• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:20
CEST 04:20
KST 11:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8707 users

The Protoss Help Me Thread - Page 341

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 339 340 341 342 343 432 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action.
Chandra
Profile Joined July 2011
United States123 Posts
October 02 2012 04:59 GMT
#6801
What's your preferred method for simcity on Cloud Kingdom in PvZ when defending your third (assuming you're taking a (9:00 -10:30 third)? I've tried both walling in front of my third nexus and walling off the ramp leading to my natural with little to no simcity at my third. When walling my natural ramp I feel like my third is too exposed, and the nexus can be easily sniped by roaches when my immortal count is a bit low, and there's little I can do about it. But when walling in front of my third I feel like the zerg has an opportunity to get a really good surround on my army from the natural ramp, and not splitting my army well enough can be really unforgiving. Neither option seems to be ideal. What do you guys do?
myRZeth
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany1047 Posts
October 02 2012 06:53 GMT
#6802
On October 02 2012 13:59 Chandra wrote:
What's your preferred method for simcity on Cloud Kingdom in PvZ when defending your third (assuming you're taking a (9:00 -10:30 third)? I've tried both walling in front of my third nexus and walling off the ramp leading to my natural with little to no simcity at my third. When walling my natural ramp I feel like my third is too exposed, and the nexus can be easily sniped by roaches when my immortal count is a bit low, and there's little I can do about it. But when walling in front of my third I feel like the zerg has an opportunity to get a really good surround on my army from the natural ramp, and not splitting my army well enough can be really unforgiving. Neither option seems to be ideal. What do you guys do?


the wall in at the natural is for sure the best, then you can forget 1 attackway and defend the others, that s key to defending expansion vs zerg agression
ThyLastPenguin
Profile Joined September 2011
United Kingdom101 Posts
October 02 2012 06:59 GMT
#6803
How come 17 nexus is the norm when going nexus first FFE?
I would have assumed that 18 nexus would be better, as you'd have the extra probe mining for the whole time before you get that second pylon.
Ofc, I'm not saying I know better, just saying what my first thoughts were.
"Stephano is pretty much saving SC2 one hidden knife and pedophile joke at a time." - Fionn
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
October 02 2012 07:29 GMT
#6804
On October 02 2012 13:59 Chandra wrote:
What's your preferred method for simcity on Cloud Kingdom in PvZ when defending your third (assuming you're taking a (9:00 -10:30 third)? I've tried both walling in front of my third nexus and walling off the ramp leading to my natural with little to no simcity at my third. When walling my natural ramp I feel like my third is too exposed, and the nexus can be easily sniped by roaches when my immortal count is a bit low, and there's little I can do about it. But when walling in front of my third I feel like the zerg has an opportunity to get a really good surround on my army from the natural ramp, and not splitting my army well enough can be really unforgiving. Neither option seems to be ideal. What do you guys do?


I wall my natural and also place a couple of cannons at my third, while having a spotter probe/pylon on the side and an obs down both ramps. That allows me to know which side any zerg force is coming from, and i can reposition my army correctly.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
October 02 2012 23:07 GMT
#6805
--- Nuked ---
WonDeRSC
Profile Joined June 2011
United States234 Posts
October 03 2012 01:26 GMT
#6806
On October 02 2012 15:59 ThyLastPenguin wrote:
How come 17 nexus is the norm when going nexus first FFE?
I would have assumed that 18 nexus would be better, as you'd have the extra probe mining for the whole time before you get that second pylon.
Ofc, I'm not saying I know better, just saying what my first thoughts were.


