• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:48
CEST 09:48
KST 16:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202615Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9236 users

[G] ZvP Basic 3 Base Opening against FFE - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
ALPINA
Profile Joined May 2010
3791 Posts
September 09 2011 07:41 GMT
#61
What if I can get hatch at around 16 supply (probe not blocking), is it worth getting, or better wait for queen/lings and only then? Pool is on 14 ofc.
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity
EternalSC
Profile Joined May 2011
Sweden313 Posts
September 09 2011 07:44 GMT
#62
Sounds promising. Will deff try it out!
SHIT'S ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!
Twelve12
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia268 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-09 08:38:29
September 09 2011 08:23 GMT
#63
thanks for the amazing guide! I have a question though, say you presumed your opponent was going forge first but then you found that he wasn't, how would you change your opening? I saw on page two you said about putting down spines for 4 gate etc, but i'm guessing you wouldn't take such an early third against 1 base would you? would you only take a third after you see him expand?
SelectStaR
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom129 Posts
September 09 2011 08:46 GMT
#64
Im a Protoss player and RoyalFlush made some great observation points for a zerg... stick with those and u cant loose.

Lead By Example
Crosswind
Profile Joined May 2010
United States279 Posts
September 09 2011 15:27 GMT
#65
Royal, question on this opening vs. Stargate openers.

On the Tal'darim stargate game, as soon as you see void rays, you get corruptors.
On the ...other map (last replay you link), you don't go spire tech.

By my math, you either do this because you see a heavier stargate commital on the Tal'darim game, or because your third is way farther away from your nat in the tal'darim game, so you need corruptors to deal with harass.

...which is it? What motivates the decision to put down spire or not?

Thanks.

-Cross
RoyalFlush
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada109 Posts
September 09 2011 22:16 GMT
#66
On September 10 2011 00:27 Crosswind wrote:
Royal, question on this opening vs. Stargate openers.

On the Tal'darim stargate game, as soon as you see void rays, you get corruptors.
On the ...other map (last replay you link), you don't go spire tech.

By my math, you either do this because you see a heavier stargate commital on the Tal'darim game, or because your third is way farther away from your nat in the tal'darim game, so you need corruptors to deal with harass.

...which is it? What motivates the decision to put down spire or not?

Thanks.

-Cross


If protoss decides to open with stargate
there are many ways they can transition from there
However you must determine which path they take very quickly
first figure out if its a 2 base all-in or merely a way to take his third up fast
if its early third u can just ignore few stargate units and brute force your way into kill his third or be even more greedy
if its a 2 base all in you MUST know what type of all in it is
if its double stargate you must have your hydra den
stargate into robo tech means its better to throw down spire and be greedy for a little longer
stargate into mass gateway all in means you should have about 1-2 more round of drones until you should start roach production + hydras production
and yes the map can somewhat dictate what kind of tech you want to go for
You called down the thunder?
bela.mervado
Profile Joined December 2008
Hungary417 Posts
September 12 2011 12:57 GMT
#67
omg this is so great.
been trying this build in ladder with great success. practicing against comps, i was able to max at 11:50. for all the diamond noobs like i am, this is a great solid build to get our macro skills better. queen injects ftw! there are lots of small details that have to be worked out by practicing this build, like managing an even drone distribution and so on.

thanks RoyalFlush, this stuff really helps.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
September 14 2011 06:58 GMT
#68
Is it possible to do this build with a 14/14 speedling expand opening?

I just find speedlings so absolutely important in PvZ against Protoss. I've been doing a more losira/nestea version of this, where what I do is-
14/14 (helps to scout, lets me hold 4 gates without roaches, good in general vs P)
~30-34 Hatch
- 6:45 evo
- 7:00 roach warren, put 3 back on gas, add another geyser
- Hit 70 supply with drones
- Figure out what's going on - if it's gateway, I put 1 spine up and start cranking out units. If it's stargate, I drone up and add a 2 spores, 1 for the more vulnerable bases. On a map like taldarim, I'll put 2-3 at the hatch since you can't get creep and queens over there. If it's DT I'll add spore to 3rd and at choke.
- I don't start thinking about lair until 80ish supply. If no push is coming, usually because of DT or SG opening, I'll get lair and 4 gas. If it's gateway push, I'll hold the initial wave before getting lair, I have to make sure I can hold him before I make lair.

