• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:21
CEST 18:21
KST 01:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8458 users

[G] Rushing Relentlessly: A Guide to Zerg vs Zerg - Page 11

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 24 Next All
Glurkenspurk
Profile Joined November 2010
United States1915 Posts
February 19 2012 19:23 GMT
#201
On February 19 2012 05:28 TangSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 19 2012 05:23 llKenZyll wrote:
On February 19 2012 04:20 TangSC wrote:
On February 19 2012 02:51 RampancyTW wrote:
On February 19 2012 02:04 TangSC wrote:
On February 19 2012 01:20 RampancyTW wrote:
Nobody is saying zerg can only play macro. But there's a big difference between solid, aggressive play and most of the builds you've posted. My issue with most of these guides is that they're not reactive builds designed to exploit scouted weaknesses (which is where aggressive play kicks in). They essentially amount to pre-determined cheeses with a stunted economy, which is where you get most of your complaints from. You'll get a ton of BO-win ladder points with builds like these if opponents don't scout and respond correctly, or are playing too greedy, but unless you inflict significant damage there is zero benefit to doing a build like this. "Map control" is entirely arbitrary unless you're specifically controlling for/against THINGS.

I would love and fully support a guide from you about, for example, establishing a quick third with a decent economy and then turning on a goddamn Zerg killswitch of fury when you spot weaknesses in your opponents' defenses. That would be an AWESOME, comprehensive guide for aggressive Zerg play, and most importantly it would establish all of the basic economic and tech pieces that a Zerg would need to transition afterwards. THAT is solid play. Guides like these are gimmicky. They may be good gimmicks, bad gimmicks, whatever-- the important thing is that they're gimmicks.

The words "gimmick, allin, cheese" etc are, in my opinion, useless words. Everyone has a different opinion of what the definitions are. The point is, it's not always what which style you choose, it's about doing the style perfectly. There's a vast skill gap between a master using the builds I've outlined and a silver player using them. I could just as easily argue that my builds are "solid" because they put your opponent on the back foot while you drone/respond to the information your attack gives you, and that playing defensive "macro" style with roaches is not particularly helpful because you're not multitasking and your units are too slow to scout.

In short, I really don't think there should be so many unwritten rules about which strategy is correct to employ or any negative associations with builds that deviate from what some people have come to accept as "standard".
I don't frown upon cheese or all-ins in regards to them being cheese or all-ins. I dislike your builds because they stunt so much tech and economy for army early on, which FORCES you to do significant damage with them to even have a chance of winning.

"Solid" styles have a pretty universally accepted definition: Builds/styles that will work even if your opponent knows they are coming, because their effectiveness is determined almost entirely by the execution of the user relative to the execution of the opponent.

Your builds sacrifice the tools needed to enter the midgame in a good position if you don't do enormous damage. THAT does not come down to arbitrary labeling. That does not come down to anything other than the fact that you blindly cut economy and tech in favor of a big fat army that may or may not do damage. Tech will ALWAYS help you. Economy will ALWAYS help you. A big army now, if it sacrifices the other two, does not help you at ALL if you can't do heavy damage with it.

The issue is NOT that you don't play a macro style. The issue is that you play a GIMMICKY style (that you do not acknowledge as gimmicky), as opposed to a solid aggressive style.

You can know this build is coming and still lose, we can play a BO5 anytime you like and I'll use this opening each game.

Lol, time to whip out the dicks and see whose is biggest.

I'm just making a point. Also Kenzy, I would really prefer you kept those types of remarks to yourself, judging from the comments from your reddit account (and the fact that you were banned twice), I really don't think you have anything constructive to contribute: http://www.reddit.com/user/llKENZYll



...Did you actually go on reddit and look up this guy's account to find a way to insult him? You are insane.
Hossinaut
Profile Joined June 2011
United States453 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-19 19:29:00
February 19 2012 19:28 GMT
#202
I'd love to see Tang play against DarkFoRcE in a BO5 concerning this strategy.
Please provide replays or VODs when complete <3 :D

