead
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
999 Posts
April 13 2012 01:51 GMT
#1193
On April 13 2012 10:43 windsupernova wrote:


...FFE into Stargate to distrupt the Zerg, tech into DTs. Use your phoenixes to snipe Overseers in the middle of the map.

Seems like ti could work against the 200 food roach push...


They'd run by your DTs and voids with speed roaches. You'd need to have like a wall of DTs on hold position to make that hold - and even then, they'd just have to sneak one overseer by and it'd be over.
memcpy
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States459 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-13 01:56:41
April 13 2012 01:54 GMT
#1194
On April 13 2012 10:43 windsupernova wrote:
Sorry, I dont play P much and this probably has been said, but have you guys considered DTs as means to secure your 3rd?

As in going:

FFE into Stargate to distrupt the Zerg, tech into DTs. Use your phoenixes to snipe Overseers in the middle of the map.

Seems like ti could work against the 200 food roach push, if he goes Mutas you can make DT Archones in the meantime while teching to Storm,(also lets you get Blink).

Don't know how well the the timmings line up but to me at least on a theorycrafting level seems like a sound choice.

Only thing you could be vulnerable are Burrow timmings, but as long as you fight by your cannons the Zerg won't be able to attack into your bases.

Has anyone tried this? Sorry for the theorycrafting, but I've really been thinking about this lately and if the timmings come out Ok I can see it holding the roaches with enough DTs. Why not go voidrays instead? Well, I think Voids kill the mass amount of Roaches too slowly to make a difference while the Zerg tries to overrun you.

Haha, good luck figuring this out


I've played against many protoss who do FFE into DT. If they don't catch me completely off guard with it then it's basically auto-loss. Opening stargate into dt won't really disrupt the zerg tech unless they are terrible. Since you already have 3/4 queens and evo chamber ready a single stargate usually doesn't do much of anything.

From personal experience, ffe into dt is my favorite build to play against because you can pretty much just morph overseer and 1a.

Edit: Best non-all-in builds I've played against are early 3rds like Titan's build or a well executed ffe into stargate into quick immortal/colossus.
-Exalt-
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States972 Posts
April 13 2012 02:07 GMT
#1195
I rarely lose to this going fast 3rd. I'm much more afraid of a turtly zerg who gets an insane econ and make 15 broodlords / infestors / corrupters who can ultra switch etc.

Feint pressure, take fast 3rd (7:50-8:30) upgrade and get immortals / blink / colossus eventually.
http://drop.sc/158824
Had an obs in position to see if he was attacking my 3rd or my nat on daybreak, once you defend the initial aggression stage it's pretty much GG as your army gets too strong / well upgraded (with the build I use at least). he was at 170 supply at 11:30 and already attacking my 3rd, maxxed a bit later on.
windsupernova
Profile Joined October 2010
Mexico5280 Posts
April 13 2012 02:53 GMT
#1196
On April 13 2012 10:54 memcpy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 13 2012 10:43 windsupernova wrote:
Sorry, I dont play P much and this probably has been said, but have you guys considered DTs as means to secure your 3rd?

As in going:

FFE into Stargate to distrupt the Zerg, tech into DTs. Use your phoenixes to snipe Overseers in the middle of the map.

Seems like ti could work against the 200 food roach push, if he goes Mutas you can make DT Archones in the meantime while teching to Storm,(also lets you get Blink).

Don't know how well the the timmings line up but to me at least on a theorycrafting level seems like a sound choice.

Only thing you could be vulnerable are Burrow timmings, but as long as you fight by your cannons the Zerg won't be able to attack into your bases.

Has anyone tried this? Sorry for the theorycrafting, but I've really been thinking about this lately and if the timmings come out Ok I can see it holding the roaches with enough DTs. Why not go voidrays instead? Well, I think Voids kill the mass amount of Roaches too slowly to make a difference while the Zerg tries to overrun you.

Haha, good luck figuring this out


I've played against many protoss who do FFE into DT. If they don't catch me completely off guard with it then it's basically auto-loss. Opening stargate into dt won't really disrupt the zerg tech unless they are terrible. Since you already have 3/4 queens and evo chamber ready a single stargate usually doesn't do much of anything.

From personal experience, ffe into dt is my favorite build to play against because you can pretty much just morph overseer and 1a.

Edit: Best non-all-in builds I've played against are early 3rds like Titan's build or a well executed ffe into stargate into quick immortal/colossus.


Yeah I know that FFE into DT is easy to stop. That why I was talking about, regular FFE into Stargate(which is pretty solid to secure your nat and get some kind of map control), then take a 3rd with Dt tech. That way if the Zerg want to do the 200 food push of Roaches you can kill it with DTs while sniping the overseer with your phoenixes.

What I suggested was making a few stargate units, get a quickish 3rd while teching to DTs. I never mentioned aggressive usage of the Dts. But as I said I don't know if the timmings will line up.

