• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:04
CEST 05:04
KST 12:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7400 users

The Protoss Help Me Thread - Page 339

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 337 338 339 340 341 432 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action.
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-29 20:33:21
September 29 2012 20:33 GMT
#6761
--- Nuked ---
Jaziek
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom27 Posts
September 30 2012 08:32 GMT
#6762
I'd like some input on some PvTs I played today. They're some of the best games I've played, mechanically speaking, the two on entombed especially, but I can still see that its incredibly sloppy in some places. I'd like some input strategy wise, 'cos I feel like there are holes in the way I'm playing the matchup, but I don't know exactly how to make it more safe. Mechanically, I feel like my upgrades were a little slow in all the games, and I'm missing cancels. I don't think I get enough production in the super late game, and obviously less supply blocks is always a good thing.

http://drop.sc/259317
http://drop.sc/259318
http://drop.sc/259319

Any and all criticism is very much appreciated.
Gumbi
Profile Joined June 2012
Ireland463 Posts
September 30 2012 09:44 GMT
#6763
On September 30 2012 05:33 Sated wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 30 2012 05:30 AGIANTSMURF wrote:
On September 30 2012 04:22 EtherealDeath wrote:
Is there a non dice rolley PvP build/heuristics? It's kind of annoying cause I end up coin tossing every game and thus have an under 50% win rate in PvP lol.... while maintaining >80% winrate in PvT and PvZ (at ~GM mmr)



I've managed a consistant 60-70% win rate in pvp over the last few months doing mostly 2-3 gate robo expand into macro.

i veto antiga, taldarim and shakuras. so the remaining maps are pretty safe for such a build.

It all comes down to scouting, unit control and overall understanding of whats going on however.

I always have problems against Blink Obs play when I use 2 Gate Robo builds, specifically on Cloud Kingdom. How do you deal with that..?

Firstly, especially on Antiga, you need to place your Robo in a safe position. I do a Gate Nexus Robo Gate expand; greedy but it works. I delay the expo based on scouting. I only do this version vs. double gas triple Chrono on Nexus and greediest Gate (13 Gate). If no that I basically get my other Robo and Gate before expanding.

I place my second Pylon behind the Assim by the ramp, that way I can drop the Robo on the low ground, perfectly safe from Blink Stalkers.

Versus Blink Stalkers, you need to read it as early as possible, so that you can appropriately pump Immortals. You don't want to have any more than one Immortal vs DT/Archon play, for example. This involves a follow up probe scout after expanding, which scouts his composition. Ofc the usual scouting for proxy Pylons with your first few GW units applies too. When you scout Blink Stalkers (VERY common on Antiga), you need to pump Immortals add have some GW units to back it up (mostly Stalkers). Here comes the hard part: a lot of the game has come down to a micro battle. Can you out micro your opponent? This involves splitting your army appropriately, preventing your ramp from being FFed , pulling Probes at appropriate times, etc etc. Pump Immortals appropriately, make sure you have 3 Gates. Once you have stabilised (it takes a min or two to stabilise vs Blink Stalkers if one does a Robo based expand), you should get more Observers (you should already have one), to try and prevent him Blinking into your main anymore.

That's all the help I can offer for now.

Hope this helps! Anyone else feel free to critique that which I've suggested.
DestinedOne
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada84 Posts
September 30 2012 22:36 GMT
#6764
Id just like to inquire about a good Immortal/SpeedPrism opening in PvP. Ive searched around and have found nothing recently dated... Does anyone have a general buildorder I might be able to use? <3 Ty in advance!
Altnob
Profile Joined November 2010
39 Posts
October 01 2012 05:45 GMT
#6765
How can you tell your opponent is going dts in PvP?
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
October 01 2012 05:58 GMT
#6766
Id just like to inquire about a good Immortal/SpeedPrism opening in PvP. Ive searched around and have found nothing recently dated... Does anyone have a general buildorder I might be able to use? <3 Ty in advance!


If done blindly it's terrible and quite risky as both phoenix and blink stalker openings shut it down hardcore. It's usually done as a reaction when both players are going for some sort of robo build (which implies a low stalker count), in which case it's very strong.

ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Quochobao
Profile Joined October 2010
United States350 Posts
October 01 2012 06:35 GMT
#6767
On October 01 2012 14:45 Altnob wrote:
How can you tell your opponent is going dts in PvP?


Search for [G] PvP robo twilight by monk ( I think?)

Since scouting is of utmost importance to that build, he did discuss how to scout dts
(the gist is to scout how much gas your opponent is spending on sentries/stalkers, If not a lot, suspect dts)
Best or nothing.
Gamma4
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia75 Posts
October 01 2012 06:39 GMT
#6768
what does WIP mean? for defending stephano roaches
Just Huking around ;)
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
October 01 2012 06:41 GMT
#6769
On October 01 2012 15:39 Gamma4 wrote:
what does WIP mean? for defending stephano roaches

Work in Progress, yo.
Moderator
vision810
Profile Joined December 2010
Slovenia17 Posts
October 01 2012 07:13 GMT
#6770
I've got a question regarding 1g expands in PvT. The common followups are either 2 gates then a robo, or a robo first then 2 gates. I'm wondering what the trigger is for choosing one or the other. Thanks!
Abusion
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom184 Posts
October 01 2012 07:46 GMT
#6771
On October 01 2012 16:13 vision810 wrote:
I've got a question regarding 1g expands in PvT. The common followups are either 2 gates then a robo, or a robo first then 2 gates. I'm wondering what the trigger is for choosing one or the other. Thanks!