EDIT: agrees with guy above me
solidbebe
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands4921 Posts
February 19 2012 19:36 GMT
#203
On February 19 2012 05:23 llKenZyll wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 19 2012 04:20 TangSC wrote:
On February 19 2012 02:51 RampancyTW wrote:
On February 19 2012 02:04 TangSC wrote:
On February 19 2012 01:20 RampancyTW wrote:
Nobody is saying zerg can only play macro. But there's a big difference between solid, aggressive play and most of the builds you've posted. My issue with most of these guides is that they're not reactive builds designed to exploit scouted weaknesses (which is where aggressive play kicks in). They essentially amount to pre-determined cheeses with a stunted economy, which is where you get most of your complaints from. You'll get a ton of BO-win ladder points with builds like these if opponents don't scout and respond correctly, or are playing too greedy, but unless you inflict significant damage there is zero benefit to doing a build like this. "Map control" is entirely arbitrary unless you're specifically controlling for/against THINGS.

I would love and fully support a guide from you about, for example, establishing a quick third with a decent economy and then turning on a goddamn Zerg killswitch of fury when you spot weaknesses in your opponents' defenses. That would be an AWESOME, comprehensive guide for aggressive Zerg play, and most importantly it would establish all of the basic economic and tech pieces that a Zerg would need to transition afterwards. THAT is solid play. Guides like these are gimmicky. They may be good gimmicks, bad gimmicks, whatever-- the important thing is that they're gimmicks.

The words "gimmick, allin, cheese" etc are, in my opinion, useless words. Everyone has a different opinion of what the definitions are. The point is, it's not always what which style you choose, it's about doing the style perfectly. There's a vast skill gap between a master using the builds I've outlined and a silver player using them. I could just as easily argue that my builds are "solid" because they put your opponent on the back foot while you drone/respond to the information your attack gives you, and that playing defensive "macro" style with roaches is not particularly helpful because you're not multitasking and your units are too slow to scout.

In short, I really don't think there should be so many unwritten rules about which strategy is correct to employ or any negative associations with builds that deviate from what some people have come to accept as "standard".
I don't frown upon cheese or all-ins in regards to them being cheese or all-ins. I dislike your builds because they stunt so much tech and economy for army early on, which FORCES you to do significant damage with them to even have a chance of winning.

"Solid" styles have a pretty universally accepted definition: Builds/styles that will work even if your opponent knows they are coming, because their effectiveness is determined almost entirely by the execution of the user relative to the execution of the opponent.

Your builds sacrifice the tools needed to enter the midgame in a good position if you don't do enormous damage. THAT does not come down to arbitrary labeling. That does not come down to anything other than the fact that you blindly cut economy and tech in favor of a big fat army that may or may not do damage. Tech will ALWAYS help you. Economy will ALWAYS help you. A big army now, if it sacrifices the other two, does not help you at ALL if you can't do heavy damage with it.

The issue is NOT that you don't play a macro style. The issue is that you play a GIMMICKY style (that you do not acknowledge as gimmicky), as opposed to a solid aggressive style.

You can know this build is coming and still lose, we can play a BO5 anytime you like and I'll use this opening each game.

Lol, time to whip out the dicks and see whose is biggest.


This made me laugh for a solid minute hahaha!
That's the 2nd time in a week I've seen someone sig a quote from this GD and I have never witnessed a sig quote happen in my TL history ever before. -Najda
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
February 19 2012 19:39 GMT
#204
On February 20 2012 04:23 Odal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 19 2012 05:28 TangSC wrote:
On February 19 2012 05:23 llKenZyll wrote:
On February 19 2012 04:20 TangSC wrote:
On February 19 2012 02:51 RampancyTW wrote:
On February 19 2012 02:04 TangSC wrote:
On February 19 2012 01:20 RampancyTW wrote:
Nobody is saying zerg can only play macro. But there's a big difference between solid, aggressive play and most of the builds you've posted. My issue with most of these guides is that they're not reactive builds designed to exploit scouted weaknesses (which is where aggressive play kicks in). They essentially amount to pre-determined cheeses with a stunted economy, which is where you get most of your complaints from. You'll get a ton of BO-win ladder points with builds like these if opponents don't scout and respond correctly, or are playing too greedy, but unless you inflict significant damage there is zero benefit to doing a build like this. "Map control" is entirely arbitrary unless you're specifically controlling for/against THINGS.