I think it has to do with how chronoboost lines up when going forge fast expand, and I guess some efficiency is lost when you can't build your probe as fast, so getting your expansion up faster allows you to save up more chrono to use on later probes.
Caponed
Profile Joined July 2010
United States46 Posts
October 03 2012 01:44 GMT
#6807
Hi guys, I'm plat protoss, and I have a problem pvz. I basically got to plat on my (diamond level?) pvp and pvt skills alone. My problem is that I used to just either 7 gate or 2stargate zergs. These both came to a halt in mid-plat, and I've been working hard to fix up my pvz skills. I have had absolutely no luck with anything. I basically can't get into the lategame. I feel like if I play passive, I just get maxed on and rolled over. If I do something like immortal sentry, I get killed by lings or mutas. If I go stalkers, I get killed by roaches. Any tips for getting to the late game? Should I be doing timing pokes? Anyone reccommend a good safe build? Every build I come across basically gets killed by either lings or mutas, and my opponent always seems to know which to do.
MysteryMeat1
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States3292 Posts
October 03 2012 02:03 GMT
#6808
On October 02 2012 16:29 Teoita wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 02 2012 13:59 Chandra wrote:
What's your preferred method for simcity on Cloud Kingdom in PvZ when defending your third (assuming you're taking a (9:00 -10:30 third)? I've tried both walling in front of my third nexus and walling off the ramp leading to my natural with little to no simcity at my third. When walling my natural ramp I feel like my third is too exposed, and the nexus can be easily sniped by roaches when my immortal count is a bit low, and there's little I can do about it. But when walling in front of my third I feel like the zerg has an opportunity to get a really good surround on my army from the natural ramp, and not splitting my army well enough can be really unforgiving. Neither option seems to be ideal. What do you guys do?


I wall my natural and also place a couple of cannons at my third, while having a spotter probe/pylon on the side and an obs down both ramps. That allows me to know which side any zerg force is coming from, and i can reposition my army correctly.



also a good way to deal with aggresion while taking your third is simcity with gateways and what not. If you spot an attack coming you position your army at the third with one sentry at the main ramp (with rocks). This way you don't have to worry about splitting your units perfectly. If you get the optimal 6-7 sentries you can afford to leave one sentry behind until you have enough obs out to always spot his army.. Later on i like to wall the ramp and leave a zealot on hold position.
"Cause ya know, Style before victory." -The greatest mafia player alive
Ea
Profile Joined March 2011
United States121 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-03 02:41:32
October 03 2012 02:29 GMT
#6809
Hi guys, today I've been playing a lot of zerg who cried about my all-ins, and in particular, they all said "god it's bullshit like this and the 16 min 3 base timing that makes zvp so hard." Bullshit being ez 2 base win builds

But my question is what is this 16 min 3 base timing they talk about? I'm mid masters and I dont think I ever attack at 16 min with 3 base. My impression of zvp is that by 16 min, blords+infestors are out, so what's the point in attacking straight into a time where zerg composition is ideal?

etherealfall
Profile Joined December 2011
Australia476 Posts
October 03 2012 03:11 GMT
#6810
On October 03 2012 11:29 Ea wrote:
Hi guys, today I've been playing a lot of zerg who cried about my all-ins, and in particular, they all said "god it's bullshit like this and the 16 min 3 base timing that makes zvp so hard." Bullshit being ez 2 base win builds

But my question is what is this 16 min 3 base timing they talk about? I'm mid masters and I dont think I ever attack at 16 min with 3 base. My impression of zvp is that by 16 min, blords+infestors are out, so what's the point in attacking straight into a time where zerg composition is ideal?



You're right, it shouldn't be a 16min attack. Though it would also depend on how aggressive they were in the midgame. Perhaps their roach attacks aren't doing anything, they tech too slow and get BLs around 18-20mins? I primarily push around 13:30-14mins as a pre-BL timing.
blooblooblahblah
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia4163 Posts
October 03 2012 03:43 GMT
#6811
On October 03 2012 12:11 etherealfall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2012 11:29 Ea wrote:
Hi guys, today I've been playing a lot of zerg who cried about my all-ins, and in particular, they all said "god it's bullshit like this and the 16 min 3 base timing that makes zvp so hard." Bullshit being ez 2 base win builds

But my question is what is this 16 min 3 base timing they talk about? I'm mid masters and I dont think I ever attack at 16 min with 3 base. My impression of zvp is that by 16 min, blords+infestors are out, so what's the point in attacking straight into a time where zerg composition is ideal?



You're right, it shouldn't be a 16min attack. Though it would also depend on how aggressive they were in the midgame. Perhaps their roach attacks aren't doing anything, they tech too slow and get BLs around 18-20mins? I primarily push around 13:30-14mins as a pre-BL timing.