If you scout the CC you can go robo then 2 gates but be aware on some maps you won't be able to hold an expansion against a 4 rax marine pressure after 1 rax expo. Following up the 1 gate expand into 2 gates then a robo is safer and you should do it if you can't scout the CC or he went gas.
Pylons + Probes
RaClaw
Profile Joined January 2012
Turkey114 Posts
October 01 2012 08:28 GMT
#6772
On October 01 2012 14:45 Altnob wrote:
How can you tell your opponent is going dts in PvP?


If your opponnet took 2 gas early and he is low on units which is needs gas. Also there is twilight council after 1 gate. So it's probably DT build.
vision810
Profile Joined December 2010
Slovenia17 Posts
October 01 2012 08:37 GMT
#6773
On October 01 2012 16:46 Abusion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 01 2012 16:13 vision810 wrote:
I've got a question regarding 1g expands in PvT. The common followups are either 2 gates then a robo, or a robo first then 2 gates. I'm wondering what the trigger is for choosing one or the other. Thanks!


If you scout the CC you can go robo then 2 gates but be aware on some maps you won't be able to hold an expansion against a 4 rax marine pressure after 1 rax expo. Following up the 1 gate expand into 2 gates then a robo is safer and you should do it if you can't scout the CC or he went gas.

Yeah that's my main issue with robo then 2 gates. So there's always some risk involved when going robo then 2 gates?
Abusion
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom184 Posts
October 01 2012 09:19 GMT
#6774
On October 01 2012 17:37 vision810 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 01 2012 16:46 Abusion wrote:
On October 01 2012 16:13 vision810 wrote:
I've got a question regarding 1g expands in PvT. The common followups are either 2 gates then a robo, or a robo first then 2 gates. I'm wondering what the trigger is for choosing one or the other. Thanks!


If you scout the CC you can go robo then 2 gates but be aware on some maps you won't be able to hold an expansion against a 4 rax marine pressure after 1 rax expo. Following up the 1 gate expand into 2 gates then a robo is safer and you should do it if you can't scout the CC or he went gas.

Yeah that's my main issue with robo then 2 gates. So there's always some risk involved when going robo then 2 gates?


Yes but bear in mind that 4 rax marines has gone 'out of fashion' a lot recently and that an earlier robo means a faster obs and therefore faster scouting information.
Pylons + Probes
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-01 09:48:28
October 01 2012 09:47 GMT
#6775
On October 01 2012 16:46 Abusion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 01 2012 16:13 vision810 wrote:
I've got a question regarding 1g expands in PvT. The common followups are either 2 gates then a robo, or a robo first then 2 gates. I'm wondering what the trigger is for choosing one or the other. Thanks!


If you scout the CC you can go robo then 2 gates but be aware on some maps you won't be able to hold an expansion against a 4 rax marine pressure after 1 rax expo. Following up the 1 gate expand into 2 gates then a robo is safer and you should do it if you can't scout the CC or he went gas.


You can still kind of hold it if you have really good micro, pull a few probes, and most importantly make units off your first gate nonstop; in an old TL replay pack HerO holds off 5rax marine on close spawns Antiga while going 1gate->robo->super fast support bay. I am playing around with a faster robo lately (i had always gone 3gate into robo before) and it's working out ok.

Also, fast robo as opposed to faster 2 gates is obviously better against banshee openings, especially with cloak, and pure marine/tank timings (qtip in his original guide on 111 defense in fact suggested to always go fast robo when you see signs of 111), but it's worse against a hellion drop with 8 marine poke as the faster robo means you will have 5-6 units out as opposed to the 7-8 that you need to easily defend that kind of attack, and that you would get with 3gates before robo.

Lastly, fast robo is pretty terrible against a bio pressure build like 2rax reactor first, or 3rax marine before cc. In that case you need the extra production.

All in all, it's a bit risky and greedy but for the most part it's doable.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
tuukster
Profile Joined April 2010
Finland114 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-01 11:30:52
October 01 2012 11:10 GMT
#6776
On September 30 2012 17:32 Jaziek wrote:
I'd like some input on some PvTs I played today. They're some of the best games I've played, mechanically speaking, the two on entombed especially, but I can still see that its incredibly sloppy in some places. I'd like some input strategy wise, 'cos I feel like there are holes in the way I'm playing the matchup, but I don't know exactly how to make it more safe. Mechanically, I feel like my upgrades were a little slow in all the games, and I'm missing cancels. I don't think I get enough production in the super late game, and obviously less supply blocks is always a good thing.

http://drop.sc/259317
http://drop.sc/259318
http://drop.sc/259319

Any and all criticism is very much appreciated.


rep..17: vs. Carbon (entombed valley)
Do you really play without hotkeys for your units? I strongly recommend using hotkeys, it will make microing so much easier. You should find a setup that feels best for you, e.g. I use the following: 1 slower units (zealots, immos, sentries, colossi), 2 stalkers, 3 HT, 4 colossi. Forcefielding, guardian shield, blinking, storming... so much easier and faster with good hotkeys.