I would love and fully support a guide from you about, for example, establishing a quick third with a decent economy and then turning on a goddamn Zerg killswitch of fury when you spot weaknesses in your opponents' defenses. That would be an AWESOME, comprehensive guide for aggressive Zerg play, and most importantly it would establish all of the basic economic and tech pieces that a Zerg would need to transition afterwards. THAT is solid play. Guides like these are gimmicky. They may be good gimmicks, bad gimmicks, whatever-- the important thing is that they're gimmicks.

The words "gimmick, allin, cheese" etc are, in my opinion, useless words. Everyone has a different opinion of what the definitions are. The point is, it's not always what which style you choose, it's about doing the style perfectly. There's a vast skill gap between a master using the builds I've outlined and a silver player using them. I could just as easily argue that my builds are "solid" because they put your opponent on the back foot while you drone/respond to the information your attack gives you, and that playing defensive "macro" style with roaches is not particularly helpful because you're not multitasking and your units are too slow to scout.

In short, I really don't think there should be so many unwritten rules about which strategy is correct to employ or any negative associations with builds that deviate from what some people have come to accept as "standard".
I don't frown upon cheese or all-ins in regards to them being cheese or all-ins. I dislike your builds because they stunt so much tech and economy for army early on, which FORCES you to do significant damage with them to even have a chance of winning.

"Solid" styles have a pretty universally accepted definition: Builds/styles that will work even if your opponent knows they are coming, because their effectiveness is determined almost entirely by the execution of the user relative to the execution of the opponent.

Your builds sacrifice the tools needed to enter the midgame in a good position if you don't do enormous damage. THAT does not come down to arbitrary labeling. That does not come down to anything other than the fact that you blindly cut economy and tech in favor of a big fat army that may or may not do damage. Tech will ALWAYS help you. Economy will ALWAYS help you. A big army now, if it sacrifices the other two, does not help you at ALL if you can't do heavy damage with it.

The issue is NOT that you don't play a macro style. The issue is that you play a GIMMICKY style (that you do not acknowledge as gimmicky), as opposed to a solid aggressive style.

You can know this build is coming and still lose, we can play a BO5 anytime you like and I'll use this opening each game.

Lol, time to whip out the dicks and see whose is biggest.

I'm just making a point. Also Kenzy, I would really prefer you kept those types of remarks to yourself, judging from the comments from your reddit account (and the fact that you were banned twice), I really don't think you have anything constructive to contribute: http://www.reddit.com/user/llKENZYll



...Did you actually go on reddit and look up this guy's account to find a way to insult him? You are insane.

Lol no, I'm friends with one of the reddit mods and he told me the story of how Kenzy keeps remaking new accounts so that he can troll people, but they don't IP ban like Team Liquid
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
audist
Profile Joined October 2010
United States136 Posts
February 20 2012 05:40 GMT
#205
Disregarding the thread hate, I thought that this guide was a great way to improve your zergling micro vs banelings. That's just how I, as a platinum, feel about this guide! Thanks for doing this, Tang~
AndyPandyPie
Profile Joined September 2010
United Kingdom11 Posts
February 20 2012 11:02 GMT
#206
I don't understand why so many people are hating on Tang for producing this guide, you're not forced to use it and if you believe you can easily counter it, then good for you. In the right hands making the correct transitions based on what you scout, I think it could be deadly at all levels of play, which is partly proven by him taking down high calibre players in the replays. I think everyone here agrees that playing a macro style is the most effective way to improve at the game, but that's not to say that specialised builds like this don't have a place for players of all skills. Their use in BoX formats is great, and it's undeniable that niche skill sets like ling micro will benefit from using it, which will in turn improve your play overall. I think it's a great build to be well-versed in, and I (like many others, I'm sure) really appreciate the time he's spent on the guides. Cheers Tang, great job!
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12888 Posts
February 20 2012 11:21 GMT
#207
I think the most fun part about zerg is that it doesn't follow a very strict build order and so you get to figure out a good way to transition into something safe/economical/aggression
So I won't really recommend anyone going for this because you would better off playing more games, learning more about the matchup and then get your own transition. Then you can understand the build and the reason why this timing is good for another aggression etc.
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
stichlasser
Profile Joined March 2011
69 Posts
February 20 2012 11:37 GMT
#208
Im a gold player and if theres one thing i can say about this build:

it helps improving your micro against banelings by a lot (eg. target fire with queen/spinecrawler).