Losira and Nestea generally don't make lair until past 100 supply. It's interesting what you say about getting lair, but then no ling speed, but I feel this leaves you way too vulnerable if Protoss doesn't FFE.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Templar.
Profile Joined May 2009
Canada133 Posts
September 14 2011 07:09 GMT
#69
"It's interesting what you say about getting lair, but then no ling speed, but I feel this leaves you way too vulnerable if Protoss doesn't FFE"

This build is specifically designed for a toss going FFE, you don't throw down your third hatch unless you scout hes going FFE.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
September 14 2011 07:20 GMT
#70
I feel no early ling speed from a 14/14 opening leaves you way too vulnerable if he doesn't FFE though.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
September 14 2011 07:24 GMT
#71
On September 14 2011 16:20 Belial88 wrote:
I feel no early ling speed from a 14/14 opening leaves you way too vulnerable if he doesn't FFE though.


nah you can get ling speed before a possible 4 gate if he does do that. You really dont' need ling speed asap in zvp even if they are not Forge fe'ing.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Tschis
Profile Joined November 2010
Brazil1511 Posts
September 14 2011 18:42 GMT
#72
Thanks, I was kinda mad I didn't know what to do against some ffe protoss on ladder. Will try this next time :}
"A coward is not someone that runs from a battle knowing he will lose. A coward is someone who challenges a weak knowing he will win."
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-14 19:45:11
September 14 2011 19:44 GMT
#73
On September 14 2011 16:24 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 14 2011 16:20 Belial88 wrote:
I feel no early ling speed from a 14/14 opening leaves you way too vulnerable if he doesn't FFE though.


nah you can get ling speed before a possible 4 gate if he does do that. You really dont' need ling speed asap in zvp even if they are not Forge fe'ing.


Interesting. I'm now on going to try just 14 pool, and depending on if its FFE or 1 base, I'll throw down gas.

OP, what do you think of the Nestea getting 100+ lair? I always assumed Zerg had a choice of either lair or third base, not both.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
RoyalFlush
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada109 Posts
September 14 2011 19:51 GMT
#74
On September 15 2011 04:44 Belial88 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 14 2011 16:24 blade55555 wrote:
On September 14 2011 16:20 Belial88 wrote:
I feel no early ling speed from a 14/14 opening leaves you way too vulnerable if he doesn't FFE though.


nah you can get ling speed before a possible 4 gate if he does do that. You really dont' need ling speed asap in zvp even if they are not Forge fe'ing.


Interesting. I'm now on going to try just 14 pool, and depending on if its FFE or 1 base, I'll throw down gas.

OP, what do you think of the Nestea getting 100+ lair? I always assumed Zerg had a choice of either lair or third base, not both.


You should def read the whole guide
I explain why you need no ling speed and also I explain that Im well aware of nestea/losira 3 base build with late late lair.
With good gas econ management you can perfectly go with my build to defend against anything protoss can throw at you when they FFE
You called down the thunder?
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-14 19:55:41
September 14 2011 19:54 GMT
#75
^ Yea, I read the whole guide, I understand your reasoning about ling speed, I wasn't asking ling speed for FFE, I was wondering what if P didn't go FFE and blade answered it fine.

I'm just wondering about what you think of the nestea late lair. I mean, why do you think, they go late lair then if with good econ management you can still afford earlier lair? I do believe they open 14/14 in ZvP so maybe that's why.

I always go super late lair (i already described what I do) and I find FFE easy to hold off. It kind of seems like this build is just the kryix style 3 base mass roach aggression like he did vs Hongun on terminus, which is hard for any P build to hold, but a macro P can definitely deal with.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
RoyalFlush
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada109 Posts
September 14 2011 20:12 GMT
#76
Nestea/Losira build is more econ heavy opposed to my build
this build will have better early game econ and imo safer
Nestea/Losira build heavily relies on zerg player being really good at knowing what protoss is doing
My build is more forgiving in terms of being able to scout properly before anything can hit you and reacting to them properly
Good example would be Nestea vs Huk in GSL all stars tournament. Nestea didnt know what HuK was doing until late where HuK opened dt and blink stalkers
Even though he was making spores since he suspected dts, he cancelled spores since he saw stalkers warping in(because he suspected blink stalkers not both dts and blink)
I prefer heavy scouting/ no surprises from protoss so thats why I do this build
But if you are a good zerg who prefers taking risks and confident on assuming which build protoss is doing 100% of the time then I would recommand Nestea/Losira build
You called down the thunder?
robbryjo
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany60 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-14 21:03:35
September 14 2011 21:03 GMT
#77
i try`d both this build and the 3 hatch 1 gas opener http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/3_Hatch_1_Gas Im a master zerg and i think the second is better but this is quite not a bad build.
quote
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
September 14 2011 21:47 GMT
#78
On September 15 2011 05:12 RoyalFlush wrote:
Nestea/Losira build is more econ heavy opposed to my build
this build will have better early game econ and imo safer
Nestea/Losira build heavily relies on zerg player being really good at knowing what protoss is doing
My build is more forgiving in terms of being able to scout properly before anything can hit you and reacting to them properly
Good example would be Nestea vs Huk in GSL all stars tournament. Nestea didnt know what HuK was doing until late where HuK opened dt and blink stalkers
Even though he was making spores since he suspected dts, he cancelled spores since he saw stalkers warping in(because he suspected blink stalkers not both dts and blink)
I prefer heavy scouting/ no surprises from protoss so thats why I do this build
But if you are a good zerg who prefers taking risks and confident on assuming which build protoss is doing 100% of the time then I would recommand Nestea/Losira build


But why would you go Nestea style, when you can do YOUR style and be 100% safe against any hidden tech? I mean either way, you'll win against Protoss right? I just don't understand, I suppose, what the benefit of the Nestea style is then.