Basically from what I see:

-Early Voidray and cannons can stop almost all early Roach pushes from Zerg, can distrupt the Zerg if played well and indirectly hurts the Zerg economy by forcing spores and Queens.Follow up phoenix(es) serve to scout the Zerg.
- DT followup would (theoricratingly) allow the P to be able to Defend his 3rd against a big Roach push as long as you can snipe the overseers, also opens up tech path to Blink,storms and archons to deal with Mutas.


Dunno where you got the idea that I said to use the DTs as offensive tools. Sure, Zerg will have tons of detection INSIDE his base, but outside they won't have many overseers because Phenixes will be roaming the map and Roaches and Lings can't shoot up.

Now that I think about it this will be super vulnerable to a Zerg that goes Hydras, but I guess thats why you get the phoenixes to scout.
"Its easy, just trust your CPU".-Boxer on being good at games
oriwarr
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden29 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-13 03:40:37
April 13 2012 03:39 GMT
#1197
On April 13 2012 11:07 AegiS_ wrote:
I rarely lose to this going fast 3rd. I'm much more afraid of a turtly zerg who gets an insane econ and make 15 broodlords / infestors / corrupters who can ultra switch etc.

Feint pressure, take fast 3rd (7:50-8:30) upgrade and get immortals / blink / colossus eventually.
http://drop.sc/158824
Had an obs in position to see if he was attacking my 3rd or my nat on daybreak, once you defend the initial aggression stage it's pretty much GG as your army gets too strong / well upgraded (with the build I use at least). he was at 170 supply at 11:30 and already attacking my 3rd, maxxed a bit later on.


502 Bad Gateway can you reupload it? thx

edit: oh seems it might be the site for me my bad
ShakaZu.Sc2
Profile Joined February 2012
United States131 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-13 04:20:36
April 13 2012 04:18 GMT
#1198
Warp prism drops in the main when he moves out are really strong, think of it as a counter timing... You wait for the roaches to move across then warp in zealots to snipe his main, this will slow down reinforcements and possibly cut them off entirely if you take out the roach warren and spawning pool, this forces the zerg to either base trade against your warp prism harass or retreat... If he trys to base trade it should be an easy win since most your force is still on defense and you should be able to warp in several cycles of units using you warp prism which ideally will be enough to clean up the roaches... Of course it is far from 100% but it can be a great tool to spread the zerg thin and snipe tech
Check out my stream at http://www.twitch.tv/shakazu and follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/ShakaZuSC2
Chocobo
Profile Joined November 2006
United States1108 Posts
April 13 2012 12:53 GMT
#1199
Zealot dance party has been absolutely crushing my face when I use this build. The timing is so weird, I have to scout earlier than I ever would otherwise (meaning I have to have a second suicide ovie on hand because usually the first will show me almost nothing).

Then even if I see it coming... it's rough. A dozen zealots in my face at 8:45... it's not easy to deal with.
shammythefox
Profile Joined May 2010
United Kingdom286 Posts
April 14 2012 00:45 GMT
#1200
On April 13 2012 11:53 windsupernova wrote:

Yeah I know that FFE into DT is easy to stop. That why I was talking about, regular FFE into Stargate(which is pretty solid to secure your nat and get some kind of map control), then take a 3rd with Dt tech. That way if the Zerg want to do the 200 food push of Roaches you can kill it with DTs while sniping the overseer with your phoenixes.


The roaches will kill DTs faster than phoenixes kill overlords. IF you managed to grab every overseer & overlord within range before he gets to you then good job, but he'll just kill your 3rd and natural nexus while your DTs get to work and remax, thats the whole problem with stephano roaches in the first place.
Prev 1 58 59 60 61 62 78 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 1186
ComeBackTV 1091
SteadfastSC976
TaKeTV 575
IndyStarCraft 227
Rex152
EnkiAlexander 75
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 976
IndyStarCraft 227
Rex 152
ProTech133
BRAT_OK 41
MindelVK 15
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 44134
Bisu 1527
Shuttle 605
EffOrt 497
Larva 371
Mini 360
Soma 280
BeSt 242
Rush 187
ZerO 111
[ Show more ]
Hyuk 108
firebathero 85
Dewaltoss 74
Mong 66
ToSsGirL 31
Sexy 30
Trap 24
Bale 18
Terrorterran 16
Shine 15
Rock 14
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc8315
qojqva1663
Counter-Strike
fl0m1266
Fnx 801
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1410
Khaldor1188
Other Games
hiko1457
FrodaN1059
DeMusliM352
Livibee183
ArmadaUGS182
KnowMe136
XaKoH 106
QueenE89
Mew2King74
XBOCT74
C9.Mang070
CosmosSc2 11
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV264
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream73
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 39
• StrangeGG 32
• Hinosc 12
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 10
• FirePhoenix3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3815
Other Games
• Shiphtur370
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 17m
CranKy Ducklings
17h 17m
Online Event
18h 17m
FEL
23h 17m
AI Arena Tournament
1d
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 2h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 17h
INu's Battles
1d 19h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.