This build was designed for PvP, though I imagine can be used against other races as well as a type of fake 4 gate. The idea behind this build is to get two extremely fast warpgates in order to gain an army value advantage before your opponent gets warpgate finished. I tried for a long time to come up with a 2 gate build that accomplishes this in the new patch, but defender's advantage would always thwart my builds I created. Then I tune into GSTL one day and some MVP member created a much more clever build than the ones I constructed! If executed properly you should be able to get 4 Stalkers 1 Zealot to the enemy ramp @ 5:25.
I was a bit weary of posting this build, since I'm the only one I know of that knows about it. However I decided to share it since I've had my fun being the only one knowing about it on ladder, and haven't posted any builds up recently. I hope you enjoy it as well!
The Opening Build
- 9 Pylon
- 10 Gateway
- Chronoboost Probes
- 12 Assimilator --> Scout Probe
- 15 Cybernetics Core
- 16 Zealot*
- 18 Pylon
- @100% Cybernetics Core: Warpgate Research (Chrono'd); Stalker**
- @22 Supply or 1/3 WG Research: 2nd Gateway
- @100% Stalker: 2nd Stalker
- 26 Proxy Pylon
- @100% WG Tech: Warpin 2 rounds of Stalkers from WarpGates. Chrono Probes or Gates***
- After second warpin round of Stalkers: Add tech of choice; recommend Robotics
- * MVP_Tails attacked across the map with this Zealot, which was actually rather intelligent. Since Tails got a 10 Gate and scouted how much later Hongun's Gate was, there is no way Tails can actually lose his Zealot. There is also the offchance that the Zealot can get into the base uncontested or make your enemy's macro flounder. I recommend doing this as well.
- ** You must have constant chrono on this WG research until it finishes!
- *** Depending on how you want to play the build you will chrono your gates for more aggression, or probes in order to get ahead in economy.
You need to use your first Zealot and Stalker to prevent your proxy pylon from dieing! Study how Tails keeps his Proxy Pylon alive, and starts being really aggressive once his second stalker from his gateway arrives.
There are a few ways to transition from this build. You can try to kill your opponent and actually follow up with a 4 gate, you can use your army advantage from your 2 gate to pick off some probes, thus putting you in a lead to do whatever you want, or you can fake a 4 gate by pretending to contain at the bottom of the ramp, while actually laying down a tech building of your choice. I have even been able to fake a 4 gate and expand, following up with a huge mass of gateway units and warp prisms.
I recommend laying down a Robotics facility after trying to kill some enemy probes, like Tails did vs Hongun. I've found that going straight to Colossus against a bad player is actually a bad thing to do. A smart player will be extremely wary of attacking you after that fiasco, and be afraid of venturing up your ramp. However I've had players that don't understand the game just attack me with blink and allin in desparity, and kill me because I went for super fast Colossus. As Tails did I recommend going for immortals if you open robo, as they seem much more robust and less vulnerable at that stage of the game.
You will have slightly less probes with this build than with a standard opening. This is because you are trading those two probes or so in order to gain a large army advantage, to which you can use to get yourself ahead in both probe count and tech. Be warned that if you have poor execution you will not win any games with this build -it's rather technical and relies pretty heavily on a decent level of competence from the user.
Building Placement (in base)
Take note of how Tails sets up his initial buildings. He places them at the side of his ramp, most likely to help against a counter 4 Gate in the event that the enemy does decide to be counter aggressive. This is probably something you should try to copy, and Tails must have done it out of necessity or for some good reason (probably just so they are in the way or warpins).
Your proxy pylon needs to be in a location near the ramp, but also accessible to you by your initial Stalkers/Zealot. You need to be able to harass the opponent's units in the event they find your pylon to prevent it from being taken down!
- You want to have a Proxy Pylon up, 2 Gateways, 2 Stalkers and a Zealot complete right when WarpGate Research finishes!
- If you encounter the triple stalker opening, then you have to be very careful with laying down the proxy pylons, and might want to actually just get 2 proxy pylons laid down! It is still possible to thwart the triple stalker opening, as you'll have 4 Stalkers and a Zealot to their 3 Stalkers, however if they get a Sentry out before you can get up the ramp, you're best off just faking a 4 Gate and returning to your base.
- Remember, you are trading a little economy for an army value advantage in this build. You must use this army advantage to get ahead of your opponent!
+ Show Spoiler [Screen Shots] +
Tails sniping off 3 probes just as Hongun is finishing WarpGate tech.
Tails Warping in 2 Stalkers from his 2 Gates outside of Hongun's Base.
Replays and VODs
- X - Set 1: MVP_Tails for Hongun.Prime
- More replays will be added -it's really hard to get a good PvP lately due to work/personal matters and NO TOSS ON LADDER. PM me if you want me to own you with this build so we can get a replay