• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:35
CEST 05:35
KST 12:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8064 users

The Protoss Help Me Thread - Page 338

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 336 337 338 339 340 432 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action.
Drizzle.
Profile Joined September 2012
United States6 Posts
September 28 2012 23:13 GMT
#6741
I've been experimenting with a build that takes gas before forge, in order to get upgrades ASAP. Is gas before forge/gateway simply ridiculous? Or is it viable?
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
September 28 2012 23:53 GMT
#6742
pretty ridiculous
what're you going to do with such a fast upgrade anyway?
Getting back into sc2 O_o
Zealot Lord
Profile Joined May 2010
Hong Kong748 Posts
September 28 2012 23:58 GMT
#6743
On September 29 2012 08:13 Drizzle. wrote:
I've been experimenting with a build that takes gas before forge, in order to get upgrades ASAP. Is gas before forge/gateway simply ridiculous? Or is it viable?


I assume this is PvZ - unfortunately it doesn't really make much sense resource allocation wise. Having probes on the assimilator that early on a FFE is going to cripple you economically, your nexus/cannon/gateway etc. are all going to be significantly delayed. Not to mention because everything is so delayed, there won't be any good timings to hit either. There's also no way you'd be able to hold any sort of early busts due to lack of minerals, you won't be able to walloff with buildings.

Now if its gas before gate (if you doing a gateway expand) has been done a few times before on GSL - I remember Genius & Trickster doing it, however it wasn't for upgrades, it was for a quicker cheese (DTs & void rays).


-----

congrats on the blue Teoita! well deserved!
garsh0p
Profile Joined February 2010
United States30 Posts
September 29 2012 09:07 GMT
#6744
what are the most common all-ins in PvP? looking for some new builds to play around with

User was warned for this post
TheEmulator
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
28103 Posts
September 29 2012 09:21 GMT
#6745
On September 29 2012 18:07 garsh0p wrote:
what are the most common all-ins in PvP? looking for some new builds to play around with

3 gate blink stalker all-in, dt rush, proxy gate,cannon rush. Probably a lot more than this though, I am a Terran player so my knowledge of pvp outside watching tourneys is lacking.

Administrator
Lazrar
Profile Joined September 2011
Sweden4 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-29 09:44:49
September 29 2012 09:41 GMT
#6746
what are the most common all-ins in PvP? looking for some new builds to play around with



The most common all-ins in my experience are: 4 gate, 1 base collosus, phoenix 4 gate, DT's into zealot/chargelot-archon attack, 4 gate blink, phoenix into mass immortal attack, and 4 gate warp prism. This is my experience from high master though... but there are tons of all-ins in PVP.
Live like you would live for a day, Learn like you would live forever
rEalGuapo
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany832 Posts
September 29 2012 15:04 GMT
#6747
So, there is a new trend in PvT and this trend is Hellions.

I am pretty good at dealing with the first 4 in the early game, they usually do little to no damage and no eco damage.

Afterwards when I am at 3-5 bases however I have no idea how to deal with them. He just suicides 20 Hellions and I lose 2-3 bases worth of Probes completely destroying my economy and winning the game for Terran.

I am High Master EU and I already have 3-7 Cannons per base, the problem is that I cannot kill the Hellions fast enough.

Zerg is under the same pressure lately, however they can just get 30 new Drones in under 20 seconds..
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-29 15:20:57
September 29 2012 15:20 GMT
#6748
^Simcity against hellions is a must, always. Even for Zerg, and we have speedlings and creep.

Basically wall off everywhere with 1-2 cannons, and have a STALKER at each choke point to wall off. I also recommend making a cannon ring to deny BFH drops.

On a map like Cloud, wall off your natural at the ramp slightly past your nat, have a few cannons behind it. Wall off the alleyway by your third, have some cannons there. Have some cannons on the ridge between your main/third, have some behind your natural mineral line, and voila you can push him going down your third ramp without having to worry about hellions. He's investing 2k minerals, you can invest equal or more to defend it. And static D is always more cost efficient than units.

Edit: I'm nowhere near high masters, but IMO hellions are a lot like ling/bane run-bys vs Z. No sim-city and you're just dead. Or at least your probes are.
Getting back into sc2 O_o
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-29 15:23:18
September 29 2012 15:20 GMT
#6749
--- Nuked ---
kcdc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2311 Posts
September 29 2012 16:14 GMT
#6750
Yeah, the problem with hellions in PvT is that your primary ranged units (stalkers) have garbage DPS. Often, you're 100% in position, but you just can't kill the hellions fast enough to save your probes. It's a frustrating mechanic.
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
September 29 2012 16:26 GMT
#6751
Is it worth it to storm a muta flock that's over my probes?
I'm basically killing EVERY probe to do SOME damage to the mutas, it just doesn't seem worth it. but if I don't storm, the mutas kill all the probes anyway and take a lot less damage...I just can't bring myself to storm my own probes lol, should I though?
Getting back into sc2 O_o
SidewinderSC2
Profile Joined November 2011
United States236 Posts
September 29 2012 17:39 GMT
#6752
On September 30 2012 01:26 Mavvie wrote:
Is it worth it to storm a muta flock that's over my probes?
I'm basically killing EVERY probe to do SOME damage to the mutas, it just doesn't seem worth it. but if I don't storm, the mutas kill all the probes anyway and take a lot less damage...I just can't bring myself to storm my own probes lol, should I though?