You got supply blocked at around 90 food. Instead of building 8 pylons, you can settle for 3-4, build additional gateways and just warp more units when your pylons finish. Overall you needed more gateways since you were going templar tech in the midgame.

After seeing your templars, terrans will get ghosts so you should remember to build those observers early on so you can spot the ghosts and avoid those catastrophic EMPs you got hit in your first big battle. There's definitely time to squeeze out a few observers before your robo bay starts/finishes.


rep..18: vs. cmdiep (entombed valley)
Again, hotkeys would have been very useful. When he came with his first push at around 11:00, you could have ended the game right there. A couple of forcefields behind his army and bam, he is dead. But you had everything in a big blob, which will make HTs the priority unit so you need to select sentries separately to hit those forcefields.


rep..19: vs. NaDa (tal'darim altar)
Be careful where you build your tech structures (robo bay at natural). Center of your base is almost always better than on the edges of expansions.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.
Gumbi
Profile Joined June 2012
Ireland463 Posts
October 01 2012 11:28 GMT
#6777
Seeing as this is a general thread, I don't feel this is off-topic.

Personally I think some people mis-use hotkeys to the point of inefficiency. You use 4 army hotkeys? I have my whole army one 1 and individually control my various tech units, using shift/control clicks appropriately. An example might be retreating your Collossuses, I control-click one and pull them all back.

1-4/5 is all I use. 4 for my Nexuses, 3 for a Prism, 2 for Obs, 1 for army. 5 for another Obs if necessary.
tuukster
Profile Joined April 2010
Finland114 Posts
October 01 2012 11:37 GMT
#6778
On October 01 2012 20:28 Gumbi wrote:
Seeing as this is a general thread, I don't feel this is off-topic.

Personally I think some people mis-use hotkeys to the point of inefficiency. You use 4 army hotkeys? I have my whole army one 1 and individually control my various tech units, using shift/control clicks appropriately. An example might be retreating your Collossuses, I control-click one and pull them all back.

1-4/5 is all I use. 4 for my Nexuses, 3 for a Prism, 2 for Obs, 1 for army. 5 for another Obs if necessary.


Hotkeys will save you time, since you don't have to pinpoint those tech units from the middle of your army during a hectic battle. Missclicks are bound to happen. Pressing "3" is a lot easier.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.
Abusion
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom184 Posts
October 01 2012 11:40 GMT
#6779
On October 01 2012 20:28 Gumbi wrote:
Seeing as this is a general thread, I don't feel this is off-topic.

Personally I think some people mis-use hotkeys to the point of inefficiency. You use 4 army hotkeys? I have my whole army one 1 and individually control my various tech units, using shift/control clicks appropriately. An example might be retreating your Collossuses, I control-click one and pull them all back.

1-4/5 is all I use. 4 for my Nexuses, 3 for a Prism, 2 for Obs, 1 for army. 5 for another Obs if necessary.


I really think using more hotkeys is better overall than using less. However, if you feel comfortable and it's working for you then great! I used to use 1 but having sentry's and templar on the same hotkey really messed me up as losing a game because you try forcefielding and you've selected HT's is infuriating ^^.

I now use 3. 1-sentry/zealot/collosus 2-stalker 3-HT. But like I said if you're finding your hotkeys comfortable for you then keep using them but be aware that having even 1 extra hotkey for your army might be beneficial.
Pylons + Probes
Gumbi
Profile Joined June 2012
Ireland463 Posts
October 01 2012 11:58 GMT
#6780
Reaching hotkeys after 6 is awkward for me (with practise I guess I could manage 6, but it's definitely awkward after that).

I use tabbing for abilities. I find it much faster. The only trick is to learn the priorities of the abilities; for example, if I want to FF with a sentry templar army, I need to press 1 tab f click-to-place.

Vs Muta I split my army into 2 groups, the rest I manually control.
Prev 1 337 338 339 340 341 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 56m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft444
RuFF_SC2 158
Nina 85
-ZergGirl 84
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2329
Bale 18
Terrorterran 14
yabsab 10
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
febbydoto12
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1138
taco 405
minikerr19
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox557
Other Games
summit1g8280
JimRising 688
Day[9].tv484
C9.Mang0357
WinterStarcraft270
ViBE176
Maynarde148
Livibee140
Sick121
ArmadaUGS26
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick982
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream153
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Response 14
• OhrlRock 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv484
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
7h 56m
Stellar Fest
9h 56m
The PondCast
1d 6h
OSC
1d 9h
Stellar Fest
1d 9h
OSC
1d 20h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.