Maybe the build doesnt work vs all GM/M players and not all the time, but if your micro is bad (like mine) you can improve your ZvZ with this pretty good. If its not your style, to sometimes play an aggressive (somewhat all-in) stlye, dont do it. I tried to win games without beeing kinda cheesy or all-in-ing for a long time. Then I accepted it as part of the game.
TechnoZerg
Profile Joined May 2011
Australia75 Posts
February 20 2012 13:28 GMT
#209
darkforce vs tang bo5 gogogo
Power overwhelming!
monkeycid
Profile Joined May 2006
Sweden44 Posts
February 20 2012 14:39 GMT
#210
While I always love a nice macro game myself and essentially never rush (a weakness!), I think that this guide seems pretty dang reasonable - it should certainly not have drawn such ferocious hate. I would also be very wary against statements such as "<race x> is meant to be played in <style y>"; while "Zerg is a reactive race." it a useful in-game heuristic, I think getting stuck on it when considering builds can really limit your potential. What's the constructive value of categorically dismissing a whole set of builds because of some preconception?

Having said that, I don't think this is the end-all of Zerg builds - but it's not presented as such either!. I think it can be a great thing to break out in a BOx and for teaching aggression and micro on the ladder. Thank you for the well-written guide, mr Tang - I'm sure it'll help me figure out ZvZ better, and once I've mastered it it'll have a nice place in my toolbox.
woot!
lhr0909
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States562 Posts
February 20 2012 15:24 GMT
#211
Dear Tang,

I know you are a talented player, these builds are great, but I think you want to consider the following:

These builds are only good for players with good mechanics. If injects are lacking, these builds are useless, and become very weak. And the opening phase is highly micro heavy. It is not a bad build, but it is neither a 100% guaranteed win or a stable safe opening.

Since these builds gets laughed at by higher level players, and not suitable for lower level players who lack mechanics. Why don't you go ahead and design some builds that are less dependent on mechanics and safe, and at the same time, talk about when to power units and attack, and when to drone a bit and plan for another attack. This is more important for a ZvZ matchup in my honest opinion. I am a diamond zerg player and my ZvZ is bad because I never know when to drone and when to make units. I have been trying to figure it out and go for safer builds like hatch first into defensive baneling, then look for a timing window and baneling counter bust him while droning up behind. I think these kinds of concepts are far more important for both lower level players and higher level players. And I am pretty sure you know that pretty well too. Because you know when to drone when your attack is failing and starting to plan for another attack.

I have tried your builds (2 hatch ling all-in), and I had mild success until got hardcore shut down by good baneling spread (not even micro), then I started to go hatch first into defensive banelings, once I shut down a ling flood, I immediately counter push and drone a bit behind. It is just so much more affective, and I can even say that I all-in after I hold off the initial push. Maybe you should teach how to identify when to all-in. :D

gl hf on being influential in the community!
No Pain No Gain
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
February 20 2012 18:09 GMT
#212
On February 21 2012 00:24 lhr0909 wrote:
Dear Tang,

I know you are a talented player, these builds are great, but I think you want to consider the following:

These builds are only good for players with good mechanics. If injects are lacking, these builds are useless, and become very weak. And the opening phase is highly micro heavy. It is not a bad build, but it is neither a 100% guaranteed win or a stable safe opening.

The style is much stronger for players with good mechanics, sure, but it's also a way to improve injects/multitasking/micro. I don't think any build is a guaranteed win. In my personal experience, I've felt the most safe/stable when using this build as opposed to defensive roach or baneling openings.
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
Hossinaut
Profile Joined June 2011
United States453 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-20 20:34:47
February 20 2012 20:32 GMT
#213
Saying that it's weak if you do it wrong, so that forces people to do it correctly and get better is a false assumption. People will simply die and not know why. People don't so much understand how to analyze and how to improve, because if they did, they wouldn't need your guides. Saying its strong if done correctly is nice, but when those that can do it right say its weak comparatively, it may be something that's not mega worthwhile. As its only strong if done correctly, it's not worthwhile for people in lower leagues with lower ability to execute, as they will once again, simply die.