I mean the way I played the Nestea style, I literally barely had enough money to hold off pushes, so I couldn't imagine trying to also get lair. A good blink push or 6 gate would take all my money, and if I had spent anything on spores because I thought it was DTs or something, I would lose and get overwhelmed.

There's also some interesting things you can do where you go mass queen/spines and just drone up hardcore. You'll be completely safe against anything Protoss throws at you doing that, I think I stopped doing that because if Protoss went fast third I'd have a harder time pressuring him or keeping up if I took a 4th.

Maybe the only difference is the ling speed ;/
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
bmn
Profile Joined August 2010
886 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-16 17:58:29
September 16 2011 17:49 GMT
#79
On September 15 2011 06:47 Belial88 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 15 2011 05:12 RoyalFlush wrote:
Nestea/Losira build is more econ heavy opposed to my build
this build will have better early game econ and imo safer
Nestea/Losira build heavily relies on zerg player being really good at knowing what protoss is doing
My build is more forgiving in terms of being able to scout properly before anything can hit you and reacting to them properly
Good example would be Nestea vs Huk in GSL all stars tournament. Nestea didnt know what HuK was doing until late where HuK opened dt and blink stalkers
Even though he was making spores since he suspected dts, he cancelled spores since he saw stalkers warping in(because he suspected blink stalkers not both dts and blink)
I prefer heavy scouting/ no surprises from protoss so thats why I do this build
But if you are a good zerg who prefers taking risks and confident on assuming which build protoss is doing 100% of the time then I would recommand Nestea/Losira build


But why would you go Nestea style, when you can do YOUR style and be 100% safe against any hidden tech? I mean either way, you'll win against Protoss right? I just don't understand, I suppose, what the benefit of the Nestea style is then.


No, it's not "either way, you'll win against Protoss" -- FFE isn't a build order loss.

And your statement cuts either way, if you win "either way", then why would you do this, what is the benefit of this style? If you win either way, it does not matter.

Nestea's style is more economy heavy and gives you a stronger late-game the longer the opponent waits before pushing out. It's more demanding in getting the timing right to start building units, but once you're in army production mode, you have a more solid economy to back it up.

Edit: Also, to quote your comment from another thread:

I just envision a day. That is all. Because if Zerg knows what P is opening, and he goes third hatch vs FFE, there is no way he can lose.

If it is that easy, there's no point in debating the details of what to do, just get a fast third and scout, free win!
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
September 17 2011 01:23 GMT
#80

No, it's not "either way, you'll win against Protoss" -- FFE isn't a build order loss.


It kind of is. FFE only beats fast third if they surprise you with what they do, but with good scouting - which, granted, can very well be denied and faked out, there is no way for FFE 2 base timing to hurt you (it even holds 6 gate blink and 7 gate and 6 gate +1, as we saw in the GSL recently). If the most aggressive of aggressive 2 base all-ins from FFE can't even punish you, then it's a weak build.

Of course, if you waste the money/drones on 4 drones for spores expecting SG, and it's mass gate, you'll almost guaranteed to lose, as it's all very tight (the macro, money, etc).

If it is that easy, there's no point in debating the details of what to do, just get a fast third and scout, free win!


Good point. In light of this thread, I'm going 14h/15p in ZvP, and upon my drone scout finding P, I'll either get gas immediately for ling speed (against 1 base play so I can hold 4 gate roachless, or put on aggression or counterattack if they pressure, or win against 2 gate) or not if they went FFE, and then get lair eventually.

There's a reason Nestea and Losira go fast third vs FFE, and always win (unless surprised by lack of scouting), and the reason they ever get surprised is due to their speedling opening in ZvP (Huk vs Nestea is the only example I can think of, and that was an extreme surprise with blink + dt).

I always assumed it was either fast third vs lair, but I guess if you aren't getting ling speed, you can get a faster lair.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 15h 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3616
Rush 213
Soma 195
Mong 93
Killer 93
ToSsGirL 83
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss177
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King129
Other Games
summit1g7830
WinterStarcraft599
ceh9542
olofmeister519
Happy339
dupreeh231
Sick181
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 48
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2282
League of Legends
• Stunt438
Other Games
• Shiphtur631
Upcoming Events
OSC
15h 12m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 2h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 9h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 11h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.