You should already be pulling probes away from harassment anyway, so this really shouldn't be an issue. If you sit your probes in the place that they can easily kill them, no matter what you do afterward is really worth it. Just box your probes, run away and then figure out what's best to use to deal with the harassment.
Bahajinbo
Profile Joined May 2012
Germany488 Posts
September 29 2012 18:32 GMT
#6753
How can I punish a failed 2 rax effectively? I just lost to a Terran who opened 2 rax with fast Stim and held his push barely. I opened up 2 Gate Robo after seeing the 2 rax and 1 gas.
After his attack I expanded and built some Colossi to defend, but my question is: Shall I attack him off 1 base with 2 Colossi and some Immortals?
Havik_
Profile Joined November 2011
United States5585 Posts
September 29 2012 18:35 GMT
#6754
Does anyone have a thread or guide on the Gateway expand build Naniwa used against DRG in the Ro8 of code S last season?? I really want to start using that build, but need a good guide on it. I know its 14 gate, 17 pylon, 17 Nexus, but I'm not sure what to scout for and how to respond after that.
"An opinion is only as good as the evidence that backs it up."- William O'Malley, S.J.
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
September 29 2012 18:36 GMT
#6755
^I thought that you're meant to go 1G FE with a 30 nexus against a 2rax... You chrono stalkers twice, then make a sentry. Cut probes at 30, get a nexus and 2 more gates. If you can't rule out banshees (no bunker, can't see any rauders, no TL on rax), then you get a robo ASAP.
Basically, your expo should be around finished when his 2rax hits, and is usually right when your WG tech and 3 gates total finish. 3 more stalkers gives you 1z5s and 2 FF against whatever he has. Followup observers to scout blah blah blah, transition into standard PvT macro game (colossi into double forge, double forge into colossi, blink into fast third, etc)
Getting back into sc2 O_o
rd
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2586 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-29 19:10:28
September 29 2012 19:08 GMT
#6756
On September 30 2012 03:32 Bahajinbo wrote:
How can I punish a failed 2 rax effectively? I just lost to a Terran who opened 2 rax with fast Stim and held his push barely. I opened up 2 Gate Robo after seeing the 2 rax and 1 gas.
After his attack I expanded and built some Colossi to defend, but my question is: Shall I attack him off 1 base with 2 Colossi and some Immortals?


2 rax pressure or some pseudo-2 rax all-in with stim? The fact you didn't expand til after you held and lost as much units as he did (i'm defining "barely held" with this assumption) leaves no room to "punish" as the game has effectively been reset. Unless he was one-basing hard and you held with an expo, there isn't much room to transition into a reactive all-in.
EtherealDeath
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States8366 Posts
September 29 2012 19:22 GMT
#6757
Is there a non dice rolley PvP build/heuristics? It's kind of annoying cause I end up coin tossing every game and thus have an under 50% win rate in PvP lol.... while maintaining >80% winrate in PvT and PvZ (at ~GM mmr)
Lazrar
Profile Joined September 2011
Sweden4 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-29 20:06:45
September 29 2012 20:00 GMT
#6758
Is there a non dice rolley PvP build/heuristics? It's kind of annoying cause I end up coin tossing every game and thus have an under 50% win rate in PvP lol.... while maintaining >80% winrate in PvT and PvZ (at ~GM mmr)


I think PVP is always somewhat of a dice roll. But the least dicey ones IMO are: Blink-obs, robo expand, phoenix and 2 gate pressure expand. It's kinda map dependant though.
Live like you would live for a day, Learn like you would live forever
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-29 20:34:49
September 29 2012 20:21 GMT
#6759
--- Nuked ---
AGIANTSMURF
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1232 Posts
September 29 2012 20:30 GMT
#6760
On September 30 2012 04:22 EtherealDeath wrote:
Is there a non dice rolley PvP build/heuristics? It's kind of annoying cause I end up coin tossing every game and thus have an under 50% win rate in PvP lol.... while maintaining >80% winrate in PvT and PvZ (at ~GM mmr)



I've managed a consistant 60-70% win rate in pvp over the last few months doing mostly 2-3 gate robo expand into macro.

i veto antiga, taldarim and shakuras. so the remaining maps are pretty safe for such a build.

It all comes down to scouting, unit control and overall understanding of whats going on however.
Thats "Grand-Master" SMURF to you.....
Prev 1 336 337 338 339 340 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 25m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft392
RuFF_SC2 180
Nina 94
-ZergGirl 65
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2255
Bale 20
yabsab 16
Terrorterran 12
Shuttle 0
Dota 2
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1166
taco 341
minikerr16
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox697
Other Games
summit1g7538
JimRising 710
Day[9].tv505
C9.Mang0330
WinterStarcraft327
ViBE156
Maynarde145
Livibee144
Sick134
ArmadaUGS37
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick965
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream161
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Response 16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv505
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
7h 25m
Stellar Fest
9h 25m
The PondCast
1d 6h
OSC
1d 9h
Stellar Fest
1d 9h
OSC
1d 20h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.