I am not nor have I been trying to hate, and my references to "people" are in reference to the majority of players that are not in masters or GM.

Similarly, I do not entirely understand why you do not accept the gimmicky/allin nature of your proposed guides, etc, as in several of your guides you manage to get a third up before even half saturation, just so you can say you have 3 bases. Same goes with getting your natural up early- its done without a thought to actually saturating those bases in a timely manner.
Tribuno
Profile Joined August 2011
Italy261 Posts
February 20 2012 21:43 GMT
#214
i m high diamond player EU, i ve tryed this build in every single ZvZ in the last week i think.. in some cases it works really really well and it's really difficult to stop it (roach expand, roach ling, only ling for example) but vs baneling i really can win only if i arrive at his base and he has not baneling yet..

finally i think its viable build but it is not really solid and, at my level and with my micro, i have too many difficulties vs baneling because 3 baneling with good control can stop it pretty easy.. so i'll use it sometimes maybe in the future but i'll go for more solid build in the most of cases. Anyway thanks tang
Katastrophe
Profile Joined August 2011
United States23 Posts
February 20 2012 21:52 GMT
#215
Gold/Plat Zerg here, so take my opinion/comments/whatever at the worth you'll deem them.

I think I've read most (if not all) of the guides Tang has posted here, and they always get flamed for being gimmicky/all-in/etc which I can't dispute 100%. In this one, for example, your Part 3 video for "What to do if the Roach/sling push fails?" is pretty much "Get another hatch, +1 upgrade, and try again". Day9 has said many times something to the extent of pushes like these will become slightly less effective over time - exponential decay, diminishing returns, whatever you want to call it - and the trick is to know when you've maxed your potential and transition out of it... typically, I like Roach/Festor but I've also done Roach/Hydra or Sling/Festor in ZvZ, depending on where I stand with resources and what they're doing. That's my only real criticism is that this guide (and some of your others) offer no suggestions on how to get into Lair tech and go from there and instead seem to focus on forcing your opponent to react to what you're doing, rather then for you to react to what they're doing. It reminds me a bit of campaign zerg.

What I can say is that I agree with you that to write this off as gimmicky/all-in/cheese is wrong - it's definitely a style. I have ALWAYS (and I mean always) hated the sling/bling micro wars of ZvZ... primarily because I was never really good at them. I usually opted to use sling, spines, and queens defensively while I go for two base into Roaches and just skip the baneling step entirely. I have since opted for using a similar style to the one you suggest to deny their expansion and get my two base economy up to try and stay a base ahead of them, rather then just playing defensively.

All in all, the guide is well written and the videos offer great general advice and tips (at least for lower league players) and provides a good skeleton for those who hate sling/bling wars, such as myself. Seeing as the style I developed isn't too far at all from this, I appreciated the subtle hints of how to react if I don't scout that expo or how to deal with early pools.

I feel that my previous mindset of "Their expo is killed, time to get to roaches" doesn't mesh with my opener, so I will certainly be attempting to keep up with my aggression... although I highly doubt if a roach/sling push failed, I'll transition into a macro hatch and an upgrade. I typically spine hard and go into a muta play (if I can beat them to it) or sling/festor (if they're going muta).
It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything.
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
February 20 2012 22:04 GMT
#216
On February 21 2012 06:52 Katastrophe wrote:
That's my only real criticism is that this guide (and some of your others) offer no suggestions on how to get into Lair tech and go from there and instead seem to focus on forcing your opponent to react to what you're doing, rather then for you to react to what they're doing. It reminds me a bit of campaign zerg.

That's a good point, I don't often talk about the more macro-oriented transitions but when you're using any aggressive style, you need to know mid/late game macro for the matches that make it to that point. In general, I go 2base mutalisk so that I again have the map control to drone/take a 3rd. Once I have about 8-10 mutas, I switch to infestor / roach / upgrades and eventually when my 3rd is established I go for hydras mixed with roaches til maxed.