Yeah, i think the 16minute attack was back when the 12 minute max was extremely common or at least some fairly heavy lair play. If ur playing someone who is rushing hive, doing a 16-17 minute timing will probably not turn out well for u.
Ganzi beat me without stim. Ostojiy beat me with a nydus. Siphonn beat me with probes. Revival beat my sentry-immortal all-in.
-Celestial-
Profile Joined September 2011
United Kingdom3867 Posts
October 03 2012 09:21 GMT
#6812
Lately I've been having horrendous problems with PvP mainly due to Colossi. I've somehow lost my "feel" for when to start Colossus production and instead have got into the awful habit of doing it reactively every game, leading to repeated losses.

Anyone got a recommendation for a standard point for building the robo bay?
"Protoss simultaneously feels unbeatably strong and unwinnably weak." - kcdc
ujonecro
Profile Joined September 2010
United Kingdom846 Posts
October 03 2012 10:10 GMT
#6813
Does anybody know the build order Raind just used? That 1 gate robo into another gate and nexus.
[UoN]Sentinel
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States11320 Posts
October 03 2012 10:18 GMT
#6814
On October 03 2012 10:44 Caponed wrote:
Hi guys, I'm plat protoss, and I have a problem pvz. I basically got to plat on my (diamond level?) pvp and pvt skills alone. My problem is that I used to just either 7 gate or 2stargate zergs. These both came to a halt in mid-plat, and I've been working hard to fix up my pvz skills. I have had absolutely no luck with anything. I basically can't get into the lategame. I feel like if I play passive, I just get maxed on and rolled over. If I do something like immortal sentry, I get killed by lings or mutas. If I go stalkers, I get killed by roaches. Any tips for getting to the late game? Should I be doing timing pokes? Anyone reccommend a good safe build? Every build I come across basically gets killed by either lings or mutas, and my opponent always seems to know which to do.


First off, check out this build. It uses Zealot pressure to take out his third while you can tech to any gas-intensive unit of your choice.

I think the big problem you have is scouting. Have an observer in his base at all times and look at his army and tech. If his spire is making, either build a stargate and chrono phoenixes (this is only if the spire has been making for less than 20 seconds) or get some cannons and stalkers as appropriate.

When you're not moving out, have some stalkers patrolling the outskirts of your base. Kill all of his scouting overlords because that's probably why. If there aren't any scouting overlords, watch for changelings.

Generally, have good scouting and map control, because these two seem to be the reason Zergs are beating you so easily based on your writing.
Нас зовет дух отцов, память старых бойцов, дух Москвы и твердыня Полтавы
etherealfall
Profile Joined December 2011
Australia476 Posts
October 03 2012 10:36 GMT
#6815
On October 03 2012 18:21 Lightspeaker wrote:
Lately I've been having horrendous problems with PvP mainly due to Colossi. I've somehow lost my "feel" for when to start Colossus production and instead have got into the awful habit of doing it reactively every game, leading to repeated losses.

Anyone got a recommendation for a standard point for building the robo bay?


You need to let us know when and what tips you off for colossus production. Replays will help us understand your thought process. You have to understand that sometimes it can be a bit of a gamble in teching.
[UoN]Sentinel
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States11320 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-03 19:01:19
October 03 2012 18:58 GMT
#6816
On October 03 2012 18:21 Lightspeaker wrote:
Lately I've been having horrendous problems with PvP mainly due to Colossi. I've somehow lost my "feel" for when to start Colossus production and instead have got into the awful habit of doing it reactively every game, leading to repeated losses.

Anyone got a recommendation for a standard point for building the robo bay?


Generally, if you see that at full 2-base saturation you have at least 150 minerals and gas lying around after a warp cycle and you don't have things (+1 attack, charge, blink) that you immediately want researched, get that robo bay. You should make colossus when they are economically viable. No sooner, no later. If you still find yourself behind, expand to a third at a reasonable point in the game and get a second robo.

For specific timings it really depends on the build you do, like the poster above me mentioned.
Нас зовет дух отцов, память старых бойцов, дух Москвы и твердыня Полтавы
-Celestial-
Profile Joined September 2011
United Kingdom3867 Posts
October 03 2012 19:43 GMT
#6817
On October 03 2012 19:36 etherealfall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2012 18:21 Lightspeaker wrote:
Lately I've been having horrendous problems with PvP mainly due to Colossi. I've somehow lost my "feel" for when to start Colossus production and instead have got into the awful habit of doing it reactively every game, leading to repeated losses.

Anyone got a recommendation for a standard point for building the robo bay?


You need to let us know when and what tips you off for colossus production. Replays will help us understand your thought process. You have to understand that sometimes it can be a bit of a gamble in teching.


I'm at work at the moment, I'll have to try dig something out when I get home. But like I said, I tend to do it reactively. As in I'll see my opponent with a Colossus and go "oh crap, need Colossus" then throw down the Robo bay. Its an awful way to play but I seem to have completely lost my previous feel for it.
"Protoss simultaneously feels unbeatably strong and unwinnably weak." - kcdc
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
October 03 2012 19:50 GMT
#6818
On October 04 2012 04:43 Lightspeaker wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 03 2012 19:36 etherealfall wrote:
On October 03 2012 18:21 Lightspeaker wrote:
Lately I've been having horrendous problems with PvP mainly due to Colossi. I've somehow lost my "feel" for when to start Colossus production and instead have got into the awful habit of doing it reactively every game, leading to repeated losses.

Anyone got a recommendation for a standard point for building the robo bay?


You need to let us know when and what tips you off for colossus production. Replays will help us understand your thought process. You have to understand that sometimes it can be a bit of a gamble in teching.


I'm at work at the moment, I'll have to try dig something out when I get home. But like I said, I tend to do it reactively. As in I'll see my opponent with a Colossus and go "oh crap, need Colossus" then throw down the Robo bay. Its an awful way to play but I seem to have completely lost my previous feel for it.


I'm assuming you're doing robo macro builds that try to get to the late game. In that case you should be putting down the robo bay immediately after you get an immortal out. Maybe 2 or more if you don't feel safe or your opponent is doing a blink opener. You don't need many sentries or additional stalkers early on in the game. It's perfectly fine to blindly put down a robo bay before you scout what your opponent is doing, you can always cancel it or not use it if it turns out your opponent is going phoenix or something.
ObamaToss
Profile Joined June 2012
United States24 Posts
October 03 2012 20:40 GMT
#6819
I was just watching Grubby cast Titan vs Select (Game 7) from the PSL. (I didnt catch the start of the game) Titan did some sort of DT into colossus style. Grubby mentioned that it was similar to By.Rain's style vs Taeja in GSL Code S Ro16. Could anyone shed some light on a basic opening for this style and how it plays out? I enjoy mid-game aggression and throwing my opponent off his game, and this seems like a cool way to do it in pvt.

Thanks
The original Obamatoss
Gumbi
Profile Joined June 2012
Ireland463 Posts
October 03 2012 21:32 GMT
#6820
On October 04 2012 05:40 ObamaToss wrote:
I was just watching Grubby cast Titan vs Select (Game 7) from the PSL. (I didnt catch the start of the game) Titan did some sort of DT into colossus style. Grubby mentioned that it was similar to By.Rain's style vs Taeja in GSL Code S Ro16. Could anyone shed some light on a basic opening for this style and how it plays out? I enjoy mid-game aggression and throwing my opponent off his game, and this seems like a cool way to do it in pvt.

Thanks

IIRC, Rain opened DTs (by getting 2 gases and putting 2 in each Sase style, adding a third when the scouting SCV was scared away). Dropped a base and 2 more gates (total 3 now), did some damage with his initial DTs. he then transitioned into a more standard style. I recommend the game, it was basically a perfect PvT from both sides until the end. Fantastic game.
Prev 1 339 340 341 342 343 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
00:00
#101 (PatchesSC Mod Edition)
PiGStarcraft476
CranKy Ducklings72
EnkiAlexander 32
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft476
RuFF_SC2 126
CosmosSc2 61
Nina 59
-ZergGirl 0
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2262
Artosis 608
yabsab 4
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
febbydoto9
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1137
taco 351
minikerr14
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox591
Other Games
summit1g8385
JimRising 659
Day[9].tv473
C9.Mang0369
ViBE152
Maynarde149
Livibee113
ArmadaUGS35
Sick3
WinterStarcraft0
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1066
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream138
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP28
• OhrlRock 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv473
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
8h 40m
Stellar Fest
10h 40m
The PondCast
1d 7h
OSC
1d 10h
Stellar Fest
1d 10h
OSC
1d 21h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.