For example:
http://drop.sc/116315
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
Katastrophe
Profile Joined August 2011
United States23 Posts
February 21 2012 02:09 GMT
#217
On February 21 2012 07:04 TangSC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2012 06:52 Katastrophe wrote:
That's my only real criticism is that this guide (and some of your others) offer no suggestions on how to get into Lair tech and go from there and instead seem to focus on forcing your opponent to react to what you're doing, rather then for you to react to what they're doing. It reminds me a bit of campaign zerg.

That's a good point, I don't often talk about the more macro-oriented transitions but when you're using any aggressive style, you need to know mid/late game macro for the matches that make it to that point. In general, I go 2base mutalisk so that I again have the map control to drone/take a 3rd. Once I have about 8-10 mutas, I switch to infestor / roach / upgrades and eventually when my 3rd is established I go for hydras mixed with roaches til maxed.

For example:
http://drop.sc/116315


See, if you had made this Part Three, I think a lot of people would consider it more "legitimate".
That replay alone shows much more 'game sense' then what the OP leads one to believe, as far as 'the next step'.
Your guides are always well organized and easy to comprehend to even lower league players, but this sort of example of a follow up definitely opens the doors for those less experienced.

All in all, it's an aggressive style, no doubt. Although it may not be for everyone, I prefer it oppose to the more "macro until last possible minute" styles.
My last question is your suggested build order. Like I mentioned before, I sort of stumbled across a similar style while laddering that keeps the same core concept of getting gas enough for speed, stop droning at 16 Drones, expand, and mass zerglings. However, I use a 14g/14p/20h as oppose to your suggested 15p/15g/17h.

Aside from a slightly delayed attack time due to the slower hatch, why do you opt for your order? Do you consider your order to be 'optimized' or is it a matter of preference? I apologize if I'm asking too many "newb" questions.
It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything.
Cotillion37
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada94 Posts
February 21 2012 07:15 GMT
#218
On February 21 2012 11:09 Katastrophe wrote:


Aside from a slightly delayed attack time due to the slower hatch, why do you opt for your order? Do you consider your order to be 'optimized' or is it a matter of preference? I apologize if I'm asking too many "newb" questions.


It's probably this way to optimize larvae. I'll test both builds out and see.
VisiO789
Profile Joined January 2012
United States7 Posts
February 21 2012 09:13 GMT
#219
This is just what i need thank you so much for this Tang!!!!
The successful people in life always give 100 percent all the time!
wishr
Profile Joined February 2012
Russian Federation262 Posts
February 21 2012 11:46 GMT
#220
Hey Tang, gj with dat guide and others. Just wanna ask u smthing... Do u have plans at writing a few ZvP guides?
* Only girls complain about balance! *
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 24 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 83
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 548
IndyStarCraft 83
BRAT_OK 44
MindelVK 13
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 29928
Bisu 1810
Shuttle 1452
Hyuk 945
Mini 504
EffOrt 463
Larva 294
ZerO 255
firebathero 192
hero 62
[ Show more ]
Hyun 48
Mong 44
PianO 43
Trap 40
Sexy 36
Killer 34
Pusan 32
ToSsGirL 28
sorry 19
zelot 19
Rock 13
Terrorterran 13
Bale 12
Sacsri 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Noble 6
Dota 2
Gorgc10885
qojqva1889
Dendi949
Counter-Strike
fl0m2430
Fnx 25
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1482
crisheroes1110
Liquid`Hasu631
Other Games
singsing1959
FrodaN1050
B2W.Neo952
Beastyqt709
Mlord404
Hui .220
Liquid`VortiX178
Livibee169
KnowMe135
ArmadaUGS116
Mew2King74
Trikslyr31
CosmosSc2 14
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream39
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 58
• StrangeGG 41
• mYiSmile122
• Adnapsc2 17
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 13
• Azhi_Dahaki9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7962
League of Legends
• Jankos1725
Other Games
• Shiphtur244
• WagamamaTV193
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
39m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2h 39m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
17h 39m
INu's Battles
19h 39m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
22h 39m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 17h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 23h
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.